PDA

View Full Version : My 240sx

Rikadyn
July 28th, 2020, 05:43 PM
1992 Nissan 240sx SE

Bought it 2002 as my first car, it had been my favorite car since learning about them in gran turismo and like anyone of us when you start looking for your first car you dream.

Oddly enough I was dreaming about muscle cars at the time and wanting to get a late 60s Dodge Dart 340. In hindsight that would have been a terrible idea and yet I would still like to now. Parents were not up for it surprisingly. Didn't really think about the S13 until I was watching Initial D.

Eventually I was allowed to tap into my college fund for a car and found a nice 240sx on ebay and took a shot. Couple weeks later it was delivered (on le mans weekend). Drove it lightly while learning to drive, as 5 speed is great but not the best way to go from scratch. Couple of dents a couple of dings.

Failed my driving test. Didn't have a lot of time in the car I took to the test and probably should have focused on it more but yea. First thing I did was apologize to my 240sx. Looking back, it is clear that I already was suffering from pretty bad depression, I didn't drive or do anything with cars for years afterwards. Just felt like continuous failure.

Kept the 240sx in okay shape, moved it back and forth in the driveway once or twice a month to keep everything in order. Starter eventually goes out and don't have time or money to fix it so it sits and sits....

Sat for 15yrs. I am not proud of it. It's in good shape for what it's been through but it looks miserable for what I think it should be. I always planned to fix it, to bring it back to what it should be but never had the time or the money at the same time.

Last year my mom passed away from lung cancer. Because of my parents divorce, the money she was entitled to get from my father's pension was to be split between me and my brother. It took a year almost to the day for us to get the money. The same day the check arrived my dad sends me a text saying that the cops stopped by and I had ten days to move my car.

I ended up moving in with my stepdad when my mom passed. I thought that in some way it would facilitate helping getting my 240sx back on the road. Garage was used as a race shop in the 50s and 60s, even has a couple 327s chilling in the old machine shop. What I really didn't expect is that my stepdad would become such a prick. Originally he was fine with it and now he says that I only have until October 23rd to get it to the point that it can drive on the road.

Was dropped off yesterday. Two galleries are of the progress and condition from the last week.

http://imgur.com/a/YyLta5D

http://imgur.com/a/E7xXiSv

Cleaned it out, put it in 3rd and pushed it back and forth and fan and belts moved so I believe the engine is not seized. Gas tank was drained shortly after the starter died, and starter was replaced a previous time when I thought I was going to be able to get it running again.

I'm not optimistic about getting it running by Oct 22nd, not at all as something like the starter being frozen will sink me( had help putting the new one on, as I couldn't jack the car up high enough to work on).

Cam
July 29th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Good luck.

FaultyMario
July 29th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Hey! Nice project.

If I was in the vecinity I'd be helping you... vacuum the car or popping the beers open, bc I'm not much of a mechanic. Hopefully you can get it moving in the next few months.

Rikadyn
July 30th, 2020, 06:44 AM
Mon: fuel tank reinstalled, had to replace the hoses from the hardlines to the tank. One of them was seemingly held on by a conduit bracket.

Today changing the engine oil, plugs, and wires. Cleaning out the maf and intake system. Cleaning the battery terminals.

Not so much worried about the car mechanically at this point (though I expect to be let down there), I'm just worried about the electrical system just because you know.... It runs on magic smoke...

CudaMan
July 30th, 2020, 10:21 AM
Good luck! I don't really have much to offer as I've never revived a car that sat for years. It seems like a good idea to make sure the fuel system is clean and free of rust, change all fluids, and inspect anything rubber or electrical. Actually I know what my first step would be - deep cleaning so I can see exactly what I'm dealing with and get less dirty fixing it up.

Rikadyn
July 30th, 2020, 11:19 AM
I came out of the back end of the car like I had cleaned out a crematorium. Otherwise it's not terribly dirty after the pressure spray off and clearing out the interior. I'm still shocked by the lack of rust I am finding

Hardlines seemed in good condition, soft lines were clogged, tank was clean and dry on the inside when I drained it and replaced the seal. Plan on changing the fuel filter a couple of times when if it gets running just to be safe. Same for oil/oil filter

Changed that today, old oil was an amberish color and clear, no where close to the dark dark.

Rubber hoses look okay, plan on changing the radiator and hoses at some point but might put it further down the priority list for the time being. Same with the belts. Tested the coolant and it's still full cooling ability.

CudaMan
July 30th, 2020, 03:59 PM
Any 15 year old rubber will probably not be long for this world if it's not a problem already. Belts and hoses should probably be on your short list to at least have handy when you start the car, if nothing else. I've had radiator hoses look fine and leak anyway, from time to time.

I forget if those are interference engines, if they are you'll want to replace the timing belt before you attempt to start the car.

Rikadyn
July 30th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Chain instead of belt, and Nissan doesn't consider it a wear part, but I should be able to know if it's an issue before it goes. Ordered full belts and hoses plus the radiator (oem has plastic end tanks) just to be safe.

Rare White Ape
July 31st, 2020, 03:05 AM
Heck yeah! Looks like you don't have a lot to do apart from cleaning and replacing consumables/rubber bits.

Have you had a chance to take any progress pics?

Rikadyn
July 31st, 2020, 05:47 AM
Heck yeah! Looks like you don't have a lot to do apart from cleaning and replacing consumables/rubber bits.

Have you had a chance to take any progress pics?

http://imgur.com/a/YyLta5D

http://imgur.com/a/E7xXiSv

That's the last two weeks or so of work otherwise nothing really photographic being done

samoht
July 31st, 2020, 04:00 PM
Good luck! Sounds like things have been tough. I wouldn't feel too bad about neglecting the car though - you've probably doubled your money by doing nothing, S13s are worth a bit now I think ;-)

Do you have a plan for the rear window?

Anyway at least you've still got the car, I wish I'd kept the Silvia I had in Japan
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ExT2b_1r3DIskHvMy-tUgO6x6-AIYGax4pfnobZkUb6L8AcFIXSO4fWg4_-NO8wLafdZqnQJjDGlF-Sg2kmyj3cw_-GMMpOXzIn2uV--HSmK51bYui2XaqTx-acNLM6x-ja_iHPs3OP-pPznVgclhOEY7vHutY2TPZIv3fq8FG3TK90lmkJLMW6foz_Hir VrNzpm5HAHX43ZfJrklpjNz8X_j1gRhIV4SF71F6O_FLG5tBhE 9nSMAVzQZOlHwiR5bkkaroOjtQ8H0AdPmGdX-KOFHTkfsVdRLxmdByS5cGZL9QhGw3Xi5A8IC7QhxbHXyJrog4T 7N2jszTqIYF2bPzk1H7w94PEXRLU80H8-8ICiQpgVs_rfIhcgATKsmsY5KRx8GasVXgvVFjWRHXnuOHAQGQ boitPUYZI53_QLSm_0sbXPrSFh_dcF3-B21N5FfdVwIAEulALfkwZC5PmN_djzLXfwJRWJidWsYO9SGeco rP9foT8bifs-HQPJgdPwkKhzFNxLqLVOI-Npfj0JsRQEkc6DKfTD97Jnv8tJrnXhdowpOWLpAJwgSw2LJ5Y3 GVwqcu7YLoTThxBvJl-x22ccjHpYB2j-BZG6ZxCoFa0J4xPcRH7AXIdXGBDu9qdBM1gJHNkA0-CfDwAwheT-55cqcpGfeDbJfyHcYznfHNsc_-Pw-V2EK-zek_R1_A=w1288-h966-no?authuser=0

Good luck, it's going to be a very cool car once it's up and running :)

Rikadyn
August 2nd, 2020, 08:19 AM
Got battery, connected nothing caught fire or smoked so that's good.

Bad is that not getting anything at the starter, found out we didn't reconnect it, reconnected it, still nothing. Need to get a multimeter, but figuring my work order is

Check ground for starter
Bypass clutch interlock
Drop starter bench test /replace
Check ign switch. Though it does look like it is working at the switch

Clutch pedal drops to the floor, but not really surprised...

Godson
August 2nd, 2020, 06:01 PM
Follow this order.

Is the ignition powering up the dash lights?
Do gauge lights turn off when you turn key to start?
Do you hear any starter solenoid activation, like a click or anything?

Rikadyn
August 3rd, 2020, 08:11 AM
I have had enough starter problems to know the basics. Had to bypass the clutch interlock relay and when I heard it crank I knocked my head against the roof and let go of the key.

Ordered the part, as I don't think the paper clip jumping the relay is a long term solution

Rikadyn
August 4th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Waiting for the relay, decided to investigate the clutch pedal problem, seeing if it might just need to be bled. Well master cylinder is empty, so yea it's going to need to bleed...

Well that bleeder is frozen I bet. Ordered new master and slave. Will have to see if it needs more

Rikadyn
August 5th, 2020, 09:38 AM
https://youtu.be/NqrAmijMzrw

CudaMan
August 5th, 2020, 10:31 AM
You're making great progress! October 23 should be no problem. :)

Rikadyn
August 6th, 2020, 11:00 AM
You're making great progress! October 23 should be no problem. :)

We'll see, hopefully the clutch/transmission is okay for now, won't really know until I replace the master and slave. Good news is I will bypass and remove the clutch damper box which I never knew existed and seems completely useless even when new.

Bolted the relay back in place and primed the oil pump(as far as I can tell) . Going to get a 2 gallon gas can and well put gas in it tomorrow to hopefully prime the fuel system and hopefully running by Sunday.

After that, and clutch hydraulics it will be moving onto brakes I suppose, then new tires, new front and rear glass and I have a complete car at least if a little run down.

Then bushings, coilovers, exhaust >.>

samoht
August 9th, 2020, 03:19 AM
Nice one getting her turning over at least.

After I returned from Japan I got a 180SX, SR20DET redtop. In the process of re-jigging stuff for an FMIC, the tuner bodged the battery wiring (the guy was good on mechanicals, not so strong with electrical stuff). We set off to drive to Florence (from London), went to drive off the Chunnel train and it wouldn't start. Ended up push-starting the car a number of times. The worst was in Reims, we'd stopped in an underground car park. I just remember pushing the car round and round underground, trying to get up enough speed to get it to start - eventually we just managed it. My wife was not impressed, especially as she had to help push so I could jump in the drivers seat. Eventually in Grenoble the franchised Nissan dealer worked out the problem and re-wired the battery properly, and we could continue with our trip, although a bit delayed.

So at least you have a working starter !

Rikadyn
August 9th, 2020, 06:11 PM
Yep but I might not be getting fuel.

Pump primes or sounds like it does, I'll try to get a recording of it tomorrow. Not sure if I have enough fuel in it as only put 2g in. Also distributor cap looked like it was popped off a bit so going to have to look at that as well.

Things to do :

Check voltage at pump
> if good get pressure gauge and check that
>>if bad replace pump
>>if good check injectors

Check for spark

Rikadyn
August 10th, 2020, 09:39 AM
https://youtu.be/bvxDZP5UkSg

Crazed_Insanity
August 10th, 2020, 09:54 AM
Looking good and the engine is sounding good! :up:

Just here to cheer you on... since I'll probably be no help at all.

All I have done with my cars so far are replacing light bulbs and wiper blades and filters and oil and brake pads... and I think that's it! I figured my rate is too expensive and I just don't have the time nor the garage space to do much of anything else... :p

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you getting your baby back on the road before the deadline!

Cam
August 10th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Yeeeeah! Nice. :cool:

Godson
August 10th, 2020, 06:02 PM
So, the rough idle that has smoothed out, caused by oil pressure building up into the lifters and them pumping up, followed by the over fueling burning off, along with injectors spraying adequate fuel!

Great stuff!

Keep grinding bud.

Rare White Ape
August 10th, 2020, 11:05 PM
It's aliiiive!

Excellent.

Leon
August 10th, 2020, 11:16 PM
Woooooo!!!

samoht
August 11th, 2020, 12:35 AM
Great to see it rise again. Keep us posted on progress, I think these cars are fun, cool and very useable daily drivers.

Rikadyn
August 11th, 2020, 03:46 AM
very useable daily drivers.

Maybe in summer, atm as little rust as it has I am not making it see snow and salt.

Rikadyn
August 11th, 2020, 04:42 AM
So, the rough idle that has smoothed out, caused by oil pressure building up into the lifters and them pumping up, followed by the over fueling burning off, along with injectors spraying adequate fuel!

Great stuff!

Keep grinding bud.

Yea was hoping it would level out once it got going, plus I dropped it off the brick I had under the front tire (waiting for the line to be delivered before diving back into the clutch.)

Ordered new Rotors, calipers, pads, and upgrade steel braid lines

Rikadyn
August 15th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Clutch bled? Well slave moves fork but I don't exactly know what it is supposed to feel like, and yea had hell of a time with vacuum pump bleeding.

Got the new lines attached to the calipers, probably taking tomorrow off for just the fuck of it

dodint
August 17th, 2020, 05:53 AM
That's great, nice work!

Yeti
August 17th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Oh wow, I heard about this car so many times back in the #ezgt days, but I think this is the first time I’ve actually seen it!

Rikadyn
August 18th, 2020, 05:46 AM
Digital cameras were not ubiquitous as they are today.

Getting tires put on the rear wheels today, replaced the calipers on the rear yesterday but my can of brake clean was dead so cleaning up then putting the tires on with the wheels today. Also was going to replace the soft lines on the rear with braids that I have but not confident enough in being able to back off the flair

Rikadyn
August 18th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Oh I also moved her under her own power only about a foot or so but yea

samoht
August 19th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Oh I also moved her under her own power only about a foot or so but yea

Yay! Great progress, really glad to see her coming back towards being driveable again.

Rikadyn
August 20th, 2020, 06:54 AM
Front brakes done with the new lines. Seemingly instead of mice or rodents my car became the home of earwigs, spiders and ants. Oh and centipedes.

Getting the front set of tires installed tomorrow (Falken Pro G5 a/s) as they were booked today

Phil_SS
August 21st, 2020, 04:14 AM
Your momentum is awesome! Keep it up!

Rikadyn
August 22nd, 2020, 07:14 AM

Ah the joys of not driving stick since I last drove this very same car. Left tire marks straight into stalling it 10ft out of the garage. Ran it up the road, missed third and found fifth, but holy shit I forgot how quick it is

samoht
August 22nd, 2020, 12:06 PM
Great! Sounds like she's running ok then, nice work :)
Hopefully you can share some photos once the resurrection is complete.

FaultyMario
August 22nd, 2020, 05:57 PM
Cool!

Rare White Ape
August 22nd, 2020, 11:55 PM
#blacklinesmatter

Rikadyn
August 24th, 2020, 09:13 AM
https://youtu.be/Jck5HncaT4k

This is exactly how it sounded when I bought it

Phil_SS
August 26th, 2020, 11:52 AM
Well, it does have a truck engine. :assclown:

Rikadyn
August 27th, 2020, 01:04 PM
So far put 5miles on it. Most of the stuff I need to do is really more QoL stuff than mechanical really.

Automatic shoulder belt is dead, potentially a warranty fix (yes it is still under warranty)

More I think about it, the more I think I should replace at least the carpet. I have some plans for the area where the rear seats were just different kind of work.

Brakes still need to be burned in but I also have to get better at driving a manual.

Replaced the old oe fog lights with led lights from Amazon.

Headlights don't go up or down, need to order a new fuse for them and check the motor grounds and the motors. But in the mean time working sleepy eyes.

Replaced two sockets in the driver side taillight and probably did the worse soldering job ever.

Have a valve cover gasket coming, going to try and do something about the timing chain rattle, supposedly the tensioner just needs to be moved to work out the old oil. Going to paint the valve cover while it's off.

Passenger window doesn't work, don't have a passenger seat so not a priority.

Turn on the climate controls and its an interesting noise sounds like it is full of leaves (at best) so have to find out how to get all of it out and cleaned)

Scheduled to have the windscreen and rear window fixed. So far the most expensive part. Hopefully they get the parts in

Yeti
August 27th, 2020, 03:06 PM
I was going to say, wasn't timing chain noise a common KA issue?

When you get new carpets you'll need to get some Japanese-style checkered mats to keep it nice!

Rikadyn
August 27th, 2020, 03:51 PM
I was going to say, wasn't timing chain noise a common KA issue?

When you get new carpets you'll need to get some Japanese-style checkered mats to keep it nice!

It is, it's also fairly harmless so not a necessity but it's also a easy job to attempt.

Rikadyn
September 3rd, 2020, 05:28 AM
Well it's seems this whole fucking thing has been a waste of my fucking time. I can't find anyone who can replace the windshield and rear window. So I am fucked and going to lose the damn car because of it

dodint
September 3rd, 2020, 07:43 AM
What? How? Not Safelite or anything near you?

CudaMan
September 3rd, 2020, 07:33 PM
If no glass is available, what about junkyards or part-out cars? Surely someone nearby is turning one into a drift car and replacing everything with lexan...

dodint
September 3rd, 2020, 08:36 PM
SafeLite had Delorean glass. Would be shocked if they didn't have 240SX glass.

samoht
September 4th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Hit up the owners' forums, likely someone will have or know of a source for glass, some car that's too rusty to save somewhere.

Rikadyn
September 4th, 2020, 03:15 PM
What? How? Not Safelite or anything near you?

Safelite was the ones to cancel on me, took me like 6 other places before I found one (located a mile from my house...) that could get everything but the rear window mouldings

samoht
September 4th, 2020, 04:11 PM
It's just the rear window moulding you're still missing? This one? https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/79752-35f10

"If we have to, overnight parts from Japan"

Rikadyn
September 5th, 2020, 04:51 AM
Part of it, but I already ordered that one from a US shop. The rest should be salvageable from the current window

samoht
September 5th, 2020, 06:41 AM
Great stuff :up:

Rikadyn
September 9th, 2020, 07:15 AM
And it's on back order which if it won't get here in time I will just go universal, heard that it doesn't make much of a difference.

New fog lights. Cheap 30 dollar Amazon specials. Brighter than my head lights (even after changing bulbs). I like them and I don't think they are road legal but Idgaf. Need to aim them a bit.

Pulled off the rear parcel shelf board. Ordered a new aluminum one from LRB. Ordered replacement speakers as well. It continues to surprise me how little damage has come from being exposed to the elements for so long.

dodint
September 9th, 2020, 11:07 AM
Yah, those look bright.

Rikadyn
September 26th, 2020, 03:46 PM

So glass has been installed, ended up having to wait for a second rear glass to be shipped because the first one broke in transport. In the meantime I had taken off the rear wing and the insides of the trunk.

Paint on the wing was flaking off so I just removed it and coated it with black primer because I wanted to see what it would look like, and I kind of like it.

The trunk was just to clean it out and give it a protective coating as they are known to rust and gave me a chance to look over the inside of the car a bit and look for anything wrong.

FaultyMario
September 26th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Check for wear items,
Replace worn bits,
Take a roadtrip.

CudaMan
September 27th, 2020, 07:45 AM
The rust behind the rear window wasn't bad enough to need fixing while the glass was out?

Would the MCM guys call that a nugget? :)

Rikadyn
September 27th, 2020, 02:54 PM
The rust behind the rear window wasn't bad enough to need fixing while the glass was out?

Would the MCM guys call that a nugget? :)

Probably, but honestly it's better than taytay was.

There really wasn't any rust, in fact took the installer forever to get through all the sealant on. Also some of the orange tint isn't rust but staining from having leaves on it.

Yeti
October 2nd, 2020, 12:10 PM
looks like it's shaping up!

Rikadyn
October 3rd, 2020, 02:55 PM

Now with more racecar™ or at least the panels to make the rear seat area look better

Rikadyn
March 30th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Started the week with pulling the cover off and removed the panels from the previous post to upholster them and clean the interior.

Started her like 30mins ago, fired instantly and once oil pressure built up ran smoothly

dodint
March 30th, 2021, 12:58 PM
That's awesome. You're ahead of me, mine will start but it doesn't have any oil pressure. :lol:

Cam
March 30th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Great news!

Rikadyn
April 5th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Any recommendations on a tap and die set...

dodint
April 5th, 2021, 12:04 PM
I bought this one when I was having troubles with the SRT-4: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M611X8T/

Rikadyn
April 5th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Managed to cross thread two bolts that hold seat in, so need to chase the threads...

Debating 16 dollar harbor freight kit or just going all in to a professional kit.

Probably the harbor freight unless I find myself needing it regularly.

Though if I need a tap and die set regularly, please just kill me.

Crazed_Insanity
April 5th, 2021, 03:19 PM
Tap carefully and don't die please! :p

Rikadyn
April 23rd, 2021, 10:05 AM
Helicoil the nut yay,but that was last week.

This week I finished installing the rear seat delete that I had sound dampened and upholstered week before last. Some cutting and a lot of cursing but it is good enough... 3711

George
April 23rd, 2021, 11:40 AM
:up:

Rikadyn
May 20th, 2021, 12:28 PM

I washed it.

Also insured and registered it finally, so it is mostly road ready, seatbelt is intermittent on if it wants to work.

Also feels sluggish in first

FaultyMario
May 20th, 2021, 01:10 PM
That deserves its own "how it started" meme!

Great job, H!

Crazed_Insanity
May 20th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Nice work! :up:

samoht
May 21st, 2021, 09:14 AM
Awesome! Really glad you've got it back on the road.

No idea what could be making it sluggish in first, hopefully not a major issue.

Crazed_Insanity
May 21st, 2021, 09:22 AM
It's practically a born again brand new car! So probably just need to break it in again? ;)

Rikadyn
May 26th, 2021, 04:48 PM
I'm growing to believe that my clutch is slipping in first gear. Meaning I need a new clutch, which will probably be about a grand

FaultyMario
May 26th, 2021, 08:16 PM
Twenty thousand pesos for clutch? ¡ay, ay, ay!

Crazed_Insanity
May 26th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Why is your clutch so expensive?

FaultyMario
May 26th, 2021, 09:44 PM
For the privilege of mating with a KA24.

Rikadyn
May 27th, 2021, 03:58 AM
Why is your clutch so expensive?

Labor, clutch itself is only 100

Crazed_Insanity
May 27th, 2021, 07:50 AM
I thought you're DIYing! Save yourself some labor cost! :p

Rikadyn
May 27th, 2021, 11:37 AM
Don't have access to a lift, too big to do it on the ground

TheBenior
May 27th, 2021, 01:13 PM
I replaced the clutch on my Miata on jackstands, and if I had to do it again, I'd just pay somebody to do it.

Yobbo NZ
May 27th, 2021, 02:00 PM
SR20 clutches on the ground aren't fun either.
Box is heavy and you have to rotate it 90 degrees to get it in and out due to having no height to play with on the ground, unlike on a hoist.

Crazed_Insanity
May 27th, 2021, 09:14 PM
At 150k miles, my s2000 clutch should be nearing the end of its life… wonder if I could change that myself… need to do some research since I have never done it before… :p

Godson
May 28th, 2021, 09:13 AM
At 150k miles, my s2000 clutch should be nearing the end of its life… wonder if I could change that myself… need to do some research since I have never done it before… :p

It can be done in the driveway, but you need to drop the engine cradle down about 2 inches, and to do that, you need to disconnect the steering linkage. So the car should get an alignment after that.

Also, you can't reach the top bellhousing bolts without dropping the cradle.

Btdt.

Crazed_Insanity
May 29th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Hmm… just saw an YouTube video… will have to assess how much time I have then to decide whether if I really want to be there to do that! :p

Rikadyn
June 14th, 2021, 07:01 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zg7vHOV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T5y6BXV.jpg

George
June 14th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Wow! That looks incredible! You've gotta feel good about that kind of progress. Thanks for sharing it.

samoht
June 14th, 2021, 09:06 AM
How it started / How it's going (in reverse order).

Great! Looks very cool, kick-ass to have a slice of the nineties back on the road :)

Crazed_Insanity
June 14th, 2021, 09:46 AM
What the heck?!?! The yard looks better too! :D

dodint
June 14th, 2021, 10:13 AM
Yeah, that's awesome. Love to see it.

Rikadyn
June 14th, 2021, 12:03 PM
What the heck?!?! The yard looks better too! :D

Different house.

Taking it in to the dealership Wednesday to get the automatic Seatbelt fixed under warranty

CudaMan
June 14th, 2021, 06:11 PM
Awesome work! I approve!

Rikadyn
June 15th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Well had one of the more common problems that has no good fix since Nissan discontinued the parts, my sunroof seems to have sprung a leak and the seal are almost impossible to find on the powered sunroof.

So I have no great options open to me for replacing it

CudaMan
June 15th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Is it a bad leak? If it's small, maybe a little Shin Etsu grease will swell the seal enough to stop it for a while.

Yobbo NZ
June 16th, 2021, 01:35 AM
Would this be the correct part?
If there's anyway you can search your OEM part number, it may be the same.
https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/91346-40f10.

I did have the Nissan part lookup program years ago, but it's long gone otherwise I'd try and find it for you.

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 07:19 AM
Is it a bad leak? If it's small, maybe a little Shin Etsu grease will swell the seal enough to stop it for a while.

I had no clue what that was but now I must have it for every seal on this car.

Would this be the correct part?
If there's anyway you can search your OEM part number, it may be the same.
https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/91346-40f10.

I did have the Nissan part lookup program years ago, but it's long gone otherwise I'd try and find it for you.

Yea I have a factory manual, but not sure which seal it is yet.

Did find a place that makes cf inserts to delete it which push comes to shove isn't the worse thing. I could use the extra headroom.

Dealership just chucked it back on me saying that the parts are d/c. I didn't fight it because I can just swap it to s14 manual belts.

dodint
June 16th, 2021, 07:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D43BV_2WkAASiTx.jpg

(No, not really. But I'd try something like that before using a carbonfibre insert.)

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Finding the cf one was a lot better than the aluminum one that is riveted over the hole

dodint
June 16th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Oh, I misunderstood what was going on. I thought you were replacing a glass panel with CF because of a bad seal.

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Naw, it's in the "seals are not fixable" tree off options.

It could just be a clogged drain that needs to be blown out. Only notice it yesterday and haven't dug into it

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Well I now see the rubber flap ripping up so yea...

CudaMan
June 16th, 2021, 09:16 AM
Glue? :lol:

Hate that a lot of parts for cars are NLA once they're 20 years old. Is there no aftermarket solution? Some 240sx specialty store might have something like that. Or maybe somebody figured out a 3M seal size/shape that you can cut to fit and put on yourself. People do that on E46 M3s, the rubber trim that goes inside the Hoffmeister kink always crumbles and BMW makes you buy the entire window trim assembly for big money. Most people use a 3M seal and cut it to fit instead. Looks pretty close to factory when done right.

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Seemingly not. Nothing on nico or zilvia that shows up on searching says anything other than replace it with the part from the dealer. I might get some duct seal and limp it while trying to get better answers.

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Also should note coupes and hb have different sunroofs and the hb is like 3:1 against the coupe so coupe info is not common

Rikadyn
June 16th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Looking into the factory service manual, the reason it's hard for the coupe is that the weather seal is bonded to the glass. Also explains why "delete it" is the common advice in threads specifically with coupes

Have a b14 driver side belt coming to replace my broken automatic belt

Rikadyn
June 18th, 2021, 11:16 AM
So it rained last night. Like small lake in the driveway rain.

The slider that covers the sunroof was all the way back in its slot, the edges of the headliner were wet around the opening, damp not soaked, no water on the floor. I slid the shade forward and only the corners of it were wet.

So I went and bought an inspection camera and yea it could just be a blockage on the one side still.

Rikadyn
June 20th, 2021, 05:56 AM
Shredded my alternator belt driving to my dad's house, so priority shift :p

Also the automatic Seatbelt decided to work

Crazed_Insanity
June 21st, 2021, 03:32 PM
This car is keeping you busy! :D

Rikadyn
June 23rd, 2021, 05:34 PM
In total it took me 8ish hours and 2 days to do :/

Everything was fine, the alt belt went on easy but noticed a bolt missing on the alternator and took it off to try and put a bolt in. I ended up leaving the bolt out because it was never going on after trying for 4hrs, and still took my another couple of hours after that to get it back on.

My hamstrings are burning two days after it because I had to spent the whole time half squatting over the nose of the car.

Rikadyn
July 9th, 2021, 05:11 AM

No more automatic seatbelt on the drivers side. Biggest hurdle for this was waiting for it to both not be raining and not being an oven to work in it.

Desperately in need of seat covers

Crazed_Insanity
July 9th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Automatic seat belt! I hated those things…

Rikadyn
September 4th, 2021, 03:51 AM
Nearly got ran the fuck over by a blonde in a rav4. Sitting at a light waiting next to a semi, look in my rear view mirror to see this ass not even attempting to slow down from 60, dropped the clutch at 3k and launched as the light flipped, and flipped them off

Also passed 200mi driven in it. Not a lot but considering the state it was in last year.

dodint
September 4th, 2021, 04:44 AM
Yeah, that would have been a bad day.

Rikadyn
September 4th, 2021, 05:44 AM
First the crash, then the manslaughter charge...

Crazed_Insanity
September 4th, 2021, 10:25 PM
Glad the car is okay! We don’t want to return the car back to the same state it was last year! ;)

samoht
September 5th, 2021, 01:27 PM
I'm really glad you brought this car back and got it on the road, yeah 200 miles is a decent bedding-in. Well done anticipating and avoiding the shunt.

Rikadyn
November 20th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Gave her a waterlesus wash. Used product from chemical guys.

Going to need to learn to do body work by the spring it seems

38363835 3834

https://youtu.be/q6HZ0OHTdcc

CudaMan
November 20th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Is it running on all 4 cylinders? It doesn't sound terrible. Is the shaking just bad motor mount(s) then? I don't know much about the KAs in particular even though I've always liked 240SXs!

Rikadyn
November 21st, 2021, 12:05 AM
Thinking mount or possibly moisture in the fuel. It is running okay, originally thought it might have been oil but pulled fuel pump fuse and cranked it, but it still shook.

Hadn't driven it since early September, got a job right after Gridlife doing 10hr shifts, so until time change it was dark out.

Unfortunately won't be able to do anything until spring which makes me worried about the rust on the qp.

Rikadyn
December 4th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Covered it for the winter. Stabil'd and topped off the tank, ran it for a minute and the shaking levels out with revs.

Rikadyn
April 10th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Pulled the winter tarp off today, and she looked like she weathered well. Tarp kind of tended to balloon when the wind blew so I think that helped keep moisture at bay.

Next weekend will be getting it running. Still worried about the shaking, but I have new engine and trans Mounts on hand if that is indeed the problem. Hopefully it is or something simple.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2022, 09:22 AM
She looks fine. Hope it's just you worrying too much! ;)

Rikadyn
April 24th, 2022, 01:11 PM
So I got it fired up today.

Pulled the plugs first.

https://imgur.com/a/c7uAj0G

1-2-3 had oil residue, possibly just from the fact that when I got it I took the valve cover off to remove the chain guide that was the likely cause of the rattle, and my stepdad telling me to just use rtv instead of a gasket. Anyway I have one of those to put on already, number 4 was clean.

So running :

https://youtu.be/8UNRCBF_7LQ

Shaking continues until 2k then levels back to "normal". Pulled the plug wires and #4 didn't affect the running. Pulled the plug out of #4 and it was barely warm and it was dry dry. Started to rain before I could check any of the others

Rikadyn
May 7th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Finally got to ohm the injectors and #4 was indeed dead. Ordered a new one to replace it and be sure that it is indeed the only problem, but fingers crossed

Rikadyn
May 14th, 2022, 10:13 AM
https://youtu.be/tU8dnCywnRc

I'm beginning to hate cars.

Rikadyn
May 15th, 2022, 07:55 AM

And REALLY starting to hate squirrels.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cdC0sgv-5FE?feature=share

FaultyMario
May 15th, 2022, 03:41 PM
What is that?

dodint
May 15th, 2022, 04:42 PM
deez nutz

Godson
May 16th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Quite literally...

Rikadyn
May 16th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Walnuts to be exact.

In the week it took me to get the injector, red squirrel climbed in.

When I posted the 2nd to last video, the 240sx community basically said that I had rod knock and the engine was shot. The last video is revving to 5k and holding it around 4k for a second. Personally all I hear is the timing chain.

Pulled the plugs and replaced them afterwards, put my camera down each cylinder. 3 looked like it had build up on the piston head. Plugs themselves seem to show pretty much the same story but because it hasn't been driven since October and every time since then it's been started its either had the dead injector or the nuts in the tb I'm not sure how much I should read into the old plugs.

Kinda annoying because I want to drive it but discouraged at the idea of possibly hurting it.

samoht
May 16th, 2022, 02:02 PM
I think walnut blasting is only for direct injection engines, not sure they'll do your KA24 much good ;-)

Hope the engine is running properly soon.

Rikadyn
May 21st, 2022, 01:50 PM

Changed the oil+filter between rain storms. Dumped the oil from the filter into bucket (pictured) and put a neodymium magnet in it. Between the magnet coming back clean and not feeling anything but oil, I think that is good.

Warmed it up and revved it before taking it for a drive

https://youtube.com/shorts/NlBtBwb4C-4?feature=share

And then drove it up the road and back. Still has a little shaking but nothing like it did with the dead injector.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SXdZ-qOB9kc?feature=share

One thing that has had me scratching my head is the exhaust sound. To me it doesn't sound right but I don't remember it clearly enough to be sure I am not paranoid.

https://youtube.com/shorts/OvZDLzCWjRA?feature=share

Crazed_Insanity
May 22nd, 2022, 09:15 PM
Engine sounds nice. Exhaust does sound weird. Kinda like a lawn mower! :p

Anyway, not really sure how the 240sx supposed to sound like while idling though.

Rikadyn
July 8th, 2022, 02:50 PM
So been driving it a bit.

Engine seems okay. Have a weird whoosh sound, disappears when I get on the brakes, but doesn't sound like a warp or anything, also doesn't sound metallic in nature so bit confused by it.

Need to get some antifog on the inside of the windshield...

Rikadyn
July 11th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Exhaust returned to sounding like a lawnmower after being normal for a while. Research says either injector dying or exhaust leak so I ordered 3 more injector to replace the 3 that I had not replaced.

Rikadyn
July 22nd, 2022, 05:09 PM
All injectors changed.
Ordered set of used headlight motors and a Hella conversion housings to run h4 bulbs.
Drove it to work twice this week.
50mi from 200k

https://i.imgur.com/2nWbsGr.jpeg

FaultyMario
July 22nd, 2022, 05:53 PM
What the fuck happened to Nissan?

Rikadyn
July 24th, 2022, 04:50 AM
Market changed and they were going broke until they went cheap with Ghosn in charge.

Rikadyn
July 30th, 2022, 12:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/GTHHQrU.jpeg

speedpimp
July 30th, 2022, 03:32 PM
Keep up the good work.

Rikadyn
July 30th, 2022, 04:32 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/SNSwISBW0wo?feature=share

CudaMan
August 1st, 2022, 10:34 AM
Looking good!

Rikadyn
August 10th, 2022, 03:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CAErziJ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/aJRcZV8.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/jhiN27r.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/VuygPnS.jpeg

Rikadyn
August 14th, 2022, 07:18 AM
This car is a money pit.

Ordered a nrg 2.5 quick release from Throtl, says needs to ship from manufacturer, expected date is a week later, so whatever. Week later the ship date is November. Say fuck that and cancel it.

Z1 motorsports has one, send a message if they actually have it, get a reply in 20mins with a quote saying it's ready to ship right now just hit buy.

Ordered 3q redline mt90 and 2 bottles of diff fluid as well.

My windshield washer resevoir is busted, and my coolant overflow is near death. Luckily Gktech makes oem style coolant tanks so ordered that and grab a shift knob for fun.

Car seems to intermittently puff smoke pulling away from stop lights. Like it seems to be if I am stopped at an incline in either direction for a minute or so it'll smoke leaving (but not idling) and not all of the time just sometimes.

Oh and I am grooving the passenger side rear rotor, so had to order those too. Mind you I have driven it 552 miles this season.

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Money pit is looking good though! ;)

CudaMan
August 17th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Money pit is a pretty apt descriptor for almost any 30+ year old car, no? :)

I really like my NRG SFI-rated quick release. Super precise.

Z1 is good at what they do! I've been to a couple events where they've brought their turbo Time Attack Z car out, one day I hope to get a ride in that thing.

Rikadyn
August 17th, 2022, 04:50 PM
I had bought some small stuff from them before, only really went with Throtl because they had a 15% off deal and constantly being pushed by hoonigan, but I think I ended up paying the same through z1 and got replied to in like 5min on a Friday night lol

Rikadyn
August 21st, 2022, 04:59 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Chir2zDMKJs/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

IG made the post 900% more difficult than it needed to be

Rikadyn
August 30th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Engine still randomly smokes at stop lights. It's like once every 20 but yea...

Anyone want to help fundraise for a vh45de?

Crazed_Insanity
September 1st, 2022, 07:39 AM
How much are you talking here? Around $1000?

Rikadyn
September 1st, 2022, 02:04 PM
Out the door probably at least 7.5k haven't actually priced it out but I assume it'd be around the same as a budget LS swap.

Even Ka24de is pulling 2k for just a block

Crazed_Insanity
September 1st, 2022, 10:59 PM
Whoa! That’s like kinda very expensive… :p

Rikadyn
September 2nd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Not really. It's about average for a non-oe swap of a used motor. See how much one is from a dealer not under warranty.

Rikadyn
September 5th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Yay Coolant leak... On the fuckin heater hose... On a car that isn't driven in winter...

Rikadyn
February 13th, 2023, 03:02 PM
May end up needing to sell it...

Cam
February 14th, 2023, 04:13 AM
Bummer. On the plus side, your car is desirable.

Crazed_Insanity
February 14th, 2023, 07:00 AM
Oh man, that's disappointing... just got tired of fixing it up? Or it's just too deep of a money pit?

I'm sure we're all hoping to see it restored to its former glory..., hope that's still possible one way or another...

Yeti
February 14th, 2023, 07:33 AM
I DONT APPROVE

Phil_SS
February 15th, 2023, 04:47 AM
Sometimes it's best to move on and take the money and buy something else. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure!

Rikadyn
April 13th, 2023, 04:18 PM

I am physically fine. Emotionally I have never been worse. I really don't know why I need to live anymore...I mean I am not allowed anything...

FaultyMario
April 13th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Don't let it get you down.

I know the feeling, Holden, it's a fucking bad feeling, but you can also look at it as just a combination of circumstances.

A bad combination of the wrong circumstances, I'll give you that.

Crazed_Insanity
April 13th, 2023, 08:45 PM
:eek:

Crashed your car?!?!

CudaMan
April 14th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Man that sucks. If there's an insurance payout the silver lining is these cars are worth good coin and you may come out okay. Just might have to fight for the value using recent sales of equivalent cars so it's not valued as just any 30 year old economy car.

dodint
April 14th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that feeling sucks. Sorry this happened. I've wrecked a few myself but not anything that I was that emotionally invested in. But I have moved on from cars that I really cared a lot for, this might be an opportunity for you to try something different.

TheBenior
April 14th, 2023, 11:51 AM
Well... shit.

SkylineObsession
April 15th, 2023, 01:09 AM
:(

I can kind of feel your pain, my Vitz RS was written off late last year and even though it was cheap and not running that great, i was really emotionally attached to it as it was a cool wee car and very fun to drive.

Similar sort of thing happened to one of my brothers (who also has really bad depression and anxiety) many years ago with his beloved R32 Skyline. Lost control on a gravel road (they are notoriously bad on gravel because of HICAS etc) and totalled the car. We couldn't afford repairs at the time, so had to scrap it. :(

If you're in a similar boat (hopefully not), i'd advise trying to save up for repairs (if it's fixable) rather than scrap it like we did, as you never get over that 'what if we fixed it' feeling.

I know it's hard, with everything you're going through, but please don't let it get you down too much. All of us here want the best for you, and we'll help you in any way we can.

Rikadyn
April 16th, 2023, 06:49 AM
Lot of it seems repairable. May have to take donations to get a seibon hood, as a normal one with shipping costs more than it would

samoht
April 17th, 2023, 09:21 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that! Crashing a car you care about is always this tough mix of emotional & practical challenges to deal with all at once.

Good luck getting it repaired.

Rikadyn
April 24th, 2023, 01:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AUOVeBe.jpeg

So I got the hood open. Driver's side headlight assembly is questionable, passenger side should be okay,haven't checked the motors and both sides will need the connection links from the motor arm that connects to the headlight.

Fan still rotates but rubs against the shroud.

Next step is to remove the intake and see how fucked the radiator is.

Probably going to need to ditch the ac system as I dunno about finding another condenser for it.

Crazed_Insanity
April 24th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Wow! You’re fixing it yourself?!?!?

CudaMan
April 25th, 2023, 10:48 AM
Is this interchange list (https://apdi.mycarparts.net/items/7014347) helpful? I would think someone would have a condenser unless it was a special part for some year/trim that they didn't make very many of.

Rikadyn
April 25th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Most people have long since ditched the a/c because the whole thing weighs like 80lbs and most don't work. Probably needs a recharge but then it's old refrigerant.

It's not high on the priority list, mostly because the hvac unit is seized.

Most of the 240sx community seems to have similar experience... Most say just hammer out the radiator support and get on with it (with some saying to get a new one, and few psychos recommending I tube the front.

SkylineObsession
April 25th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Most people have long since ditched the a/c because the whole thing weighs like 80lbs and most don't work. Probably needs a recharge but then it's old refrigerant.

It's not high on the priority list, mostly because the hvac unit is seized.

Most of the 240sx community seems to have similar experience... Most say just hammer out the radiator support and get on with it (with some saying to get a new one, and few psychos recommending I tube the front.

Yeah the previous owner of my red Skyline took out the AC unit in that car. I think he said he did it to try get a bit more performance out of the engine. Of course, in the hotter days of summer it isn't too pleasant driving around in it when even open windows don't help cool you down.

Wifey said you might just need a front cut of a similar car and you should be able to fix it that way if it's bad enough. At least it seems it hasn't impacted the engine?

Rikadyn
April 26th, 2023, 02:41 PM
I have an oscillating fan that I plug in.��

Don't think it hurt the engine. Ran for a minute or two after the incident and drove it out of traffic.

Most are saying that I should be okay with just hammering out the support. Wouldn't need a clip, ppl sell the core supports, just tend to want as much as it'd cost to tube the front end when you consider in shipping and welding.

Rikadyn
May 1st, 2023, 02:05 PM
https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/344404346_788973862841735_169287282323653739_n.jpg ?stp=cp0_dst-jpg_e15_fr_q65&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoibyJ9&_nc_ohc=1Ndf70s5XnAAX8LKYdE&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_rml=0&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfAPOgSsoT3DqzMmwdqeLsOTLVMBY_Eo2GC69JTlKeLH Zg&oe=645595B0

Not a whole lot done this weekend, due to Honda needing it's exhaust fixed and rain.

Removed the headlight bracket/bumper cover supports, they are damaged but possibly salvageable at least for the time being.

Removed the air intake tube to get ready and pull the radiator shroud off. This seems like it might be a worse challenge than normal (it sucks normally) would just cut the fucker if it wasn't impossible to find.

Good news radiator still had fluid in it up to the top so hasn't been leaking it seems.

Godson
May 1st, 2023, 07:55 PM
Keep plugging away dude

Crazed_Insanity
May 1st, 2023, 08:50 PM
Wow! Looks like you’ll buff that right out soon! :p

Still can’t believe you’re fixing that on your own! That is so hardcore of you!

I have little things that I need to fix for my car, like leaky windshield washer pump and I’m still feeling lazy…

dodint
May 2nd, 2023, 08:06 AM
I admire the tenacity. The first pictures had me thinking the car was done, but you're on it. :up:

Rikadyn
May 3rd, 2023, 02:53 PM
Like I said, I showed the photos in the 240sx community and most said "should take about a weekend" which I think is a little absurd, but it's also the only time that community is supportive.

If I had access to a welder they'd probably be right. Core supports exist, though at prices competing with just tubing it.

Just going to take a bit of time. I'll probably get the bumper cover off this weekend and maybe the radiator out. Shroud hitting the fan currently is my problem as not a grand deal of space and Ka24 shrouds seem non existent so need to minimize the damage to it.

Otherwise plan is to get the front apart. Do some other maintenance while it's down, paint valve cover, replace chain tensioner, rear brakes need to be inspected as one was dragging, trans and diff fluids, some body work...

Only thing I really really regret is having my headlights up. The plastic bezels are almost 200 a pair. They are so far the most expensive part damaged other than hood and the core support.

I have little things that I need to fix for my car, like leaky windshield washer pump and I’m still feeling lazy…

Reminds me to take a look at my resevoir tank. It is cracked and need to fix that as well.

Crazed_Insanity
May 4th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Glad I can help you out man! :lol:

Rikadyn
May 14th, 2023, 05:14 AM
https://i.imgur.com/L9FTC4B.jpeg

Removed the bumper cover for better access underneath, and so I could pull it onto my ramps by the bumper. With no nose I finally feel like a member of the #240SX community as God knows how many spend their lives like this.

https://i.imgur.com/9toKcrh.jpeg

Everything looks fine, or at least straight nothing came back to the engine. Weirdly oily on the ac compressor but not worried about it. First time actually getting my head this far under the car. Wish I had disconnected the lines from the compressor so I could get everything but the compressor removed but it can wait.

Radiator drained, no leaks and unless the condenser did worse this is the damage to it from the backside. Had to pull the condenser fan out of the bottom, part of the frame is broken on the fan but rest seems fine.

https://i.imgur.com/4JaYMuo.jpeg

Crazed_Insanity
May 14th, 2023, 03:31 PM
Good progress! :up:

Rikadyn
June 25th, 2023, 04:38 PM
Sometimes you just have to hit stuff with a hammer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct4-D3WJ00v/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

dodint
June 25th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Cars can be so damn aggravating. ;)

Speaking of, Dan totalled that Rabbit you took all of those great pictures of.

Rikadyn
June 26th, 2023, 01:28 AM
Cars can be so damn aggravating. ;)

Speaking of, Dan totalled that Rabbit you took all of those great pictures of.

Didn't he just have it freshly liveried? He also offered to let me drive it, last year when I ran into him at majors running spec b

dodint
June 26th, 2023, 05:00 AM
He sure did.

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/354262639_1049909765991830_9169789705450586189_n.j pg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Sgek-e_Qk_cAX8RghAK&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=00_AfBZ8wwA8UMMU-BO24VtHIynVFdo7vRfL-Oz3mxvqDRf8A&oe=649EED1A

Should have taken him up on it.

Rikadyn
September 4th, 2023, 03:58 PM
Welp...

Rikadyn
September 5th, 2023, 05:46 AM
So been awhile...

https://i.imgur.com/Tnlk2kC.jpeg

Ended up getting it close enough to put back together and drive it for a bit until the weather gets bad. Then I should be able to garage it this year and take it apart and get it closer to correct.

Started up fine, no warning lights or any weird noises.

Removed a pile of stuff. As the condenser was toast, and the AC never worked since I bought it anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to just delete the whole thing. Also while getting rid of shit, removed the Fuel charcoal canister and Pair-C valve system. This allowed me to delete 4 vacuum lines and 3 different hoses from the intake. Also to hammer out the hood i had to cut the front half of the hood underside.

https://i.imgur.com/PbUx0hX.jpeg

So much more room...

https://i.imgur.com/lhvZmGZ.jpeg

Never took a photo of the finished structure I riveted back to the underside of the hood

https://i.imgur.com/omAEyQz.jpeg

Anyway headlights arent perfect nor is the radiator support. Plan on cutting out the old radiator support and rivnut in another one I picked up

https://imgur.com/a/FDYRmwy

dodint
September 5th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Man, I'm impressed. I thought you'd pull on it a bit and find out it wasn't able to be fixed. Great work.

Rikadyn
September 5th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Took it out for a lap (block is about 5 miles around, 55mph) took it up to 75. Coolant stuck in the middle, engine felt punchy, like get on it and it digged

CudaMan
September 5th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Excellent!

samoht
September 7th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Great work, glad the car is up and running again.

Phil_SS
September 8th, 2023, 08:10 AM
The work put into the hood and result are really impressive. :up:

Rikadyn
September 9th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Man, I'm impressed. I thought you'd pull on it a bit and find out it wasn't able to be fixed. Great work.

Honestly if I had a welder I (even if I had to use my shitty mig skill) could have probably gotten it completely fixed in a week or two.

Crazed_Insanity
September 10th, 2023, 09:46 PM
Yeah yeah, quit bragging! It’s impressive enough already! :p

Rikadyn
September 22nd, 2023, 05:45 PM

The headlights are now solid mounted. I could just buy the parts for the pop ups but with everything off a bit still rather wait as it's going to be like 50, just for the arms and end links.

Luckily there is a little flange with a bolt in it inside the assembly that after removing the bump stop that is supposed to be there, and drilling a hole in the back of the popup I could thread a bolt through and with a jam not on it lock it in place. Sounds simple but it took me two days :p.

I also love JIS bolts.

Crazed_Insanity
September 23rd, 2023, 02:59 PM
Good job! 2 days? I think it will probably take me 2 weeks or more to try to do the same works… :p

Yeti
September 27th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Impressive watching this come back together.

George
September 28th, 2023, 07:25 AM
^ +1 :up:

Rikadyn
November 9th, 2023, 04:31 AM
And now because my Honda ate it's clutches, I get to drive it in the winter ��

At least I got the heat working, I think it's permanently working but it's working none the less