PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Run: Nintendo's first real mobile game

Kchrpm
September 7th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I don't know if this should go here or the Tech forum, but I don't think it matters that much: Nintendo has announced their first actual game for a mobile OS. Introducing Super Mario Run, coming soon to iOS and in the future to Android. No price announced that I've seen, but it will be a flat price with no microtransactions.

http://kotaku.com/official-new-mario-game-announced-for-ios-1786329332
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/mario-is-coming-to-the-iphone/

Super Mario Run stars Mario as he leaps across familiar brick-lined landscapes and platforming levels. It's an endless runner, meaning Mario is constantly on the move. Tap to make Mario jump; the longer you hold your finger down, the higher he flies. Players are able to change Mario's direction and control his movements with the timing of their taps as well. The goal is to grab as many coins as possible and reach the flagpole before time runs out.

There's also a battle mode called "Toad Rally" where players attempt to beat other people's high scores. Super Mario Run features a one-handed mode, too.

Jason
September 7th, 2016, 10:00 AM
It'll be interesting to see if this game's assumed success will have an impact on their portable decisions in the future.

Rare White Ape
September 7th, 2016, 01:31 PM
An endless runner?

For fuck's sake.

At least they're keeping it limited to phones for now.

Tom Servo
September 7th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Total agreement on the for fuck's sake. No evidence that this will be any better than a shitty movie tie-in game. Sounds to me a lot like capitalizing on the name to grab some cash as quickly as possible before everyone finds out how bad it is.

Maybe next we can get a Flappy Bird version of Duck Hunt.

Rare White Ape
September 7th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Eh, I'll still buy it.

21Kid
September 8th, 2016, 06:25 AM
I played one of those running games... once.

Kchrpm
September 8th, 2016, 06:27 AM
It's not like a normal endless runner, from what I understand (I haven't seen any videos, just a few gifs and screenshots). It seems like someone is just holding down right on a Super Mario level. You're still in control of jump timing and height, and you can go backwards. It's not the lane-based gameplay of normal endless runners from what I've seen so far.

21Kid
September 8th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Ah, okay.

Rare White Ape
December 15th, 2016, 01:41 AM
It's December 15. I've been sitting here all evening hitting refresh on the App Store at half-hour-ish intervals and I'm still no closer to playing this game.

What. The. Fuck.

What god damn time is this supposed to be coming out? Any more waiting and I'll quit Apple for ever.

21Kid
December 15th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Well... you are in the future, aren't you?

I like how The Grand Tour releases their shows on GMT. So, everyone knows when it will be out.

Yw-slayer
December 15th, 2016, 07:34 AM
Play a REAL game, like, uh, Future Fight? Gottagobye

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2016, 01:35 AM
I eventually got Super Mario Run this morning when the freakin summertime sun came up and woke me… at 05:30. Ugh. I was in a daze. Fuck being a retail worker at Christmas time. Can't sleep, can't rest.

I tried playing it while semi-conscious and bleary-eyed, paid my monies to unlock the whole thing, did a few stages and went MEH, threw my phone to the side and tried sleeping again. It didn't grab me.

Fast forward to this evening. Yeah. Now I see the genius behind the game. It's really goooood. Miyamoto and his guys are true geniuses. They take away your ability to control Mario's movement to the left and right in the name of hardware, but they add so much to make up for it.

And I also slyly asked my housemate (who rolls her eyes any time I mention video games) to join up so I could add her as a friend to earn some My Nintendo points and she became addicted in five minutes and paid the bloody $15 entry fee and now she's playing and failing and stuck on stage 2-2 like I was and swearing like a pro while playing one handed with a scotch in her other hand. Experiencing the Mario pain and joy just like I have been for years.

Amazing, Nintendo… Amazing.

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2016, 01:38 AM
She's also caught more Pokémon than me as well.

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2016, 01:46 AM
And now we're challenging each other on 2-3 to get all the pink coins and beat each other's coin scores.

balki
December 16th, 2016, 04:03 AM
... It seems like someone is just holding down right on a Super Mario level. You're still in control of jump timing and height, and you can go backwards...
Does not compute

Kchrpm
December 16th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Holding down right, except when you jump off a wall and it lets you go backwards.

21Kid
December 16th, 2016, 06:59 AM
"playing one handed with a scotch in her other hand"

Now I see the genius in this game. ;)

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Holding down right, except when you jump off a wall and it lets you go backwards.

There are also backwards panels in the ground; if you jump while running across them you'll go backwards. And there's a ghost house level where you run off the screen to the right and appear on the left.

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2016, 01:13 PM
"playing one handed with a scotch in her other hand"

Now I see the genius in this game. ;)

It's got people buzzing!

MR2 Fan
December 17th, 2016, 12:52 PM
It's got people buzzing!

haha

I watched a video last night of someone playing it...looks REALLY good from what I can tell. Not out for Android yet though :(

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Came out for Android this week, apparently. For anyone who got it, you think it's worth the $10 price of admission?

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2017, 02:40 AM
Yes. But don't ask me.

Blerpa
March 29th, 2017, 02:23 AM
Plenty of games out there are platform *without* any running crap: how they do it? Simple left - right semi transparent button on the lower left corner.
Tried the game, uninstalled after 5 minutes. Not worthy even for free. YMMV according to Nintendo fanatism.

Jason
March 29th, 2017, 11:12 AM
:lol:

Never change.

Rare White Ape
March 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
It's the fourth best Super Mario game of all time and you'll just delete it like that?

My goodness!

Blerpa
March 29th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Never liked Mario games. I would have played it if it was a platform... but I really don't like runners, either top down, first person or side scroll.

MR2 Fan
April 1st, 2017, 11:03 AM
I saw videos of it when it came out for iOS and it was intriguing how they implemented the running mode, much different than other games I've seen. Since it's finally for Android, I downloaded it and played it a bit.

As with many games, there's tons of side stuff and DLC which is annoying, I've played a few levels but haven't bought the full game yet...still deciding.

Rare White Ape
September 23rd, 2017, 12:23 AM
Big update for SMR coming next week for its 1 year anniversary.

Also the full game is 50% off for a few weeks.

http://www.vooks.net/new-remix-10-mode-daisy-discount-coming-super-mario-run/