PDA

View Full Version : Do all cheap mice suck these days?

MR2 Fan
October 12th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Seems like I've had a lot of bad luck unless I pay like $50 or more for a mouse.

Over the past couple of years on various computers I've tried to use cheaper mice and there's always some major problem, either the mouse buttons don't click right, the tracking laser sucks, or the build quality is just really bad and they don't last any time.

I've tried different brands, no help.

So I'm buying another logitech MX Master for $70

Yw-slayer
October 12th, 2018, 03:33 PM
I think the answer must be "Yes". A mouse is also one of the three ways you physically interact with a computer, so I wouldn't skimp on it.

Rare White Ape
October 12th, 2018, 05:18 PM
The other two being via keyboard and hammer.

MR2 Fan
October 12th, 2018, 06:28 PM
The other two being via keyboard and hammer.

:up:

George
April 20th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Anyone have a favorite optical mouse with a cord to recommend? (That rules out the Logitech MX Master mentioned above)

I was sent a new laptop for my job since my last one (that worked fine and had lots of USB ports and TWO docking stations - one at home and one at work - was deemed "too old" by the IT guys.

The new one has only one (1!) USB port, one USB-C port, and one headphone speaker jack. That might be enough for people on the go but not for this desk jockey. Docking stations have been backordered since January, so I'm making do with a 7-place USB hub to plug in mouse, keyboard, telephone headset, ethernet-to-USB adapter, and sometimes other stuff such as an mp3 player and my phone.

I've found that wireless mice (I tried three; two at home and one at work) lag often, to the point where I've dragged emails into the wrong folders in Outlook because it will "release" without warning while I'm "holding and dragging", as just one symptom. Another is clicking ON a cell in Excel only to have Excel think I double-clicked, so now I'm IN the cell, when I'm trying to select several cells at once. This leads to some crazy formula over-writing what was in the cell I wanted to select without entering to edit.

Corded mice don't lag through the USB hub, but the only ones I have at home are cheapies that came from jobs or PC purchases and so forth. They all feel flimsy, and I'm an all-day mouse user (some days) who would like something that's large, ambidextrous, and feels solid in the hand.

I was looking at Microcenter's website and saw that "lightweight!" seems to be a selling point for most mice, but I'd like one that has some heft to it, if anyone has one to recommend. Thanks.

Blerpa
April 20th, 2022, 01:22 PM
If you need to go cheap and cabled... Logitech g203.

Rare White Ape
April 20th, 2022, 03:55 PM
^ I agree with this recommendation.

I use a Logitech mouse (albeit a wireless one) and they have plenty of size to accommodate the loving caress of generously proportioned man-hands.

21Kid
April 20th, 2022, 04:14 PM
Corded? Ew...

I have cordless for work and home, and never have lag problems like that. I don't play H4rDc0r3!!1!! games. But it's fine for general use and single player games.

Tom Servo
April 20th, 2022, 09:17 PM
One benefit to the Logitech gear is that they have that unifying receiver, so you can have one USB port taken up handling multiple peripherals. It's what I use with my Windows desktop.

I'm assuming this isn't a Mac. I've had terrible lag issues with wireless devices on Macs that aren't their own official ones.

Rare White Ape
April 20th, 2022, 11:03 PM
One benefit to the Logitech gear is that they have that unifying receiver, so you can have one USB port taken up handling multiple peripherals.

Only on some of their products. I have a G-series KB and mouse which I purchased separately and they both require their own receivers unfortunately. Best to double check that when shopping.

JoeW
April 21st, 2022, 03:50 AM
I use this

Cooler Master MM720 Black Matte Lightweight Gaming Mouse with Ultraweave Cable, 16000 DPI Optical Sensor, RGB and Unique Claw Grip Shape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K2NMXTZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_33G4ZZRZ9QR63SFEYF0G

Always had good luck with Coolermaster stuff. Still using a 10yr old version of this on my work computer.

I don’t do wireless either :)

Blerpa
April 21st, 2022, 03:52 AM
Corded? Ew...

I have cordless for work and home, and never have lag problems like that. I don't play H4rDc0r3!!1!! games. But it's fine for general use and single player games.

Actually that does not matter anymore: all the pro players are playing with wireless mice.
Some people prefer wired mice and there's nothing wrong with that, but the myth of wired mouse being better in hardcore games has been debunked and it is kind a thing of the past.

Rare White Ape
April 21st, 2022, 06:27 AM
You'd only know the difference if you were in the top 100 players of any esports game too.

Blerpa
April 21st, 2022, 06:48 AM
You'd only know the difference if you were in the top 100 players of any esports game too.

Well, since they almost all switched to wireless mice, the point is moot :D

Cam
April 21st, 2022, 07:46 AM
My corded Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 has worked reliably for the 2.5 years I have owned it. It came with the computer when I bought it. :shrug:

George
April 21st, 2022, 09:03 AM
I guess a mouse isn't something I need to ask advice about, but was just wondering if there is a "gold standard" mouse, such as the old IBM Selectric typewriters, for example - heavy, expensive, and never needs replacing. I'm in the office today and just went digging through the back room where there are all kinds of cables, old keyboards, and that sort of thing. I found several used wireless mice ranging in cleanliness from like new to "eww, gross!" Most of them were missing their USB "stubs", too. There wasn't a single corded mouse. I'll swing by Microcenter later and see if I can find a good one without bells and whistles and flashing lights and all that jazz.

FWIW, I saw an article somewhere online a while back that said some office workers use gaming mice to give one-button control to things like copying and pasting, running macros, or whatever else can be automated like that. I'd consider that if I didn't have to download software to take advantage of the extra features, since I can't even install a browser ad blocker without IT entering an administrator password.

I can imagine that phone conversation:

"That's right. It's a gaming mouse."

"No, I want it for Excel."

"Yes, I'm serious!"

"Hello? Hello?"

Tom Servo
April 21st, 2022, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it a gold standard, but I've been using this mouse (or a previous model that's almost exactly like it) for a good decade now, I've been quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M705-Wireless-Marathon-Mouse-dp-B087Z733CM/dp/B087Z733CM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

FaultyMario
April 21st, 2022, 09:25 AM
FWIW, I saw an article somewhere online a while back that said some office workers use gaming mice to give one-button control to things like copying and pasting, running macros, or whatever else can be automated like that. I'd consider that if I didn't have to download software to take advantage of the extra features, since I can't even install a browser ad blocker without IT entering an administrator password.

Logitech gaming mice have on-board memory, meaning that they will store their button/color/macro configurations regardless of the machine it is being used on.

The kiddo configs his on win10 and then plays Minecraft in Debian, which can't run the config app.

One of the best features of gaming mice, and i can't believe it wasn't widely available a decade before, is mouse weights. Some mice allow you add ballast so that the thing feels as light or heavy as you wish.

George
April 21st, 2022, 03:47 PM
^ Interesting. I actually have a Logitech gaming mouse somewhere at home that I bought several years ago for a free first-person shooter called Contract Wars. I ended up getting banned from that game for cheating, even though I had no idea how to cheat and pretty much stunk at the game anyway. I found an ambush spot in one of the maps and kept killing people as they turned a corner and I guess one of my victims was an administrator who decided to take revenge. Cheap kills? Definitely. Cheating? No.

I remember assigning the small extra buttons to switch weapons or something, but I had to download Logitech software to my Windows PC to be able to assign the buttons. I think I stopped using it because it always had a light on, even when the computer was idle, and I figured it was using unnecessary electricity. I'll have to dig it out of my box of miscellaneous PC parts at home and re-acquaint myself with it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

GreatScawt
April 21st, 2022, 08:09 PM
I purchased this one for work (because the MX Master is cool but I'm not spending that much after buying a Viper Ultimate)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Triathlon-Bluetooth-Hyper-Fast-Scrolling-dp-B087Z6LSHW/dp/B087Z6LSHW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I have the older version, but it's the same thing apparently. It is wireless, but works great over bluetooth and has 3 inputs to save. It also has a neat squeeze mechanic that initiates an alt+tab feature.

Yw-slayer
April 22nd, 2022, 07:59 PM
IMO, the MX Master series really are the gold standard for (right-handed) productivity. My v1 is still fine after all this years, and I am still happily using my v2S.

For more portable productivity, those other Logitechs are still great.

For gaming it is, I think, more a matter of personal preference. I personally think the Mad Catz RAT models are the best, but can see hwy others like other types. It also depends on what game you're playing.

FaultyMario
April 22nd, 2022, 08:48 PM
^ Interesting. I actually have a Logitech gaming mouse somewhere at home that I bought several years ago for a free first-person shooter called Contract Wars. I ended up getting banned from that game for cheating, even though I had no idea how to cheat and pretty much stunk at the game anyway. I found an ambush spot in one of the maps and kept killing people as they turned a corner and I guess one of my victims was an administrator who decided to take revenge. Cheap kills? Definitely. Cheating? No.

I remember assigning the small extra buttons to switch weapons or something, but I had to download Logitech software to my Windows PC to be able to assign the buttons. I think I stopped using it because it always had a light on, even when the computer was idle, and I figured it was using unnecessary electricity. I'll have to dig it out of my box of miscellaneous PC parts at home and re-acquaint myself with it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I think the Logi gaming devices app has a large enough library to cover your mouse.

MR2 Fan
April 27th, 2022, 08:45 AM
I'm using exclusively MX Master...I have slight issues with the scroll wheel but other than that, agreed they're really nice

Yw-slayer
December 25th, 2022, 06:54 AM
The MX Vertical is great BTW. I have used Masters for a long time, but I now really enjoy using the Vertical at work. I haven't tried it for gaming.