PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Classic - another mini retro console that I MUST BUY but will NEVER PLAY

Rare White Ape
September 18th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Sony has just revealed the 49% smaller PlayStation Classic. It’ll be out on December 3rd for 99.99€ and come with two controllers and 20 games.

https://i-kinja--img-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HhXsBgNR--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cyshrvf9eqtuytl92kwe.jpg

https://youtu.be/YTYnNZRJscQ

The full games list is yet to be revealed but it’ll include Final Fantasy VII, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Tekken 3. I strongly doubt any flavour of Gran Turismo will be included, since the licensing deals for the old games will have well and truly expired, plus Polyphony has said previously, when asked about why they have never re-released their games on PSN, that they are not interested in revisiting their past games.

MR2 Fan
September 19th, 2018, 01:46 PM
IMO, too expensive for 20 games, and it's pretty easy to get most of the titles from the PS store anyway.

Also, unlike the NES and SNES games, PS1 games generally looked like crap due to the early 3D modeling and people might be surprised at how badly they've aged.

balki
September 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM
yeah, they may make your eyes bleed ;)

You'll get used the over ambitious 3D, but the PS2 and PS3 sold so well and are backwards compatible, don't see much of a market (plus these retro consoles work well where you can just jump in a game and not have to commit dozens of hours like on FFVII)

Rare White Ape
September 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Wii, WiiU and 3DS offered retro games via Virtual Console, yet both of Nintendo’s classic mini offerings sold by the truckload.

Initially they only offered one truckload but you know what I mean.

Anyway my opinion isn’t worth shit because I’ve pre ordered one already :P

MR2 Fan
September 21st, 2018, 10:52 AM
Wii, WiiU and 3DS offered retro games via Virtual Console, yet both of Nintendo’s classic mini offerings sold by the truckload.

Initially they only offered one truckload but you know what I mean.

Anyway my opinion isn’t worth shit because I’ve pre ordered one already :P

One difference, not sure if it matters to anyone else, is that the controllers on the newer Playstations isn't a TON different than the PS1, so downloading games from the store, it feels very similar.

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Here’s the full list of games, which has just been announced:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-line-up-of-20-games/

dodint
October 29th, 2018, 07:10 AM
I feel like Tony Hawks Pro Skater needed to be on that list for me to start considering this.

MR2 Fan
October 29th, 2018, 07:29 AM
It's a pretty good lineup, but inevitably there's going to be a lot of people saying "OMG, _______ game isn't included, so this is useless"

dodint
October 29th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Other notable omissions:

Gran Turismo (which we knew)
Silent Hill
Spyro
Tomb Raider
Twisted Metal 2

I mean, I know it was a different time back then, but I'm learning the names of 8 of those games today:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Mr. Driller
Rayman
Revelations: Persona
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Wild Arms

Filler.

MR2 Fan
October 29th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Full List:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

I think it's going to make Street Fighter fans mad that there's only the puzzle fighter game (I like the puzzle fighter game, so it's fine with me)

The games I liked from that list:

Final Fantasy VII
Intelligent Qube
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Ridge Racer Type 4
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Twisted Metal

So for me I could get some play out of it, but I want to wait and see what people think of it when they receive it. I'm a bit surprised there's no Crash Bandicoot...I was never a fan of those games but it was the mascot for a while

dodint
October 29th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Yeah, forgot to add Crash to the list. I read somewhere else that not including it would be like the mini NES not having a SMB game.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying this or any of the retro consoles. There were a few titles I would've liked to play again and might've bothered picking this up for and they weren't on the list. It missed me, looks like it might hit some other folks though.

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I’m putting the omission of Crash and Spyro down to the remasters being on the market - Activision wouldn’t want to dilute their existence.

And any game with licensed content such as Tony Hawk is an automatic strike, unfortunately. I’d love to see the original Wip3out on there but the music would nix that one too.

MR2 Fan
October 29th, 2018, 02:49 PM
or Wipeout XL/2097...aka the reason I bought the PS1 to begin with

Godson
October 29th, 2018, 03:58 PM
The Japanese game has a better list...

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I’m actually down for some Puzzle Fighter.

stephenb
November 27th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Doesn't look to promising: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-classic-emulation-first-look

MR2 Fan
November 27th, 2018, 09:56 AM
:smh:

Kchrpm
November 27th, 2018, 10:56 AM
This connects to the micro-console via USB. Powered by a mobile ARM chipset, the PlayStation Classic doesn't require much juice - you can power it using a micro USB phone charger, which is just as well as weirdly, there is no power adapter in the box. This is actually something of an issue as the unit is a little fussy about where it's plugged in - hooking it up to a USB 3.0 port on a PC didn't work, while plugging it into an HDTV was fine.
What the what?

Framerate discrepancies and performance issues apparently cause a lot of stuttering as well.

MR2 Fan
November 27th, 2018, 12:50 PM
this is starting to have "short sighted cash grab" written all over it

Rare White Ape
November 27th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Yep, the hardware will be sweet but the software seems to be lacking.

Oh well, the mod scene will fix that, I’d bet within a week we’ll have this thing cracked and playing games much better.

Rare White Ape
December 2nd, 2018, 06:22 PM
Yeeeeowch

https://youtu.be/UU0dn9pRKuw

Jason
December 2nd, 2018, 06:47 PM
Glad I spent $130 on an Nvidia Shield instead, Jesus. PS1 Emulation has been fantastic, and I can get whatever game I desire running on the thing. Only thing not working for me so far is rumble, but I don't really care that much, as I don't think the feature was that great on the PS1 anyways.

Rare White Ape
December 3rd, 2018, 05:43 PM
So I went and collected a unit yesterday. Took it home and set it up.

It’s totes cute, just like the NES & SNES classics. I’m glad the hardware exists - it looks great in the collection. Erm, I mean, my quagmire of assembled gaming systems.

I fired up Metal Gear Solid and I was instantly transported back to the late-90s and sneaking around a certain remote Alaskan archipelago once again.

For all the issues behind the software, you can’t beat that. The environment, score and the dialogue are so good. For a machine first sold in 1995 to do that would’ve blown people’s minds, coming out of the still-ripe 16-bit era.

I can’t speak for the other games, as I’ll give them a whirl during the week, but I’m keen to try out Destruction Derby and Ridge Racer 4 for the first time in my life :D

stephenb
December 4th, 2018, 05:05 AM
RRT4, I played the crap out of that back in the day. Had so much more content that any prior version up to that point and the graphics for the time were probably the best I'd seen. Happy days :)

Jason
December 4th, 2018, 05:32 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/a2z0x7/turns_out_you_can_access_the_emulator_settings_of/

Edit: direct link to YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNtAUwz8fqw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNtAUwz8fqw

Edit 2: Looks like it's possible to hose things up with certain settings, but there is a reset option. Curious if certain setting changes might improve quality of gaming on this though.

MR2 Fan
December 17th, 2018, 02:12 PM
PS Classic is already dropping in price, $75 in some places and Amazon is giving a $25 gift card along with the $75 price....basically meaning it's worth $50...that's a BIG joke after only 2 weeks.

I wonder if Sony will make an upgraded version that fixes the issues?

Tom Servo
December 17th, 2018, 09:22 PM
My guess is that they'll use this as evidence that people just aren't into nostalgia gaming and never try to do it again.

Sad, little man
December 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I pre-ordered one of these, heard the bad game lineup and early reviews, considered canceling it, but decided to let it go because I thought it would be fun.

Got it for Christmas, had some fun with it, but then saw they slashed the price by 40% immediately after Christmas, and I returned mine. But it was enjoyable. At $100 I felt ripped off, but I ordered an open box one from Amazon for $55, and at that price it's not bad.

Still a pretty huge fuck you to anyone who bought it early on at full price. I can't imagine anyone who paid that much wouldn't rush to return it now.

I really did enjoy Intelligent Qube. It's very addictive.That game is pretty rare in the US. Just that game goes for $50 on ebay. So if nothing else, I look at it as a machine to play Intelligent Qube on.

I read some comments on a review of it from someone who knew people who worked at Sony. Apparently this was thrown together in six months under a lot of pressure to release it for the holidays. It's really too bad they didn't take their time on it and make it really worthwhile.

Rare White Ape
December 27th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Yeah the price cut is pretty annoying. It was $150 here and now it’s for sale everywhere for $90. Cheaper than the NES.

MR2 Fan
December 27th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Intelligent Qube had a demo on one of the early demo discs for the PS1 with several games on it, I enjoyed it at the time.

Tom Servo
December 28th, 2018, 08:19 AM
That was the one game in the set that made me think I might get it, but even $90 for Intelligent Qube seems steep.

balki
July 22nd, 2019, 06:44 PM
$19.99 at Best Buy.
controllers have standard USB connectors, so you can use them on your PC

MR2 Fan
July 23rd, 2019, 07:44 AM
now I'll probably get it.

Godson
July 27th, 2019, 06:23 PM
Roommate picked one up, played it, will probably play MGS and FFVII, need to get a buddy to play. MGS as I know he would like itm