- 1989 Ford LTD Country Squire LX
- 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata FMII
- 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
- 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe
- 1981 Mazda RX-7 GS
- 1990 BMW 325i 4-door

thesameguy
January 6th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Wow, I didn't know you'd had an E28. Neat.

KillerB
January 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Bought at the beginning of a summer for $500 with the intention of parting it out. Never got around to it and sold it in the fall for $450. I don't think I ever actually got insurance on it or registered it. It was a piece of junk, had over 200,000 miles on it, and the kid who bought it from me broke it on the test drive. :lol: Front coil spring rusted through and snapped.

The eta motor was torquey and fun to drive with the manual transmission, though. :)

Random
January 6th, 2014, 02:37 PM
A prime LeMons candidate years too soon.

KillerB
January 6th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Seriously. This was back in 2002... or maybe 2003. I forget which.

FaultyMario
January 6th, 2014, 03:11 PM
- 1981 Mazda RX-7 GS
- 1987 BMW 528e
- 1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5
- 1988 Mazda RX-7 GTU (2)
- 1989 Ford LTD Country Squire LX
- 1990 BMW 325i 4-door
- 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata FMII
- 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
- 1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe
- 2000 Honda Civic Si
- 2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT
- 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe

I'm sorry, but my OCD kicked in.

KillerB
January 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I listed them in the order I acquired them. :)

KillerB
January 12th, 2014, 07:46 PM
You know, I'm starting to warm up to FC convertibles. Mostly because it seems like all the nice ones left are 'verts. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-RX-7-Convertible-Convertible-2-Door-1988-mazda-rx-7-convertible-convertible-2-door-1-3-l-/251424261134?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3a8a0dc40e&item=251424261134&pt=US_Cars_Trucks)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1988-Mazda-RX-7-Convertible-Convertible-2-Door-1-3L-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/w~kAAOxy63FS0xs-/$_57.JPG

KillerB
January 12th, 2014, 07:58 PM
...and this one. (http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/mazda/rx7/1620826.html)

thesameguy
January 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Same thing happened to c900s and to a large degree E30s. Nobody tuned/raced/wrecked the old floppy convertibles.

KillerB
January 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Makes sense. A Turbo II swap would be legal, but it requires swapping the entire drivetrain. Maybe an RX-8 motor and driveline instead?

Godson
January 22nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
Buddy of mine had a vert FC in highschool. I have always been a fan of em.

KillerB
February 7th, 2015, 01:31 AM
I feel so left out, there's no 28 page thread here.

I still haven't replaced the tires on the Mazda yet. I ended up only putting 3,000 miles on it last year. That's what happens when you live less than 7 miles from work and have two different cars to commute in. :lol: I'll do it this spring, though, as it's time to finally use that 4WD and go up Santiago Peak. I do occasionally find some dirt and engage the 4WD to keep the oil flowing where it should.

I need to get the driver's seat recovered, and the stereo cuts out more and more frequently, but meh. I'm reluctant to waste a NOS seat covering while I still have to park it outdoors, and mechless head units get better all the time, so there's no reason not to wait until the stereo stops working entirely. The CD mechanism in mine stopped working, but who the hell listens to CDs anymore anyway?

Last time I had it in for an oil change (basically a full year ago now), I found out that there's a slow leak in the power steering hose. I'll have them replace it when it goes in for an oil change later this month.

The Challenger... um... I replaced a rear turn signal bulb that burned out. I walked to the auto parts store on my block and the bulb literally cost less than a dollar. :lol:

KillerB
September 4th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Most recent updates:

Challenger:
- Did 48,000 mile service. No issues to report.

B2600i:
- New tires - went with the old reliable Goodyear Wrangler. Got them installed for about $80 a tire. Much quieter and better riding, and they did just fine going up Santiago Peak.
- After the trip up Santiago Peak, I got it detailed. The paint is starting to wear through in several spots. Once I've got covered parking for it, I'm going to look at getting it repainted.
- The ECU is crapping out. The ECUs in these were made by Mitsubishi, along with the ECUs for several other Japanese makes in the late 80s and early 90s. They used capacitors that leak and destroy the whole works. I sent mine to AVPROECU, who will repair it for $190. Hopefully it's not too far gone - they should get it on Tuesday.

thesameguy
September 4th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Did you price a reman ECM from an auto parts store?

(Rockauto seems to have them for $200)

KillerB
September 4th, 2015, 06:42 PM
The consensus is that those will need to be sent to AVPRO after a year or two anyway. Plus AVPRO offers a lifetime warranty on any ECU they rebuild.

thesameguy
September 5th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Well, you can't beat that!

Godson
September 6th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Wait, you paid 80 to mount each tire?

Random
September 6th, 2015, 08:14 PM
I read that as $80/tire, installed.

speedpimp
September 8th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Same.

KillerB
September 11th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Yes, a missing comma made it unclear. I meant $80 per tire, including installation.

The repaired ECU came today, but I got home after dark. Installation to come tomorrow.

Godson
September 11th, 2015, 10:11 PM
That's a steal then!

KillerB
September 12th, 2015, 06:51 PM
The ECU is in - the verdict? The misfire, hesitation, bogging and check engine light are all gone, but the unstable idle remains.

Godson
September 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Care to fill me in on the unstable idle condition?

KillerB
September 13th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Sometimes rising and falling over the course of a second or two, sometimes just plain idling too low.

thesameguy
September 13th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Is the idle valve a "newer" stepper type valve, or is one of the older GM/Ford open/closed solenoid-style valves? I don't know much about older Asian fuel injection systems....

Point being, if it's a sometimes low idle and the valve is a stepper type then it could be the valve. However, if it's a solenoid type valve, it's probably a fuel/spark/air issue and almost can't be the valve. :)

thesameguy
September 13th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Holy wackadoo valve!

http://www.rockauto.com/info/154/AC219photo%20primary__ra_p.jpg

WTF?

KillerB
December 28th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Chrysler's poor reliability strikes again... I've had to replace a second rear turn signal bulb around the 60,500 mile mark.

(Seriously, though, the car has been essentially perfect over 60,000 miles. Worst things to go wrong have been a torn underhood seal - replaced for free by Chrysler despite it not being technically under warranty - and a plastic third brake light housing that deformed a bit and allowed a bee to crawl inside and die, but then deformed enough back the other way that I can't get it out. :lol: ...and two turn signal bulbs burned out. 60,000 mile service isn't going to be cheap, though - 16 spark plugs and a bunch of other nonsense that even at my very good independent mechanic is going to run close to $1,000. Then, in another 5,000 miles or so, it'll be time for its third set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars.)

In further Chrysler news, my wife's 1999 Durango (which she's owned since new) is now over 230,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. Not too shabby!

The Mazda's driver's seat needs completely redone - the seat cover is cracked badly enough that I need to order an NOS replacement, and the foam is disintegrating. I'm budgeting several hundred dollars to do it, but I keep putting it off because I don't currently have covered parking for it. At least the dash isn't cracked! Everything else on it is working just fine. Still needs paint, still isn't getting it for the same reason it hasn't gotten a new driver's seat.

FaultyMario
December 28th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Why stay on Goodyears?

Leon
December 28th, 2016, 11:23 PM
a plastic third brake light housing that deformed a bit and allowed a bee to crawl inside and die, but then deformed enough back the other way that I can't get it out..

Your handle is KillerB. Your car kills bees.

*chuckle*

dodint
December 29th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Am I remembering wrong or don't you have a plane? Or do you have a share in one with a flying club?

Godson
December 29th, 2016, 06:19 AM
1k for service, :lol:, own a Ducati.

Try that every 7500 miles.

novicius
December 29th, 2016, 07:24 AM
If you're out of warranty, can't you do the bulk of this yourself?

Change the oil & filter
Replace the air cleaner filter
Replace the spark plugs
Inspect the front & rear brake linings & rotors
Check/replace the PCV valve
Change the transmission fluid & filter
Check/replace the A/C cabin filter
Flush & replace engine coolant at 60 months or 100K miles
Rotate/check/replace the tires

That's the 60K mile checkup list. $1,000 USD seems REALLY out of line for work that should all be found on YouTube for free. It's not like you have to lay on a piece of cardboard in the middle of a Pennsylvania winter anymore. ;) :up:

Why stay on Goodyears?
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2129&stc=1
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2130&stc=1

For the money and living in California, I'd take a risk on the Firestone Indy 500's. :D #cheap>performance

21Kid
December 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I prefer other people to test them out first. ;) I like those BFGOODRICH's.

IMO tires are worth an extra $20

novicius
December 29th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Considering those Indy 500's are gonna be on the Bananastang (for $100/tire at my size), I'll provide a full report. :D

thesameguy
December 29th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I have those BFGs on the XR4Ti and on the rear of the Fiero. Totally happy with them. Not the best tire in the world, but zero to actually complain about. I would definitely buy them again.

Ya'll know my opinion on the Supercars.

Godson
December 29th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I'm a hankook fanboy.

They have seriously great tires, they just wear fast.

I like the looks of the Firehawks

thesameguy
December 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I have those Hankooks on the SPG and am satisfied with them, but at the same price the BFGs are definitely better in the wet and they seem to offer better turn-in as well. Obviously, it's tough to compare two totally different cars, but I've had a lot of tires on c900s and the XR over the years, and I think I can be fairly objective. ;) If the Hankooks were a fair amount cheaper they'd be a slam dunk - helluva value - but at the same price I don't think they compete very well.

I would agree, with a $120 savings on the table along with SoCal, I'd give the Indys a shot.

Of course, anything is better than shitty overpriced Supercars.

novicius
December 30th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Hijack: For me, the Firestones are special since many/most of Ye Olde Mustangs including Parnelli Jones' Boss 302s wore Firestones (true for both OEM and road/drag racing).

I like this story by Bob "Turk" Tarozzi, chassis engineer of Chrysler's 1970 Trans Am effort: (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/70-dodge-plymouth-trans-season-crazy-insider-story/)

The final race: Riverside California. Dan was back in car No. 48 and Swede in old faithful No. 42. We’re doing battle with the mighty FoMoCo Mustang, and as usual we’re a little behind. All season long Swede had felt that we were at a disadvantage with the Goodyear tires. He felt that the Firestones were just better and was one of the factors that put the Fords ahead of us. I can’t remember who suggested it first, but the subject of trying the Firestones on the Plymouth came up in our conversations.

I asked, “Are you sure, Swede?”

He said he was.

That’s all I needed to hear; I was off and running on a new mission (biting the hand that was feeding me—again). I called over to Bobby Box, my main crew chief and accomplisher of all things devious, and had him ease on over to the Firestone tent and mount up a set of tires. Swede had previously arranged this clandestine operation with the Firestone guys. Now, mind you, this is not some midnight operation. This is in the middle of qualifying in front of God and everybody.

As we are mounting the tires on the car, the Goodyear rep comes over to me and goes ballistic. Many expletives were exchanged; he says I can’t, especially here.

I say I can, and I am, and he storms off.

Cut to the chase; the car goes approximately one-half second quicker on the Firestones. And that was without any suspension changes or adjustments. Swede and I put our heads together and decide on educated guesses as to the necessary changes to be made, and I cast the order to the crew. In retrospect, we should have consulted with Dan G, but what the hell, we just wanted to win and were blind as to any nebulous concept of chain of command.

Showdown in the desert. The next morning proved to be a different story. Swede approached me in the garage and said that we had been summoned to a meeting in the race truck with Dan. Not a good way to start the day. Dan talked primarily to Swede and essentially stated that even though Swede did not have a specific contract with Goodyear, if he wanted to have a future with AAR, and specifically in Indy Cars, he would not run the Firestone tires. Not a command, just a “suggestion.” I don’t believe I was spoken to at any time during the discussion. I now know that my fate had already been decided.

We returned the car to its previous setup with the Goodyears, no easy job on the morning of the race, and ran the race as best we could. The race was won by Parnelli Jones in the Mustang. We finished Fourth and Fifth, Swede and Dan. We did a decent job considering the traumatic events that developed during the race. But nobody, and I mean nobody, was going to best Jones. He drove like a man possessed and was a joy to watch. My hat off to you, PJ.
Maybe Joe likes the Goodyears because of the historically shitty performance and corporate connection with the Challengers? ;)

thesameguy
December 30th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Well, if it's a tradition of shitty performance, then that's hard to argue with. I don't want to get in the way of tradition.

Yw-slayer
December 30th, 2016, 07:02 AM
PILOT SUPERSPORTS/PILOT SPORT 4s AND/OR high-end POTENZAS and/or high-end P-ZEROS 4 LYUIFE!!!!!!!11!1!!!!!!!

Or something.

thesameguy
December 30th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure a q-ship like a street-driven Challenger would really benefit from such sticky rubber, but I like where your head's at.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IxEJL-DiyUo/TIC8teiK3yI/AAAAAAAAAXI/hvdkEufx6wo/s1600/0.jpg

dodint
December 30th, 2016, 08:02 AM
I have those BFGs . . . [t]otally happy with them. Not the best tire in the world, but zero to actually complain about. I would definitely buy them again.

Same. Except I'll add that they're basically useless in snow. ;)

thesameguy
December 30th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Being a summer tire that seems to go without saying!

dodint
December 30th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Wisconsin dumped a weird late spring 7" of snow on me and I figured I wasn't changing my tires back for one day of commuting. I survived, was kind of fun. Wouldn't do it regularly though.

KillerB
January 1st, 2017, 12:19 AM
Am I remembering wrong or don't you have a plane? Or do you have a share in one with a flying club?

I had a share in a flying club back in PA. For obvious reasons I sold it when I moved to CA. :)

KillerB
January 1st, 2017, 12:20 AM
As for the Goodyears, they're fairly sticky and they're quiet. Noisy tires annoy the shit out of me.

neanderthal
January 1st, 2017, 08:36 AM
Why stay on Goodyears?

This.

I'm NOT a big fan of Goodyears. Or Dunlops. For normal everyday driving I still think Michelins are a far superior product.

Though paradoxically, I love the Dunlops on my bike.

dodint
January 1st, 2017, 09:49 AM
I had a share in a flying club back in PA. For obvious reasons I sold it when I moved to CA. :)

Ah, got it. My 10 year plan has a plane in it somewhere towards the end.

Kchrpm
January 3rd, 2017, 06:18 AM
If you guys keep talking bad about Goodyear, I'm going to have to agree with you! :mad:

That being said, the next tires on my Mazda will likely be from Goodyear, because of reasons and 0% interest.

dodint
January 3rd, 2017, 06:33 AM
I ended up with Falken's out of nowhere, supposedly it's a very good all season tire.

Godson
January 3rd, 2017, 08:05 AM
I've got falkens on my truck. They are kinda noisey, but that's expected with the tread design.

thesameguy
January 3rd, 2017, 10:25 AM
If you guys keep talking bad about Goodyear, I'm going to have to agree with you! :mad:

That being said, the next tires on my Mazda will likely be from Goodyear, because of reasons and 0% interest.

(You can get 0% on any DT/AT/DTD purchase with their CarCareOne card)

Kchrpm
January 3rd, 2017, 12:17 PM
:up:

I wonder if they are the leading national retailer that Tire Discounters is always referring to in their commercials.

thesameguy
January 3rd, 2017, 02:00 PM
I don't know who Tire Discounters is, but DT/AT/DTD is one of the few nationwide tire chains left so I wouldn't rule it out.

Also worth mentioning is that if you have that card and if you time your purchase correctly, DTD will double the manufacturer rebate. There are times when that combo is worth $300 or so, plus the zero interest blah blah blah.

I try not to get merchant accounts, but it's a killer deal. I keep thinking I'm gonna do it. Maybe when the Saab needs new tires.... I'm sure they'll be pricey.

Random
January 3rd, 2017, 02:08 PM
"Leading national retailer" isn't TireRack?

thesameguy
January 3rd, 2017, 02:47 PM
I don't think TR is a retailer - they'd be catalog or internet sales. I think a retailer is typically a brick & mortar. Could be Pep Boys or Big O or maybe even Walmart, but I don't know how national those places are. The Discount Tire empire is quite large these days.

Kchrpm
January 4th, 2017, 06:11 AM
The commercials specifically reference it as a competitive brick & mortar establishment, with allusions to how they differ on installation pricing.

Random
January 4th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Ah, ok. :)

thesameguy
January 4th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I am sure I will post up whatever the mid-year DTD sale is, as I'm sure the Aero will need tires by then. :up:

novicius
January 4th, 2017, 10:11 AM
As for the Goodyears, they're fairly sticky and they're quiet. Noisy tires annoy the shit out of me.

Data shows the BFGs are quieter, cheaper and better-performing.

KillerB
January 4th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I thought you were talking about the Indy 500s? What reviews I can find on the Firestones are largely positive, but several mention noise.

Additionally, the treadwear rating and classification of the tire indicate less grip, which is something I do NOT want. If anything, I'll look at the other tires with similar treadwear ratings to the Goodyears I have been using.

Kchrpm
January 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM
The 2012 Continentals are on special/closeout for $112 each: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=20&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Challenger&autoModClar=RT

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=190

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer, 245/40R18 97Y)
What We Liked: Impressive wet traction and comfortable road manners
What We'd Improve: More precise steering response and handling
Conclusion: A great choice for anyone wanting solid overall capability
-----------------------------
The ExtremeContact DW paid a dividend in the ride and comfort side of everyday driving, having a clear advantage in overall ride and noise characteristics.

novicius
January 4th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I thought you were talking about the Indy 500s? What reviews I can find on the Firestones are largely positive, but several mention noise.

Additionally, the treadwear rating and classification of the tire indicate less grip, which is something I do NOT want. If anything, I'll look at the other tires with similar treadwear ratings to the Goodyears I have been using.

Nah, I was talking about the BFG's for you.

The Indy 500's are the dirt-ass tires for shmoes like me. ;)

thesameguy
January 4th, 2017, 11:31 AM
The DW is a good tire - it gives a little up to some of the other choices in grip & crispness, but does offer quiet and excellent wet performance.

KB: You can't look at treadwear as an indicator of anything useful. It's a relative number, assigned by the manufacturer under controlled circumstances and not evaluated by anybody. It's little more than a marketing tool for Big O et al to use. You can't infer grip, performance, or even wear from the number beyond *real* basics - especially across brands because, again, the number is relative to the specific manufacturer.

With most tires crammed into that 300-500 range, there are too many variables and too many inconsistencies to know how things will unfold real-world. It's a little like the big engine vs. little engine fuel economy debate - sometimes a more capable but less stressed component offers superior results. Also, with all the science going into tire compounds the intersection of performance and wear gets pushed out every single year. What we get out of a cheap-ass all-season in '16 is leaps and bounds better than performance tires of not that long ago. Unless you are comparing two brand new tires made with the same technology it might as well be apples and oranges.

As a shitty but dear to my heart example, the Fiero obliterated a pair of 360TW HTRZs in about 4,000 miles. Same car, same driver, no changes 340TW Sport Comp-2s now have 4,000 miles and are about 30% worn - and are a *clearly* superior tire. Similarly, my friend's wife's '07 9-3 murdered a set of 480TW GS03s in 14,000 miles; the replacement 340TW RE760s just crested 10,000 miles and are about 50-60% worn.

I'd look at the customer feedback, tirerack's reviews, etc, but treadwear is about the last thing I'd consider. It's just not useful beyond a snapshot approximation of reality.

Kchrpm
January 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM
If all else fails, just go for the ones with the sweetest tread pattern. Figure out how to get a set of Eagle F1 GS-D3s to fit. Ignore the price!

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-gs-d3?cta=BBCardTireName

https://www.goodyear.com/images/tireImages/goodyear/primaryImage/Eagle_F1_GS_D3_56.jpg

KillerB
January 4th, 2017, 12:55 PM
The Goodyears are in the 220 range. I want something comparable - in the "Max Performance" category rather than the next lower performance category. If I can't use the treadwear rating, I'd like to know how to find something in a comparable performance range to the Goodyears.

The 2012 Continentals are listed as Out of Stock for my ZIP (90242).

Looks like my options in the Max Performance category (since I can't use treadwear apparently) are the Pirelli, Goodyear, Continental (in stock at $159 but not $112, must be a different year), Michelin, Kumho, and Hankook. The Michelins are about $260 a piece so they're right out. The spread in price on the rest are $25 per tire or less.

I guess I'll dig through to try to find reviews in my size. The Continental tests the best in TR's tests, but that might be the old version.

KillerB
January 4th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Data shows the BFGs are quieter, cheaper and better-performing.

You can't compare tires in different categories with Tire Rack's data. The numbers they provide are against other tires in the same performance category. The BFGs are in a different category than the Goodyears.

thesameguy
January 4th, 2017, 01:59 PM
The Goodyears are in the 220 range. I want something comparable - in the "Max Performance" category rather than the next lower performance category. If I can't use the treadwear rating, I'd like to know how to find something in a comparable performance range to the Goodyears.

TR lists

ExtremeContact DW
Firehawk Indy 500*
Ecsta PS91
S.Drive*
Sport Comp-2*
V12 Evo2
PZero
Eagle F1 Supercar
PSS

The asterisks are Ultra vs. Max (TR's classification, otherwise meaningless) so maybe slightly lower performance. Maybe. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any difference in the BFGs, Yokohamas, or Firestones on the street in a 4000lb car. If you're pushing anything that hard on public roads, peoples' lives are legitimately in danger. Drawing a line between first in ultra and last in max is silly.

But, if you're taking the hard line and have money to spend, the PSS is the easy button, with the PZero as backup. It's not even a question.

You can't compare tires in different categories with Tire Rack's data. The numbers they provide are against other tires in the same performance category. The BFGs are in a different category than the Goodyears.

I don't think that's accurate. It might be intended, but the ratings are customer ratings in a vacuum, Tire Rack only presents them in context with similarly-classed tires. You can't really anticipate what people were thinking or comparing against. Tirerack does publish objective comparisons, but those aren't the big charts like Novi posted. Tirerack's comparisons look like:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=217

The way you find tires is reading reviews, experience, and leaps of faith. To that end, I'd recommend this:

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/tested-bf-goodrich-g-force-sport-comp2-tires/

Random
January 4th, 2017, 02:18 PM
The DW was our "monsoon conditions" tire for Nationals, FWIW*. Never rained that much during our group, so it ended up just being the transit tire from Davis to Lincoln and back. No complaints in that role.

*for wet conditions with not too much standing water, our full-tread RE71s would have been fine.

Godson
January 4th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Comparative. I love hankook, but they have historically been fast wearing tires.

I put the v12 Evo2 on the 911, and wheelspin in the wet was non-existent in a straight line. Which again is miles of a difference from the Michelin all-seasons that were on it.

The continental would definitely be in my list if I was in your shoes. That's a damned good tire and I think it would be a good fit for your car.

KillerB
January 4th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Yeah, and then you have to consider that you really can't compare like-for-like with tires unless you're also comparing the size you're planning to use.

...hence, while everyone howled about me buying the Goodyears, I did it last time for precisely this reason - there's really no way for me to know, short of talking to other Challenger owners who have tried several different tires, to know what's better or worse.

I dunno, we'll see. The tires are probably good for a few thousand more miles - we'll see what's left when I do the 60,000 mile service.

Yw-slayer
January 4th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I've changed tyres like-for-like on:

BRZ (17"): Primacy HP (shit) to PSS (awesome but probably slightly too much grip unless it's cold weather)
Legacy (17"): Potenza RE070 (incredible grip, noisy) to PS4 (slightly less grip and lighter steering, but better feedback overall in the dry and wet, car seems to roll less too, reasonably quiet)
320i (18"): P-Zero (crazy grip, heavy steering, minimal roll, noisy) to PS4 (less grip, lighter steering but with better feedback, slightly more roll, reasonably quiet)
S-Max Turbo (17"): Primacy HP (shit) to PS3 (much better, car feels around 20% faster overall, maybe very slightly (5%?) noisier but who cares and that could be the engine enjoying itself)

My mother and sister like the PS4s more than the old tyres. On balance, I'm quite happy with them as the steering feedback is better. I personally wanted PS4s or PSSes on the S-Max but they don't make them in that size. When I change the BRZ's tyres I'll probably go for the PS4 or 5 or whatever it is then, since the point of the car is not to have M4X GR1P Y0 but rather M4D DR1FF7700 Y0.

As you can see, there are at least some consistencies across tyres, even with different drivetrains/sizes. Overall I think Michelins seem to have slightly less ultimate grip than most tyres, but they provide a slightly more tactile and enjoyable drive when you're pressing on.

neanderthal
January 4th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Being a tire seller I concur.

Michelin doesn't make the highest performing tire in any category. What they do try to focus on in EVERY tire category are
* long life
* quiet smooth ride
* wet weather traction
* fuel efficiency.

Things that most consumers are interested in. Russ, Bryan, other autocrossers and racers will have their favourites based on performance. But for total quality for the average Joe, it's hard to beat Michelin.
Especially after the tires are worn more than 50%, when tires start getting loud and rough and lose wet weather traction.

CudaMan
January 4th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Michelin make the best racing slicks I've used, fwiw. I just haven't gotten to use them much! And I'm too cheap to buy Michelin street tires for myself. About as expensive as I get is Bridgestone.

thesameguy
January 4th, 2017, 10:36 PM
Pilot Supersports are some of the best street tires you can buy. While I'd generally agree that Michelin makes solid, but not outstanding tires, their high end stuff is notable IMHO.

Like Cuda, I'm just not that rich. ;)

novicius
January 5th, 2017, 03:49 AM
...which is why I didn't include any Michelins in my comparo. ;)

The BFGs set a high bar. The money only makes them that much sweeter. :up:

novicius
January 5th, 2017, 04:56 AM
When I change the BRZ's tyres I'll probably go for the PS4 or 5 or whatever it is then, since the point of the car is not to have M4X GR1P Y0 but rather M4D DR1FF7700 Y0.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S? Isn't that gonna be way more grip than the BRZ was designed for?

If I owned an 86 Twin, I'd keep it on the stock Prius hockey puck tires all day. :D

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Yes, but you make horrible, horrible vehicle related decisions. That'd be like me saying what kind of woman I'd ask out.

novicius
January 5th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Cheap > Performance :finger:

Godson
January 5th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Smiles per mile always.

...Sometimes that comes at a high cost.

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 09:09 AM
...which is why I didn't include any Michelins in my comparo. ;)

The BFGs set a high bar. The money only makes them that much sweeter. :up:

Word.

IMHO they are a notch off from the Star Specs, which is (was?) just such a great tire (+for the money) it was hard to believe. The BFGs aren't *quite* as good, but it's a damn narrow margin.

Random
January 5th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Cheap > Performance :finger:

Are we talking tires, or Keith's dates?

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I'm glad someone else enjoyed that double usage. It especially works for Godson's post.

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 10:01 AM
IMLE, cheap=performance... it's the expensive ones that don't try to oversell. :shrug:

novicius
January 5th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Truth! :lol: Years later I'm still pissed at myself at how I was unable to close the deal after some expensive dates. :angry:

(The ladies in question absolutely did not owe me anything, just mad at myself for not planning out cheaper evenings with my Beta Bucks!)

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Appropo, I had this exact conversation with my boss (a 50-something year old mother of two) last night. :lol:

And, BTDT.

novicius
January 5th, 2017, 10:49 AM
:lol: :up:

Shit's getting weird. :| #manhug #coff

...so, how 'bout them tires? :lol:

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Yes, let's get back to which rubbers are best.

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Whichever ones fit is clearly too simple an answer. I know that much.

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 11:57 AM
But what about wear? And comfort? Noise?!

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Before we proceed, wear on what?

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Wear on the rubber. You don't want them giving up under hard use, that's when you need them most!

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Well, I think then you have the typical conundrum - a deep tread and long life but noisy, or a slick with short life and pretty quiet. Comfort is pretty subjective - probably depends on how aggressive you are and, to a large degree, what you're used to.

Godson
January 5th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I. Just. Can't

FaultyMario
January 5th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Joe likes it quiet.

that's why he stays national and forgoes European.

thesameguy
January 5th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

(I'm fuckin')

Yw-slayer
January 6th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S? Isn't that gonna be way more grip than the BRZ was designed for?

If I owned an 86 Twin, I'd keep it on the stock Prius hockey puck tires all day. :D

Nope. I can still wag the tail reasonably easily. It'd around roundabouts that it becomes harder to drift. Not that I'd know. ;)

Oh wait, sorry. I see there is a new 4S model. I meant the normal Pilot Sport 4.

I'm also not concerned about tyre wear as after nearly 5 years of ownership the car hasn't even done 14000km. That's why I go ALL-IN on the rubber.

Also good to hear from Mo on this topic, as to which see also http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport-VS-Continental-Sport-Contact-6.htm

Kchrpm
January 6th, 2017, 08:06 AM
You've had it for 5 years? Man, time flies...

neanderthal
January 6th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Nope. I can still wag the tail reasonably easily. It'd around roundabouts that it becomes harder to drift. Not that I'd know. ;)

Oh wait, sorry. I see there is a new 4S model. I meant the normal Pilot Sport 4.

I'm also not concerned about tyre wear as after nearly 5 years of ownership the car hasn't even done 14000km. That's why I go ALL-IN on the rubber.

Also good to hear from Mo on this topic, as to which see also http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport-VS-Continental-Sport-Contact-6.htm

Cheers. I'm no expert, but it helps to go to the demos and be given all the materials and have experts to talk to.

My take is that Michelin sweats the small details. Kinda like the dude says in the video. Anyone can make a tire with headline grabbing numbers, but making a tire with excellent grip, long life, good feedback, good wet traction, good braking, fuel efficiency, etc etc etc is another ball game, and its one that I think Michelin is still winning.

For outright grip and performance (road, track, or off road) there are better tires. For Joe Consumer (pun not intended Joe) the Michelin is generally gonna be the best choice, outside of the value equation.

TheBenior
January 6th, 2017, 08:24 PM
For outright grip and performance (road, track, or off road) there are better tires. For Joe Consumer (pun not intended Joe) the Michelin is generally gonna be the best choice, outside of the value equation.
That's generally what I tell people when they ask about tires, and I refuse to pay for them myself. Any noise savings are kind of wasted on my muffler less Mazdaspeed3 anyway.

KillerB
February 6th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Ended up going with the Continentals - there was just no way I was going to spend another $100 a tire for the Michelins. They're fine.

When I was at SevenStock last fall, I struck up a conversation with Dan Atkins of Atkins Rotary. He mentioned that they were getting into the general Mazda parts business and were buying up inventories of NOS Mazda parts. At the time, they had just purchased four shipping containers full, and that much of what they had was for the B-series trucks.

Now that they've gotten around to listing parts, I picked up a good number of replacement parts:

- Dome light/rear view mirror assembly (which was supposedly the last NOS one left in the US)
- Rear dome light
- Stereo housing
- Door jamb switches
- Radio condensor (the thing that keeps the ignition from making noise in the stereo)
- Shift knob

I've got most of it in except the condensor (I need to figure out where it lives and I can't find my shop manual at the moment) and the stereo housing, which is waiting for me to order a new stereo. 25 years of the California sun had completely destroyed the rear view mirror and dome lights.

Now I just need a new trim panel for the center dash (the sunglass pocket was cut out to put in those shitty gauges) and a new driver's seat cover, and the interior will be mostly as good as new.

thesameguy
February 6th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Unless your stereo is from 1985, you probably don't need the condenser. That's from a time before synthesized/digital tuners and were, well, the only option. ;)

KillerB
February 6th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Well SOMETHING is making the ignition make noise in my current radio!

thesameguy
February 6th, 2017, 07:37 PM
In your FM radio? Like a crackling or a whining?

KillerB
February 6th, 2017, 08:39 PM
It's a whine that I hear. I only ever listen to satellite radio, so I'll have to check to see it if I get it listening to FM or a CD.

Godson
February 6th, 2017, 09:33 PM
Ground loop isolator.

thesameguy
February 7th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that's not ignition noise that's a ground loop & your alternator. Check your power & grounds. The condenser is only there to prevent noise in terrestrial radio reception on old analog tuners.

KillerB
February 14th, 2017, 11:02 AM
...and of course the noise vanished on its own. :lol:

The Challenger is now paid off.

Kchrpm
February 14th, 2017, 11:03 AM
The Challenger is now paid off.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Just in time for a Demon?

novicius
February 14th, 2017, 11:06 AM
:lol:

Just in time for some fresh bushings for the rear subframe. :D :up: #nohop

KillerB
February 14th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Just in time to start pay off some debt incurred by getting married, followed by saving up to buy something old (probably a rotary Mazda).

KillerB
February 18th, 2017, 04:37 PM
After several hours using an X-Acto saw and a Dremel on that infernal Metra kit, the stereo is in. Looks pretty good in that NOS stereo housing, if I do say so myself.

Of course, I forgot to take pictures of all the other small improvements. :lol:

KillerB
February 24th, 2017, 10:10 PM
A bit of good news - I think the old stereo's issues with cutting in and out had something to do with the ignition whine as well as some intermittent hesitation in the way it ran. I know it sounds bizarre, but I haven't had either issue since replacing the head unit.

KillerB
June 13th, 2017, 07:34 PM
No updates on the cars, but the garage itself has been improved. Nothing fancy but the new house has me back to a two car garage and another two spots in the driveway.

Still more likely to pick up a Westfalia, either a bay window or a Vanangon, than another car right now.

novicius
June 14th, 2017, 04:26 AM
:cool: :up:

KillerB
April 9th, 2022, 03:46 PM
Still no changes to our fleet, though I don't recall if I ever mentioned my wife's car before; it's a 1999 Dodge Durango SXT 5.2L she bought new not long after she got her first job out of nursing school, as an OR nurse. It's the only car she's ever owned. I'll admit that I judge people a bit based on how they care for their car - especially out here where the lack of corrosion means you basically can repair a car and keep it running indefinitely. Then there's the fact that California cares SO DAMN MUCH that you get your car smogged every two years, with the slightest changes under the hood causing you to fail the visual inspection, regardless of what's actually coming out of your tailpipe, but they can't be bothered to implement a safety inspection program. I never saw so many cars with burned out exterior lights and tires worn through to the cords until I moved here. So when I saw the car she drove, I wasn't bothered that it was old, but the first thing I looked at was whether her tires not worn through to the cords. Not only were they fresh tires but they were a real, name brand tire, and they all matched. The paint was in beautiful shape, too, and it still is. It has 256,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and actually drives great for what it is. :)

We considered getting one of the new Jeep Grand Wagoneers for her - she likes her SUVs to be truckish, and we also wanted a highly competent tow vehicle for a future trailer purchase. But the car market is just stupid right now, and we found we had to step up to the Series II JGW to get the really nice interior - basically we were looking at six figures, and just didn't want to spend that much on a car. We know we run the risk of inflation and higher interest rates pushing vehicles we like out of our comfort zone in terms of cost, but that kind of money buys a lot of plane tickets, hotel rooms, and "glamping" at music festivals to avoid having to mess with all the setup of tent camping. So we figure, with the market the way it is, even if her engine or transmission in the Durango needed a rebuild, we'd be better off doing that than trying to buy a car right now.

Plus, we just don't drive much anymore. I know this will increase a bit as we get back into the swing of taking more trips, going to events, and seeing friends; but they've already designated our office space to be repurposed to move some offices out of one of our hospital campuses. We are going to be 100% remote for the foreseeable future. I'm having to send service records from the past few years to make the insurance company believe how few miles we've been driving. Each of our cars has gotten less than 3,000 miles a year since 2020 began - in the case of my B2600i, it's gotten less than 3,000 miles TOTAL since 2020 began. I thought about replacing my Challenger with a new one, but I just can't justify it to myself considering how little I'd be getting to use it. It doesn't help that they don't offer a manual transmission on the Hellcat at the moment, and I doubt they'll be bringing it back when the car is probably only going to be in production for another 18 months or so. Don't bother telling me the 8 speed Torqueflite is faster - I DON'T CARE! :)

My parents, who we moved out to CA and into the second floor of our house, still have their first-gen Scion xB - at 98,000 miles it's just broken in - and their 2013 Chrysler Town & Country, still just under 30,000 miles.

That was a lot of words to say nothing's new, other than coming close to buying a JGW and then balking at buying a $100,000 car. I can tell you though, those JGWs are *nice* inside and very comfortable and quiet - all you really hear is the 6.4L Hemi when accelerating.

FaultyMario
April 9th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Does the transmission/color/MY make the 4664 a rare specimen?

Kchrpm
April 9th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Now I have to figure out what a Grand Wagoneer is and why it would be a 6 figure Jeep.

Godson
April 9th, 2022, 04:24 PM
My honest recommendation. 2008-2010 cayenne.

They market hasn't really affected them at all.

I'm so serious about this, I will probably be selling my F150 platinum to replace it with a Cayenne Turbo at a lower price than my truck is currently worth.

neanderthal
April 9th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Still no changes to our fleet, though I don't recall if I ever mentioned my wife's car before; it's a 1999 Dodge Durango SXT 5.2L she bought new not long after she got her first job out of nursing school, as an OR nurse. It's the only car she's ever owned. I'll admit that I judge people a bit based on how they care for their car - especially out here where the lack of corrosion means you basically can repair a car and keep it running indefinitely. Then there's the fact that California cares SO DAMN MUCH that you get your car smogged every two years, with the slightest changes under the hood causing you to fail the visual inspection, regardless of what's actually coming out of your tailpipe, but they can't be bothered to implement a safety inspection program. I never saw so many cars with burned out exterior lights and tires worn through to the cords until I moved here. So when I saw the car she drove, I wasn't bothered that it was old, but the first thing I looked at was whether her tires not worn through to the cords. Not only were they fresh tires but they were a real, name brand tire, and they all matched. The paint was in beautiful shape, too, and it still is. It has 256,000 miles on the original engine and transmission, and actually drives great for what it is. :)

We considered getting one of the new Jeep Grand Wagoneers for her - she likes her SUVs to be truckish, and we also wanted a highly competent tow vehicle for a future trailer purchase. But the car market is just stupid right now, and we found we had to step up to the Series II JGW to get the really nice interior - basically we were looking at six figures, and just didn't want to spend that much on a car. We know we run the risk of inflation and higher interest rates pushing vehicles we like out of our comfort zone in terms of cost, but that kind of money buys a lot of plane tickets, hotel rooms, and "glamping" at music festivals to avoid having to mess with all the setup of tent camping. So we figure, with the market the way it is, even if her engine or transmission in the Durango needed a rebuild, we'd be better off doing that than trying to buy a car right now.

Plus, we just don't drive much anymore. I know this will increase a bit as we get back into the swing of taking more trips, going to events, and seeing friends; but they've already designated our office space to be repurposed to move some offices out of one of our hospital campuses. We are going to be 100% remote for the foreseeable future. I'm having to send service records from the past few years to make the insurance company believe how few miles we've been driving. Each of our cars has gotten less than 3,000 miles a year since 2020 began - in the case of my B2600i, it's gotten less than 3,000 miles TOTAL since 2020 began. I thought about replacing my Challenger with a new one, but I just can't justify it to myself considering how little I'd be getting to use it. It doesn't help that they don't offer a manual transmission on the Hellcat at the moment, and I doubt they'll be bringing it back when the car is probably only going to be in production for another 18 months or so. Don't bother telling me the 8 speed Torqueflite is faster - I DON'T CARE! :)

My parents, who we moved out to CA and into the second floor of our house, still have their first-gen Scion xB - at 98,000 miles it's just broken in - and their 2013 Chrysler Town & Country, still just under 30,000 miles.

That was a lot of words to say nothing's new, other than coming close to buying a JGW and then balking at buying a $100,000 car. I can tell you though, those JGWs are *nice* inside and very comfortable and quiet - all you really hear is the 6.4L Hemi when accelerating.

Did you look at the non grand Wagoneer? (Think Tahoe to Escalade or Expedition to Navigator.) They're selling 2: 1 over the GW.

CudaMan
April 11th, 2022, 10:27 AM
Props to your wife Joe! No props to CA for their nonsensical smog/safety inspection priorities. :)

And a $100k tow vehicle, wow that is wild! Although I have no specific suggestions I was also going to bring up the idea of a not-very-old used vehicle that would still have plenty of room in the budget for a grand or two of bringing it up to date with maintenance, repairs, reconditioning. Maybe something $30-50k range? I hear good things about the X5 diesel too.

Leon
April 11th, 2022, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't you then want something to tow the X5 when it does something dumb?

dodint
April 12th, 2022, 05:50 AM
I paid $5k for my E350SD. Still towing strong. ;)