PDA

View Full Version : Corvette C8 - Finally a mid-engined Corvette

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2019, 06:51 AM
https://www.motor1.com/news/360672/c8-corvette-2020-chevy-debut/

https://www.motortrend.com/corvette/

https://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2019/07/2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-3.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&fit=around|660:372

I like it, and I also like that color, reminds me of that one that Lambo used in the early 2000's

I've heard "under $60K" or "around $70K" for prices, not sure which is more accurate.

dodint
July 19th, 2019, 07:31 AM
The entry level model is confirmed at 'less than $60k" by Reuss. So, $59,999 if you are willing to stick with those ugly wheels and find a way to get one with no options. ;)

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2019, 07:46 AM
yeah, I would definitely change out the wheels either way.

Cam
July 19th, 2019, 09:08 AM
I would swear that's a new Ferrari. :erm:

Tom Servo
July 19th, 2019, 09:11 AM

I'm curious how this will play with the Corvette fans. It really does look more Ferrari than Corvette. My guess is that it'll be the best performing Corvette yet and that the Corvette's longest-time fans will hate it.

JoeW
July 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM
They should have made an effort to go back to the round taillights.

George
July 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM
I also like that color, reminds me of that one that Lambo used in the early 2000's

Is that Power Beige or Victory Taupe?

Either way, I like it too. Quiet, yet different.

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2019, 11:04 AM
Is that Power Beige or Victory Taupe?

Either way, I like it too. Quiet, yet different.

I dunno

Anyway, this could be the first decent mid/rear engined GM production car ever made

XHawkeye
July 19th, 2019, 03:02 PM
The "best" comment on twitter: "The most important question about the new Corvette: does it come with chrome wheels?" (https://twitter.com/AxisOfOversteer/status/1152047984202276866)

Rare White Ape
July 19th, 2019, 03:27 PM

When I first saw it I thought it looked like a front-engined Ferrari!

Some parts of its styling really set me off, like those awkwardly forward-raked air scoops on the side. But I guess it leaves room for the inevitable better-looking up-spec performance models that they’ll release down the track.

Anyway, I haven’t seen Keith online for a day-or-so. Is he busy trying to peel the socks off the floor in his bedroom after seeing this :p

dodint
July 19th, 2019, 04:10 PM
He can speak for himself, but I have him quoted as saying "It's fine."

Godson
July 19th, 2019, 04:25 PM
I thought I would hate it. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth selling everything and eating ramen...

FaultyMario
July 19th, 2019, 04:48 PM
I thought I would hate it. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth selling everything and eating ramen...

No. At least for the first production lot. It's still a GM product.

Rare White Ape
July 19th, 2019, 05:36 PM
This morning it has been confirmed that the Corvette will be produced in right-hand-drive for the first time ever, so it’ll be able to be sold in other markets. Holden will be selling them in Australia starting early next year.

SkylineObsession
July 19th, 2019, 08:47 PM
To me this is kinda similar to how Nissan broke the GT-R away from the Skyline family. Corvettes have never (?) been mid engined, so to me this is the Corvette being transformed into something it was probably never meant to be, like the GT-R.

Both Nissan and Chevrolet should have used different names for these products, in my opinion.

neanderthal
July 19th, 2019, 10:17 PM
I'm not too sure about the hard creases and so on in the styling. I'm thinking it'll date really quick.

I agree they should have tried to go back to the round lights.

And softer lines...

dodint
July 20th, 2019, 06:00 AM
To me this is kinda similar to how Nissan broke the GT-R away from the Skyline family. Corvettes have never (?) been mid engined, so to me this is the Corvette being transformed into something it was probably never meant to be, like the GT-R.

Both Nissan and Chevrolet should have used different names for these products, in my opinion.

The C7 should still be going alongside the C8 as a halo car, under the stand alone Corvette brand. Then in 3 years release the Corvette SUV and print money.

FaultyMario
July 20th, 2019, 06:24 AM
You mean like Cadillac?

dodint
July 20th, 2019, 07:20 AM
Exactly.

Sad, little man
July 20th, 2019, 07:23 AM
They should have brought this out, but with the announcement that they were bringing back the Pontiac Fiero nameplate, and discontinuing the Corvette to focus all their efforts on this new Fiero. :lol:

dodint
July 20th, 2019, 07:36 AM
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67197821_2782641261750411_1867710354511888384_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQlbNAAYCybVfm6GpXUpW7mSU08-LaGKE8kCaFTNX4hGXVVOPZARbI4eAPT630G2PzanDtUFJxa9jl hNl7f4oD3z&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0c994b6a078fe012da103b749ac02dca&oe=5DB461AB

XHawkeye
July 20th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Robert Cumberford: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Design Analysis: “I’m Sorry, but I’m Disappointed”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-mid-engine-design-analysis/

I am deeply sorry to be severely disappointed by the styling of the C8. I hoped for something really new and exciting, not a boringly generic supercar, mostly indistinguishable from the many and varied unimaginative devices that show up regularly at the Geneva auto show. Its styling is confused—and downright messy in fact. I count a dozen horizontal lines, not to mention four convoluted taillights; four nice rectangular exhaust tips; plus varied slots, vents, grilles, indented surfaces, and wing elements . . . just across the rear fascia. The front is no better, and the profile with its short, stumpy nose is equally surprising. Maybe it’s all meant to look purposeful, but to me it seems just a careless, cluttered graphic composition, not worthy of Corvette history and what we expect of this technically brilliant descendant of the Jaguar-inspired elegant original C1 from 1953.

I have no doubt that this will be a very good car, with truly world class performance coupled with American-style daily usefulness and (perhaps) easy servicing—dry-sump engines are not typical dealer shop fare. But I’d have liked to see some traces of the Astrovette or the four-rotor mid-engine concept from the Bill Mitchell era.

MR2 Fan
July 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM
If this was closer to the Supra price, it would be difficult to justify getting a Supra over it IMO

Godson
July 21st, 2019, 09:40 AM
Ummmm, only 10k difference, and a massive performance differential.

Freude am Fahren
July 21st, 2019, 12:31 PM
I'm waiting to see what they do with the Z06/ZR1 or whatever the high performance versions will be.

Also, what they will do with the Camaro with a lot more headroom for performance and price, and really since they are different enough types of cars, they could be similar in those areas to not completely step on each other.

dodint
July 21st, 2019, 04:17 PM
The current posture is that the Camaro is out of production in 2023.

Dicknose
July 21st, 2019, 06:04 PM
This morning it has been confirmed that the Corvette will be produced in right-hand-drive for the first time ever, so it’ll be able to be sold in other markets. Holden will be selling them in Australia starting early next year.

And probably for not much more than the needs-RHD-conversion Camaro!

IMOA
July 21st, 2019, 08:40 PM
Ummmm, only 10k difference, and a massive performance differential.

Yeah, gotta say that with a 10k price differential given the performance differential it's going to make people queuing up for a Supra think twice. There's already people withdrawing their deposits for the new GT4 and getting this instead. It really monsters that achievable dream car end of the market.

Phil_SS
July 22nd, 2019, 05:50 AM
Agreed. I think this is an amazing achievement from GM and I applaud their efforts.

I can now look forward and think that how cool will it be to pick one of these up for 30K in 5-6 years. I'm psyched!

MR2 Fan
July 22nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
I do want to wait for reviews and owners thoughts on this, before saying it's the best thing ever, though I know that probably the best work GM does is in their Corvette models.

CudaMan
July 22nd, 2019, 06:24 AM
Agreed. I think this is an amazing achievement from GM and I applaud their efforts.

I can now look forward and think that how cool will it be to pick one of these up for 30K in 5-6 years. I'm psyched!
^Yup. Hope they sell a lot of them and they don't suck.

It seems like GM is going after a younger fresher audience with the C8. CorvetteBuyer is aging. It does also make sense what they are saying about power levels and weight distribution, if they want to keep making the car faster and faster on a track. The younger buyers in particular will appreciate the incredible price/performance ratio.

I read an interview today where one of the engineers was talking about the structural and packaging interplay between the front wheel well and the drivers legs. It sounded like a 3rd pedal would be ergonomically awkward, or, more probably, unlikely altogether. This also left me with the question - how much front wheel/tire will fit?

I'm excited about it. Half the photos I see I think "this looks nice." The other half leave me disappointed. I do think it'll age poorly, it almost seems generic and in no way classically beautiful. So many slightly awkward lines and creases, so many angles overall yet it doesn't pull off the wild Lamborghini look. I saw a C7 Z06 yesterday and in contrast to the images of the C8, the C7 seemed simple and elegant. But not boring.

Seems to me the ZL1 Camaro is the new Corvette. Honestly having autocrossed both the newest 1LE-equipped Camaros and a few C7s, I'd personally choose the Camaro even if price no object. It's a better drivers car. The C8 looks to be moving the performance bar further from the Camaro. Let's hope the C8 can also improve on driver feel.

Supra does look a little silly now, but my guess is it will be better at daily driving than the C8 so it may still have relevance beyond the nostalgia factor.

dodint
July 22nd, 2019, 06:36 AM
I mentioned it elsewhere but I agree with your last thought. I love the idea of the C8 as a Track Night toy. But I can't picture what else I'd use it for in an enjoyable way. I wouldn't want to sit in bumper to bumper traffic and park it in a garage all day at work.

JoeW
July 22nd, 2019, 08:27 AM
I prefer the C6 Z07 look over the C7 and C8.

Kchrpm
July 22nd, 2019, 11:10 AM
RE: long time/aging Corvette fans, after seeing how curious and excited the people at the Corvette Museum for the Le Mans race each year are for the mid engined car, I've been thinking that we're over estimating their objections. They were alive for the concept cars, they remember the story of Zora wanting to make a mid-engined, AWD car to handle the output of a big block, and they still like the idea of being faster than a Ferrari for a third of the price.

Does it look like a Ferrari? Yes. Every modern Corvette has looked a bit like a front-engined Ferrari from the previous 5-10 years. Now they will look like a mid-engined Ferrari from the last 5-10 years. It is not a bad thing to look like a Ferrari, perform just as well if not better, and cost $100k+ less. Hint: that's kind of their market. They have always been the American version of a European sports car, since service men were bringing back the little British sports car they saw/bought while deployed in WW2.

If the car had a manual transmission, I'd probably talk myself into loving it. Once there's a hybrid+NA V8 version, I probably will. For now, I can say that this is the best Corvette ever made while personally preferring the C7 Grand Sport.

And I agree, the wheel choices are not good. One of the easiest things to fix in future model years, though.

Crazed_Insanity
July 23rd, 2019, 12:30 PM
I thought it's a good looking car... I wouldn't be surprised GM eventually come up with an electric version to compete with Tesla Roadster... the Chevy Jolt!!! :D

Previous body styling with the long nose probably wouldn't be ideal for an EV...

Anyway, feel sorry for Supras, NSX, or whatever Japanese can offer... it is mind boggling how GM can do supercars so cheaply.

Freude am Fahren
July 23rd, 2019, 06:06 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it doesn't look at all like a Ferrari? Maybe they shouldn't have used red for a launch color, and those wheels.

I think it looks like a Corvette. They did a good job of taking a C7 and making it mid-engined. But the rear is still kinda icky.

Godson
July 23rd, 2019, 06:59 PM
Ummmm. Not use red for a Corvette ...

You do know there is a saying among the Corvette faithful "All Corvettes are red, everything else is just a primer."

neanderthal
July 23rd, 2019, 09:32 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it doesn't look at all like a Ferrari? Maybe they shouldn't have used red for a launch color, and those wheels.

I think it looks like a Corvette. They did a good job of taking a C7 and making it mid-engined. But the rear is still kinda icky.

Looks like a generic try- too-hard- mid engined sports car.
I really don't like the lines. The Acura is ... awkwardly styled, but I think it does this style better.

Honestly if they would have based this on the styling language of the C6 it might have gone better, IMO. Then again, I really like the C6 styling.

FaultyMario
July 24th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Ummmm. Not use red for a Corvette ...

You do know there is a saying among the Corvette faithful "All Corvettes are red, everything else is just a primer."

I thought its color was yellow.

As in, Ford's got the blues.

CudaMan
July 24th, 2019, 08:54 AM
The more pictures I see, the more it hits me that there's no flow to the design. Its proportions are decent, but every surface seems to be broken up by odd angles in multiple planes. In light colors, all the body seams around the side windows, hatch, and roof are off-puttingly random, too.

It probably will look best in black or very dark colors. With different wheels.

But I'll go back to the lesson my AW11 taught me. The driving experience far outweighs how a car looks, to me.

I don't get the Fiero meme either. Other than it being a mid-engined product from GM, they share no similarities.

Kchrpm
July 24th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Memes don't have to make sense, they just have to be low hanging fruit.

Jason
July 26th, 2019, 12:32 PM
I like it. But I'm also not the target audience.

MR2 Fan
July 27th, 2019, 12:14 PM
I would understand if Corvette owners don't like the mid-engined layout, if only because it seems it may be a lot more tricky to work on the engine (if existing Corvette owners enjoy doing that)

balki
July 28th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Based on the one picture in the original post it looks great (and on throws wheels); thought it was a 458
Doesn’t look nearly as good in brighter colors and most other angles.
Regardless, that they kept it well under $100k is amazing

samoht
December 19th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Fantastic in-depth interview with the head engineer, if you like learning about car design this is brilliant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfXm1Yczdo&feature=youtu.be

XHawkeye
March 24th, 2020, 01:41 PM
How to remove the transmission. Link if you need to waste time in the wasteland of a reddit thread. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/fo3fvi/im_replacing_the_transmission_in_a_32_mile_c8/?sort=top)

GM dealer technician here. Vehicle has 32 miles on it, driven conservatively in accordance with recommended break in procedures. The transmission has developed a small fluid leak, and is setting a DTC for the limited slip differential fluid pressure. After going through various levels of technical assistance and action center personnel, Tremec has opted to tear the unit down themselves. So, I get to put a box in it. I figured some of you would be interested in seeing one get torn apart, so I'll be adding pictures as I go today and likely tomorrow. So far, nothing earthshattering. The rear suspension comes apart a lot easier than the C7, but the engine support fixture is a bear. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll see if I can get an answer.

Update - subframe is on the ground, I have to go poke at something else for awhile. Heres an album with some notes. I'm on mobile, let me know if the album doesnt work.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RPQUg3f

Update 2 - trans is out. Took longer than anticipated, between putting out fires elsewhere and waiting on a cadillac dealer up the road to drop off the support fixturing - its repurposed from the 2.0t removal in the 2019 XT4. Overall, not a bad job. It's a little tight, but pulling the motor forward with a strap yields plenty of room to get the input shaft clear of the flywheel. Of course, GM will decide to pay me about 6 hours for the R+R, but for now, the labor ops are straight time across the platform. I'll update again during reassembly if anything interesting comes up, but let me know if you want to see anything in particular.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7L8BLnR

XHawkeye
April 2nd, 2020, 06:20 AM
https://youtu.be/maXXp-T5IA0

GB
June 14th, 2020, 07:41 PM
Oops.

CudaMan
July 25th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Can confirm, the C8 does not suck on track. The car I drove had coilovers so I can't speak to the stock spring/damper package. It generated very high cornering speeds when you consider it was on street tires, but to be fair I don't know Cup 2s specifically (maybe they're really amazing?). The car could use a little bit more rear downforce at high speed - that was the biggest missed opportunity I noticed.

Kchrpm
July 25th, 2020, 12:50 PM
Could the high wing package provide such rear downforce?

CudaMan
July 25th, 2020, 01:12 PM
According to a friend who ordered it, it provides the same downforce as the low Z51 wing but with less drag. The car I drove had the standard Z51 winglet.

JoeW
January 4th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I just want to say that the more of these that I see out on the road, the uglier that I think that they are.

Kchrpm
January 4th, 2021, 01:20 PM
I just want to say that the more of these that are sold, the more likely I am to find the right car to buy as a trade-in. Which, going by build numbers, what I'm looking for may have only been made approximately 65 times out of the almost 200,000 total C7s produced.

drew
January 4th, 2021, 01:43 PM
I haven't ruled out a 2015 Z06 yet, if for no other reason, clutch pedal...

MR2 Fan
October 26th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Z06 Specs released...wow. 670hp from a Naturally Aspirated V8. To compare, the McLaren F1 had ~620hp from a NA V12. Lots of other big upgrades as well from the base model

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38060129/2023-chevy-c8-corvette-z06-c8-stingray-compared/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowR%26T&fbclid=IwAR2EDjMj-XnvBUxfkJvrUPM60T0HuthuavzXs0sz01fYj3WBLMUfv1zUqLQ

JoeW
October 26th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Still fugly

dodint
October 26th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Another flavor of vanilla.

Crazed_Insanity
October 27th, 2021, 08:35 AM
I dunno, I kinda like vanilla... :p

It's not something that I'd drool over, but they will definitely turn my head when I see them on the street. 1st time I saw one of them in RL from far away, I thought it's some new Ferrari or something...

samoht
October 27th, 2021, 10:09 AM
Tech spec reminds me of a Ferrari 458. Pretty cool that you can still get a high-revving nat-asp V8 supercar brand new in 2022.

Crazed_Insanity
October 27th, 2021, 10:46 AM
458 is definitely one of my favorite Ferraris because of its high revving engine and its sound, but I think this new Corvette could probably beat that Ferrari on track?

If I were Jay Leno rich, I'd definitely collect both cars..., but since I'm not Jay Leno, I'll just have to settle with my S2000.

Thank God for Honda for building an affordable sports car that revs like a supercar. ;) I'm just a sucker for high revving engines... maybe I should learn to ride a bike...

MR2 Fan
October 28th, 2021, 01:41 PM
The C8 styling to me is like the proportions of a 458-esque Ferrari with Lamborghini angles in many areas, with a little bit of C7 Vette but not much

dodint
October 28th, 2021, 02:12 PM
It's 98% NSX, to me.

Dicknose
October 28th, 2021, 03:03 PM
And they have announced the Z06 will be built in RHD

Currently there are a small number of RHD Vettes in Australia, but these are official conversions - which also makes them expensive.
But C8 Stingrays and then Z06 will be coming as factory RHD.

Crazed_Insanity
November 2nd, 2021, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I think I like this car precisely because it looks and sounds like the 458, but yeah, it also still looks like a Vette and cheaper too! :D

Even if I'm a billionaire, NSX would be at the bottom of my list... I love the original one, but the new one just hasn't grown on me still... could be because of my disappointment with Honda's F-1 involvement... I don't mind that they didn't win, but I dislike that they just quit. Maybe if they come up with a Max Edition NSX then perhaps I'll move it higher up the list... ;)

Anyway, for sure I'd buy this Vette if I have the money. I think GM has done a decent job building affordable supercars as always.

Crazed_Insanity
November 11th, 2021, 08:04 AM
I just saw this car in Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube... this Z06 has an one off engine that's not shared with any other GM cars? Wow.

Pretty sure this car will be sold with huge margins above MSRP and its value will likely rise later still... whereas NSX currently is heavily discounted...

Seriously, manufacturers don't make cars like that anymore. No turbo, no hybrid BS... If you cannot afford the T50, this is probably the best alternative? ;)

Kchrpm
November 11th, 2021, 09:24 AM
C8 related: Chevrolet has confirmed they will participate in GTD Pro with the C8R in 2022, and will have a 2024 C8 GT3 car available for customers in 2024

https://twitter.com/CorvetteRacing/status/1458826861371265026

https://www.imsa.com/news/2021/11/11/corvette-confirms-gtd-pro-entry-for-2022-customer-gt3-race-car-for-2024/?fbclid=IwAR03b805kPb6B8J_yVcp6OuU8gfhghmDIyuY4Nzz Em-gf0RSI6tEvgVPnQo

Rare White Ape
November 11th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Look sexy-as in race car spec.

Rare White Ape
May 4th, 2022, 04:16 PM
So firstly GM turned the world around by making a mid-engined Corvette.

Now they're releasing a hybrid, and also a full electric 'Vette!

The hybrid might have 1000 hp!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39813141/corvette-ev-confirmed/

Godson
May 4th, 2022, 04:30 PM
So, i forgot I didn't post anything about my driving them on the track at NCM...

First video is our "Autocross" course. In this video, you hear Andy Pilgrim, yeah the guy that drove with the Earnhardt's in the 24hours of Daytona and later won the D24, was complimenting me.

https://youtu.be/I_zZdBFgymA

This was way more special than I could have imagined.

Here is one of our track videos...

https://youtu.be/uhBwgru0Y4Q

Even on the all seasons, and the run follow setup, we were MOVING at places. The c7 vette is a track employee and one of the guys who competes at TTNats with Nate and I. The other car is none other than the owner and founder of Brian Tooley Racing.

dodint
May 5th, 2022, 06:50 AM
Busby?

Godson
May 6th, 2022, 08:28 AM
No, Matt was running the program, this was Brian Sowders. Had a blast with him. It would have been really fun if it was just him and I!

Kchrpm
September 8th, 2022, 06:08 PM
https://carbuzz.com/news/2023-chevy-corvette-z06-is-unsurprisingly-very-thirsty

Normal Z06 = 12/21/15 mpg city/highway/combined
Z06 w/Z07 Package (aggressive aero, track tires) = 12/19/14 mpg

Also, since it seems we don't have a video of the Z06 yet in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3NTAImpNBQ

Rare White Ape
September 8th, 2022, 10:27 PM
When are you putting your deposit down?

Kchrpm
September 9th, 2022, 03:11 AM
Honestly, I have near zero interest in it personally. I think the changes to the front end make it look worse, and that fuel mileage is ridiculous. I'm sure it will be great on a track and make owners feel very special, but I'm more interested in day to day and long distance highway driving.

I am looking forward to seeing what the hybrid and then electric C8 will be like, but I'm more likely to put money down on a new house than a new Vette.

Rare White Ape
September 9th, 2022, 04:30 AM
Well that is an acceptable answer. Another acceptable answer would have been 'next week' :p

Phil_SS
September 9th, 2022, 06:09 AM
Wow. The Z06 looks amazing. Not a huge fan of silver but the silver with red interior looks great.

Kinda interesting how the track shots (Except the Ring) were done at PittRace and then had shots in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.

MR2 Fan
September 10th, 2022, 12:33 AM
The Z06 specs are amazing but I think I'd be fine with the regular one....now only if they had a manual transmission option

Godson
September 11th, 2022, 08:49 PM
This car doesn't need a manual to be great.

The z51 was a blast on track

dodint
September 12th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Traitor.

Godson
September 12th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Blame Natasha...

Phil_SS
September 13th, 2022, 06:24 AM
Blame it on Memphis.

Rare White Ape
November 29th, 2022, 02:12 PM
!!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42096801/corvette-brand-2025/?utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&src=socialflowFBCAD&fbclid=IwAR0lmiPJA7RrG7hdEXsQrWjgAmomh8ObmtoCQmK8q Sf_yqDKGK6bWjDSorQ

JoeW
November 29th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Stupid.

George
November 29th, 2022, 05:30 PM
^ what Joe said.

Godson
November 29th, 2022, 05:33 PM
I wonder what this will do at car shows....

Phil_SS
December 1st, 2022, 05:36 AM
So basically, they are copying Ford.

MR2 Fan
December 1st, 2022, 05:48 AM
^ what Joe said.

What George said.

Kchrpm
December 1st, 2022, 06:22 AM
So basically, they are copying Ford.

I've been reading articles from industry and finance "experts" about how Chevy should do this for years. Porsche and all of the supercar and ultra-luxury brands are making huge money with their SUVs, because people just want an exclusive brand name to go with their big flashy sloppy handling land barge. And they want to go to a special dealership without any poors.

My guess is that, since the Corvette brand is apparently focused on hybrid and electric vehicles, that we will see Corvette+Cadillac dealers, rather than Chevrolet+Corvette or standalone Corvette dealers.

Crazed_Insanity
December 1st, 2022, 07:13 AM
If rich people can have no problems buying Corvettes in regular dealerships with the poor mass, I'm sure rich people will continue to buy expensive and good cars from Chevy dealers! :p

I suppose the Ford strategy could work well too.

Still, I wish automakers can just focus on making great cars 1st rather play with branding. Your brand name is built and established by the cars you make. If you make great cars, customers will come regardless of where it's sold.

Personally, I shall wait and see with they come up with 1st. Hopefully the new line up won't drag down the Corvette name. :p

Godson
December 1st, 2022, 05:57 PM
Poor handling barges.

You should drive my cayenne in sport mode...

Kchrpm
December 1st, 2022, 06:35 PM
Compare it to the cars that earned Porsche its reputation in the sports car world, though. And how many Cayenne owners are putting it into sport mode? Just like people don't really buy a Range Rover for whatever off-road capability it has, the majority of Cayenne buyers aren't basing their decision on their need for whatever tight, responsive handling it has over other luxury brands. They're buying it because they think Porsche/Range Rover is a more impressive brand for them to be seen in than Lexus or BMW.

Godson
December 1st, 2022, 06:53 PM
You are still missing my point.

Calling an SUV like a Cayenne, Macan, Stelvio Quad, or a number of others I'll handling is just flat out wrong.

This isn't my opinion, these are from journalist like Jason Cammisa that are known to not pull punches.

Kchrpm
December 1st, 2022, 07:41 PM
Ok, remove the handling comment from my statement then: Porsche and all of the supercar and ultra-luxury brands are making huge money with their SUVs, because people just want an exclusive brand name. And they want to go to a special dealership without any poors.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 02:49 AM
Then GM should go ahead and make an electric division.

Having a brand called Corvette is pretty ridiculous.

They should instead develop whatever new vehicle platforms they want to showcase their electric GM uberness with special monikers like SRT, Z06, Cobra or some other nifty way to say to customers that hey these cars are special AND electric. Or just go nuts and make an entirely new electric division name.

Just go full on Tesla or something like that.

But having a eCorvette SUV, eCorvette sedan and eCorvette Corvette is dumb and limits their future ability to go beyond the Corvette name. Let’s face it…the Corvette name isn’t going to entice anyone anyone away from their euro cars. To break the Corvette/Chevy/GM name stigma they’ll need to start fresh from the ground up.

I know you are a Vette fan but they will start out with only Vette fans if they call them all Corvettes. If you want to sell cars to everyone wanting performance E vehicles then break away from all the negatives associated with the Corvette and Chevy names….real or fictional.

Rare White Ape
December 2nd, 2022, 05:35 AM
Go off and tell the people behind Lexus and Acura and Infinity and Genesis and explain to them how this is stupid.

dodint
December 2nd, 2022, 05:38 AM
Those are tarted-up versions of basic proletariat cars so they're probably already pretty familiar with it.

Crazed_Insanity
December 2nd, 2022, 06:47 AM
Go off and tell the people behind Lexus and Acura and Infinity and Genesis and explain to them how this is stupid.

The same kind of stupid would be comparable to rather than calling Lexus, Toyota decided to call this new premium brand Supra!

But anyways, Mustang has worked out for Ford though. Maybe it is marketing genius?

Rare White Ape
December 2nd, 2022, 06:54 AM
Those are tarted-up versions of basic proletariat cars so they're probably already pretty familiar with it.

Good way to describe a Corvette, really.

But they could have chosen the nameplate ‘Volt’ but didn’t.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 07:14 AM
Because they want to call all of the new electric cars Corvettes.

Making a new division is a great idea I said…just don’t call it Corvette. An electric Corvette SUV, sedan and erm a Corvette…this just makes no sense.

Come up with a new cool name for an all electric division and go for it.

dodint
December 2nd, 2022, 07:24 AM
Or, hear me out, just make your current fleet with electric options. We're past the point where EV needs to be the future with its quirky design and branding. Oh, wait, they're already doing that with the Silverado, Blazer, and Equinox EV.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 07:40 AM
Yup…doing it just like everyone else :)

Not a bad idea!

I think that they think the Corvette name carries some sort of reverence. When in fact it comes with the same stigma that Chevy comes with. Real or not…calling the entire line of EV cars Corvettes will instantly eliminate half your potential buyers.

Crazed_Insanity
December 2nd, 2022, 09:06 AM
Anyway, GM is probably the master of name plays. When things don't work out, they'll just drop it like Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile... names dropped in America can still be working out great else where such as China... So I suspect somehow they figured these names can make some sort of difference based on market research/sales #s and make changes accordingly?

Just as nowadays we have less and less original movies and with bunch of sequels... We could blame movie makers for their lack of originality, yes, but the other part of the equation is that somehow the market now yearns for more sequels or something familiar? Businesses are only catering to what the stupid public wants! :p

I'd tend to agree this is a stupid move by GM, but looking at Ford's success with Mustang, this kind of stupid move just might work for them.

George
December 2nd, 2022, 09:25 AM
I don't have a horse in this race. I really dig classic GM cars but wouldn't buy a newer one.

But, since opinions are free, I say GM should have invented a new name for this line up, as they did with Saturn.

Make it seem like something new and special. Invite customers to dealerships to have picnics and parties and post happy pictures to social media. Make a bunch of ads making it look like New GM Brand owners are a special family you can join and be a part of for the low, low price of $X down plus $Y per month. Sponsor public events to get the new name out there. Be really secretive about what the new cars look like and drive them to dealerships in enclosed trailers and have a giant unveiling, nationwide, all at the same time. Give away leather jackets or trucker caps or big belt buckles with the flashy New GM Brand logos with every car sold. Make it a Big New Thing.

Changing what a Corvette is doesn't seem like the right move to me.

Kchrpm
December 2nd, 2022, 09:54 AM
Yup…doing it just like everyone else :)

Not a bad idea!

I think that they think the Corvette name carries some sort of reverence. When in fact it comes with the same stigma that Chevy comes with. Real or not…calling the entire line of EV cars Corvettes will instantly eliminate half your potential buyers.

I have always been confused by this. The same experts that say that the strongest part of the Corvette is the brand recognition and they should spin it off would also say that, compared to Porsche, Corvettes are not that special, everyone has an uncle or boss with one. It felt like the mid-engine thing, where they just kept saying it every year so they could say "see, I was right" if it ever happened.

Crazed_Insanity
December 2nd, 2022, 10:49 AM
I don't have a horse in this race. I really dig classic GM cars but wouldn't buy a newer one.

But, since opinions are free, I say GM should have invented a new name for this line up, as they did with Saturn.

Make it seem like something new and special. Invite customers to dealerships to have picnics and parties and post happy pictures to social media. Make a bunch of ads making it look like New GM Brand owners are a special family you can join and be a part of for the low, low price of $X down plus $Y per month. Sponsor public events to get the new name out there. Be really secretive about what the new cars look like and drive them to dealerships in enclosed trailers and have a giant unveiling, nationwide, all at the same time. Give away leather jackets or trucker caps or big belt buckles with the flashy New GM Brand logos with every car sold. Make it a Big New Thing.

Changing what a Corvette is doesn't seem like the right move to me.

Yeah, Saturn was something that made sense. GM specifically did that to separate 'Saturn' from the traditional GM. Completely different cars and even completely different kind of dealerships! I was really impressed with that effort.

However, reality is that it still failed ultimately.

There's no guarantee building on the Corvette name will work better, but looking at Mustang's success... maybe this will work? ;)

Everyone has their 2 cents, but ultimate it'll be decided by how consumers spend their dollars!

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 12:03 PM
I have always been confused by this. The same experts that say that the strongest part of the Corvette is the brand recognition and they should spin it off would also say that, compared to Porsche, Corvettes are not that special, everyone has an uncle or boss with one. It felt like the mid-engine thing, where they just kept saying it every year so they could say "see, I was right" if it ever happened.

Yeah it sucks but if they want to start fresh in EV they should probably start with a new name. Calling it Corvette would likely alienate all your Dodge and Ford people instantly. And definitely eliminate any euro snobs from even considering it. But your GM people would be all in.

Kchrpm
December 2nd, 2022, 12:29 PM
I honestly thought they were just going to roll with Cadillac being the premium/luxury EV brand and a new brand wasn't necessary at all. Make the high performance ones the Blackwings, done.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 12:34 PM
Yeah I like that. The Blackwing is a cool name as well. They are already saying they are going to be premium EVs so the Cadillac name won’t shy them away.

MR2 Fan
January 17th, 2023, 10:13 PM
E-Ray preview....WANT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJf194ci4lA

Kchrpm
January 19th, 2023, 02:10 PM
I saw a video where they pointed out it takes about 5 seconds to switch from all electric "Stealth" mode to the normal hybrid driving mode. That seems quite strange to me, but I guess not that much different from starting a car normally.

retsmah
January 23rd, 2023, 06:02 PM
I had watched MKBHD's video, went back to look at that and he says "maybe 5 seconds" but in the video he's doing a voiceover on it seems like it's maybe 2 to 2.5 seconds to go from the start of the transition to the screen saying "transition complete", and then another couple seconds after that for the dash to then do whatever switch it needed to do. His video doesn't have any audio though at that point so you can't really hear when the engine turns on, I'd expect it when the screen says transition complete but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, sort of splitting hairs, but 2 seconds seems ok, 5 seconds seems like a long time!

The old videos of the the Toyota TS030 firing up it's gas engine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzXrDL4F3k) I think are my gold standard of electric to gas operation!

Rare White Ape
January 23rd, 2023, 11:47 PM
The old videos of the the Toyota TS030 firing up it's gas engine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzXrDL4F3k) I think are my gold standard of electric to gas operation!

There are more videos available now. Similar thing but newer.

According to the below video (thanks Keef!) the IMSA GTP hybrids were limited to only 3 seconds of full electric power when exiting their pit stalls, but that was changed to remove the limit in case a car baulked for some reason and need to re-launch. Now they're allowed to use full electric along the whole of pit lane (entry and exit) if they want, but the most likely scenario is just using it on launch from the pit box until they get to the speed limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW86BPKRL2A&ab_channel=TheRACERChannel

(Funny part early in the video when Marshall Pruett mentions 'silent' launches from pit lane, meanwhile the car in the background is going REEEEEEEEEEEEEE! on its electric motor :lol: )

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2023, 07:44 AM
Why is my dick so hard? I could cut diamonds with this thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43555939/chevrolet-c8-corvette-zr-1-zora-hybrid-future-specs/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&src=socialflowFBCAD&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2n0Q2jnjlPLX0V9kLqQ1FP-aDwrqQbV51wNlHrnsau1WM-lcYf8x8jSMU

Keith, please tell me why I’ve been cursed with this little pointy object that could give a thumbtack a run for its money.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/cdb050123-25cars-101-64346c319c272.jpg

Kchrpm
April 12th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Because it just looks like a GTE/GT3 car for the road, with double the horsepower.

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2023, 04:35 PM
I’ve complained about the looks of the C8 before, and even saw one this week where my opinion was reinforced.

But sticking a huge wing on the back completely transforms it and takes my eye away from how awkwardly the mid section of the car is styled. Losing the black highlight around the air intake helps, as does the deep front and side aero.

If the production ZR-1 looks anything like the render I’ll be happy.

CudaMan
April 13th, 2023, 09:19 AM
The black outline of the side scoops did always seem awkward to me, too. I think the eRay is the best-looking C8 treatment so far, mainly for this reason.

Hope to drive a hot C8 someday. As good as the base car is I have high expectations.

Crazed_Insanity
April 13th, 2023, 10:50 AM
I’m think the black highlights were simply attempts to make the inlets look bigger? Therefore a more aggressive look?

The eray OTOH is just a more elegant/simpler design.

Anyway, either way, new Vette looks good to me! Would definitely get one if I were as rich as Kchrpm.

dodint
April 13th, 2023, 12:05 PM
It's still just an anonymous Grand Theft Auto unlicensed supercar to me, but now with a wing.

MR2 Fan
April 13th, 2023, 04:16 PM
I still think it's Ferrari 458 and Lamborghini Aventador had a baby

Rare White Ape
April 13th, 2023, 04:42 PM
I think Nate’s right. They had a helluva styling language going on starting with the C5 and up to the C7, but threw it in the bin in favour of *generic sportscar* with the C8.

Tom Servo
April 13th, 2023, 05:52 PM
My take's always been that it's undeniably the best Corvette ever made, and it's also not a Corvette.

Kchrpm
April 14th, 2023, 01:46 AM
Speaking of not a Corvette, let's not talk about the Corvette SUV rumor please.

Crazed_Insanity
April 14th, 2023, 06:18 AM
:lol:

Yeah, at least it’s not an SUV like Mustang yet! :p

retsmah
April 14th, 2023, 03:32 PM
I like the C8 a lot, but could see the argument that it's something other than a Corvette.

However, could two wrongs make a right here? What if the Corvette SUV was also mid engined?

Kchrpm
April 14th, 2023, 04:15 PM
It's rumored to be on the Alpha platform which is currently used by the Camaro, CT4 and CT5.

Rare White Ape
April 14th, 2023, 08:18 PM
However, could two wrongs make a right here? What if the Corvette SUV was also mid engined?

ONLY if they started with a production Corvette, as Porsche did when they won Dakar in a 911.

dodint
April 15th, 2023, 06:01 PM
What's a Camaro? I don't see it in their current model lineup.

Godson
April 17th, 2023, 03:39 PM
What's a Camaro? I don't see it in their current model lineup.

Best and only acceptable response!