PDA

View Full Version : Pee Ess Three

thesameguy
January 6th, 2014, 12:42 PM
My PS3 hasn't been used in about three years, and since xbone won't run x360 stuff I really think I need to keep the x360 around for a while. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the xbl gwg later this month, and I definitely want in on that. Seems like the PS3 has to go to accommodate that.

It's sole possible reprieve is if someone can tell me a way to get it to stream media content from the network. PS3 Media Server isn't an option because my home server is an AMD E-350 and nowhere near powerful enough to transcode. (Since WHS is discontinued and xbone doesn't support streaming from SMB (yet) I *may* replace the server with a W7 machine, but probably not). I need a media player on the PS3 that can play media natively, primarily MP3, FLAC, XVID, and h.264 in primarily AVI and MKV containers. I don't think there is a way to do that. Can anybody tell me different?

Related, does anyone know how to de-upgrade or otherwise hack a PS3 to run Linux? That could be an option as well. I'm 80% ok with the risk of bricking it, because used PS3s are worth like $100. I wouldn't miss that all that much.

harper
January 6th, 2014, 01:26 PM
PS3s could run Linux, but it's been removed about five firmwares ago. If yours really HAS sat and gathered dust for years, turn it on but WITHOUT going online (so as to trip the updater). From there, just google about it, I'm sure there are still guides.

The funny thing is, I'd suggest getting PlayStation Plus is the best bargain in gaming right now. For the membership (which costs about $50 a year, though there are sales) you get at least one full-retail title per month, and sometimes more than that -- especially in November and December and around E3 in June.

Take a look: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/06/playstation-plus-dont-starve-dmc-free-for-members/

Rob
January 6th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Related to both of those posts, I got free Guardian Of Light about 14 months ago on PS+ and it was dull. I Cam'd that shit after an hour or so.

thesameguy
January 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
XBL Gold gets you two full titles per month*, so it's pretty competitive. Regardless, over time, I've bought three titles for PS3 (Fat Princess, GT5, and that one game that won lots of awards) and the only one i ever played was Fat Princess. There just haven't been any compelling PS3-exclusive titles that have held any interest for me. I kept the PS3 this long simply as a backup Blu Ray player, but I don't even need that with the xbone. My relationship with PlayStation is at an end, unless I can come up with a way to use it as a media consumption device.

Unfortunately, the "remove other os" update came out long before I stopped using it, so I need a hack to undo or bypass that. Or some other app entirely that has built-in codecs or something. Like VLC for PS3, which sadly does not exist.

* XBL only costs me $30/yr, right Novi?! :D

thesameguy
January 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Related to both of those posts, I got free Guardian Of Light about 14 months ago on PS+ and it was dull. I Cam'd that shit after an hour or so.

Shit. Well, whatever. I'll save it for a drunken, rainy day when my judgment is impaired.

Rob
January 6th, 2014, 02:17 PM
It's essentially Robotron with a load of fluff mechanics and tedious timing puzzles added. The co-op might be a laugh though.

harper
January 6th, 2014, 11:49 PM
XBL Gold gets you two full titles per month*, so it's pretty competitive. Regardless, over time, I've bought three titles for PS3 (Fat Princess, GT5, and that one game that won lots of awards) and the only one i ever played was Fat Princess. There just haven't been any compelling PS3-exclusive titles that have held any interest for me. I kept the PS3 this long simply as a backup Blu Ray player, but I don't even need that with the xbone. My relationship with PlayStation is at an end, unless I can come up with a way to use it as a media consumption device.

Unfortunately, the "remove other os" update came out long before I stopped using it, so I need a hack to undo or bypass that. Or some other app entirely that has built-in codecs or something. Like VLC for PS3, which sadly does not exist.

* XBL only costs me $30/yr, right Novi?! :D

I would dare argue that PS+ has been the better deal for a long, loooooong time, but I'll just let this long list of PS+ titles in North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_Ameri ca)) do the talking for me.

Rob
January 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I can't help thinking that the PS+ quality will take a bit of a shit though as the "free" offerings get diluted by the currently awful PS4 additions in the same way it did when they added the underwhelming Vita games, reducing the amount of PS3 stuff up for grabs every month.

Can't complain though, 18 months of generally really decent games the price of a couple of those discs in a shop.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I would dare argue that PS+ has been the better deal for a long, loooooong time, but I'll just let this long list of PS+ titles in North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_Ameri ca)) do the talking for me.

Yeah, not for me. There are maybe a dozen titles on that list I have any interest in, and of those dozen titles I'd have played or preferred them on the PC - Saints Row, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc. There are exactly three games on the list I'd have liked in their native format - VF5, Altered Beast and Golden Axe - but like so many retro games I think I like the idea of them more than the reality. I am reminded I downloaded Outrun for free as part of the "we got hacked" apology, and my enjoyment lasted exactly one Delirium Nocturnum, and then the PS3 went back to sleep. 80% of that list is, IMHO, shite.

Rob
January 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM
80% of that list is, IMHO, shite.

You'll love Guardian Of Light.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Don't get my hopes up!

:D

:(

overpowered
January 8th, 2014, 03:44 PM
http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Downgrading_Firmware

thesameguy
January 8th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Well now, that's good information! I also got wondering if there is a jailbreak for PS3s like iPhones. Take Sony out of the equation entirely. Need to do a little research before throwing this thing away.

Rare White Ape
January 9th, 2014, 03:39 AM
I've heard that you can jailbreak the fucking balls off the PS3, but never looked into it. I still see mine as a solid piece of gaming hardware.

Rare White Ape
February 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM
My solid piece of gaming hardware now likes to turn itself off at random intervals. The power supply might be fried, or it could be the main board. Repairing it is just not economical.

So I bought a new 12GB super slim (AWESOME VALUE) to replace it yesterday. Apparently you can't just put the old HDD into the new one and continue as normal like you can on the Xbox. I either need to buy a new HDD or fuck about backing up and restoring onto a shitty old unreliable drive and copying cross.

Cue many hours of retarded HDD wrangling.

*angry face*

thesameguy
February 15th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Take my advice, trade yours for a bunch of bourbon. Much better payoff.

Rare White Ape
February 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Bourbon would only last until 2am next Sunday, but a PS3 is forever.

Until it breaks down.

TheBenior
February 15th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I've done that PS3 backup and transfer a couple of times (when I swapped drives to a 500GB and again when old fatty's blu-ray assembly crapped out), and that shit takes forever.

Rare White Ape
February 15th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I've decided to just get a 1 month subscription to PS Plus and transfer my saves across. Everything else can be downloaded or installed again.

It's cheaper than getting a new HDD to use for half a day, plus I get some games for free for that month.

overpowered
December 29th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I just tried playing Tomb Raider Underworld since I never finished it back in the day. Maybe I need this.

http://www.amazon.com/Mod-Freakz-Console-Controller-Danger/dp/B00K6GXZC8/?tag=ohmy0c-20

LHutton
December 30th, 2015, 11:51 AM
My PS3 hasn't been used in about three years, and since xbone won't run x360 stuff I really think I need to keep the x360 around for a while. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is the xbl gwg later this month, and I definitely want in on that. Seems like the PS3 has to go to accommodate that.

It's sole possible reprieve is if someone can tell me a way to get it to stream media content from the network. PS3 Media Server isn't an option because my home server is an AMD E-350 and nowhere near powerful enough to transcode. (Since WHS is discontinued and xbone doesn't support streaming from SMB (yet) I *may* replace the server with a W7 machine, but probably not). I need a media player on the PS3 that can play media natively, primarily MP3, FLAC, XVID, and h.264 in primarily AVI and MKV containers. I don't think there is a way to do that. Can anybody tell me different?

Related, does anyone know how to de-upgrade or otherwise hack a PS3 to run Linux? That could be an option as well. I'm 80% ok with the risk of bricking it, because used PS3s are worth like $100. I wouldn't miss that all that much.
You can get a PS3 emulator for the PC free if you look hard enough.

thesameguy
December 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I didn't want to play PS3 games on my PC, I wanted to run my PC on my PS3. :)