PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out 5.1 audio form PC

Rare White Ape
April 24th, 2019, 06:06 PM
So here's a weird problem for you.

I've built my new computer and I'm running sound out of it through HDMI, but it doesn't seem to be playing back surround sound audio from the rear speakers.

EXCEPT if I use the Windows 10 Netflix app - it outputs surround sound just fine. Weird huh?

My setup is thus:

HDMI direct from motherboard
> Into Sony TV
> From Sony TV via optical
> Into Denon AV Amp

Things to note:
- As I mentioned, 5.1 from the Netflix app works, while playback of video from VLC etc doesn't.
- I could simplify the route by connecting the PC directly into the amp, however it doesn't accept a 4K signal, so I'd lose that (unless I upgrade my amp but that ain't happening... yet).
- My TV is set up to pass 5.1 audio through to the amplifier. My PS4 is connected the same way and the audio is played back correctly.
- If I right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray it always defaults back to stereo (Netflix still plays in 5.1).
- And if I go to the configuration window in the advanced sounds settings to test the speakers (see example pic below) I can't get it to show the side pair instead of rear pair, and testing them just maps the audio for the center and rear channels through the front main speakers.

https://i.imgur.com/M91yKrI.png

I think just about the only thing that could be causing the issue is that the PC can't 'see' the amplifier through the TV and therefore won't allow me to route 5.1 out of the HDMI cable (and I did test a direct PC to amp connection and it does work properly), but it's super puzzling because the Netflix app just does it anyway.

I'm hoping that when I get a GPU I can just use two HDMI cables and send the video and audio separately and solve my problem. But for now I wonder if anyone knows of a solution, or even a way to force 5.1 out of the motherboard and let the TV handle it?

drew
April 26th, 2019, 02:03 AM
All I can say, this shit can be a bitch. I used to have a PC connected to the TV as a media server/cable box, it was hell getting it to work properly.

If the TV is a pass-through, it shouldn't really matter to the PC if it "sees" the amplifier or not. Have you tried a straight optical/Toslink to the receiver from the PC?

Yw-slayer
April 26th, 2019, 06:26 AM
I remember reading somewhere about how some of the older Intel chipsets have problems outputting 5.1 via HDMI. Things like this: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XOwSAM/nuc7i7bnh-many-issue-with-hdmi?language=en_US and https://community.roonlabs.com/t/5-1-not-selectable-for-hdmi-output-intel-display-audio/19508

So, uh, buy a graphics card?

21Kid
April 28th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Can you output to the amp via HDMI? Maybe it is the two different connection types?

Does the TV have an audio option for surround sound? Maybe the ARC is sensing "stereo" if it's set up that way from the TV?

Rare White Ape
April 28th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Yes to all the above.

Next time I’m fiddling with it I might see if there’s an app or a hack that forces 5.1 from the mobo HDMI output.

drew
April 30th, 2019, 01:57 AM
While I don't know the technical difference, there is technically a difference between the HDMI standards (1.4/2.1/whatever nonsense), as well as HDCP. It may be an incompatible combination between PC - TV - Receiver?

Rare White Ape
April 30th, 2019, 02:41 AM
Well, here’s a screenshot of my properties screen. You can see that it supports 6 channels, HDCP, and a bunch of formats.

https://i.imgur.com/eMalg5e.png

The point is, Windows stubbornly refuses to allow me to chose 5.1, so I can’t play games or watch video in surround sound. Except for when I use the Netflix app where audio just comes out of my home theatre in the correct manner.

It’s both weird and frustrating.

Rare White Ape
April 30th, 2019, 02:46 AM
Oh yeah and I am using an HDMI 2.0 cable, the one that came with my Xbox One S, so it definitely supports whatever data my PC can push into it.

FaultyMario
April 30th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a Windows problem. Wished tsg was around to troubleshoot.

mk
May 1st, 2019, 04:25 AM
What's the default device in audio control panel?

Rare White Ape
May 1st, 2019, 05:56 AM
The default is the TV that I have it plugged into.

mk
May 1st, 2019, 08:59 AM
(since the last I've generated +1,7C feaver, pah)
(nothing else, another pah, I guess)
(shouldn't change the thougt process, yet)

If you disconnect TV or AMP you should see something changing there.

Have you asked VLC support, you can't be the first one.

mk
May 1st, 2019, 10:38 PM
I read that after 1804 version some audio settings are gone.

Old one is mmsys.cpl

(fever is gone also, took ~9 hours, watta...)

Rare White Ape
May 3rd, 2019, 10:05 PM
I was mucking around just now and tried the S/PDIF output direct from my motherboard to the amplifier. It also doesn't output 5.1 sound. It should just work.

Anyway, while I was searching about for information on that, I came across this post:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-the-optical-s-pdif-port-windows10/

Right at the bottom in the last paragraph it has links to how-tos for messing with the Realtek driver settings. I'm going to metaphorically roll up my metaphorical sleeves and get to work.

mk
May 5th, 2019, 11:47 PM
My machine has a displayport but display is analog so I can't get its audio even appearing.

On simple possibility is that device maker has let royalties unpaid.
It's then totally application based issue.

FaultyMario
September 29th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Can different software audio sources be routed to different hardware devices in Win10?

Say I send WM player signal to a BT device and the firefox audio to the front panel headphone jack... possible?

Tom Servo
September 29th, 2019, 01:59 PM
I know that software can have the ability to enumerate audio devices and use the non-default devices for recording and playback, e.g., Google Hangouts I believe lets you select what device you want for a microphone and speakers regardless of what the system settings are. I'm not sure, however, that you can have the OS route that itself if the app doesn't do it on its own.

EDIT: I haven't tested this, but it looks like you can - https://www.howtogeek.com/352787/how-to-set-per-app-sound-outputs-in-windows-10/

FaultyMario
September 29th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Hey cool!