PDA

View Full Version : Samoht - Mercedes C55 AMG Estate

samoht
December 5th, 2020, 05:58 AM
Have to admit, I'm a bit excited to write this :)

The seller wanted to head up North to look at an E63, so we arranged to meet at Stevenage station. This made it a 40 minute train ride and similar-length drive back, rather than more than twice that to get down to the far side of London. So an easy trip, and a familiar 45 minute drive home.

Paid the seller by bank transfer from my phone, ensured he got his stuff out of the car, and opened the laptop to tax it online. Paid for the car parking and eased out onto the ring road.

First impressions - the car is mint inside, genuinely could be new despite its 99k miles. The parking sensors are smart, with a little display in the roof so when you crane your neck backwards you get the visual feedback about how much clearance you have. Visibility is generally decent, you can see plenty to your left when pulling in after overtaking, the bonnet slopes down more than you'd think, so the low nose gives you a good view of the road immediately ahead. You wouldn't think it has such a big engine up front, but of course that's what the V8 package gives you.

This is the first automatic I've had, which took a tiny bit of getting used to especially the feeling that you have to fight the engine when starting to apply the brakes. Having said that, it has a lot of benefits, makes entering roundabouts easier for one.

Taking it cautiously across a dual carriageway roundabout, a red Audi TT came past me at speed. As he passed I pulled out into his wake and instinctively squeezed the throttle, this wonderful bub-bub-bub growl arose from behind - not super-loud, but enough to make me start laughing in the car :D There's a single-carriageway leg of the journey later, and I was behind another driver who was obviously keen to press on, so we both made a couple of overtakes when it was clear. The engine and gearbox team up well together, it's always 'ready to go' when you see the opportunity, so with the visibility makes overtaking straightforward.

The cruise control is also good when passing speed cameras.

The car felt good in roundabouts, the steering has a reassuring weight and 'tips in' to turns nicely. At lower speeds when you try and spin the wheel quickly, I felt a bit of inertia in it, unsure if this is the PAS or just how it is. So perhaps not the best for autocross, but in higher speed turns it's rather good. Overall it's a fairly compact car (68" or 173cm across) which feels wieldy with the good visibility and taut well-weighted steering, just how I like it.

A few pics of the car on my drive. The seller washed it last night, but it's done 100+ miles on damp winter roads so is far from pristine. The car's on it's 17" winter wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winters; the original staggered 18"s in mint condition are now tucked up in my garage. The winters are same size all round so don't fill the rear arches, but a small price to pay for not crashing in the snow ;-)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dCINV_fU1jDqCxwEgezMXEt7ZxU1omsgB8nSf_de6if-rMDCxIFDlfpZf7vtVmLYMJGUu4AQJgS8aAe4vtB8ZlBEQELgzt 5SXM23ZKrwXxzuocoTKxzsNpDLzvRlg5tfcck8X5UrmVdULXpf 5Cyda13A=w1288-h966-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f3PehRo_WChm-No3RTxJVud6GHvG6pDabocsz4aLHgbqr4Ml0yuJTd6fyB_EjjI tvxKIU3DJ3WCkNY_f31KfxsUoMDTpzZVPVSw_hZfeG40afcrj4 qcTNF94-SWki0DLB31IWFwUwoHtQ7J8piykUSag=w1288-h966-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dwe8EQ2XOz56kJBAI9-bHJIDkZcVg4putc71EWHMYOQGndIY4QNld8Hb9bfFGRc7pICxy pEtX1shD3a1d4CuKFSWOXUsUsI1uxwYGAVF9lKC-EQQdAyLeEx_t_Pdfm8A-ENKA52fKBe2tU3OivHFbVQA=w1333-h966-no?authuser=0
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c61RH0ZecHbi5WmQXBuaiwJAn3EBn-YeXeKbXqNEP0il0jkGTeExskRKCquCEq1SC82_jD78mgBKrwk0 nqtB6wk_zXI9kiwGPJb7Q5rnng7en_hxcN7mpFT7YdzGnC5koS q44TxnS4pFI6dr0Qm52LOQ=w1066-h872-no?authuser=0

Crazed_Insanity
December 5th, 2020, 07:49 AM
What a nice looking and fast, yet practical ride! :up:

Kchrpm
December 5th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Seems like quite the catch, glad it all worked out!

Rare White Ape
December 5th, 2020, 10:27 PM
The topic title almost reads like Sauber Mercedes C55 AMG

Godson
December 6th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Fucking sweet

Cam
December 6th, 2020, 08:59 AM
:cool::up:

TheBenior
December 6th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Very nice, I wish we had more of these in the states.

Heck, I wish VW had sold the MK7.5 GTI in wagon form. I would've bought that instead of my hatchback style.

CudaMan
December 6th, 2020, 06:40 PM
Looks brilliant! What year is it again? Again with our similarities - I bought my German comfort-mobile with 98K miles on it. :) Approaching 120K now, having traveled across the US 5 times.

How does the suspension feel? One of the things that has been love/hate about my 328i is the suspension. I love it when there are bumps in the road as it just soaks them up. On the other hand some of the engineering seems too overboard in that direction, particularly for a Sport package car. It doesn't feel connected enough through my bum. I suspect much of it is bushing compliance - some of the bushings have quite a bit of void area in them. The car tightened up a lot with fresh dampers and mounts, and I've added a stiffer front sway bar which also helped with front end response and composure. I feel like there is more needed particularly at the rear. Subframe bushing inserts are next on the list. I think I really wanted an M3. :lol: [Much better bushings all around]

Compact/midsize RWD wagons are the best. :up:

samoht
December 6th, 2020, 11:50 PM
This car was registered Jan 2007, so one of the last of the W203 C-classes, before the W204 arrived. The previous owner put 20k miles on it in under two years, I probably won't rack up as much as that.

Suspension is fairly taut, it does bump a bit over poor surfaces around town although probably no worse than the Z, probably slightly better and the comfortable seats help. This was seen as an E46 M3 rival at the time, although obviously back then, Mercs were always more isolated than BMWs. Haven't really driven it enough to judge the handling feel.

The traction is surprisingly good on the winter tyres, it's cold and damp here now, I joined an empty motorway yesterday and it just squatted, hooked up and went, love the torque of this thing and the way it pulls smoothly through the revs. The autobox works well when you want to accelerate, seems to get the power flowing smoothly yet immediately.

On a less positive note I put some CDs in the changer in the glovebox and it promptly jammed - pressing eject does nothing, I can see one of the CD trays is extended so presumably failing to return to the changer. Hope I can fix this!

Yw-slayer
December 7th, 2020, 07:18 AM
Time to upgrade to Android Auto.

Crazed_Insanity
December 8th, 2020, 08:03 AM
No CarPlay! :p

samoht
December 30th, 2020, 03:29 PM
A Christmas visit to family in Yorkshire, and a walk near Blakey Ridge yielded a chance to drive back from the Lion Inn to Hutton-le-Hole, favoured moorland road of Brit car mags. The V8 was relatively little-needed due to the mostly downhill slope, but the handling was good, it finds a nice rhythm with the road and has a good balance of bump absorption and body control, being forgiving when you need to brake into a corner.

Sorry no pics, it was blowing a gale and freezing up on the ridge so I didn't want to take my gloves off to faff taking photos.

It was also pretty comfortable on the three-hour drive to and from Cambridge, cruise is good too. I'm still loving the power and how smoothly it accelerates.

I did manage to flatten the battery once, I think it's perhaps got a bit of a current drain. After a little google I'm guessing the malfunctioning CD player is the most likely culprit, so replacing the head unit has moved up the priority list. Anyway I've now got a jump-start pack and a charger so can manage the issue for the time being, it's only needed help starting once so far.

Overall I'm finding myself with a distinct 'Mercedes feeling' behind the wheel, a mixture of comfort, wellbeing, satisfaction and (to be honest) a soupcon of smugness. I'm not sure what causes this feeling, how much it's the heated leather seats, torquey engine/auto box combo and smooth-edged way it goes down the road, and how much it's the social construct surrounding the brand.

PS new head unit will be running Android Auto off my phone, unless my wife hooks her phone up in which case it'll be CarPlay ;-)

samoht
September 18th, 2022, 07:47 AM
Been a while since the last update, but for now I'll skip the boring stuff and talk about our current road trip. We're currently in The Hague in Holland, awaiting the ferry home over the North Sea tomorrow. We started by taking the channel tunnel to France, driving to Brussels for a couple of nights. Then Stuttgart and on to Dresden, in the former East Germany, and finally back west to The Hague.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEU9akCV0BUxIOQmdacUISVnOeyc7IHPNmFjDub9oHqx77 aywmh0JoJidR-karwS9UWRbvyh8MYknSphxcuRNUi7bBdpjHUX_RlVZxx3yj_c4 ax10EYzW3_YHhbyW0158coaTI-oHwlsjP4KcJBszXO8qg=w2438-h1828-no?authuser=0

It's been a lot of driving, yesterday was a bit under 500 miles and somewhere over seven hours' actual driving, plus stops, but the Merc has been very comfortable and we've not felt the distance at all. The seats are great in this, typically Mercedes quality seats plus nappa leather.

Of course, much of the driving was on the German autobahn, which means in many sections no speed limit applies. This was the first time I've driven on the autobahn, and obviously the AMG is very much at home here

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEXqEbHFhlKzc1FvRGQ397ceSUmFQEdEbu-z6eEXup_R6ORVPxNLqxihdjVaW-sFxYRZ6Fr1uCi0xX00KdCr0F23k-kBFnZ8GhaKyMe48qxh6iwQf7oXsK2UloS6pkPDeNkMwJf8XyQV 8ZImgF9k90sYNw=w1570-h1780-no?authuser=0

This was a brief burst, at which point I did feel the 250 km/h limiter cut in gently. I did also have the cruise on 125mph (200 km/h) for about five minutes uninterrupted. The car is nicely stable and controllable at speed, and hangs onto the surprisingly significant curves confidently. It's not too noisy, although it's quite low geared, turning 5,500 rpm in fifth (top) gear at the speed limiter. At least the engine is smooth so you don't really notice that it's spinning away, it just gulps fuel.

I'm not the type to make a 'bucket list' of things to do before I die, but I do feel hugely satisfied to have hit 250 km/h on an autobahn, after years of hearing about them and reading "limited to 155mph" so many times in magazines.

In fact one can't drive that fast that often, as many sections are limited, there were a lot of roadworks going on, and there was traffic for quite a bit. However it just feels so, so great to punch it from 80mph up to 100 or more every time the outside lane clears, a lovely smooth burst of speed. Honestly it's is a bit addictive.

The adventure has definitely reinforced my love of this car, it is in its element in triple-digit speeds as you'd expect. It's a really nice combo of being enough of a Grand Tourer to shrink distances, yet narrow and wieldy enough to be easy to manoeuvre around medieval city centres and multi-story car parks, or enjoy on a winding road. A big V8 may drink petrol, but when you actually use it properly, it's just something special to be able to experience. I feel v fortunate to have the car and the chance to make this sort of trip with it. Who knows, since Atsuko seems to have a never-ending list of European cities she likes to visit, we may well do something similar again next year.

Yw-slayer
September 18th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you are having a great time! I'm jealous.

Crazed_Insanity
September 18th, 2022, 08:20 AM
Wow! Rev limited?!?!

I’ve tried to get my S2k up to see how fast it can go, but I’m not sure S2k has sufficient power to get up there even on the autobahn!

Also, pretty sure if my wife were next to me, she would’ve killed me 1st before I get to that speed! :D

Anyway,I’m really impressed by that C55 AMG!

FaultyMario
September 18th, 2022, 08:53 AM
Lovely.

Phil_SS
September 19th, 2022, 05:32 AM
Very jealous! I love road trips and that looks like a great one. Especially in a proper road eating monster like the C55 AMG.