PDA

View Full Version : GP1 - Potential Bernie F1 breakaway series

balki
January 27th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Long story short F1 is now run by Liberty Media and Bernie was ousted after decades of being the F1 dictator, of sorts.
Rumor of him being upset and set to start a breakaway series as early as 2019.

We here unrest in F1 all the time, but as far as major changes go this sounds the most plausible yet (Bernie gets things done, Liberty may want 25+ races, Ferrari to reportedly lose their $100M/year bonus for being Ferrari).

If this were to happen what would it be like?
Bernie will probably go with 3.0L V10s (or higher)
and ...
tracks, tire supplier, aero rules, attract teams.... ?

FaultyMario
January 27th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Will Tony George's Big Ego be a part of it?

Blerpa
January 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM
It will be worthy ONLY, and I say ONLY, if Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Mercedes will be part of it.
Otherwise... second fiddle, like any other openwheel racing series.

Leon
January 27th, 2017, 09:49 AM
A lot of these "we're doing something else" series tank.

Remember A1GP? Nope, nor does anyone else.

balki
January 27th, 2017, 10:06 AM
I don't expect it to come to fruition, but it's less far-fetched than the other ideas that have come across.
If it does happen it'll be CART-Indy situation where they'll combine to be much weaker than F1 at it's peak.

It won't go the way of A1GP as they'll likely have: more popular drivers, better TV coverage and the cars will be as fast as 2017 F1 cars (at half the cost).
If they get Ferrari and another big name it could work (get all four of Blerpa's big names and it'll definitely work).

dodint
January 27th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I find it strange Bernie doesn't have a non-compete clause as part of his exit.

balki
January 27th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Could be, but they rarely go over a yearlong (don't know if that means he can't start preliminary negotiations with tracks and various types of manufacturers)
But he was most likely booted out, with no clause being very possible.

dodint
January 27th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Yeah, my guess is he was tossed out on his ear without a Golden Parachute so he doesn't have any incentive not to screw with them.

Reynard
January 27th, 2017, 04:34 PM
A lot of these "we're doing something else" series tank.

Remember A1GP? Nope, nor does anyone else.

Hey now, them's fighting words! I loved the A1GP series (pre-Ferrari). It's first two seasons I looked forward to those races more then Champcar or F1 at the time. Loved the cars, the circuits, the format even the kinda throwback idea of national race teams. It's also where I first was introduced to likes of Adam Carroll, Nico Hulkenberg, Sebastien Buemi, James Hinchcliffe & yes, even Matt Halliday. ;)

Leon
January 27th, 2017, 06:11 PM
then it died yes? Which was my intended point, rather than dissing any fans of the series ;). Sorry, missed my target there.

balki
February 6th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Would it be possible to have a non-spec series as fast as 2004/2017 F1 cars at 1/3 the cost (and maintain similar safety standards)? Say engine, chassis and aero all done individually at an annual budget around $100M USD?
Could there be aero rules that allow for plenty of downforce but leave cleaner air for cars to follow each other closer.
Would big steel brakes (in tandem with active-aero braking?) work to double braking distances and allow for more passing?