PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Kia Stinger

GB
January 11th, 2017, 08:53 PM
http://www.thecurveahead.net/resources/images/gallery/US%20Spec/24_Kia-Stinger-GT-Studio-(8)_US-Spec.png

http://www.thecurveahead.net/resources/images/gallery/US%20Spec/27_Kia-Stinger-GT-Studio-(7)_US-Spec.png

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-kia-stinger-sports-sedan-photos-and-info-news

http://www.thecurveahead.net/

In principle, I'm on board.

In my opinion the foundations of the design are well done, but the added too many baubles in the form of scoops and vents and whatnots. It also seems like it will be a little big for my tastes... approximately the same size as a Merc CLS, and bigger than all the cars Kia lists as its potential competitors. And I'm worried about what its curb weight will be, as Hyundai and Kia are not yet known for their ingenious weight-saving strategy (ie: Mazda). If this thing weighs 4500lbs, then there's no point, IMO.

Alas, I fear it is doomed. It's, once again, the car everyone SAYS they want, but the car nobody buys. (G8, SS, etc.)

Yw-slayer
January 12th, 2017, 12:28 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I like very much (save for the centre console, which sadly reminds me of Mercs). But I don't need a car like this, save as a single replacement for the Legacy and the BRZ, both of which do not need to be replaced.

balki
January 12th, 2017, 04:58 AM
Looks good, like the name
agree with it being doomed like the G8, SS, ...

dodint
January 12th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Looks like a Ford Fusion.

http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/BBvmwAw.img?w=320&h=212&m=1&o=t&l=t&u=t

MR2 Fan
January 12th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Reminds me a bit of the Genesis Coupe as in, it doesn't feel proportioned correctly in the front end.

Again, people who want a "nice" car aren't looking at Kia's for the most part yet, they still have the stigma of a cheap/value brand.

Having said that, the 2017 Cadenza is VERY nice

neanderthal
January 12th, 2017, 08:21 AM
The thing is people want a large, powerful, rear wheel drive sporty sedan or coupe, but they just don't want one that weighs more than 3300lbs.

It would be interesting to see Mazda make a go at a category like this, just to see what is possible weight wise.

drew
January 12th, 2017, 08:25 AM
It can weigh more than 3300 pounds, you just need to have 500+hp :D

shakes
January 12th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I kinda like it. Looks like they tried to make a 4-door Genesis coupe. I just don't know where it's going to fit in the Hyundai/Kia lineups. They already have a mid-to-large size RWD sedan.

Kchrpm
January 12th, 2017, 10:56 AM
My understanding is that this is mostly their attempt to subsidize the engineering and production of their more expensive RWD sedans on the same platform.

thesameguy
January 12th, 2017, 01:47 PM
That sounds likely. Seems like it's a 1st gen CTS all over again - too big to be a 3-series, too cheap to be a 5-series. Cast a wide net, see what to shore up in the 2nd gen.

drew
January 12th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Speaking of the Genesis, if they'd through the sedan's V8 in the Coupe, I'd buy one a minute later.

KillerB
January 12th, 2017, 02:28 PM
The thing is people want a large, powerful, rear wheel drive sporty sedan or coupe, but they just don't want one that weighs more than 3300lbs.

It would be interesting to see Mazda make a go at a category like this, just to see what is possible weight wise.

I'd held out hope that Mazda would have stretched the RX-8 platform a bit and built an RX-9 as a sport sedan. I think that would have made the platform viable long term - sport sedans have a much longer shelf life than sports cars.

MR2 Fan
January 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM
In case you haven't seen it, here's the 2017 Cadenza:

http://arvandplak.ir/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2017-kia-cadenza-review-2.jpg

IMOA
January 12th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I'm liking it. Looks great, numbers are great, if the execution of the handling and subjective soft stuff is good (and given who they've headhunted it should be) then it should be a really good car. Hoping it does well as the world is missing a 'cheap bmw' these days

Yw-slayer
January 12th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Cheap BMW with Asian car reliability FTW

TheBenior
January 13th, 2017, 12:42 AM

I don't think the people who actually buy/lease them care much about the weight. They don't seem to be having any issues with buying 3900 lb Audi S4s and 3600 lb M3/4, let alone 4800-5000 lb S63/S65 AMG.

I would also like to see Mazda take a crack at it, but unless they partner with an established luxury brand, we probably never will since Mazda's low volumes are tough on development without luxury margins or partners.

Rare White Ape
January 13th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Plus Mazda's ties with Ford speak volumes (!) about their product planning.

And I'm super supportive of both Kia and Hyundai increasing both the reliability, scope, and desirability of their range. I'm all for it, because maybe it'll push the established Japanese brands out of the complacency they've built around themselves over the last 20 years. Only Honda and Mazda do anything interesting at the low-mid end of their range anymore.

novicius
January 13th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Looks passably sharp. :up:

The size of the KIA badges are obnoxious (especially on the steering wheel).

Price matters.

The size looks good, roomy. I don't know how it stacks up against zee Germans current offerings but most U.S. buyers buy German based on badge / interiors. KIA isn't a "good" buy in that light.

Rare White Ape
January 13th, 2017, 05:13 AM
most U.S. buyers buy German based on badge / interiors. KIA isn't a "good" buy in that light.

If it's half the price then it might be worth it.

novicius
January 13th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Well Dodge Chargers are cheaper than BMW's of equal girth but it's a tough sell to someone who can comfortably afford the Bimmer to save even more of their massive paycheck to drive the Mopar. ;)

But KIA is building this car so their math has been done on the subject. #shrug

shakes
January 13th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Speaking of the Genesis, if they'd through the sedan's V8 in the Coupe, I'd buy one a minute later.

Rhys Millen Racing made one. http://www.musclecarszone.com/348hp-genesis-coupe-its-not-enough-tuners-have-a-solution-for-you/

I sold Hyundais for a couple of years and I would love for them to succeed but there are a couple of big issues that I think only time will resolve. The main one is brand image. People still have that misconception that the Korean's make cheap, unreliable cars when in fact Kia and Hyundai both outrank pretty much everybody else in initial quality surveys. Its going to take maybe another decade of putting out good quality cars before they can outgrow that misconception. They're also not quite up to the level of everyone else when it comes to handling/dynamics but again, they'll get there with time, money and head-hunting the right people from other brands.

thesameguy
January 13th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I see PILES of Genesisesisisies around town - coupes and sedans, and have started to see a few Equus and K900s. I think these cars check all the luxo barge comfort, styling & tech cues, and that's enough for many. I think the major thing working against the Stinger is going to be those badges - you can play off the Genesis as it lacks an H, but the Stinger you're going to be advertising Kia. It may not matter - I see mountains of Optimas - I imagine those buyers will consider the bigger Kia when next they shop.

balki
January 13th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Those Optimas are handsome cars. :up:

MR2 Fan
January 13th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Plus Mazda's ties with Ford speak volumes (!) about their product planning.

And I'm super supportive of both Kia and Hyundai increasing both the reliability, scope, and desirability of their range. I'm all for it, because maybe it'll push the established Japanese brands out of the complacency they've built around themselves over the last 20 years. Only Honda and Mazda do anything interesting at the low-mid end of their range anymore.

Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ say hi

IMOA
January 13th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'm also trying to figure out what Honda do interesting as well

thesameguy
January 13th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I sold Hyundais for a couple of years and I would love for them to succeed but there are a couple of big issues that I think only time will resolve. The main one is brand image. People still have that misconception that the Korean's make cheap, unreliable cars when in fact Kia and Hyundai both outrank pretty much everybody else in initial quality surveys.

It's probably not true everywhere, but around here there is almost no quality stigma left. It's a rare day when someone tells me they're shopping for a car but have ruled out Kia and Hyundai. I mean, really rare. Usually "Have you thought about an Elantra" is followed by "I really like them, but I wasn't sure whether they were good cars" or "That's my first choice." The dealers around here have gone from DEAL DEAL DEAL to "we don't give discounts" or even "they're backordered." I fully expected to be able to pick up a Veloster for cheap by now, but I'd seriously have better luck on a Focus or Fiesta - it's a little nuts.

I too wish they're shore up their handling & dynamics, but people who worry about that stuff in functional ways (as opposed to, "Durrrrrr.... it turns real good") are tiny, tiny minority. Hyundai & Kia are killing it.

I think the breakdown with $50k Hyundais is no different than $50k Toyotas. If you're spending that kind of money on a car, you want a brand to go with it. I think that's why Genesis works and Kia Stinger might not.

Yw-slayer
October 1st, 2019, 03:22 PM
https://jalopnik.com/pre-owned-kia-stingers-are-already-an-awesome-value-1838658860

shakes
October 1st, 2019, 06:53 PM
I'm seeing quite a few on my commute in the suburbs. Not sure what sort of lease/finance rates KIA is offering but methinks that might have something to do with it

TheBenior
October 1st, 2019, 11:12 PM
Kia Stinger GTs have had steep markdowns pretty much since they launched, much like the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Yw-slayer
October 2nd, 2019, 03:31 AM
Do you see what I did there?

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2019, 02:48 PM
I saw it mate.

I had a ‘little bit at a time’ joke left wanting in another thread a few days ago.

I think this place is losing its edge :(

Godson
October 5th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Do you see what I did there?

But it isn't a Subaru.......