PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk 2077

Rare White Ape
August 28th, 2018, 04:46 AM
CD Projekt Red has finally released footage of the behind-closed-doors E3 2018 demo of Cyberpunk 2077. A whole 48 minutes of it.

https://youtu.be/vjF9GgrY9c0

It’s looking real nice.

I have some random thoughts, though:

1) I’m kinda hoping that this is pushed back into the next console generation and polished up to match. It will be a great excuse to jump in and adopt the next PS or XB early.

2) The game reminds me of the opening hour of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided a bit too much.

3) In fact, it feels like the Cyberpunk universe could exist within the Deus Ex universe and it would be nearly seamless.

4) Is everyone in the future extremely cool and fashionable, and do they all have snide attitudes?

5) I’m concerned that the city doesn’t appear to be as large and diverse as they seem to be hyping it up to be. It looks like a heap of samey backlots and garbage-filled corridors, connected by empty streets and neon hubs.

6) But the character design is just tremendous. Check out that gang boss who’s had the top half of his face removed to make way for that optical augmentation.

I can’t wait to see more, though. I’m definitely interested in this game.

Blerpa
August 28th, 2018, 06:12 AM
"4) Is everyone in the future extremely cool and fashionable, and do they all have snide attitudes?"

That has always been one of the main points of the original tabletop RPG: you have to be cool, trendy and fuck anyone else for your own sake.

Rare White Ape
August 30th, 2019, 03:35 PM
MOAR CYBERPUNK

https://youtu.be/FknHjl7eQ6o

Alan P
September 18th, 2020, 02:51 PM
I thought we had a thread here!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EiNd95-WAAAyFrm?format=png&name=4096x4096
PC minimum and recommended specs have been released and they're......lower than I expected.

Blerpa
September 18th, 2020, 04:46 PM
With no RTX included in the count, I firmly believe.
So take the Recommended and rise them by double the power to have the required power for max settings, still without RTX.
I should be fine anyway with the Ryzen 3600 and the 2070 Super on a 1080p 21:9 monitor.

Rare White Ape
October 17th, 2020, 12:51 PM
What do we have here?

https://youtu.be/Ju2FelCv9zk

Kchrpm
October 17th, 2020, 01:50 PM
I like how so many of the cars looks just like 1977 cars with 100 years of catalog parts thrown on.

Phil_SS
October 18th, 2020, 07:02 AM
I’ll be honest. I kinda wanna play it just for the cars.

Godson
October 18th, 2020, 04:06 PM
So like, a futuristic GTA?

Rare White Ape
November 20th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Here are updated PC system specs for running the game in various settings configs.

Do the math and see if your PC can run it.

I'll be trying to see if RT Ultra can run on my i5/2070 at 1080p. I'd be happy with that at 60fps.

https://www.miastogier.pl/baza/Encyklopedia/gry/News/20.11.2020/nws_cyberpunk2077wymaganiasprzetowe.jpg

Blerpa
November 20th, 2020, 03:24 PM
I'm on Ryzen 3600, 16GB 3600Mhz, 2070 Super and 1080p 21:9... I'm going to target Ultra detail and RT between Minimum and High, I reckon.
I'm wondering if the NVMe game install will particularly help with loading times in this precise game. I'm glad there's Dolby Atmos available.

EDIT: unfortunately the list does not declares what is the minimum target fps for those tiers; I'd love to be 60 fps, I worry it could be prehistorical 30 fps.
Also, surprised the game install will only take 70GB, allegedly at least. I expected around 90-110GB.

Rare White Ape
November 20th, 2020, 03:56 PM
An SSD will definitely help with environment streaming in the open world bits, I'm not sure an NVMe will give any further advantage.

And is Dolby Atmos worth it? I can download the app on Windows to use with headphones (apparently for free since I have Game Pass).

Yw-slayer
November 20th, 2020, 05:10 PM
The amount of hype and odd (not necessarily bad) branded peripherals is astounding.

Rare White Ape
November 20th, 2020, 05:16 PM
My favourite was the Cyberpunk RTX 2080 Ti

An undoubtedly cool and desirable piece of kit.

But fully outdated before the game even launched :lol:

Rare White Ape
November 21st, 2020, 02:31 PM
Automated lip synch for every character and NPC, in every language that the audio was recorded :up:

Though not as good as fully hand-animated facial expressions or performance capture.

The question is, which language do you want to play it in...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa3_Mfqu8KA

drew
December 9th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Supposedly unlocking in 11 minutes. May fire it up for the intro, but doubt I'll give it too much of a go tonight.

That said, I've some how managed to miss ALL "gameplay", videos, reviews, etc this whole time. I honestly have no goddamn clue what this game is about. And I like that.

Rare White Ape
December 9th, 2020, 03:07 PM
:cool:

(I bought the physical PC version that comes with the day 1 goodies like the console version does, which meant I had to wait until the shop opened before I could pick it up, and I started my download at 10am on launch day)

https://i.imgur.com/6bQrCxG.png

Rare White Ape
December 9th, 2020, 07:21 PM
C Y B E R P U N K

https://i.imgur.com/jz8QLmb.png

drew
December 10th, 2020, 02:41 AM
I created a character and then signed off. I'll piss around with it later.

I chose the Nomad (?) "path".

Rare White Ape
December 10th, 2020, 02:59 AM
Six hours in and it’s like Deus Ex Human Revolution in an open world, and Deus Ex did it better… so far.

But this has swords and they’re fucking fantastic to use. And also boobs.

BEWBS…

There’s a story in there apparently but I haven’t been able to parse it yet. The characters seem to mumble and use overly cool jargon and you just go along with it and pick whatever random dialogue option you think fits. Is there any effect to this? Who knows? Why am I here?

I’m pretty sure the three starting options condense into the one story line after the second hour anyway. I picked the street kid option.

So far I’ve tried to steal a car then got arrested and met a dude and got new eyeballs then met another dude and he drove me across town then I went to a nightclub that looks like a strip joint from the outside and met the hot green-haired Hispanic girl from the trailers and watched a robbery of a convenience store from the perp’s eyes then snooped around an apartment for a freezer.

I can see the potential with it but right now it’s not grabbing me by the bewbs. I will stick with it, however I feel the biggest barrier is my own inability to empathise with the characters who are giving me missions and driving the story. Games like this have rarely been able to grab me; even GTA has been difficult to absorb and if it wasn’t for that game’s hilarious slapstick freedom then I doubt I would’ve finished their storylines.

We shall see. But game of the year this definitely isn’t. If you haven’t already bought it then wait until it’s patched, or you get a new console or GPU.

Kchrpm
December 10th, 2020, 04:34 AM
I'm waiting for it to be heavily discounted on Stadia, so I don't have to worry about downloading a terabyte of patches every month. They're already offering basically $100 in hardware free if you buy it, but it's the same hardware I just got for free as a Google One subscriber.

Tom Servo
December 10th, 2020, 08:37 AM
https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167349/cyberpunk-2077-penis-glitch-breasts

GreatScawt
December 10th, 2020, 01:07 PM
I absolutely want to play this but I'll be waiting until next year when I can get my hands on the latest GPUs and CPUs. And possibly a couple patches from CDPR.

drew
December 11th, 2020, 01:57 AM
After a few hours, one thing is apparent. This needs mods. My #1 bitch about games in this genre: NPC bullet sponges. 5 headshots to kill one (or more, can't wait to see what it takes in later stages of the game)....

Graphically, I though it looked a little, well, shit. But turning off Chromatic Aberration, film grain (really?!) and the ridiculous lens flare, seemed to make it "nice". I also turned down motion blur which helped.

Still a lot to unwrap. Still trying to sort out the inventory and skills upgrade systems.

Rare White Ape
December 11th, 2020, 02:01 AM
I encountered an annoying bug which some might be unaware of. Spoilers, obviously, but it comes early-ish in the game as you're descending out of Kopecki Plaza when the building is on full lockdown.

So:

You make your way towards some elevator shafts to escape the building, but the elevator you're meant to use is locked out by a key card. The enemy carrying it is supposed to come up via that elevator and burst out of it and shoot at you. On my first playthrough the enemy wasn't visible at all, and the key card thing wasn't clearly explained. I loaded an auto save from a few minutes beforehand and got to that point again. When the elevator opened the enemy was there but stationary and glitching in and out of existence. You can still shoot him and loot his corpse for the key card.

I thought I'd let people know in case they're having an issue like I did. Basically to fix it just re-load a recent auto save and you might be in luck.

Rare White Ape
December 11th, 2020, 02:05 AM
Still trying to sort out the inventory and skills upgrade systems.

Oh yeah, the UI there is terrible.

I've lost count of the number of times I have had to dig through the gun inventory when looking for one particular weapon that I accidentally moved into the armoury in the apartment.

drew
December 11th, 2020, 08:16 AM
Having played/modded games for decades, this one is screaming for mods.

They had a huge modding community for Witcher 3, I can only assume they'll follow suit with this one.

As mentioned, I'd be content with a mod right now, that only modified head shot damage to about 100X what it is now. If they're wearing a helmet/mask, that should offer some resistance. But if you shoot them in the face at point blank with a shotgun, you shouldn't have to pull the trigger twice.

Rare White Ape
December 11th, 2020, 11:57 AM
Yep. As per the norm these days to increase difficulty they have subbed-in bullet sponge damage in the place of interesting and tactical AI.

I guess that’s why I’ve taken a liking to rushing in with a katana. I’m going for a noisy play style anyway so I might as well run around and turn it into a head removal factory while the guards lose their shit.

drew
December 11th, 2020, 01:20 PM
In fact, it shits so bad on gameplay for me, I may wait until mods ARE available, if for no other reason to fix this bullshit.

Rare White Ape
December 11th, 2020, 11:42 PM
I googled, I saw, I delivered!

https://www.google.com/search?q=cyberpunk+mods&oq=CYBERPUNK+MODS&aqs=chrome.0.0i324i457j0i324l2j0l2j0i22i30l3.2819j 0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Looks like people are already working on it.

drew
December 12th, 2020, 03:10 AM
Yeah, the first mods are always graphical tweaks and reshades. It will probably be a couple months before the real geniuses crack into it and offer mod tools, if CDPR doesn't just do it themselves.

AC Valhalla is the same thing. Within 2 days, it was all reshade "mods".

Out of morbid curiosity, I "ran" it on 4k.... total slide show with the 1080ti. But from what I've heard, this is the new "Crysis". I saw one reviewer with a 3090 and they got <30fps average. :lol:

It runs fine for me at 2k with almost everything "Ultra", but I have to run it in borderless-window. At full screen (on the 43" a foot away) the 2k zoomed to fill the giant screen makes my eyes bleed after about three minutes.

Yobbo NZ
December 12th, 2020, 02:41 PM
I'm getting really really pissed at my mate Jackie. Here I am sneaking around this bloody tower, full of Japanese gang members, and this dickhead charges straight in to fight them.
Oi, dickhead, I'm trying to use my powers here to manipulate things and not get killed.

Had a few freeze crashes also on the One X. I've turned all the graphics junk to off, but they still look like a game from say 5 years ago. Lots of black pixelated trails behind NPCs when you watch them walking etc.

Tom Servo
December 12th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Finally installed the other SSD (what else am I going to do while on the phone with my folks?), so I bit the bullet and bought it. Downloading now. Looking forward to complaining about gamebreaking bugs with the rest of you.

Rare White Ape
December 12th, 2020, 04:36 PM
Lots of black pixelated trails behind NPCs when you watch them walking etc.

That's from the temporal anti-aliasing, a modern image smoothing technique, and not limited to the Red Engine or CP2077. TAA needs at least one frame of data before it begins to work, and what you see is the artefact of that unclean initial frame. It is more noticeable at 30fps than it is at 60+ fps because the distance an object moves across the screen is in larger steps between each frame.

If you could turn the TAA off on console it would stop that problem right away, but you'd be left with inferior anti-aliasing or a horrible jaggy mess.

drew
December 13th, 2020, 12:46 AM
Finally installed the other SSD (what else am I going to do while on the phone with my folks?), so I bit the bullet and bought it. Downloading now. Looking forward to complaining about gamebreaking bugs with the rest of you.

That's the spirit!

Rare White Ape
December 13th, 2020, 03:09 AM
I had another good four-hour session today (what else am I going to do? I’ve already blasted through 7 seasons of the Clone Wars in 5 weeks) and I’ve decided I like the game… but:

The enemies are dumb as dogshit.

The inventory UI is terrible.

Weapon choice is down to DPS and… that’s it. As is picking and choosing which weapons to keep and which ones to turn into crafting parts.

Speaking of crafting, I’m up to chapter 2 and have done NO crafting whatsoever, so what’s the point of the system?

Quests are simply a matter of following the little yellow ‘go here’ marker, but it’s the same when doing missions too when you think about it.

So far I see little reason for applying skill points when all they do is modify damage dealt or received etc by tiny increments. I’m patient enough to draw out enemies one at a time in order to get a kill if needed. Usually getting headshots with a sufficiently powerful weapon is enough to drop a guy pretty quickly, bullet sponge problems notwithstanding.

I’ve driven a total of about 3km so far. The rest has been spent walking. The map might be massive but the city itself is very dense. I’m not sure if this a bad or a good thing yet.

So, all-in-all a very mixed bag of experiences here. As I mentioned earlier the previous closest game I played in terms of genre and setting was Deus Ex: Human Revolution almost a decade ago, and I’m pretty firmly of the belief that it did the whole cyberpunk thing way better. And that includes the politics and story aspects of the game too, believe it or not. I’m getting a hint of the whole “fuck corporations/capitalism/the government” thing from Johnny Silverhand but it’s not biting yet. Plus CDPR’s admittedly small issues with transphobia in the past is leaving a sour taste that runs against the grain of this game’s themes.

The old Deus Ex game had a much better balance of class choice than CP did, because it feels like you don’t need to be a tech head or net runner character to get anywhere special, whereas in DE:HR you really felt like large or enticing parts of the game were locked away from you if you didn’t have any hacking skills, and that sort of thing encourages repeated play-throughs or returning to early areas when you’re sufficiently skilled. The gun play was marginally better in that too, from what I remember.

I might actually wait until a few patches come through to improve a few of these things somewhat. The game is clearly still in beta.

However!

I just want to reiterate that slicing body parts off with a sword still kicks absolute arse!

Overall right now I think you’d have a better time if you played Human Revolution and GTA V while reading Transmetropolitan and drinking good whiskey.

Yw-slayer
December 13th, 2020, 07:01 AM
My colleague with an i9-9900 and a GTX3080 said gameplay is overrated but graphics are nuts and next-gen.

drew
December 13th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Ho/w does one scrap unwanted weapons? Assuming it's probably a skill I don't have yet.

I've just been selling them, keeping a handgun, rifle, and long range, highest DPS for each.

Tom Servo
December 13th, 2020, 10:10 AM
I appreciate the optimism, but I'm surprised the game defaulted to Ultra at 4K. My poor GTX 1080 just started openly weeping as it struggled to pump out 5 frames a second.

Runs great at 1080 on High, though. Not many big bugs so far, though I did enjoy my companion trying to walk through the bodies I left lying around, dribbling them like soccer balls through the room.

drew
December 13th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Brian, do you have a ti? I'm running it on default settings on 1440 and it runs smooth.

I disabled Motion Blur, Chrome Abber, Film grain. It looks better, don't know if it actually changed any performance...

Tom Servo
December 13th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Nope, non-Ti, just a normal GTX 1080.

Rare White Ape
December 13th, 2020, 12:13 PM
Try the settings baselines as described in this video:

https://youtu.be/pC25ambD8vs

Settings are listed in the video description too:

Standard Optimised Settings

Contact Shadows: On
Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
Local Shadow Quality High
Cascaded Shadows Range: High
Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Medium
Distant Shadows Resolution: High
Volumetric Fog Resolution: 1080p Ultra, 1440p High, 4K Medium
Volumetric Cloud Quality: Medium
Max Dynamic Decals: Ultra
Screen Space Reflections Quality: Low but High if you find the amount of grain distracting.
Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: Low (there is barely a difference)
Colour Precision: Medium
Mirror Quality: 1080p High. 1440p High, 4K Medium
Level of Detail: High

Recommended Ray Tracing Settings

Ray Traced Reflections: On
Ray Traced Shadows: Off
Ray Traced Lighting: Medium
If that is not enough for you, Turn off reflections - the RT lighting is more important, on balance.

Image Quality Recommendations: 1080p DLSS Quality, 1440p, DLSS Balanced, 4K, DLSS Performance

Rare White Ape
December 13th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Ho/w does one scrap unwanted weapons? Assuming it's probably a skill I don't have yet.

I've just been selling them, keeping a handgun, rifle, and long range, highest DPS for each.

Inventory menu hold Z. It’s a quick way to free up carrying capacity if you’re in the middle of a mission and can’t visit a shop.

drew
December 13th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Nice!

Found one potential work-around for bullet sponges, sniper rifle to the face. IT's working so far. Even though, technically, the pistol I have has a higher DPS (wtf)

MR2 Fan
December 13th, 2020, 03:46 PM
Haven't bought this yet, not sure if I'll buy it soon or wait a while

Tom Servo
December 13th, 2020, 05:35 PM
I'm liking it a lot so far, but I'm only a few hours in. I definitely see what RWA is saying about the quests being the "follow the yellow marker" though. It would have been fun if there was some better way of doing wayfinding where you could explore more, most of the time I just feel like I'm told "now walk over here and wait a few".

drew
December 14th, 2020, 01:05 AM
I'm just going through the "starter" area of NC doing the vigilante type stiff (going to assaults), trying to get some "perks" etc that way.

It's typically how I play games with character level up. I try to do all the little side shit ahead of time, and then go through the stortyline, with the last mission of the story being the last thing I do to complete everything. That way the end credit scroll truly is "the end" (before I play though again modding the shit out of it).

Tom Servo
December 14th, 2020, 07:49 AM
I should do that too, I just hit the point with Cyberpunk that I have hit with almost every high profile game of the past however many years. Following the storyline and get to a boss fight where it seems like I'm completely underpowered and have no clue what the trick is to winning, so now I'm just frustrated and annoyed.

drew
December 14th, 2020, 08:37 AM
With the last three AC games, I did the vast majority of exploring/collecting, to the point that stuff I couldn't get to was because it was locked behind a campaign mission. I'd get to a point, and the mission would go like " can you go here and [whatever]" and one of my responses would be "already did it!" Usually days/weeks after I did it and I didn't remember.

Rare White Ape
December 14th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Bruh.

I feel so sorry for anyone stuck having to play the game at this level of quality this Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWJPYKCMco&ab_channel=DigitalFoundry

TheBenior
December 15th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Good thing I have a PS4 backlog that can last me until I get a PS5 in 1-2 years.

Yw-slayer
December 15th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Bruh, I have a 500+ game backlog

drew
December 16th, 2020, 03:46 AM
I tend to buy a game and play the shit out of it over a month or two, then move on to the next. Not sure I've really got a "Backlog" per se.

MR2 Fan
December 17th, 2020, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcJrH3w75s

Rare White Ape
December 17th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Wowee

That’s pretty huge news.

Tom Servo
December 17th, 2020, 09:45 PM
Found out my neighbor is playing it on PS4. She's really enjoying it, despite the bugs/performance issues. Makes it hard to tell what the ratio is between the loud complainers and the people just playing.

That said, Sony probably has detailed metrics of how many people bought the game and how much time they've played vs. how many have requested refunds, so they likely don't find it hard to tell.

I restarted the game in the hopes to not find myself stuck again. We'll see how it goes.

drew
December 17th, 2020, 11:28 PM
I'm enjoying it, but then I'm on PC and haven't really noticed any huge issues (the occasional graphical glitch, but nothing prompting me to rage quit, file a congressional inquiry and go to the supreme court for $60.

My biggest two "complaints" are within the game play itself:

1: Headbob. I. Fucking. Hate/. Headbob.
2: The shitty "dim/blacken screen edge when crouching" thing. Fuck that.

I sincerely hope these are two things "rectified" by mods in the near future.

Rare White Ape
December 18th, 2020, 12:34 AM
I didn't notice the head bob, and it hasn't really annoyed me before.

But I do hate the vignetting while crouching. Fuck that.

But one thing I do like is that my (female) avatar can go up to any willing lady of the night and go for a quick session of the old one-on-one for a mere $100. I did have to test that out for, erm... gameplay reasons... yeah.

Rare White Ape
December 18th, 2020, 12:44 AM
Update on Cyberpunkgate 2020:

CDPR spoke with Sony prior to the games's removal from the PS Store.

Following our discussion with PlayStation, a decision was made to temporarily suspend distribution of Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation Store. You can still buy physical versions of the game in brick and mortar stores and online. All purchased digital and physical copies of the game will continue to receive support and updates as we continue to improve your experience.

According to our knowledge, starting today, everyone who is not willing to wait for updates and wants to refund their digital copy of the game, can do so by submitting a request at https://www.playstation.com/cyberpunk-2077-refunds/.

We are working hard to bring Cyberpunk 2077 back to PlayStation Store as soon as possible.

Sounds like it was a move made purely to alleviate the strain on PlayStation customer support, not as a way 'protect' the good standing of games made available on PlayStation. I mean, they allowed Life Of Black Tiger and Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI&ab_channel=PlayStation) to be distributed via the store a few years ago, so the quality of games released is fully up to the publisher and developer.

drew
December 18th, 2020, 04:42 AM
I didn't notice the head bob, and it hasn't really annoyed me before.

But I do hate the vignetting while crouching. Fuck that.

But one thing I do like is that my (female) avatar can go up to any willing lady of the night and go for a quick session of the old one-on-one for a mere $100. I did have to test that out for, erm... gameplay reasons... yeah.

I, ashamedly, have not gotten that tested yet (for science!). I need to see if you can get a GTA-style "refund" as well.

Yobbo NZ
December 18th, 2020, 03:25 PM
I'm enjoying it, but then I'm on PC and haven't really noticed any huge issues (the occasional graphical glitch, but nothing prompting me to rage quit, file a congressional inquiry and go to the supreme court for $60.

My biggest two "complaints" are within the game play itself:

1: Headbob. I. Fucking. Hate/. Headbob.
2: The shitty "dim/blacken screen edge when crouching" thing. Fuck that.

I sincerely hope these are two things "rectified" by mods in the near future.

Found how to turn off headbob.
Turn additive camera motions to off.
That fixed it on Xbox.

Rare White Ape
December 18th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Holy shitballs this is the largest refund scheme I've ever seen, outside of total product recalls.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-18-sony-pulls-cyberpunk-2077-from-the-playstation-store

Now Microsoft is in on the action, offering to refund any digital purchases (while not delisting the game entirely like Sony did). Additional to this, CDPR is going in to assist anyone who has been unsuccessful in obtaining a refund for a physical copy from their retailer, even going as far as to refund from their own expenses if they need to.

Meanwhile PC players are having an okay time with it.

I can see a lot of soul searching going on in the near future. Perhaps CDPR would have been wise to release this on next-gen machines only. Or, better yet, keep themselves in check a bit better, because I reckon there's nothing in this game that couldn't have been done just as successfully in the PS3/X360 era, apart from the visual fidelity they ended up aiming for.

If you compare this to GTA V, for example, the environments are similar, as in they're large cities with extended countryside surrounding them. They have pedestrians and traffic systems, as well as interactions with police and other gangs, shops, vending machines, physics, etc. The mission structure is similar: you go to point A, drive a car to point B, clear warehouse full of enemies, do the thing, then go to point C, etc.

The only differences I see are the underlying RPG system, and that this is CDPR's first try at a bustling urban environment. I think that if Rockstar North developed this, it would be a much more polished game because they're experienced hands at this sort of gameplay and they know what works and what doesn't.

Tom Servo
December 18th, 2020, 07:14 PM
I was thinking that, too. At least so far, there's nothing in here that feels revolutionary, it's like a mashup of other genres. I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary, mostly just hoping for one of those games that manages to get the mix right.

Wonder if this'll be another No Man's Sky.

drew
December 18th, 2020, 09:20 PM
Yobbo, awesome!

Apparently CDPR just dropped an 18GB "patch" on consoles. Jesus.

Blerpa
December 19th, 2020, 12:57 PM
Novigrad in The Witcher 3 is a better bustling urban environment than Night City in Cyberpunk 2077.
Signed, a truly disappointed player of Cyberpunk 2077... graphic bugs aside so far the game to me is an average, and maybe too generous, 7.
Disappointing FPS handling, many awkward design choices (no full rebindable keys, no multi controller system - like k+m for fps parts and joypad for vehicle driving, stupid vignetting while crouching, no running when in Scan mode), confusing menu (they are terrible IMHO), confusing visuals with very poorly recognizable and small icons on screen, too much fake text and icons all around, no real cyberpunk genre themes (this is as cyberpunk as Pearl Harbour from Michael Bay is an historical movie), graphics when RTX is turned off are blurry and grainy (even after deactivating film grain, motion blur and Chromatic Aberration - 3 POS settings of modern games. Even activating Sharpening in nVidia control center doesn't help much), seems the rpg part is just "max out everything, just choose some dialogue stuff since it does not really matter in the end what you choose and in combat just go for the weapon with the highest DPS", there is no character and vehicle customization *after* the character creation screen, you cannot even get an haircut or a different hair colour in the game.
AI truly sucks arse while police is devs godmode cheat galore.

It truly feels like "The Witcher 3 neon vapourware future in first person, but with less decent dialogues and with many features cut out of the original game".

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2020, 01:19 PM
A Blerp Rant that we can all agree with :D

I was waiting for your input here!

Tom Servo
December 19th, 2020, 04:42 PM
I guess I'll have to try witcher 3 again, I had a hard time getting into it.

Tom Servo
December 19th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Playing Drew's style is helping, my restart is going much better now that I'm just focusing on side missions. My favorite bug so far was Regina calling me, then spawning where I was. I had this ponytail flicking in and out of my vision, then finally moved and saw her talking to me both in person and over video chat. Another enjoyable one was restarting in a market area, and as soon as it finished loading, I watched dozens of people sit down at the same time.

One annoying thing that is not unique to this game: I get into a firefight and then at some point someone starts hitting me with overheat hacks. The game pops up a helpful message to tell me all about what it is and how to deal with it. However, I AM CURRENTLY BEING SHOT AT AND THE MESSAGE GOES AWAY AFTER A COUPLE OF SECONDS!!

So, yeah. No idea how to deal with that. When did game designers decide that we're all fine pulling out a pamphlet mid-firefight and just eating bullets while we read up on what the hell is going on?

Yobbo NZ
December 20th, 2020, 01:14 AM
Overheat is caused by a net runner hacking you. Their symbol is different to the normal AI you face.
There is a perk later I think that will highlight the netrunner hacking you, making them easier to find.
I had to google that, as I was getting frustrated with this heat damage out of no where.
Sounds like they use cameras etc like you can.

Rare White Ape
December 20th, 2020, 05:41 AM
Euuuuuurrrrrrrrghhhhhh

This problem appears to be PC specific.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpnlfqlWMAAVqYz?format=jpg&name=large

MR2 Fan
December 20th, 2020, 08:50 AM
so I'm glad I haven't tried to buy this game yet...geez

drew
December 21st, 2020, 03:28 AM
The overheat attacks are annoying as fuck.

Guess I should see how big the save file is now....

Beyond that, I've only experienced one crash in about 60hrs of play. A few graphical issues here and there, but nothing as rampant as what's been reported.

I just want to see this game with RTX....

Tom Servo
December 23rd, 2020, 06:14 PM
1.06 fixes the 8mb savegame limit. It's not retroactive, but I don't think anybody here hit that limit already.

I can't imagine why they made a system that has a size limit but an unbounded size savegame file, but putting that aside, 8mb? That seems ludicrously low for a game this size.

Yw-slayer
December 23rd, 2020, 11:18 PM
Because 64KB RAM should be enough for anyone, yo.

drew
December 24th, 2020, 09:19 AM
I removed the film grain in settings as soon as I knew what it was. That said, things were still "speckled" and it drove me nuts. Google to the rescue: disable Screen Space Reflections, and voila, no more bullshit "noise" on graphics.

While some call this an exploit, or even a cheat, I consider it a time-saver. Read on for "money"

You can sell, and re-buy anything, multiple times. Go to a drop point, sell whatever you want, exit the drop point menu, then enter the drop point (whichever key/pad you use) and open the menu at the same time. If done right, you will have a curved UI screen. Now you can go and re-buy whatever you sold, repeatedly. Example, say you have 20 Nicola cans. You can re-buy the 20 (at the MSRP of 10 gamebucks a shot), and do so until you're balance is empty (it still charges you, so it's not really a cheat).

Now, you can dismantle said cans for common and uncommon components. Then sell the components. You will tap out the account on the drop point before you sell everything, so you can just use more drop points.

I don't feel the least bit guilty about this, as grinding in games has always pissed me off, also, you're not doing it for free, since you pay for all your re-buys. Along those lines, if you have Keanu Reeves' legendary album, you can re-buy it, and scrap it for epic/legendary crafting components. This will take a shitton of cash though. They're 600 each, and sell for 21 (lol). I sell and re-buy per 100. But, after a few rounds of both of of these, you shouldn't ahe to worry too much about money, or components, which I see as the main time sink: collecting.

Now, what IS fairly cheaty, but again, a time saver to me:
Once you get to level 18, and can equip the Berserk OS, you can initiate it, start a melee move (swing a sword/etc) and hit the menu/pause button while in that motion. You will gain Athletics XP the whole time you're in the menu. So, you can walk away for a few minutes, have dinner, etc, and come back and you'll have your athletics leveled up, at least to what your "Body" level is.

Tom Servo
December 30th, 2020, 01:50 PM
Now that I restarted and followed Drew's advice, I'm actually really enjoying this game. I haven't had much in the way of bugs that aren't just funny, and the whole thing reminds me of a dystopian-rather-than-apocalyptic Fallout with a wider color palette. A lot of the cityscape/architecture looks really cool as well. Maybe it's because I didn't follow much of the hype so I didn't have really high expectations, but it's scratching the Bethesda-style first-person RPG itch for me quite nicely.

I am really fucking tired of a lot of the in-game characters pestering me with used car sales pitches, though.

drew
December 30th, 2020, 03:42 PM
I finally got around to progressing in the story. I spent the first 90hours doing all the Assault in progress/etc. I did the first Takemura mission at level 50...

Now I'm finding that NPCs are bullet sponges again, and I get 1 or 2 shot killed constantly, despite having "1000+" armor. The armor is well and truly fucked. I watched a video of someone comparing armor versus no armor, no armor took twice as many shots at the same level by the same NPC. So, wtf.

As an aside, someone made a "Crouch" mod that removes that goddamn vignette screen effect bullshit. It's a start.

The other annoying thing about the car sales, they show up as "jobs" on the map, which clutters it up if you're trying to find some actual quests. Short of buying them all to rid the map of them (takes about 2M CP bucks), hopefully someone makes a new filter/mod for it.

Rare White Ape
December 30th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Yeah I've decided to clear the current backlog of games before I get back into this.

I'm finishing HL:Alyx and SW:Squadrons first and I've also started Deliver Us The Moon which looks super intriguing and Hyrule Warriors, which I was really excited for but have only played a few hours of so far. And Outer Wilds just came up for sale on Steam and I really should have played that a year ago.

Tom Servo
December 30th, 2020, 05:20 PM
I removed the film grain in settings as soon as I knew what it was. That said, things were still "speckled" and it drove me nuts. Google to the rescue: disable Screen Space Reflections, and voila, no more bullshit "noise" on graphics.

OMG, thank you. I couldn't figure out why everyone was so impressed with the graphics in this, it all looked sorta mushy. It is so much better with that turned off.

drew
December 31st, 2020, 12:26 PM
I have Deliver us the Moon in my Steam queue, may pull the trigger on it this weekend.

CudaMan
January 1st, 2021, 05:08 PM
Bring Me The Horizon's more ambitious alter ego?

MR2 Fan
January 1st, 2021, 06:58 PM
ok I decided to go ahead and buy Cyberpunk for PC, got about 5-6 hours in so far...

Overall it's pretty but feels clunky compared to Rockstar games so far. I'm starting to wonder if part of it is because it's entirely first person view (save for driving where it's optional).

There's a LOT that is missing that I expected like car customization, stuff like that, and so far the hacking part seems to be more of a pain than straight up combat, but that's probably just me.

Blerpa
January 2nd, 2021, 03:04 PM
Game is an empty shell with obsolete mechanics.
Also, all the npcs and cars that populate the town are totally scripted and appear from nowhere.
GTAV, Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Yakuza games, Red Dead Redemption 2 and many other games have done it better.

Yobbo NZ
January 2nd, 2021, 03:28 PM
It really does feel like a game made in 2010, with remastered graphics.
Wait.....

Rare White Ape
January 2nd, 2021, 05:02 PM
Game is an empty shell with obsolete mechanics.

Only a cool analytical mind would be able to come to this conclusion - one that's not soaked in the zesty juices of the hype train.

Which is why I found it amusing that people in GOTY comments sections this week were praising CP77 alongside MS Flight Simulator for being the only two really next-gen games to come out in 2020, simply based on the fact that they pushed the hardware to extreme limits.

There was no mention of praise for pushing the art of video games through innovative gameplay mechanics or new technologies or great story telling. That's because CP77 doesn't do any of those things. It just maxes out the CPU and GPU of the hardware it runs on. Next gen baybeee.

Tom Servo
January 2nd, 2021, 05:30 PM
I'm still enjoying the heck out of it.

drew
January 3rd, 2021, 07:42 AM
I'm just going through the story/side missions now. I'll restart anew when I'm done and go for a different ending/skill build.

MR2 Fan
January 4th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Third person mod has potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixILRon7hs

Rare White Ape
January 4th, 2021, 07:20 PM
I think it does too, but who's going to go through and add suitable animations for every situation? Have you seen the swimming animation? :lol:

It will be more workable when the multiplayer mode is released, because then CDPR will have done all that animation work themselves.

drew
January 5th, 2021, 02:27 AM
The only thing about multiplayer that would interest me, is coop play. Co-op on a hooker.

MR2 Fan
January 5th, 2021, 10:54 AM
The saga of this game's development woes would make a great documentary.

I honestly didn't realize it was planned for 7 years. It feels so much worse when I realized that.

MR2 Fan
January 5th, 2021, 03:44 PM
BTW if anyone's interested, here's a very good rundown of why this game doesn't live up to expectations (even lower ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CymqHdNYkg

Having said that, I am enjoying the game for what it is, and maybe we'll get more content and more features later on.

Yw-slayer
January 5th, 2021, 07:26 PM
I honestly didn't realize it was planned for 7 years. It feels so much worse when I realized that.

Wait till you see the reaction to Winds of Winter. lol

Rare White Ape
January 5th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Wait till you see the reaction to Winds of Winter. lol

Oh yeah I can't wait to see what the online 'fan' community will have to say about the book.

Yw-slayer
January 6th, 2021, 07:48 AM
"Like OMMMGGGG WHY DID HE NOT FOLLOW THE *ACTUAL* ENDING!!!!"

Rare White Ape
January 14th, 2021, 11:08 PM
Here's what CDPR was doing instead of, you know, making sure the game was good and stable on last-gen consoles.

Pretty cool tho. It's a tune from the Witcher III soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guRgoyj-sgw&ab_channel=SaltySelendrile

MR2 Fan
January 16th, 2021, 02:55 PM
It does seem their priorities for the game were WAAAY out of whack...I'm sorry to keep harping on this, but not sure how they screw things up this badly...I'm hoping in 6 months we'll get a better version of the game with patches, etc.

Rare White Ape
January 16th, 2021, 03:10 PM
I’m of the mind that we will never see a last-gen console version that runs acceptably well on the base model systems. Not without almost rebuilding every system in the game, right down to the lighting effects. Their biggest hurdle is data streaming from the hard disk.

Unfortunately they have got themselves painted into a corner by having to support the game for all consoles for years to come, and that has got to be expensive.

Tom Servo
January 16th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Just wanted to say that this game looks fucking bonkers on an RTX 3080. Carry on.

drew
January 17th, 2021, 05:31 AM
I've decided that I will re-visit when (if?) the 3090 arrives. Currently playing Hitman 2, because, why not.

I will say though, when you start CP2077 with all abilities and skills maxed out (plus multiple skill points dumped in the "lvl 20 required' bonus, you are a one-shot, head-popping machine. This applies to any gun in your hands.
It's still fucking hilarious to me to Cyberpsychosis someone in a group, with the hacking skills maxed out, it actually chains to someone else in the ping group. After a 30 second cool down, I hit someone else not affected by it.

In the end, you've got 7-8 NPC baddies all shooting/fighting/stabbing each other. Last one standing then puts a bullet in their own brainpan. Maybe I'm psycho, but that shit puts me in tears of laughter. It reminds me of the scene in RoboCop (the original), when the prototype wiped out all the technicians, then brain-drilled itself.

I will say that the legendary Ping is utterly ridiculous. Added with legendary contagion, you can wipe out a whole building before even setting foot inside. Short circuit is probably the next best one. Watching sparks/etc shoot from eyes and ears is pretty comical too.

Tom Servo
January 17th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Short Circuit is my go-to right now. One-shots most people and if I'm lucky enough that the place has a network of security cameras, I can just hop through them and remotely detonate people's heads. Overheat only if I'm waiting for the cooldown on Short Circuit and I need something immediately.

My ability with the handgun is pretty good as a backup, but right now I mostly just skulk around and blow people's heads up.

JSGeneral
January 17th, 2021, 12:38 PM
In the end, you've got 7-8 NPC baddies all shooting/fighting/stabbing each other. Last one standing then puts a bullet in their own brainpan. Maybe I'm psycho, but that shit puts me in tears of laughter. It reminds me of the scene in RoboCop (the original), when the prototype wiped out all the technicians, then brain-drilled itself...

That was one of the scenes in the first act of Robocop 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZq7fW6ftlU

drew
January 17th, 2021, 01:38 PM
Well, shit, maybe that's why I didn't remember, exactly. RoboCop 2 was absolute dogshit, barring that scene, and the "Thank you for not smoking" bit.

Yw-slayer
January 17th, 2021, 06:33 PM
I thought it was ok. The brainsmash at the end was good. 3 was horrific.

Tom Servo
January 26th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Patch 1.1 came out, supposedly fixed a bunch of bugs. It seems like it's fixed some of the more hilarious bugs, but introduced some game-breaking bugs for me. I'm starting to run into a semi-regular issue where I'll finish a side quest and I'll never get credit for it. Quest name still shows up on the right side of the screen but all the objectives are gone, and it shows up as a possible quest in the journal. Once you switch off of it, selecting the quest in the journal does nothing, but you also can't get rid of it. Reloading and re-doing the quest usually fixes it, but that's pretty annoying.

I also really wish they'd fix the "pick up items" UI because I often can't grab a specific item if there are more than one near each other and they really need to fix the minimap when driving.

drew
January 26th, 2021, 09:19 AM
I may shelf it for a bit and come back in a month or so.

Blerpa
January 26th, 2021, 10:40 AM
I may shelf it for a bit and come back in a month or so.

Even if they fix the bugs it's not like the game will change from the empty shell it is.
Good enough for sniping out people from distance or using hacks to make them explode, not much else.

drew
January 26th, 2021, 12:02 PM
I'll wait a bit, just to let the "luster" of the visuals fade in my memory, so when the new PC runs it, there may be some "nice" factor.

I played through it once, each run after this is cheating/modding my ass off.