PDA

View Full Version : Track day - at night!

Dicknose
February 8th, 2018, 08:11 PM
So I did a track day yesterday at Sydney Motorsport Park (aka Eastern Creek)
Nice track, built for MotoGP, it’s almost 4K of a fairly fast track. Big and fast and close to me!
So I had a twilight session, which was good. Been a while since I’ve been there, so a session to remember what I’m doing, a go with an instructor to help me (he said brake, I kept going, then braked, he said “your brakes are good!”)
But the last session was interesting, it was now dark. The previous group had maybe 10 cars out. I spoke to two who came in saying “hated it, could see where to go”.
So I headed out for my group, last session. Oh it’s just me!
Damn it’s dark, no lights on the track, just my headlights. And unlike IMOA, I didn’t buy the “lights look into corner” option. Anyway they had cone markers for turning and apex, so you could look thru a corner and hope some light hit the cone reflectors. Damn it really makes you look thru corners. Actually just peer in the right direction and hope you see something.
In the end I was 4 seconds a lap slower (1:52 v 1:48) in the dark. Pretty good for driving almost blind. I really enjoyed it, made me work hard and make sure I had confidence in what I was doing.
Only one other car came out that session. I saw them hold it at the pit exit while I came past. Two cars and a 4km track, you don’t need to release a guy just in front of me. About 4 laps later I did see that car a few corners in front of me. But they ended the session before I caught them. Short sessions, the last session and just two cars they probably wanted to pack up!
And loving the Boxster. It was a hot day (35C/95F) when I started, but roof down and looking cool.
Damn this car is good at the track. Not GT4 good, and I’m not IMOA good, but good enough that I haul in RS3 and a few trailered cars.
It brakes and turned so well, I just need to be reasonably smooth to look like a hero. It’s 9 parts car, 1 part me, but shhh... I feel like Senna! And look very cool doing it! Doesn’t look like serious track car, not compared to Porsche GT car, but not far off them for a “hairdresser’s car”

So other than our resident pro-driver, who else has had some fun track/autoX days lately?
Ok Bryan post up!

Loving it, glad I bought the Boxster, too me it’s the ultimate GT/street/track car. Not the best any any of those, but pretty damn awesome at everything, track, 6 hour cruise, back road run, stroll up the shops, head to the beach looking cool.
Oh and I noticed in the last few weeks several people videoing me as I’m driving. Not so bad when it’s the passenger, but had two where it was the driver! That’s cool, but not too close while you are holding a phone!
One of the passenger efforts I went past on a freeway and they dropped in behind, when I moved over they made an effort to come up beside me. I gave a wave to the lady videoing and the put the foot into it. It’s loud! Sure they got some great video of a loud red, fast Posche pulling away.
Ok while I rambling on, I should say I love it when probably once a week I come back to my car parked and find someone taking a photo. It is nice to have a “look at me” car. Always happy to say, do you want to sit in it and I’ll take your photo. <living-the-dream>

Cam
February 9th, 2018, 04:23 AM
:lol::up:

dodint
February 9th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Awesome post, very cool. I'd love to do a track day at night, but at Pocono's infield. I think the best I'll get is twilight and I'm not sure they'd even fire the lights up for us. It would give me that faux-Rolex24 feel, though.

The only time people film me on the highway is with the DeLorean. It's not fast enough to leave them behind, though, sadly.

I did several events at PittRace last year, both Track Night in America and their in-house HPDEs. They have six TNiA events this year, I'll probably make it to three or four of them in the E46. I should do an HPDE with a session with an instructor to refresh and see how the E46 differs from the Mustang in terms of brake points and vehicle dynamics. We'll see.

My goal for this year is to make it to another track for HPDE or TNiA, realistic venues:

Watkins Glen
Pocono
VIR
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Road Atlanta (prob not, only one date and too far away)
Lime Rock Park (same as Road Atlanta)

Just need to manage my money well and be smart. This year I also have more paid time off to work with. I think through the spring I'm going to start stock piling spare consumables like pads and rotors so I have them on hand when I need them instead of waiting till the current ones are gone. I also need to decide if I want slicks this year or not and probably order them soon.

I also really like making the track videos even if they're boring. I'm looking at a way to mount a camera to the rear side window so I can do multi-cam stuff. The driver view is great for me and I do study them, but as general entertainment I think the second camera will add a lot. That and tighter editing.

CudaMan
February 9th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Track day bro? :) I haven't done a track day in for-evvvver. Would like to but no car for it. I'm doing something wrong in life. :lol:

The newer Porsches seem like darn good cars in a lot of ways. They're doing some things right for sure. Glad you're enjoying the Boxster to the fullest!

Nate - VIR all day, erm, night. Just sayin'. :)

Godson
February 10th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Track day bro? :) I haven't done a track day in for-evvvver. Would like to but no car for it. I'm doing something wrong in life. :lol:

The newer Porsches seem like darn good cars in a lot of ways. They're doing some things right for sure. Glad you're enjoying the Boxster to the fullest!

Nate - VIR all day, erm, night. Just sayin'. :)

How do you not have a track car??!!?? If you come to the Midwest for a day, I can fix that.

CudaMan
February 10th, 2018, 07:12 PM
MR2T is too special. The 350Zs would need BBKs + ducting, oil cooler and diff cooler to be safe/durable for sessions longer than a few laps, and that adds a lot to the up front cost of going to the track.

Plus I didn't used to need one...

Kchrpm
February 11th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Plus I didn't used to need one...

Right in the feels.

Godson
February 11th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Yeah..... If you ever find yourself in need, I have a car that's available.

Crazed_Insanity
February 11th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Cool man! :up:

I think I'd still enjoy taking my 16 year old S2000 on the track..., but just got no extra money nor time though... horrible price one has to pay for starting a family yet not making that much money... :p

Hope I can get back into it later... and with a new car like yours!;)

Leon
February 11th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I've done grass autocross events (in paddocks) in the dark. We just cable tie glow-sticks to the cones. It's ridiculous levels of fun. Especially when some of the guys decide to run with no lights on, just to make it more interesting.

I've also done gravelsprints at night. Being at the top of third gear and not being able to see much of anything, but knowing you've got a second gear left hander coming up somewhere soon is a bit mentally challenging.

I run standard headlights, and one pair of cheap spotlights. A lot of the other guys are running a wall of LED lighting, so I'm definitely doing it wrong.

IMOA
February 12th, 2018, 10:02 AM
I need to come home and have some fun.

Dicknose
February 13th, 2018, 02:48 AM
I need to come home and have some fun.
Yes!

Plus you have the fancy “around corners” headlights.