PDA

View Full Version : Apex Legends

GreatScawt
February 5th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Well you knew this was coming.

Respawn's incredible new take on BR. It's fresh, free, and they somehow kept this a secret for two years. Takes places in the Titanfall world, but you don't play as pilots. So no Titans, no wall running, no double jumping. Instead you have an almost, hero-based shooter where each character has a passive ability, a special, and an ultimate. It has a BlackOp4 MP / Overwatch-y vibe.

Yes, there are microtransactions, but they seem purely aesthetic. I played just a few hours yesterday and unlocked quite a few skins.

I like it more than I expected to, especially as they force you in to teams of 3. If you don't have a mic or don't wanna talk, the ping system they created is genius. You can ping loot, places to go, enemies, items you still need, places you want to defend, etc. It's a very smart system. The contextual character conversations also tell you what's going on ("that's all of them", "we're in the next circle already", etc). It's pretty impressive in action.

Rare White Ape
February 5th, 2019, 11:52 AM
The trailer looks fantastic.

But it’s a FTP battle royale shooter published by EA. I think I’ll pass.

One thing I will note, however; it’s received a surprisingly warm reception from Games media and players, despite not having what made Titanfall great.

Somewhere, tonight, Cliff Blezinski lays in a bed unable to sleep, wondering where it all went so wrong.

Cam
February 5th, 2019, 11:52 AM
I took a look at it and saw that it was a "Battle Royale" game. I thought, "Oh great, a Fortnite rip." I passed on it.

GreatScawt
February 6th, 2019, 09:52 AM
I mean, that's a pretty short-sighted classification, but it's also expected. But to each their own! It certainly has a style that is a bit more goofy... almost Overwatch/SSX-y. It is most certainly nothing like Fortnite in terms of gameplay or any other BR for that matter. They did a pretty good job of making this game it's own thing.

I think I still ultimately have a preference towards the OG BR - PUBG. But this game is surprisingly fun as hell.

And yes, EA blows, but it's pretty interesting (and also kind of funny) how many times Respawn have declared that all major decisions regarding this game were NOT made by EA. So there's that!

Cam
February 6th, 2019, 11:05 AM
The game’s description declared that classification. :rolleyes:

I did not enjoy Overwatch either. :shrug:

Blerpa
February 6th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Tried it, nice graphics and feel, devoid of the boring stupid parkour crap of Titanfall 2, but... as boring as watching paint dry: sorry but I'm in Cam league, battle royale usual fare, not interested at all.
Now, if they would do a TF3 with single player campaign and without parkour nintendo-platform-game-like shite, I would be all over it.
Meanwhile... uninstalled it.

EDIT: I got to say this looks a bit less stupid than Overwatch, but still a br game. Not interested.

Rare White Ape
February 6th, 2019, 05:03 PM
I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen who doesn’t like the wall running in TF2!

GreatScawt
February 6th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Yeah, it's still a BR game. If you don't like BR, well then don't consider it.
But for what it is, Respawn have made some amazing adjustments to turn it in to it's own thing. It's pretty special. "Looks like fornite fuck that" is slighting a hard-working developer that generally does things the right way and created something unique.

I'm sooo on the fence about the wall-running and double-jumping. I enjoy(ed) it, but I was never very good at it. If those mechanics were in this game I'd be so fucked :lol:

Cam
February 7th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Jeez, do you work for the company or something? I am not slighting anyone. :rolleyes:

My brother does not like racing games. I'm not going to imply that he is insulting Turn 10 just because I play Forza and he doesn't.

Blerpa
February 7th, 2019, 03:51 AM
I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seen who doesn’t like the wall running in TF2!

LOL
I just don't like any platform game elements in FPS.
Also, Respawn offer with AL seems decent in terms of graphics, setting and controls, but at the core it is a BR game. I agree with Cam, no slighting: we are just not interested at all. :)

Kchrpm
February 7th, 2019, 10:14 AM
My brother does not like racing games. I'm not going to imply that he is insulting Turn 10 just because I play Forza and he doesn't.

Would your brother go into a thread about a new racing game and say "oh great, a Forza rip. I passed on it."?

GreatScawt
February 7th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Would your brother go into a thread about a new racing game and say "oh great, a Forza rip. I passed on it."?

With all due respect, exactly this.

Cam
February 8th, 2019, 03:20 AM
My bad. :rolleyes:

Blerpa
February 8th, 2019, 05:58 AM

If he tried it and it was the same boringfest... then yes. By all means.

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2019, 08:56 AM
If he tried it and it was the same boringfest... then yes. By all means.
In this scenario it was established that there was no trying of the game, only reading the description and realizing it was a genre they don't like.

MR2 Fan
February 8th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I took a look at it and saw that it was a "Battle Royale" game. I thought, "Oh great, a Fortnite rip." I passed on it.

But but but Fortnite ripped off PUBG which ripped off others...and they all ripped off the movie Battle Royale

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2019, 11:22 AM
To be fair to Cam, I think what he meant was that he likes the developer or some other potential for the game, but is not interested in the battle royale genre in general.

With that perspective, I agree with him completely. I thoroughly enjoyed Titanfall 2's single player, but that's about as far as my personal investment in Respawn goes. The news that came a day or two after the release that a "traditional" Titanfall 3 will (may?) be released this year did change the narrative some, if we're looking at the bigger picture.

Rare White Ape
February 8th, 2019, 12:53 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Titanfall 2's single player, but that's about as far as my personal investment in Respawn goes.

Don’t forget that Respawn is headed up by Jason West and Vince Zampella, who created some of the greatest FPS games of all time in their prior job at Infinity Ward, so it’s very much worth following what the studio does.

JoeW
February 8th, 2019, 03:55 PM
My son started playing it a couple days ago. It is much better looking than Fortnight. Gameplay seems a little more interesting as well.

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Don’t forget that Respawn is headed up by Jason West and Vince Zampella, who created some of the greatest FPS games of all time in their prior job at Infinity Ward, so it’s very much worth following what the studio does.

Eh. They are a company whose single player experiences were getting more interesting and well crafted, and whose multiplayer experiences were getting more focused on the highly skilled player. The fact that Respawn is making a multiplayer only game, battle royale or not, does not intrinsically interest me. I'm interested in more Titanfall 2 levels of single player innovations, not more Respawn in general.

Kchrpm
February 9th, 2019, 08:32 PM
I saw some cool highlights, thanks to ziplines, on Highlight Reel, and it seems they made some smart QOL decisions (a couple of which remind me of Overwatch) which should push the genre and similar games forward.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/9/18217513/apex-legends-ping-jumpmaster-ui-colors

Yw-slayer
February 11th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Respawn are great. Titanfall was awesome and really introduced new mechanics and types of flow into the stagnant shooter genre. The wall-running and double-jump were great. I bought Titanfall 2 at full price and haven't even played it, but I don't regret buying it one bit. It's a pity that both were not as commercially successful as some other notorious shooter series' out there.

I haven't even loaded Apex Legends, but I am sure it will be awesome given its pedigree and as a gaming friend of mine who really enjoyed Titanfall 1 (and 2) also thinks it's awesome.

Blerpa and Cam can go play other games and refuse to try or play or whatever this game on whatever basis they want. Those opinions are irrelevant to me and have NEVER BEEN INSTALLED. :finger: :D

JSGeneral
February 11th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I'm terrible at shooters... terrified of BR mechanics... and usually only pair with randoms while I never talk. I'm LOVING this game!! It's fun!

To those who won't try it, I suggest either watching this...

https://youtu.be/NZz-jKeoHaY

Or you could try reading this...

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?quality=85&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorag e%2Fmidas%2F160b8b1704fc8834b1642a726a1eeaed%2F201 930519%2FGreen%2BEggs%2Band%2BHam.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=f64043fb5fb20ec5ba24c3837c5ec9ee9d52639b

GreatScawt
February 11th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Wow. This game hit 25 million unique players in a week.

https://twitter.com/PlayApex/status/1095083729507110914?s=19

Now... it's not F2P, but as a reference point, BFV has sold 7.3 million copies (I actually quite enjoy BFV, for what it's worth).

Kchrpm
February 11th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Being free to play completely changes the dynamics. BFV's 7.3 million copies is, conservatively, almost half a billion dollars. Apex Legend's 25 million players is zero.

I'm downloading Apex Legends now just to give it a try. If they figured out how to get you out of the loop of explore->fight->die->restart that is the building block of how battle royale games function, I will be impressed.

Rare White Ape
February 11th, 2019, 05:35 PM
Respawn are great. Titanfall was awesome and really introduced new mechanics and types of flow into the stagnant shooter genre. The wall-running and double-jump were great. I bought Titanfall 2 at full price and haven't even played it, but I don't regret buying it one bit. It's a pity that both were not as commercially successful as some other notorious shooter series' out there.

I’ve been meaning to fire up TF2 again since buying a PS4 Pro, but haven’t gotten around to it because reasons. I finally did that last night and played the level where you’re in the factory and the robots are building the pre-fabricated homes around you while you navigate the production line and avoid the enemies. Now that is a fun and unique level. The set-piece battle around the completed neighbourhood, plus the boss fight at the end were just fantastic.

Kchrpm
February 12th, 2019, 05:58 AM
I played two rounds, both as the medic. The first match I was put on a team by myself, and the second I was teamed up with one level 24 teammate. I followed them around and we won a couple of shootouts. This game would be excellent for chatting with your friends because there is just so much downtime.

So if anyone else is playing on XBox and wants to give it a try as a squad, let me know.

Phil_SS
February 12th, 2019, 08:45 AM
If they figured out how to get you out of the loop of explore->fight->die->restart that is the building block of how battle royale games function, I will be impressed.

It's exactly like that except that each character has a abilities. But most of the time those abilities don't come into play and it works just like a regular BR. At least from my initial playtime.

I have it so hit me up if you see me online.

GreatScawt
February 12th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Couple of vids from the first few days I played. Definitely a different pace. I find this game has much less downtime than PUBG. Maybe more on par with Blackout.

Got a very nice couple of guys on my second game and we ended up winning. Wingman all day :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrsBoo838

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTZ32NPCf8

Yw-slayer
February 13th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I did the training mission and one match. I've realised that I"m also not that fond of Battle Royale games, but yeah, this is a good game anyway because Respawn.

Alan P
February 13th, 2019, 04:09 PM
So I finally got round to giving this a better run than the single round I played last week after teaming up with some folks I know from another online forum (I know, I'm sorry) and we had some good rounds, quite a bit of downtime searching for weapons then some manic moments of high intensity. We even managed a win! It's enjoyable but being that Anthem is launching tomorrow for Origin Access Premier I can't see me playing it a lot. Which is also fine because as a free game I'm not 'wasting' my money!

Phil_SS
March 4th, 2019, 04:39 AM
Novi, Krunch and myself played for a bit yesterday and we even won a match. :D

I'm liking the game more and more as I get acquainted with the controls and the character abilities. It's fun, and for free you can't beat it. Of course with friends it is even better.

Kchrpm
March 4th, 2019, 08:43 AM
It's basically just us shooting the shit while pinging shiny things for each other for 10 minutes, then one to two firefights.

Alan P
March 4th, 2019, 02:14 PM
So I finally got round to giving this a better run than the single round I played last week after teaming up with some folks I know from another online forum (I know, I'm sorry) and we had some good rounds, quite a bit of downtime searching for weapons then some manic moments of high intensity. We even managed a win! It's enjoyable but being that Anthem is launching tomorrow for Origin Access Premier I can't see me playing it a lot. Which is also fine because as a free game I'm not 'wasting' my money!

Well as it happens I'm playing this way, way more than Anthem. Have had a few wins, lots of second or third places and lots of 'OMG I have no weapon!! ARRRGHGHHH!!!! RUN!!!!!'

For a free game it's really, really good. I haven't spent any money on it yet but I likely will pick up the battlepass, even if only to make myself feel better for such a quality game. 51 hours played!

This is me! https://apex.tracker.gg/profile/pc/Tesslacoil

GreatScawt
March 10th, 2019, 08:24 AM
I've been playing more than I thought I would... really anxious to see what their battle pass will look like.

Video clips from one of the best games I've had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqx1jNekuLs&t

GreatScawt
March 27th, 2019, 07:42 AM
So the Battle Pass has been out as of last Monday. It goes on for 90 days. You can make progress on it now and buy the levels later if you like where you got to. You just won't get the slight XP percentage boosts along the way.
The rewards aren't all that great, except for the last few, which I'm almost certain I won't get, but I'm happy to see some new content and patch updates coming in.

A new character was also released: Octane
Haven't unlocked him yet, but he seems like a lot of fun from what I've seen. He's ultra-focused on mobility. He has a speed stim that boosts his run speed at a health cost, and his ultimate is a short-cooldown jump pad.

Last week the impossible happened: ended Thursday with a win. Played one game Saturday and won as the champion. Played one game Sunday and won. Three game win streak! Never to happen again :lol:
Granted, when you have 20 teams it's a little easier to place higher than other BRs, but still pretty stoked about that nonetheless.

Preferred guns so far: Wingman, R-301, Havoc+Turbo (think I might like it better than the Devotion+turbo), Mastiff

Phil_SS
March 29th, 2019, 11:18 AM
just wanted to say I am having fun as well. It is a fun game to just jump into and play a few games.

Alan P
March 30th, 2019, 05:25 PM
It's great because there are so many players when you die you can be back and dropping within a minute or so as games launch quickly. I impress on anyone I'm playing with, I don't sit at my desk to look at screens, ready up as soon as the squad is wiped.

Oh I bought the basic Battlepass too and hit level 100 as well. Currently sitting at 152 Hours. Compare that to 4 hours of Anthem and 93 hours of BF:V it shows what a great game it is.

Yw-slayer
March 31st, 2019, 05:47 AM
Sort of related, but I finally started playing Titanfall 2, and it's really great. So far it seems better, as one would hope, than Titanfall!

Alan P
March 31st, 2019, 05:59 PM
Sort of related, but I finally started playing Titanfall 2, and it's really great. So far it seems better, as one would hope, than Titanfall!

The single player campaign is one of the finest gaming experiences a person can get. It's truly brilliant and so well done!

Phil_SS
April 1st, 2019, 10:02 AM
I played quite a bit of games with Novi this weekend and we came close to winning a few games. We slow play games, drop into a place most people avoid and then move around and try and stay alive as long as possible. Let the other groups weed themselves out, pick them clean, get into the last 3 groups and then move in at the end to maybe win the game.

My favorite weapons are all heavy weapons; Spitfire, Flatline, Hemlok and Wingman. That's if I can find them, :lol:. Especially the Spitfire. Most games I can find a Hemlok or Flatline and Wingman. I also don't mind the G7, Devotion with Turbocharger, and R301. EVA-8 isn't bad also as long as I get a shotgun bolt. Novi informed me that the Hemlok can be toggled to single fire mode and I really like it in that mode. And reading up on the guns it appears that all of the AR's can be toggled. [taps finger together]Veddy Intesting[/taps finger together]

When I first started playing the game I basically just used Bangalore. But I never did great with her, so I started to branch out and try other characters. I've used all of them a little bit but I think I have settled on Pathfinder for now. His ability to see where the new rings will be especially as it gets small helps with my play style. And I am starting to work on using his grapple in combat.

After dinner last night, I jumped on and played for a while. Ended up with a few good groups and even won two games in a row. First was with a group that played like I do (I dropped us into the burned out place) and we worked our way across the map, ended up with some good gear. I got my beloved Spitfire and some nice attachments along the way. No mics with this group but we played together. The end ring was between Slum Lakes and Runoff. Right up on top of the big hill above Slum Lakes, so no buildings. In the end we had the high ground and the other groups didn’t. We just mowed them down as they came up over the edge of the hill, FTW.

The next group, all three of us had mics. Which as we commented, made us winners from the getgo. We dropped into Relay alone and we ended up with some good gear. We moved around the area but noticed the ring was coming toward our area. So we just wandered around that corner of the map. We took out a few stragglers and then retreated back to the Eastern edge of Wetlands. We heard other groups fighting it out coming toward us and we just hung out and let them whittle each other down. With three groups remaining a firefight broke out between the other two groups at the Western side of Wetlands. At that point the ring was basically just over Wetlands and we moved to the building in the middle ground and as I took pot shots at them with my Longbow, my other teammates moved up the right side stairs to flank them. As they traded shots, I then moved up behind my teammates and when the other team rushed us we took them down, FTW.

We started a party channel after that match and played for around 1-1.5 hrs together after that, almost winning a few other matches. The game is just fun, especially with friends, even new ones. :)

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2019, 04:06 PM
The single player campaign is one of the finest gaming experiences a person can get. It's truly brilliant and so well done!

Thanks, and so far I agree!!

Alan P
April 3rd, 2019, 04:27 PM
I've been really liking the Prowler with the Select fire hopup recently.

Alan P
September 27th, 2019, 03:28 PM
So a long, long time since I last updated this. I still play most nights, in fact pretty much every night TBH. Still loving it but they also just announced Season 3 with a NEW MAP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEAWC9eK1Ts

Alan P
October 6th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Right, if anyone still plays this hit me up with your Gamertags. Be aware though if you join me or I join you you console peasants will be dragged into PC lobbies.

Kchrpm
October 6th, 2020, 01:38 PM
I can't handle such high level play :(

Alan P
October 6th, 2020, 03:15 PM
I can't handle such high level play :(
I'm hardly good. My Overall K/D is well below 1.0.