PDA

View Full Version : Ford to kill ALL sedans

GB
April 25th, 2018, 05:20 PM
http://fordauthority.com/2018/04/ford-to-prune-its-north-american-car-lineup-axe-the-fiesta-fusion-taurus-and-most-focus-models/

Another nail in the coffin of the automobile.

dodint
April 25th, 2018, 05:22 PM
The article lost me when it called the Mustang a halo vehicle. ;)

Jason
April 25th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Mustang will be the only car? The focus that's left is a crossover...

Jesus.

dodint
April 25th, 2018, 07:21 PM
The next oil crisis will be a hoot for them. Even if the SUVs/SAVs get good gas mileage the optics will be bad. The Cash for Clunkers fiasco was only, what, a decade ago?

Tom Servo
April 25th, 2018, 08:00 PM
This seems like an odd choice considering most of those cars help them achieve average mileage targets, unless they have found a way to massively improve the efficiency of their SUVs and trucks.

TheBenior
April 25th, 2018, 11:42 PM
I'm starting to think that the average consumer understands better than enthusiasts that CUVs are getting pretty close to car fuel economy.

A 1.5L FWD Escape gets 26 mpg combined, a 1.5L FWD Fusion gets 27 mpg. Sure, the Fusion gets 4 mpg better on the highway, but the identical city rating is probably more relevant for most people's commutes.

Jason
April 26th, 2018, 02:01 AM
This seems like an odd choice considering most of those cars help them achieve average mileage targets, unless they have found a way to massively improve the efficiency of their SUVs and trucks.

Isn't the Trump administration trying to undo those mileage goals?

Godson
April 26th, 2018, 03:38 AM
The other thing is, CARB calculates there MPG requirements based off wheelbase, etc. So if they are getting the same city mpg as the cars, but with larger footprint, they are actually getting a better calculated economy.

Sad, little man
April 26th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Well, maybe time to start thinking about packing it up I think. This company doesn't give one shit about anything other than next quarter's profit margin anymore. It's foolish not only from a long term business standpoint, but also from the perspective of being a compelling company with products that people love.

balki
April 26th, 2018, 04:33 AM
People don't like sedans any longer and only thing more profitable than CUV/SUVs are pickups.
Still think they're being rather short-sighted (maybe their electric and hybrid programs are much further along than I'm seeing)

overall it's disgraceful, but more on our (the American consumers) part than Ford's (their still making sedans/hatches for other parts of the world).

Crazed_Insanity
April 26th, 2018, 08:42 AM
I wonder if there'll eventually be a Mustang Active SUV as well! :D

Anyway, considering the dwindling sedan sales and their inability to compete with the 'import' brands, can't say that I blame Ford.

Don't forget Ford was the only company that didn't need to get bailed out.

Surely when the sedan comes back in fashion, Ford will be back at building sedans.

Considering gas prices are swing back up higher, my guess is that Ford will reverse course in a few years... so for these few years, they can save some money not building sedans that people don't really want to buy.

Freude am Fahren
April 26th, 2018, 10:14 AM
The other thing is, CARB calculates there MPG requirements based off wheelbase, etc. So if they are getting the same city mpg as the cars, but with larger footprint, they are actually getting a better calculated economy.

But aren't all the CUV's the same underpinnings as the sedan/hatch counterparts?

I'm not too mad about this honestly. Why would I care about the Ford Fusion? American companies make pretty shit economy sedans and hatches anyway, might as well have the advantages of the CUV. If this trickles over to Europe and Japan though, then I'd worry. Only loss is maybe the Focus RS, which might be a good buy right now at $4k savings :)

Phil_SS
April 26th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Anyway, considering the dwindling sedan sales and their inability to compete with the 'import' brands, can't say that I blame Ford.

Import sedans aren't selling either. IMO, Ford is being very proactive and forward thinking with this decision.

And don't forget, they will have cars in foreign markets that they could possibly bring over, if needed.

Sad, little man
April 26th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I wonder if there'll eventually be a Mustang Active SUV as well! :D
Ha!

George
April 26th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't have thought that sedans would ever go away (and I realize Ford's announcement doesn't doom all sedans worldwide).

But, I never thought two-door sedans and two-door SUVs would all but disappear and that one day most pickup trucks would have four doors, either.

Crazed_Insanity
April 26th, 2018, 01:03 PM
And don't forget, they will have cars in foreign markets that they could possibly bring over, if needed.

Exactly! It's not like there'll never be another American nameplate sedan.

Seriously, as an American, if you're in the market for a new sedan, will Ford be near the top of your list? I do like their Fusion, but Ford probably still won't be able to crack top 5 of my list. So why bother?

If even Porsche is selling more SUVs than cars, can't really fault Ford to just give up on its lousy cars business for now.

Rare White Ape
April 26th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Ford's sedans are a bit shit, so no great loss.

Although the loss of the Focus to the USA is a bit harsh. They're a good car. Although... Mazda on the inside, Ford on the outside. If you want one, just buy a Mazda 3.

Crazed_Insanity
April 26th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Fiesta and Mazda2 were twins. Mazda gave up on 2 long ago. Probably about time Ford pull the plug on that one.

With regard to Focus and the latest Mazda 3, are they still related? Anyway, no way I'd even consider buying the Focus. Mazda 3 I do like though.

I think Mazda is the only company right now that doesn't have a model that I don't like.

Godson
April 26th, 2018, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't have thought that sedans would ever go away (and I realize Ford's announcement doesn't doom all sedans worldwide).

But, I never thought two-door sedans and two-door SUVs would all but disappear and that one day most pickup trucks would have four doors, either.

Be on the lookout for the new bronco...

Fogelhund
April 26th, 2018, 08:05 PM
The changes include getting rid of all cars in the region during the next four years except for the Mustang sports car and a compact Focus crossover vehicle.

Will the Ford GT continue?

----

Also makes sense why the Mustang is going to NASCAR too.

Drachen596
April 26th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Wonder what they'll try to sell to the Police Departments for a sedan then. Currently I think its Taurus based.

dodint
April 26th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I presume the Dodge Charger has that covered.

Freude am Fahren
April 26th, 2018, 09:08 PM
The changes include getting rid of all cars in the region during the next four years except for the Mustang sports car and a compact Focus crossover vehicle.

Will the Ford GT continue?

----

Don't think the GT was ever intended to go beyond 1000 units. Though originally that was 500 and they doubled it, so who knows. But I think it had already had an expiration date.

Rare White Ape
April 26th, 2018, 09:24 PM

They're also replacing the Falcon in the Supercars (formerly V8 Supercars) series.

Crazed_Insanity
April 26th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Wonder what they'll try to sell to the Police Departments for a sedan then. Currently I think its Taurus based.

CA police and hwy patrol are already using Explorers now.

TheBenior
April 27th, 2018, 01:03 AM

They'll just give up on a sedan for police fleets like plenty of departments have done since the Explorer PI came out.

drew
April 27th, 2018, 02:46 AM
They have the Malibu as well.

TheBenior
April 27th, 2018, 03:31 AM
The Malibu isn't marketed towards police departments at all.

Godson
April 27th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Everyone around here is either chargers, or explorer PI. A majority is in the Explorer.

dodint
April 27th, 2018, 05:23 AM
The Malibu isn't marketed towards police departments at all.

The Marine Corps kindly rebukes this assertion.

pl8ster
April 27th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Everyone around here is either chargers, or explorer PI. A majority is in the Explorer.

Seems like just about every police vehicle in the State of Maine is an Explorer or PI. I think my town actually has civilian Explorers, I imagine the savings over a PI is probably substantial but that surprises me. They just look weird with their alloy wheels and police paint job.

So I guess the new Ecosport (pronounced "ecco sport" in the ads, ugh) is supposed to replace the Fiesta, it looks like it's not much larger.

XHawkeye
April 27th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Here’s when Ford will end production of its cars:
-May 2018: Focus
-March 2019: Taurus
-May 2019: Fiesta
Fusion will stick around for at least a couple more years. Focus Active will be imported from China starting in mid-2019.

https://twitter.com/MikeMartinez_AN/status/989621682397761546

Crazed_Insanity
April 27th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I'm surprised Focus got axed 1st and Fiestas the last... I'd think that's the better seller of the 3? Probably some union contract thing...

tigeraid
April 27th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Most of the Ontario Provincial Police rigs are Fords too. Guess they'll have to go all Explorers or Chargers.

FaultyMario
April 27th, 2018, 01:15 PM
I guess Now would be a good time to sell those (F) stocks i didn't buy in november of '08.

Freude am Fahren
April 27th, 2018, 08:56 PM
I'm guessing the Focus has the largest currently unsold inventory. I can't imagine it's not the best selling of the three.

Or it could be the date of an already planned shutdown/retooling, which would now be pointless.

Drachen596
April 27th, 2018, 10:07 PM
City police here are Impalas. County was testing both Chargers and the Ford PI sedan. State seem to be switching from Vics to Chargers.
Wonder if they just lost all their Police Fleet sedan sales after stopping the Crown Victorias.

Its a good thing the F-150 sells so many. This is a very odd strategy from Ford. Do they have a bunch of hybrid/EV cars they're working on that no one knows about?

Dicknose
April 27th, 2018, 10:40 PM
C
This is a very odd strategy from Ford. Do they have a bunch of hybrid/EV cars they're working on that no one knows about?
Sounds like this is about body shape, not drivetrain.

TheBenior
April 28th, 2018, 04:10 AM
City police here are Impalas. County was testing both Chargers and the Ford PI sedan. State seem to be switching from Vics to Chargers.
Wonder if they just lost all their Police Fleet sedan sales after stopping the Crown Victorias.
Ford had a 75% share of the police vehicle market back in 2002, but the only remotely competitive option for a sedan was there Impala (sorry Intrepid), and those were still hands down inferior to the CVPI from a durability standpoint.

Ford's police market share hit a low of 38% after the CVPI was discontinued, but some of that drop was probably due to departments loading up on them in 2011 before production stopped.

Ford's police market share is up to 61%, with Explorers making up something like 51% of the overall market (the other 10% is a mix of Fusions for detectives, Taurus PIs, F-150s, Transits, and Expeditions). If they'll lose any sales due to not having sedans, it won't be many. The Caprice died with the Holden Elizabeth plant, and there is no more pursuit rated Impala. That leaves the Charger for pursuit rated sedans, but it's never been great on back seat room, and isn't made in the US, which matters for some government buyers.