PDA

View Full Version : Tools.

Pages : 1 [2]

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Is this a tool? $7 Microfiber car wash mitts.

https://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-Chenille-Microfiber-Premium-Scratch-Free/dp/B002J7KCOG/

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81PZ8lKsANL._SL1500_.jpg

thesameguy
January 26th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I dunno. I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC-493-Microfiber-Scratch-Free/dp/B003TTL0TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485464436&sr=8-1&keywords=chemical+guys+mitt

:lol:

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Do you have a bra made of similar material for the lady?

thesameguy
January 26th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I'm struggling with the phraseology, but the basic answer is yes.

I think it might here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBhSx5S8CN0

but I can't watch it at the office to verify at the moment. :P

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Those don't look quite like soft and absorbent microfiber, but I'll allow it.

thesameguy
January 26th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I can't review the videos, but I will try to find the right one later. It's literally made out of chenille and used in a cleaning fashion.

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I didn't watch the whole video, also work, but if you give me time stamps later I will certainly watch.

thesameguy
January 26th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Work is dumb.

novicius
February 7th, 2017, 06:01 AM
$150 in randomly compiled Amazon gift cards allows me to order this JEGS low-profile aluminum floor-jack (https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Professional-Low-Profile/dp/B007VREENY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1486479532&sr=1-2&keywords=jegs+floor+jack) for $45 out-of-pocket, shipped. :hard:

I need a low-profile jack in order to deal with the supa-slammed springs I'm installing on the Bananstang, y0. :cool:

thesameguy
February 7th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I have the Harbor Freight version of that jack, which I added to the toolbox last summer. :up:

I love that feeling of incentives working together to get (almost) free stuff. :D

novicius
February 15th, 2017, 08:02 AM
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2810/32844202325_ff7e90aa4e_c.jpg" width="450" height="800" alt="20170211_121737

Should fit even after it's lowered. ;)

21Kid
February 15th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Nice wheel gap...

thesameguy
February 15th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Helps get the coke out of the wheel well.

novicius
February 15th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Nice wheel gap...
YOUR MOTHER HAS WHEEL GAP!! :angry:

(:lol:)

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2017, 03:00 PM
After years of putting it off (I don't need it...) I finally picked up an air distribution system for the garage -

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/features/20923.jpg

The air compressor is at the back of the garage, but I usually work outside so I have this 50' long 1/2" (IIRC) hose I use. It's pretty unwieldy, and it's ten years old now and feeling a little weak towards the end. I'd prefer it not explode in my face. I should have just bought another $50 hose from Harbor Freight, but I spent the $150 at Amazon to give me an outlet at the end of the garage and - I'm hoping - one inside the workshop as well. That would be incredibly convenient! I also keep thinking about the possibility of having two air tools hooked up at the same time. Not having to swap around would be a big bonus under a car - doing that it clumsy and annoying. I did the 3/4" primarily to maximize flow & pressure, as someday I'd like to at least try paint

Now I have to figure out the best way to get into the workshop. I had this whole Rube Goldberg plan in my head, but now I'm thinking I'm just going to put a piece of pipe through the wall and put a quick disconnect on it. That's pretty darned straightforward. :lol: Something to work on this weekend!

Speaking of Rube Goldberg and air, something I'd also like to do is rig up some way to connect electricity and air to the Cadillac when it's parked. It only takes a day or two for air to leak out of the system, and then the thing is sitting literally on the ground. I don't think that's good for the front suspension, so right now I park over a 6x6 and the front frame rails settle on it, keeping it as just below stock height. It works well, but a system that would keep the tank pressurized and run the controller for a bit to keep the air bags inflated would be rad. Definitely something to think about.

novicius
March 3rd, 2017, 03:57 AM
The Caddy is bagged?! :twitch:

Random
March 3rd, 2017, 05:54 AM
Duh!

novicius
March 3rd, 2017, 06:08 AM
That's awesome -- I never knew. :cool: :up:

thesameguy
March 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
It is awesome! :D

I really want to update the system - when I had it installed time was short so it's a bare minimum install. I'd like to add "return to center" switches so that I can have degree of auto-leveling. I think those would be essential for my vision of a self-maintaining system anyway. Maybe a speed controller too - when the tank is full it's tough to zero in on a given pressure. Fortunately these systems are all very simple and modular, easy to add components. Maybe I can do that next winter... this year is already looking project-packed. ;)

novicius
March 3rd, 2017, 09:58 AM
That is siiick. :up: :up:

TheBenior
March 6th, 2017, 12:47 AM
After 4-5 years of service, my aluminum 1.5 ton Harbor Freight jack started leaking today while I was rotating the CX-5's tires. That jack worked fine for my Mazdaspeed3, but the max height was barely tall enough for my CX-5 with it's extra 3.7" of ground clearance. I also realized that I only had one set of jack stands. For some reason, I thought that I had 2 sets.

I thought about getting the 3-ton jack (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-Ton-Daytona-Professional-Steel-Floor-Jack-Super-Duty-63183.html) that Snap-On is trying to sue Harbor Freight over (https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/law/court-deals-blow-to-snap-on-case-against-harbor-freight/), but instead I cheaped out and got the 3-ton low profile steel jack (http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62326.html).

I also deliberated between the 26" and 30" US General tool carts for my garage at $150 and $180, respectively, measuring places I might put it.

Then I saw that the 26" currently has a coupon making it $100, so I went with that one. :lol:

novicius
March 6th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Damn that thing must weigh a ton! Mine is the aluminum version of that build and it's heavy enough as it is.

Kchrpm
March 6th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Have you SEEN Ross? He's like a 7/8th sized Vin Diesel.

Cam
March 6th, 2017, 05:59 AM
It seems I will be moving into a house very soon with a gigantic garage. I am an artist and woodworker, not a mechanic, ergo:

Already own
electric chain saw
cordless drill

Immediate need
wood lathe
jointer
mitre/chop saw
jig saw
hand-held belt sander
bench grinder (for sharpening lathe tools)

Future
band saw
planer
gas-powered chain saw
large belt or disc sander or combo unit
air compressor
power drill
angle grinder
dremmel

Of course, I plan to build work benches or whatever I need.

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I'd need a whole extra shop for this stuff... something I'd love to have! So far I've been able to do what I need to with very little tooling, but I often think how much easier the job would be or how much better the result with better tools.

Don't forget a router table! :D

Cam
March 6th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Yes, a router! I can get away without a table though. :)

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I have been using a Dremel for most of that stuff - with the right attachments it can do a some stuff that you'd normally do with a router and a band saw. Some serious, hard limits, but for small stuff it's okay. Some day I will shift some storage from the workshop to the garage and make room for some more wood working tools. On that note, something else for your list: When you implement your air system, work on a dust collection system too. Woodworking in an enclosed space without dust collection sucks. I end up mostly working outside, and dragging all the tools out and then putting them away again sucks. :(

The weather was much nicer this weekend than it was supposed to be, so I got to work on my air lines. I did everything I was able to do - next steps involve parts I don't have yet and moving the Cadillac out of the garage... it's so dusty I did not want to put it out side just in case any rain came down. The Maxline stuff is pretty easy to work with - it's thin-wall aluminum sandwiched with plastic - it can be mostly shaped by hand, though getting it perfectly straight (it ships in a coil) is difficult and time consuming. I could have built or bought a straightener, but it was money that didn't need to spent on something I want only for a few hours of use. By hand is good enough for me. I have a bit of a dilemma - I have three outlets (one on each side of the garage, plus one in the workshop) but I am going to install a fourth that I will leave the hose connected to all the time, the one that will see the most use.

I was originally thinking about placing this outlet in the rafters, and then hanging a hose reel out of the way. I spent a bunch of time reading reviews on reels and just didn't get a warm fuzzy about any of the affordable options. If I want to spend $300 on something industrial I'm set, but the sub-$100 hobbyist grade stuff all seems lacking - people complain about durability and reel performance (either retracting too eagerly or not eagerly enough or not at all) and I just don't want to be frustrated. I have been using the same Harbor Freight air hose for *ten years* and it's just finally starting to break down. I've never found it inconvenient to coil it up when I'm done with it. For the $30 or $40 a decent hose costs versus the $100 a decent reel costs, I'm just not sure I want to spend the extra. The hose isn't so much the problem, but the outlet placement is. I only get one shot on that!

http://sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/garage/airhosedilemma.jpg

I had originally planned on placing it at #1, up high, with a reel mounted adjacent on the rafters. I'm now thinking about placing it at #2, down low, and just keeping the hose where it's always been - coiled on the floor - or maybe hanging it from the ceiling with a hook.

Hmmm... The other detail here is that it's a superior option to connect the hose directly to the outlet rather than with an air-restricting quick-disconnect, so there are some logistical considerations involved here as well. Not sure which is the better approach.

(Glad I wrote this, as I've been shopping 50' hose reels which is insane - my current hose is 50' which gets me out of the garage plus 20' ... relocating the hose to the end of the garage means I only need a 25' hose to do the same thing. Derp.)

Cam
March 6th, 2017, 10:31 AM
I hate having stuff on the floor. I would put it up high, but that's just me.

Of course I am considering a dust removal system. I have a woodworking friend (retired art prof) I plan on consulting for the whole deal. :D

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 10:54 AM
My first thought was the same - up is better - I just can't find an up solution I really like. At least, not enough to buy. :)

Let me know what you come up with on a dust collection system. Now that I have air in the workshop, I'm going to be a lot more likely to work in there. Something worse than saw dust is metal particles! So far, I have done some janky things with a shop vac that I'm not proud of.

Random
March 6th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Shop vac seems reasonable, assuming it's being hooked up to the dust port on whatever tool you are using.

Might get some ideas here: https://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Yeah, the shop vac works okay, it's just clumsy to have to position it near where I'm working and it's quite loud. I'm sure there is a better solution, but I'm definitely not hurting. ;) Well, except when I use a miter saw to cut aluminum. Dust collection on the saw is clearly not optimized for metal. :D

Random
March 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Oh, I thought you had it hooked up to the dust collection port already. That's the way to go, and there are adapters to make it happen.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/using-a-shop-vacuum-for-dust-collection/view-all

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm using - it just doesn't work *at all* with heavy debris like aluminum :)

Random
March 6th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Ah. I think the trick with Al is to use a shit load of cutting fluid so that it gloms together and you can shovel it up. :D

Cam
March 6th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Many bench-top tools are made to accept a shop vac hose. Yeah, shop vacs are loud, but you should hear the dust collection system in USC's shop. :lol: I wore hearing protection in there.

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Cutting fluid does help an enormous amount - especially on finer pieces.

The advantage of a real dust collector is that I could install it in the garage and just pipe it into the shop (like with the compressor) so at least I'd have a wall between me and the noise. ;) You know, for not much money or trouble I could probably take apart the shop vac and just use it that way. :lol: Ah, so many things I could do!

TheBenior
March 6th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Damn that thing must weigh a ton! Mine is the aluminum version of that build and it's heavy enough as it is.

The Snap-On angering Daytona jack is 104 lbs, the one I bought is 71.7 lbs, which is more than double the 31 lbs of my dying 1.5 ton aluminum jack, but only 17 lbs more than the 3 ton aluminum jack. The Daytona would probably be worth it if I had a body on frame 4WD vehicle instead of a CUV, since it has a 4" higher max lift height.

My father's garage is full of woodworking tools with a dust collector he added years after he probably should've done it. He plumbed in a natural gas heater and a window A/C unit so he can work in the dead of winter and the miserably humid days of summer. He used to make music and jewelry boxes and toy trains that he'd sell at shows back when he was a projectionist and would have 3-4 days off straight to do woodwork. Now that he does 6 on, 2 off at the current County Hospital Police gig, his output has slowed (along with the effects of age). I think most of the work he's done the past few years was the framing for his house windows that he had general contractor gradually replace while work was slow for them. He knew he could do a better job than them, and certainly saved money on a finish carpenter. He's planning on retiring in less than a year, and will have plenty of time to do woodworking then. That, and handgun class instruction on the side. He's gotten some instructor certifications in the last couple years.

thesameguy
March 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
30' hose reel = $60-$75
50' hose reel = $70-$80

Nuts!

dodint
March 6th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Mine is the aluminum version...

Aluminum is so good.

thesameguy
March 7th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Decided to go with an overhead reel - the cost savings vs. straight hose was almost negligible, the positive reviews of this reel far outweigh the negative. I figure worst case I just take it out of the reel and put on the floor anyway. :D

Hopefully it's dry enough over the weekend to move the Cadillac out and finish the install!

novicius
March 8th, 2017, 04:58 AM
The Snap-On angering Daytona jack is 104 lbs, the one I bought is 71.7 lbs, which is more than double the 31 lbs of my dying 1.5 ton aluminum jack, but only 17 lbs more than the 3 ton aluminum jack.
My 2-ton aluminum jack is 49 lbs so yeah, 71.7 pounds is a lot to me. :)

thesameguy
March 8th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Makin' progress -

http://sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/garage/garageairhose.jpg

You might be like, "How come you bolted a 4x4 to the rafters and then hung the reel from that?"

I would tell you that my garage was probably assembled by children using Fisher-Price tools, and although it's been standing for 60 years I don't have a great deal of faith in the quality of materials or design. The pair of 2x12s (!!!) that make up the rafters are super iffy, and the idea of putting 5/16" lag bolts into the 2" side made me nervous. A trio of beefy hex bolts through the 12" side gives superior engagement and won't compromise what little structure there already is. Plus, it gave me an extra 3" or so of height so I don't bash my head on the thing. :D I need to secure the lead-in hose and make some sort of hanger for the outlet, but it's in a good position and, with no air in it, seems to work quite well. I now have enough hose to air up tires pretty much anywhere in the driveway. :up:

Installing the reel this way - direct-connected to the air lines without a quick-disconnect should improve (or, rather, not reduce) air flow, which is always desirable. However, I realized after I installed it that instead of using a 3/4" union the smart thing to do would have been to put in a shut-off valve instead - that way the reel can be disconnected without depressurizing the whole system and give an easy way to depressurize the hose... some reviews suggest it's difficult to retract while pressurized. Also, doing it this way saved me a $25 outlet - so I am going to mount that at the back of the garage and make accommodations for a second filter & regulator (& dryer?) so that - maybe some day - I have an easy place to connect up a HVLP paint gun. I really just need to buy some shitty car I don't care about and try and paint it. Just to see what happens. :lol:

Rain appears to be off for the weekend, so I should be able to wrap this up! The back wall is going to be a real PITA - three dimensions worth of bends with some pretty tight lengths. Good news is that placing that outlet at the back means it's only three dimensions and about 15' of hose instead of four dimensions and 50', so this is all win. :D

Cam
March 8th, 2017, 10:58 AM
:up:

Cam
March 8th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I didn't know where to put this. Today, I helped a buddy install aftermarket headlights on his GTI. He's a scientist, a farmer and a really nice guy!

novicius
March 8th, 2017, 11:25 AM
LoL what?! The entire front end has to come off for new headlights?? :lol:

Cam
March 8th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Yes. There is one screw that you have to remove the bumper to get at it. :|

In my car, you have to remove the battery just to change the left-front headlight bulb.

21Kid
March 8th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Same with my Saabaru... which happens once every 6 months or so. :( I can't wait to get LED headlights that don't need replacing.

Cam, are you looking for new tools, or are you going to look around for used ones? I imagine filling a woodshop full of tools would cost a bit of coin up front.

Cam
March 8th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I've been stalking the tools section on Craigslist. Big items will be difficult to find used. Some items I will buy new. Yes, we are looking at a large investment to build a shop.

Random
March 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I've been stalking the tools section on Craigslist. Big items will be difficult to find used. Some items I will buy new. Yes, we are looking at a large investment to build a shop.

Look for estate sales, too.

21Kid
March 8th, 2017, 12:20 PM
I wonder if any underfunded schools will be clearing out their wood shops? :(

Cam
March 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Ironically, USC has two lathes that are going unused at the moment. I was recently chatting with my old art dept. colleagues and they told me something to the effect of, "The lathe has been sitting unused since you left." The other one has been hidden away in a crate in the corner for almost two years now. :thppt:

thesameguy
March 8th, 2017, 12:39 PM

You can also look at the various liquidator sites - not a great way to buy a screwdriver, but for bigger things like bandsaws you can sometimes get pretty good deals. I found a bunch of good deals on tubing benders that way. :)

Kchrpm
March 9th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Ironically, USC has two lathes that are going unused at the moment. I was recently chatting with my old art dept. colleagues and they told me something to the effect of, "The lathe has been sitting unused since you left." The other one has been hidden away in a crate in the corner for almost two years now. :thppt:

Part time volunteer shop tech that is paid only in tool access? My dad "works" at a golf course in his retirement, and gets to play for free whenever he wants.

Cam
March 9th, 2017, 05:03 AM
I was a paid shop tech when I was a student. You are required to be a student to have that job. You are also required to be an art student or faculty to use the shop.

21Kid
March 9th, 2017, 05:55 AM

Make an offer. :D

Cam
March 9th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I am very sure that the lathes at school are not for sale.

TheBenior
March 10th, 2017, 01:21 AM
After my initial order with Harbor Freight got cancelled when Discover fraud protection flagged it even though it was getting shipped to the billing address (my house), I placed another order and added a couple breaker bars to it.

Got a shipping notice, and my jack and jack stands should show up via FedEx today, and the rest should ship via local freight next week. I'll probably be sleeping when the jack shows up, so it'll have to sit outside until I wake up. My wife has to wrangle 2 babies during the week, and her lift game is weak anyway.

novicius
March 10th, 2017, 04:26 AM
Ain't nobody stealing that jack. :lol: #jk

21Kid
March 14th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Carrying babies all day is a good arm workout!

Sad, little man
March 14th, 2017, 07:12 PM
God dammit every time I see this thread in the list I feel compelled to post this here and so now I am...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGjQ2Vqtbc

thesameguy
March 28th, 2017, 06:30 PM
While in SoCal this weekend I reclaimed an innova 3100 from the house that cleanliness forgot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVWDAK/ref=twister_B01MR835I8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it several years ago to pull some random code from I think the PT Cruiser, and then left it down there in case anyone in the vicinity ever needed it. It was tucked in a corner and forgotten about, and after the "We sure could have used you last weekend when I had to pay a mechanic to pull a code on the minivan" story and subsequent personal frustration I decided to bring it back up here.

I don't need it, and I'm going to CL it this weekend, but then I thought maybe someone here might want a discount on a solid OBDII reader. Shipped to you for $60.

GB
March 28th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Already have that exact one. :up:

thesameguy
March 29th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Retrospectively I should have bought a cheap one, but I thought something with some capability would be useful in the future. It was never used again, which I just can't wrap my head around.

Kchrpm
March 30th, 2017, 08:37 AM
http://www.thedrive.com/news/8487/harbor-freight-tools-settles-class-action-lawsuit-over-sale-prices

"Discount" tools emporium Harbor Freight has settled a class action lawsuit over misleading sale prices, and depending on how often you shopped there between April 2011 and December 2016 you could be in line for up to 10 percent back on your total purchases during that time, reports Yahoo Finance.

thesameguy
March 30th, 2017, 10:39 AM
http://www.thedrive.com/news/8487/harbor-freight-tools-settles-class-action-lawsuit-over-sale-prices

Fuckin Jeff Beck!

I can definitely produce itemized receipts - sadly my Harbor Freight purchases dropped off precipitously after 2010 as by then I think I owned everything. ;)

thesameguy
April 4th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Just a quick note to proclaim to the world how much I hate navigating the apparently random seas of automotive sealers. What a royal PITA.

speedpimp
April 4th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Any of you guys have a reco on a low profile, aluminum floor jack that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

novicius
April 4th, 2017, 12:19 PM
$150 in randomly compiled Amazon gift cards allows me to order this JEGS low-profile aluminum floor-jack (https://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Professional-Low-Profile/dp/B007VREENY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1486479532&sr=1-2&keywords=jegs+floor+jack) for $45 out-of-pocket, shipped. :hard:

I need a low-profile jack in order to deal with the supa-slammed springs I'm installing on the Bananstang, y0. :cool:
I've been enjoying the JEGS lo-file jack that I picked up two months ago. It's 40-something pounds. :up:

TheBenior
April 4th, 2017, 02:40 PM
The aluminum Harbor Freight Pittsburgh brand 1.5 ton jack is $80 at the moment.

http://m.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62160.html

thesameguy
April 4th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I've been enjoying the JEGS lo-file jack that I picked up two months ago. It's 40-something pounds. :up:

Is the same as the HF 2-ton. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-Ton-Aluminum-Racing-Floor-Jack-with-Rapid-Pump-62247.html

Unless you're blessed with Amazon gift cards, might as well get the HF, especially if you use the difference to pony up for the super-ultra-luxe warranty.

I'd personally recommend getting the heavier-duty 2 or 2.5 ton... the 1.5 ton is super convenient, but the 14" lift height can be a drag. Losing a 1/4" off the minimum height is a fair exchange IMHO for gaining 2-4" on the max. But, there is a $50 premium for doing it. ;)

TheBenior
April 4th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I forgot to add that the frame on the HF 1.5 ton doesn't hold up well long term to uneven, shitty pavement.

I was fine with the lift height until I got my CX-5, but I am pretty lean.

thesameguy
April 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Hmmm... that is good to know. I bought one of them down in SoCal to do the oil change & belly pan replacement on the Mercedes. I was tired of lugging my 2.5 ton down there! It was on sale for $60, figured my back was worth it. Barely.

speedpimp
April 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I like the HF 1.5 ton. Only thing I'll use it for is changing tires.
Thanks guys.

thesameguy
April 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM
If you haven't done it yet, I noticed the 1.5 ton jack is back on sale for $60 right now -

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-Aluminum-Racing-Floor-Jack-with-Rapid-Pump-60569.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzU5OTIxMDciLCJza3Ui OiI2MDU2OSIsImlzIjoiNTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0A IjoiOTgzMyJ9%0D%0A

Use coupon 75992107

They will give you that price in store if you provide the coupon number.

dodint
April 17th, 2017, 10:03 AM
My Dad is downsizing from his large house to a 1200sqft place. He's ready to retire. Which also means he's ready to get rid of the garage tools he inherited from my grandpa who owned a service station in the 70s/80s. Got some nice industrial strength jack stands, a 'no logic' battery charger/booster that will bring a completely dead/frozen battery back to life, and a heavy duty lever chain hoist that will save my ass in some way eventually.

Anyway, he also has a bunch of welding gear that I immediately passed on. I figure that it should go to someone that will use it and I'm unlikely to teach myself that skill in the next 5 years. It looks to be in good enough shape and he claims folks have offered him cash for it in the past but he held onto it for sentimental reasons. I have no idea what kind of welder it is since I was so dismissive up front.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should swing back down there and pick it up anyway. I mean, what better way to learn the skill with free tools? And if I really don't ever actually do anything with it I could just sell it off.

Any reasonably guess as to if something that old would be both safe and productive if it's in good working order? It's been sitting indoors in my Dad's garage, the hoses hanging on the wall, since 1994 or so. Not sure when my grand-dads place actually shut down. I have no idea what kind (type, or brand) it is. Probably nothing fancy, whatever would be in a rural service station in 1978.

novicius
April 17th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Ooof, this is a TSG question at best. :lol:

Replace the hoses, I'm assuming there's no tanks? It's probably best used like your father uses it: as a garage adornment. ;)

thesameguy
April 17th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Welding hasn't changed much over time - the tools are easier and cheaper these days but the core tech hasn't evolved all that much. From forums I've read most accomplished welders are still using tools they bought a long, long time ago. I think what it is would influence whether it's useful or not, but like you said you can always play around and learn. Not sure what would be in place at a '70s service station, maybe oxy or stick? Neither are what I would use on cars, but still totally viable for learning or other projects.

dodint
May 8th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Welding hasn't changed much over time...

So that was spot on.

It's a Lincoln Electric AC225S Arc Welder which, much to my surprise, is still made today: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-AC225S-Arc-Welder-K1170/100041326

The face is stylistically different but it's the same exact model number.

No idea why the vertical images rotate.

I'm going to do some research and see if I want to bring this home.

thesameguy
May 8th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Not sure what would be in place at a '70s service station, maybe oxy or stick?.

YUP.

Stick is really messy, but a totally viable process. For small pieces where cleanup won't be a big deal or hidden things where messy isn't an eyesore (like exhaust) stick is totally fine. And, really, for free it wouldn't be bad to have around for whatever comes up.

dodint
May 8th, 2017, 05:59 PM
:up:

Cam
May 24th, 2017, 10:04 PM
24 inch wrecking bar. :hard:

FaultyMario
July 17th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Not wanting to start a new thread for a quick question.

Here it goes, I need the passenger side motor mount for the Accord is this (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3459498&cc=1425394&jsn=431)it?

thesameguy
July 17th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Not wanting to start a new thread for a quick question.

Here it goes, I need the passenger side motor mount for the Accord is this (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3459498&cc=1425394&jsn=431)it?

Sure seems like it... front right.

Godson
July 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
I'm probable going to be buying a welder this winter.

Tell me what you know about MIG. I'll be welding up to 1/4 in steel.

thesameguy
July 19th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I know NOTHING, but I am planning to execute early fall. I have enlisted a friend who has welding experience but no equipment to help me make motor mounts for the Saab-swapped XR4Ti. Maybe the cage too when I get there.

Current is directly related to capability - more juice, thicker metal (and vice versa). My metric has been 1/4" as well, since that seems like the go-to for motor mounts. The 170/180a machines are stretched at that thickness - you need thicker wire and probably some "extra" prep (beveling, preheating etc.) or multiple passes - but it's doable. 200a+ is what you want to breeze right through 1/4". I'm not sold on Lincoln, but they are good machines and commonly available so I've generally been referencing them for financial planning. The 180-series (180 amp) is available in 240v and 120v for around a grand and is *probably* what I'd get, but I keep thinking about going for the 210 series, partially for the extra amperage but also because they are multi-process and can do TIG. It's another $300-$500, but maybe better than having to buy two machines. I'm just not sure. Also, the 210 series will dial down to 20a, vs. 30a on the 180 series which could be useful for sheet metal work. Everything I've read is that 30a is too much for thin metal... I'm thinking panel repairs and even putting bungs on intercooler tubes. ;) My welding guy says he has some crazy-thin wire that helps, but lower output is really ideal.

The only brands I've been considering are Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart (Miller makes Hobart, it's their budget brand). Spec for spec Harbor Freight welders are about half the price, but I read so much about them being inconsistent and I don't want to start out not knowing whether it's me or the machine. Welders last a lifetime, so I'm inclined to spend a bunch of cash once and have it forever. And, a good name brand machine will carry higher resale value if I want out, or need something else.

Worth mentioning is that I realize this is all over the top. I'm buying like this is something I'm going to do all the time and get really good at. It may be I'd be better served with a $400 HF thing that doesn't make super pretty welds and is kind of a pain that I only use once and forget about it... But I am hoping I can do things I've always wanted to across many years, so I'm searching accordingly. $1000-$1500 is a lot of money for a tool, unlike a $50 specialty tool I might use once and don't care, I'm taking this purchase super seriously. I want to have a good experience and I think/expect I'm paying extra up front to avoid frustration.

Also worth mentioning, is that I'm increasingly convinced that getting a welder will quickly lead to buying a metal bandsaw or something similar. Making shit with a die grinder sucks and my friend who used to have access at work to a CNC no longer does.

Kchrpm
July 19th, 2017, 11:26 AM
True or false, tsg:

Consumer 3D printers that can reliably create metal fabrications are going to be BIG for you.

thesameguy
July 19th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I guess it depends, given the caveats. One of the problems with printing plastic is additive processes yield final products less sturdy than molding processes, and there are some limits to complexity which are confounding. If metal printing suffers similar limitations, then it'll be neat just like plastic printing, but not big. There is also the time & skill consideration - I don't have an education in 3D modeling and it is difficult for me to convert reality to digital and back to reality. Operating in physical space and fitting & refining comes more naturally and I'm faster at it. I know I'll get better over time, but sometimes it's just faster for me to get a piece of ABS and use a knife & drill rather than model something and print it. Regardless, it'll be interesting when we get it, that's for sure!

Godson
July 20th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I'm in a similar position.

Today at work, I had one lady who wanted to look at everything before she wanted to assemble the parts.

I'm a doer, I need to handle and hold the parts to figure out where everything goes.

dodint
July 25th, 2017, 06:56 AM
I absolutely *love* when I buy a tool to do a thing and it does it perfectly.

Bought one of these seal pullers to get the seals out of the Mustang rear axle:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31T9%2B3aoUvL.jpg

I could've gotten by with a claw hammer or a crow bar, but having the seals pop right out without any fuss was worth the $14.

FaultyMario
August 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Sure seems like it... front right.

Can anyone give me a hand with this...

Internet says Beck Arnley or OE for suspension parts, the rest are Anchor or rebadged crap.
Rockauto says BECK ARNLEY 1041811 fits my 2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Auto, Amazon says it doesn't. I'm pretty set in buying Beck Arnley, how do I know if it's the correct part?

Here's Beck's page. (http://www.beckcatalog.com/Application.aspx?year=2004&make=HONDA&model=ACCORD&cat=Engine&subcat=Engine%20Mounts&brand=Beck/Arnley&engbase=2.4L%20L4%202354cc&back=true) There's 2 options, which one is it?

It's shipping to SoCal and then flying to Mexico. It's not like I can check fit and return if necessary.

As to why the hassle, because one third the price.

thesameguy
August 7th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Is it a manual or an automatc? Can you pick out the ones you need from here?

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2003-honda-accord-4dr_ex-ka-5mt/engine-mounts-l4.html

(this is the diagram for a manual...)

FaultyMario
August 8th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Thanks TSG!

thesameguy
August 8th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Word! Sites with parts diagrams are the best. ;)

George
August 18th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I need a push over the cliff, I think.

My father gave me his table saw a few years ago. At the time we were building a workbench in the garage and a couple other projects around the house, so it was handy, and he wanted it out of his garage because it was taking up too much room.

Well, guess what's on my mind lately? Yup.

I haven't used it in probably three years, and maybe more. I need to get rid of it, don't I?

thesameguy
August 18th, 2017, 02:40 PM
A table saw? I would keep it. Tools that don't really age out are worth having I think. As a normal person I wouldn't expect to use it very often, but when you need one...

Cam
August 18th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I build stuff out of wood and I don't have a table saw. You can get along just fine without one, especially if you rarely use a saw.

Admittedly, I wish I had one, but I would use it regularly.

Godson
August 18th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Ime, table saws are one of the most valuable wood working tools you can have.

George
August 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM
Well, you guys are no help! :lol:

Yeah, I should keep it, but I keep looking at all the space it takes up and thinking I'd like to have that corner of the garage open and not perpetually filled by something I only use every few years.

Solution: build something!

Maybe I could post YouTube videos of garage woodworking projects...

thesameguy
August 21st, 2017, 09:19 AM
If it was keeping you from something else, specifically, I'd weigh the two against each other, but including a table saw in a random purge.... I couldn't get there. They largely don't wear out and are expensive to replace. When the zocalypse happens and you need to board up the windows, you'll be happy you have it.

Freude am Fahren
August 22nd, 2017, 10:32 PM
I have a serious problem. I can never just buy a tool I need, I have to buy every similar tool, just in case, you know, one day.

Example, today, I need a few metric impact sockets, one metric crows foot, and wanted to pick up a couple of those ratcheting wrenches. Ended up with the 55 piece impact socket set, like 20 wrenches, both SAE & Metric, and a whole set of metric crows foots (feet?). :lol: :(

The wrenches were kinda a no brainer since the big mixed set was only like 25% more than the small 7 piece metric set.

I have so many SAE tools that just NEVER get used.

thesameguy
August 23rd, 2017, 07:54 AM
Donate them or CL them? Weld them into art?

Freude am Fahren
August 23rd, 2017, 08:32 AM
Maybe I'll make a throne.

thesameguy
August 23rd, 2017, 08:47 AM
That would be amazing. You should make a "cover" for the toilet.

dodint
August 23rd, 2017, 09:05 AM
I've started organizing my tools and cycling out duplicates. I have my main tool chest, and then a mobile set that I take to the track. Then another box full of extras. I wish I knew a kid or something that was into mechanical stuff and I'd make a set of him or her like my Dad did for me. But kids don't do stuff like that any more, right? ;)

CudaMan
August 23rd, 2017, 09:14 PM
New tool for Nationals: Ridgid JobMax 18V oscillating multi-tool. Bought a flat blade for it to cut through OPR faster. I borrowed a paddock-mate's JobMax at Spring Nationals and it was so much better than other methods I've tried. Fast and easy.

It's also the same setup people can use to groove their own tires. Gotta be careful with it. :)

Godson
August 24th, 2017, 05:05 AM
I have SAE stuff just in case my metric doesn't work.

Kchrpm
August 24th, 2017, 05:29 AM
For anyone else wondering what OPR means: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=OPR

Other People's Rubber. A term autocrossers use to describe tire rubber that has worn off racing tires, usually building up in piles off the proper racing line. A hindrance to tire grip, OPR can be dragged on course by competitors during their course walks causing Porsches Caymans to be reduced to stock Miata speeds.

AKA marbles.

dodint
August 24th, 2017, 06:10 AM
"Clag!" - Hobbes

CudaMan
August 24th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Some of it could also be seam sealer between concrete blocks. Gets hot and gummy in the midwestern heat, angry tires pick it up, grip is reduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGrtY9vRYI

thesameguy
August 25th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I think I'm going to get my weld on next month... down to three machines:

Hobart 210MVP - https://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler210/

Lincoln 210MP - http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K3963-1(LincolnElectric)

Miller Multimatic 215 - https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/multiprocess/multimatic-215-multiprocess-welder-m30090

Functionally these are all similar - 240v MIG/TIG/stick machines. The Hobart is cheap because it's all old-school analog settings, the Lincoln and Miller are much fancier with digital, auto-setting controls. The Miller is the fanciest, in that it's simultaneously a MIG and TIG welder, whereas the Hobart and Lincoln both require actual reconfiguration (valves, wires, etc.) to switch modes. I like convenience, but since this device probably won't get used that much I'm not sure occasionally reconfiguration is really a crisis. Still, I'm leaning towards the Miller as incrementally it's not that much more expensive.

Eh - dark horse - Rebel 215ic - http://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=9504&tab=1

Materially similar to the Miller I think, with a little higher amp rating and maybe even fancier controls. Similar pricing.

Cam
August 30th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Lori just bought me one of these. It was on sale, 20% off.

It's still at the store. I have to arrange with a friend with a pick-up truck to get it. Then, I need to install a new electrical system in the garage to accommodate it. :lol:

thesameguy
August 30th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Dude.

George
August 30th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Dude's just gonna put fancier legs on his racing-striped workbench is all.

*scoff*

(wondering when Cammie will start taking orders for custom electric guitar bodies and necks)

Freude am Fahren
August 30th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Bought one of the greatest tools for modern cars today:

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16183.jpg
Push Pin Pliers

:)

thesameguy
August 30th, 2017, 08:43 PM
What, you can't bend a fork like the rest of us???

Godson
August 31st, 2017, 06:42 PM
Flat head screw driver

dodint
October 6th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Anyone have a particular air compressor they really like? Thinking about getting one for the garage this winter. I used to have a small relatively portable one but it was pretty useless. Not looking for that, just something I can put in the corner of my garage and run impact guns, impact hammers, etc. I don't know much about them in terms of how they're rated or what kind of maintenance they need (something something oil). I never needed one because I've always had access to a garage with a lift and air system, or I use my Dad's at his place.

thesameguy
October 6th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Compressors come in oiled and oil-less, but the latter only in smaller sizes. They come in 120v and 240v - the former only in smaller sizes. They are rated in pressure and volume (scfm) and the two are related, but not always listed in a useful fashion so one will be 5scfm@60psi and another will be 8scfm@90psi, giving you no idea how the two actually compare. Compressors also have air storage rated in gallons - the more storage the longer you can run a tool without needing to run the motor. Most automotive tools run at 90psi and need a fair amount of volume. I'd look at tools you want to run for specs, then work backwards. Remember there will be an amorphous area of pressure vs. volume vs. storage - if you have a compressor that is 90psi @ 1 scfm but you have a 100 gallon tank you run a tool that needs 5scfm for a little while, from the tank, but once you've depleted storage the compressor would not be able to keep up with the tool.

My first compressor was from Harbor Freight. It lasted about six years I think before the motor died. I was thrilled with that performance. It was 120v with a smaller compressor and a small tank. I could run an impact wrench and a die grinder, but it couldn't keep up with things like shears or nibblers. IIRC it was $150 after the 20%. Would have been something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html

I was happy when it died because it gave me a reason to get something much bigger. I bought a giant (for home use) mofo from Lowes. About $500 after the 10% coupon they used to have. Something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-Gallon-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/3370356

I have yet to find a tool it won't run.

240v could be a bummer for you, but if you can get 240v it's what I'd do. Sucks running out of air.

Maintenance is pretty much limited to water drainage and oil changes. For my use (which is probably "a lot" for home use) it's an annual affair. Probably wouldn't want to stretch that much beyond a year no matter what. Takes about 10 minutes and costs about $15.

Remember to budget for a good air hose and some good quick disconnect fittings.

dodint
October 6th, 2017, 09:06 AM
*bookmarked* Thanks!

In the little reading I did today almost everyone said the same thing, look at the tools you want to use and buy slightly bigger. Most everything I want to do is burst-like, though the idea of using an air sander sounds pretty great and also seems like something that could empty a tank pretty fast.

Ignoring the 'bonus' tools here, I liked this in the little bit of browsing I did today: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-gallon-air-compressor-with-impact-wrench/p-00916471000P

It seems the market takes a jump from ~$300 to ~$600 without a lot in between.

thesameguy
October 6th, 2017, 10:38 AM
I think that Craftsman is materially similar to the HF one I had spec-wise. It got me through a lot, no doubt. I would seriously weigh the HF+service contract vs. more reliable name brand scenario.

There is definitely a jump between $300 and $600, which is basically how I got from a $150 undersized HF to a $500 oversized Kobalt. I was trying to spend $400 on a right-size compressor and failed. :lol:

On the subject of HF, one thing I have definitely noticed is that I will tend to buy cheap-ass HF air tools on a whim. Something I need to do that HF has a $30 air tool to help and I'll just go for it. It's fantastic. Yeah, I have a bunch of tools I don't use often, but $30 vs. beating my head against a problem isn't even a decision.

One thing I forgot to mention is duty cycle: All these things have a duty cycle, and it's always surprisingly low. What that means is that if you have an X cfm tool and an X cfm compressor, it seems like you can run the tool off the compressor directly (vs the tank) forever. You can't. Most will have something like a 20% duty cycle, which means for every two minutes of running the compressor you need an 8 minute break. I am sure my HF compressor would have lasted longer, but *plenty* of times I was running a 60 or 80% duty cycle. In fact, IIRC, it died after a prolonged run. Never started again.

Oh, snap, you may want to check db output. My HF compressor was LOUD. Couldn't be in the same room with it. I had it in the corner of the workshop so I could close the doors and use it in the garage. The Kobalt isn't quiet, but it's quieter. It's in the garage because that's where the 240v was, and I can stand to be in there while it's running. It's "not so bad."

dodint
October 6th, 2017, 10:44 AM
The guy that owned the house before me was both a dick (all the neighbors have thanked up for buying them out) and a mechanic that ran a business from the garage. Considering how great we are for the neighborhood I'm not too worried about noise level, at least from a pollution aspect. Our garage is fairly large, I plan to put it in back and use a 30ft hose through a coiler. The wife will be unimpressed while watching TV since the living room is right above where the compressor will be, but hey, I'll move it if she wants to pay the mortgage.

Amazon had a bunch of off-brand (well, to me) stuff. Like a California Air Tools rig that claimed to be super quiet.

thesameguy
October 10th, 2017, 03:15 PM
This was not all that cheap, but I thought worth calling attention to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDEEICA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has "picks" (aka "terminal release tools") specifically designed for most recent automotive electrical connectors. There is enough variation in the picks that there's a good chance it'll worth with most any multi-terminal connector ever made. The quality is not good - the handles are Harbor Freight quality and the picks themselves are not hardened steel like you'd find with "production" tools, but even at $100, it's cheap. I was looking at a $32 TE Junior Power Timer pick and a $34 TE Standard Power Timer pick plus a pair of $15ea Delphi tools. That's $100 to do four specific connectors, and this is $106 and does - near as I can tell - all of them.

I received it today and tested out three of the four tools I specifically needed (the two TE picks and one of the Delphi ones) and they worked. "Hilariously" the actual picks for one of the TE tools were installed 45 degrees off, so I needed to modify it, but after doing so it worked. I guess this is one of those moments where cheap metal is better than hardened steel... if I'd tried to straighten a genuine tool, it would have shattered. :) I say that authoritatively, as that's why I needed the two Delphi tools... I shattered mine. :) Even still, the tolerances aren't all that great - like Harbor Freight, everything is 90% right. It would be maddening if you worked on this connectors all day, but as a hobbyist with a now-and-then need, it's an obstacle worth enduring. I'd certainly not spend $600 on the "real" versions of all these tools.

If you're going to be messing around with automotive connectors for whatever reason - maybe hybridizing something or swapping a fuel injection system, this is a reasonable approach.

dodint
October 10th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I just cut the OEM connectors off and make my own with molex connectors.

Well, not now that Radioshack is mostly dead.

thesameguy
October 10th, 2017, 07:34 PM
You can order them from Mouser or Digikey, but Molex connectors aren't weatherproof. Okay for inside, but not so good for outside. They also have limited power handling, so you have to be careful they don't become a fire hazard.

dodint
October 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I was kidding, the ones we sold at RS were huge, for server power supplies and stuff. Used a pair in a pinch to wire up an upgraded mirror on a Dodge Intrepid once, but that was the extent of it.

thesameguy
October 10th, 2017, 07:41 PM
LOL... there is nothing wrong with Molex connectors. I still use them for a lot of stuff, but not anything outside the cabin.

But, being able to repair a single wire in a multi-connector is a huge time & cost savings.

thesameguy
October 23rd, 2017, 06:31 PM
Man.

https://www.harborfreight.com/OmniPro-220-Multiprocess-Welder-with-120240-Volt-Input-63621.html

It's basically the equivalent of all the welders I am looking at but 50-60% the price. I wasn't planning on short-changing myself, but a one-year return policy? Could get a lot of practice with a guaranteed out.

thesameguy
October 24th, 2017, 12:23 PM
This thread is epic:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?704651-New-quot-Vulcan-quot-welder-line

but I read the whole thing. An intense amount of bickering, name-calling, and flat-out inane speculation but it finishes nicely with a few people who clearly know what they're doing using the machines.

I think I'm sold. Worst case I get one year to mess around with the machine and see how it (and I) do. And, not to be shady, but if I manage my two projects I could just be done and get the money back anyway. :|

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2017, 03:41 PM
I did it.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/vulcan_welder.jpg

Now, I

a) Need to get the accessories, like a welding mask, gloves, gas, etc. But, I didn't want to miss $70 savings (it'll probably be a while before it's discounted again) and the year return policy. Especially the latter.
b) Need to learn how to use it. I'd really like to take a class at the local CC, but I'm shit with schedules and work is always chaos. I may need to read some stuff, watch some videos, and maybe pay a friend of a friend for some instruction

However, my short term need is getting a slide hammer. The front left (I think) wheel bearing on the XR started making noise and it seems to be getting worse, fast. There are old school bearings, not modern sealed ones. Removing the race requires a slide hammer puller, and I don't own one. Harbor Freight's is about $55 after discount, OTC's about $90, and other brands littered between $80 and $120. I'm leaning towards cheap... I can't imagine the next time I'll need one.

dodint
November 2nd, 2017, 04:06 PM
Nice! Looking forward to stories about stuff being stuck to other stuff.

CudaMan
December 18th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Vacuum/pressure test kits.

This looks like just the ticket (https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MITMV8500-Silverline-Automotive-Vacuum/dp/B0002SQYUA), but it gets a lot of bad reviews for breaking in various ways. I haven't found anything similar that will last. Looks like there a lot of vacuum kits but few can be switched to positive pressure like this Mityvac can.

Hmm.

Godson
December 18th, 2017, 04:58 PM
That should do the trick for chasing not leaks

CudaMan
December 18th, 2017, 05:33 PM
:erm:

Godson
December 19th, 2017, 03:36 AM
*boost

I was a bit tired from being on call yesterday. Thought I proofread it, obviously I hadn't done a good job of it.

CudaMan
December 19th, 2017, 09:36 AM
No worries.

It does seem like the right multipurpose tool, the problem is it seems to be cheaply made and only last a few uses for several people. My searching so far hasn't turned up a higher quality tool that does the same things.

speedpimp
December 25th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Finally going to take the plunge and get a torque wrench and breaker bar. HOORAY for Harbor Freight and all of their coupons.

dodint
December 25th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Collected enough gift cards from Sears to get my air compressor, they even had $15 of free Sears Cash. Also earned $53 in more Sears Cash for the purchase so I will swing back and buy my impact gun soon.

George
October 8th, 2018, 12:47 PM
HOORAY for Harbor Freight and all of their coupons.

I see those coupons every Sunday in the newspaper but the only Harbor Freight store I knew of (until yesterday) is way across town.

Yesterday, while driving home, something caught my eye in a local "dead" shopping center. A Mexican restaurant and a divorcee pickup joint with an upstairs open-air drinking deck survive from its glory days, but they lost a Circuit City store a few years back and that was the beginning of the end. A large and busy Babies-R-Us store kept the place busy for a while, but now that's gone and all that remains besides the restaurant and bar is a dollar store next to what used to be a thrift store. You know it's a bad retail area if a thrift store can't stay open. The drop-off area was always busy, but I guess they didn't have enough shoppers.

There was one of those short-term Halloween stores there last year around this time, but lately I thought the bulldozers would appear any day now to turn the place into something else - apartments, perhaps, or one of the many gyms that seem to pop up in larger retail areas with dead and dying stores.

I was surprised to see they have just opened a new Harbor Freight store in what used to be the thrift store, which in turn used to be the Circuit City.

I'll have to drop by and see what all the fuss is about.

JoshInKC
October 8th, 2018, 05:34 PM
The fuss is super cheap, pretty crappy tools with decent warranties. It's a great place to get stuff that you'll use once or very irregularly, but nothing you'll need to rely on heavily. Also for very simple things - a 5-pack of differently sized funnels or wire brushes, &c.

TheBenior
October 8th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Even the super cheap crappy tools thing has started to change in the last couple years. Now they've got some lines that ape the stats and appearances of some name brand tools (Earthquake for impact wrenches, Daytona for floor jacks, Hercules for cordless drills). They cost more than the cheapest offerings HF have, but are still substantially cheaper than the name brands.

dodint
October 9th, 2018, 06:43 AM
The toolbox I take to the track is mostly Pittsburgh Tools that I got from HF and they've held up nicely.

George
October 29th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I've now been to the new Harbor Freight store thrice in the last couple of weeks, including once when I needed a flashlight/portable lantern to change a tire in the dark. Eight bucks got me a pretty neat one with two modes and magnets and a hanging hook to act as a third hand. Batteries were included, too! What is this sorcery? :eek:

This sign was a bit of a head-scratcher, though. If they planned ahead enough to make a sign about this, why call it a parking lot sale at all? :erm:

https://i.postimg.cc/Jh8TYqC3/IMG-5931.jpg

Silly signs aside, I think I have already become a regular customer.

TheBenior
October 29th, 2018, 01:40 PM
How much were they selling the parking lots for?

dodint
October 29th, 2018, 01:46 PM
They were all bought up by an autocross organization.