PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a sim racing omnibus thread?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Rare White Ape
November 3rd, 2017, 05:48 PM
I think we should, and this is it. Let’s talk about our equipment and games and the janky options we use to set ourselves up.

I’ll open things by posting about this (which is good, because I’d otherwise have nowhere to post about it without it getting lost among other discussions). It’s a device that supposedly allows you to use any FFB wheel on any console, thus saving you heaps of money.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-03-this-gadget-fixes-the-video-game-steering-wheel-compatibility-nightmare

I wouldn’t get it just to use my PS4 wheel to play FH3 or FM6, the only racing games I own on the Xbone, but it might be worth it for someone who has say a PC or last-gen wheel (or a pricey Fanatec base) and already owns a new console with some games but doesn’t want to pay $300 for a new wheel. A good investment in this regard.

Tom Servo
November 3rd, 2017, 08:12 PM
It has been a long source of frustration for me that I can't use my G27 with my consoles, that may actually be really nice to get.

Cam
November 3rd, 2017, 09:01 PM
I race every Sunday night with rFactor. We just started our yearly Trans Am series using the Historic GT mod. I have a G25 that a fellow racer gave me after my MOMO Racing died. (It did not owe me a cent. Awesome value.) My cockpit is an Ikea hack, using a poang chair a friend gave us and about $10 of supplies from the hardware store. I use my 52” 1080p TV as a second (racing) monitor. My main screen is a 21” Cintiq.

I occasionally race Forza 6. I too am annoyed by not being able to use my wheel in Forza. It is not a big deal, as I get my racing fix elsewhere.

Alas, rFactor is getting obsolete. RFactor 2 has been out for a while and there are plenty of newer, shinier sims also. I think our little league will be dead soon, as many have moved on.

Tom Servo
November 4th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Right now, I've got pretty much all the majors, I think. rFactor 2 (though I still haven't installed it), iRacing, Pcars2, Dirt Rally, Forza 7, GT:S, and Assetto Corsa. I got a VR setup and now feel weird playing sims that support it without using it. It massively improves my ability to judge distances and hit my marks, just being able to look towards the apex is a huge advantage. On the downside, it shuts out the outside world, and I really like my wife, so I tend not to use it that much. It's got me in this weird spot where then I just don't drive at all.

I also need to get another SSD so I have some more room so I can keep all that stuff installed. Probably one of them PCI-E ones.

Rare White Ape
November 17th, 2017, 03:26 AM
I’m getting my racing seat closer and closer to something pretty cool now. Got my shifter mounted to the fold-up Playseat on a Ram mount, which arrived this week. I initially had it attached down near my thigh but it was way too far back, so I moved it onto the swingy-uppy steering wheel frame bit and it holds it just fine.

https://scontent.fbne3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23658353_10155663569855792_6018312531802597526_n.j pg?oh=4dda492c21d8fbd51a7f06d2c28282c8&oe=5AA7470D&dl=1

Now it’s in the perfect spot, and to reach it all I have to do is move my arm in a happy little arc down from the wheel and onto the shifter. Next I’ll cut the piece of wood down to make it smaller (and lighter because race car) and maybe even paint it black. Or just wrap it in black duckt tape. Or wrap it in faux carbon fiber (again, because race car). There’s one issue with the Ram, which I thought I’d mention in case anyone else goes down this route. It holds its position very strongly once tightened, but it wobbles like crazy when changing gears. I’ve put in a stiffer shifter mod, so this exacerbates things somewhat, but it’s worth noting. Another problem is that the shifter’s position interferes with the latch over the movable frame, but I’ll live with it.

As far as everything else on the seat goes, I’ve got all the bits hard mounted and the cables managed, and it’s pretty well complete now. It feels so god damned cool giving an old F1 car a blippy downshift heel-toe into a fast corner in Assetto Corsa on the PS4. I’ve spent the better part of my Friday mucking around in AC and PCars2, and trying out all the old H pattern cars, something that’s almost completely missing from GT Sport.

Rare White Ape
December 23rd, 2017, 04:55 PM
Assetto Corsa is cheap-as on Steam right now. It and it’s DLC packs are all 60-70% off. Despite already owning it on PS4, I bought it again, as well as the Porsche and Ferrari DLC for the princely sum of $22.

My laptop is no match for my PS4, so I’ve gotta run it at 720p if I want 60fps, but I’m future proofing myself for the next 18 months when I can finally get a spec’d-up gaming PC and play in VR. That’s still my goal :)

The game just received an update this week with a bunch of new cars and Laguna Seca. It’s great fun to drive AC, and I really enjoyed trying the new Huracan Performante. It’s got great handling, and you’ve just got to be patient with the treaded tyres if you’re used to slicks like I am.

Tom Servo
December 26th, 2017, 06:02 PM
I had a hell of a time configuring the VR on that. Dunno why, and I should probably go back and try to do it again. When iRacing and pcars2 work absolutely flawlessly out of the box and AC doesn't, I haven't touched it since I got the rift.

Rare White Ape
December 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Do yourself a favour and download the Goodwood and Bridgehampton mods for it.

Drive a Ferrari 250GTO or an Alfa Tipo on them.

Bring a big towel to clean up the jizz.

Rare White Ape
February 21st, 2018, 11:53 AM
New Assetto Alerto:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-21-the-new-assetto-corsa-bags-the-blancpain-gt-licence

The next standalone AC title will be called Assetto Corsa Competizione, and calling itself the official game of the Blancpain GT Series.

It’ll run on Unreal Engine 4, allowing for day/night and weather cycles, probably needing a million graphics cards to run at full tilt.

Early access coming this winter.

Rare White Ape
March 14th, 2018, 11:51 PM
More news for Assetto Corsa:

Looks like the recent free update for the PC version that brought Laguna Seca and a bunch of new cars has finally made it to consoles, as it was in my update history on the PS4 when I booted it up today.

It includes the stinkingly good Huracan Performante and the astoundingly pretty Tipo 33 Stradale, which comes in your choice of colours as long as it’s red. Simply lovely.

And April 20 sees the release of Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition, which I’m guessing is the final edition of the game, complete with all DLC.

Tom Servo
July 7th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Figured this would be a good spot to ask. My Fanatec Clubsport V1 pedals are pretty long in the tooth by this point. All three pedals jitter and can't reach the ends of their axes anymore - I've replaced the load cell for the brake and adjusted the magnet screws on the gas and clutch, but I think it's just that they're old and not working the way they should anymore.

I really like having a load cell brake and would like to continue with that. I also like that the brake pedal stiffness is pretty easily adjustable - having it ultra stiff reminds me of driving the Skippy. What's out there these days? I know there's the Clubsport v3 and the Clubsport Elite, not even sure which of those is supposed to be better. Anybody else out there making a decent set that's not hyper expensive?

dodint
July 7th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I am happy with the CSR Elite in that it's still supported. My logic board died and they sent me a new one. Quality pedals, too.

Freude am Fahren
July 7th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I had the V1's until they basically did the same thing. Though they never worked correctly, I couldn't ever have 100% clutch and throttle, they interfered with eachother.

I updated to the V3's and they've been flawless.

Tom Servo
July 7th, 2018, 06:21 PM
How adjustable are the CSR Elites? I know they can be adjusted side to side (which I really like), but can you adjust the stiffness of the brake pedal easily? For that matter, same question for the V3.

Sounds like Fanatec are still the go-to for reasonably priced good pedals.

Yw-slayer
July 8th, 2018, 01:29 AM
Long story short, the pedals of my Driving Force Pro don't mount to the ghetto gygameseat mount that I bought. This is because there are no mounting holes on the pedal base for the screws to go into. The zip ties also aren't long enough and don't seem to have anywhere to go.

(I guess I could buy some sort of rubber band like those I see on some websites to hold it in place - but I have doubts as to how well that would work. I wouldn't mind looking into this as I also bought the bloody converter to enable the DFP to be used with the PS4 :smh:) :angry:

Hence the plan is to use the DFP with my PC when playing on my 34" ultrawide monitor, but to get a G29 for the gygameseat mount for playing GT Sport on the TV, and if I want to play PC games on the TV (as I have a 30-ft HDMI cable connecting them).

Is this solid? Does anyone have any advice on getting some rubber bands? If they work, I'd much rather have less clutter around and save USD300+ on a G29 and shifter, particularly when several years ago I gave away a full playseat and G25 to my friend after my daughter was born (who then gave THAT away to someone else...)

Rare White Ape
July 8th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Get some Velcro straps instead, because no matter how hard you try, rubber will always move, and you want your pedals to be solid.

Yw-slayer
July 8th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Great idea, mate, thanks!

Something like these, to strap it on horizontally?

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-90441-Purpose-Elastic/dp/B008PQK5IS?th=1

Rare White Ape
July 8th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Yeah, as long as it’s not an elastic strap. The plastic ring in your example is perfect for applying tension.

Take note of the Playseat Challenge, how the pedal mount for that works. It’s designed to fit any pedal type, without using screws. They supply just one Velcro strap to hold the heel end of the pedals, because that end lifts up when you push down in the brake. They key is that its pedal mount has a little brace at the front to stop them sliding forward. It’s deceptively simple and it works really well.

Another option, if you’re game, is to just drill holes in the pedal base and stick some bolts in there. There’s no electronics at the bottom end of most pedal sets so that might work for you too.

stephenb
July 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Tom - The v3's (which I have) have more mechanical adjustability than the CSL elites. You can also get the optional brake performance kit which has different hardness durometers which replace the standard insert and can be used to fine tune pedal feel. I have it but have never used it as after adjusting the stock pedals I was perfectly happy with them, I run a fairly soft brake.

Other pedals to consider in this price range would be the Proto SimTech PT2 which have garnered good reviews from iracing members: https://www.protosimtech.com/

Sim Racing Garage has some in depth reviews of the Elites and PT2's: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_50ZiRFWSm7oziV1OZloQ/videos

stephenb
July 10th, 2018, 10:23 AM
double

Rare White Ape
July 11th, 2018, 03:01 AM
More work on the cheap-ass-but-not-jank sim rig tonight. This is what it looks like when Rare White Ape experiments with ways to mount the shifter. Tonight’s mission is to get rid of the stupid fucking RAM Mount setup I’ve been using (they’re good for mounting phones to handlebars but way too wobbly for angry gear changes) and use an L bracket. Three scotches and a whole Mastodon album later and I finally have what seems to be a decent way to attach the shifter to a 3/4” tube.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1823/43339534171_30f46fcb0e_k_d.jpg

Now please excuse me while I give it a test run and cleanse myself from using an imperial measurement.

Tom Servo
July 11th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Tom - The v3's (which I have) have more mechanical adjustability than the CSL elites. You can also get the optional brake performance kit which has different hardness durometers which replace the standard insert and can be used to fine tune pedal feel. I have it but have never used it as after adjusting the stock pedals I was perfectly happy with them, I run a fairly soft brake.

Other pedals to consider in this price range would be the Proto SimTech PT2 which have garnered good reviews from iracing members: https://www.protosimtech.com/

Sim Racing Garage has some in depth reviews of the Elites and PT2's: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT_50ZiRFWSm7oziV1OZloQ/videos

Awesome, thanks! Time to watch pedal reviews at work!

Yw-slayer
July 11th, 2018, 07:05 AM
Thanks rwa. Will order and try.

Tom Servo
July 20th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Ended up going with the Fanatec V3s. At work we use this site called bonus.ly where people can give points to others, which can be converted into things like Amazon gift cards. Between the points I got in the last year and our rebate for buying Nest thermostats, that covered the cost of the V3s and a Performance Brake Kit.

Should have it sometime next week...it'll be nice to have working pedals again!

Tom Servo
July 26th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Pedals are setup and working pretty well. I'm finding a bit of a learning curve with the brake - sometimes I feel like I'm braking really well, sometimes I plow right into the car in front of me (offline, thankfully). The brake stiffness adjustment is *so much better* on the v3 than the v1. I haven't installed the performance brake kit yet, maybe get around to that this weekend. Also of note - the pedal frame is actually balanced out of the box. My v1s needed constant adjustment to sit flat, otherwise they were like a table at a restaurant that needed a shim under one leg. I never did get it quite stable.

Freude am Fahren
July 26th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Yeah, my V1's had that issue too.

Biggest issue I have with the V3's is that I need to put something between them and the wall, since the clutch throw goes past the frame (or at least my foot does). I love the feel of the clutch though. Luckily, the packing foam they came with works perfectly, but over time starts to get uneven.

Rare White Ape
July 28th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Assetto Corsa Competitizione has a release date for early access. It’s September 12th. You get one car and one track.

There’s also a roadmap of updates and content that are coming over the next six months. The full game should supposedly release by the time round 1 of the 2019 Blancpain series happens. Saucy details below (hopefully)

https://www.racedepartment.com/attachments/ea-programm-jpg.261925/ https://www.racedepartment.com/attachments/ea-programm-jpg.261925/

Rare White Ape
September 12th, 2018, 04:00 AM
ACC releases in the next few hours. Pricing and details available here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/

It’s 24.99€ for the first release, ramping up in price as more features are added (if you buy-in now you’ll get the new content for free, including the full game). The price will jump up on November 14th.

Who’s jumping in?

Tom Servo
September 15th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Picked it up. Finding that I really need to install that new hard drive I bought to make room for all this.

Rare White Ape
December 21st, 2018, 01:21 PM
Amateur…

https://youtu.be/zJUcNRmjBrk

dodint
December 26th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I got a bunch of Amazon gift cards for Christmas, thinking of putting it towards a sim chair. The main requirement is that I do not want a bar between my legs, I want it open like a car.

The first is the Next Level Racing F-GT cockpit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FY342LV/

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71UCcjGS8-L._AC_.jpg

It's interesting in that the seating position is convertible so you can set it like a regular GT car, or drop it down for a formula perspective. Seems to be well reviewed.

The other is the GTR Racing Simulator GTA cockpit: https://www.amazon.com/GTR-Simulator-GTA-BLK-S105LBKRD-Driving-Cockpit/dp/B01NAH6I2F/

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/618hF9GfaTL._SL1366_.jpg

It's about $100 cheaper and is a more traditional design. The big complaint I have seen with it is the wheel mount portion is not as sturdy as it should be. That's a huge drawback as that's kind of the whole point of these. Supposedly they can be reinforced but it voids the warranty to modify it.

Anyone have any direct experience with either of these? Or thoughts based on general observations? I'm not going to purchase it until I'm sure I have the Rift problem corrected as I do not intend to use this with monitors. If money were no object I'd have an Obutto, but that's not in the cards.

stephenb
December 28th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Did you see this review of the Next Level?
https://youtu.be/1x-99Aob_Ws

Thought about any of the 80/20 aluminium profile rigs, if any are available on Amazon? iracing member forums will provide plenty of inspiration.

dodint
December 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
No, but by coincidence I happened to watch this one about an hour ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwy7I_in2ak

It answered a lot of questions. I'm hesitant to do anything right now until I get things settled with Oculus. I'm not interested in setting up a cockpit for a triple monitor setup and if this headset thing isn't worked out I'm not spending more money on this anytime soon.

Rare White Ape
February 16th, 2019, 01:14 AM
I haven't played a racing game in ages, but my (admittedly not very busy) schedule cleared up last Saturday, so I dragged out the wheel for a bit of a session. I spent aaaaaaaaaall day having a go at various things. Hours and hours. I started with GT Sport and Assetto Corsa on the PS4, then flicked over to the PC to play some proper sims.

I'd bought Automobilista (AMS) on a Steam sale back in November, but since I hadn't had the wheel out in a while I'd never even installed it. I am really chuffed to say that it is a brilliant little game. It has a really charming low-budget appeal, so it leans heavily into low budget racing classes, along with its one dramatic looping tune on the main menu. Not a lot of the cars that come with the game are licensed but there are a few. But the real interest lies in the cheap slow car series that get the heart racing even though the needle doesn't go much past 150km/h. A major highlight is the ARC class, otherwise known as Aussie Racing Cars. They're little tube-frame chassis wrapped in a cheap fiberglass body that vaguely resembles a Camaro, but powered by a Yamaha FJ1200 engine. The cars weigh about twice as much as the bikes they're donated from, but there is tonnes of torque available from the screaming four-cylinder so the cars get along at a fairly mean pace.

Also pairing up the stadium trucks with a ramp-laden Adelaide street circuit is a recipe for belly-cramping laughter.

I've since downloaded the CART Extreme mod for AMS and that's a frigging hoot. The mod is an adaptation for the famous CART mod for rFactor so you know it's of high quality. As I type this I'm also getting a mod called the Ultimate Megapack. It's over 5 GB and contains something like 15 tracks, compiled from an array of high quality tracks found on Race Department.

Another one I finally got around to playing is Assetto Corsa Competizione. Unfortunately I had to tone the graphic settings down to sub-potato levels (something about 2019 Unreal Engine 4 visuals and my aging laptop doesn't compute) so I could get a stable 25fps out of it at 75% resolution scaling. That blurry mess wasn't fun, so the game has been uninstalled for now, until I get an upgrade in the future. I did buy it on early access for half the price of the final game, so it's no great loss to me.

Sim racing has me hooked again, and I've been starting to look longingly at new seats and Fanatec hardware. That new formula rim is to die for...

But the price of a better rig and a new wheel is roughly the price of a decently specced PC and I need one of those first.

https://www.fanatec.com/image/data/CS%20SW%20V2%20X/V2X_M1.png

Kchrpm
February 16th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Did anyone play Grid Autosport? Have any impressions?

Freude am Fahren
February 16th, 2019, 03:10 PM
Damn, just checked out Fanatec's website. Haven't really seen what they've been up to lately. I do remember rumors of a direct drive wheel base. Seems they will be out soon. Along with that new formula wheel, and the shifter (4x magnetic shifter, and 2x analogue hand clutch) set, that looks like a baller setup.

Rare White Ape
February 16th, 2019, 05:58 PM
They’ve got a PS4 compatible base now too. Combine that with an Xbox compatible wheel and it’ll work on any system.

The one I’ll be eyeing up is the F1 licensed PS4 set, and probably buy an Xbox compatible round or GT style rim to add to it.

Plus the load cell brake mod. Sooooo, about $1000 to get going :eek:

dodint
February 16th, 2019, 06:32 PM
To bring the PS4 to my sim rig I would need a new TV. Or play it on a 27" PC monitor. Just to play GT:S. Not sure that's a prospect worth pursuing.

Freude am Fahren
February 17th, 2019, 08:16 AM
I've been using a drivehub for PS4 with my CSW. Works pretty well, except it has a strange deadzone in the middle that it likes to oscillate in. WOrks with my XBox hub, forumla rim and that cheapo xbox wheel.

Blerpa
February 17th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Did anyone play Grid Autosport? Have any impressions?

I play it on PC: arcadeish. With a career structure, but very repetitive.

Cam
February 18th, 2019, 03:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKOr8xDF63A

Rare White Ape
February 19th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Yeah Cam, simple but effective :up:

That chair looks amazingly comfortable.

Rare White Ape
February 21st, 2019, 12:32 PM
Dirt Rally 2.0.

Eurogamer likes it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-21-dirt-rally-2-0-review-a-marked-improvement-on-a-modern-classic

Rare White Ape
February 26th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Here’s a little something for the Assetto Corsa players.

https://youtu.be/BXVIs79Vg4U

Also this guy’s channel is great. Go check out the rest of his stuff!

dodint
May 16th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I didn't see an rFactor 2 thread. I've downloaded it and some mods so I can get some practice in for Carolina Motorsports Park next weekend. It was the only sim that had CMP available as a mod. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get my controls and VR setup running. The download is a few hours in already, glad I started it in the morning.

Cam
May 17th, 2019, 12:14 PM
I've been on the track and it seems pretty straight-forward--no tricky turns and it's pretty flat. Should be quick to learn.

dodint
May 17th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Supposedly T8 and the kink in T10 are the tricky spots.

Rare White Ape
May 25th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Yessssss!

https://youtu.be/Hv_s-VcSqRA

Interestingly, they’re using the Madness Engine that powers the Project CARS series.

I know that PCARS isn’t that good but I can’t wait to see what the AMS devs can do with it.

Tom Servo
May 25th, 2019, 09:52 PM
Dirt Rally 2 is half off on Steam this weekend. Disclaimer - I have not played Dirt Rally 2 or know much about it, but the first one was pretty badass.

Rare White Ape
June 13th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Wreckfest.

Wreckfest is 50% off on Steam. It's a giggle. It's also VERY DEFINITELY a racing sim.

Rare White Ape
July 9th, 2019, 04:28 AM
Dirt Rally 2 is half off on Steam this weekend. Disclaimer - I have not played Dirt Rally 2 or know much about it, but the first one was pretty badass.

Half price again, for the next few hours.

I bought the deluxe edition, and for the last few days I've been sampling its delights, like a muddy fine wine.

It is SOOOO good. The New Zealand stages are a must. They're fantastic. And if you get the deluxe version the locations from the original game are included (about half of them at the moment, with the rest to come later). I don't remember the Monte Carlo ones being that slippery. Yeah the tarmac bits are fun and narrow, but when you hit the icy parts is all on. The steering goes super sloppy and the car becomes the symbol on the old DVD player screensaver.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/QuaintLegitimateIceblueredtopzebra-max-1mb.gif

CudaMan
July 12th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Is anyone playing F1 2019? I saw some YouTube videos of it and it looked pretty fun. Turns out it is. I'm running it on PS4 Standard, and the graphics seem almost last-generation compared to what Polyphony Digital is able to do. And the F1 2019 physics have a couple oddities centered around curbing and traction/wheelspin. Aside from that, the physics seem pretty good to me and it's a real challenge being fast. To be fair I've mostly driven F2 so far.

I did a few time trials in F2 to get my eye in. Got to the top spot at Hungary after working at it for a couple days. I tried F1 at Silverstone and am more than a second off the pace after giving it a good try. I'm missing something there. I thought I just hadn't figured out how to deploy KERS, but I'm starting to think there isn't a way in time trials. There's no option to map KERS to any buttons. So, hm, I'm just slow in these. :p

The F2 Career scenarios are good fun so far.

It's definitely holding my interest!

Rare White Ape
July 12th, 2019, 04:30 PM
Yeah I’m keen on getting that game eventually. Just waiting on it to be on sale. Right now I’m charging through ACC’s career mode and getting faster all the time. Incidentally, the next round is Hungary, a track I haven’t driven on in years! That’ll be an annoying race; Hungary is tight and twisty, and the physics in ACC seem fairly weird in low speed situations.

You’re right about GT Sport looking a bit special. I’ve got my 2070 pegged running ACC, and it’s a fancy modern PC game running on Unreal Engine 4. GT just blows it out of the water.

CudaMan
July 18th, 2019, 05:44 AM
I should mention the AI are quite good in F1 2019. Not perfect, as they have their little oddities occasionally (like they're slow at the first apex of the fast chicane at Albert Park), but man can they race. I've never seen AI with such good race craft, not only between them and the player but amongst themselves. I've never had more fun racing AI. Right now I have them set to 100% strength. It's a good spot for me - the racing is really competitive and I have to work hard to nail the race and strategy for a podium (in the RedBull at least). I think the top players/streamers have them at 105-107%. I'm not there yet.

I also like how much management and strategy go into it. In career mode you pick your tire allocation for the weekend and decide which tires to use when. There are specific practice programs including qualifying simulation and tyre management - the latter I found very challenging yet rewarding. My attacking driving style has to be adapted to be fast while taking care of the Pirellis. It sounds like you just under-drive but if you do that you'll be slow. There's a sweet spot to find, and I find there's still intensity and effort to stay there, so the challenge remains in place for me. There should probably be more of a punishment for locking your front tyres under braking, though. It doesn't appear you can flat-spot them, and certainly for me I tend to wear out rear tyres faster than fronts even if I have some lockups (I've always been harder on rear tires IRL, too).

Between maintaining pace, racing the other cars, managing tyres, optimizing ERS usage, and thinking through strategy on the fly, it keeps you busy. At the moment, it's engaging me more than GT Sport.

Also, Devon Butler is a class A jackass. :lol:

Rare White Ape
July 19th, 2019, 05:25 PM
There's nothing like good AI to make you drive better. Crank up that difficulty and see how quickly you learn!

GT's rolling roadblocks are not AI. They're like pre-programmed bots.

Rare White Ape
July 24th, 2019, 01:31 PM
V8 Supercars driver Scott McLaughlin got himself a new sim rig.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/07/25/new-simulator-helping-mclaughlin-keep-sharp/

Rare White Ape
July 28th, 2019, 11:34 PM
F1 2019 is currently on sale on Steam and PS4 for 30% off. I don't know about the Xbox store, looks like it's full price there.

Yw-slayer
July 29th, 2019, 04:02 AM
I played a bit of Forza in the McLaren Senna which is at the Microsoft store in London.

Rare White Ape
August 3rd, 2019, 12:14 AM
Look at my ACC video capture! Look at how it runs on my new 'pooter! Look at how good I am at sim racing!

Look at how the YouTube video compression kills the low detail areas in the night race :rolleyes:

I'm actually quite happy with my setup right now. Competizione feels really nice through my cheap G29 wheel, although the physics seem kinda weird at low speed in hairpins. It's not as good as regular Assetto Corsa, but the racing action against the AI is brilliant, and the visuals are spectacular, particularly in a night race. Even the wet racing is great fun. Picking out the drying line on a damp circuit is thrilling and requires all of your attention. If you do end up trying this game, I highly recommend doing a 30 minute race with time acceleration set to full pelt just to see the day transition to night and back again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bQIkmWMAM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNWfXIS4nc&t=377s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKWy2dx89I&t=91s

Rare White Ape
August 16th, 2019, 03:27 AM
I drive up to Brisbane today with my dad, to check out a new place that had opened up. It’s a bar with sim racing motion rigs called VR Motorsports.

http://www.vrmotorsports.com.au/

Oh my fuck.

They are serious bits of kit. Developed in-house by the venue’s owner and running Assetto Corsa. He says each one cost tens of thousands of dollars to build. Direct-drive wheels, high-end pedals, wrap-around screens.

To start with, they suggested I try GT3 at Spa - yep the easiest fast cars at the most played-out track. But it turns out it was the right idea. I was getting thrown around! And those wheels pack a punch.

Now I’m ruined for at-home sim racing. My 3.5nm Logitech just doesn’t cut it against 30nm DD wheels!

On my next session I drove the E30 M3 at the Nurburgring. The Foxhole is a while other beast when you’re being flung out of the chair so hard that they make you wear a seatbelt.

Kchrpm
August 16th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Love it. Want.

Rare White Ape
August 23rd, 2019, 09:49 PM
Some aspiring genius has found a way to extract a track from Forza 7 and convert it to Assetto Corsa. I found it yesterday via a Race Department comments section, which linked to a Discord page, as it's not hosted on RD. Plus I can't seem to find any videos on YouTube highlighting it, so I made my own! For maximum lulz I drove a Audi PlayStation Team Oreca-skinned R8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgZsoWbbW9M

The track is fantastic, and wipes the floor with all the other Le Mans mods I've found for AC so far. I hear that it was laser scanned by Turn 10 for the Forza Motorsport games, so it should be just as good as the other official Le Mans tracks found in GT Sport, iRacing and rFactor 2, etc. I'm not sure if this constitutes piracy or whatever, but... whatever!

Combine that with the awesome Sol weather mod and it's a sure recipe for a good time. The track has benefited from the addition of night time lighting using the custom shaders patch, though I think the lights could be more prominent for added atmosphere, especially along pit lane and earlier in the evening. Racing at night in a GT car and having the LMP missiles hustling you with their headlights blinding you in the mirror while you're being lapped is absolutely fantastic.

In the track pack there is the full version, as well as the obligatory no chicane version, and a bonus pair of tracks with reduced trackside detail, to help reduce the load on lower-end systems. As you'll see in my video, I did have a bit of an issue with choppy framerate, but that's probably more down to the fact that Sol requires a fair bit of grunt. I could drop it down to 1440p or 1080p I guess.

To get it all running like this, you'll need Content Manager, Sol, and the track, which can be found HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/file/0fuuhczcct8vc5v/sx_lemans_1.2.7z/file).

And the aforementioned Discord page with the details is HERE (https://discordapp.com/channels/453595061788344330/453595062299918337). Just hit Ctrl+F on your keyboard then search for sx_lemans.

stephenb
August 24th, 2019, 06:57 AM
It's amazing what some people have done with AC. Nice showcase :up:

dodint
August 24th, 2019, 07:26 AM
AC has the car I want.
rFactor2 has the tracks I want.
iRacing has the community.

Things would be easier if I could eliminate at least rFactor2 since it's the only one that's not fully stable with VR.

Tom Servo
August 24th, 2019, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised these tracks don't just make their own laser-scan of the circuit and then license it out to developers. I'm sure right now a lot of developers have their own proprietary dot cloud, but this seems like something that could easily be standardized.

Rare White Ape
August 24th, 2019, 06:11 PM
I can’t be sure on this bit but I think some of the car manufacturers provide 3D CAD models to game developers too. They’ve definitely done it for advertising agencies in the past. So it is a no-brainer.

But even so, you could probably guarantee that developers like Polyphony will do their own bespoke modelling anyway, such is their level of fussiness.

Kchrpm
August 25th, 2019, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure if this constitutes piracy or whatever, but... whatever!

It does, but that's nothing new in the sim mod community.

Rare White Ape
September 19th, 2019, 12:48 AM
SRS BDNZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwAL-LI5IM

Rare White Ape
September 30th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Good update on the development of AMS2. Looks like things are coming along nicely, though I’m still sceptical about them using the Madness engine that powers Project Cars.

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/reiza-september-development-update.6837/

CudaMan
October 24th, 2019, 11:33 PM
F1 2019: I finally ventured into Online racing. My first race was at Canada. I decided to work on my SR (or whatever F1 2019 calls it) by starting from the back and avoiding incidents. I hadn't run here much, so for 1-lap qualy I drove most of the lap to learn what I could and then parked it after the Wall Of Champions to get a really slow time to put me at the back. Except about 5 guys had crashed out of qualy so they all gridded up behind me. I took a cautious start, and I'll give you one guess what happened in front of me in turn 2. Yep, total carnage. :lol: Followed by 5 guys trying to yell over each other about how stupid the other ones are. I got up to about 5th or 6th getting through all of that. It started to sprinkle about halfway through the 5-lap race, and it was getting real slippery on slicks by the final lap. I finished 3rd. Wanted to save the replay, but I don't see an option for that in online races. A major omission!

My next race was at Albert Park. Same plan, same qualy result - several guys crashed out and started behind me on the grid. I went way left and slowed down to let the field pass, saw the carnage in turn 1/2 and tiptoed through it, but some guy reversed across the track in T2 trying to recover and I got a lot of damage from clipping him.

After those races I discovered that my skill/safety ratings weren't changing, and that I had to go to "ranked" lobbies to accomplish that. Ah, ok. Will work on that. Hopefully in time that will allow me into races where people generally won't crash out so much.

A great reminder how far we've come in online sim racing with the likes of GT Sport and iRacing. Thank goodness.

-

In Career mode I'm ~5 races in to Season 1. Signed with RedBull and it gave me Max as my teammate. AI is at 100%, I'm not quite meeting RedBull's ambitions for points, but I'm way ahead of Max who has pace but doesn't race well (methinks they need to give him a 2019 performance update!). I'm 3rd in the Championship and Max is 7th. Car development seems slow going, even when I manage to nail all the practice programmes and finish on the podium. They're stingy on credits. It might be a while before I can win a race, unless I can put it on pole at Monaco or Hungary. So it looks like it'll take a few seasons to get a fully developed car.

dodint
October 25th, 2019, 05:47 AM
Is this on PC or console? If PS4 it auto-records your last 10 minutes of gaming. That's why most of my PS4 videos are me being crashed out, ending my session. Rarely catch the starts for the longer races. Might be something worth using until they fix it.

Tom Servo
October 25th, 2019, 06:01 AM
I hope the difference between ranked and unranked on F1 2019 is better than the one on Forza Horizon 4. The main difference on FH4 is that the unranked drivers tend to make silly mistakes, the ranked ones know how to and purposely try to end your race to protect their rankings. E.g., there was a problem with people wallriding, so they ended up adding a forced slowdown if you hit the wall hard enough. The wallriders just adjusted and started using other drivers as their wall, which had the added benefit of still acting like wallriding but also forcing the unsuspecting victim into the barriers, giving them the slowdown penalty instead.

CudaMan
October 25th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Is safety rating not a thing in FH4? In iRacing or GT Sport if you do that very often you'll be downranked pretty quickly and then you won't get into the better quality races.

At the time that I was on, I searched for 25% distance races in Ranked lobbies and didn't find any. Only 5-lappers. This doesn't make the "crash or win" mentality any less prevalent...

Nate, this is on PS4. This auto-record is just exactly what's on the screen, right? For sharing stuff? What I want to do is review parts of a race afterwards from different perspectives. Like, I think I may have been the fastest car on track for a couple laps as the rain was falling in Canada, but I'll never know now.

Tom Servo
October 25th, 2019, 10:36 AM
There isn't a safety rating in FH4, so that likely has something to do with that. Mostly just that I remember hoping that ranked was going to be better than un-ranked because the people might take it more seriously, but they just are more likely to use exploits to maintain their ranking. All of the highest ranked players I've gone up against race extremely dirty.

dodint
October 25th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Nate, this is on PS4. This auto-record is just exactly what's on the screen, right? For sharing stuff? What I want to do is review parts of a race afterwards from different perspectives. Like, I think I may have been the fastest car on track for a couple laps as the rain was falling in Canada, but I'll never know now.

Yeah, it's strictly a recording of how you saw the race. It's not like iRacing where you can switch cars/angles/etc.

stephenb
October 27th, 2019, 02:42 PM
I've been playing the crap out of ACC recently. For the most part really enjoying long endurance races against the AI, which the ability to save mid race facilitates very nicely. The update for 2019 season dropped last week and brought with it a host of improvements so now is a great time to check it out if you haven't already.

Tom Servo
October 27th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Rumor has it there's a Steam sale starting tomorrow. No idea if ACC will be discounted, but tomorrow is potentially a greater time to check it out.

Freude am Fahren
October 27th, 2019, 03:54 PM
I just picked up ACC yesterday. It was $35 right now. It is fun, but I screwed up and put the AI at full to start a career and you can't change it without editing some data file. Heh, oops. I'm pretty slow.

dodint
October 27th, 2019, 04:04 PM
ACC has a nicely modeled SpecE46 build.

Unfortunately it doesn't have any of the tracks I go to in real life, even in the mod community.

Rare White Ape
October 27th, 2019, 05:42 PM
I just picked up ACC yesterday. It was $35 right now. It is fun, but I screwed up and put the AI at full to start a career and you can't change it without editing some data file. Heh, oops. I'm pretty slow.

My career mode races are against hard AI. I’m not sure how that relates to the percentage slider in quick races, but golly gosh is it a good way to force yourself to drive faster.

I’ve had the most intense races for 15th place, and learned so much about driving smooth and fast since playing ACC a lot.

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2019, 01:58 AM
Rumor has it there's a Steam sale starting tomorrow. No idea if ACC will be discounted, but tomorrow is potentially a greater time to check it out.

Competizione did not get a discount, but Kart Kraft and RF2 are both 50% off.

I’m considering getting both, although you have to be weary about RF2’s add-ons. They’re very expensive.

dodint
October 29th, 2019, 05:10 AM
RF2 is tough with VR. I use it a lot because it's the only sim I can get with American club tracks in it, but I basically start a practice session and just wait for the VR to glitch out about 5-7 laps in. Which is okay for my purposes but might irk most people.

Cam
October 29th, 2019, 05:53 AM
rFactor 2 is 50% off until Nov. 1.

Bought. :)

dodint
October 29th, 2019, 05:55 AM
The CMP community mod for it is pretty good.

Rare White Ape
November 1st, 2019, 06:47 PM
Automobilista 2 as been delayed until March, but on the flipside they've confirmed that Jerez will be included in the game at launch.

The developer has posted the news, as well as heaps of pics, videos and progress notes over on their forum.

https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/reiza-october-2019-development-update.7088/

Cam
November 5th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Guys that have raced several of the latest sims, can you give me a quick rundown of the best (I know that is subjective) race sims with pros and cons of each?

CudaMan
November 5th, 2019, 09:11 AM
I'll be interested to hear those opinions, too. I'm kind of on the outside looking in at this point, with a PC too old to run anything properly. My guess is iRacing and AC are going to be in the top 3 or 4 of anyone's list.

-

For a couple years I've been using my PS4 for my sim racing fix, occasionally firing up GT Sport or F1 2019. In both titles I haven't been able to find as much speed as I would like, and my first thought has been that A) I'm getting older (38) and B] I'm not easily as able to fully engage my brain in sim racing since I started real racing. Recently, another theory began to percolate - what if my TV, while praised vaguely for its low latency Game Mode, had a bit too much display lag? I've never felt super connected on it. And I've never been able to find factually published display lag measurements for it. .

So as an experiment I stole my PC monitor and hooked it up to the PS4 in the living room. My monitor is old but has fairly low input lag at 18ms. I could tell a difference immediately - while it wasn't huge, it was noticeable. Everything felt more homogeneous, more connected. My corner exits were cleaner and more consistent. I tried 2 car/track combos in F1 2019 that I had recently done, and went faster on both of them, even though the size + viewing distance made the monitor setup less immersive (and the picture quality was nowhere near my TV!).

Just my little story about searching for my lost speed. :) I think there's some potential here. But it makes me want to forgo the awesome surround sound living room setup and move the PS4 to a gaming rig + monitor setup that I don't have. As the old saying goes: [i]Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

dodint
November 5th, 2019, 09:18 AM
I have:
iRacing
AC2
RF2

iRacing is the most rigid. It's a simulator. It only has one camera view during play. It's very hard to use a gamepad or keyboard. It doesn't have AI at all, you're either racing people or yourself. You have to be online to use it even if you're in a session by yourself. All the content is licensed and the subscription is a steady cost over time. VR is dependable. Access to iRacing.com gives you access to their forums which is a great way to learn a car, track, or series.
AC2 is the most polished in terms of overall package. It's slick, the physics are really good, it has a strong mod community, it's fairly easy to configure. I like it.
RF2 is rough, tough with VR. Graphics are the lowest of the bunch. Really good mod community because it was fairly easy to port RF cars/tracks to RF2. I only use this to learn tracks I'm going to drive in the real world that I can't get on a better sim.

I had Forza but returned it because of the loot box stuff, and it's an arcade racer which I can do with GT:S.

Grab AC2 if you can get it on a Steam sale.
Subscribe to iRacing if you can commit to it OR you think you can make $12/mo making paints. Then it's free...until you start buying content (tracks, cars).

dodint
November 5th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Oh, almost forgot. I love Project Cars 2 but I only have it for PS4, I can't comment on it for PC. But if you saw it for cheap in a Steam sale it worth the grab. See if it comes in an 'Ultimate' edition or something that has a bunch of DLC bundled with it. Lots of cars from a myriad of eras, lots of tracks (Europe-centric, but good enough). And everything is unlocked from the start. Good career mode, too. The online lobby system leaves much to be desired and is the worst feature of the game.

Last time Phil and Keith were at the house they spent most of the time in PC2 instead of GT:S, which I found surprising. They were enjoying bashing into bales of hay on Old Spa, etc.

Rare White Ape
November 5th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Top of my list is Assetto Corsa. It has an amazing mod community that has found new legs of late. Pair it up with Content Manager and Sol for a pretty wild experience. All of this wouldn’t happen if the foundation of the game wasn’t incredibly strong to begin with, and it is.

Second is Assetto Corsa Competizione. In the move to Unreal Engine it loses mod support and that thriving community, but in return you get an incredibly focused racing sim that is based on a single category with Blancpain GT3. I’ve had some of the most fun in this game, racing against AI set to a high level and just going for it. But be weary with this title; there are a few niggling UI issues that cause you to miss an important detail, such as pit stop rules, and they’ve caused me to be disqualified halfway through a long career mode event, plus the physics have this weird spooky feeling at low speed where you literally can do nothing if you’re sliding.

Third is maybe F1 2019. It’s not really a sim, but as with ACC it’s a very focused replication of a specific racing series. You’ll be picking it up cheap as soon as the real life championship comes to a close.

Fourth is Dirt Rally 2.0. Forget the first game, this one improves on it in every way… except for the greedy season pass strategy. Pick it up on a Steam Sale for half price and that’s not as bad. This game will give you sweaty palms and make your Ikea sim chair squeak like an injured rodent.

I’d say ignore PCars 2. It’s trash. Good car and track list tho. But it’s trash. (Subjectively :p )

I’ve never played I racing otherwise it’d probably be first on my list :D

Rare White Ape
November 5th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Oh, and Wreckfest for when you wanna let your hair down.

dodint
November 5th, 2019, 12:04 PM
My impressions apply to AC, not ACC, fwiw.

Cam
November 7th, 2019, 06:57 PM
I finally hooked up the wheel tonight and did a bunch of laps in rFactor 2. I tried several different cars, mostly the classics. I noticed several glitches, which is a bit annoying. I found it quite challenging to drive, being accustomed to rFactor 1. The grip level is vastly different. It will take some getting used to. The Howiston (Ford Maverick car) at Brazil in the pouring rain on slicks. :eek: :lol:

Then, I dusted off my copy of Live for Speed! I always liked how that sim feels. Too bad it never really went anywhere.

Cam
November 7th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Help. I have a minor thing I would like to change in rFactor 2, but it is not obvious to me how. In RF1 (and LFS), if I downshift with the paddles, it goes from 1st to neutral to reverse. In RF2, it does not go past 1st. how do I make my shifting like RF1?

Rare White Ape
November 8th, 2019, 05:52 PM
:):):):)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKGYMxz7BC0

Rare White Ape
November 28th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Codemasters has purchased Slightly Mad Studios.

The investment should be a good thing, for the Codies stable of racing titles as well as development of the Madness engine and the next Project CARS game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-28-codemasters-acquires-project-cars-dev-slightly-mad-studios

dodint
November 29th, 2019, 05:22 AM
It's possible that's the only thing that could get me to purchase another Project Cars title. Even then it's going to take some convincing, I'm not buying it at launch.

Rare White Ape
November 29th, 2019, 06:29 AM
PCars 2 was on sale via Steam a few weeks ago, and I toyed with the idea of buying it, despite already owning it on PS4.

After some umm-ing and ahh-ing, I thought I might just reinstall my PS4 version and play that to check if it was actually as good as people said it was, before buying the PC version.

It saved me $22 that I felt was better spent on booze.

dodint
November 29th, 2019, 07:20 AM
They do so much right, but it seems once they release the game they make zero effort to fix the small things that would make a huge difference in terms of enjoyment. I won't buy PC3 until I'm certain they've addressed these fundamental flaws, as many of them were carried over from PC to PC2.

Granted, it's still a really good game and I don't regret getting it and hope PC3 is even better. I'm just not going to be the guinea pig for them next time.

Rare White Ape
November 30th, 2019, 12:53 AM
And for me, Automobilista 2 will be the big tell. It’s being built on the Madness engine and it’s looking really good.

So, will AMS2 have the same issues (engine problem) or will it totally wipe the floor (lazy PCars developer problem)?

CudaMan
December 6th, 2019, 05:55 PM
F1 2019 ranked online racing...

I got put in a lobby of 7-12 racers last night, unranked to average rankings. Qualifying is really hard because I don't know all the tracks yet and you don't even get a warm-up lap, you're just thrown into one lap superpole qualy. Quite the time to be figuring out your brake markers! So I usually started midfield toward the back.

One race in China was interesting. I started at the back and had to work my way forward a handful of cars. Midpoint of the race it starts drizzling and I'm catching 2nd place. 1st place is up the road another 5-10 seconds. I make the pass for 2nd out of the hairpin at the end of the lap as it's getting wet now, and I dive into the pits to put inters on. So does the guy behind me I was just battling with. Except he uses me to brake for the pit entry corner and spins me 180 to the outside of the corner. Remember where Lewis Hamilton beached it on dead tires and threw away the race win and championship? That's the spot. Once I recover I forget I still need to change my strategy to put inters on instead of mediums. As I'm on the pit limiter I'm fumbling to change my tire choice and miss it. I go out on mediums. It's not raining hard yet and it's still just dry enough that my pace isn't horrible, so I stay out hoping it might start to dry up. It gets wetter. Side note, Codemasters did a brilliant job with the force feedback. I can feel the grip change through the steering as conditions change. Really cool. Anyway I overtook the guy who spun me when he made a mistake, but I have to pit for inters now, necessitating a second stop. The leader got the strategy right and only made one stop - for inters. I come out of the pits miles behind with maybe 6 laps to go. I soon see that I'm catching him by ~3s a lap. These tires and conditions are pretty fun to drive on to be honest! I'm catching the leader, the laps are winding down, and if we both continue at this pace it's going to be close... On the final lap I don't quite get close enough for the DRS zone on the long back straight, but I'm hopeful he makes a mistake in the final two corners... He doesn't, I finish 2nd a little less than 1 second behind. What a fun race despite all the drama in the first half!

After my third race or so of the night, I got ranked for the first time. Gold, with a safety rating of A. Then it kicked me out of the lobby with some nondescript error message. Upon rejoining there was only 1 other player, also high ranked. I tried a couple more times and still only one other player was on. I am highly suspicious that I'm now ineligible for lower-ranked lobbies and that there aren't many high ranked players on the PS4 platform. I hope this isn't the case, but if it is, at least the AI and Career Mode are good!

Rare White Ape
December 14th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I’ve just vastly upgraded my racing setup.

Yep.

I’ve ordered a Fanatec CSL Elite F1 PS4 bundle and a Next Level F-GT seat.

I’m pretty darn excited :D

Now to flog my Playseat Challenge and G29 on teh Facebooks…

stephenb
December 15th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Sweet :D

Cam
December 15th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Wow. :up:

dodint
December 15th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Next Level F-GT seat.

I really like mine. Enjoy. :up:

Rare White Ape
December 15th, 2019, 02:56 PM
I got to sit in one at the place that sells them. It’s an online store who happens to be right around the corner from me!

I was surprised with how robust it was, plus they’re on sale for Christmas. I couldn’t say no!

Plus the CSL bundle got a $300 price drop down to $1000. Couldn’t say no to that either!

I’ll scrimp a bit more cash and get a load cell kit in the next few weeks too.

dodint
December 15th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Yeah, it's a substantial unit.

Freude am Fahren
December 15th, 2019, 04:20 PM
F-GT is a great value, but I find my butt is pretty sore after about 30 minutes. It also doesn't breathe well, so swamp ass is real. I suppose that's all part of the sim lifestyle :lol:

I might try to mod it with a softer cushion. Or maybe even replace the seat itself if I can find a suitable cheap used replacement. I haven't tried the formula layout, that might be a bit more ergonomic and spread out the load too.

Just be careful not to over-tighten any bolts. They can strip and/or deform the rails.

Cam
December 16th, 2019, 03:26 AM
Swamp ass. :lol:

I feel my poang chair setup is great, but swamp ass is real. The cushion is warm, cozy and comfy, which is a disadvantage during those intense races when I'm literally sweating from the effort. I should figure out a mesh solution to facilitate cooling.

dodint
December 16th, 2019, 04:00 AM
That's surprising to me given the complete lack of side bolstering in the Next Level F-GT. The only time I ever notice sweat is on my brow after a long VR session, but I'm not a big sweater to begin with so that could be why.

Rare White Ape
December 16th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the tip regarding the bolts. I work for a furniture retailer and it’s a common problem when customers fuck up simple tasks and damage things which we end up having to replace. It’s always good to have a reminder :up:

Plus I almost always race with a fan pointed at me. The Challenge has an Alcantara sling for a seat, while the F-GT has a vinyl pad. If I get a swampy arse I could just go naked… or drape a towel over it.

stephenb
December 19th, 2019, 05:08 AM
https://youtu.be/Juw3allakAg

Couple of laps round Spa in ACC. Snipped this from a mega online race last night, 82 slot public server fully populated (https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/spa-biggrid-race-event-stress-test.61113/) Taken from the reply with all settings maxed. I can only dream of the day when it looks this good in VR.

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2019, 12:55 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

https://i.imgur.com/iBWXSPm.png

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2019, 09:54 PM
My wheel arrived, holy wow is it pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/1i2U5M6.jpg

It's only the el-cheapo formula rim, but it looks the goods. Such detailing and construction - it's pure motorsport! I'll die jizzing when I get my hands on the more expensive Formula Carbon rim (you know I will be collecting wheels from now on).

https://i.imgur.com/b0sFFcJ.jpg

I built the seat on Wednesday night and didn't attach anything to it until the CSL arrived today at 10am. It took me until 4pm to get it all set up to a satisfactory level. I'm super happy with the Fanatec purchase, not so with the F-GT seat. It was a total pain in the ballsack to adjust it to how I like. It was assemble, disassemble, assemble, disassemble. I've settled on the formula position for now because the GT position was hurting my tailbone and my lower spine, it's much better except that it's super hard to get in and out of and I can't use the included shifter mount because its nearest position it just too far out of reach in this seating position. I'll have to think on that before I eventually buy the Fanatec shifter.

I still like the seat, it's very reasonably priced and has a lot of good ideas, but the potential for a more user-friendly experience during construction and use is just not being realised as far as I can see right now. For example, I want to get my dad round to have a go but he had knee surgery a few years ago and can't bend more than 90 degrees on his right leg, so I'd basically have to pull the wheel plate off to get him in and out. Imagine if you could just pull a pair of pins out and swing the whole wheel support forward and away, so that infirm old buggers can easily hop in.

Here it is all plugged in for the first time earlier today. The loungeroom was a bomb site for a while!

https://i.imgur.com/Vsln5Y0.jpg

I've given the wheel a go in GT Sport and did about 150km. After only 3 laps I was within a second of my best Spa lap time in Circuit Experience, but I'm not able to be consistent yet. It helps to eat instead of drive while hungry and excited! The FFB is amazing, thanks to the extra torque I can feel the limit of grip into corners a lot better, and feel the loss of traction under power to a similar degree. This will make my driving a lot faster, I think. I've also got to get used to the different calibration in braking with these pedals. The Logitech would hit 100% braking before you go to the firm rubber stopper (which would be my inner deadzone in any other game). I'd like the pedal to be a wee bit firmer but it's not too bad. I'm getting a load cell for it soon anyway. Now I've got it hooked up to the PC and I'll be giving it a go in some properer sims.

Happy happy joy joy :)

https://i.imgur.com/cW0VBPh.jpg

Cam
December 20th, 2019, 02:36 AM
:cool::up:

stephenb
December 20th, 2019, 02:02 PM
xmas came early!

Tom Servo
December 20th, 2019, 05:31 PM
That is sharp looking!

Rare White Ape
December 25th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I have a surfeit of Christmas money available so I’ve just ordered a load cell brake :toast:

Rare White Ape
December 27th, 2019, 10:56 PM
Here's my new setup - and my dad - in action playing GT Sport :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGv795doWXc

Cam
December 28th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Pro. :cool::up:

Fiat500
December 28th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Ballsy Eau Rouge/Raidillon, Rivage seemed a little trickier.

Very cool! :up:

Rare White Ape
December 28th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Yeah that corner kept sucking him wide. He eventually did a 2:02 driving the SF19.

At home he’s got a home-made rig with a cheap Thrustmaster that one of his friends built to play F1 2016 on Xbox. The ergonomics are terrible!

He lost interest and sold it to my dad, so dad uses it to play the original rFactor on his ancient laptop. He’s got all these different F1 mod packs that he finds on Race Department.

So yeah, he gets plenty of time to practice with a wheel, but not enough that he really polishes his ability to churn out quick and smooth laps.

Not bad for a boomer tho hey :D

Freude am Fahren
December 31st, 2019, 04:54 AM
Is that wheel base one of the specifically made for PS4 ones? And if so, does it still have the weird deadzone/wobble on center in GT:S?

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2019, 02:30 PM
Yep it’s the CSL Elite for PS4, and no I haven’t noticed anything weird. It feels great in the centre. You can even flick the wheel and let it go while driving at speed and it’ll be naturally drawn to a stable position just like a real car, which simply doesn’t happen on the Logitech wheels due to its rattly gearbox.

Freude am Fahren
December 31st, 2019, 04:00 PM
Nice. :up: I use a drivehub to attach my CSW, and if you let go of the wheel at center, it will oscillate like crazy, and there's a clear notchiness feel as you go across center.

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2019, 04:16 PM
Hmm, I've had a brief go with this wheel on my PC and I do get crazy oscillations in other games, which I've yet to pay attention to and tune out, but none of the notchy center feel.

I'd dare say that for my wheel there might have been some sort of allowance for it in the drivers in GTS, whereas you're using a non-compatible wheel with an adapter which wouldn't have official support.

I'll pay attention to this sort of thing next time I'm using it on PC and get a better idea of how it feels.

Rare White Ape
January 6th, 2020, 05:02 AM
A new box arrived for the cats today.

https://i.imgur.com/RFlm6Cu.jpg?1

The stuff inside it will take some getting used to. But it feels oh-so good.

Rare White Ape
January 15th, 2020, 02:32 AM
How good is Bathurst?

Kunos is ramping up the marketing push for the new IGTC pack in ACC. My guess is the DLC will hit just prior to the B12H, which is only a few weeks away.

https://i.ibb.co/3f441Cr/040-D70-F5-F44-C-487-E-ABDE-FC053-D271-C03.jpg (https://ibb.co/q077Bry)
https://i.ibb.co/0Q4TMwW/612-D3066-1-B2-D-4-D70-A3-CB-26-A60325025-C.jpg (https://ibb.co/pnVczms)

Rare White Ape
January 18th, 2020, 05:54 PM
iRacing Daytona 24 is on now. Record number of entries - over 1000 teams registered! There are 26 splits running right now. This is top split, Billi’s mate Max is driving the #33 white and yellow DP.

https://youtu.be/WfwMm1cHrR0

dodint
January 18th, 2020, 06:18 PM
We should do a team next year, we have enough folks I think.

Cam
January 18th, 2020, 07:04 PM
I did not even know this was happening.

dodint
January 18th, 2020, 07:07 PM
Well, it's January, so... ;)

Wait till you see what happens in June.

Bruh: https://www.iracing.com/specialevents/

Rare White Ape
January 18th, 2020, 08:35 PM
iRacing usually hosts their version of big races a week before the real thing.

And I’d honestly be keen to do a 24.

dodint
January 19th, 2020, 06:06 AM
24N is open for me, I will have been back in theb im for about 6 weeks and that should be enough time to knock off the rust and pump up my stats. 24LM is the weekend of my brother's wedding, probably couldn't go. Spa 24 sounds awesome and is sandwiched between two real world time trial weekends for me.

2ndMoparMan
January 20th, 2020, 05:37 PM
Watched a lot of Jimmy Broadben't 24 hour run. They got punted a couple times and ended up 8th in class.

Rare White Ape
January 20th, 2020, 06:51 PM
I watched his team mate Nate’s stream on Twitch. Same car but they were showing external cameras.

After Nate’s final stint the stream quickly devolved into a cursed meme stream. It was hilarious and went for three hours.

Jimmy would be asking for race info and pit strategies, so every so often Nate and Boiley had to turn the music off and put their serious faces on to get the info needed. Then it would go back to the memes and mashups.

2ndMoparMan
January 21st, 2020, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a typical Jimmer stream. :) I know 359 watches him too.

Freude am Fahren
January 21st, 2020, 02:57 PM
I do too occasionally. I watch his edited videos of fun stuff more than the serious sim streams, but I'll still tune in once in a while.

Tom Servo
January 21st, 2020, 03:30 PM
As a side project/keep my programming skills up kinda thing, I've been working on telemetry server for various sims/games. Right now it only supports the Forza games, but adding support for others shouldn't be too hard now that the overall plumbing is there. It ingests the data over UDP while also hosting an HTTP server on the local network that displays some sort of telemetry data (right now it's just an HTML table with updating values for things like RPM, Speed, that sorta thing, but I ultimately imagine it having actual gauges and the like). I know there are a bunch of apps already that do this, so I figured I'd gauge interest before bothering to do anything like packaging it up in a way that makes it friendly to install. It's written in go and is pretty easy to get up and running if you have the go compiler installed (which is pretty basic and non-intrusive), and would also be easy to get into a docker container, but making an actual installer would be more of a pain.

If there is interest, which sim should I attack first? I'm figuring it's between iRacing and ACC, but wasn't sure which way we'd go on that.

Rare White Ape
January 21st, 2020, 07:13 PM
I was going to say go with AC because it has a strong modding community who’ll be receptive to this sort of thing, but then I noticed you actually wrote ACC.

Interest behind ACC is a lot smaller, but it’s growing fast with its current updates and improvements. There are very few apps available for it on Race Department (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/acc-misc.181/), so I think this would be a good opportunity to get in while the game is fresh and gain a bit of traction.

Tom Servo
January 22nd, 2020, 05:21 AM
I should see how similar/different they are in their data streams. That said, I'm glad you mentioned that because I was clearly reading the AC docs and haven't found the ones for ACC yet.

stephenb
January 22nd, 2020, 08:00 AM
Documentation can be found here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/acc-shared-memory-documentation.59965/

You'll need to link you Steam account to the forums to be able to view it. But you may want to have a look at this thread first before spending any more time on it: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/acc-telemtry-app-racingsimtools-com.58894/ (shouldn't need to register to view this one).

Rare White Ape
January 28th, 2020, 01:10 AM
:eek:

(all info can be found in the video description)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWa2lnNzUY

Rare White Ape
February 6th, 2020, 01:12 AM
I now own one-and-a-half steering wheels, thanks to a second-hand purchase I made this week :)

I was planning to buy the Universal hub with an Alcantara GT wheel, but this popped up in a buy-swap-sell FB group so I jumped on it and saved a bit of cash.

A cheap knock-off 320mm flat bottom "Momo" wheel is on its way thanks to eBay as I speak, hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

https://i.imgur.com/EUcQMAv.jpg

stephenb
February 8th, 2020, 10:58 AM
^ I hope you'll be doing some laps around here with that wheel

https://youtu.be/FUqhiCzQ8kY

Cam
February 8th, 2020, 06:35 PM
iRacing’s 12 Hours of Bathurst was today. A couple of sim racers I know participated with their team. I think that would be fun to try at some point. A 24 hour race has been discussed already, but I think we should do a shorter endurance race to get some endurance XP. :cool:

dodint
February 8th, 2020, 07:34 PM
PLM would be my vote. October is a good time of year for that kind of thing.

Rare White Ape
February 8th, 2020, 08:39 PM
That would fit well with my time zone too.

Speaking of my time zone, I’d be a good pick to do overnight stints so you guys can get some shut-eye during a 24 hour race.

Rare White Ape
February 10th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Here she is! My $60 "Momo" steering wheel. Just as good as a real one. Thanks China :up:

Unfortunately it didn't come with a Momo sticker like in the eBay photos so I'll have to buy one. Plus I want to grind down the horn button that came with it, and actually mount it in the centre there, just for show. That gaping hole, while kinda cool, just looks odd.

In use, the larger wheel is very nice, however the extra size over the F1 rim gives you more leverage over the FFB, reducing its effect. I knew this would happen but not to this extent. Almost feels like a G29 again :D

https://i.imgur.com/v0L8GFo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/owTtQVO.jpg

Rare White Ape
February 10th, 2020, 04:58 AM
And Stephen, I did have a go with it in the Porsche GT3 at Bathurst. How the bloody fuck do you lap that track so quickly in that car? All it wants to do is loop itself around on the exciting hilly stuff, like no other car I've tried wants to. I tried the McLaren 720S as well, and that was much nicer. I can drop easy 2:07s there with the McLaren, probably shave off 4 seconds if I practised and tinkered with setups.

Cam
February 10th, 2020, 05:08 AM
Serious bidnez. :up:

dodint
February 10th, 2020, 05:15 AM
Looks good!

I have a Momo mounted to my wheel. Unfortunately I'll be taking it off in a few months to put it in my real race car. :lol:

Rare White Ape
February 13th, 2020, 09:48 PM
For the triple screen users out there:

(Skip to 11 minutes to see some driving action)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egVD_UqkhcM

And a review in english:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7QOFg_MiQ

stephenb
February 15th, 2020, 07:50 AM
And Stephen, I did have a go with it in the Porsche GT3 at Bathurst. How the bloody fuck do you lap that track so quickly in that car? All it wants to do is loop itself around on the exciting hilly stuff, like no other car I've tried wants to. I tried the McLaren 720S as well, and that was much nicer. I can drop easy 2:07s there with the McLaren, probably shave off 4 seconds if I practised and tinkered with setups. Practice :erm::p I have been playing nothing else recently and I've only been driving the Porsche. I seem to recall you being plenty quick on Forza 4 back in the day so I'm sure you can get there, moving the brake balance forward on the aggressive preset helped here. Also note you can close off the brake ducts in the hotlap mode as car damage is turned off, this is worth quite a bit in straight line speed.

Kunos have reset the times on this challenge as they made some changes to the track grip. It's a little slower now and my best time on the leaderboard is now a 2:01:8xx

Rare White Ape
February 26th, 2020, 06:42 PM
Oof. My shifter arrived today.

https://i.imgur.com/kKbgEQJ.jpg

It is the tits.

https://i.imgur.com/kd5KHV6.jpg

I've attached it to this for now, as the standard shifter mount location on my seat is arse. I'll buy something with a little more bracing next time I'm out. The little orange washers are made of fibre, sorta like engine gasket material. I though't they'd prevent me scratching the duco on the shifter body :)

https://i.imgur.com/T5myBu9.jpg

Here it is fitted up to begin. Might attach a cup holder here I dunno.

https://i.imgur.com/CyOxNY4.jpg

I duly fired up Content Manager and loaded LA Canyons, along with the utterly brilliant Singer Porsche 911 4.0, which I downloaded just for this occasion (both of which can be found on Race Department).

It is absolutely sublime, cruising around. THIS is what sim racing is all about.

https://i.imgur.com/VVz4oYi.jpg

In-place, adjusted for height, easy reach. Fanatec wheel, load cell pedals, H-pattern shifter, perfect driving position.

https://i.imgur.com/rviPk8Z.jpg

I might say I got a little bit emotional as I was punting that Porsche, blipping on the downshift. At one point, the Porsche's tail end got characteristically happy, so I dropped it down a gear and added revs. A dab of oppo and I was away.

I also tried the McLaren F1 GTR at Spa. Oh my word. Say no more.

I might try and record a bit of video of me driving around like a mad bastard. What do you guys reckon?

dodint
February 26th, 2020, 07:33 PM
I wanna touch it.

Rare White Ape
February 26th, 2020, 09:07 PM
Careful, it’s girthy.

Rare White Ape
February 27th, 2020, 10:51 PM
Here we go, much much betterer.

I went to the hardware store and bought some better brackets. These are lighter than the other ones, but they're braced to hold shelving. It still jolts due to the forces, especially when being used as a sequential, but it doesn't wobble around any more.

https://i.imgur.com/SWdOuSV.jpg

I also added a little extra bit of hardware in order to locate the spare knob when not in use, stop it rolling away... :)

https://i.imgur.com/2zC8Bym.jpg

Freude am Fahren
February 28th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Is that K'nex? :D

I'm going to totally try that with the relocation. I'm constantly hitting my knuckles on the wheel shelf.

CudaMan
February 28th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Triangulation ftw!

Kchrpm
March 11th, 2020, 06:54 AM
Assetto Corsa Competizione coming to XBox One and PS4 in June.

https://youtu.be/ivxljaYM5qo

Blerpa
March 11th, 2020, 11:50 AM
Right about Assetto Corsa Competizione:
I know some people running it and I was curious about joining in.
I trial'd the game... using my Xbox One Wireless joypad: I put novice difficulty (everything on, automatic gearing, NO traction control) and I was actually able to have fun.
I lapped consistently at 1:44 for about 6 laps at Misano on a Mclaren 720S GT3 (people I know that use a wheel do lap around 1:36-1:38).

So, in case I manage... what would be the wheel to buy?
Logitech G29? Or the Thrustmaster TS300 RS? Are G27 or TS150 any worthy?
I'm out of the loop of sim racing since quite some years, and my old Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP is on the other side of the nation (and coronavirus quarantene doesn't help even thinking about getting it sent to me).

dodint
March 11th, 2020, 12:20 PM
I have a G27 which I like, but people in the sim community really look down on it. Makes sense since I bought it in 2010 or so. If I replace the G27 it will be for a direct drive wheel.

CudaMan
March 11th, 2020, 01:08 PM
The G27/29 is a reasonable, basic wheel that gets the job done and is reasonably good quality considering it's mostly plastic (ie, they aren't known to have a lot of problems). I actually like my G27 pedals better than the Thrustmaster pedals that come with the T-GT or T300RS. G27/29 has less torque and a little bit of gear lash you can feel. It doesn't really detract from racing IMO unless/until you get a more expensive wheel that feels that little bit smoother and is maybe stronger as well. But as an entry level wheel, it's hard not to recommend the Logitech. The T300RS wheel does have better feel (the motor/drive system) but like I said the pedals are not quite as good. The Logitech comes with a shifter if that's important to you. IIRC, the G29 shifter removed the dual-use nature of the G27 shifter that could instantly switch between gated and sequential modes.

I do not know which ones are X-Box compatible.

Cam
March 11th, 2020, 01:33 PM
I had good luck with Logitech. I had a MOMO Racing that I used regularly for about ten years. Now I have a G27 that someone gave me. I have been using the heck out of it for a couple of years and it was used regularly for a few years before that.

Rare White Ape
March 11th, 2020, 01:58 PM
A G920/G9 would be the go if you’re dipping your toe in again. I ran my G29 for a few years and loved it.

On ACC, Kunos were able to tune the FFB on the cheap Logitech wheels to make them actually feel really good, somehow mostly eliminating the rattle they give you in rough situations, whereas games like Race Room and F1 2019 felt pretty shit with it.

You’ll find them second hand basically everywhere, because people buy them to start out then flip them when they go for something more expensive and start spending big on Fanatec products :D

Blerpa
March 11th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys... I see there are plenty of Logi's in Facebook Marketplace for sale, I'll look into those.
I suppose the Driving Force GT (the one with the red rounded knob) is too old and not that good, uh?

Rare White Ape
March 11th, 2020, 04:12 PM
They’re basically the same inside, maybe a bit more refined. But I seem to remember they went with a dual-gear system in the G29 to reduce chatter.

Tom Servo
March 11th, 2020, 08:48 PM
I do not know which ones are X-Box compatible.

AFAIK, none of them are compatible with the XBox. Which is a constant source of irritation in my household.

Rare White Ape
March 11th, 2020, 10:49 PM
The G29 is PS4/PC.
And the G920 is XBOX/PC.

The G25/27 are either PC only, or PS2/PS3/PC only, along with the DFGT and the old classic DFPro.

Tom Servo
March 12th, 2020, 07:40 AM
F1 2019 is on sale on Steam right now for $17.99, including the "anniversary" DLC (the 2010 McLaren and Ferrari).

Rare White Ape
March 12th, 2020, 03:59 PM
And a good Humble Bundle today for anyone who is into racing games of many varieties.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/just-drive?linkID=&mcID=102:5e6684202901890bdc69822c:ot:56e8496a73346 2ca8998ab6b:1&utm_source=Humble+Bundle+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020_03_12_justdrive_bundle&linkID=&utm_content=cta_button

It’s worth it just for AC, but PCars 2 is worth some attention.

Blerpa
March 12th, 2020, 05:06 PM
There's also Assetto Corsa Competizione on sale in Fanatical website.

CudaMan
March 12th, 2020, 11:11 PM
Dang, some good prices at those two sites. Humble looks complicated - monthly/annual subscription tiers, which usually means a hard time canceling. I just want a handful of racing sims... Fanatical looks more straightforward, although you do have to use Steam. I never have - I like to keep things simple. Worth it? Does Steam play nice with PCs and its games or does it annoyingly try to take over your life with updates and notifications and shit?

dodint
March 13th, 2020, 06:22 AM
I asked the same questions about Steam about a year ago. Turns out it's not bad at all. It does require updating like every other program but it hasn't overreached with the games as far as I can tell. Whatever notifications it makes can be turned off. In fact, it is super convenient for finding community generated content (cars/tracks) for rFactor and AC.

GreatScawt
March 13th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Dang, some good prices at those two sites. Humble looks complicated - monthly/annual subscription tiers, which usually means a hard time canceling. I just want a handful of racing sims... Fanatical looks more straightforward, although you do have to use Steam. I never have - I like to keep things simple. Worth it? Does Steam play nice with PCs and its games or does it annoyingly try to take over your life with updates and notifications and shit?

As far as I've ever experienced, the Humble Bundles (like this "Just Drive" one) are separate from their monthly game subscription service, which is called Humble Choice. If you buy this bundle it will give you (Steam) keys for every game straight up for a one time purchase.

Tom Servo
March 13th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Yeah, the humble bundles generally just end up emailing you a link with a code on the end of it that identifies your purchase, and on that page you can get the product activation codes for those games on whatever site you'll eventually get them from (usually Steam).

The Steam client is generally unobtrusive - at least for me it doesn't start on startup, only when I want it, updates really fast, and makes it easy to manage the apparently 429 games I've bought through it. It honestly just mostly stays out of the way, and if given an option of where to buy a game, I pretty much always choose Steam.

EDIT: They also have one of the better two-factor auth models I've seen if you install their mobile app, which appears to basically serve up two factor codes, let you buy stuff from their store if you want, and stream games from your PC to a mobile device. I like having strong two-factor for something like this, where I've got a lot of purchases tied up in it and it'd suck to have someone pwn the account. Conversely, and I wish if I could remember if it was Uplay or Epic Gamestore (I think it was Uplay), their two factor immediately emailed me backup codes that I could use to get into the account. So, right after I tried to beef up security, they sent keys to the kingdom over the least secure medium available.

Rare White Ape
March 13th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Bryan you have nothing to worry about with Steam.

CudaMan
March 13th, 2020, 07:28 PM
Awesome. Thank you guys. Some cheap sims will be coming my way soon! New PC parts have all arrived, and it's going to be a rainy weekend... :D

Rare White Ape
March 13th, 2020, 08:36 PM
Awesome mate :up:

I can't wait to see what you get up to.

stephenb
March 14th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Pictures and spec list stat!

Blerpa
March 14th, 2020, 11:48 AM
So, today I spent time testing some sims and some ways to capture videos.
I tried Assetto Corsa Competizione, F1 2019 (5 free day trial on Steam), Project Cars 2 and obviously Forza Horizon 4.

I used good old Fraps, then the capture from Xvid Gamecaster and, eventually, I got enlightned and tried out AMD internal video capture feature.
Fraps was outstandingly good at capturing a clean and crisp video of ACC in 1080p at 60fp, but didn't work with every game.
Gamecaster was so and so (disappointing compared to Fraps which is way older) creating worse looking videos even at the highest settings.
AMD internal capture system was easy to use (once I changed the bound buttons) and produced a great video of Forza with low compression and fuzziness - very good!
It could be the system to use to be able to stream Forza Horizon 4 possibly - FH4 does not output to any kind of overlay software and so far the only way to livestream that game was Mixer (by Microsoft! Ha!).

I uploaded three videos on my Youtube channel which goes by my name. Crappy lapping, people, mind.
On the games: Assetto Corsa Competizione surprises me with its cleanness and yet competent graphics, the physics are enjoyable even with a joypad and you can feel the car and can try to be consistant.
F1 2019 was a different kind of bag: graphics were very good in some places and way worse in other ones, still very decent, it had a nice official F1 vibe, but F1 racing is more fun to watch than to drive or race to me, honestly; it was ok to drive but trying manual shifting and TC low really brought me out of my depths, too much acceleration to be able to keep pace with it, meanwhile having to brake and activate and deactivate the DRS - I kept ERS activation in automatic or I'd be totally spazzed out by the sheer complexity of the job at hand.
Forza Horizon 4 is fine, it is not that much of a sim but I always liked how the cars communicate a lot to the driver, weight shift and changes of grip for example.
Also FH4 and F1 2019 have one great thing in common: variable force feedback in the joypad triggers. That helps wonder to fine tune your accelleration and braking, and it is a shame it is not implemented in ACC.

Project Cars 2? I installed it again. I didn't like it at all when I bought it some time ago. I did find it utterly difficult and maddening, even in low category cars.
And now? Honestly I think it is a glorified bag of crap.
Graphics are really nice, sounds are a mixed bag, but hell if there's no velocity feeling, the cars seem to handle on sponges, erratically either woobly or way too rigid, and the rattle of the TC on GT3 cars sounds like a stone got stuck inside a cheese grater.
It sucked back then, it totally sucks still now. Zero connection to the surface of track, zero sense of grip variance. Dreadful.
Heck, I may go back to Race 07 or rFactor if this is supposed to be good. Blah!
Uninstalled it again.

I've also raced Dirt Rally 2.0 in a league in this period: it seems like an arcade trying to be a sim. Actually, trying to con people in thinking it is a sim.
It is challenging... but not fun. Every League Event I do feels like a chore more than a fun gaming/simming time. Not as much fun as ACC, for example. And that feels like a proper sim.

CudaMan
March 14th, 2020, 11:45 PM
Good to hear your takes. :up: I was hoping there was a new rally sim that was realistic. Not that I'd know what it feels like exactly. I remember having fun with Richard Burns Rally (and mods) back in the day. Maybe iRacing's rallycross cars/tracks is as close as we can get right now.

F1 2019 can definitely overwhelm. You have to be your own strategist during the race - including what engine mode to be in and so on. In that respect it's probably harder than the real thing. Even with a wheel with lots of buttons (T-GT) it's a little cumbersome. It's not helped by the fact that to maximize your speed and ERS efficiency you have to change ERS settings rapidly throughout the lap, whereas in real life I've heard drivers only change ERS modes every so often. Having said all that, I've been enjoying career mode and the challenges of going fast while maximizing tire life and getting the most out of your strategy.

P.S. - DRS deactivates when you touch the brakes.

stephenb
March 15th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Dirt Rally 2.0 is excellent. I'd definitely recommend it if you want an up to date rally sim. Game of the year edition coming out at the end of the month. I'd pick this one up so you get all the content unless you can find the super deluxe edition, which I have, cheaper as that will also give you everything.

Blerpa
March 16th, 2020, 03:49 AM
I made the error of buying Assetto Corsa since it was in discount in Ultimate edition guise (so everything included).
It is like a whole different game than Competizione, and worse at that.
I always thought Competizione was a GT officially sanctioned spin off of the normal Assetto, but it seems it is more like an Assetto Corsa 2.0 or almost that.
Damn, I wasted 9,47 euro.

Rare White Ape
March 16th, 2020, 05:51 AM
Have you never played AC before?

That and ACC are completely different games. Different graphics engines and everything.

If you're underwhelmed with it, then you need to start adding mods. Start with Content Manager, Custom Shaders Patch, and Sol. They completely transform the game.

Once you have those installed hit up Race Department and begin adding cars and tracks. There is an endless amount. My cars folder is 51 GB and my tracks folder is 34 GB.

Blerpa
March 16th, 2020, 05:55 AM
RWA: nope, I didn't. I was out of the loop.
Are there mods for Competizione? I really don't like just about anything in AC. Not even menu.
(Where do you get mods anyway?)

Blerpa
March 16th, 2020, 06:01 AM
On an aside: I always try games on pirated/demo or gamepass form nowadays. So I see if they are worth my cash... it happened with Metro Exodus (Ugh), Forza Horizon 4 (Yeah), The Witcher 3 (Double Yeah).
Every single, and I mean *every* single time, I forget to at least download a pirated version to try it out... I manage to buy a game that turns out shit for me.

It has happened with Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Project Cars 2, Fallout 4, Bioshock Infinite at least.
Like Murphy's law. LOL

Yw-slayer
March 16th, 2020, 06:12 AM
So, let us know when you buy a game without trying it first. Should save some of us some money. Kthxbai

Rare White Ape
March 16th, 2020, 06:55 AM
RWA: nope, I didn't. I was out of the loop.
Are there mods for Competizione? I really don't like just about anything in AC. Not even menu.
(Where do you get mods anyway?)

No mods for ACC - think of it like F1 2019, where it's a licensed game with no ability to expand on it. AC is today's rFactor - a very active modding community.

I just happen to be browsing mods now on Race Department. You might need to sign up for an account:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/assetto-corsa.1/

There are also heaps of other websites that host them, as well as Facebook groups dedicated to sharing mods.

It's pretty easy, most mods have a readme file to tell you what to do. Just drag and drop the mod into the correct folder.

If you use Content Manager (it's a full UI replacement for the game) you can drag the mod into the window and it does it for you.

https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html

Freude am Fahren
March 16th, 2020, 10:17 AM
Don't forget, AC is almost 6 years old now.

Rare White Ape
March 18th, 2020, 02:28 AM
Here is the Not The Aus GP edited livestream according to Lando Norris. It's actually quite entertaining to watch :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0oSqJsh0DA

You'll find other stream edits by Jimmy Broadbent, Tiametmarduk, Super GT, aarava, Veloce Esports, etc all over YouTube just by searching 'not the aus gp'.

Freude am Fahren
March 18th, 2020, 08:52 PM
I was watching Nicky Thiim's live stream of him and about 60 other real racers (and Jimmer) at Daytona in 911 RSRs. It was awesome, haha. Actually really great racing too.

Some names I remember...

Thiim, Verstappen, Lando, Juncadella, de Costa, Spangler, and many others.

Rare White Ape
March 18th, 2020, 10:13 PM
I watched Broadbent’s video of the same but he was stuck at the back and got punted off…

Pro racing drivers :lol:

CudaMan
March 19th, 2020, 01:16 AM
I haven't seen the video but lots of pro racers don't take those races too seriously. :) It would be really fun to see that, though, especially now as there are no real life racing events going on.

Ok so by request, now that the new PC is up and running, here she is. :)

https://pbase.com/bryanh/image/170530626/original.jpg (https://pbase.com/bryanh/pcbuild2020)
https://pbase.com/bryanh/pcbuild2020

Ryzen5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - seemed like a solid go-to budget mobo for the 3600.
16GB RAM at 3200MHz
GTX 2070 Super
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe boot/game drive
Seagate 2TB storage drive
CoolerMaster MWE Gold 650W PSU
The ubiquitous Fractal Meshify case. More than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted to mount the PSU right side up in a case with a mesh front.

I hadn't built a computer in 10 years so I had a lot of new tech to catch up on!

Being a budget-oriented build, I had planned to go with a 5700XT. I'm glad I signed up for iRacing a few days early and looked at the forums, because it apparently runs better (stability and FPS) on GeForce cards. I also checked the ACC forums, and the disparity was even greater in favor of nVidia. So I went that route and cut budget from the CPU instead (the original plan was an i5-9600KF), knowing it's likely the next gen Ryzen processors are still going to use the AM4 socket.

The case came with one 120mm intake fan and one 120mm exhaust fan. I moved the intake fan to the top as a second exhaust fan and installed two 140mm fans in the front. The idea was to create a small amount of positive pressure. What I didn't factor in was the front 140mm fans are PWM and the rear 120mm fans are not. So who knows what's actually happening most of the time. :) At idle the air coming out of the case isn't the least bit warm, nor was it so after 10 minutes of iRacing.

If anyone was curious, ACC with the keyboard is a really choppy experience but still easier to stay on track with than iRacing with a mouse. :lol: I'll get a wheel set up soon. I have an ambitious idea that may have to wait a bit, so I might just chuck the dusty G27 on the desk for now.

With the auto-configured iRacing graphics I averaged about 250fps in a test session. We'll see how this scales in multiplayer on the Nordschleife or something! ACC wasn't as pretty as iRacing, but I have yet to optimize either sim.

I didn't know the motherboard had LEDs, erm, RGB the kids call it. :p I knew the CPU cooler did but I bought it is because it was $20 shipped, right when I was buying all the other stuff. Not bad for an improvement over the included cooler. The red lighting isn't my favorite but it doesn't bug me either. Most of the time I suspect the glass side of the case will be facing away from me and all I'll see is the subtle glow of lighting through the mesh.

I'm getting some kind of interference between audio and graphical movement, manifesting as buzzing through the speakers when I scroll on a web site or when a game is running. I'll be changing some things to investigate this since it's pretty dumb. :)

Edit - purchased ACC and AC Ultimate on that Fanatical web site for $35. A fine deal, which iirc is still good for a few more days.

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2020, 03:59 AM
Nice!

Similar spec to me, or a little bit higher. Here's what ACC looks like on my setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Xe1Sd6kGY

You'll be able to race at 1440p no worries, or if frame rate is your thing 120fps at 1080p is doable. ACC is very demanding.

If you have no luck tracing your sound interference, it's possible that it could be coil whine on the GPU hardware, which is unavoidable. I get it on a very bright screen (think of a snowy scene in a game) when pumping graphics. Best to turn the sound up and place your tower away from you behind your screen where you can't hear it as much!

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2020, 07:26 AM
YEET

https://twitter.com/raceroom/status/1240610823975907328?s=21

In these difficult times of quarantine and lockdowns, it's very important that we take care of each other.

Therefore we decided to give everyone FREE access to all cars & tracks in #RaceRoom for the next few days!

Stay home, take care of your loved ones & enjoy some #simracing

stephenb
March 19th, 2020, 04:01 PM
Very nice Bryan. I'd definitely recommend investing some time in to ACC. Official competition servers are where its at for some competitive multiplayer. Plenty of aliens around to provide you with a challenge.

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2020, 01:30 PM
SRO eSports charity race:
https://www.sro-motorsports.com/news/24/-sro-e-sports-gt-series-kunos-simulazioni-and-ak-informatica-to-stage-two-hour-assetto-corsa-competizione-race-at-monza-

Formula 1 virtual GP series:
https://corp.formula1.com/formula-1-launches-virtual-grand-prix-series-to-replace-postponed-races/

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2020, 06:20 PM
Look at this for a freaking lineup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2wuuH9c-7I

CudaMan
March 26th, 2020, 10:17 PM
SRO eSports charity race:
https://www.sro-motorsports.com/news/24/-sro-e-sports-gt-series-kunos-simulazioni-and-ak-informatica-to-stage-two-hour-assetto-corsa-competizione-race-at-monza-

Somehow they let me in so I'll be waking up at 03:30ish Sunday to try to make it into the main race. They had so much interest they're having 2 qualifying races and the top 20 (I think) from each race go to the final. So far ACC has yet to reveal its physics secrets, I feel like I'm doing great laps with good setups and the pace isn't there. I'll just aim to enjoy the race and get a decent finish. :) The guys who qualified in to the event in the hotlap competition were doing low to mid 1:46s and I haven't even done a 1:47 yet.

Rare White Ape
March 26th, 2020, 11:29 PM
Awesome man, good luck!

I’ll try find it on YouTube.

Are you driving a GT-R?

CudaMan
March 26th, 2020, 11:57 PM
Yep! The Merc seems to be fastest here. Then Ferrari and Lamborghini. Expect to see those cars at the top based on what I've seen so far.

Rare White Ape
March 27th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Here’s the entry list (https://www.gt-world-challenge-europe.com/images/News_2020/2903%20SRO%20Charity%20Challenge%20-%20Closed%20Final%20entry%20list%20%2B%20hotllaper .pdf). I recognise a few names. David Perel is in there. Alex Buncome. Dani Juncadella. Most of them are real drivers. Cody Latkovski is Australia’s top GT Sport driver.

No pressure :p

Cam
March 27th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Zany! :cool: Best of luck, Bryan! :D:up:

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2020, 04:40 AM
Bryan, how has your practice been going?

Looks like this is the YouTube channel where it will be broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/user/gt1world/videos

I thought it was on now, but I am a day ahead...

CudaMan
March 28th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Yep. Apparently they're doing daylight savings time in Europe tonight, so even I'm not 100% sure when it starts for me. :)

The GT-R isn't one of the competitive cars at this track in ACC, so yeah, not much pressure, I just want to get in the top 20 in my prelim race to make the main race. :)

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2020, 09:23 PM
The time in Paris (CET) right now is 07:23

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2020, 09:31 PM
And here is the livestream they have scheduled. For some reason it doesn’t come up on their YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/IG-A9A1RNPs

FaultyMario
March 28th, 2020, 09:35 PM
5:30 for me. It doesn't say if it's the race or qualifying. will try and wake up though.

Go Bryan!

Rare White Ape
March 29th, 2020, 05:29 AM
Bryan is on now.

Rare White Ape
March 29th, 2020, 06:49 AM
He’s qualified for the final! Finished p19 after a fairly uneventful race. But the standard of driving is incredibly high, so to even keep up is an achievement.

As I’d kind of expected the sim drivers are faster than the pro drivers, but they’re doing a lot of needless and risky battling for the top spots in a qualifier.

There’s a qualifier before the final race. But since it’s 00:48 here on Monday morning, I’m out! I’ll watch the rest tomorrow.

Good luck Bryan!

Cam
March 29th, 2020, 08:40 AM
Nicely done, Bryan. Looks like he finished 19th overall, the only Nissan in the race. I did not see much of him, as they focused on the leaders, mostly. That was a pretty professional broadcast.

FaultyMario
March 29th, 2020, 10:24 AM
I thought he had saved some fuel for a late attack, but he fell short.

Was clearly not giving everything, perhaps new to ACC?

stephenb
March 29th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Great job Bryan 👍 P19 finish in the main race was impressive given how little time you must have spent in ACC up to now. Saw a bit of you on the main stream when you were just behind the David Perel fight for P20.

stephenb
March 29th, 2020, 01:25 PM
https://youtu.be/0rGH7-CoCmY

Start at 2:36:20

FaultyMario
March 29th, 2020, 01:47 PM
The GT-R isn't one of the competitive cars at this track in ACC, so yeah, not much pressure, I just want to get in the top 20 in my prelim race to make the main race. :)

Come on dude! Talk about punching above an insane weight.

CudaMan
March 29th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys! That was intense and super fun. Really glad the event came off well and the stream was quality.

Somehow they let me in so I'll be waking up at 03:30ish Sunday to try to make it into the main race.
Make that 1:30am drivers briefing, 2:30 (I think) qualifying, a short nap, race 1 at, shoot, 6:00? Second qualifying at 7:45 and final race at 8am. It's such a blur. My eyes couldn't figure out where to look for a couple laps in the first race. :lol:

He’s qualified for the final! Finished p19 after a fairly uneventful race. But the standard of driving is incredibly high, so to even keep up is an achievement.
!
Uneventful!? :lol: I was holding on for dear life for a top 20 in the prelim race after a spun out Merc accelerated into me facing the wrong way and damaged my front end. My pace was good enough up to that point, after which I had less grip and was down on speed at the end of the straights. It was a pressure cooker watching the lap times of cars around me and deciding which battles to pick and which might hurt my chances more.

I thought he had saved some fuel for a late attack, but he fell short.

Was clearly not giving everything, perhaps new to ACC?
Heh, I was driving my butt off. :) I think the only car that had to fuel save was the Merc. From what I understand the GT-R is about .5 to .7 off the top cars at Monza in ACC. Dicing with other cars, it has no apparent advantages. In RL we sometimes had a straight line accel advantage (well after a slow speed corner exit since traction is limited in the GT3 GT-R), and the car made good downforce in the high speed corners. It also made a decent rain car since it was so soft and had a higher cg. Anyway, I did the best I could to bring the GT-R into the mix, came up short but had fun doing it. :) It's too bad I was the only one. Qualifying for the final was fraught with traffic and a weird brake issue, so I didn't get a great lap and I started at the back. Given that I will take a top 20! ACC is really spectacular in a lot of ways.

Rare White Ape
March 29th, 2020, 11:47 PM
Congrats mate, good result!

I completely missed the contact you had as it wasn't on the broadcast.

I'm going to jump into the game sometime this week and see if I can match your laptimes....

(as if!)

Rare White Ape
March 29th, 2020, 11:52 PM
And now V8 Supercars are going full-tilt with an e-series.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/03/30/supercars-confirms-global-broadcast-details-for-all-stars-eseries/

Rare White Ape
March 30th, 2020, 03:07 AM
I'm going to jump into the game sometime this week and see if I can match your laptimes....

(as if!)

Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve already had a go. I’ve proven that I’m slow.

I did 20 laps in the GT-R and did a 1:50.8. Probably not in the same circuit conditions as the charity race. You need patience for this car. It’s a big lumbering boy.

To get there I chose the aggressive preset, blanked off the brake ducts, took fuel out of it, and fiddled with tyre pressures.

I wanted to do a back-to-back comparison with another car so I picked the Ferrari 458. Same setup procedure except tyres. Within 5 laps I had a 1:50.1. The car is very light in the front, plus I was overheating the brakes into turn 1, so I could probably go quicker.

stephenb
March 30th, 2020, 06:02 AM
In the Porsche a good qualifying lap for me is high 1:48's. Race pace is high 1:49's if in the draft and not holding each other up.

Here's an old hot lap video from Unleashed Drivers:

https://youtu.be/8iQT_lB_vK0

CudaMan
March 30th, 2020, 10:16 AM
47.8 was my best qualy lap time. Pole was a 46.5 or so. That video doesn't show weather or track conditions, which are kind of important. It didn't look like the most optimized lap. You mentioned a recent track grip change a couple pages back - was that global or just Bathurst?

You need patience for this car. It’s a big lumbering boy.
I think that was one of its bigger disadvantages, most evident in Ascari - slower change of direction. I didn't try anything crazy stiff but I tried a few different setup directions and didn't find very much gain in lap time, only feel and consistency. I made the car better over the kerbs to keep from dying at Ascari (and having a bad run out of Lesmo 2 if I clipped the inside curb) but I didn't have to go real soft to do so.

I saw on Perel's stream when he was behind me going into Ascari he made up huge time on me in the first left, just sent it in there and his Ferrari changed direction to the right instantly with no understeer. Racy! :) If I sent it like that I'd be "behind" in the next 2/3rds of Ascari and have a poor exit down to Parabolica.

Weather for the race was 25C ambient, 32C track, with a 7kph wind in an ESE direction. My best race lap in the final where I had minimal damage was a 49.1. I'll email my setup to myself so I can attach it here.

stephenb
March 30th, 2020, 10:48 AM
^ that track grip adjustment was just Bathurst. The UD lap was most likely set in hotlap mode so your 47.8 is very strong.

Blerpa
March 30th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Going to have another evening of races in F1 2019. One day I'll feel enough confident to use manual gears.
Are there any disadvantages in playing F1 2019 with DirectX 12 compared to 11? (i5 4670k, 16GB DDR3 2133, RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, game installed on SSD, 27" Full HD 60hz monitor).

CudaMan
March 30th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Here's my Monza race set, good for 34 laps of fuel (and maybe 35, I forgot to check how much I had at the end). For qualy I added a little bit of tyre pressure, took out a click of rear toe, and removed fuel obviously. First flying lap, tires still weren't *quite* there yet so I ran enough fuel to do two more (3 flying laps total).

Rare White Ape
March 30th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Thank you for sharing! I’ll have a look and see how slow I am on your setup…

I think the key is patience for me. For instance I made a heap of time on the first Lesmo by just waiting half a second longer before applying throttle. Slower is faster.

Cam
March 30th, 2020, 12:36 PM
It’s laughable the number of trolls in the chat that called iRacing physics a “joke.” :lol:

Rare White Ape
March 30th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Going to have another evening of races in F1 2019. One day I'll feel enough confident to use manual gears.
Are there any disadvantages in playing F1 2019 with DirectX 12 compared to 11? (i5 4670k, 16GB DDR3 2133, RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB, game installed on SSD, 27" Full HD 60hz monitor).

Gears: don’t rev the car right out. It’s actually faster in a straight line if you shift just as the blue lights come on. And you’ll be changing gear a lot in this game!

DirectX 12: no disadvantage as far as I can see on my RTX 2070. The big benefit is HDR for fancy monitor users. The only way to know for sure is to do a frame rate comparison on your system.

stephenb
March 30th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Just tried as best I could to replicate Bryan's race conditions - 24C air/31C track - fast - 8/9kmh headwind down the main straight.

Using the aggressive pre-set as a baseline with minor adjustments to tyre pressures and brake ducts the best I could run in a qualy simulation was a 1:50:007 That makes me 2% slower. Given the amount of time I've spent in this game (278 hours and counting) it's fair to say Bryan has lost none of his speed :angry: :assclown:

Edit: Just tried the Porsche 991.II under similar conditions and did a 1:49:42x

dodint
April 2nd, 2020, 06:21 AM
A little inside, but, ouch: :lol: :lol:

https://youtu.be/q2Cqi_WWI8g

CudaMan
April 2nd, 2020, 10:21 AM
No one left unoffended. :lol:

Rare White Ape
April 4th, 2020, 01:21 AM
I bought Automobilista 2. It’s fucken great.

AMS1 was great, but it was let down by an ancient game engine and a lack of relevance.

AMS2 is almost a facsimile of AMS1; same cars, same circuits. But at least it has a shiny new game engine and useable menus. It runs effortlessly at 4K near max settings on my machine, so it is very hardware-friendly, and looks beautiful. ACC’s Unreal Engine 4 can go jump in a pond.

The physics are engaging and totally convincing. I drove for about two hours in various cars, spending the longest time in the Super V8 (knock-off Aussie V8 Supercar) at Montreal. Fantastic! I did not feel that I needed to twiddle with the FFB settings at all. I turned off TC and ABS and went ham with the throttle, each slip of a tyre on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve’s deep braking zones and long corner exits being clearly communicated through the wheel. The Formula V12 has a steep learning curve, as it should. But every failure is never put down to the game: you KNOW you were the one making the mistake, and to get better or continually flounder.

It’s the same game in a new engine with a very high standard of physics. There can only be improvements. I hope the relevancy thing is solved this time around.

Rare White Ape
April 6th, 2020, 12:41 AM
Niels Heusinkveld. Doyen of the high end sim racing pedal manufacturing company.

https://youtu.be/aCEO9U2p-S8

Blerpa
April 6th, 2020, 06:41 AM
Can you believe I truly recognized the sound right away???

Tom Servo
April 6th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Just started out messing with F1 2019 and wondering if there's some known tweak I need to make to the FFB settings. I'm still running an old G27 and often when going down a straight with nothing notable going on, the wheel is banging side to side and sounds like a jackhammer.

Rare White Ape
April 6th, 2020, 07:10 PM
The tweak is to get a new wheel, unfortunately. I had the same with my G29.

When I get home I’ll see if I can still dig up the settings I used, if you want.

Rare White Ape
April 7th, 2020, 01:09 AM
Supercars boys doin a practice race

https://www.facebook.com/71830524505/posts/10157376713329506/?vh=e&d=n

stephenb
April 9th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Because....why not 6000+ HP :lol::lol::lol:

https://youtu.be/1RFsn2g-bNM

Rare White Ape
April 9th, 2020, 08:15 PM
Attn Blerpa or anyone into Assetto Corsa,

Here is a good list of mods if you want to add to the game, including some reasonably naughty conversions of Forza 7 content. The Bathurst and Le Mans tracks are a must-have. I'm downloading Maple Valley as I type :D

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ac-pc-mod-discussion-do-not-ask-for-paid-mods-do-not-post-paid-mods.307899/page-865#post-13033635

stephenb
April 12th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Bryan in action again and live right now. Qually going on at time of posting.

https://youtu.be/4ba07_FERu0

FaultyMario
April 12th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Pole by half a tenth at the flag!

2ndMoparMan
April 12th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Leading at time of post and seeming to pull away. Get em, ya alien!

Tom Servo
April 12th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Yeah, he's killing it right now, was fun hearing them telling people that if you want to pick a favorite for the season, he's a good choice.

Cam
April 12th, 2020, 12:47 PM
Great win, Cuda! Nicely done.

FaultyMario
April 12th, 2020, 12:50 PM
I enjoyed the post race interview. His media training does show.

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Good work Bryan :up:

dodint
April 12th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Last lap pucker. :lol:

2ndMoparMan
April 12th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Yeah no kidding. He did well to avoid it.

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2020, 03:29 AM
Mad Max dropped in on the Supercars boys for tonight's All Stars Eseries races, and actually did really well... which is not really surprising given his background in real life and iRacing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVjigp1WAAA9tgT?format=jpg&name=large