PDA

View Full Version : Gaming guilty pleasures

M4FFU
September 19th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I won't try and dress it up as something it's not; I freakin' LOVE playing Farming Simulator '17. I was definitely a farmer in a previous life. Gone are the days of trying to find that perfect Green Hell lap in my heavy-man-hours-tuned FN2 Civic on Forza. No. Am I able to harvest the wheat in the North West field before it goes bad? Have I run out of artificial fertilizer? THE PANIC.

I've got it for the PS4 and for the 3DS, for my mobile fix, too. I've become obsessed. My wife is getting one of her friend's Dads who runs a farm to sort me out a ride on a tractor and combine.

It's not quite Barbie's Dreamhouse Party, but it's close...

dodint
September 19th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I've wanted to get into that, especially when I lived in rural Wisconsin, but figured it would be a huge time suck.

Yw-slayer
September 19th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Marvel Future Fight.

M4FFU
September 19th, 2017, 07:25 AM
I've wanted to get into that, especially when I lived in rural Wisconsin, but figured it would be a huge time suck.

Knowing what you're missing out on, I encourage it, but yes - like a collapsing star.

But FP-Forage Harvesting? Hook, line, sinker :D

I haven't even touch the livestock/forestry stuff yet, either.

Cam
September 19th, 2017, 07:45 AM
I play a lot of virtual golf on my mobile device. I play more video games than I probably should. :o

Rare White Ape
September 19th, 2017, 01:03 PM
The Yakuza series of games on PlayStation.

I played Yakuza Zero at the start of this year and fell in love with its weirdness. It is just SO eccentric and wears its Japanese-ness on its sleeve. Wrapped in all that is one of the most carefully crafted and finely detailed games I've ever played.

My copy of Yakuza Kiwami arrived last week and I pre ordered the Yakuza 6 After Hours Premium Edition, which comes with an art book and a set of whisky glasses, drink coasters, and ice rocks. I'll never open it, when it arrives in March. Instead I'll buy another copy of the base game to use as my play disc. I really hope Kiwami 2 makes it to the west, and beyond that it'd be great if they remade the PS3 games for PS4 too. I'm missing Yakuza 3, and I've got 4 and 5, but they're both digital downloads thanks to PS Plus. I'd love to have a full set of physical games to add to my collection.

speedpimp
September 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Super Mega Baseball Extra Innings. Got it with Games With Gold last year and it is my go to outside of Elder Scrolls Online.

Yw-slayer
September 19th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Yakuza is NOT a guilty pleasure. Unless, perhaps, you only play it for the pachinko machine.

Rare White Ape
September 19th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Nah it's the karaoke and the cat fights.

Yw-slayer
September 19th, 2017, 07:33 PM
That's OK too, since I assume that in your neck of the woods you don't have easy access to karaoke parlours or cosplay.

dodint
September 19th, 2017, 08:02 PM
To answer the original question, watching Keith race is a guilty pleasure. I generally think people that watch others play a game are mouth breathers, but something about live racing hooks me. I used to watch iRacing broadcasts too.

SkylineObsession
September 19th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Been wanting to try Farming Simulator ever since i saw the forestry option (or maybe slightly before that), but it hasn't gone anywhere near what i'd want to pay for it, so will hold off for now.

And in terms of the topic title, i can spend hours upon hours making stuff in Minecraft, making things all nice and perfect - all for no-one to see, other than family members who pop in for co-op. :D Huge time sink.

Yobbo NZ
September 20th, 2017, 03:15 AM
You could use the 2 week free trial of Xbox game pass and play Farming Sim 15.

animalica
September 20th, 2017, 03:27 AM
In my gaming life I came across all different kind of simulations.
And I like everything vehicular, on the ground, in and on the sea and in the sky.
Be it cars, bikes, trucks, busses, construction vehicles, trains, tanks, boats, submarines, planes or spacecrafts.

So of course I was also a bit curious about farming sims but a bit skeptical if I would like them.

One day I snatched a farming sim bundle for Steam for cheap but the sims were no fun to play. :(

But I subscribed to a german YT channel that only feature all kinds of sim.
And they played the hell out of Farming Sim 17 and it looked fun and tempting unlike the other farming sims that I tried.

So a bit more than a week ago I saw the base game of Farming Sim 17 50% off at Steam and I bought it.
And I wasn`t disappointed.
Operating all the different kind of machines, seeing them in action and doing all the farm work is really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-B5Q_SuJM

Yesterday I discovered that the XB1 version of Farming Simulator 17 was on sale for XBL members.
It was the Premium Edition with all content and the season pass which includes the upcoming Platinum DLC:

■ Platinum Expansion
■ Challenger MT800E Field Python
■ Challenger MT900E Anaconda
■ Fendt 939 Black Beauty
■ KUHN Equipment Pack
■ Big Bud Pack

The upcoming Platinum DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzlExzTp9I

Big Bud DLC - that is the tractor I`m saving for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34pJzIBgx8

The game support online play, mods, even on consoles and if you don`t like to earn money by farming, you can download a mod that gives you plenty of money, if you just want to spend money on gear.

On the XB1 I started on the eastern european map and my farm there looks like a run down former kolkhoz.

Edit: The game has a few tutorials on different aspects of the game and there is an optional HUD for the game controls which is very helpful.

Gameplay: You start out with a farm and few equipment.
To earn money you got to plant, harvest, store and sell your harvest but you can also expand on livestock and forestry.
If you are tired of a task you can hire a farmhand by the press of a button and he will automatically quit once he finished his task.

But you can also help your neighboring farmers by doing their tasks for money.
These tasks got a time limit which makes it sometimes a little challenge but the quicker you solve it, the more money you can make.

And it`s also a good method to learn the task and handle the equipment.
The farmers provide their equipment for their tasks so it`s also a good chance for a test drive.

If you don`t got the right equipment for your farm, you can rent it.

Time can set to realtime or in different acceleration steps.

Rare White Ape
September 20th, 2017, 03:48 AM
That's OK too, since I assume that in your neck of the woods you don't have easy access to karaoke parlours or cosplay.

Don't worry about the karaoke. A large amount of Asian immigration to Australia has seen to that. There's a neat little place called JPOPS just near my place that we visit fairly often to get our karaoke fix. It's BYO, and private booths are the go. Perfect.

And as for cosplay, well Halloween is coming up, and all you need to do is make sure your female guests dress up nicely.

Yw-slayer
September 20th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Heh, nice.

XHawkeye
September 20th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I've played 2608 hours of FS 13 & I haven't played it regularly since sometime in 2014.

The best thing about FS are the mods. Without courseplay I would've quit playing after 150 hours. With courseplay it no longer required 100% attention and one could do other 'stuff' while babysitting the game.

By the time I quit playing had 75% of the equipment my dad used & all of it was mods. (FS is an EU game with 0% USA equipment in game older 2010, except for the Farmall H.)

XHawkeye
September 20th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Transport Fever is my current chill out game when I'm tired of playing WarThunder.

XHawkeye
September 20th, 2017, 06:01 AM
My wife is getting one of her friend's Dads who runs a farm to sort me out a ride on a tractor and combine.

It's not quite Barbie's Dreamhouse Party, but it's close...

If you ever make it to Iowa or Texas, let me know and I get you in the cab of one thing or another.

21Kid
September 20th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I spend quite a bit of time on match 3 games on my phone. I usually play them right until the point that I can't proceed without paying, and then play for a little bit more.
I played Marvel: Puzzle quest for over a year, and currently I'm playing Legendary:Game of Heroes.

Jason
September 20th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Don't really consider anything I've played to be a guilty pleasure, because I have absolutely no gaming pride.

Leon
September 20th, 2017, 04:43 PM
My guilty gaming would be that I pretty much don't do any gaming. I bust out Neverwinter Nights on XBox1 every so often, but that's about my only gaming.

Can you do online co-op on Halo games? Because I still haven't finished the last Halo, and I hate playing solo (which is the opposite of my sex life, where I exclusively play solo)

Drachen596
September 21st, 2017, 04:04 AM
I will watch youtubers play games sometimes. Mostly games i want to see the story for but dont want to play or as a way to see some game play since demos seem to be dying off.

GreatScawt
September 21st, 2017, 04:55 AM
There are a couple of Diablo clones I play with my buddies when I can - Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile. They can be a bit mindless, but they both are great, well-made games.
The skill tree for PoE is beyond ridiculous. Take a look at it sometime, it's free-to-play and they charge only for cosmetics, it seems.

And sometimes I get a real hankering for Killing Floor 2. Wave-based mutant/zombie shooter with incredible gore and slow motion affects.

Rare White Ape
September 21st, 2017, 07:02 AM
I s’pose this can be considered a guilty pleasure; collecting all of the Switch JoyCon and controller colours. Here’s my current setup:

http://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21640944_10155516133390792_4923072625352767640_o.j pg?oh=eeea0e29bf2654abcec1574d853f67a4&oe=5A570CFF

I had to import the green/pink Splatoon pair because they’re not on sale in Australia. I ended up paying $10 less than normal retail value for them off eBay, which was nice. Next I’ve just got to figure out a way to procure the red/red set that will only come in the Super Mario Odyssey console bundle.

Drachen596
September 22nd, 2017, 04:01 AM
I wish the Yellow/Yellow combo was available with the switch instead of separate.

I have only seen the red/blue in stores here and none of the gray/gray ones. Either they make more red/blue or they dont sell as well.

animalica
September 22nd, 2017, 03:08 PM
I s’pose this can be considered a guilty pleasure; collecting all of the Switch JoyCon and controller colours.

Gulf Racing, Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick Star? ;)

Rare White Ape
September 22nd, 2017, 03:20 PM
:lol:

I like to combine the blue with a yellow to make a Valentino Rossi themed Switch.