PDA

View Full Version : That awkward moment...

SkylineObsession
December 8th, 2016, 06:04 PM
...when you think the cutscene is still running, and you wonder why your character is just standing there. :smh: Happened just now with The Game Of Thrones Telltale Game i'm playing, and again recently with Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Uncharted 4 and a number of other games.

With advancing technology, i suspect this sort of thing is going to happen a lot more often. But wonder at the same time if/when video game graphics reach a plateau where they can't possibly make it more realistic than real life? This may be 3-4 console generations away yet, but i think i'm glad i'm not a game developer as making them these days takes more than a couple of coloured pixels or half a dozen polygons.

This has been the craziest generation to grow up in (1980s-now), as we've gone from a couple of lines or dots on a screen to a realism you can see/believe in just 30-40 years.

balki
December 9th, 2016, 05:27 AM
it happens, which should make the devs proud
"can't possibly make it more realistic than real life" that would have to be a Matrix type-thing where it's connected to your brain rather than a screen
People get used to advances after a while: confused GT1's replays for actual race footage back in '98 (did the same for an NES screenshot before that)

SkylineObsession
December 9th, 2016, 12:12 PM
It is getting close, with full(ish) facial animations, moving hair, and so on. Some games pretty much seem to have had real photographs thrown into the game engine and simply re-3Disd. But the brain thing may not be such a unrealistic sounding reality...

MR2 Fan
December 9th, 2016, 02:13 PM
So that begs the question, which game do people think is the most graphically realistic right now? I haven't played a lot of the newest games.

SkylineObsession
December 9th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Well Battlefield 1 seems to have the most realistic mud. ;) Was watching wifey play it the other day (i haven't yet) and the wet mud level she was on looked just like i guess it would have back in WW1.

GreatScawt
December 11th, 2016, 07:59 AM
The cut-scene to playing thing happened to me in Gears 4 yesterday. Such a pretty game.

21Kid
December 12th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I realized it was happening to me in MGS V. But, it was still damn impressive when the handover happened. I wasn't completely sure that I was playing until the character moved.

MR2 Fan
December 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
This reminds me of the LOTR games on PS2 where they morph from the actual movie to the game, and did it pretty well. I'd like to see a newer iteration of that!