PDA

View Full Version : Krunchy Mazdaspeed 3 + The Plan

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I always wonder if I've made a thread here for the Mazda when something happens with it, and then don't end up making a thread. THAT CHANGES TODAY!

MS3 update:
The front left tire sacrificed itself on a pothole earlier this week (it's a pretty rough one that I'm sure I've hit before on my trips home from downtown). I thought everything was fine at first, but then noticed a couple days later that the sidewall was bulging out in a spot. Took it to the shop across the street from my office instead of the Goodyear one where I could have gotten 6 months no interest, told them I'd prefer the same tire as replacement but would take a similar one with a better price; turns out, in my size, the same brand and model was the least expensive of three choices. Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S it is!

Also had them check/fix the valve stems on both driver side corners while they were at it, GTXF Hangouters had suggested that might be the cause of my recent slow leaks.

Will update after some time with the car to confirm issues are gone.

Previous, non-posted MS3 updates:
- The CEL caused by the aftermarket downpipe remains, and probably always will
- Someone hit the bumper in the parking lot, but the white scuffs rubbed off and the deformation is minimal (it doesn't perfectly line up with the left rear quarter anymore, but seems imperceptible otherwise)
- Fresh battery a month or so ago after the old one couldn't hold a charge. AAA brought it over and replaced it in my garage while I played video games. #1percent
- The car has done touring laps at both the Corvette Museum track and Mid-Ohio, and has the rear window stickers to show for it. I think I hit 100 at both, but I know I had fun.
- Replacing the cabin air filter has made road trips less nauseating, but still not really comfortable. My old Altima and the rented Corvette were both much better on the highway, both in ride and interior comfort.
- Mileage is very dependent on how much time is spent on low speed highways, vs 75 mph headed to Michigan or suburban commuting. Tank is so small (relative, again, to Altima and Vette) that it almost always feels like the mileage is bad.
- Mid range torque is good, fun
- Headlights are weak, bad
- Handling is rarely tested outside of brisk on/off ramps, which are fun

The Plan
- Originally I was going to pay off the MS3 and then almost immediately get a C7. Now I'm planning to take off at least a couple months from making a car payment before diving in.
- The choice between new Stingray, new Grand Sport, used Stingray and used Grand Sport has yet to be finalized. It will depend on available inventory and deals, and whether or not they bring back orange.
- Aside from color and little things, my options are decided, and simple: 2LT trim level (required for HUD), Navigation/PDR (for HUD Nav), if Stingray then Z51 + MagneRide (which makes the price nearly the same as a GS)
- Dealer selection is tricky.
-- A high school friend recently took a job at the Chevrolet dealer nearest to my home, which may lead to a sweetheart deal or could lead to nothing.
-- One of the chains in the area offers Lifetime Mechanical Protection: stay up to date on maintenance, they will fix anything in the powertrain for free. I assume there are a minefield of caveats associated with this, but color me intrigued
-- I am not left wanting for Chevrolet dealers, there are I believe 10-15 within 100 miles of me

21Kid
January 27th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Ooooh. Finally! We get to know THE PLAN. ;)

"Replacing the cabin air filter has made road trips less nauseating, but still not really comfortable."
Why is the interior of the MS3 nauseating? I've never had a problem with air quality, outside of the random roadside stinks.

"Now I'm planning to take off at least a couple months from making a car payment before diving in."
Not having car payments is addictive. Be careful! ;)

Sounds like a good plan though. :cool::up:

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Why is the interior of the MS3 nauseating? I've never had a problem with air quality, outside of the random roadside stinks.
The cabin air filter had dead leaves and tons of dirt, long trips would make me feel sick. Now it's just the hard suspension and small(er) seats that put pressure in uncomfortable spots on extended trips.

dodint
January 27th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Holy crap, The Plan has its own thread!

FaultyMario
January 27th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Tell me more about hangoutting...

Random
January 27th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Tell me more about hangoutting...

Check your google notifications, I just added you. :)

Jason
January 27th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Wait, you told other people about The Plan???

I feel used. :(

TheBenior
January 27th, 2017, 04:48 PM
The CEL caused by the aftermarket downpipe remains, and probably always will

In my experience, this can be solved on Japanese cars with aftermarket headers/downpipes for less than $10 (http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-performance-maintenance/401-how-install-o2-sensor-non-fouler-eliminate-check-engine-light-pics.html).

The only CEL my MS3 throws is an occasional one for an intake manifold flapper that sticks when it's below ~10F for prolonged periods (it's a known issue). Once the weather warms up, it goes away.

Yw-slayer
January 27th, 2017, 04:49 PM
You people would drive 100 miles to a car dealer? I would be hard pressed to go more than 40 miles.

KillerB
January 27th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Can you drive 40 miles and not be on the mainland?

FWIW, in much of the country outside of cities, 100 miles is a 1 1/2 hour drive.

dodint
January 27th, 2017, 05:06 PM
My AAA membership has 200mi towing. :P

GB
January 27th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I make car dealers drive 100 miles to me.

Car salesman drove my Miata from Tampa to my driveway while I took a nap. Did all the paperwork at my kitchen counter.

I gave him a bottle of water for his return ride. (Another guy had to follow him here, and drive him back.)

140 miles each way.

CudaMan
January 27th, 2017, 05:58 PM
How much longer will you be making payments on the MS3, Krunch?

Excited to see The Plan getting closer to reality. :)

Might not hurt to go a few months without car payments. You've waited this long for your Corvette, what's another few months and some extra coin in your pocket.

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2017, 06:23 PM
In my experience, this can be solved on Japanese cars with aftermarket headers/downpipes for less than $10 (http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-performance-maintenance/401-how-install-o2-sensor-non-fouler-eliminate-check-engine-light-pics.html).
Will look into that :up:

You people would drive 100 miles to a car dealer? I would be hard pressed to go more than 40 miles.
Was just giving that as an example. I have 4 or 5 within 10-15 miles of me.

How much longer will you be making payments on the MS3, Krunch?
May of next year.

Wait, you told other people about The Plan???
Yes, I got tired of being repeatedly insulted by the same friends for not having already purchased it. Still happens, though, but less often. Now I can actually make a Corvette-related post without being harassed about it!

Yw-slayer
January 27th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Can you drive 40 miles and not be on the mainland?

FWIW, in much of the country outside of cities, 100 miles is a 1 1/2 hour drive.

Oops, I was wrong. 40 miles from the farthest point away from the mainland would take you to into the mainland!

For the 40 mile threshold I was thinking more Central London to Oxford, which is around that distance and which is probably my limit overseas, unless it's something like a 22B.

dodint
January 27th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I love that Jason thought he was special.

It wasn't exclusive, like how Keith and I talk about Prime Pantry.

Yw-slayer
January 27th, 2017, 08:21 PM
I make car dealers drive 100 miles to me.

Car salesman drove my Miata from Tampa to my driveway while I took a nap. Did all the paperwork at my kitchen counter.

I gave him a bottle of water for his return ride. (Another guy had to follow him here, and drive him back.)

140 miles each way.

Wow. :hard:

Jason
January 28th, 2017, 02:55 AM
I love that Jason thought he was special.

It wasn't exclusive, like how Keith and I talk about Prime Pantry.

:(

dodint
January 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM
:(

Lol, c'mon man, you're making me sad. :(

speedpimp
January 28th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Check out the Chevy dealer in Three Rivers, MI. What better place to buy a Vette than at a dealer named Vetter?

Also please add to the Hangout mabob.

dodint
January 28th, 2017, 01:56 PM