PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 5

Rare White Ape
April 16th, 2019, 03:44 PM
The first official details have come out, and while this is not complete, it’s also not rumour, so I think it deserves a thread.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-16-sony-reveals-first-playstation-5-details

8K support, SSD, 3rd gen Ryzen CPU and Navi GPU, plus ray tracing!

I called it :D

Also full back compact with PS4 and PSVR.

Let the circus begin!

dodint
April 16th, 2019, 04:39 PM
I was discussing this elsewhere but I want to note my skepticism of the backwards compatibility. I have seen this show before...

Rare White Ape
April 16th, 2019, 07:12 PM
It’s early days so you never know what might happen. It would be very much in their interests to support it, because new adopters can play their existing library and it’ll possibly happen at better-than-PS4 Pro resolutions and frame rates, while easing the pressure to have a slate of new titles ready to go.

Tom Servo
April 16th, 2019, 10:17 PM
From what I understand, the PS4 and XBox One were basically just PCs under the hood, so it definitely improves the backwards-compatibility chances. It's not like the PS3 with its weird-ass architecture.

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2019, 02:10 AM
Yep. But being weird-ass is not the reason the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible with PS4.

If we take just the PlayStation ecosystem as an example, PS2 (the first ever backwards compatible machine) was BC (let's just call it BC) with PSOne because it contained PSOne hardware on the chipset.

Then PS3 was BC with PS2 and PSOne because it also contained that hardware, but only for the first iteration of the PS3, and it was a very expensive console so they took it out. From then-on the PS3 played old games via emulation.

PS4 plays old games, but only using the PS Now streaming service, or using downloaded emulation titles.

So BC is mostly a matter of having native hardware available to run the software. Each generation of PlayStation hardware has had a different underlying architecture running the system, and emulation is an expensive way, in technical terms, to run old software. Nintendo Wii U, for example, is a Power PC-based system that dates back to the early 2000s, but to run an emulator for it on a modern PC requires a lot of CPU horsepower.

Since the PS5 will be running a chipset that is very closely related to the PS4, then it will be super easy to have native emulation available, without even needing a bespoke CPU to run it.

Blerpa
April 17th, 2019, 03:58 AM
LOL 8K.
PS4 Pro can't even do *real* 4K at 30fps and Xbox One X does barely 4K 30fps.
On PC, aside from the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, no video card can do 4K 60 fps with Ultra settings (with RTX off)...

Next gen consoles? At best upscaled 4K with stable 30 fps, maybe 60 fps.

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Can’t argue with this. My expert guess is that 8K support actually means it’ll send an 8K signal to an 8K display, but it would either be a video stream or a very upscaled 4K game.

Kind of like how the rumoured Switch hardware update will support 4K video output.

Nobody has said 8K gaming as yet. And don't forget that Marc Cerny, the guy behind the PlayStation architecture, is a Sony employee, and Sony will be selling 8K TVs right around the time that PS5 will launch.

Tom Servo
April 17th, 2019, 07:29 AM
That kinda feels like a really long way of saying "backwards compatibility is easier now that the architecture has stabilized to a known standard instead of the weird-ass one they were using on the PS3", but whatevs.

dodint
April 17th, 2019, 08:19 AM
I do not think it is in Sony's interest to allow people to play games they already own on the PS5 when they can resell those games to them using PSN. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

Also, is it only for optical media? This is the first generation that I threw in the towel and started playing digital download games. Might those transfer over? PS5 has an optical drive.

JoeW
April 17th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I’ll buy one. It will give me an excuse to finally buy a 4K TV.

stephenb
April 17th, 2019, 12:58 PM
LOL 8K.
PS4 Pro can't even do *real* 4K at 30fps and Xbox One X does barely 4K 30fps.
On PC, aside from the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, no video card can do 4K 60 fps with Ultra settings (with RTX off)...

Next gen consoles? At best upscaled 4K with stable 30 fps, maybe 60 fps.

Sure, aside from Forza Motorsport 7 which turns in a flawless 4K 60FPS on X. Point being there are a number of, mainly first party games, which do the exact opposite of what you claim. Besides which the PS4 Pro was never designed to run games at native 4K, which is why so much emphasis was put on chequerboard techniques and the extra hardware that was included on the GPU to help facilitate this.

Consoles are way more efficient than PC's and the hardware in PS5 will be a massive leap over that of the current base consoles. I foresee plenty of native 4K titles at a range of framerates, don't forget that the PS5 will almost certainly feature adaptive sync given it appears to have an HDMI 2.1 output for support of 8K. I'm sure there will be plenty of games which continue to use chequerboarding as well.

I'm most excited about compatability with PSVR and any future headsets they may bring out. Can you imagine an enhanced version of GT Sport with VR support throughout :eek:

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2019, 01:01 PM
That kinda feels like a really long way of saying "backwards compatibility is easier now that the architecture has stabilized to a known standard instead of the weird-ass one they were using on the PS3", but whatevs.

Maybe I just like typing.

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2019, 01:06 PM
I do not think it is in Sony's interest to allow people to play games they already own on the PS5 when they can resell those games to them using PSN. I'm happy to be wrong on this.

Also, is it only for optical media? This is the first generation that I threw in the towel and started playing digital download games. Might those transfer over? PS5 has an optical drive.

I think it would be a really dumb move if Sony pushed BC but then didn’t allow you to use your PSN library.

And there have already been lots of cross-buy titles that are available on both PS3/4 and Vita that you pay for once, so it would make sense to continue this.

dodint
April 17th, 2019, 02:09 PM
:up:

Tom Servo
April 17th, 2019, 02:55 PM
I somehow missed this:

My GTX 1080 runs quite a few games on their highest settings at 4K 60fps, so not sure where you're getting that from.

sandydandy
April 17th, 2019, 06:44 PM
I think I’ll pass on this. Then again I was supposed to pass on the PS4.

Backwards compatibility only interests me if it goes as far back as PS2. I wish I had picked up the original PS3 that was BC with PS2 and PS1.

Yw-slayer
April 17th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Will buy even though I only have a 1080 plasma from 2017 and a bunch of PS4 games that I've never played lol.

Blerpa
April 18th, 2019, 01:35 AM
My GTX 1080 runs quite a few games on their highest settings at 4K 60fps, so not sure where you're getting that from.

So then add the 1080 to the fold. It's like 3-4 videocards, pretty expensive ones, able to do that.
In a market where a plethora of cards can do Full HD or 2K 60-75-120-144Hz with settings all up.

Consoles are optimized? Yes. Yet they either cannot do real 4K like an expensive PC videocard (obviously) or they make do with way less bells and whistles.
PS5 price has been unveiled: 599 dollars. You can barely buy a 1080 videocard and a cheap case with that money.

Jason
April 19th, 2019, 01:23 PM
I'm glad that Sony and Microsoft will be embracing keeping a similar architecture across generations. Frankly I'd be down with iterative updates going forward period, updating a console every 3-4 years, and tell developers they have to support a minimum 2 "generations" upon game release would be a good way to go in my book, but I don't know if they'd do that considering "cloud gaming" is supposedly going to kill the console market.

MR2 Fan
April 19th, 2019, 02:19 PM
They'll probably start doing the smartphone thing and make the older consoles slower and more difficult to use with updates, so you have to buy a new one.

I mean, with every console generation, the improvements are more and more incremental and not revolutionary.

Tom Servo
April 19th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I kinda feel like they've already done that. My launch day XBox One is *so slow* when navigating the menus, it's painful.

Rare White Ape
April 19th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Do a factory reset on it and see what happens. I do that with my phones every so often and it smartens them up. Back them up first, wipe contents, factory reset, then restore backup.

It’s probably just as good as defragmenting a computer hard drive.

SkylineObsession
April 20th, 2019, 10:54 PM
At the rate i'm getting through my backlog of games, i'll probably end up getting a PS5 two or three years after launch.

Bonus is they will be cheaper by then.

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Bit of an info dump from Wired, who visited Mark Cerny and had a play with some of the PS5’s new features:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

And yes, it’s officially called PlayStation 5 now.

MR2 Fan
October 8th, 2019, 02:46 PM
PS5 is coming out and I haven't even bought a PS4

Dicknose
October 10th, 2019, 01:24 AM
What? I got 2, PS4 in the “PlayStation room” (with seat and wheel) and a PS4pro in the living room

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2019, 01:33 AM
If you add them all up you've got a PS12.

Phil_SS
October 10th, 2019, 04:56 AM
PS5 is coming out and I haven't even bought a PS4

Me either, or a PS3. The last PS I bought was a PS2. :)

Blerpa
October 10th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Me either, or a PS3. The last PS I bought was a PS2. :)

Same here.
Owned a first gen Playstation and a first gen Playstation 2. That's it.
And nowadays I own several PCs and, since recently, a cheap Xbox One S. LOL

For now I'm not interested in PS5.

dodint
October 15th, 2019, 12:16 PM
It may change in the next year as I shed some life obligations, but I have little interest in moving to the next console generation. I can probably count the number of PS4 games I substantially played on one hand. And now that I'm doing all of my streaming on FireStick I do not turn it on as often.

Off the top of my head:

Rocket League; more than any other game by a far margin.
RDR2
Project Cars 2
GT:S
Need For Speed Rivals and Payback

That might be it.

Rare White Ape
October 15th, 2019, 01:11 PM
Judging by your game selection there, it appears you may not be interested in narrative game adventures!

The PS4 has been showered in them. At least one really good sort-driven 3rd person adventure game was released for each year the PS4 was available.

And that’s absolutely fine. PC racing sims is where it’s at for me right now too. I’ve got a huge backlog of *other* games to play but I just can’t bring myself to play them :lol:

dodint
October 15th, 2019, 03:43 PM
To be fair, I've been in law school nearly the entire time I have owned a PS4. I select games that have a component wherein I can play for as little as 5 minutes if needed; Rocket League and racing games do that. I also have purchased various iterations of MLB The Show and the NHL series for the same reason. I graduate in about two months and take the bar in four months, then I'm freeeeeeeeeee!

RDR2 is the exception but even that can be played in a pretty granular fashion.

Yw-slayer
October 22nd, 2019, 07:19 PM
In four months you can then GET WASTED

dodint
October 23rd, 2019, 05:20 AM
Yaaassssssssssssssss!!!!

sandydandy
January 17th, 2020, 07:05 AM
Been reading some somewhat confirmatory articles indicating that the PS5 will be backwards compatible will all previous PS games. If it’s true then it’s music to my ears. My best games are on the PS2.

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2020, 07:51 PM
As you've no doubt seen, the full spec sheet for PS5 has been unveiled.

Screenshot yoinked from here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

https://i.imgur.com/DeSxIlJ.png

Big things to note:

CPU is AMD Zen 2, same as Xbox Series X, but with slightly lower clock speed.

GPU is AMD RDNA 2 with far less compute units (CUs) than Xbox but much higher clock speed. Full ray tracing support.

RAM is 16GB DDR6 - only an 8GB increase over PS4, but it is much faster. On PS4 the RAM had to hold data for ~30 seconds of gameplay, meaning it was taken up by lots of inefficient unused data. The new RAM architecture holds about 1 second of gameplay, greatly lowering useless 'static' data taking up RAM space and allowing faster throughput of events and world data. It now means that the faster SSD storage will hold long-term reserve data for longer gameplay.

Speaking of which, the new 825GB internal SSD will feature hierarchical game storage, meaning that game data will be shuffled to different areas on the drive according to priority. Sony wants to aim for 1 second cold boot-to-game loading time. Using PCIe Gen 4 it can send out 5.5GB/s of raw data, or 8GB/s of compressed data, with a bespoke hardware decompressor, allowing it to fill the RAM in less than 2 seconds.

Expanded storage is all about SSDs too. PS5 will possibly support M.2 NVMe SSDs over PCIe 4.0 (which aren't available yet and are sure to cost an arm and a leg when PS5 is released) to allow tranfer speeds as fast as the internal drive. External USB HDDs will still be supported, but my speculation is that you will need to copy a game over to fast storage before you will be able to boot it up.

Another main feature will be the audio processor, some next-level tech. Sony says that it alone is almost as powerful as the entire PS4 CPU. They want to provide hundreds of sound sources (presence) and track them precisely in space (locality) at extremely high quality. They gave the example of the sound of rain. Currently it is presented as an audio recording that is played back as a single layer in the audio track, but the PS5 will be able to simulate the sound and location of hundreds of individual rain drops falling around the player. Added to this, Sony is implementing a head-shape simulation algorithm called Head-related Transfer Function that accounts for the shape of an individual player's head and ears to provide a realistic sound scape. Think binaural audio (here's an example: https://youtu.be/rKUqe50DzSg?t=98 <-- watch this with headphones on) but turned up to eleventy and you won't need headphones to hear it.

As for backwards compatibility right now it will be compatible with "most" of the top PS4 games right away, with further game compatibility to be provided later on hopefully I don't know.

sandydandy
March 19th, 2020, 10:24 PM
As for backwards compatibility right now it will be compatible with "most" of the top PS4 games right away, with further game compatibility to be provided later on hopefully I don't know. I read it’ll be backwards compatible with 100 PS4 games. That’s it, nothing older.

Not interested. Not even a little bit.

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2020, 12:13 AM
I know. It sucks. I want BC too, and I'm dying to play PS2 favourite of mine Dropship at 1080p.

But that's just the way it is, and Microsoft have always been more ahead in this regard. What they're doing is simply phenomenal.

Yw-slayer
March 20th, 2020, 01:38 AM
When this come out we can all GET WASTED

MR2 Fan
March 20th, 2020, 08:25 AM
I wonder what they mean by backwards compatible though.

That can mean many things...disc compatible (like the early PS3), software compatible, Playstation store "compatible" where you can just re-purchase older games?

stephenb
March 20th, 2020, 08:44 AM
I read it’ll be backwards compatible with 100 PS4 games. That’s it, nothing older.

Not interested. Not even a little bit.

If you were to watch Cerny's presentation you would see this is not entirely accurate. At present they have tested/looked at compatibility with the top 100 PS4 games by play time and it is expected work with "almost all of them". There is nothing to say they won't be able to increase this number before and after launch. See 27min mark of video.

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?t=1622

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2020, 01:40 PM
I wonder what they mean by backwards compatible though.

That can mean many things...disc compatible (like the early PS3), software compatible, Playstation store "compatible" where you can just re-purchase older games?

PS4 logic built into the CPU. No extra hardware. Guaranteed to not be removed if they go cost cutting and release a slim update. PS4 discs and digital games will just run natively.

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2020, 04:36 PM
Clarification on PS5 back-compat:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-20-sony-clarifies-overwhelming-majority-of-ps4-games-will-be-backward-compatible-on-ps5

Rare White Ape
April 7th, 2020, 06:00 PM
PlayStation 5 DualSense controller breaks cover.

https://d2skuhm0vrry40.cloudfront.net/2020/articles/2020-04-07-21-46/49747503557_566da5ebc8_3k.jpg

https://d2skuhm0vrry40.cloudfront.net/2020/articles/2020-04-07-21-46/49747502797_ba4ef26976_3k.jpg

Key points:
Haptic feedback a-la Nintendo Switch
Adaptive feedback triggers with variable tension
Mic array for easier chat
Create button to replace share button - whatever this means

Jason
April 7th, 2020, 08:42 PM
USB-C is the real story here

Blerpa
April 8th, 2020, 04:07 AM
I'd say the feedback triggers are the story here, actually.
With your own time, Sony... we are "only" in 2020, eh.

Rare White Ape
May 14th, 2020, 02:30 AM
UE5 demo announcement "running on PS5"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

Blerpa
May 14th, 2020, 02:52 AM
1440p, not able to render over 30fps, scripted with no moving objects. (italian Tom's Hardware article).
LOL next gen consoles are going to be a good laugh.

Kchrpm
May 14th, 2020, 06:35 AM
Eh, it's a tech demo for one engine focused on some specific tech, no need for the PC master race bullshit already.

Rare White Ape
May 14th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Pretty much.

All it boils down to is an art vs hardware debate.

The artistic vision of game developers moves somewhat ahead of what the hardware can do.

I noticed it ran at 30fps too but so what? It’s a demo.

And besides, name a graphics card on the market today that can run that demo at 4K/60. A 2080ti? A Titan RTX? You’re looking at 5x the cost of a PS5 in the GPU alone.

MR2 Fan
May 14th, 2020, 05:59 PM
I think a lot of that demo was for the devs more than gamers....to be able to substantially increase workflow on the dev side is huge and Unreal Engine is used for a lot of PC games also, it's not a PS5 thing

Rare White Ape
May 14th, 2020, 07:08 PM
I posted it here because it's "running on PS5" and because it's the first real glimpse of next-gen console gaming.

I do understand the PC aspect though.

Tom Servo
May 14th, 2020, 09:12 PM
I thought it looked spectacular (except the water simulation), and hope that their new lighting system might make endurance races that much cooler.

Kchrpm
May 15th, 2020, 04:12 AM
and hope that their new lighting system might make endurance races that much cooler.
Don't you give me false hope like that!

FaultyMario
May 21st, 2020, 06:01 PM
https://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/InstaNext-768x492.jpg (https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/05/20/gran-turismo-7-ps5-gt7-playstation-5-launch-games/)

Click on image. Careful because a bear might drop.

Rare White Ape
May 21st, 2020, 11:05 PM
Having been to the Next Level offices and met some of their employees, I highly doubt they have any inside info on Gran Turismo 7, or indeed any upcoming racing games. They're just plebs like us but they make okay racing seats.

If there is any involvement prior to launch, it'll be a distributor-run industry event close to release as part of the carefully managed marketing plan for the title. I've been to one, from the days when I worked for a retailer - it was for the PSP, which used retail hardware from overseas, because back in those days there was months to wait between JPN, US, and EU launches.

But I'd like to know what was going through the brain of whoever it was that made that graphic. It was either a calculated attempt by NLR's social media person to gain attention with a fake logo, or a very silly mistake.

Any speculation at this time amounts to pure not-news. The only word we ever get on this will be from Sony themselves.

Kchrpm
May 22nd, 2020, 03:56 AM
They have confirmed that they had no knowledge and just made a logo themselves to put on their image. It has definitely helped their visibility.

Rare White Ape
May 29th, 2020, 04:15 PM
Sony has outlined a few cross-compatibility requirements for PS4 and PS5.

They’re already stated that they’re not interested in having PS5 games backwards-compatible with PS4, unlike Microsoft who will have XSX games available to run in lower fidelity on XB1.

But they are requiring developers who submit a game for certification for PS4 after July 13 to be forwards-compatible with PS5 right from the get-go. Certification doesn’t mean release, though. For example Ghost of Tsushima comes out on July 17th but will have been certified prior to that. But that game is already all-but-confirmed to be a forward-compatible title.

Eurogamer has all the luscious details:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-05-29-new-ps4-games-must-be-playstation-5-compatible-from-july-sony-tells-devs

Rare White Ape
June 11th, 2020, 01:45 PM
We now know what the console looks like. There are two versions: a sleek diskless one, and one with a disk insert bulge.

I’m a fan of physical media but that diskless version looks so nice :(

https://youtu.be/RkC0l4iekYo

Jason
June 11th, 2020, 02:21 PM
Christ, their showcase knocked it out of the park. Really curious about release dates for some of the games announced.

Dicknose
June 11th, 2020, 05:22 PM
If its backwards compatible then discs are important for your existing library.
New to PS or maybe skipped PS4 then its probably much less of a factor. If you have the HD space then downloading games has some advantages - especially not swapping discs to play a different game.

MR2 Fan
June 11th, 2020, 05:38 PM
So "Into the Ratchet&Clankverse" looked good, GTA 5 now in 3 CONSOLE Generations, Gran Turismo 7 looks good, hope to see a huge car library and back to proper modding.

Spiderman looks good but I'm realizing I'm just not a big Spiderman fan overall

Console looks way too stylized and not very easy to put somewhere, even if you do lay it down. I wish they would keep it more basic

Freude am Fahren
June 11th, 2020, 09:12 PM
I think that is a stunning design. Glad it looks nothing like the rumored shape lol.

Rare White Ape
June 12th, 2020, 03:17 AM
Looks like a clam. A decidedly non-pink one.

I just watched a bunch of trailers of a few games that caught my eye. We are still firmly in the territory of games that are fully possible on current hardware, same as with the XSX trailers from last month. But right now for both consoles at the moment the hardware outstrips the vision of the art team, so it'll be another 12 months before they start really exploring what these things can do.

The new Horizon looks great, some parts of Zero Dawn were phenomenal so expect the same here. And RE8 looks crazy good. Deathloop looked awesome too - the art design is killer, like a 60s crime thriller.

GT7 is my pick of the bunch, but I don't know how far they will push the central GT theme in new directions. Looks like more of the same classic GT to me, which is a nice return to their roots. But I've played so much of GT Sport lately that I can see exactly where they are retreading current GT Sport tech. For example, the AI still looks like ass, and the car models look exactly like their GTS counterparts. They even use the same technique for rendering the trees on the trackside.

GT7 is one that will change a lot before it is released, because Polyphony always pushes the hardware to its limits.

MR2 Fan
June 12th, 2020, 06:29 AM
IMO The problem with GT is that we're already in pretty high res territory with cars/tracks, it's just a matter of filling out the game to the full experience compared to GT Sport. So any changes we see graphically will be incremental.

Of course you could say that about most games on newer hardware, it's more and more challenging to "wow" audiences graphically.

Jason
June 12th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Considering most of my gaming is on my Switch, I agree, graphics are pretty negligible for me. BUT processing capability goes well beyond graphics, I’m looking forward to things like better draw distance, or next to no loading screens between areas in various games.

Rare White Ape
August 3rd, 2020, 07:02 AM
Confirmed: wide PS5 compatibility for PS4 peripherals… depending on the situation.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/playstation-5-answering-your-questions-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

So VR, racing wheels, and PS4 controllers will work.

But you can’t use PS4 controllers on new games because they’ll take advantage of new features that the old controllers can’t provide.

Best news is that your thousand-dollar direct drive Fanatec wheel will be able to play PS5 racing games.

Dicknose
August 3rd, 2020, 06:17 PM
Thats good news.
Supporting aftermarket peripherals is more important than old controllers. You get a controller with it, a second is usually not as big expense as a wheel.

Kchrpm
August 4th, 2020, 03:38 AM
I am hoping that the PS5 is the cheapest, easiest way to get into online VR sim racing. No complicated balance of drivers and patches, just buy stuff off the shelf and go.

Not that it needs to be the PS5, I just want *something* to fit that criteria.

Kchrpm
September 16th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Official pricing announced:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/21886330/vlcsnap_2020_09_16_16h44m04s747.png

Rare White Ape
September 16th, 2020, 10:09 PM
Oooooooh the pricing for the digital only version is a bit of a kick in the dick to the Xbox Series S.

But I still think at launch the S is the best deal out of all of the new consoles, purely because of Game Pass.

At least until Sony hits its stride and pumps out all the exclusives like they did for PS4.

Kchrpm
September 17th, 2020, 03:14 AM
Sony is including 15+ major PS4 games with PlayStation Plus at no extra charge as their version of GamePass.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/16/21440388/playstation-plus-collection-ps5-ps4-games-titles

God of War
The Last of Us: Remastered
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Battlefield 1
Monster Hunter World
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous: Second Son
Days Gone
Bloodborne
Detroit: Become Human
Batman Arkham Knight
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Until Dawn
Resident Evil: Biohazard

Yw-slayer
September 17th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Well, I've already bought GoW and TLOU:R. So that means I only get 16 other games to own but won't have time to play!! :x

Rare White Ape
September 17th, 2020, 12:29 PM
I like how TLOU will now be playable across three console generations.

Dicknose
September 17th, 2020, 03:46 PM
Not a bad list - I suspect many will own some of those or got them via PS+ freebies.
But a good way to get people started on a new console

FaultyMario
October 21st, 2020, 08:59 AM
The only reason the PS5 is getting backwards compatibility is because Demon's Souls alone isn't going to move new consoles on its own, and bringing the recent generation over is much easier between these two generations. Sony learned the lesson from the PS3 that having a complicated architecture is like having weird parents—no one wants to come to your house to play.

The PS3 and Vita Are Being Buried Alive
It's only a matter of time before Sony kills access to PS3 and Vita games entirely. (https://www.vice.com/en/article/88a4ba/the-ps3-and-vita-are-being-buried-alive)

I hate board manufacturers. I was going to limit my hate to Intel, but they're all alike, right?

balki
October 21st, 2020, 02:42 PM
m3h, I can't complain.
I've gotten to the point where I think I've bought the same game three times now. Frankly I'm fine with that if I can finally get rid of my PS3 (and Dreamcast [once I can get Rez again]).
I don't actually see the PS5 phasing out PS4 compatibility.

It does seem like Microsoft is getting away from 12mo XBL for monthly (preferably Game Pass/Ultimate) subscriptions. As a casual I'm against paying $10-15/mo when I go weeks (sometimes months) without turning on the console.

Rare White Ape
October 21st, 2020, 05:48 PM
Rez is available on PS4 you know?

balki
October 21st, 2020, 06:46 PM
I do, but skipped the PS4 altogether (would have gotten one if there was a numbered Gran Turismo).
Can't find it for xbox (I know they had it for the X360 but it's not showing up anywhere for purchase). Microsoft did offer Ikaruga for free recently, so that was a big help on the Dreamcast front.

I will get Rez HD after GT7 launches.

Tom Servo
October 21st, 2020, 08:45 PM
It's also available on PC. And it's spectacular.

Rare White Ape
November 12th, 2020, 02:45 AM
So is anyone grabbing one of these today?

Yw-slayer
November 12th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Can't find one.

Although, like a cruel dude, I used an AR Filter to insert a PS5 box into a photo and have tricked a quite a lot of people into thinking I got one earlier this week. I had a livestreaming Youtuber friend who started begging me to let him stream from it. Oh, how I laughed, especially as he kept asking although my explanations were full of holes. I'm thinking about how to break it to him that he's been played.

Tom Servo
March 9th, 2021, 06:08 PM
Managed to track one down, but haven't had much of a chance to play with it. Downloading GT Sport now, and I transferred my save games which only took a few tries to figure out and looking at a non Sony website for the actual instructions.

I have it set up horizontally as it won't otherwise fit in my electronics cabinet. They claim the mount holds on to the console via friction for a stable base. They lie when they make that claim, the console will constantly try to leap off the base at the slightest provocation.

Hoping to get a couple of games installed and actually get to check it out. Really happy the controllers now charge over USB-C, one more mini-USB charger I can get rid of.

Rare White Ape
March 9th, 2021, 08:48 PM
The only good part (so far) about PS5 is the ability to play old games at higher frame rates :lol:

I suppose PC gaming is like that too.

BUT STILL...

Tom Servo
March 10th, 2021, 06:47 AM
It is kinda feeling that way! I went to go look at the top rated titles so far and there are only a couple that got decent reviews that aren't just higher resolution remakes of older titles, many of which I've got on my PC. Almost seems like everyone got caught off guard that it was coming out.

I never did finish The Last of Us, maybe this'll be my excuse to try again.

Jason
March 10th, 2021, 01:08 PM
I got one over the holidays, currently play mostly Genshin Impact (PS4 title) and NBA 2k21 (PS5 title), so I’m probably not getting “full use” out of it. That being said, instant load times, and it being super quiet have been nice, as well as USB-C controller charging. Looking forward to finally playing FF7 Remake when the PS5 version hits, and then Horizon 2 and GT 7 whenever they launch :)

dodint
March 11th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the jump to PS5 from PS4 is bigger than the jump from PS3 to PS4. Cool.

Tom Servo
March 11th, 2021, 04:17 PM
Tried out that free game that comes with it, Astro something or other. The haptic feedback on the controller is something else. The adaptive triggers could also be huge for racing sims.

21Kid
March 18th, 2021, 01:24 PM
The controller is my favorite part.

Playing Borderlands 3, different guns have different trigger resistances.

dodint
March 18th, 2021, 02:28 PM
My uncle decided to buy one today. He didn't realize they were still sold out. Doh. :lol:

Kchrpm
March 18th, 2021, 06:14 PM
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/22337700/sony-new-ps5-playstation-5-vr-controllers-features

TheBenior
July 23rd, 2022, 11:16 AM
My wife tracked down a PS5 via Walmart Plus back in May as a birthday gift for me. Unfortunately, after finishing up Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, from June in to July I had a stretch where I worked 25 out of 27 days due to forced overtime. Because of that, the only games I've played have been the Astro's Playroom game/tech demo, and I've started playing the PS5 version of the 2018 God of War.

In storage weirdness, I bought an Adata XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2 TB, which was well reviewed and is advertised as PS5 compatible. However, my PS5 refused to recognize it. It worked fine in an external housing when plugged in to my laptop, and didn't need a firmware update, so I returned it.

I bought a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, because it was on sale during Amazon Prime Day. The PS5 detected and formatted it right away, getting 6511 MB/s of the rated "up to 7,000 MB/s" read speed. Hell if I know why my PS5 detected 1 PCIe Gen 4 SSD and not another, but at least this one works, and my PS5 doesn't have a bum expansion port.

Rare White Ape
January 31st, 2023, 01:52 AM
Unrelated to PlayStation 5, but posting this here because believe it or not I couldn't find a PS4 thread...

But, I bought a PS4 and a Kambrook tower fan on the same day in the same transaction about 8 or 9 years ago, circa 2014.

That fan got dragged from my bedroom to the loungeroom and back again every freakin day in summer for 7 or more years, until I moved to a house with stairs in-between my room and the lounge, facilitating the purchase of a second Kambrook tower fan so that they each had their own spot.

Well, this morning that original tower fan would not switch on. I had it on all day yesterday allowing for some air to circulate for the cats while I was at work. The digital readout display works like there's nothing wrong, but the blade rotates ever so slowly like the bearing has gone kaput or something. Dead... and replaced already this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the PS4 I bought that day got some good use. I replaced it with a PS4 Pro in 2018 and sold the old one along with a brand new controller to my brother, who continues to use it every day for hours on end. It's still going strong.

As they used to say, it was...

AWESOME VALUE

Yw-slayer
January 31st, 2023, 05:35 AM
HI 5 BRAH

SkylineObsession
April 15th, 2023, 01:25 AM
So, long story short, wifey really wanted a PS5 and i was very underwhelmed with my PS4 Pro, and EB Games were doing a really good trade in deal, and wifey had EB Games credit to use, plus some other gifted money (possibly gift cards given to her by her boss at work) and other EB member benefits.

Rewind to December (?) last year.

PS5 with God Of War bundle was going for $1,099 NZD ($682 USD) or something.
If you traded in a PS4 or PS4 Pro, a PS4 game plus a controller then the price went down to $500-600 (?) depending on game/PS4 or PS4 Pro etc. So i got rid of my Pro.
Then she added her gift cards (?).
Then got the EB games member discounts.

Then we walked out of the store with a $300-$310 NZD ($186-$192 USD) or so PS5. :D :lol:

Quickly sold the digital code for God Of War (never played those games as neither of us find them interesting) and bought Horizon Forbidden West.

I like the menu system on the PS5, and how you can still play PS4 games.

So far the only PS5 game i've played is GT7 (because i got the anniversary edition for PS4, which came with the physical PS5 copy too) and really love the stupidly short loading times. Other than that though i didn't really notice much of a visual jump from the PS4 version, it took a comparison video of PS4 GT7 and PS5 GT7 to actually see the differences.

I'm still working my way through my way-too-many PS4 game collection before i try any PS5 games. Because in the past when we've jumped straight to a new console, we've never gone back to the previous one to start/finish the games still to get through.

But yeah, never buying an Xbox or Playstation .5 again (aka PS4 Pro, Xbox One X) because it seemed like a lot of money for not much difference. We'll just stick to the big main releases. But at this stage i've got no plans to buy the new Xbox Series X or S, as i barely play the One X as it is.

Kchrpm
April 15th, 2023, 03:31 PM
I was pretty happy with my decision skip the mid cycle upgrade for the last gen and jump straight to the new gen. The difference in graphics and load time was enough to make my current games feel new. Similarly, I'm not too interested in getting a Switch OLED while my original is still going strong.

Rare White Ape
April 15th, 2023, 08:27 PM
I’m completely uninterested in current Gen gaming consoles, apart from Switch.

I may have a Zelda OLED switch on pre-order… or I may cancel it. I must have a mark on my head because I think Nintendo knows I am a complete sucker for Zelda themed hardware.

But anyway, the only thing that would've potentially drawn me to the latest consoles was GT7, but they completely fucked that ball in the arse, or VR, and the price of asking for that rivals a decently loaded PC.

So no. Not awesome value anymore. Sorry YW. ONLY PS4 WAS AWESOME VALUE.

Blerpa
April 16th, 2023, 02:23 AM
I find myself in a similar situation as RWA.
Last console I owned AND PLAYED WITH was the original fat first gen PS2: I've an Xbox One S bought for 28 euro (my bank did gift me a 200 euro amazon card back then) and I've used mainly as an UHD BD Player and multimedia machine (before I got the Nvidia Shield TV Pro).
I have not looked in console in years.
I was curious about the PS5 because of GT7 but that game seems like a sterile time pit made for grinding, so I rather not spend 650 euro for a single game.
Thankfully I'm not into Nintendo stuff at all.

Rare White Ape
April 16th, 2023, 03:48 AM
a sterile pit made for grinding

Actually that sounds pretty nice.

Yw-slayer
April 16th, 2023, 08:14 AM
NO MORE HI 5 BRAH

Zevious Zoquis
September 8th, 2023, 07:43 AM
New PS5 owner here. My PS4 crapped out a while back and since PS4's themselves are pretty rare and pricey now anyway I finally just decided to go with the 5 since prices have normalized a bit. Got the Digital Edition for $519CDN. I don't have any actual PS5 games though (honestly, pretty out of the loop on current gen stuff and mostly completely uninterested in FPS and what not), just PS4 stuff I can D/L from my PSN account. But GT Sport and Wipeout Omega are fantastic on the PS5.

Zevious Zoquis
September 9th, 2023, 04:40 AM
so...PS5 - horizontal or vertical? What's your jam?

dodint
September 9th, 2023, 05:22 AM
I'm waiting for the redesign so I can fit it through the doorway of my home.

Tom Servo
September 9th, 2023, 07:18 AM
Mine's horizontal, but that's just because it fits into the entertainment center that way, vertical would have to be either on the floor or on top of the cabinet, and either way one of the cats would invariably knock it over.

Zevious Zoquis
September 9th, 2023, 09:28 AM
I was vertical for a few days. Now I'm horizontal. I don't like the way the vents are open to settling dust in the vertical position. Horizontally, the side panel provides a bit of a canopy over the vents. Maybe placebo but whatevs.

Freude am Fahren
September 11th, 2023, 09:09 AM
I have cats. Horizontal.

MR2 Fan
September 11th, 2023, 01:16 PM
I might pick up a PS5 soon, but struggling to see what games I want (going to buy when FFVII Rebirth is released for sure).

I already have a lot of games on my PS4 Pro like GT7, not sure what else is PS5 exclusive or way better on PS5 that I'd be interested in, or also that I can't just get on PC.

Rare White Ape
September 11th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Yeah with Sony publishing it’s exclusives on PC now there’s literally only one title that’s not on PC that I’d be interested in, and it’s Gran Turismo. But it’s on PS4 which I already have, and it was lukewarm anyway.

Zevious Zoquis
September 11th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Yeah if it wasn't for the fact that my PS4 died and I had a number of games I'd grabbed from the PS Store for it that I"d barely touched, I wouldn't really have been looking at the PS5. But having it now, I must say I'm really enjoying the PS4 games on it. I like that it's back compatible and gives a nice performance boost to games that struggled to stick to 60fps. The biggest surprise to me has been the first Project Cars game. I installed it a few days ago and I've been playing it non-stop. It's great! Spent some time getting the contoller settings sorted but I've got it working very nicely and the game is just loaded with great content.

Tom Servo
September 11th, 2023, 04:53 PM
I'm kinda where RWA is. I actually hadn't fired up my PS5 in like 8 months until my wife expressed an interest in playing Diablo IV co-op with me and our neighbor, and it's finally getting some life again.

BTW, it's pretty great playing with me on my computer and her on the PS5 in the same room, it's like two-screen couch mode.

Zevious Zoquis
September 19th, 2023, 06:56 AM
Picked up the Quake 2 remaster a couple days ago. It's pretty cool for a tenner.

Rare White Ape
September 19th, 2023, 05:54 PM
I played it on PC through Game Pass for a bit. I’d go so far as to say it’s fucking awesome.

Zevious Zoquis
September 20th, 2023, 02:07 AM
Yeah it's great. I really have no interest in modern first-person shooter stuff at all. But I love the older ones...and I also think there's something to be said for visuals that don't actually look like reality at all. The stylized world in Quake 2 looks amazing.

balki
November 8th, 2023, 07:14 AM
PS5 slim coming this month.
Slightly less massive and a full 1TB.
Same price for the disc version in the US, digital is $50 more.
Roughly the same design, just cheaper looking.