PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your favourite jimdoha stories

Cam
December 31st, 2021, 05:47 AM
Just in case you did not hear, jimdoha passed away of cancer this week. For those of you that do not know who that is, I will explain. Jim was part of the regular group of Xbox Live players back in the day. Me, Jim, NickT, Kid21, effingham, Kchrpm, TM Riddle, novicus, Samurai Nigel, among others, played Halo and Call of Duty together just about every day for years. Jim participated in this community for a little while, but did not post much. He was loved like a brother by several members of this community, past and present.

One of my first memories of jimdoha was in Halo, of course. We were playing multiplayer battle where the objective was to hold the skull for as long as possible. Jim got ahold of the skull and went into the air vent in the middle of the map, which threw him up and down in the air. He just bounced up and down yelling, "Kill me red team!" He basically just bounced up and down while the other team unsuccessfully tried to get the skull. We just basically stood back, watched and laughed. :lol:

When Jim thought our team's victory was imminent, he sometimes would team kill for laughs. We had come to expect it from him, so it was all in good fun. I never did stuff like that. We were playing a flag capture game and I was carrying the flag into our base for the final cap and Jim was between me and the capture point. It's like things went to slow motion. Jim turned to face me, shotgun in hand and murder in his virtual eyes. I put the butt of the flag through his face and capped for the win. The rest of the team, who were high fiving each other at that moment all screamed, "Oooooohh!" Jim said, "Good one, Cam." We all had a good laugh. :lol:

Yw-slayer
December 31st, 2021, 05:55 AM
Man, sorry to hear that he passed away.

Crazed_Insanity
December 31st, 2021, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear…, thanks for the explanation. We really had no idea who he is. Sounds like a fun guy!

Kchrpm
December 31st, 2021, 08:00 AM
My memory of JimDoha, in general, is him making every night of gaming better with his personality, teamwork, and skill.

A specific memory is a game at Blood Gulch where a random teammate drove off with the Warthog and no gunner before I could get to it. Jim went out, killed him, and brought it back to me, without any prompting or request.

Cam
December 31st, 2021, 08:24 AM
Yeah, he was a funny guy and very skilled at first-person shooters--a stone cold murderer, even. He was the best player I ever had the pleasure of teaming up with.

MR2 Fan
December 31st, 2021, 09:35 AM
:(

FaultyMario
December 31st, 2021, 12:00 PM
My sincere condolences.

Kchrpm
December 31st, 2021, 12:53 PM
I want to reiterate that Jim was talented but also understanding of other people's skill levels, preferences, etc. He realized what you were good at, didn't expect you to do things outside of your scope and knew to call out positive feedback when you did (like the couple times I did ok with the sniper).

He was just about the perfect teammate to have for a fun night of gaming, and we had so many of them. And it really seemed like that was just genuinely him, and he was probably that way in most situations.

speedpimp
December 31st, 2021, 02:11 PM
RIP.

Nick T
December 31st, 2021, 03:50 PM
Jim was my best friend. We grew up together here in NE Ohio where we met in grade school. I spent an awful lot of time with him and his family to the extent that they are actual family to me still to this day. Words cannot express what I am feeling. I am going to miss him more than I can even imagine.

I am quite happy to see the love that he's getting, and I have received some thoughtful messages. He made an awful lot of friends with this group and it shows. It speaks volumes to the type of dude Jim was. Thanks again to everyone that has reached out to me. It really is appreciated.

I had heard that there was a video of some sort. If someone could find a way to get it to me or Heather I would be eternally grateful.

Jason
December 31st, 2021, 04:40 PM
Just want to extend my condolences to everyone, I'm not sure I ever met him, but I do remember him in a few Halo games back before I gave up on that, seemed like a great a dude like most everyone in this community is. RIP <3

Cam
December 31st, 2021, 05:05 PM
Nice to see you Nick. I am so sorry about Jim. I knew you guys were best friends. I think this is the video you heard about. I shot the footage at the 2009 Chicago Auto Show gathering and edited it later. https://cameronporter.net/videos/chicago09.wmv

Nick T
December 31st, 2021, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Cam. I was just at adding context for anyone that didn't know. That video is awesome, I forgot all about it. Fun fact about that auto show weekend: I called Heather on Valentine's Day to ask her out.

Ashie
January 1st, 2022, 01:59 PM
I'm so sorry for your guys loss. I'm not certain if I met Jim, but it's clear from the post that he was well loved. Hugs to you all.

GreatScawt
January 2nd, 2022, 09:35 AM
I said it briefly in the other thread because I hadn't seen this thread:

But when I first got into online console gaming (on 360), many people here (Carlo, Keith, Nick, Bill, Cam, Nigel, Randy and many others) included me in their shenanigans. And JimDoha was often part of that group. I want to echo what Keith said, because it really is a good distillation of my experience playing with Jim: He had a presence to him that was kind-hearted and welcoming regardless of skill, all while top-fragging, carrying the team, AND making people laugh. That was pretty apparent to me almost immediately after meeting him.

Really gutted to hear the news. And for those that were even closer to him.

George
January 2nd, 2022, 10:05 AM
Sorry to hear this sad news.

21Kid
January 2nd, 2022, 04:55 PM
So heartbroken when I heard Jim had passed. My experience was exactly the same as Keith and Scott have mentioned. He was an awesome teammate and a great person.

As for a specific memory I have of him... The one that always comes to mind is our Valentines Day massacre in the first COD Modern Warfare. I think we were waiting for the rest of the COD crew on our weekly gaming night. We just thought we'd jump into a team deathmatch and warm up. It was on the map with a bunch of shipping containers and I called out a challenge to use only shotguns. I don't even remember if we had teammates. We destroyed the other team!!! And we had a blast. We were laughing at how just about everything went our way. It could not have been a better game.

At the end of the game I was ecstatic to have gotten 40 some kills (out of 100 for the whole team). As we laughed and waited for the end game stats to show up, Jim had 50+ kills.

My best non-Jim memory was when that same game first came out. Chris and I where playing and I got a huge kill streak, like 17 or so... and I rubbed that in Jim's face for weeks, until he finally beat my record (obviously).
He would pretend to be pissed and laugh it off knowing that I was just joking.

Fucking Jim. :lol: He was the best! :(

Gooooooooooooold!!!

Cam
January 2nd, 2022, 07:52 PM
I remember a game where a couple of my team mates were arguing about who gets the sniper rifle. (TM Riddle was not playing with us at the time.) Jim basically told them to shut up and just play, "We got two B snipers fighting over the sniper rifle... Cam's a B+." I responded, "Thanks, Jim. That is nice of you to say." :lol:

HondaKid86
January 2nd, 2022, 10:59 PM
He always added a lot to the in-person gatherings. If he was there, it was a party. Y'all were so jazzed to get to hang with him in person, on the rare occasion. And what makes you happy, makes me happy.

What makes you sad makes me sad, too.

My condolences to those grieving this loss to our community. Thank you for sharing the happy times. ❤️

drew
January 3rd, 2022, 01:36 AM
Still feel, numb. Jim, Nick, Nigel & Chris made a yearly pilgrimage to my tiny house in IN from about 2004-2009.

One year for the autoshow, can't remember which one, one of the earlier ones, Nick and Jim show up, I thought "sweet, I don't have to drive this year", so I started on the Morgan early (like 2pm early, they weren't supposed to be at my house until 6-7pm).

They show up in Jim's Focus, stuffed to shit with TVs/sleeping bags, everything. Even with a 4 hour head start on "festivities", there was no way my claustrophobia was going to let me sit in the back all the way to Aurora. So I threw Nick the keys to my Explorer, we transferred cargo to it from teh Focus, and off we went.

That was also the first time I met Jay and Lori, and probably horrified her.

That fucking mouse.

Nick, I can't imagine any words that might help, but I will say he will be deeply missed. I know it's been a while since I had the chance to hang with you guys (NYE 2012-2013 I think), but the countless times I did get the pleasure, it was among the best I can remember.

love you buddy.

sandydandy
January 3rd, 2022, 08:44 AM
I never knew him, or of him. I'm sorry for the community's loss.

Nigel
January 4th, 2022, 07:24 AM
There are too many Jim stories to pick a favorite, both in and out of gaming. Here's a story that stands out in my memory:

Once upon a time, it was auto show weekend. I'm pretty sure it was the same year of the video Cam posted above. We stayed the night at Jay's house before heading to the auto show. Jay and Lori had a hide-a-bed style pull-out couch that Jim and I shared. Jim was a big dude, and back then, I was not. I remember spending half the night trying to keep my back to him, but the weight difference just made it feel like I was trying to fall asleep while keeping myself from rolling down a sloped hill. I was uncomfortable and grumpy about it.

At some point in the night, I finally just gave up and rolled toward him. I ended up spooning him from behind. He let out a warm grumble, and I slept soundly for the rest of the night.

The end.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Nick. Jim was a fantastic friend to many of us, and I think we were all at least a little jealous that we could never have the time and experience with him that you were graced with. We're all better people for having known him. We're all less now without him.

Cam
January 4th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Nigel. Good one.

Nick T
January 4th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Story with omitted details

You fucker, you left out my favorite part of this story! You pulled out what I think was a big gulp travel mug, filled that bitch up with ice, and then proceeded to dump into it a fifth of rum while proudly proclaiming "You know what I like about rum? It doesn't make me piss!"

"The Gang is Annoyed by Drew's Constant Need to Piss"

We get, like, 30 minutes from Jay and LG's, and this mother fucker is doing the pee dance again. After busting his balls about rum not making him piss, we pull off in an area of the Chicago suburbs that I can only explain as being a place where apparently no one needs to relieve themselves because it's an endless office park. Drew picks his favorite parking lot, gets out to piss next to the truck, and is out there for like 2 minutes before I start to creep the truck forward. He swears at me in a way only a full-bladdered, drunk Drew could, we all have a laugh, and we're on our merry way.

Nick T
January 4th, 2022, 05:08 PM
I know I've digressed, but it's been heartwarming reading these posts. Jim always wanted to make sure that everyone was having fun no matter what we were doing, and it is awesome being around someone like that.

Cam
January 4th, 2022, 07:46 PM
^^^ This. :heart:

Godson
January 4th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Damn. I remember the name, but never knew him. He sounds like an awesome individual.

:(

pl8ster
January 5th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Holy crap. I am sorry to hear this.

drew
January 5th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Alternate facts

Pissless Rum is the shit.

speedpimp
January 5th, 2022, 04:00 PM
I needed some laughs and I got them reading these stories.

Sorry Nick.

Cam
January 20th, 2022, 07:33 PM
I came back to look at this and I am crying right now. Jim was an all-around great dude. As Kch said, he went out of his way to ensure all his friends were having a good time. His great loss is felt by all who knew him.