PDA

View Full Version : Mount & Blade: Warband

novicius
June 20th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Mount & Blade: Warband (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/mount-blade-warband/bqxn1s3v3fn9)

Anyone try this game? It's an old indie PC port but looks immense... came across this title for recommendations for sword & shield action on the XBONE not named Skyrim.

Other suggestions were the Dark Souls series, of which I have yet to try but I know are considered among the best of the genre.

21Kid
June 20th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I've never heard of this game.. But, I love me some Dark Souls. But, it is nothing like this game or the previously mentioned Skyrim as far as an open-world setting. It is difficult to explain as linear, because it gives you zero direction and there is absolutely no hand holding. But, it is set within a very specific area, where you have to do certain things to progress to the next area. But, the combat is intense. I have yet to install and start DSIII because I know it will consume me. But, I can't wait!!! :D

It's more of a fighting game, but what about FOR HONOR?
Apparently there's a v2 (https://www.taleworlds.com/en/games/bannerlord)of the game you mentioned. (coming soon)

novicius
June 20th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I've never heard of this game.. But, I love me some Dark Souls. But, it is nothing like this game or the previously mentioned Skyrim as far as an open-world setting. It is difficult to explain as linear, because it gives you zero direction and there is absolutely no hand holding. But, it is set within a very specific area, where you have to do certain things to progress to the next area. But, the combat is intense. I have yet to install and start DSIII because I know it will consume me. But, I can't wait!!! :D
Yeah I've read reviews on all 3 DS games and they're action RPGs at best. But beggars can't be choosers and they're highly-highly ranked, so... #shrug

I'm going to download Mount & Blade tonight and give it a whirl.

It's more of a fighting game, but what about FOR HONOR?
Yeah I wanted an immersive open world type of game -- but with sword & board. ;)

Apparently there's a v2 (https://www.taleworlds.com/en/games/bannerlord)of the game you mentioned. (coming soon)
Great, now my dick's gonna be hard for a week. :angry:

GreatScawt
June 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM
You'd probably like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, but that is MP-focused.

novicius
June 20th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Yeah that's what makes M&B: Warband so intriguing -- it's not just Dynasty Warriors, there's an actual game world to interact with. :cool:

21Kid
June 20th, 2017, 11:15 AM
You could always check out Renfest (http://www.renfair.com/bristol/renquest/). :lol:

animalica
June 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
That`s the second game of the Mount & Blade series and it`s PC version was released in 2010 by a turkish indie developer.

In the beginning there is some kind of character creation that influences your stats and skills.
There are several different cultures but the quests are generic and there are no cutscenes.

You can do what you want, fulfill quests for just one kingdom, serve everyone, hunt outlaws, turn into an outlaw etc.
Graphics and textures even looked outdated in 2010 on the PC and the console port didn`t got any better.

But the characters and horses are well animated and the sometimes large battles are awesome but sometimes very hard - depending on the used weapons, enemies, number and type of warriors etc.

Controls are surprising good, especially since the PC version was done for mouse and keyboard but it needs some time to get used to.

It`s more a medieval Operation Flashpoint/ARMA than an arcade slaughter game.

I was surprised to discover the console port but it`s MSRP is just 20 Euro/Dollar and I got it on a digital sale.

Here`s a good review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGimKmmt0Ak

A useful starter guide:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUOKiTUOuMiHl56bOsAXMwnz5vtQKKLiK

I`m waiting for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord which is vastly improved and should be released at the end of the year/beginning of 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv2qb66PbUg

novicius
August 30th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Dusted this title off this week and started playing for serious. It is RUSTIC. Seriously, this is like Morrowind-level graphics. :lol:

...which means that I'm right at home but still, I don't recommend it for anyone. :D

::

Started off by playing a turban-wearing black man from the "new" desert nation of the Sarranid Sultanate. Weapons of choice: Polearms (which at my level means a staff)... and apparently they suck in this game so I might have to start over considering how many skill points I've wasted in the stat. :lol:

The game allows you to pick various backgrounds for your character's stages of life (street urchin turned merchant, for example) but like Animal said above, there are no cutscenes or in-game scenes to speak of. It is nearly a PS1-level game.

So far I've been talking to NPCs, getting through the small local quests as well as caravaning to far-flung towns and castles, which is academically enjoyable... but seriously? This world map reminds me of Ultima IV. :lol:

Anyway the entire reason I bought this game was due to the apparently awesome combat -- falls a bit short of "awesome". It is very Morrowind-like: stiff, limited and kind of tough to get the move off that you want to.

Ah well, I'm still enjoying the past few nights. Don't know how long I'm going to stick with it but it certainly is a textbook example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. :up:

EDIT: Parking this here.

Favorite cavalry are the Swadian Knight and Sarranid Mameluk. However the Khergit Lancer can be trained more quickly than either (fastest-trained elite unit in the game).

The best infantry is the Nord Huscarl (slowest-trained elite in the game, huge shield) followed by the Rhodok Sergeant (really good blunt weapon, heavy armor, gigantic shield).

The best archers are Rhodok Sharpshooters (in addition to high crossbow damage, they are actually good in melee and carry a huge shield; also, since crossbows shoot slower they retain their ammunition longer in a battle rather than wasting it early).

For castle defense the Nords or Rhodoks are amazing (Rhodok Sharpshooters are hilariously-effective, so are Nord Huscarls) and in general, crossbowmen are lethal against all troops due to their high damage even at low levels and since walls help to cover their lack of armor. Javelins are great but since their ammo count is pathetic javelineers are not the best ranged troops. Archers generally suck, so Khergits and Sarranids are not great at castle defense (mixed results against Vaegirs). Look for troops with good blunt weapons as well (Rhodok Sergeants, Khergit Lancers, Sarranid Mameluks; Nord Huscarls need no blunt weapons :P).

AI Rhodoks are terrible in the field but human-controlled Rhodoks will build formations and are extremely effective. Khergits and Swadians are excellent in the field, since Khergits have all-cavalry armies (fighting 90% horse archers is pretty difficult with large amounts of infantry) and Swadians have a good balance of all unit types.

Low-level Rhodok troops don't feel as well armored as other factions' low-level troops (particularly Nords, which have excellent stats at all levels), although Sarranids are worse. Khergits are the most reliable with an unleveled army since you can keep low-level troops on the move away from enemy infantry and they level up to elite status faster. Though Huscarls are the slowest unit to upgrade in the game, the different levels preceding it are all generally effective infantry (although you'd be better off with other spear-armed infantry to back them up, such as Rhodoks). First good Sarranid unit is the tier 3 Veteran Footman, followed by the tier 4 Archer and Horseman (Skirmishers are dangerous but very vulnerable, and have little ammo; veteran footmen have javelins as well albeit fewer). Not particularly fond of Vaegir troops although they're okay as supporting troops if you can't recruit your preferred style and have a partial army set up (ideally focus on their archers).

If the game is on lower difficulty, you can win with all cavalry. Their effectiveness goes down a lot as you raise the difficulty, but using infantry effectively in formations (or simply having them hold their ground on a slope or hill) is always effective.
Also adding a link to the lore. (http://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/Lore)

novicius
August 31st, 2017, 05:41 AM
Restarted my game last night -- again it's giving me strong Morrowind vibes (short of being able to pick up every object off of a table :lol: ), so it's tugging at my heartstrings pretty well. :up:

I'm still rockin' a Sarranid Sultanate merchant/merc. Finally getting my head around giving Movement & Formation orders in combat; I've got 15 Infantrymen and 6 Javalineers (soon to be Archers), and lining them up, moving the Archer group back ten paces, spreading out the front lines and then giving the order to Charge, it's all coming together nicely.

21Kid
August 31st, 2017, 08:14 AM
Why don't you just restart Morrowind? :finger:

novicius
August 31st, 2017, 11:15 AM
Well for one, your momma. :lol: #sickburn

http://media.giphy.com/media/sgYcX1QqBGPsI/giphy.gif

novicius
September 1st, 2017, 05:14 AM
What, one "Yo Momma!" joke and you're out Kid?!?! :lol: <3

::

Last night I continued growing my 25-member Warband into a hardened set of badasses. Javalineers have given way to a squad of proper Archers, and my Infantrymen are likewise stout. I've held off converting any of them to Cavalry at this point (because monies) but we're pretty good when it comes to clashing with mobs of looters and highwaymen. :hard:

I need to read up on how to more reliably make money in the game. I'm only rolling with 25 but my current Leadership level allows for 56 -- I just don't trust that I could pay that bill! :D

21Kid
September 1st, 2017, 09:07 AM
I don't know why I keep clicking this thread. I'm never going to play this game. :lol:

novicius
September 1st, 2017, 11:35 AM
I doubt I'll be playing it after next week too, so there's that. :D #buyD2

animalica
September 1st, 2017, 11:45 AM
Why don't you just restart Morrowind? :finger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SXtaU9fvOQ

Epic battles? :hard:

21Kid
September 1st, 2017, 03:12 PM
Okay. That's a little cool. ;)