PDA

View Full Version : Is this for real? Gran Turismo is now an Olympic sport?

Crazed_Insanity
April 22nd, 2021, 11:01 AM
https://www.ign.com/articles/gran-turismo-and-a-konami-baseball-game-are-now-olympic-sports

Cudaman could become a gold medal winning Olympian!?!?!?

Dicknose
April 22nd, 2021, 03:10 PM
Interesting...
I guess they see this as a way to expand. I do like that they picked things based on real world sports.
Not sure how big it will become.

G'day Mate
April 22nd, 2021, 06:31 PM
They really need something that's a cross between Zwift and Gran Turismo, incorporating both skill and physical fitness.

Rare White Ape
April 22nd, 2021, 06:37 PM
It’s not going to be in the Olympics. It’s part of the lead up to the games themselves, along with a few other Olympic-adjacent sports like Baseball and sailing.

But full IOC and FIA support and a vision to the future is what it will be.

GT Sport was already part of the FIA Race Of Champions in 2019.

Another thing of note: Motorsport has no current link to any Olympic sport, save for the 1900 summer games. To have any form of sim racing there is quite significant. It is arguably the most popular of the esports categories that are being held for the Olympics.

MR2 Fan
April 23rd, 2021, 10:02 AM
I've said it before, but if you think about it...sim racing is probably the closest thing to real life sport activity you can do with a local pc/console and a good setup....sitting down, relatively accurate physics etc. (obviously no actual G-forces unless you've got one of those types of simulators)

Crazed_Insanity
April 23rd, 2021, 10:09 AM
Anyway, makes me itching to start training soon. Even if I can't qualify to represent USA, look forward to cheering on for Cudaman! :D

George
April 23rd, 2021, 10:21 AM
Gran Turismo?

Homer Simpson voice: Boring.

Grand Theft Auto would be a lot more fun to watch.

Kchrpm
April 23rd, 2021, 10:56 AM
I've said it before, but if you think about it...sim racing is probably the closest thing to real life sport activity you can do with a local pc/console and a good setup....sitting down, relatively accurate physics etc. (obviously no actual G-forces unless you've got one of those types of simulators)

There's a drone racing sim game. That wins.

Also arguably the games where you control an army from the safety of your computer, watching your men die in the form of numbers, is probably quite accurate...

Yw-slayer
April 24th, 2021, 05:04 AM
Also arguably the games where you control an army from the safety of your computer, watching your men die in the form of numbers, is probably quite accurate...

Sad But True!!!!!!!!!!

Cam
April 25th, 2021, 04:43 AM
Savage. I don’t know to laugh or cry at that.

Crazed_Insanity
April 25th, 2021, 01:57 PM
It’d be kinda nice if these sims will become real enough that nations could just have ‘virtual’ wars in order to settle their scores.

Rare White Ape
April 25th, 2021, 03:20 PM
They already do. (https://www.wired.com/2014/11/countdown-to-zero-day-stuxnet/)

Crazed_Insanity
April 25th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Well I’m talking about creating a matrix virtual world for people to engage in traditional type of warfare. Virtual guns, tanks, fighter jets...

Of course cyber warfare that involves hacking or destroying enemy computers or other computer controlled infrastructures could make US particularly vulnerable... and US seemed to not be very good at defending itself against hackers...