PDA

View Full Version : F1FFFFFGTXFBBQ - Rossbrawning our league.

FaultyMario
January 27th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Tweaks, mods, streamlining, ideas to make it less one sided?

Kchrpm
January 28th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Stop a third of the way through the season and have a competition yellow with beers awarded to the current leader.

Blerpa
January 28th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Team names, just for giggles.

FaultyMario
January 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Does the driver swap situation need be addressed? Do we ourselves need a verstappen rule?

Freude am Fahren
January 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Stop a third of the way through the season and have a competition yellow with beers awarded to the current leader.

Beat me to it!

Does the driver swap situation need be addressed? Do we ourselves need a verstappen rule?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the right answer is though. First instinct is you draft the driver, not the seat, just like every other fantasy sport. But if Tom Brady goes from the Pats to the Browns, it's not like he's going to all of a sudden be worthless, like Hamilton would be if he went to Sauber.

IMOA
January 28th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I could get really drunk before I pick my team, that might give everyone a chance

dodint
January 28th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm a former F1FFFFFGTXFBBQ WDC returning to the grid this year so it might not be a complete cakewalk.

Crazed_Insanity
January 28th, 2017, 06:39 PM
I think for sure we need to give people something to stay engaged throughout the season, but then again this adds more burden for the organizer...

My suggestion would be to award additional points to people who can accurately predict race winners to give ourselves some fantasy boost points.

In the unlikely event of drivers switching teams midsession again, just ask the fantasy team owner whether if he wish to move with the driver or stay with the team. IMHO, in F1, team is way more important than driver. Alonso at mclaren and Alonso at Mercedes cannot be valued the same. Pretty sure most would choose to stay with the faster team rather than go with the driver.

Alan P
January 29th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Double points race of your choosing? Decided before the season starts? That way you could allow the same teams. My main beef with the current format is early responders get the best choices. If you come in near the end then you've basically got dregs.

Crazed_Insanity
January 29th, 2017, 06:23 AM
IMOA don't usually pick out his winning combinations super early...

Blerpa
January 29th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I would not like to pick stuff for each race: I like a thing where I'm not engaged actively aside at the starting point.
Give 1 point for pole, 1 point for fastest lap in the race.

FaultyMario
January 29th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I like Alan's idea. That you also choose a race to get 2X points based on what you think are going to be your strengths during the year? sounds good.

Might as well be double of nothing!

dodint
January 29th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I like it too.

What I would recommend is breaking the season into thirds (Race 1-7, 8-14, 15-20) and have each entrant select a double points race from each segment.
If that's too much overhead, you could just make it first/last half of the season.
If the points impact is too high you could make the multiplier 1.33 (or 1.5) instead of 2. Obviously make a stipulation that like-teams cannot choose the same multiplier race.

TL;DR: Each entrant chooses 3 races worth 1.3xx and it cannot be the same races as someone with the same driver lineup.

balki
January 30th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I like the simple format.
My only gripe is that the cost isn't evenly spread out (all my fault last year, but it wasn't Team Ham+Ros that won). Then again, having perfectly priced drivers won't make it any fun.

So who's running it this year? I won't mind doing it again, but would prefer someone else runs it (don't know if that site that Dave was using for pricing is still around/up-to-date)

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2017, 06:48 AM
I can run it if need be. I can either relearn my own spreadsheet or make a new one that is (hopefully) better.

We could set a draft order based on last year's finishing order. The first round would let everyone get whatever driver they wanted, but the second round would start allowing people to lock in their picks. Once locked in, no one else can lock in with the exact same lineup.

Perhaps we could make the throwaway drivers useful by having positions 11th-15th get fractional points, as well.

balki
January 30th, 2017, 07:15 AM
sounds like it would take too long to get everyone's picks in (we're not that organised)

all this draft order, fractional points, ... can all be solved by having a solid cost/driver. We basically need to make the bottom 5 teams be much cheaper.
I messed up RBR because they had a horrid 2015 and a last minute engine deal with Renault, was expecting them to be fighting with McLaren-Honda (behind Williams and FI)

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2017, 07:30 AM
When does the F1 season start? March 26th? Everyone gets 24 hours from the pick previous to there's to make a pick before they lose their place in line? We can make this shit happen as soon as we find cost/driver for the year.

dodint
January 30th, 2017, 07:32 AM
A draft?

Yeesh.

Take the positive benefit outcome from Alan's suggestion and weigh it down as heavily as possible by adding a draft. Eww.

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I think picking double points races for yourself is an interesting idea that would get the desired result of more options, but I don't quite get how it isn't just pulling numbers out of a hat.

I guess you can know what tracks your drivers are usually good at, but we'll have no idea where each car excels before the season starts.

dodint
January 30th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Keith said I can go first in the draft, so, yeah, it's a great idea now.

FaultyMario
January 30th, 2017, 08:12 AM
We're having the same problem that real backmarker teams are having. You either get in the top 4 or you're fucked and stuck in a midfield loop.

As long as we use the same points system as FOM we'll get the same results. So, some tweaks are needed. I'd say more than one wildcard event per entry would get confusing, annoying. So I vote for one. Make the multiplier anything between 1.25 to 2.00 and I'll agree to it.

Maybe forbid two drivers from the same team, either as a rule or by pricing them out.

Also driver value should be a factor of driver times team. Or division, whatever.

FaultyMario
January 30th, 2017, 08:13 AM
But now with Manor's demise, maybe 10 point scorers out of 20 entries sounds fair.

balki
January 30th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Pre-season testing (two 4-day sessions):
Barcelona, Spain February 27 - March 2
Barcelona, Spain March 7 - 10

First race is March 26th, but we usually go by first practice which is the 24th in Oz (night of the 22rd on the other end of the time zones)
So that's less than two weeks to create driver values and get all the picks in (looks like a lot of folks don't come here on the weekend as well)

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Well, I'll leave it to those who are more invested in it (I just pick Hamilton and whoever every year), and then figure out how to make it work tracking wise.

FaultyMario
January 30th, 2017, 08:34 AM
I wanna play with driver's values, would you be willing to crunch some numbers for me keith?

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Sure, why not.

balki
January 30th, 2017, 09:46 AM
what kind of #s are we talking about here?
I want in

FaultyMario
January 30th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Honestly, i still don't know. Need to sit down and read some. Will obviously keep you posted.

G'day Mate
January 31st, 2017, 10:17 PM
I have two ideas, but they're both complicated

Idea #2 is to add "ballast" by deducting points from the top few teams based on performance in the previous round, or perhaps add "DRS" by adding points to the bottom teams.

Idea #1 (which is more complicated so that's why I'm explaining it second) is to allow any combination of any number of drivers, but points are proportional to the number of drivers in your team as well as the size of your team. It would require secret picks but trades would be opened up as well.

So for number 1, let's say you have a team of four and one of those drivers is Massa (you nostalgic bastard), you would have a one-quarter "share" in Massa. Let's say three other people had him and they each have teams of three - that means there's one and a quarter shares in Massa in total. If Massa scores 10 points then each share is worth 8 (10 / 1.25), so you get a quarter of that and end up with two points. The other three each get 10/1.25/3 = 2.666... points so ... we're probably going to have some pretty evil number out of this. Might be worth multiplying everything by 10 or 100.

Both of these would require a great deal of management. I don't mind stepping up again if noone else wants to implement it as I think it would be really interesting. We decide the values!

I call it ...

The GTXFFFFFF1 Driver Meat Market

(there, hopefully that got your attention enough to go back and read what I wrote)

Godson
February 1st, 2017, 05:52 PM
Dude. That's some mad scientist shit

dodint
February 1st, 2017, 06:38 PM
Yeeeaaah.

Yall figure it out and tell me where to sign up.

Crazed_Insanity
February 1st, 2017, 07:40 PM
I think we just need to award more point paying positions, maybe top 16 finishers all have some sort of points... Maybe also award points to poles and fast laps?

I also like the DRS idea..., maybe allow us ability to boost our points with like a 1.5 factor for a single race of our own choosing during the season, but you cannot use DRS when you win the race or if you're a point leader...

If you don't ask for a DRS boost before the start of the next race then you lose the opportunity. You also cannot go back and asked for a specific past race to be boosted post season...

Alan P
February 2nd, 2017, 04:30 AM
You may use DRS once per season, as long as you do so the day before free practice one starts?

Reynard
February 3rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
I got an idea, lets play Batracer again instead. :assclown:

Godson
February 4th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Lol. That was so much fucking fun

Yobbo NZ
February 4th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I reckon we should, just found my old account on there, last active in 2009.

Blerpa
February 5th, 2017, 01:04 AM
So, are we going to play this as usual or are we going to do a Fantasy Accountant League? Meh.

G'day Mate
February 5th, 2017, 02:09 AM
We need a poll

IMOA
February 5th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Just putting it out there that my offer to get drunk before I make my picks is still on the table.

Godson
February 6th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Lol

balki
February 6th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I'll probably do a traditional GTXFF1, with guys like Massa being 1/10th the cost of Hamilton.

dodint
February 22nd, 2017, 09:48 AM
Where do you get the values from? I'm going to run this on another forum and I just need the values.

It'll be fun since this one is caught in development hell.

balki
February 22nd, 2017, 10:51 AM
it was fantasyleaguegp.com or fantasyleaguef1.com
neither site seems to be running (last year still had the 2015 #s)

2016 I made up the numbers. I'll probably do the same this year, but after winter testing (starts next week, ends March 10th, should have the #s up the following week, season starts March 26th)
If you find anything useful please post it here

dodint
February 22nd, 2017, 11:21 AM
Will do.

G'day Mate
February 22nd, 2017, 11:37 PM
I wonder if we could use pre-season betting odds to calculate our numbers? Minimum cost of 1, max 20 (22 maybe) and everything else distributed in between?

Crazed_Insanity
February 23rd, 2017, 08:59 AM
I wonder if we can somehow generate a 'real market value' for our drivers?

For example, start off with driver values from last year... and let people pick... after day 1, if more folks pick Massa, then his value would actually increase and if nobody picks Hamilton, his value would actually decrease and becomes more affordable... and new driver values would be updated accordingly on day 2...

Of course this can get super messy during the registration period... ;)

Kchrpm
February 23rd, 2017, 09:14 AM
Driver stock market? That seems too convoluted for our little thing.

I like basing it on championship winning odds.

balki
March 10th, 2017, 04:18 AM
winter testing wraps up today, hope to put together some numbers next week (first GP weekend is two weeks away)
have you guys found realistic odds? thinking past performance and wild guessing will determine 80% of the costs, with testing 15% and odds 5%

edit: Threw some #'s together: top 3 teams come out to be 20% more expensive, the other 7 are half price (all are subject to change).
21 Lewis Hamilton
19 Valtteri Bottas
15 Sebastian Vettel
13 Kimi Räikkönen
14 Daniel Ricciardo
14 Max Verstappen
6 Lance Stroll
7 Felipe Massa
4 Esteban Ocon
5 Sergio Pérez
3 Fernando Alonso
2 Stoffel Vandoorne
2 Daniil Kvyat
2 Carlos Sainz, Jr.
2 Nico Hülkenberg
2 Jolyon Palmer
1 Romain Grosjean
1 Kevin Magnussen
0.5 Marcus Ericsson
0.5 Pascal Wehrlein

FaultyMario
March 10th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I think either pair of Hamilton, Ricciardo and Vettel should not be able to be bought. Neither Hamilton and Bottas should be priced that you could have them in the same team.

balki
March 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Ferrari was fastest in testing last year and they ended the season well behind Red Bull who ended their season well behind Mercedes.
It's still likely that Bottas will be the #2 points scorer.
besides you can have both the McLaren, Renault, Hass and STR for the cost of Vettel or Williams and Force India for Hamilton.
There will still be some tweaks

balki
March 13th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Mario, the #s revolved around the idea that Mercedes would combine to be 40. I'll raise some #s, but Ricciardo and Vettel will combine to be less than 40

Everyone: We can do two things,
A) keep it so that you can have two top drivers (both Mercedes for 40, Hamilton and Vettel + Sauber for 40, both Red Bulls + a Williams for 40)
B) raise everyone's cost 10% so you get one podium driver and a bunch of guys fighting for P7-10

Freude am Fahren
March 13th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Maybe one year we can implement our own point system that pays to last place? Bit of a crap shoot with the back markers, but could make things interesting.

That would work better with the latter option of more expensive top drivers.

As for this year, I'd still say let's make it so there are no combinations of HAM, VET, RAI, BOT, RIC, VER. Too extreme?

balki
March 13th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Then I'll raise it 10% to avoid 5 of the 6 drivers listed:
RAI was outscored by his teammates roughly 2:1 in 2015 and 3:1 in 2014
He did well last year, but has spun multiple times in testing this year (he's pretty rigid / unadaptable with how he likes his tires / front end to bite)

Freude am Fahren
March 13th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I kinda added him because I already had both RB's and Mercs. Felt bad for him I guess :| I think it'd be fine if he was well below the half-budget mark.

balki
March 13th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Plus he's driving for Ferrari. If they have a solid car they'll sacrifice his strategy by the third race of the season.
I'm going in the middle ground: no Hamilton plus another contender. Both Red Bulls can be had on the same team (we've never had it where you can't buy both of the second best team's drivers.
The big change is that teams 4-10 will be close to half price

Freude am Fahren
March 13th, 2017, 08:23 AM
:up:

balki
March 13th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Done.
Season/first GP weekend starts in 10 days, don't have time to go through a hundred different permutations (plus it's just bragging rights).

FaultyMario
March 13th, 2017, 11:23 AM
let's see how it goes.