PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a HD

Cam
March 1st, 2018, 06:24 AM
With all the videos I am filming, my 2TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive is filling up fast. Please recommend me a new internal desktop hard drive. Reliability is more important to me than price. My desktop is about six years old.

Tom Servo
March 1st, 2018, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the drives from the normal name manufacturers are all just fine - Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba. They're also dirt cheap at this point, you can get 4TB drives for around $100 if you're not that worried about speed (which I'd imagine you aren't for video stuff, you don't need a ton of throughput for that).

Jason
March 1st, 2018, 03:35 PM
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q3-2017/

Backblaze fairly regularly (https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html) posts about their hdd reliability findings, if that helps.

Reynard
March 1st, 2018, 03:52 PM
I'm sure I'm the exception and not the rule but I've yet (and I just jinxed myself I'm sure) to have a HDD failure in any of my PC builds. I've only ever bought WD black models aside from an original 150GB WD Raptor, which is still doing just fine after 12 years or so as one of my game drives...

Cam
March 1st, 2018, 06:01 PM
4TB Seagate Barracuda ordered.

Yw-slayer
March 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM
Sho' 'nuff, my 2TB WD Black just died for some unknown reason. It was also rather puzzling as the 1TB (which I bought first) is still fine, touch wod. But it was OK as I managed to get all of the important stuff off it and onto my 4TB WD Black. Now it's time to get another 4TB WD Black.

Cam
March 3rd, 2018, 10:51 AM
After my last PC died, its HD was put in my current machine. The old HD worked for a few years after the transfer, but it eventually stopped working. It's still currently in my PC case, but not connected. The new HD should arrive today. This will be a good time to give the box a good cleaning.

Cam
March 3rd, 2018, 02:55 PM
Woo-hoo! Up and running. My CPU heat-sink was filthy. :o

Cam
March 3rd, 2018, 07:28 PM
It is taking many hours to back up 1.5TB to the new drive. :eek:

Tom Servo
March 3rd, 2018, 09:26 PM
You might want to look into an external USB3 drive. They're not painfully slow and you can get 5+TB for a pittance (like $150 for Seagate8TB).

Cam
March 4th, 2018, 03:59 AM
We have several USB HDs around. I have an older ~400GB that I simply use as a back-up drive, Lori has a ~500 GB and a new 1TB she bought in December. She offered it to me, but I feel I needed a new internal drive anyway. We're not that short on storage. :)