Mar: Gravity Rush 2 and then I'll buy a Switch
Apr: Switch
May: Switch
Jun: Switch
Jul: Switch
Etc.

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2016, 02:50 AM
Actually probably my greatest video gaming moment of the year was buying a 3DS. That thing has brought so much joy.

Cam
December 31st, 2016, 04:10 AM
Destiny
Bunch of free games that mostly sucked
Destiny
Elite Dangerous
Destiny
World of Tanks
Destiny

2017: Mass Effect sequel thing.

drew
December 31st, 2016, 04:12 AM
Mine is simple.
2016:
Jan-July Fallout 4 (1200 hours)
Jul-Sep: No Man's Sky (320 hours)
Sep-present: Elite (550 hours)

2017: who knows. I haven't even looked.

dodint
December 31st, 2016, 06:08 AM
Jan: Rocket League
Feb: Rocket League
Mar: Rocket League
Apr: Rocket League
May: Rocket League
Jun: Rocket League
Jul: Rocket League
Aug: Rocket League
Sep: Rocket League
Oct: Rocket League
Nov: Rocket League
Dec: Rocket League

2017: Rocket League

2024: Gran Turismo 7 (maybe)

drew
December 31st, 2016, 07:37 AM
:lol: I was trying to be efficient with typing. :finger:

Tom Servo
December 31st, 2016, 07:53 AM
Can't really break it down by month, but:

Rocksmith 2014/Remastered
Rock Band 4/Rivals
Forza Horizon 3
DOOM
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy X Remaster (I remembered the plot being dopey, but man...)
GTA V
Just Cause 3
Civ V and VI

Jason
December 31st, 2016, 09:00 AM
GTA/Forza/Horizon/FFXV

GreatScawt
December 31st, 2016, 09:25 AM
My top most enjoyed, I'd say:

The Witness: May be my favorite of 2016 and everyone either hasn't played it or forgotten about it
The Division
Fallout 4
DOOM
Overwatch
Forza Horizon 3
Battlefield 1
Antichamber (Still only $3 on Steam. Recommend! I also just realized this wasn't 2016 - d'oh!)
Titanfall 2

SkylineObsession
December 31st, 2016, 01:47 PM
Oh god, i can hardly remember what i did/played yesterday let alone last year. :|

Forza Horizon 3 (XB1)
Uncharted 4 (PS4)
Tales Of The Borderlands (PS4)
Mad Max (PS4)
Fallout 4 (PS4)
Far Cry 4 (PS4 - if that was 2016 when i played it, can't remember when it came out)
The Deadly Tower Of Monsters (PS4)
Cities; Skylines (PC - bought it, but then had to upgrade PC majorly to handle it, but still have framerate issues - played twice... - but that's cos i'm lazy)

Possibly missed some, like downloadable free/indy games.

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2016, 02:25 PM
FC4 came out in 2014 :lol:

SkylineObsession
December 31st, 2016, 07:52 PM
Oh, i think i meant when i bought it, but still reckon that was 2015. ;)

Yw-slayer
January 1st, 2017, 06:23 AM
I mainly played CSR2 with my schoolmates, then got sick of it and switched to Future Fight.

I did finish Advanced Warfare and I did enjoy exploring No Man's Sky and a bit of naming planets/systems/animals/plants with the help of my daughter.

novicius
January 1st, 2017, 07:48 AM
2016: Destiny/The Witcher III/The Division/Destiny/GTA V

2017: Destiny/GTA V/Destiny/GR Wildlands/Destiny 2 :D

TheBenior
January 1st, 2017, 01:23 PM
I don't remember the months, but:

Fallout 4
Just Cause 3
The Witcher 3 (will probably consume half of 2017 as well)

speedpimp
January 1st, 2017, 01:37 PM
GTA V, ESO Tamriel Unlimited and Super Mega Baseball Extra Innings.

Kchrpm
January 3rd, 2017, 06:15 AM
Mostly: My penis
Sometimes: Various video games

tigeraid
January 3rd, 2017, 06:46 AM
Not nearly as much gaming as I hoped to do.

Firewatch (great, great stuff)
Finished Witcher 3, wished I hadn't uninstalled it
Gave up 40 hours into Fallout 4 due to boredom, wish I had uninstalled it
Doom (SO good)

Wished I had played: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2 (time for those still of course.)

novicius
January 3rd, 2017, 07:41 AM
Yet another vote for Doom, eh? No thread here so I didn't think there'd be much interest. Looks like I should check it out.

<-- Old School Doom player back when Ultimate Doom dropped in '95. :hard:

Phil_SS
January 3rd, 2017, 09:08 AM
Alot:
Destiny

Alittle:
Forza 6
Rainbow Six:Siege
I know I played and beat Tomb Raider (2013) as well.
The Walking Dead
Game demos for FH3 and The Division.

GreatScawt
January 3rd, 2017, 09:14 AM
Definitely get DOOM, Carlo :up::hard:

Tom Servo
January 3rd, 2017, 10:08 AM
Definitely get DOOM, Carlo :up::hard:

Agreed. Feels like the old DOOM. Fast paced, tons of shooting, demons popping out of everywhere as you mow them down. It's a nice throwback to old run-n-gun style play with awesome graphics.

animalica
January 3rd, 2017, 12:21 PM
Yes, Doom is great!
If you stand still or even try to camp you are dead.
Offensive CQB is rewarded by instant boni.

George
January 3rd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Does the new Doom have a single-player game like the Doom of old?

Yeah, I could google, but you guys are more trustworthy and entertaining.

Signed,

Another Old School Doom Playa

Kchrpm
January 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
Yes, the new Doom is single player focused.

Tom Servo
January 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
Not my 2016, but Steam's list of the top 100 selling games of 2016: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers

Interestingly, I'm noticing it does not appear to be ordered within each group. I have it open in two browsers and the order of games in the platinum section is different between the two screens, and it changes on refresh, so you can only read so much into the list.

Rare White Ape
January 3rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
Yes, the new Doom is single player focused.

Which is good because apparently it's multiplayer is terrible :lol:

Carlo, you should definitely, very definitely play Doom. It reached 2nd place behind Overwatch on so many end of year lists. It's got so many great little subtle touches behind it's big dumb FPS gameplay, like this moment, where I needed a deceased engineer's helping hand: https://youtu.be/sHWSVo8_yAo

And the big dumb FPS gameplay might seem big and dumb on the surface, but when you get down to it it's like a finely choreographed ballet. A ballet with demons and bloody headshots.

M4FFU
January 3rd, 2017, 11:57 PM
Feb: Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS
Apr: Elite Dangerous - which I still don't get, but played a bit and thought it was immense.
:: got married, rode motorbikes ::
Nov: Forza Horizon 3
Dec: Fallout 4

Highlights are (sadly only discovering very late) Fallout 4 and Emblem Awakening. I picked up a few other games (Hyrule 3DS, Super Mario Maker, Wind Walker HD, Ride) but just at the start of spring and motorbike/dog/summer left them gathering dust.

2017 will feature: getting sucked in further to Fallout 4, starting Gears of War 4, getting further with Doom, falling in probable love with Mass Effect: A, getting rage with Emblem Fates. Also Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead 2, if they turn up.

novicius
January 4th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Doom downloading. :) :up: #cheers

GreatScawt
January 4th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Carlo - enjoy it. I think you'll really like it. I can't wait to see your reaction after the first mission. :rawk:

Matt - Gears 4 is wonderful. I'm on PC but crossplay works well if you ever wanna coop or play horde.

GreatScawt
January 4th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Also, I personally love the Giant Bomb stuff, and they post up their deliberations for all their 2016 awards. Always entertaining. Highly recommend grabbing their podcast if you need something to listen to at work. The 2016 awards discussions are 5 days, 3-4 hrs each day.

Reynard
January 4th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Pretty easy to answer for me. A good 80% of all my gaming last year would be XCOM 2 with the remaining 20% spread between Elite Dangerous, Rebel Galaxy, Starpoint Gemini 2, Tharsis, Crookz, Tropico 5, Space Engineers and even still some XCOM EW Long War.

However I did indeed get Motorsport Manager during the Steam holiday sale and finally started playing that a bit last Sunday. So far I'm liking it a lot and I promise I'll post my impressions here for the curious once I get some real time with it under my belt.

George
January 5th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I figured no one was making single-player games anymore. I read somewhere that the cost to develop the story and coherent missions and whatever else goes along with GOOD single-player games is high, compared to simply designing a few arena maps and letting multiple players provide the excitement and energy of the game. Makes sense, I guess, and multi-player is cool, for sure, but there's still something about a good single-player game involving exploration, problem-solving, and lots of violence.

Now, someone needs to bring back Duke Nukem 3D, complete with OJ's Bronco chase on all the TVs, with modern graphics.

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I figured no one was making single-player games anymore. I read somewhere that the cost to develop the story and coherent missions and whatever else goes along with GOOD single-player games is high, compared to simply designing a few arena maps and letting multiple players provide the excitement and energy of the game.
I think there are a few reasons that single-player games continue on.

- The market wants them and rewards good ones with sales and acclaim.
- While developing multiplayer arenas can be easier than an entire rich single player campaign, designing and maintaining strong webcode is quite difficult and requires ongoing investment and support.
- A single player game needs to only "work" for the settings you provide and for perhaps 1.5-3 times the length of the campaign for people to be happy with their purchase. Multiplayer games are expected to be developed and balanced for multiple play styles and hundreds of hours of play (this also crops up in open world games)
- The lines between single-player and multiplayer are being blurred as more and more games switch to open world levels. You can design your arenas and then place them inside the world, or just build an enormous world as you see fit and let freedom replace fine-tuning.

As for a modern Duke Nukem, they torpedoed that franchise with their last attempt at that, which by all accounts was not quite modern enough in graphics and ancient in gameplay. I don't see anyone taking another bite at that apple soon with any kind of substantial budget.

George
January 5th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Oh, and back on the 2016 topic:

Mostly Contract Wars for me, lately. It's a free first-person-shooter that you play in your browser. Lots of fun. And, I recently discovered something that I've never been able to do before, because I've always had the bare minimum of hardware to play games and always left the graphic settings on default, or lowered them to try to make the game run faster.

Recently I thought I'd see what my Dell XPS 8900 could do and set all the lighting, shadows, physics, and whatever else up to higher levels than default and WOW, what a difference. Suddenly I can see people hiding in shadows and other things that I couldn't before, and my scores reflect the difference. So better hardware makes for a better gaming experience? Who knew? :lol:

We also now have four controllers for our Xbox 360, and over Christmas break we had the whole family playing Trials Evolution and Trials Fusion (motorcycle stunt-racing), sitting four across on the couch and laughing and groaning when we'd wreck and so forth.

Anyone know of any good 1-4 player Xbox360 games (as opposed to 1-2 player games, which seem common)? I've dug though the inventory at two local video game stores and haven't found any that we don't already own, which are only three: Trial Evolution, Trials Fusion, and 'Splosion Man.

animalica
January 6th, 2017, 04:08 AM
I can`t remember much of my PC gaming in 2016 as I was finishing my last six months of retraining.

I remember that I started to play Far Cry 4 but it didn`t lasted long although it was good.
Need to pick it up again this year best with all the DLC.
And of course I played some Lego minifig games because they are very casual and well suited for short stints.

At the end of the year I bought a big XB1 with 1 TB at a good price and then I bought nearly every racing game in existence as their digital versions were on offer.
I try to avoid disc games on the XB1 since I play console in bed with an arm mounted 22" in arm reach - priceless!

Most played games? FH3 followed by FM6 but The Crew - Ultimate Edition will soon get the second most playtime.

drew
January 6th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Pretty easy to answer for me. A good 80% of all my gaming last year would be XCOM 2 with the remaining 20% spread between Elite Dangerous, Rebel Galaxy, Starpoint Gemini 2, Tharsis, Crookz, Tropico 5, Space Engineers and even still some XCOM EW Long War.

However I did indeed get Motorsport Manager during the Steam holiday sale and finally started playing that a bit last Sunday. So far I'm liking it a lot and I promise I'll post my impressions here for the curious once I get some real time with it under my belt.

D, I'm sensing a trend here ;)

Reynard
January 6th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Well if that is that I pretty much only play games on the pc anymore, that would be correct. Or if it's that I love, love, love the new XCOM games, that too would be correct. If it's that I wish I could get off this damn planet before the shit really hits the fan... then yeah, that too would be correct. ;)

Anyone know of any good 1-4 player Xbox360 games (as opposed to 1-2 player games, which seem common)? I've dug though the inventory at two local video game stores and haven't found any that we don't already own, which are only three: Trial Evolution, Trials Fusion, and 'Splosion Man.

I still think the last great local multiplayer console was the original XBOX.* If you can track down a copy of Test Drive: Eve of Destruction it is backwards compatible on the 360 and is a great 4 player split screen racing game. Graphics and frame rate will seem a bit dated these days but I will stand by this title to my grave. It provided so many hours of great :lol: gaming for myself and friends I can't tell you. Project Gotham Racing 2 is also backwards compatible an offers 4 player split screen but I'd probably say you'd be better off looking for a title from the same developer called Blur which is a proper 360 game but still (amazingly) supports 4 players local. It's more arcady then PGR2, cars with weapons a la Mario Cart but very fun IMO.

If you like trivia/game shows, either Scene it or You Don't Know Jack are very fun games the whole family can play. If you can get the dedicated Scene It controllers you can use them with YDKJ too. Then there's plenty of fighting games if you're into that and if you like first person shooters, Halo 2 or 3 are great for 4 players.

If you can't find any of these, send me a PM, maybe we could work out a lend lease arrangement. ;)

* - before you Nintendo peeps chime in, yeah I may be wrong but the only Nintendo console I ever owned was the original NES so don't have experience with the others except playing Goldeneye on my friends N64 for a bit many, many moons ago.

Rare White Ape
January 6th, 2017, 06:59 PM
* - before you Nintendo peeps chime in, yeah I may be wrong but the only Nintendo console I ever owned was the original NES so don't have experience with the others except playing Goldeneye on my friends N64 for a bit many, many moons ago.

You're not far off. The last great multiplayer Nintendo console was the Wii, which was only a generation ahead of the Xbox, and that died off not long after Wii Sports stopped being cool.

Addressing George here, if you want some great multiplayer gaming then why not investigate getting an N64 or Gamecube emulator running on your PC? It'll easily be able to run N64 games even on the shittiest (for 2017) hardware and if you've got four controllers to hook up, then fantastic!

21Kid
January 10th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I figured no one was making single-player games anymore.That's all I really play any more. :\ I don't have enough time to put into leveling up a character in any multiplayer game in order to be competitive. And there aren't enough people online, and playing the same game, usually.
The last game I played was Destiny. But, same thing happened. :( Not the games fault, just explaining why I mainly go for single-player games.

tigeraid
January 10th, 2017, 07:39 AM
Me as well. After seeing what World of Warcraft did to a friend of mine, I vowed to just not play multi-players online anymore. I was kinda going down that road with Quake 2 back in the day anyway.

I'd much rather have a deep, immersive experience with lots of story and character, than non-stop-shooty-action excitement. Though Doom scratched that itch real nice this year.

Maybe my attitude's more PC-centric tho?

George
January 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Thanks all for the 4-player Xbox comments. It's not an obsession or anything, but I thought it would be fun (and it was!) to do some four-player racing over the Christmas holiday. My wife isn't much of a gamer, so I think we'll be 3 players far more often than 4.

I saw something recently about using a Raspberry Pi to make an emulator also. I need to go back and find that article, wherever it was.

Addressing George here, if you want some great multiplayer gaming then why not investigate getting an N64 or Gamecube emulator running on your PC? It'll easily be able to run N64 games even on the shittiest (for 2017) hardware and if you've got four controllers to hook up, then fantastic!

Good info. Thanks. For once in my life, I am not running shitty hardware, so I might be able to do this. The trick will be if the kids don't groan and say the games are too old-fashioned or whatever they called the many old games on one Xbox360 disc that I got a while back. It's Sega/Genesis games, I think, but for the Xbox. Sonic the Hedgehog and other "old" games did not impress my son at all. :lol: