PDA

View Full Version : Ace Combat 7

Cam
January 18th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Might as well start a thread for this. GO!

I played it for about half-an-hour this morning. I'm interested. I will write more once I sit down for a good session.

Godson
January 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM
I've played everyone to this point. Will likely end up with it.

Cam
January 19th, 2019, 06:37 AM
I started on medium difficulty, as the game said that it was for players that have played before. It is challenging! I'm on a mission now that I am wondering if I will ever be able to complete it. :erm: It has a plane progression tree like World of Tanks; Earn points for missions to spend towards new stuff. Maybe I need to go back and replay previous missions to gain more points to earn better planes.

Dialogue is sometimes cringe-worthy. Farther into the game, the trash-talk between wingmen provided me with some laugh-out-loud moments. I am enjoying it overall.

Godson
January 19th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Are you playing with VR?

Cam
January 19th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Ha! No.

Cam
January 19th, 2019, 01:57 PM
I tried some battle royal multiplayer. It's pretty intense. Insane free-for-all. It is extremely difficult to get a hit. Sometimes you can have three or four planes simultaneously trying to shoot you down. :eek:

Like World of Tanks, it is a grind to unlock planes and gear. Thankfully, you earn points in multiplayer toward the aircraft tree.

Rare White Ape
January 19th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Are you playing with VR?

Sadly the VR is only available in three missions. It’s not worth buying the game just for VR, or VR just for the game, but it’ll be the game you use to show off PSVR to anyone who visits if you already have the setup.

Rare White Ape
January 19th, 2019, 02:10 PM
An extra bonus for any Xbox players: Ace Combat 6 has been added to the backwards compatibility list on Xbone.

I’ve been dying for this to become available :D

Cam
January 19th, 2019, 07:30 PM
When I pre-purchased, it said AC6 was included. I cannot seem to find it. :?

Godson
January 20th, 2019, 06:45 PM
OMG. VR in this is amazing.

Cam
January 21st, 2019, 05:17 AM
Found AC6 in the store, but says it's unavailable. :?

21Kid
January 21st, 2019, 12:19 PM
Maybe it's just "unavailable" to buy... Try seeing if it still let's you download it or something?

Also:
https://kotaku.com/how-to-make-ace-combat-vr-even-more-immersive-1831919676

Cam
January 23rd, 2019, 01:12 PM
I got a code from Xbox Live today for AC6.

Rare White Ape
January 23rd, 2019, 05:50 PM
:up:

You’ll like it. It was my first foray into Ace Combat. The demo blew me away and it was an instant must-buy. Scored the disc version for maybe $20 when I sniped an eBay sale back in… 2010. That’s the one you saw me playing on teh Xbox last weekend. The graphics and gameplay are absolutely top notch and haven’t dated at all, though I’d love to see it at 4K on the One X.

Cam
January 24th, 2019, 05:41 AM
I had AC6 on disc back in the day.

Cam
January 31st, 2019, 02:35 PM
The novelty wore off this game fast. :(

Rare White Ape
January 31st, 2019, 04:51 PM
Nooooooo!

I completed campaign last night and loved it. The last mission was pretty simple compared to some of the mid-game objective-based stuff, only made harder by the difficult dogfighting.

But, overall it was a 10/10 for me. I looked up how to unlock the special skins too. It’s hard, but I got the skin for mission 3, which looks like the YF-16 prototype from the 80s :up:

Cam
February 1st, 2019, 02:36 AM
Once I finished the campaign and played multiplayer a few times, I went back to improve my rating on some of the missions. Then, I got up to the later missions and thought that they are just kind of annoying.

Subsequently, I started the campaign in AC6. I got up to the mission where you have to shoot down Strigon squad. It is just not possible for me to hit those damn bastards. I got ten wingmen "helping" me, yet they do nothing. I do not know what I am doing wrong. :( I seem to remember finishing the campaign years ago.

balki
April 19th, 2020, 07:19 PM
This is Game Pass for xbone, pretty good :up:

Cam
February 28th, 2022, 04:39 AM
Subsequently, I started the campaign in AC6. I got up to the mission where you have to shoot down Strigon squad. It is just not possible for me to hit those damn bastards. I got ten wingmen "helping" me, yet they do nothing. I do not know what I am doing wrong. :( I seem to remember finishing the campaign years ago.

I could not sleep the other night, so I revisited this mission, unsuccessfully. Tried again the next day. I still could not complete it, despite trying about 20 times. It's a tough one, for sure, even on normal difficulty. I got really close once. I have to get lucky with the gun or get a point-blank missile hit to shoot down an enemy fighter. Their planes' performance defy physics.

dodint
February 28th, 2022, 06:24 AM
I wanted to love AC7 but something about the control set didn't work for me. I only played one or two missions then never turned it on again.

AC4: Shattered Skies is one of my favorite games of all time and AC7 couldn't build on that. Maybe I'll do as you did and go back and give it another try.

Rare White Ape
March 1st, 2022, 07:04 PM
I could not sleep the other night, so I revisited this mission, unsuccessfully. Tried again the next day. I still could not complete it, despite trying about 20 times. It's a tough one, for sure, even on normal difficulty. I got really close once. I have to get lucky with the gun or get a point-blank missile hit to shoot down an enemy fighter. Their planes' performance defy physics.

It’s been a looooong time since I played AC6, but is this a mission over a capital city that surrounds a bay? You might be revisiting it for the second time in the campaign. My memory is foggy.

But one thing I do remember which might help you out, is that you earn an air-to-air missile type that fires multiple (either 4 or 6) warheads simultaneously and they’re ultra manoeuvrable, making it possible to take down multiple targets with one push of the button.

At the very least, having a browse through your catalogue of AAM weapons might be the key.

Cam
March 1st, 2022, 08:19 PM
It's the mission where you have to shoot down the huge, slow-moving Agaion aircraft (which itself is an aircraft carrier) and it's four other large support aircraft, while simultaneously trying to fight off Strigon Squadron. It's nearly impossible to get a hit with missiles. I shoot down more of them with my gun. They tend to fly close in front of you to bait you so their wingmen can shoot you down. That is the best chance to shoot them down, but it also leaves you the most vulnerable. That said, there is a better chance for a missile hit with the highly-maneuverable, single-shot missiles (QAAM) than the six-at-once (XMA6) missiles. The XMA6, or similar special weapons, are good for a more expedient take-out of the large aircraft, despite being useless against the fighters. The most annoying thing about the mission is that you have additional squadrons accompanying you, but they do absolutely nothing, as far as I can tell. You have to shoot every single last target yourself. I was using XMA6 for a while, but switched to QAAM.

When Strigon squad is taking off from the aircraft carrier, I wait behind when they fly out. I can hit a plane with two missiles and my gun, but they just fly off. Temporary invulnerability. Cheap. :rolleyes:

I tried several more times in the past few days with no success. I get close, but those Strigon buggers are just SO difficult to shoot down. :(

Godson
March 7th, 2022, 09:02 AM
I wanted to love AC7 but something about the control set didn't work for me. I only played one or two missions then never turned it on again.

AC4: Shattered Skies is one of my favorite games of all time and AC7 couldn't build on that. Maybe I'll do as you did and go back and give it another try.

AC4 was gold.

Cam
March 7th, 2022, 09:33 AM
I seem to remember playing every iteration of the Ace Combat series, but I do not remember individual games. Old man brain. :lol:

Cam
March 8th, 2022, 04:38 AM
I meant to post more about this. I did finally beat mission 9, "Heavy Command Cruiser." It took many, many tries. It had been so long since I played through AC6 that I forgot that you can direct your wingman to attack specific targets. I normally equip him with the F-22 and XMA6. On the next mission, the first time we encountered another squadron, I directed him to attack the four approaching aircraft. He said, "Roger." and I heard the sound of missiles launching. He destroyed all four planes in one shot. "Oh, that's how I use him." :lol: I did not have nearly as much trouble with the rest of the missions as mission 9.

I started a new game. I had forgotten the story, as it had been so long since I played it. This time through is going pretty quickly and I breezed through mission 9 by comparison.

As a side note, I muted the music in the game, but it also mutes the audio during the cut scenes. Strange bug. :erm:

Cam
March 13th, 2022, 07:51 PM
Did another playthrough of AC7. It’s kind of disappointing that you can play it through in one sitting. I enjoyed it though. Great series of games.

Rare White Ape
March 13th, 2022, 09:48 PM
Yeah I love them. Just the right combo of ridiculously cheesy and ironically self-important.

SkylineObsession
April 14th, 2022, 01:34 AM
Play this every now and then (usually a mission at a time) when i get the time/have the urge. I'm so glad the controls (i use the more advanced setup) are basically the same from the old PS1 (? - or PS2?) days. Gone a good decade or more without playing an AC game, fired it up earlier this year and within a minute i was competently flying around.

As i usually do in these games, i'll be aiming to unlock/purchase the F15 Eagle, the fighter jet i fell in love with in the 90's and is the best ever jet in my eyes. And somewhat statistically in real life too.

I never really pay attention to the story in these games, i still watch cutscenes etc but am mainly interested in the flying and the shooting.

Cam
October 3rd, 2022, 08:13 PM
There was a 7GB update for this game recently. Anyone know what that’s about? Seems odd that there would be a huge update for a game this old.

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2022, 12:18 AM
There was a 3rd anniversary update in early August. That could be it.

Cam
October 4th, 2022, 03:45 AM
That is a abnormally large update for a handful of skins and emblems. :erm: