PDA

View Full Version : Godson - 1993 Chevrolet Corvette Z07

Godson
February 10th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Ever since I could remember, I loved Corvettes. I mean LOVED them. I probably have more books about the Corvette than I did books for nursing school. I have always been interested in owning one, but because of my love of them, I was afraid I would be let down. It’s that whole “Never meet your idols” kinda thing. After months of searching various cars for a track toy, both casually and semi-seriously across the country. Having many different people look at many different C4 Corvettes, some of which were bought from under me, I finally bought one.

Here are the details:

Torch Red (All Corvettes are red)
Black leather interior
300hp, 340lb/ft torque LT1
6-Speed manual (ZF S6-40 black label)
Z07 Suspension (FX3, same as ZR-1) Only 841 were built in 1993
13" Front Disc brakes, 12" Rear disc (J55 build code, part of Z07 package and same as ZR-1)
Faster Steering rack (part of the Z07 package)
Power driver and Passenger Seats
Leather Sports Seats
Both Plexiglass and painted roof panels
Electronic Air Conditioning
Low Tire Pressure monitoring system
164k miles

29402936292829452950295129412942292929392943295229 30

Story:

Good friend of mine was in San Diego for work one evening about 2 weeks ago, and I was bored. I started looking around on Craigslist out of curiosity and this car popped up listed at $4,000, and had only been listed for 2 days. Guy said he was selling it because it won't pass smog. My buddy goes and looks at it knowing what my expectations are, and how committed I am. The guy who was selling it asked if this friend of mine was able to say yes or no on the sale. I said he absolutely had the purchasing power for me and I trust him entirely. After my buddy looks at it, he texts me to tell me I just bought an LT1 Corvette for 3750 USD. We hammer out the details, to pick up the vehicle. I fly out to San Diego on a Thursday after a SHITTY day at work, to meet up with my buddy who was BACK in SD for work again. It is about 1 am, so we head back to the hotel and crash. But first, we swung by the dealership where my Monster came from (they were closed…)

We meet up with the owner at 0730 and handle the paper work, more on this later. We look over the car and assess and address what my be trouble areas before we head for home. We have the car aligned just to be on the safe side with the tires being 300 treadwear and having 1800 miles ahead of us. Swing by the harbor in SD to snap a few photos, before hitting up the parts store nearby. We grab some vacuum line, gloves, zipties, and a few other odds and ends, wrench on the car for a little bit before heading out. We wanted to replace the serpintine belt, but the Autoparts store we stopped at didn’t have one. So we ordered one to be delivered in Phoenix about dinner time.

First stop was a little diner for lunch and fuel. We stopped at a little Mom and Pops place in Pine Valley called Majors Diner while we planned out our path. Pine Valley is about 45 minutes east of San Diego and in this short time we already figured out we didn’t have cruise. So ankles and feet were in order, we prepared ourselves mentally fr the haul. I don't know how old the fuel is in the car, so I wanted to dilute the stuff down and gradually burn through it over the course of a couple of tanks. Car had a half tank at the time. We load up after a picture and head towards Phoenix and the Serpentine belt. As we get further out into the desert, we drive through a sandstorm in some shithole area Russ told me to stop the car and take a deep breath. I passed on the offer because I knew what I was getting into if I did. During this trip we realized the inside rear view mirror has a loose cross-head screw. So while I was creeping through the sandstorm, my co-pilot tightened up the mirror. Hasn’t been an issue since.

We get to Phoenix without a single issue. Swap over the new serpentine belt, which oddly enough is ribbed on both sides. Grab food, top off fuel, adjust the headlights and head further east. For a stop in Gallup, NM. We stopped in Gallup because it was already getting later in the evening, and we had a longer haul for the second day of travel. So an earlier night in preparation for a longer day.

We wake up early to get a jumpstart on many hours of driving ahead of us. But first, we had to make a pitstop just under an hour outside of leaving. No the car didn’t break down. Nope, the car didn’t need fuel, and nor did we need a pee break. I needed to reminisce over a rock formation to the north of US40. Some of you remember when I bought my Ducati Monster in 2013 while I was on spring break. Well, the bike didn’t make the trip and I broke down about 40 miles east of Gallup, NM.

I snapped a photo of my stopped location back then while I awaited a tow.

And with my newest toy.

We sit around for 5 or so minutes as I talk about my experience with the previous trip. Load back up and began the longer journey home. We stop in Albuquerque for a snack and get going again.

THe rest of the trip goes off without a hitch until we reach Kansas. Where we are met by a rainstorm, and the annoying process of driving in Kansas rain. I35 seems like it is never painted so wet road driving is a complete pain in the ass. Road Visibility is shitty at best. I was driving from the reflection of the headlights. I was nervous during this time even having driven this road countless times.

I get back to KC a little stressed from the rain and lack of roadmarkings (thanks Kansas), and stoked about the fact I just bought one of my dream cars.

But……

This dream would soon turn into frustration and anger.

When I did the paperwork with the PO, he signed the wrong part of the title. For some odd reason, California has 3 separate areas you can sign for various reasons. I didn’t realize this until I went to get the vehicle title and registered. So now I am left with 2 choices, forge his signature, or mail the title back for him to sign.

I kick around both ideas for a while, I even went as far as practicing his signature before I contacted him because I was worried about him keeping the title for some dumb reason.

I contacted him on December 6th 2017 and he said he would gladly sign the title and ship it back. Cool beans. I go to the post office on December 8th and certify mail the title back to the PO. I also shipped an additional certified envelope addressed to me. I did this so all he had to do was open the addressed envelope, sign the HIGHLIGHTED area on the title, put it back in the certified envelope I shipped with the title, and I’d be out of his life. This however was too easy and simple for the guy.

I will say I never had ANY indication this guy was….whatever he is. I call him up after 2 weeks and have no response. I leave a message to see what’s the hold up, because I have the tracking information for the certified envelope. I figure he will probably call back in the next day or so, because that is how he was before I bought the car. No dice. I call him off and on, throughout the next 2 months with no response. I continue to leave him 12 voicemails to try to figure out what is going on. Nothing turns up.

After talking with a couple of people, Nate, some local buddies, I start creating a plan to chase out loose ends. After selling a vehicle, many states require submission of a sale of vehicle form which is attached to the bottom of the title. I was looking into filing this paperwork to see if he filed correctly before I planned out larger and more aggressive actions. Up to and including lawsuits for a 4k USD car. It’s pathetic really.

Now he comes the funny part. I received the title on the 8th of February. Literally 2 full months after the title arrived in San Diego. Whatereve. I have the title now, I’ll get the car re-inspected this week, licensed and titled. I have done some work on the car and did drive it around (illegally) as I waited for the title to arrive.

The reason why I didn’t post in here is due to the possible legal battle, or if I was going to go the route I really would have not wanted to go and part the car out.

Now onto the fun stuff. Fixing these areas...

Stay tuned.

drew
February 11th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Dude.... :up:

George
February 11th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Congratulations! :up:

Kchrpm
February 11th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Corvette :up:
40th Anniversary :up:
Manual :up:
Red :up:
Black C5 Z06 Wheels :up:
Serpentine belt ribbed for her pleasure :up:
Awesome friend :up:
Road trip with no breakdowns :up:
A bunch of pictures :up:
Legal ownership :up:

dodint
February 11th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Fantastic. Well done, mate. It loves the camera, too.

JoshInKC
February 11th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Glad the paperwork got sorted out. Having been on the same end of that stuff before, I'm sure that was two months of no-fun stress.

Random
February 11th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Corvette :up:
40th Anniversary :up:
Manual :up:
Red :up:
Black C5 Z06 Wheels :up:
Serpentine belt ribbed for her pleasure :up:
Awesome friend :up:
Road trip with no breakdowns :up:
A bunch of pictures :up:
Legal ownership :up:

Didn't stop in El Centro :down:

Phil_SS
February 11th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Very very cool. :up:

CudaMan
February 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Epic. Man look at all the cool options on that car. Good find. Many years of enjoyment!

Godson
February 11th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Didn't stop in El Centro :down:

That's what that shit hole was....

Godson
February 11th, 2018, 10:59 AM
So I'm looking at oil cooling options,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-3952?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-flex-a-lite&gclid=CjwKCAiA8P_TBRA9EiwAJrpHM3d--x51RDn_cDvJBr_zLhYPdB1W6WHYPuJVPsZVfjnEr13K6Z82eRo CSkIQAvD_BwE

This is one, but I'm thinking about pieci g it together. 110$ is going to be damned hard to beat.

novicius
February 11th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Finally! :D

You must love the car because you have never posted this many pics of any other ride you've had! :lol: :up:

Leon
February 11th, 2018, 05:22 PM
"ribbed on both sides"

For his and her's pleasure

GB
February 11th, 2018, 06:34 PM
That's a shit-ton of Corvette for $3750, even if it needs a little TLC (Tyler Loves Corvettes).

Just throwing this out there...

Barber Motorsports Park is about halfway between you and me.

http://justtrackit.net/calendar/barber-june-2018/

Nice time for a GTXTD (GTX Track Day).

dodint
February 11th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I would be in if I wasn't already in KY the following weekend.

GB
February 11th, 2018, 06:39 PM
I would be in if I wasn't already in KY the following weekend.
:(

Cam
February 11th, 2018, 08:01 PM
:cool::up:

Godson
February 12th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the kind words all. I put the dates in my calendar. We shall see how this shapes up!

GreatScawt
February 13th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Awesome story dude! Good stuff :up: Car is beautiful.

21Kid
February 13th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Sweet

tigeraid
February 14th, 2018, 06:40 AM
LT1 ftw.

Godson
February 14th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Title applied for. Car is now mine.

dodint
February 14th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Woooo!

stephenb
February 16th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Looks very tidy for a 25 year old car :up: As has already been established around these parts red cars are the fastest! How much of that 300bhp do you think has been lost over the years or was the rating out of the factory conservative and it still has all 300?

Godson
February 16th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I'm planning on doing a Dyno on it once the weather gets nicer.

Once that happens, I'll address the areas that I know need attention, like plugs, injectors, and even as far as replacing valve springs. With 25 years on them, and 167k miles, I'm betting my retirement they are a touch floaty towards the higher rpm.

CudaMan
February 16th, 2018, 08:21 PM
LT1 is all about the low end anyway. ;)

Mr Wonder
February 28th, 2018, 01:13 PM
That is an awesome car. Nice work dude!

Godson
March 7th, 2018, 02:04 PM
So a while ago I swapped out the broken FX3 shocks for some Z51 valved non-adjustable bilsteins. A little background on the factory shocks, hey are 3 way electronic adjustable; Tour, sport, Performance. These are adjustable by an electronically controlled actuator on the top of each shock which is adjusted by a central ecm developed solely to monitor and adjust the shocks. The brain gets a speed sense from the vehicle and the brain sends a signal to the actuator to adjust the amount of valving open or closed depending on the amount of speed and the selection of one of the 3 selectable settings.

The gear inside of the actuator is made of plastic, as is the gear on the top of each shock. Over time, these become brittle and break in which the system ceases to function and throws a "check Suspension" light. Many people disconnect the fuse or the brain which does the computing for the sake of not having to fix either. I am still waning back and forth on what I want to do with the selectable settings. Part of me wants it to work for touring purposes and because it is kinda cool. The other is, manual double adjustables and going the HARDCORE ROUTE.

Replacement shocks are 250/ea for stock valving, the actuators are 150ea. You can get the shocks rebuilt and revalved for an entry price of 160/ea. That's only if the valving is the problem. If other issues are found, the price goes up from there, rightfully so. I was able to get my non-adjustable for 340 shipped, and a strong used sale option later. These will work well for the time being though. When the system is turned off, it stays in whatever setting it was in last, mine was in the tour mode. Mine was in Tour mode, with no signs of being able to be switched into anything fun. I went this route to get some valving at the very least.

One of the things I did find fun, with a little bit of muscle, the fronts can be removed and replaced without even lifting the car. :)

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Part of me wants it to work for touring purposes and because it is kinda cool.

Ah, streetcaritis. You are afflicted; the struggle is real.

Godson
March 7th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Quick doc, what's the prognosis?

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Throw money at it till symptoms dissipate.

Godson
March 7th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Ok, I'll see where that lands me!

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Doh

That's a course of treatment, not a prognosis. Long day.

Prognosis: Negative.

CudaMan
March 8th, 2018, 09:05 AM
At first I was wondering what that big chassis brace was doing exactly.

Then I realized it was an epic work light. Nice.

Godson
March 8th, 2018, 09:42 AM
What? I don't like working in the dark.

CudaMan
March 8th, 2018, 06:00 PM
It's huuuuge! (twss)

Godson
March 8th, 2018, 06:55 PM
;)

"Hey girl, you wanna see my worklight? I'm told it's big."

Godson
March 11th, 2018, 10:51 AM
I was driving the car around a week or so ago. Daily'ing the car even, because the weather was nice.

Next thing I know, I have no speed on the dash, and a check engine light. I do a quick search and when the CEL comes on and no vehicle speed is displayed, the issue is the VSS. I call a local parts store and they can get me a new one for 45 in the morning. I know when I pull the VSS out, I'll lose some fluid, so I need to do a fluid swap anyways. Guess what, local parts store has the ZF recommended fluid in stock. Castrol TWS in a 10w60, which is the same as the M5 spec is. 2.2 quarts is spec, and after futzing with a slightly ground down drain plug, we get the old and nasty fluid out, and pump in new clean fluid.

Quick test drive, and the VSS is working, I have visual readout on my speedometer, and the transmission is SOOOOOO nice now. It's happy. I'm likely still going to need to replace the syncros at some point. But it shifts nicer now. That alone makes me happy to have spent 100$.

I don't have any photos, because I just wanted to get this car fixed.

Next up, fix the cruise control, and the CEL issue, which may require an ECM rebuild (250$)

Onward and upward.

dodint
March 11th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Nicely done!

Godson
March 13th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Looking for auto-x input.

275/285r18 tires

Looking at all options, literally.
Nexen, federal, maxxis, Dunlop, hankook, et el.

Bring me your advise and input. Currently thinking about just going the cheap route for the Federal 595 rs-rr. Because the are effing cheap.

Godson
March 13th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Also going to do dual duty on hpde and possibly time trials.

CudaMan
March 13th, 2018, 09:28 PM
On the same set of tires? Maybe the Hankook. Needs heat to work, but that's its asset on the track. Tires that work better at autox and heat up really quickly tend to get greasy after a while at the track.

Godson
March 14th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Ya. I'm looking to just get the ball rolling honestly. I'd rather not track/auto-x on the continentals that are on it because they are staggered. I'd like to get the other set of wheels on the ground.

Do the nexen like heat? What about the direzza DIII?

George
March 14th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Autocross is for girls.

Make it a gasser!

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speednik.com%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F 06%2Ffunf2075gas.jpg&f=1

*runs out of thread before angry mob can assemble*

:assclown:

dodint
March 14th, 2018, 03:13 PM
That course in the background is perfect, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get lost.

Godson
March 14th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Grassing gasser?

Lol

GB
March 15th, 2018, 04:53 PM
[insert clever but mean comment about Carlo's autocrossing here]

Godson
March 15th, 2018, 06:20 PM
So I think I have a way to make money on the trailer collision. Nothing illegal, I just have to do all the work. That, combined with me selling my Motorcycle Tracksuit (that was worn twice) and my Dianese Full Metal Pros, I have enough money to buy the poly bushings (vomit) and get the federals.

I'd prefer to get something that will do better overall, but these are going to be sacrificed while I am trying to learn the vehicle and what it likes. So rather than trashing a set of 1200$ tires, I'll start with something which is half the price

dodint
March 15th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Smart play. I'm thinking of buying mid-range brakes this time around instead of top shelf stuff. I can't imagine this summer that I'll be anywhere near the limit.

Godson
March 16th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Offset poly bushings for this thing are offered by only one company, and are 110$ for just the 4 lower bushings.

I can buy the entire poly set for the car for 220 from Rock Auto.

Delrin isn't super expensive, might just make my own.

Godson
March 19th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Ugh. I hate my brain.

Godson
March 22nd, 2018, 02:24 PM
Brake pads arrived at my house yesterday. I'm currently in Orlando, so I can't do much until next week.

Just signed up for my first TNiA. I'm excited and fucking worried at the same time. More on this later.

dodint
March 22nd, 2018, 07:00 PM
TNiA is chill, have fun.

And get a helmet, noob.

GB
March 22nd, 2018, 08:40 PM
I'm currently in Orlando.
Hello?

38 six- two 99- zero three 2 five Text first, I don't answer numbers I don't recognize.

Godson
March 23rd, 2018, 06:37 AM
I text ya and sent you a message on FB.

hit me up.

Godson
March 30th, 2018, 05:39 AM
After looking for quite some time, I had been looking for brake duct plates. Not having any luck and quickly coming to the though I would need to make my own, I found these.

http://www.c6performance.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=502623&cPath=432&gclid=CjwKCAjwwPfVBRBiEiwAdkM0HS3Djs8bkU1O6zSxB_15 64spr6pwI4ulzaipyS9O5VRAv91BLM6goBoCRQMQAvD_BwE

Being I would likely have more time and money I to them than if I made my own, I ordered them. No idea on fit or finish, or even if they put the air into the right area. So I'll post some photos up once they are installed and send them to the manufacturer to see if I can get something out of it, because marketing.

I also ordered a front air damn with the cooling ducts built in. It looks factory, so it should be fun.

https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corvette-1984-1996-Front-Spoiler-with-Brake-Cooling-Ducts_p_5938.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwPfVBRBiEiwAdkM0Hc 2uMG212VBjUYe7iMognKWyyLDVmhwbequLHE6Vao2hxzWD8yBM lRoCHKYQAvD_BwE

Godson
March 31st, 2018, 06:45 PM
I was able to score some shop time today to get the rotors turned on the fronts, and replace the rear rotors. This was all to install the Carbotech AX6 pads all around and get them the best chance of bedding in.

Also flushed all the fluid in the brakes and In the clutch system.

Before the car couldn't get the ABS to fire if it had to.

Now I can do it at will. And holy shit can they do work at ambient temperature.

I'll upload some pics after I can shrink the image size down.

CudaMan
April 2nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
That integrated air dam / duct solution looks ace. I like your thought process on brake safety/efficacy first. When is your TNiA?

Godson
April 2nd, 2018, 06:13 PM
April 20th.

Let's hope I don't bin it or blow it up.

Godson
April 3rd, 2018, 05:40 PM
Just dropped the car off for an alignment. Damn these brakes are good.

Godson
April 10th, 2018, 10:11 PM
My tire distributor and I have been getting the run around from federal tires since I started this process.

They have now lost my business, and I'm going old faithfuls route.

Hankook RS4. I wanted quick at the Autocross, and able for track day duty. This can do both. I was thinking about the Bridgestone, but on heavy cars the overheat and blister.

Should have them installed by Friday.

Godson
April 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Annnnnd in accurate news. The Federal tires showed up yesterday and were I stalled today. My distributor was never notified they were being shipped to them, nor were they aware a transaction even happened with them...

I'm only running these because of how inexpensive they are. Next set of tires will be hankook RS4. These are just to get the chassis sorted out for the time being.3015

Godson
May 8th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Soooooo. A lot has happened in the last few weeks with the car I'd like to update on.

I'll post up later this week.

dodint
June 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I only drove it a short way but I had a great time; thanks for giving me the keys, Tyler. It was a bittersweet experience, it simultaneously made me miss my SVT Cobra because of the RWD/V8/6-speed setup but also affirmed why I got rid of it. Your LT1 in that small car really spun up a lot faster than the 4.6L I had in the Ford even if the quoted output is about the same.

My Dad really enjoyed the ride, too. Wish he would've driven it but he really didn't want to spoil the weekend by dumping it into an Amish farm field.

Godson
June 19th, 2018, 07:51 AM
It's all good.

I had fun with the delorean. Next time I'll have better shoes for it ;)

Godson
July 2nd, 2018, 07:26 PM
I keep bouncing back and forth on what I want to do with this exact car.

Part of me wants a cool street car, part of me wants a 'race' car...

21Kid
July 3rd, 2018, 10:14 AM
What's wrong with both! 😁

dodint
July 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3074&d=1530672511

My Dad on the left, some tongue wagging goofball on the right.

NCM Motorsports Park about an hour after 24LM concluded.

CudaMan
July 3rd, 2018, 09:17 PM
:up: Life's too short to drive boring cars.

Godson
July 20th, 2018, 02:36 AM
So like, Everytime I see a photo of this car, I remember how much I love it.

Anyways. My plan for this car was to invest about 3k or so in bolt on that couldnt be re-used on another newer project if I got bored with this one.

This included a set of new springs for the front and rear. Well, the bad news is, the only company that made the high spring rate setup for the c4 announced they we're closing thier doors permanently back in May. The site is down, e-mails are no longer being answered, phone line is disconnected.

So I will be tasked with either finding a used set, or seeing if someone will be buying the bits and pieces to make new.

Piss.

Godson
September 26th, 2018, 08:47 AM
On happier news, the turn signal on the Corvette has been shit since I bought it.

There is a small metal pin/bar which holds the stalk on the switch lever.

This bar was either broken or something. Not really sure, but it wouldn't stay in it's place and would fall out. This would render the lever useless, and force me to activate the TSS directly inside of the column with my finger. Not ideal by any means.

I figured I could knock the job out in about two hours, so I went over to a buddies house after work on Monday. I was wrong, 4.5 hours later, with some moments of aggressive language outbursts, finagling, and exhaustion. I had finally replaced the switch without breaking anything on the 25 year old car. I'll take that as a major fucking win.

The car is so much nicer to drive now. I washed it and vacuumed it up. Looks pretty nice.

I had a brief moment where I was going to sell it to fund a zr-1, but the car in question has too many red flags for me to be comfortable with.

More later

dodint
September 26th, 2018, 09:07 AM
<Tyler> Okay Nate, here's the keys, just don't try and put the turn signal on.
<Nate> Got it!
* Nate knocks turn signal stalk off at first left.
<Nate> Shit, sorry!
<Tyler> It's fine, don't worry.
*Nate knocks turn signal stalk off again at next left a quarter mile later.
<Nate> Shit!

Cam
September 26th, 2018, 09:19 AM
:lol:

Godson
September 27th, 2018, 10:08 AM
That's pretty accurate how it went down. I was laughing the entire time it was going on too.

CudaMan
September 27th, 2018, 07:50 PM
A BMW owner who can't stop using turn signals? ;)

Godson
September 28th, 2018, 04:54 PM

I also went through and replaced all of my electrolytic capacitors in my amps that were bad. I have a fully functioning FM stereo for the first time ever.

Godson
October 11th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Good chance I netted a used AC compressor for 70$ online.

Here is to hoping.

dodint
October 11th, 2018, 10:19 AM
Awesome. I'll keep looking anyway. :P

Godson
November 9th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Current idea is to run a big ass front sway bar...

Godson
January 2nd, 2019, 02:17 PM
Ok, so in the process to get ready for spring, I have ordered new steering rack bushings, thermostatic oil filter coupling, and an oil cooler.

Next on list is hotter brake pads, diff fluid, and getting the brake ducting figured out.

dodint
January 2nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Yesssssss!

Godson
January 3rd, 2019, 10:28 AM
Also, just paid for a used AC Compressor. Should work out better than the current one.

Godson
May 6th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Ok. So on this front.

The Corvette had been making some funny noises from the steering rack, so I figured the bushings we're toast. I planned on the job taking about 5 hours, because the rack has to be removed. 7 + hours later and 230am, we called it and only had one bushing replaced. You need to disconnect the power steering lines to remove the rack. When we attempted to remove said lines, they acted seized. So instead of making a future job even harder, we packed it up and accepted the trade-off. In the future I will need to cut off the power steering line at the union, to remove the rack, then replace the line itself. Might rebuild the rack at the same time.

After all of this was done, I slid back underneath the car to see what a long time check engine light might be related to. It was an O2 sensor low voltage code. The O2 sensors on this car are 1 wire, so that didn't make any sense. Until I looked at the wiring and noticed the connector wasn't connected due to it being broken. A few zip ties later, and the light hasn't been back sense.

Forward a few more weeks, and the VSS I had replaced shortly after I got the car home had failed. I bought a Borg-Warner part and it worked. For about a week. Part of the reason I hadn't replaced it sooner was the amount of oil I would loose in the removal, at 15$ a quart, I wanted to get some life out of it. I finally popped it out, got it warrantied, in, an fluid drained and filled. Also changed oil, and that fixed that issue. I've since put 1k miles on the car without trouble in those areas.

Next issue is the AC pump replacing, chasing out an intermittent ABS/ASR failure. I'm guessing it is a relay or something, because if I cycle power when the light kicks, it usually goes away. Once the car is on and running, it usually doesn't show up mid-drive.

Having said all of that, this car really is fun to drive. I've got new rotors and carbotech xp10/xp8 for the track day weekend planned in June when Nate swings by. Super excited for this.

dodint
May 6th, 2019, 06:58 PM
I, too, am excited by this.

CudaMan
May 7th, 2019, 08:52 PM
This is good news. We demand video of said track day.

Godson
May 24th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Still need to get the brake ducting sorted. I just had an idea. More on this later.

I doubt I will be able to get the oil cooler situation figured out. The thermostatic switch I bought won't work. So back to the drawing board.

Need to change diff fluid too.

Need to remove and replace the AC compressor.

Need to buy a helmet approved for track days. Looking at Bell, because the name saved my ass once already.

All of this while trying to get the garage permits organized, fix a buddies van with bad lifters, fix that POS jeep, coach, and work full time.

Summer is fuckin' here. Time to get working.

Godson
May 24th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, need new ideas on personalized plates.

FST FRP is no longer allowed. Open to all suggestions.

dodint
May 28th, 2019, 06:50 AM
There was a vendor at CMP renting helmets, fire suits, everything. Maybe if you can't find a Bell you like there will be a solution like that?

Phil_SS
May 28th, 2019, 12:18 PM
RED AF

Godson
May 28th, 2019, 05:39 PM
RED AF

Wish I could, I coach kids and might drive it to practice on occasion...

Godson
June 13th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Been working like crazy to find a thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate, bought a mishimoto 200F plate for 140$. Problem is, the Vette uses m18 x 1.5 threads for the oil filter and nobody makes and sells just that adapter pipe to attach the sandwich plate. So i have a guy looking to make me one, or if he doesn't have the needed tools, I'll need to buy another sandwich plate entirely for just the purpose of that pipe. Effing crazy.

Also ordered brake duct hose, 2.5 in. The backing plate I have are 3 in, and everyone in the c4 community says 3 in can't be done with any chance of the car being close to stock. Just not enough room. So, I'm having the plates modified to fit 2.5in tubing, which I just bought on Pegasus racing.

Also just registered for the TT, thanks to Nate, I got a 50$ off coupon, with transponder rental, 220$. That's only 70$ more than a TNIA, and more track time. I'll take it.

I have a metric fuck ton of things to get done by next Friday. It's going to be busy, but worth it.

dodint
June 13th, 2019, 06:08 PM
That registration includes two dinners, too!

Godson
June 13th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah!

Godson
August 8th, 2019, 06:14 PM
So like...I have a LOT to update on...

dodint
August 9th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Bushings are in!

Phil_SS
August 9th, 2019, 06:10 AM
Like what happened at the track day shenanigans with Nate etc. Need info!

dodint
August 9th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Like what happened at the track day shenanigans with Nate etc. Need info!

https://pics.me.me/Instagram-musclecars-and-memes-ede93e.png

Godson
August 9th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Okay.

I got to the track on Friday night after a long but good day at work, because....reasons. The last TNiA I went to, I overheated the pads by quiet a bit, and it took a long time to get them to have any sort of consistent feel or performance again. This was with cool down laps, not going very hard on the brakes, etc.

So for this event I upgraded to the Carbotech XP10 in front and XP8 in rear. I started to swap to the brakes when I got there. And that wasn't a smooth process because of lack of sleep and exhaustion. The brake ducts wouldn't work because I'm a dumbass and didn't think this shit through. So I get the brakes and new rotors swapped over and cleaned up at 3am. Was planning on sleeping out under the stars because it had been a while, and then it starts fucking dumping rain, so I sleep in the truck with Murphy.

I wake up at 715 with Ash tapping on the glass and smiling excitedly for her 5k. While Nate and her go for a run, I finish putting on the required stickers and tidying up loose ends.

I bed the brakes in during the "paced laps" and park the car to give the brakes adequate time to cool before first session. I hadn't checked tire pressures or anything, because I honestly had low hopes or expectations of the car surviving the first session due to prior experience with the car. First session goes off without a hitch, car is a little loose and bouncy and I'm still getting the feel for the car, honestly.

I park the car in impound after first session like we are instructed to for debriefing for the group, I look over and see fluid dripping at a pretty consistent rate from the from of the car. After I parked the car, the radiator let go. I had zero signs of over heating outside of higher oil temps, which is nothing new.

I alert who I need to and they clean up the coolant while I move the car from impound and start looking for a radiator. I'm in Topeka, and could find nothing. Prices were 250-600+ and not available until Sunday at the earliest. It is probably 1100 at this point and I remember a place online that had some odd options for radiators in stock in KC. 1-800-radiator. I give them a buzz and they have one on the shelf. I'm 1 hour from them and it's now noon. I disconnect the trailer, pet Murphy, and hop into the truck. Zip down the highway, exhaustion hits, and I stop at a rest stop to grab a 15 minute power nap.

I get to KC around 1345, grab the radiator and zip back to Topeka to install. If all goes well, I could have the radiator in and system bled before the final session.

I get there with the intention to do just that, but once I get into it, I decide rushing it for the sake of track time isn't as smart as just getting it done right. So I slow down and finish it off right while the final session is running.

Meanwhile, a storm is brewing to the north and everyone is freaking like it is going to be there any minute. Me living here my whole life knows the wind hasn't changed direction, the temperature hasn't dropped, and the storm had been going northeast for quite some time. As I buttoned the car up and finished the last bits, the temperature drops no less than 15 degrees, the wind switches directly towards us at South East, and the lightening shoots off south of us. I'm talking Amber colored lightening. This is a STORM. Like a solid Midwestern storm.

We tether some shit down, and get to cover in the garage. And the the fucking rain comes down!

It rains all night, hails a little bit, and it wet for the track Sprint on Sunday. I have NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT THIS CAR IS GOING TO DO. I feel like it is toe changing on the rear due to bushings, etc. Like, I'm legit nervous of what could happen. The federals I'm on I know are slow, I know nothing about how they are going to deal with water, and I tip toe through the session. No drama. I also find out these tires, and the car aren't too bad for the rain.

Final session for the day comes in, and I get black flagged for oil going over alpha and into the carousel. Pop the hold and sure as shit, the passenger side valve cover is leaking. This is a brand new valve cover gasket on both sides, along with torquing the bolts to spec prior to that session.

I chalk it up as a successful and fun weekend and go hang out with Ash and Murphy while awaiting trophies. Next thing I know, my class is being announced and I pull a 3rd place petty trophy!

I'm legit shocked, and happy at the same time.

Tl;Dr, I fought hard through the trials of life and placed 3rd in my first event!

Ashie
August 10th, 2019, 06:30 AM
I love the picture of you up at the podium with Murphy!!! Plus, I believe that 3rd place was well earned after all the problems popping up.

Godson
August 12th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I had been driving around on occasion with 5 month old expired tags. I was pulled over in a not good area and given a warning, because I legit had no idea. I went to get the car inspected for safety, which is all we have in Missouri, and it failed. One of the power steering feed lines had residue on it that I neglected to clean off after the bushing swap on the rack. It also needed a windshield replacement. So I get a windshield replaced, the weatherstripping on the car crumbles, and replace the hose and clean the area of the power steering system. Car passes.

Issue is, when it rains outside, it now rains inside too. Like...big time. I find this out a few days before the TT, and don't have enough time or income to replace it, and that monsoon rain swings through. I literally had standing water in the car during the track Sprint. Good times. Lol.

Also, the new brake pads are great, even without cooling I had serious confidence in them. Oil cooler didn't get installed either, oil temps topped at 265 before I started to back off at 17 minutes or so.

I finally had enough money to justify getting the weatherstripping ordered and replaced this weekend after the garage teardown, and began that project on Sunday. Only issue with cheap weatherstripping is, it's too God damned big and the Targa top is no longer a one man install, the windows won't roll up without having to open the door. I'm going to call the manufacturer on Wednesday to see what the deal is and if I can get a refund or not. It's like, really bad. They fucking seal though. I have free time in the upcoming weeks to get the oil cooler installed now that all the parts are here, and the time to get the brake ducts handled prior to nationals at the end of September. Still a whole lot of things to do, but it's all coming to a head.

I'm super excited.

dodint
August 12th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Me too man, this is going to be awesome.

Godson
August 23rd, 2019, 05:48 PM
I ordered a new helmet that is rated SA, because my motorcycle helmet isn't. It's already arrived and I just need to go get it from a buddy.

Oil cooler is installed, need to do some fiddling with it. I'm not running at the 200* thermostatic switch temp. But it is definitely doing some work. Not as much as I would like. But it's working. I just don't want the oil temp pegging 260. If I need I will increase the heat exchanger for a larger one.

Just ordered tires for the event. 275/35r18. Nexen Nfera SUR4G. They have a 150$ contingency for just buying them right now, and a 500$ package for a win. The latter ain't fuckin happening. So at least I get the set for 800$ instead of 1100 for the bridgestones. Next year I'll upgrade to 315 square if I stay in the same class.

Plan tomorrow is to get the brake ducts planned out for installation. Once that is done, I think I'm out of projects until nats.

dodint
August 23rd, 2019, 07:52 PM
Well. Shit. I suppose that means I *have* to get new tires too.

CudaMan
August 23rd, 2019, 08:15 PM
I know the Nexens well. I played a small part in their development. Any questions, fire away. The sidewall response is more responsive to tire pressure changes than most tires, so you can really tune feel with pressure provided you have sufficient wheel width and camber (ie, the tire isn't just using up the outside edge in a camber-limited car). They are a lot of fun to drive on.

Godson
August 24th, 2019, 06:18 AM
What pressures cold would you recommend starting at for a 3200lb car?

275/35r18 on 18x10.5

Also, I forgot I had bushings to do on the car as well. Gotta start hustling.

CudaMan
August 24th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Well matched tire/wheel size. How much camber front and rear, and what does the suspension do with camber when it's compressed?

Godson
August 25th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Currently running -1/-2.5 f/r. I can get the camber curve measured if you would like. I'd be eager it stays relatively true to the static to compression.

CudaMan
August 25th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I did a little searching. This was the best I could find - a drawing.

http://mobile.web-cars.com/images/vette_m_img/1984-Corvette-front-view-outline-2_a.jpg
http://mobile.web-cars.com/images/vette_m_img/1984-Corvette-front-view-outline-2_a.jpg

If it's accurate, I'm picturing the outside front tire losing a bit of camber initially, and as it's further compressed the camber will start to "catch back up" and begin to go more negative again. Whether it ends up at more or less than static camber (measured at ride height) I can't tell from looking at it. Either way, it looks like there won't a huge camber gain when loaded up in a corner, so I'd say at -1 degree front camber you'll want a fair bit of tire pressure. If you can run more front camber, I would.

I know hot tire pressures best - cold gets worked out backwards - so I'd say to try high 30s hot up front and maybe 30 hot in the back. There's much more camber back there to help the tire under lateral load, plus lower pressures help with putting power down coming off a corner in a powerful RWD car.

As always, check for wear after sessions. If you find it's wearing too far down the sidewall, increase pressure. If you find the shoulder isn't getting worn, you can probably run less pressure. This is for outright grip. If tire life is your priority, run higher pressures.

And also as always, tire pressure can be a good handling tool on the day if the rest of the suspension isn't doing what you want. For example, if the car's understeering too much and your work to optimize front pressures isn't helping, you can induce the car to be more 'free' by raising rear pressure.

Godson
August 25th, 2019, 05:56 PM
With that info, I figure 36-26 cold to start, check temps/wear after, and adjust to feel and wear.

Also, most I can probably net is -1 on front without offset bushings, I'll need to check the rules to see what I can do, but I don't think I have much options in the sport classing.

Sidenote, Russ found these.

PDF with measurements from a 95, which is damned near identical to mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2483030-c4-front-suspension-geometry.html

Also a cad diagram of what I have to work with here, but simplified.

https://www.3dcontentcentral.com/parts/download-Part.aspx?id=443356&catalogid=171

My plan for this year is to get more comfortable with the car, then start working towards something that can be competitive, or moving on to something else/building it.

CudaMan
August 26th, 2019, 12:29 AM
Quite interesting. The PDF seems to look similar to the drawing I posted above. The CAD model shows a different angle for the LCAs and UCAs and a different relationship between the two. The CAD model suggests a healthy dose of camber gain during compression. The other two models don't, if I'm reading them right. However the line drawing I posted only has one wishbone of the UCA visible (now that I know from the other sources that the UCA inboard mounting points are at quite an angle), and I can't be sure if it's the front or rear portion.

Best way to be sure is to remove the spring and disconnect the sway bar, then jack up that corner and watch how the camber changes through the suspension travel.

Godson
August 26th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Yup, I figured you would say that!

I'll try to get some measurements before nats.

As for heat cycling, did they recommend them to be cycled or not?

CudaMan
August 26th, 2019, 03:23 PM
Well don't do it for my curiosity. :) Only if you're interested yourself.

Heat cycling is never a bad idea. Not all my sets were heat cycled and I can't say I noticed a real difference, but I didn't back-to-back them either.

Interestingly, I found the 265/35/18 to be a more "alive" tire in feel than the 275/35/18. Construction was confirmed as the same. One of life's mysteries. The 275s made the car feel heavier and lazier. In my testing (I did back-to-back these same day) they weren't any faster or slower, though. I stuck with the 275s for gearing purposes.

Edit - the 275s have a deeper tread depth than the 265s. IIRC this was part of the lazier feel from the 275s, but when I shaved my next set of 275s to the same tread depth as the 265s, they still felt lazier than straight up unshaved 265s.

Godson
August 26th, 2019, 03:35 PM
265/35?

It does have a shorter sidewall, so at least that may have something to do with it. We shall see what happens once I get them on and tested.

Currently trying to figure out if I should try and do a TNiA the week prior to nats as a final shakedown. I could heat cycle the tires then, then test to see if the "issues" I have been having are fixed or not.

dodint
August 26th, 2019, 04:41 PM
Seat time is always good. :up:

Godson
August 26th, 2019, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'll see if I have the money, and the ability to get off work.

Godson
August 27th, 2019, 07:53 PM
I won't be able to attend the TNiA, mom is being recognized for her 5 year anniversary of being a docent at the KC Zoo. Pretty big deal.

I'm going to get the oil cooler plumbing changed around a little bit for more added security. Knocking that out tomorrow, and figure out how I want to attack the brake ducts. Got a great idea on the final scenario. If not, the brakes are great and can probably handle repeat after repeat lap. They didn't mind it at HMP.

Tires should be here later this week.

dodint
August 27th, 2019, 09:19 PM
Congrats to your Mom!

Curious to hear your thoughts on the tires, I may order a set next week.

Godson
August 30th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Tires are here, round black and date stamped 4517. For those not in the know, that means the 45th week of 2017. For competition you usually want them to be under 6 months old, but I don't really have a choice. No matter what, they will be safer than the federals which the tread belts were beginning to separate from the carcass. I'll get them mounted this week. No idea if I can heat cycle them on the street safely or effectively. 180 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes is tough with super sticky tires. Might need to do that on Thursday at nats, and let them cool on Friday. I'd prefer to not do that though as I would be driving on 4+ year old Continental contact DW at temperature. That size is 275/295 respectively. Who knows what nats has in store for me.

Also, I re-routed and heat wrapped my oil lines. I now have a full inch space between the lines, along with a barrier, from the catalytic converter. Much better than the previous setup of less than 0.5in.

Also, was able to confirm the oil cooler is working, even if barely, it's doing something. I tested it by heatsoaking the engine to 230* oil temp, then took it for a short drive at 45-60mph and temps dropped to 219 and were stable there. Ambient temperature is 70 degrees. At the very least, if the oil temp spikes, I can back off for a lap or two, then get back into it. Previously it would stay up at 260+ for 10 minutes before being under 230.

dodint
September 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM
Really glad to see it all coming together. Hoping there won't be a lot of drama in the garage at Nats.

Godson
September 1st, 2019, 06:47 PM

Have had a few chances to run some oil temp checks over the last few days. Still trying to figure out the amount of oil I need to put into it now being I have changed the overall capacity.

I topped it off after making sure the thermostat had opened, then took it for a drive. And the car happily cruises at 213f, before it would be 220+.

Phil_SS
September 3rd, 2019, 06:07 AM
/me hearts a digital dash

CudaMan
September 9th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Tires can still be good for a while if stored properly (no ozone, no freezing temps, no sun). The Yokohamas we just used at Nationals have a build date over a year old. Methinks they were made in a batch in Japan, and either were stored there for a while or took the slowest boat to the US. :p They're still super grippy.

Godson
September 20th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Starting to get super excited.

Air oil separator from Moroso (176 shipped and the last one in the country) showed up today, and all of the parts are present. This makes me very excited. Tires are here, mounted and balanced, new stickers arrive tomorrow. Oil cooler is in fact working at some level, which is going to be important as the weather this next weekend is going to be brutal. 90+ every day. Brake cooling *should be* addressed on sunday. I will get the Nexen tires stickers mounted up, and the new numbers once weather permits this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend here.

I'm getting a tools list organized now for what I may need in case something breaks that I can get cheap and all. Trying to figure out how much of a full send I want to do with work/cost if something happens to come up. As I'm able to repair just about everything on this car with little tools or cost.

Dakota, myself, and another buddy will all be trailering down together on Wednesday. Planning on leaving around 0800, which should land is there around 7-8pm.

I decided to not do the bushings on the car because knowing my luck, something wouldn't come apart easily and would need to be replaced at an increased cost to me....and stress. So the bushings are on hold until the garage is done. Depending on what happens at nats, some of them may not ever be installed if I decide to upgrade classes next year.

I'm excited and a little terrified truth be told :)

Godson
October 1st, 2019, 05:41 PM
I posted my reaction to he event in the motorsports thread. Here is more of a breakdown on the car itself.

First and foremost, the engine is toast. I had been fighting a vibration under throttle for a while, along with oil leaking out past a new set of valve cover gaskets, no matter what I did. The Air oil separator was kinda of wishful idea it would help, and it didn't.

The last session of the day, the car was pulling well, but just not right. I checked oil in the AOS and saw some fine brass shavings. I thought about trying to preserve the car but everyone told me to get some seat time. I went out, and the engine gave up. Oil temps went from 260-300 in about 15 seconds. I shut the run down the second I saw it get above 280, and the temps kept rising. Oil pressure was appropriate the entire time.

I get back to pits, shut the engine off to let it rest and check oil level and fluids. Everything is like it was before the run. I let it cool, and check oil level again, no change. On start up it clatters pretty good and goes quiet. I drive it down gridlane about a 1/4 mile and it starts getting worse. I turn the car around and tell my findings.

Video at this point it here:
https://youtu.be/5BCaBCCeZj0

I take the car back to where the trailer is and call it a night.

Load the car up on Sunday afternoon to which it clatters quiet badly.

I have sourced an unknown engine about an hour away, with literally no history. It's only 200$ so at the worst, it's a good core. I could probably rebuild this one to new for around 1200$.

More on this later.

The shocks. God damn do they have shit valving. The sweepers make this car terrible at NCM. Like, I was legitimately scared of the car initially. After running Nate's 330Ci with stock dampers, I know they needed replacement. Currently looking at koni yellows.

Oil cooler was definitely doing work, so I'm happy on that front.

Bushings need to be replaced, still. This will be on the books once the garage is built.

After the weekend was over, I thanked John Hunter and all the SCCA guys. One of them told me if I plan on campaigning the c4 more, I really should get a roll bar. AutoPower makes a race roll bar and a cage also. Roll bar is 700$. Trying to figure how involved I want to get with this thing.

I will be reading over the rules to find out what I can and can't do with the engine. It would be really nice if I could do an LT4 heads and intake. But I don't think I can.

This car has a ton of fun potential. And the off-season just started.

dodint
October 1st, 2019, 05:59 PM
Get it sorted so you can lend it out to your friends on test days...

CudaMan
October 1st, 2019, 11:32 PM
Bummer about the engine. How many miles on it?

Unfortunately old cars don't always hold up real well to track use unless/until they've been gone over in a fairly big way.

The suspension bushings may also be contributing to the uneasy feeling of the car when loaded up in corners. Probably a good idea to do them with the shocks. Yellows are a super solid choice. :up:

Godson
October 2nd, 2019, 07:59 AM
Engine had 170+k of unknown history. I am for real not upset about it.

Godson
November 21st, 2019, 10:03 AM
I have sourced a local - ish engine in Arkansas, 6 hours away.

I will pick it up on Saturday. 137k miles, 300$. Those will give me a core I can rebuild and rotate in.

dodint
November 21st, 2019, 10:35 AM
Is it the same one we sourced while at the track?

Put another way; why are there so many dead Corvette's in Arkansas?

JoshInKC
November 21st, 2019, 03:51 PM
Arkansas draws in things which are already dying.

Godson
November 21st, 2019, 04:22 PM
It may actually be let me look at the dates of interaction.

Godson
November 21st, 2019, 04:24 PM
Is it the same one we sourced while at the track?

Put another way; why are there so many dead Corvette's in Arkansas?

It was one of the many I found. But it is now "closer" to me.

Godson
November 24th, 2019, 12:34 PM

And by closer, I mean in my possession.

Details are:

1992 engine
137k miles

And that's about what I know.

It appears to have had exhaust manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, intake manifold, and oil pan gasket leaks. The plan is to swap all of those out with new and swap this engine in, while I rebuild the other engine.

Minor ramblings:

I don't want to get too deep into this car in case I like the chassis of the C4 and want to 'upgrade'. I have kicked the idea around of selling the jeep and this for a zr-1 to run in Sport 2 class.

I am also still kicking around the idea on doing a gen 5 LT1 swap in this car.

The current car would have a higher potential and less expensive ceiling. Being the gen 5 engines are 450hp and 420lbs assembled vs 375hp and 600lbs assembled.

The ZR-1 is my childhood dream car, and I could actually own it. However, I am actually intimidated on driving my dream car. I don't want to be let down. I keep going back to wanting the LT5.

Thoughts?

dodint
November 24th, 2019, 01:00 PM
Sell the Jeep.

samoht
November 24th, 2019, 02:29 PM
The ZR-1 is my childhood dream car, and I could actually own it.

Thoughts?

You mean the 375hp Lotus-designed quad cam one?

Do it.

It'll be cool to own one
You might learn things that will inform your C4 ownership in future from it (in terms of tuning directions to go, or not go in)
It'll probably appreciate over the next few years
You might love it

Godson
November 24th, 2019, 03:36 PM
You mean the 375hp Lotus-designed quad cam one?

Do it.

It'll be cool to own one
You might learn things that will inform your C4 ownership in future from it (in terms of tuning directions to go, or not go in)
It'll probably appreciate over the next few years
You might love it

That's the one! I should probably not chase the performance-per-dollar game. I'll get nothing done

Per the appreciation of the car. It probably won't. It will be used quite a bit on the track in competitive, albeit not w2w, form

Godson
February 14th, 2020, 06:26 PM
Holy hell. I haven't touched this thread or the car since the 24th of Nov?

Some updates on what is going on. The "temporary" engine has been gone through with new gaskets, and seals from top to bottom. Without touching the head gaskets.

Garage build is still on hold, because this weather sucks.

With that, the engine swap is also on hold. I can work in a consistent 50° weather. I can't do what it has been....

I'm moving ahead with the current car. Unless a get a stupid and wild hair. I'm selling the shit valved bilsteins for RideTech. The RideTech are built by FOX, and are single adjustable. 730$ for the set. I have lined up a guy to buy my take offs for 250$, I paid 350$.

Along with this, I have submitted a sway bar rule exemption for the C4 Corvette. ADDCO is the only company that makes a sway bar from a major company. Their offerings are actually worse than what my car comes with. The rules group is looking over the submission and will get back to me later. Hopefully they allow me to use RideTechs 1.25in tubular front and 1.125 tubular rear bar.

I will possibly need to submit a rule request for the RideTech shocks, because the TT group is trying to use a setup from Tire rack as the parts supplier. I'm cool with that, and if needed I will try to get them to work in for RideTech products.

I'll upload photos in a bit

Godson
February 16th, 2020, 03:08 PM
I got the b8 bilsteins off the car. Battery is completely dead, too.

I've been thinking and I think I'll be stuck with the konis no matter what my request is.

Photo dump.

Godson
March 31st, 2020, 05:04 PM
So, latest updates on this.

After some seriously frustrating findings, like whoever did the exhaust welded the entire thing together from the catalytic converters back, It was also done in a fashion that is binding the mid-pipes, so I can't remove the exhaust without cutting the resonators out... This isn't an entirely bad thing, because I noticed the E-brake cable goes over the resonators, and has actually rubbed a small hole in the most rearward part of the resonators. Going to hack them out with a sawzall, and replace with an X-pipe/ y-pipe. Good Possibility I will be going to Burns Stainless and talking to them about their recommendations, etc. The likely X-pipe choice will be $400+. So I want to make sure what I do is the right choice.

Because of this scenario, I have also decided to have the other engine I bought torn down and gone through. Complete refresh, to the rules build. My brother works at a machine shop, and I am paying him to tear that down and take it to work for inspection, etc. He had the heads and pan off and ready to go in no time. I miss-placed the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolt, which prevented him from taking the timing chain, etc off, along with the tear down of the rest of the engine. This was 2 weeks ago. Brother has since ghosted me (while living at my parents house) so that process is now on hold also.....I'm not happy about that in the least bit. Plan for this engine is after it is built, and ready to go I will get it to a Dyno, and have a proper break in at the dyno. I will also know what I have to work with for power, etc. This will all be done before the first event. I have 7 weeks as of today. Not looking good with the current situations...

I had a few parts to be added to allowed list for my car. Comically enough, Nate pointed out, I was the only one asking for parts to be added. One of them passed, the Sway bars, the other was declined, the RideTech Shocks. So with that information, I found out I needed to chase out some KONIs. I rummaged through my list of coupons I had lying around, and Summit had a 10% off coupon. It worked with the KONI's so that saved me 70$. That will come in handy when I go to buy other needed items. The sale of the previous shocks, along with this savings I am out 390 dollars fo this upgrade. That's fine by me.

Hope I have more information soon.

GB
April 5th, 2020, 10:41 AM
Ghosted by your own brother? Dude...

dodint
April 5th, 2020, 11:19 AM
I feel like you have a lot of time to get this done.

Godson
April 5th, 2020, 01:39 PM
Ghosted by your own brother? Dude...

He and I haven't had the brightest of histories. We haven't ever really gotten along, and he has been hurting for money, so I gave him a chance.

His GF is also a nutcase, and I know that's wearing on him. But to simply not respond has me a bit pissed, if I am to be frank.

Nate, something tells me I will have a lot of time. But waiting for shit to happen isn't my strong point.

Godson
May 25th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Fast forward a month and a half, I still don't have an engine from the machine shop, in fact, they fucked up and overbored the engine outside of class limits. I said I would take my original block, illegal bore and all, and they find a replacement block. The replacement block is from a Camaro, which has 2 bolts per main bearing cap vs the Corvettes 4 bolt design. More bolts = better control of crankshaft and bearings from deflection. That likely has put me further back in my timeline. I dunno.

*Supposedly* the block will be ready for assembly tomorrow, that doesn't mean it will get done. Also, it doesn't account for TOD pickup. IF I can get the engine Wednesday early, I could *possibly* get the swap done in time. But that's pushing it with my call schedule.

I still need to swap over accessories for the dead engine for the replacement, before I can get the replacement engine into the car. Then I need to have the exhaust work done.

All of this to be accomplished in just over a week.

I told Nate I feel completely defeated about this entire scenario. I've been working in some way shape or form on getting this shit done since December when I got the replacement engine.

/me flips table and leaves the room.

dodint
May 25th, 2020, 02:34 PM
It will probably be ready in time for Nats. ;)

Cam
May 25th, 2020, 05:50 PM
:(

samoht
May 29th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Good luck getting things sorted out one way or another. It'll be fun once it's up and running again.

dodint
August 2nd, 2020, 07:10 PM
You sell the Jeep yet or what?

Phil_SS
August 4th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Looks like he is too busy building a garage. :D

Godson
September 23rd, 2020, 10:04 PM
So like ... I have a shit ton to talk about, with even more photos.

I'll leave it at this

I finally got the car back together, and running. I took it out to a TNiA for engine and clutch brake in. A super basic shakedown is all. Pulled a few laps, and a missfire developed. And I called it a night before any damage occured.

Out of patience and out of time, I punted to a friend who has a lot of experience with the gen 2 sbc.

Quick diagnosis, and a free fix put me out of a diagnostic fee and back on the road.

So now I'm currently sitting in a trailer, in Bowling Green Kentucky, watching "Driven" as the rain falls. The Vette is here, and ready to go. I've gotten 100 miles of break in for the engine and clutch. So who knows what lies ahead.

Should be fun.

Kchrpm
September 24th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Fingers crossed. All things go well I will see you guys Sunday.

CudaMan
September 24th, 2020, 09:22 AM
Have fun! Do Corvettes get a time bonus for being Corvettes at NCM? :D

dodint
September 25th, 2020, 05:10 PM
It's not really a bonus if everyone gets it. ;)

CudaMan
September 25th, 2020, 06:26 PM
German V10s are on the exclusion list. :p

dodint
September 28th, 2020, 12:37 AM
Tyler threw down a monster lap on Sunday. So proud of him and I was very excited to have been there to see it this weekend.

Godson
September 28th, 2020, 02:43 PM
I told you on Wednesday I had a sub 2'28 in me!

Car did better than I thought it would. Like, I'm shocked at how well it behaved, no drama AT ALL from the car. Like zero. Zilch. Nada. The only time it was in the garage, was to bleed the brakes and that was my choosing. It didn't even need that!

Great balance, good enough power to make me respect the loud pedal, and overall just a fun chassis. I had a near spin, but it never felt like I didn't have a chance at keeping it going in the direction I wanted. The Z07 springs and sway bars are paramount on that topic.

I will get a big write up on everything later this week. Currently getting things reorganized and cleaned up, once that's done, I'll post it up.

Kchrpm
September 29th, 2020, 05:06 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fW4H8Lnk4nwSOm906PlkO6l_Ibxhoq5SQ61NhQOGbNdczLrv8 c6Hwr_OVX6iJbFkJuPe6XutGQbx0DUvYMsVuPIs_-DBwGt4cdmkRShQe-KPd2dw6CLyn5ezdLbtMoMuniuQMoCcK37q5y8wmTu7Fq_Q=w13 03-h977-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3foDWAnngnnJbFaDDyD7T4TA7ZElCj61yH5dtZoVvFysW6zX2I Ufl6KdSgoS31DB36atPPdKPoT15DcLMYUqbsGSLgzPtaEB0Ni4 fwRq1dm70X2LI3z92Mi2krQ8TrpsUjWAmN8M8-Jexeckk957wsGeg=w1303-h977-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d0ekCsQRRxEW3h2s6rJHdWjeeKfJlt3aL8X3nPgHfQnO_JEET j-jKgXzzWejGDt2hlUhL_CkWP2BzX_D-sC6pI_vU2y4SOvDnhoUGo6e2tp8lSFpVp7TpE08GHKmvgqgtsy YenHxB1FaW0RAlGYlp17w=w1303-h977-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fdJknqCY5cbLJWNJjdO5KwYr5TvaGOXD8rceCfvj6twCIvWXB sX8u5TZGOpyad_4LnmkWr9qtdxBFH9GbcV2Xb09INbBfgYYI_U XGTTs9eQwv7vG2ola_BcuCkHdin5_tNJdX7aliH5rfti0ShF6I iBg=w1303-h977-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3foa2N-6u45i0ZyA7Zk4MzY9aog0QIFlpaBD7SDzDaGyaR2UPu8rfhNeV jd4pWYwsrsL1RZIoZjRECNxVF8RMw36ovAFJqz9A2rR_1PXyFW 2MNBFzyjnxX4TlEkKL3xeMzM8Uk2KYjIfvluYPhtZi_pfw=w13 52-h977-no?authuser=0

Godson
September 29th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Dude, I'm really digging the wheel and tire closeup along with the last photo. Is that coming out of 1B?

Kchrpm
September 30th, 2020, 03:34 AM
That is 1A.

Cam
September 30th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Looking good. :cool:

Yw-slayer
September 30th, 2020, 06:44 PM
Nice one, brother.

Godson
October 17th, 2020, 08:08 PM
So like. Wow.

This entire engine replacement process has been a test of will, strength, and insanity. Parts are tough to get ahold of for this engine, because it was only made for 5 years. Over that 5 years they had MULTIPLE changes for one reason or another.

I'd get one thing complete only to be held up trying to find a replacement part, or the one I got didn't work, at all. Even though it is supposed to...

The replacement engine I took to the machine shop was bored 0.030 over, and rules only allowed 0.020. which I had told the machine shop. So that block wasn't legal. Y'know, the one I drove to arkansas to pick up.....

They found me a replacement but it's from a Camaro, the difference is, the Corvette block has 4 bolts per crank journal while the camaro was 2. Whatever.

The original flywheel and clutch were on their last legs, so I had to replace them with a single mass unit. Which put a delay on getting the engine internals balanced.

It was literally one thing after another for troubles.

Fast forward 5 months after I started this fucking project. G

I had the car put completely back together 2 weeks prior to nationals. And then dropped it off at a local race shop so they could weld in my x-pipe and connect the midsection of the exhaust I had to cut out to pull the engine. They got the exhaust done in an awesome fashion, and the day of a TNiA for a shakedown.

I'm trying to break in the engine, at the track, along with the clutch. Car develops a missfire and I call it a day after two sessions. I'm pissed and out of ideas. I call a buddy up to diag the issue, carte blanche. Because I'm fucking at a loss of mental stability. I'm also out of time. Less than a week before I leave for nats.

He calls me up two days later, says I owe him an hour, which is $80. Turns out, I swapped around plug wires for 6 and 8.

Fucking whatever. Car runs great now. So I put in to start getting the car broken in....

I only get 100 miles on the car before I tow down to bowling green. Remember, I haven't ever had the chance to drive this car in anger ...ever. I'm also on brand new Koni yellows, which were on backorder for like...........3 months.

First day of practice, it's raining off and on, so I am tiptoeing around the track, afraid SOMETHING is going to break. Because why not after the drama to get here. Nothing happens on Thursday. I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with the car.

Friday is first day of times runs. I'm nervous but still excited to finally be there. I get stuck behind a Ford Probe, part of cold lotion racing, and can't get a point by. I'm stuck at 2'40 lap times and can't get a point by. After the second session of this, I walk up to the guy and beg him for a point by, he graciously concedes he will give me one on y last session for the day. He also mentioned that he was being flagged for smoke, to which I could tell him, he was locking up his back tires going into 10, because I had 40 minutes to watch him do it over and over ....

Final session on Friday he give me a point by right away, and I don't see him for the rest of the weekend. I'm immediately into the 2'31s and clawing my way up.

Friday finished on a good note, and I was starting to piece the runs together on what the car wants.

I was excited for Saturday track sprints. This is where I knew I could make up some time on cars.

West course, I wear the wrong shoes out, and get my shoe stuck on the brake pedal on my fastest run. I left an easy 1.5-2 seconds out there because of it.

East course, I'm ready, I watch what others are doing. I completely bitch my downshift and rev match on my final two runs. I'm fuming pissed at myself.

Of note, still learning what to do with this car. And my feet, because I can't do certain things due to my hip shit.

Saturday night I run through what I can do to make some changes.

Sunday I am hell-bent on not fucking up my downshifts in heavy braking zones. I talk with a couple of people and head out. Session one gets a red flag for THE probe clipping the rumbles too hard and flipping the inertia switch. I check on him after the session and all is well.

We go out again and I'm chomping at the bit. I put in one lap at pace to get the nerves out, then settle in for a lap. The video doesn't show it well, but I am clipping curbs pretty aggressively. I finished that lap, to look at my timer, which shows I'm on a 2'31.... I call bullshit on the time and just accept it and finish my cool down. When I get back to impound Nate congratulated me on a kick ass time. I shrug him off at first, then ask him what it was. 2'27.935. I'm ecstatic, because my goal for the weekend was a 2'28 (I'm still MILES from the pointy end of the field, though). We have one more session in which I go out to work on cleaning up basics, and to have a good end for the weekend. No hero level shit.

We lack up, and the week of Nats is over.

I'm already wanting to go back. But first, I need to get a roll bar, seats, and a harness into the car so I can focus on driving, instead of staying in the seat.

Video. Feel free to critique. I am going to be working on initial brake input, and brake pedal release over the winter as my major focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4xGy8uuAHk&feature=youtu.be

dodint
October 18th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Of note, you were only 3 seconds behind the M6 but were 15mph slower on the top end. You were really hustling around the twisties to achieve that. :up:

Godson
October 18th, 2020, 07:34 AM
Thanks for that bit of info.

Next year, it will be on 315s! Nothing like 40mm wider per tire to make the car a little faster!

dodint
October 18th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Yeah? You've never brought it up before...

;)

GB
October 25th, 2020, 11:33 AM
How do the TT's work? Do you get an out lap, hot lap, cool down lap? Or do you get a 20 minute (or whatever) session in which to set your time?

Godson
October 25th, 2020, 05:13 PM
Basic format event you get three 20 min practice sessions. Two 20 minute fastest lap session, where the fastest time for the day counts. 3 track sprints, and two 15 minute fastest lap sessions.

dodint
October 25th, 2020, 06:43 PM
In the last year they have changed those 15 minute sessions to out-3-in sessions. That enables them to run half size groups.

GB
October 26th, 2020, 05:51 PM
OK, so you DO get a decent amount of track time, similar to a plain ol' HPDE.
Someone was trying to tell me that your hot laps were limited.

Godson
January 16th, 2021, 08:22 AM
After much debate and discussion. I'll be selling the Vette do to many reasons. I don't really fit into the car, and with my hip limitations, foot work under heavy braking is a bit difficult with size 12 shoes.

I'm currently kicking around ideas. Please add any knowledge about the vehicles listed. Goal is under 30k and I would prefer to stay in the Sport class, but am not against stretching to tuner. I just don't want someone's project.

C5Z
Early Cayman S
Giulia Ti RWD(flappy paddles)
S550 mustang gt/eb with the PP
12-13 boss 302
F-Type S

Currently laying the discussion is the c5Z. This isn't because of I want to track the defacto package, but it's the easy button.

I'll be looking at a Giulia later today, but that's just too get me to scratch an itch. I *may* look into a stick axle mustang 5.0 instead of the boss, but that would lose me the roadrunner engine.

dodint
January 17th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Just get whatever feels best in GT:S.

Godson
January 17th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Guess I'll buy a Porsche ;)

Kchrpm
January 18th, 2021, 12:08 AM
$30k limit?

You could haggle this down: https://kingmotorsfl.com/inventory/41916/view/32178/Saint%20Petersburg-FL/2014-Chevrolet-Corvette

It's a "Monster Track car!!! SUPER FAST CAR!!!! LIGHTING FAST!! WOW WHAT A HOTT CAR!!!" according to the ad.

dodint
January 18th, 2021, 06:53 AM
Guess I'll buy a Porsche ;)

The best car in that game, for me, is a Cayman.

Godson
January 18th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Another one for discussion.

FRS

CudaMan
January 18th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Super fun as long as you're okay with straightaways getting longer. :) They need oil coolers for track use for sure. Huge aftermarket. Great handling. Cheap but well put together for the most part.

We've talked about the choices on your list. From my experience the Boss 302 and Cayman S are the best drives at the limit. They're very different flavors as you know! I can't remember driving an S550 with PP.

The Giulia non-QF drives well but you can't turn nannies all the way off. The system is really good, but there's still this sense of too much competency to where the car never really gets entertaining. You just go into corners faster than you think and wonder if the car will carve the arc you want or a different one. The rear end never ever gives a feeling of being alive back there, and yet the car doesn't feel horribly understeery. Altogether it's kind of eerie actually. Bet it would make a great daily though.

Godson
January 19th, 2021, 08:35 AM
On the Giulia, There are a few tunes out there that eliminate nannies on the base models, which is allowed in sport. However, that car has a mountain of things to deal with to be track worthy. The lack of seat tilt is a major no go, no quick add on harness like scroth, possible cooling issues, possible oil starve issues, etc As you said, it would be an awesome daily, and if I was only looking for a daily it would be the choice. I also noticed what you mention about the rear suspension, etc. Kinda a weird sensation.

The FRS likely wouldn't be making stock power levels for long. I've got a pretty good friend who has a S/C'd one I'm going to test fit/drive

CudaMan
January 19th, 2021, 11:32 AM
I've seen an LS in one, too, so, you know, there's that...

Godson
January 19th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I have seen one locally like that too.

We shall see.

Godson
October 17th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Man, this hasn't been updated in a while.

The 'vette has been sitting at the parents while I have been finishing up the garage.

I had to read up on what my last posts were to remind me where this project has been.

It makes me sad. Like, I'm shocked at how the thought of what is to come is.

The engine will be getting pulled on Saturday, and back to the shop after finding excessive blow by on cylinders number 6/8. Machine shop is going to do a tear down, inspection, and rebuild on it. Who knows how many years that will take them.

Once the engine has been redone, it goes back together and up for sale. Hopefully to a certain interested party. I'll be really sad that day, possibly the most sad I have been over a vehicle sale.

With that said, I will be doing video and voice overs on my YouTube channel, as a precursor to practicing for the F136 swap. Please feel free to add any ideas, input, or just tell me to fuck off.

Stay tuned.

dodint
October 17th, 2022, 09:30 AM
Subscribed.

George
October 17th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Lately I've been surprised at how (relatively) inexpensive '80s & '90s Corvettes are. Not that I've ever followed their market value, but I've seen a few that almost seem reasonable.

Godson
October 17th, 2022, 10:30 AM
They are reasonable, and the performance per dollar is shocking.

And for the most part, the cars are very durable

dodint
October 17th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Yeah, clearly.

Godson
October 17th, 2022, 11:47 AM
Hey, fuck you. Lol

The early tuned port cars are straight up gen 1 SBC and the z51 cars had a factory oil cooler.

Outside of the doug nash 4+3, they are solid performers

HondaKid86
October 28th, 2022, 01:47 AM
Where's this YouTube channel? And will there be shoebox steering wheel content? 🤤

Godson
October 28th, 2022, 08:37 AM
https://youtube.com/channel/UClcp5vYAz3-inXEUcyfh25Q

HondaKid86
October 28th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Excellent channel name. Subbed. Shoebox content!n🤤

Godson
November 5th, 2022, 09:49 PM
Now that the garage is finished being built, this cars final chapter in my possession has started.

Engine needs to come out so I can send it to the machine shop for teardown, inspection, and fix whatever is wrong with it not sealing cylinders 6 and 8.

As always, click for larger

Godson
November 7th, 2022, 07:51 PM
I started to make a write up about what was accomplished tonight on the car, but the GF decided she needed to talk for another 45 minutes on the phone, after we were already on the phone for will over an hour, a mere 2.5 hours prior. I'm pretty frustrated with her, to be honest. This is totally my issue, an nobody else's though. I'm just venting here.

I snapped some photos, took some basic stuff apart, and drained coolant. I'll make a write up tomorrow night. I might even shoot some video as a test for when I begin the FRS build.

Phil_SS
November 8th, 2022, 07:32 AM
Sooo pretty.

George
November 8th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Nice garage!

Godson
November 9th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys, building it was definitely the biggest job I will ever take on.

Now to get this Vette back together again to move on to the Maserati.