PDA

View Full Version : AAA

21Kid
September 27th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Wondering if people have any experience with AAA or other services. Our insurance that included towing went up $50 this year for some unknown reason.
We found another that was $200 cheaper, but didn't have towing. So, I was thinking of getting a AAA membership or something on the side to supplement the cheaper policy.

I've never looked into these types of towing/roadside assistance programs before. Are there other options besides AAA? Better ones? Opinions?

FYI, it's my wife's car and has '200k miles. It just has to last until next summer, but I'm not 100% confident in it. :lol:

Kchrpm
September 27th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I've been using AAA for years. Even my insurance agent, when discussing her own companies roadside assistance, said that AAA provides additional benefits, and she has been subscribing for years as well. I've used them to get a jump multiple times and once when I couldn't get the bolts on a friend's wheel to move (he just drowned them in WD40). The fact they will show up even if it's not your car is great. A cardholder has to be there, but it's not tied to any vehicle.

That being said, I would not be surprised if someone shows up here and says they're a complete waste of money because you can do it all yourself with proper preparation and training.

thesameguy
September 27th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I have been on and off with AAA since I got my driver's license. My dad has had insurance with them since the '60s, back when AAA was one of the few companies that would insure things like Porsches and Alfas, so it's been in the family. After a really annoying experience around Y2K I killed that relationship, but I signed back up for the roadside service in 2010 when I got the Cadillac. The idea of having to pay for a tow in BFE Utah was daunting, the roadside assistance made financial sense.

There are lots of competitive services in this arena today, you have options. AAA is probably just the most well-known. Rates vary around the country - Sacramento is fairly affordable but IIRC NYC is quite pricey. I think knowing what the cost is locally would be a big component in the decision - I know there are cheaper services around here. However, in California, you can do a lot of DMV transactions in AAA offices and there happens to be a AAA office directly across the street from work which is super convenient... the amount of time I save at the DMV registering cars every year pays for the membership. So, that's a no-brainer. But, also, AAA's Platinum (IIRC, whatever their premium service is) also covers motorhome towing which is a benefit. I do have a Good Sam membership as well - so that's totally redundant - but the towing benefits for Good Sam are a little different than AAA so I've kept both. Also, AAA membership can get discounts in some places - some hotels, amusement parks, etc. - and that has paid off once or twice.

In the six years I've had it, I've used the towing twice - once when I bought the Falcon (it wasn't running) and once when the Fiero left me stranded with a dead ICM. I definitely could kill AAA... but a not-crowded DMV across the street is sooooo worth it to me. Without that benefit, I would shop:

Good Sam (their first year discount might suit you!)
Allstate Motor Club
National Motor Club
Better World Club
AutoVantage

I think these are the big names.

speedpimp
September 27th, 2016, 12:25 PM
More of a CMLL guy myself.

21Kid
September 27th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I saw there was Allstate and Nationwide... But, I assumed that you needed their car insurance too. I don't buy/sell cars nearly that often, but that might come in handy. I didn't know they did that. Do they still have free paper maps? :lol:

:? Pimp = Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre co.ltd - is a lucha libre professional wrestling promotion based in Mexico City.

speedpimp
September 27th, 2016, 12:39 PM
And AAA is their competitor.;)

21Kid
September 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Oh? I'm guessing it stands for something else then... which didn't even show up on google's search. And seeing is this is posted in the Open Road, is totally irrelevant. :finger:

Kchrpm
September 27th, 2016, 12:53 PM
http://www.luchalibreaaa.com/

Garza Jr vs Johnny Mundo!

dodint
September 27th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I use the USAA towing option on my insurance. Often.

If I do get a DMC anytime soon I'm going to get AAA because I think the towing radius is 200 miles.

thesameguy
September 27th, 2016, 03:28 PM
The distance they'll tow depends on the service level you pay for.

dodint
September 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM
USAA is 20 miles and then a per mile surcharge, IIRC. I blew my head gasket 22 miles from my mechanic. Boo.

Actually, it blew for real in Janesville but the car died near Milwaukee. :lol:

21Kid
September 27th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Damn!!!

dodint
September 27th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Hey, the AAA Premier looks totally worth it. They'll reimburse you up to $1500 to defend yourself against a manslaughter charge.

Also, unlimited sets free per member per year passport photos. That'll come in handy one time every 11 years.

21Kid
September 28th, 2016, 06:05 AM
:lol: - you should try to go in every day and request a different passport, to a different country, with a different name.

Crazed_Insanity
September 28th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I've been with AAA for decades as a member and recently switched over for auto and home insurances too. I have nothing but good things to say about them. However, I probably shouldn't say too much about it because AAA probably will lose this potential customer all because Billi really likes it... ;)

neanderthal
September 30th, 2016, 06:41 PM
I've been with AAA for decades as a member and recently switched over for auto and home insurances too. I have nothing but good things to say about them. However, I probably shouldn't say too much about it because AAA probably will lose this potential customer all because Billi really likes it... ;)

Crap. Now you've gone and ruined it. Just when I got a good insurance quote too.

Crazed_Insanity
October 2nd, 2016, 03:06 PM
AAA is the most evil organization EVER, lousy services and misleading quotes! Listen to me, don't join them! You'll regret it!!!

neanderthal
October 2nd, 2016, 09:43 PM
AAA is the most evil organization EVER, lousy services and misleading quotes! Listen to me, don't join them! You'll regret it!!!

I've had it for years and hardly ever used it! But it's useful for not having to go to DMV.

21Kid
October 3rd, 2016, 06:10 AM
Not sure what's going on with Billi's quote there... But then again, I never am. Too bad ignore doesn't work on quotes.

Anyway. Thanks all.

Crazed_Insanity
October 3rd, 2016, 10:49 AM
I've had it for years and hardly ever used it! But it's useful for not having to go to DMV.

I think that alone is worth the price of membership!

I've also had them hauled my old Civic and friend's vehicles plenty of times... I've also used their services to helped me jump start, unlock doors, and even gotten like a free gallon of fuel when I ran out of gas!!! Travel services are helpful too...

But I think I've been using their services less and less... with newer cars... more experiences(not as much of an airhead as before) and google maps really made AAA maps less useful..., but they're still nice to have for peace of mind!

Anyway, with regard to the insurance front, you can tell the people on the phone just sound more professional and helpful. I've had State Farm for decades and have had pretty good experiences in the past, but the last time we called on them for help they really let us down. They under estimated our car value so end up totaling our car un-necessarily and then compensate us unfairly too... and the run around was amazing... every time I called in, a different person is working on my case so I had to explain everything again and again... and I had to file a complaint to the State government in order to finally get some higher level management to compensate me fairly..., but I've had enough of it so decided to switch to AAA.

Wife did have an accident recently and it's amazing how they smoothly taken care of us. They actually towed our dented car away to be fixed and delivered a rental car to us on our driveway! The body shop did take their sweet time with our car though... nearly a month! But at least they also delivered our car back and then tow the rental away without us having to do anything.

I think State Farm is still a bit cheaper, but comparing the services offered, no way I'm ever going back to State Farm!