PDA

View Full Version : Warframe in 2017

novicius
November 17th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Warframe: Ninjas play free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuJitrbTFY

The game is much improved from its initial beginnings -- and playing it on the X1X in dynamic 4K (not true/native 4K) it looks razor-sharp and moves smoothly with no discernable slowdown so far (tho' I am admittedly still in the early levels). :up: :up:

Free-to-Play. You spend money to buy materials to build your gear (which you can also grind for) -- but this game is all about The Grind. You will end up replaying the same missions AND those missions are largely simple and involve killing wave after wave of baddies in variations. Combat is king, hell MOVEMENT IS KING.

3rd-person PvE adventure play. Mission-based with only one open world section. Maps are randomly generated from a set list of parts so there is at least some replay variety. Strikes & Horde modes, no Destiny-like Raiding. PvP is largely secondary.

Warframe's artwork is incredible. Absolutely looks otherworldly & celestial.

I didn't give this game a second look when it was first release but now? This game is p o l i s h e d -- you might not like the action but the visuals are sumptuous. I'm looking forward to diving deep.

balki
November 17th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Looks good, but...
It's this online only?

novicius
November 17th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Yep online only.

Warframe: Plains of Eidolon review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHio59BW54M

21Kid
November 17th, 2017, 08:43 AM
34 minutes!!!!!
Is there a TLDR version?

I liked it a year+ ago. I should jump back into it. Especially with the new stuff. Let me know if you're online. :)

The melee system is nice when the bad guys get close. Much better than any other FPS.

Cam
November 17th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I briefly tried this a while ago. It did not interest me at the time. I downloaded it again to give it a second chance but have not booted it up yet.

balki
November 17th, 2017, 03:54 PM
...I downloaded it again ...
again? If you had it before why would you need to download it again? What did you do to it the first time around?

novicius
November 19th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Kid, I tried to summarize the vid in my description.

One of the main grinds is for Platinum. This is what you can use to buy different armies, etc. I googled for a write-up on farming Platinum and found this (https://forums.warframe.com/topic/755472-farming-platinum-guide/).

It's advanced but will be good info later.

::

In other news, I used to think playing a Hunter was too fast and frantic! This shit gets you movin' twice as fast! :lol:

novicius
November 20th, 2017, 05:08 AM
55 hours in and I'm only just leaving the intro story missions. Unlocked my 2nd planet as well as have a 2nd Warframe and am "researching" a 3rd.

You can get a feel from playing with the action for a few minutes (maybe) but that's not playing the game. Much like Destiny, it's tough to quantify the game with just a few minutes gameplay. "The Game" doesn't start for D1/D2 until you're Level 20 and in Warframe it's more like the game doesn't start until you've collected enough Mods to start working with, Mastery Rank 1, and have collected enough materials to start crafting (hell, and unlocked both the Foundry and the Mods workshop) at around 30-40 hours in. :lol:

The melee action is very much like a fighting game: twitch-fast and button-mash-y. Can be a little tough to time your kill-shots with the proper number of button taps (if you want to be cool about it). Otherwise your character will sit there swinging through the air for a second or two like a crazed axe-murderer after you've killed a baddie. :lol: Most hatchet-wielding baddies are pretty dull to try and 'slash-block-riposte', but I did come across one AI duel so far that was engaging so the capacity is there. Just don't know how frequent it is.

But the 3rd-person gunplay is reminiscent of Mass Effect in some ways: over the shoulder zoom but somehow with a strange bullet-time effect when jumping/dodging + aiming. I don't know how it works in multiplayer -- can't be slowing down the action for you while someone else is fighting normally. Maybe it's just happening in my head with the focused zoom? Seems slower tho'.

Movement is King: you can kill whatever you want but if you are playing with others via Matchmaking, you will see other players just absolutely launching themselves down corridors past your slow-running ass. :lol:

So yeah, I'm barely into the game but I'm diggin' it so far. A lot of killer visuals and interesting concepts in the scenery, locales, and overall art design. :up: :up:

novicius
November 20th, 2017, 06:24 AM
34 minutes!!!!! Is there a TLDR version?

The TLDR version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VuYCLelIO8

:lol:

21Kid
November 20th, 2017, 11:06 AM
:lol: too true. I'm only at day 22... but still.

Now I see why you like it. Soooo many toon outfits. :lol: I like you how you only need one toon and can change outfits/moves though. Instead of having to play the story 3 (what are you on 9?) times.

I'd be willing to buy some space bucks in a game like this. The devs deserve to get paid for all this hard work. ;)

They should have named it Destiny Warriors.

Destiny + Dynasty Warriors. ;)

novicius
November 20th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Yep I had to grind through the story a *lot* in D2 just to get some options. They just don't have nearly enough armor sets for me.

I started my Warframe career with Excalibur, a general purpose combat frame. But people are saying that you can take the Mag warframe all the way to the endgame stuff if you want to invest in only one suit.

Also, don't spend your Platinum on anything other than more Warframe slots. By the time you are leveled up enough to know what to do with the various armors, weapons & mods, you should have things to sell for Plat or be high enough Mastery Level to farm dangerous areas for Plat.

Or if you get a 50% or 75% off discount code as part of your free Daily Loot Crate, that's the only time to actually buy Platinum. :up:

Cam
November 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Played it for a bit. I dunno... it seems confusing and difficult to play right now. :erm: I am not convinced.

novicius
November 20th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Cam! You who flew to Sagittarius A*?! :D

I wish I had known you were on tonight, Kid & I have been knocking out missions...

Cam
November 21st, 2017, 04:03 AM
I was on early for only an hour. I went to bed early too. I was sleepy.

21Kid
November 21st, 2017, 05:43 AM
It is quite confusing for a while. That's the tough part about the game, it takes quite a while to get a grip on everything. The free Prime outfit helped me out a bit. I think I need to level up some more on the standard missions before going back out into the open world. It's dangerous out there.

novicius
November 21st, 2017, 06:46 AM
The free Prime outfit helped me out a bit.

For anyone who is as confused as I was: 1. go to https://twitch.amazon.com/prime and create a Twitch prime account with 7 day free trial 2. Go to https://www.warframe.com/twitch/link and link your twitch prime account after the 29th of June and bingo you have a free fully built Frost prime, Vistapa Syandana and Dragon mod pack, simple.
I had already created a Twitch account for D2 so I just linked it to Warframe and then my Amazon Prime account. Bingo. :up:

Peeps think that Frost Prime is a sick suit to solo the entire game with, too. Gotta unlock that Snowglobe power. :D

I think I need to level up some more on the standard missions before going back out into the open world. It's dangerous out there.
300+ hours later... :lol:

Cam, let's roll this evening. Don't delete it until you've played with either Kid or I. ;) #thatsfuckinteamwork

Cam
November 21st, 2017, 07:21 AM
I can't say if I will be online or not. These days, often I'm just exhausted after a day in the shop and an evening of editing video.

novicius
November 21st, 2017, 07:42 AM
Understandable! :up:

Well don't delete it until we've rolled together a few times. :)

Cam
November 22nd, 2017, 03:09 AM
I enjoyed playing with you guys, of course, but the story is nonsense. Menus are just too much. :erm:

Cam
November 22nd, 2017, 05:08 AM
This game makes no sense. The only reason I have not deleted it is because you guys are playing it.

novicius
November 22nd, 2017, 05:30 AM
That initial mission was a relatively recent addition meant to be more accessible for newbs apparently, it's not the main storyline.

I know how you feel -- I felt that Elite: Dangerous was far worse in terms of how it eased new players in and you mastered that game. I couldn't and still really haven't figured out how to do anything more than fly out of the first base and circle it. :lol: Plus, well, a ton of menus too.

I'm digging the hot group action! :shocker:

novicius
November 22nd, 2017, 05:31 AM
This game makes no sense. The only reason I have not deleted it is because you guys are playing it.
Nah, you tried it with us -- don't like it then absolutely delete it. :up: :up:

21Kid
November 22nd, 2017, 06:36 AM
Good thing it's free! :D

I felt the same way when I first started Cam. It took a long time to get used to the menus and everything. That's why I stopped playing it, because of how disjointed everything felt.
Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm having more fun. But, I wouldn't suggest that anyone spend time on it if they don't like the core gameplay mechanics.

Cam
November 22nd, 2017, 07:33 AM
I am still interested in playing it with you guys. :)

For example, the game is telling me that to unlock the next area, I need to do X, Y and Z. However, the game has not told me what X, Y and Z actually are or where I can do X, Y and Z. NOT INTUITIVE. :(

21Kid
November 22nd, 2017, 07:47 AM
Agreed.

Ironically, there's almost too much to do also. :lol: There are like 20missions on Earth. And 15-ish different planets/moons/areas to explore.

novicius
November 22nd, 2017, 10:12 AM
I am still interested in playing it with you guys. :)
Good! :D :up:

I was a little sad thinking that you would delete this game so quick but I would understand. #salute

Cam
November 22nd, 2017, 11:48 AM
"ZOMG, you only have 20 minutes to do the blabbity mission." I am not even close to having blabbity unlocked. :erm:

novicius
November 22nd, 2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah and even the Missions/Events you do qualify for can be tremendously difficult. I've been suckered into attempting a few -- they really require a team unless you're a much higher level, IMO.

21Kid
November 22nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Those timed events are only available on those specific sites. If you haven't progressed to that point on the map yet, you can't participate. I usually just ignore the notifications.

I did one of them with my settings on "public", and joined a squad... I didn't kill A, single, person. The rest of the randoms just blitzed through the whole thing and I was just picking up scraps. I got a Warframe blueprint though, so I'm not mad. ;)

It appears that you have to be invited to join a clan. There's a recruiting chat channel that you'd have to follow to see if there is a clan you'd like to try and join. :|

Cam
November 22nd, 2017, 01:18 PM
You can't make your own?

21Kid
November 22nd, 2017, 01:41 PM
You can... However, Carlo proposed joining an already established clan, so we can reap the rewards of a veteran clan.