PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

FaultyMario
April 6th, 2016, 10:34 AM
josh, wanna share your podcast link?

21Kid
April 6th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Which countries do the most good for the world? (http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_anholt_which_country_does_the_most_good_for_ the_world/transcript?language=en)

The answer may surprise you if you live in the US or China!
Really? Are Americans that disillusioned, that we think we do good in the world?

thesameguy
April 6th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Kind of not that simple - the index is per capita per dollar... a country with one person and a $1 GDP who used that $1 for "good" would be #1, despite the fact that $1 doesn't do shit for anyone. OTOH, if you're a country of infinity and have an infinity GDP and you use $1,000,000,000,000 for "good" you would place very low in the index. While it would be great if one person/one dollar country ratios would remain with infinity person/infinity dollar countries, it's unlikely. The costs and waste associated with scale don't scale linearly. One person needs a trail, 100 people need a road, 10,000 people need a highway. One person working at a problem can be very efficient, 1,000 people working at a problem will be universally less efficient. I think Mr. Anholt's study can be inspirational, but I'm not sure if it can aspirational.

JoshInKC
April 6th, 2016, 02:44 PM
josh, wanna share your podcast link?
It's very dumb, but here goes
www.creekoftheweek.com
My co-host and I (both males in our mid-30s) watch and provide live commentary on a randomly selected episode of the hit early 2000's WB teen series Dawson's Creek every week. It gets pretty weird and blue.

Edited to add: We have a small, but growing and dedicated audience that fits into the cross section of DC fans who also like terrible jokes and talk about sweaters.

Drachen596
April 7th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Apparently whatever Insurance my mother has is either intentionally difficult or simply doesn't care about those it insures.

Background info, she has Type 2 Diabetes, got really sick due to a cold of some sort in February. Sister took her to the ER where they admitted her and sent her to ICU. she was in ICU for 4 or 5 days before being moved to a normal room for 2 or 3 and then discharged into my sisters care(basically).

Insurance company denied the claims because she didn't have authorization to go to the ER.
they're saying she should have called her doctor on a Saturday and gotten authorization to go to the ER.

Are you kidding me? She was obviously sick if the ER docs sent her to ICU. Does this apply to people bleeding to death as well? I mean I'm pretty sure gunshot, stabbing and car accident victims don't call their insurance while being taken to the hospital.

overpowered
April 7th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Insurance companies make money by denying coverage. That's why we're so fucked.

Dudley
April 7th, 2016, 11:28 PM
And it's why the US spends more on public healthcare per person than the UK, despite not really having it.

And we'll be there soon enough, the NHS is all but dead thanks to the current government.

21Kid
April 8th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Insurance companies make money by denying coverage. That's why we're so fucked. Exactly.

There are some things that just shouldn't be "for profit".

speedpimp
April 8th, 2016, 01:06 PM
What kind of shit ass fuck worthless ass insurance does she have? That's fucking ridiculous.

Drachen596
April 8th, 2016, 06:48 PM
She has MDWise with one of the ACA versions of the health plans and likely the low level Bronze deductible higher than the cost of a new car one.

I think I may ask HR at work if there's some way to add her to my work plan come next open enrollment.

overpowered
April 8th, 2016, 08:01 PM
Well crap. My Tivo died. Trying to decide what to do about that. Meanwhile, I need to record TV. Pull S-VHS and ED-Beta decks out of the garage. The S-VHS deck clock can only go to 2007. Beta deck goes to 2086. S-VHS deck has IR box control but not for anything modern. Have to tune it all manually.

speedpimp
April 9th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Is she eligible for Medicaid?

Drachen596
April 9th, 2016, 08:13 PM
not sure. supposedly she and my sister are looking into it. i'm going to guess no based on income though.

MR2 Fan
April 10th, 2016, 02:19 PM
For tbe first time in YEARS, I'm in love with someone who loves me back just as much...I'm pretty sure she will be my wife soon :D

Kchrpm
April 10th, 2016, 02:30 PM
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Freude am Fahren
April 12th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Hmm wonder if anyone can help me here. I am trying to fix my aftermarket HID's for my motorcycle. The way the projector attaches to the housing is directly to a big flat piece of metal, which in turn is attached to the housing with three adjusting screws in three corners. Problem I had was they were so badly aimed the plastic tabs stripped out before they were pointed correctly. They were also a bit slanted against the horizon, but that was livable.

So I tried to get some nuts, squeeze them into rubber grommets and the put the grommets into the slots where the old tabs were. It kinda worked but the nuts slip out of the grommets. Also the slots are just a little too wide to stop the nuts from spinning, so they're relying on grip on the grommets. After playing around three of the grommets tore and I gave up.

Does anyone now where you can find some kind of rubber or plastic grommet with metal threads? Or some kind of nut that could grab the metal around it? Or maybe find a way to make the parts I already have work?

The slots are about a half inch wide by 3/4 deep, maybe 1/16 thick, maybe thinner. I'll try to get pics tomorrow since this might be hard to visualize.

overpowered
April 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Who uses HID anymore? LED is cheaper, more durable and more than bright enough for anything short of lighting up a stadium.

thesameguy
April 12th, 2016, 08:20 PM
LED lights are not cheaper by ant stretch of the imagination, and even expensive ones lack the throw of a conventional light.

FaF - can you post a picture? I have a couple ideas for fasteners but am having trouble visualizing the challenge.

Drachen596
April 13th, 2016, 01:56 AM
I've realized just recently how much I bored eat. Nothing I ever consume that way is healthy either.

Anyone else do this?

Kchrpm
April 13th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I used to, then I just stopped having food at my house. Helps immensely.

Freude am Fahren
April 13th, 2016, 06:55 AM
I've realized just recently how much I bored eat. Nothing I ever consume that way is healthy either.

Anyone else do this?

Constantly. And Keith's solution doesn't work for me, since getting out of the house and driving somewhere is part of solving the boredom.

Anyway here is the bracket: You can see my temporary solution in two corners, and an empty slot in one.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1612/26382796376_cee392c73e_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/GcmJcA)

thesameguy
April 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Okay, got it. Is the screw intended to thread into that bracket, or does it go the other way, with the screw head at the bracket going into something else? I assume the former?

Edit: Also, do you happen to know the screw's size? Looks like maybe M6?

Freude am Fahren
April 13th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Yeah the former. The bolt is held in place to the housing, while being allowed to spin by a star lock washer. Spinning it bring those nuts I have in there now closer or further, allowing you to aim the reflector which attached in those four holes in the middle.

Ideally I'd have a rubber square grommet the width of the slots with metal internal threading. I can find no such thing, so I'm trying to build as close as possible. Rubber is ideal to reduce vibration and give some bit of articulation, but not necessary. Metal threads I think are to avoid stripping.

thesameguy
April 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Okay, I am thinking you could used a weld nut depending on clearance and the actual thickness of the plate - this thing is 12.7mm wide, about a 1/2":

http://images2.mcmaster.com/#90955a101/=11ytqdj

Another option would be a t-slot nut:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/#90510a213/=11ytrgs

Use a dab of JB Weld to keep them in place on the bracket.

Another option would be a clip-on nut:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/#95210a175/=11yts30

Possibly use JB Weld to locate, but you may be able to orient them in such a way (likely rotated 90 degrees off the slot) so they all hold each other in place.

If the screw is not metric, or you can replace it with a non-metric equivalent, easy-align clip-on nuts could also work. They may be available in metric, but I've never seen them:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/#90680a145/=11ytsws

My final thought would be to hit up a metal place, get you Dremel, and replicate the bracket. It looks pretty straightforward. Cutting the hole, however, could be expensive - a good hole saw that won't chew up thin stock like that is probably $25 by itself.

thesameguy
April 13th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I have one other less good idea: You'll need two screws for each corner, one of which replaces the original. Get some washers and a nut, and clamp the bracket with the hardware:

Screw Facing this way -> washer -> bracket -> washer -> nut

Get a threaded coupler:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/#90202a441/=11ytvc9

Screw Facing this way -> washer -> bracket -> washer -> nut -> coupler

Then replace your existing screws with the three remaining:

Screw Facing this way -> washer -> bracket -> washer -> nut -> coupler <- Screw facing this way

That's a lot of hardware, though. :D

Freude am Fahren
April 13th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Hmm, a coupler may work in place of a standard nut. If I can get the grommets to not tear, they should grip enough.

I also was thinking glue originally, I forgot to mention that. I placed washers on either end and tried to glue them to the grommet to hold in the nut. In theory it would have worked, but the glue I had was useless (Gorilla Glue).

Bolt thread is M5 .50 if I remember correctly, which is kinda hard to find.

thesameguy
April 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM
FML... my post vaporized!

Man, are you sure the screw is .5? That's an unusual size and makes this a lot harder... M5x.8 is much easier!

speedpimp
April 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM

Anyone else do this?
Kind of. Have cut way back on what I eat during the day while I'm working. Instead of a couple dogs and liter of Diet Dew, it's now a Granny Smith apple and maybe a couple hard boiled eggs and a liter of water.

thesameguy
April 14th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I don't care what anyone says, violent imagery does not desensitize even borderline normal people to real life violence.

speedpimp
April 16th, 2016, 12:04 PM
My niece has four kids. On Monday night the step-grand father of her two youngest passed away. On Wednesday the grandmother of her oldest two died. Fucking crazy.

MR2 Fan
April 16th, 2016, 12:59 PM
You know you're getting old when you watch sports updates and see the son of the player you used to see playing when you were growing up (Tim Hardaway)

Dicknose
April 16th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Ive seen son of player retire... 12 years ago!
Chris Cairns was a NZ cricketer who played 10 years after his dad Lance. He played with some players that his dad played with.

Drachen596
April 16th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Nothin like coworkers texting for help when you're on vacation.

Good thing it was just questions needing answered so they could find stuff, otherwise I'd have ignored them.(or if it had been the boss)

TheBenior
April 18th, 2016, 03:05 AM
I went to Costco the other day, and their gas had gone up by 10 cents per gallon from the week before. I still had 3/4ths of a tank, so it was a perfect opportunity to save money by only buying a little at a time.

novicius
April 18th, 2016, 05:39 AM
He wouldn't understand that either. :lol: :up:

Godson
April 18th, 2016, 06:16 AM
Yup, still funny

Kchrpm
April 18th, 2016, 06:28 AM
If I need gas, and I'm in an area where the prices are more expensive than the pumps near my house, or the gas prices are higher that day than they have been the rest of the week, I'll only put in enough to last me until I get home/last a couple days and get back to the lower prices.

#DockforPresident #MakeGasGreatAgain

21Kid
April 18th, 2016, 08:13 AM
That makes perfect sense.

Freude am Fahren
April 18th, 2016, 09:03 AM
But, but, forecourt!

thesameguy
April 18th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked.

Random
April 18th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Oh my god, this is the best!

21Kid
April 18th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked.

THE REMIXXXXxxxx!!!1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTqsluGh0g

thesameguy
April 18th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Oh my god, this is the best!

YEAH IT IS!!!

Phil_SS
April 18th, 2016, 05:29 PM
I want you to trip like I do.....

Freude am Fahren
April 21st, 2016, 08:47 AM
Death investigation at Prince's house, weeks after he had to cancel shows due to the flu. Name not released yet...

tigeraid
April 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM
Chyna and Prince on the same day. Weeeeeeird.

The only Prince performance I cared about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZxYjqqjZM

overpowered
April 22nd, 2016, 07:38 PM
Playboy is looking to sell the Cosby's rape house, er the Playboy mansion. They're asking $200 million, and you have to let Hef keep living there until he dies. He's 89.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/09/playboy-mansion-sale-hugh-hefner/

Real estate experts are saying that it's a tear down but the lot is worth about $60 million. Location. Location. Location.Larry Flynt wants it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3411355/Hustler-Founder-Larry-Flynt-wants-buy-arch-rival-Hugh-Hefner-s-Playboy-Mansion-says-wont-pay-200-million-bnor-allow-Hef-sticky-sheets-stay.html

novicius
April 25th, 2016, 10:10 PM
All credit cards paid off today, Daytona paid off in another 10 days. :hard:

Just leaves the balance on the Street Triple loan as our only debt. :up:

TheBenior
April 25th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Nice, I've got notes on the Ducati, the CX-5, and the house.

So naturally my FICO score is the highest it's been in a while :lol:

novicius
April 26th, 2016, 03:53 AM
I'm currently (and for the forseeable future) doing contract work. I could be canceled from a gig in a New York minute so carrying any sort of debt for the next few years makes me edgy.

You're like clergy with bullets, you're probably not going to get laid off anytime soon. ;)

21Kid
April 26th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Time to buy a house!!! :D Yellow, so the curtains match...

Dicknose
April 26th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I accidentally paid off my mortgage while away on holidays. Was keeping it with a low balance so I could use it to redraw if I needed some cash. Got an email from the bank saying its paid off, $100 a month and the balance was $80 - Ops.
Not really needed now I got plenty of spare cash.

So no loans, cars and bike all bought without a loan, mortgage paid, cash in bank, feet up not working, just getting over jet lag after a holiday in Africa.
Life is tough...
Now do I take the bike or the car for a spin tomorrow if the weather is nice??
IMOA if you are working in Sydney next week we should do lunch!

novicius
April 26th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Living the dream! :up: :up:

21Kid
April 26th, 2016, 09:36 AM
DN's final post...

MR2 Fan
April 26th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure how it's possible for an entire U.S. state to function with an average IQ of 17 (South Carolina). Every time I get a call from one of those idiots I feel like I'm dumber after having spoken to them.

thesameguy
April 26th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Eliminating all debt was one of the major highlights of my adult life - but as a result I've been *really* leery of assuming more, and some stress does result. I did not like having a note on the Caddy and Solstice, so they're gone. We got all the payments for the Fiat in a bank account before I could accept signing the lease. When we got a quote on replacing all the windows in the house, the estimator handed us a brochure on tax-friendly financing and I had to force him to take it back. It's a *little* depressing living essentially cash only (I buy with credit cards, but they're always paid off monthly) but I adore knowing every penny that comes into the house is mine and owed to nobody.

(Except the mortgage... couldn't quite swing a cash deal on a house :lol:)

thesameguy
April 26th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure how it's possible for an entire U.S. state to function with an average IQ of 17 (South Carolina). Every time I get a call from one of those idiots I feel like I'm dumber after having spoken to them.

You are. It's absolutely contagious.

I'm sorry.

Kchrpm
April 26th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I am so in debt :D But I'll live...FOR NOW *dun dun dun*

MR2 Fan
April 26th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I'm out of debt except for my car payment...but I'm going to have a wife and probably a house in a year or two

thesameguy
April 26th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Inexplicably, women are not tax deductible.

Cam
April 26th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Mmm... hot fudge sundae.

Godson
April 26th, 2016, 04:52 PM
To quote an old TV commercial "I'm in debt up to my eyeballs"

Seriously though. The Carrera, student loans, and the house...

Leon
April 26th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I'm debt free, other than an interest / payment free for 36 months TV deal, payments for which are going into a specific account to pay off in a lump.

However, as debt free 2 house owning status was achieved courtesy of my mum dying ... I'd rather have a mortgage, and a mum!!

Alan P
April 27th, 2016, 02:43 AM
Amen to that. Thankfully both my parents are still here although I'm not sure how for my Dad as he's smoked since he was 15 and he'll be 70 this year. Sure he's cut right back but has angina and all sorts of minor other maladies but is still here.

Cam
April 27th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I'm done classes. Only two exams to write and I'm done my undergraduate education. :)

21Kid
April 27th, 2016, 05:43 AM
My wife is on her 8th year of school (going into year 4 of med school). I stopped looking at the student loan bills once they hit 6 digits. That was a few years ago.
:sadbanana:
It's going to be decades before we are out from under these school bills. :(

21Kid
April 27th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I'm done classes. Only two exams to write and I'm done my undergraduate education. :)

Mmm... hot fudge sundae.

Is that why you are celebrating? ;)

novicius
April 27th, 2016, 09:07 AM

Did I say 10 days? Fuckit, paid it off today. I've got a potential buyer on the line for the Daytona so that'll give me the bang-bang to pay off the Striple in two weeks. :hard:

Keith, THIS is my mid-life crisis: irrationally wanting to be debt-free. I will suck it up and take on future car- and house-payments at some point, just let me have this!! :lol:

thesameguy
April 27th, 2016, 11:18 AM
My friend's secretary looks impossibly good today.

Also, everyone hates a tourist.

Kchrpm
April 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Keith, THIS is my mid-life crisis: irrationally wanting to be debt-free.
Every time we talk, I learn more and more about the proverbial mid-life crisis :up:

Kchrpm
April 27th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I have figured out why my images from Google Photos didn't always work: if you place an image in a shared folder, you have to open them while in the shared folder to get the shared URL for it. If you just use the photo feed or search function, it will generate the default aka private image URL.

21Kid
April 27th, 2016, 01:08 PM
#protip

Thanks! :cool:

Godson
April 27th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Did I say 10 days? Fuckit, paid it off today. I've got a potential buyer on the line for the Daytona so that'll give me the bang-bang to pay off the Striple in two weeks. :hard:

Keith, THIS is my mid-life crisis: irrationally wanting to be debt-free. I will suck it up and take on future car- and house-payments at some point, just let me have this!! :lol:

What??? Y u sell Daytona?

novicius
April 28th, 2016, 04:28 AM
After 17K miles on road trips and too many woolly rides to remember, I have done everything I am able to do on it. ;) Damn impressive machine, this generation of Daytona is a beautiful and demanding ride, unapologetically deserving the middleweight title "Supersport". #salute

But the Daytona doesn't do coffee, dammit! :lol:

The Streety is a better commuter. It's worlds more comfortable. It poses real nice if I were to grow a beard, buy thick-framed glasses and start wearing flannel. #no

Still a 675 triple. Good 'nuff. :up:

21Kid
April 28th, 2016, 05:44 AM
:blahblah: He's getting old, that's why. :finger: (see profile pic)

novicius
April 28th, 2016, 06:01 AM
Yep! :D

(You also forgot "fatter"! :finger: )

Godson
April 28th, 2016, 06:06 AM
One of those is an option..

21Kid
April 28th, 2016, 06:12 AM
http://blogs.sxu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Kelso-BURN.jpg

novicius
April 28th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Really it's the fatness that knocks me off the Daytona. I know two (soon to be three) old guys who still ride them around here but they're all thinner and tougher than me. ;)

speedpimp
April 28th, 2016, 07:20 AM
You make Betty White look like a Hells Angel.

novicius
April 28th, 2016, 07:44 AM
I hear her vag can take quite the pounding.

21Kid
April 28th, 2016, 09:40 AM
:lol:

thesameguy
April 28th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Can, or has, or both?

Leon
April 28th, 2016, 11:22 AM
[backs slowly away from thread]

speedpimp
April 28th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Sorry, luv, but you're not going anywhere. One more peep out of you and you'll be the middle of a human centipede with hutton and billy/i.

thesameguy
April 28th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Now it's a Thursday!

novicius
April 28th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Now I had to read Betty White's wiki page.

She turned 45 years old in 1967. #mindblown

Drachen596
April 28th, 2016, 05:24 PM
Why would I want to switch to the back half of the week instead of the front half I have now for a work schedule? Sorry spazzy whiny, untrustworthy coworker, ain't gonna happen.

thesameguy
April 28th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Which half does Betty White work? Ask yourself that.

overpowered
April 28th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Now I had to read Betty White's wiki page.

She turned 45 years old in 1967. #mindblownShe's actually older than sliced bread.

21Kid
April 29th, 2016, 05:16 AM
I love that fact about her.
Sliced Bread is the greatest thing since Betty White. :lol:

tigeraid
April 29th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Jogging this morning, in one of my fav spots in London to do so, but of course it was in Old East... I would've taken a pic of this, but dude was standing right beside it. So picture, if you will, in your mind's eye:

A 1990 Grand-Am. 2 door. Purple, except one fender, which is grey. Horrific do-it-yourself window tint peeling off only half the windows. Rocker panels rotting the. fuck. OFF.

APC 5-star wheels. Yes, like the ones from the 90s. Predator GTS Radials. Yes, like the ones from the 90s. Fellow Canadians will know what's up there.

No exhaust system to speak of after the intermediate pipe.

And hanging in the rear window, similar to a "baby on board" sign, is a large blue sign which reads:

"SHOW ME YOUR TITTIES."

Americans, when you ask if we in Canada have rednecks? Like real, deep south, "the ones you see in the Wal-Mart memes" rednecks? Yes, yes we do.

thesameguy
April 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM
ROFL!

That sign would go AWESOME in the Ford. I need one.

speedpimp
April 29th, 2016, 06:21 PM
I've been driving this truck since last August. It now has 44k miles on it. Today I was at a customer and one of the mount brackets on the ramp broke. I crawled under the truck and noticed that the welds had broken. Instead of using a full bead on either side of the bracket they used three spot welds on either side. I used duct tape to hold the busted bracket to the carrier so that I was able to get the ramp pushed in and used a pair of straps to hold the ramp in place so I could drive it to the Penske shop in Fort Wayne. I was in and out of there in ten minutes. A tech crawled under the truck and moved a bolt that was preventing the ramp from being pushed all the way in and I pushed the ramp in and it locked into place and I was back on the road. Turned into a 16 hour day.

Dicknose
April 29th, 2016, 10:21 PM
So picture, if you will, in your mind's eye:

Except if you have Aphantasia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia)

Drachen596
April 30th, 2016, 01:16 AM
Which half does Betty White work? Ask yourself that.

Considering she's an actress I have no idea. I'm also pretty sure she'd bitch slap the shit out of said coworker.

tigeraid
April 30th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Woah. Mind blown.

Freude am Fahren
April 30th, 2016, 08:02 AM

I just can't picture that being a real thing.

Kchrpm
April 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM

:up:

Cam
April 30th, 2016, 08:48 AM
:lol: :up:

MR2 Fan
May 1st, 2016, 03:21 PM
That awkward moment when I'm listening to the TRON:Legacy soundtrack on youtube and hear a song I hadn't heard before from the soundtrack, or so I thought, clicked back over and it's an ad for Hennessey that sounds just like another song that would be on the TRON soundtrack....freaky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T8JCapevxM

TheBenior
May 1st, 2016, 08:59 PM
If you go out drinking and end up with a BAC in excess of 0.185, don't drive, as you may hurt someone and/or get arrested.

If you do drive and subsequently crash into a police car, you're going to get arrested.

overpowered
May 1st, 2016, 10:56 PM
Isn't the limit 0.08% in most places now?

0.185 is more than double that.

I had a friend who had a breathalyzer at a party once. I was surprised at how buzzed I needed to be to blow 0.08%. I wouldn't even consider driving when I felt like that.

TheBenior
May 1st, 2016, 11:15 PM
All states now have a 0.08% BAC per se law, though the percentage for increased penalties varies (anywhere from 0.10% to 0.20%, but 0.15-0.16% is most common).

However, effective penalties vary so much between states and even counties that blanket statements about them are impossible.

21Kid
May 2nd, 2016, 07:00 AM
Did someone crash into you? :lol:

Cam
May 2nd, 2016, 09:24 AM
I thought he was saying that he got arrested. *shrug*

Kchrpm
May 2nd, 2016, 10:04 AM
Nah, he's the cop, he does the arresting :cool:

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2016, 10:23 AM
Especially if Drunky McSlosherson crashes into him!

Cam
May 2nd, 2016, 11:15 AM
Cops get drunk sometimes.

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
That's what we call a "coverup." :P

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2016, 09:05 PM
Poor puppy lost her family. :(

overpowered
May 2nd, 2016, 11:19 PM
I wish I was like you Easily amused Find my nest of salt Everything's my fault I take all the blame Aqua seafoam shame Sunburn, freezer burn Choking on the ashes of her enemy

MR2 Fan
May 3rd, 2016, 10:07 PM
So its 1:30 AM and apparently someone called the cops on me.

I live downstairs in a 2 story apartment and while I heard random banging noises from time to time I didn't realize they were trying to get my attention, I guess I was playing my music too loudly (not really).

It's funny, as I never called the cops on them when I heard them doing the mattress dance every few days for weeks at a time in the middle of the night.

Yw-slayer
May 3rd, 2016, 11:23 PM
Then you should call the cops on them next time they do the mattress dance. "I'm worried someone is being killed. There's too much screaming."

FaultyMario
May 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Battery pack on motorola walkie talkie died. Do I replace it with a knock off, OEM or buy a pack of rechargable NiMH AAs?

thesameguy
May 4th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I'd go knock-off. We used cheapies from Amazon on our in car comms and they were fine.

Leon
May 4th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Talking of cops, I went out with the police on an anti-boy-racer operation a few weeks back (as they needed car people there to judge if modified cars are still in a road legal condition).

There are a couple of laws here that allow the police to seize cars off people (speeding / drag racing / burnouts etc). So we were out all night (got home 5am) following the boy racer train around (450 or so cars).

Seized a few cars on the night for speeding. Got lots of evidence on the night for seizures later on too, as what the boy racers didn't know, is that there were police among them, and additionally there were actually police hidden at some of their favourite burnout spots (where they are doing *massive* amounts of damage) with low light cameras / scopes etc. So a whole lot of people thought they got away with being anti social dickheads, but then had their cars seized the following week.

I support and endorse legal motorsport. I am firmly against people vandalising private property, public roads, throwing bottles everywhere, and racing on public roads.

Kchrpm
May 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Leon, the real life Fastlane/Fast & Furious.

novicius
May 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM
:up: :up:

overpowered
May 4th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I support and endorse legal motorsport. I am firmly against people vandalising private property, public roads, throwing bottles everywhere, and racing on public roads.Agreed and good job helping the cops on this.

In the San Diego area, race enthusiasts have tried to curb bad behavior by giving them legal ways to race:

http://racelegal.com/

MR2 Fan
May 4th, 2016, 01:38 PM
There's this organization also:

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=racers-against-street-racing&g=SEMAGA

Leon
May 4th, 2016, 09:51 PM
There is literally nowhere easier in the world to race legally than NZ .... it is cheap as chips (a day autocrossing entry fee would be about US$30).

Majority of the folk having their cars taken off them just want to do skids in front of an audience of drunk people at 2am. That's basically their niche in life.

Also (grumpy old man talk here), they're a bunch of over entitled little giblet brains who would want other people to completely fund a burnout pad for them, and run it all for free at 1-4am on weekends. That's mentality of kiddie we're talking here, it's definitely not a Mensa gathering.

Sad, little man
May 7th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Two women... One in graduate school for engineering, one works in advertising. One's 24, one's 30. Can't choose... Too good of a person to string people along... Dammit, what's the right play here!? Probably 30yr old, right? Keep the ages as close as possible? More chance of lasting longer that way?

novicius
May 7th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Depends on when you want to get married.

If you want some time, date the 24-year-old. If you're good with settling down now and getting some kids out, date the 30-year-old. Just don't be a cad and waste the next three or four years of her life.

Sad, little man
May 7th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Kids!? Fuck no, never. Why would I spend hundreds of thousands in daycare and college tuition just to cast someone off into a bleak future on a planet thrown into turmoil by climate change while I selfishly elope into the sweet embrace of death before things turn really hairy? Having kids at this time in our planet's evolution is foolhardy at best and cruel at worst.

Sadly I couldn't make it work out with the one woman I was pretty sure had an IUD, but that's my American Dream.

FaultyMario
May 7th, 2016, 07:58 PM
24, throw them on her back.

Godson
May 7th, 2016, 10:45 PM
I agree. 24 y/o. JUst remember she isn't completely metally developed yet.

thesameguy
May 8th, 2016, 12:29 AM
I feel like we did really well tonight considering like 90% of us are fucking bleeding.

George
May 8th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Kids!? Fuck no, never. Why would I spend hundreds of thousands in daycare and college tuition just to cast someone off into a bleak future on a planet thrown into turmoil by climate change while I selfishly elope into the sweet embrace of death before things turn really hairy? Having kids at this time in our planet's evolution is foolhardy at best and cruel at worst..

Lighten up, Francis. The world sucks, and always has. Find yourself a willing participant and get busy procreating, if for no other reason than not to be an Old Dad, which kind of sucks for several reasons.

novicius
May 8th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Hey now!! :lol: ;)

Sad, little man
May 8th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Lighten up, Francis. The world sucks, and always has. Find yourself a willing participant and get busy procreating, if for no other reason than not to be an Old Dad, which kind of sucks for several reasons.
We haven't even begun to see how much the world is capable of sucking. Just wait until a large(r) portion of the population is completely unable to feed themselves due to poverty and the rising cost of basic food brought on by ever-dwindling amounts of land on the planet that have a climate that is temperate enough to grow crops on. Wars will begin to be fought over fresh water and food. Even now, a lot of what has been going on in the middle east since the arab spring has some underlying causes that include peoples' frustration over a lack of food.

Just remember, in sixty years, all those little bundles of joy you see in the hospitals are going to be stabbing each other in the eyes with a rusty fork, fighting to the death over the last potato and pound of rice. We really are quite a bunch of sadistic bastards for continuing to pump them out and promising each one of them a magical life when they're probably going to face warfare, a hostile climate, and a lack of food.

Sorry but I refuse to just blindly give in to the primitive instinctive urge to have as many babies as possible. Guess what, the planet has enough people on it. We no longer need to fuck to save the species. We won. In fact, there are so many people that we're ruining the planet. The last thing I think the world needs is a tiny version of me running around sucking up natural resources at a uniquely American pace.

Also, we have made it cost prohibitive in this country to raise kids. Daycare rates are astronomical, we have no laws or programs in place to help parents, and colleges in this country are being run more like corporations than places of learning. Fuck having kids in the US. It's a completely raw deal, and there's no way for a normal person to do it without putting themselves and their kid through financial hardship.

So why again am I supposed to have kids? (Aside from some primitive urge to which hasn't been relevant to the actual state of our society and our planet in thousands of years.)

JoshInKC
May 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Aaahhh, having/not having kids - One of those topics virtually guaranteed to make people weirdly defensive and angry on both sides.

Kchrpm
May 8th, 2016, 04:04 PM
blah blah blah I made a personal decision based on my own life, experiences and opinions, and anyone that doesn't agree with me is a brain dead moron
TLDR

Drachen596
May 8th, 2016, 05:23 PM
What if you just read a bit of it at a time instead of all at once?

George
May 8th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Aaahhh, having/not having kids - One of those topics virtually guaranteed to make people weirdly defensive and angry on both sides.

True, of course. My comment was just a "sittin' on the barstool, shootin' the breeze with my fellow customers" kind of remark, not a "this is the most important thing ever!" cliff to jump from.

SLM, of course you'll do what's best for you. I meant no offense.

When I posted my remarks, I was thinking of a quote I've heard attributed to Socrates, which, according to google, goes like this:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers..

I used to say stuff like that too, and then I realized being a parent it's not all that bad, if you don't count the first few years, and probably the teenage years too, at which I haven't arrived yet. And, I still don't like kids more than I ever did, except for my own, of course. :)

speedpimp
May 9th, 2016, 02:49 AM

This.

Yw-slayer
May 9th, 2016, 07:09 AM
This.

So THAT'S what I need to do to make my kids cheaper to raise. Got it.

thesameguy
May 9th, 2016, 09:09 AM

I tried it both ways. TL;DR no matter what. The exception that proves the rule?

Kchrpm
May 9th, 2016, 10:48 AM
http://www.merchoid.com/product/zelda-hero-of-hyrule-cosplay-men-s-hoodie/

http://www.merchoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/malefront-510x648.jpg

http://www.merchoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/maleback-510x648.jpg

novicius
May 9th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I'm cool with SLM not reproducing, aren't you? ;) #jk

thesameguy
May 9th, 2016, 03:25 PM
http://www.merchoid.com/product/zelda-hero-of-hyrule-cosplay-men-s-hoodie/

I am seriously thinking about that. That's a great St. Patrick's Day pub crawl situation right there.

Kchrpm
May 10th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I might wear it to pick up my NX ;)

Drachen596
May 11th, 2016, 04:23 AM
The Mayor here is mad because his annexation plan got voted down by City Council. Mayor essentially said those that voted against him suck and don't know anything about leadership plus aren't advocating for those that elected them.

It's also something the residents of the area were very much against as well as the County and 2 school systems. At least one school would have lost enough funding to cancel all busing of students. A fire department would have had to fire all its full time fire fighters and EMTs.

And to top it off, people already living inside the city limits thought it was a bad idea as well.

MR2 Fan
May 11th, 2016, 08:53 AM
As a few of you know I'm a theme park fan, and while the new Disney park in Shanghai has in many ways been a disaster so far, with the expected corruption by the Chinese gov't, Disney sinking too much money into it and causing cuts in other places, like the domestic parks....I will say that their Imagineers who create the rides are still some of the best.

The new Pirates of the Caribbean ride looks incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TIklXtMDGk

overpowered
May 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM
5 hours rescuing a whale caught in an anchor line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8GjX7pyfM

speedpimp
May 11th, 2016, 12:30 PM
The Mayor here is mad because his annexation plan got voted down by City Council. Mayor essentially said those that voted against him suck and don't know anything about leadership plus aren't advocating for those that elected them.

Getting greedy or what?

novicius
May 11th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Wanted to make his mark on the city, sounds like.

overpowered
May 11th, 2016, 09:07 PM
This is kind of neat.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/ultraviolet-light-reveals-hidden-text-ancient-book-arthurian-stories-002864

Drachen596
May 11th, 2016, 11:43 PM
Wanted the taxes to pay for the downtown arena and other projects.

speedpimp
May 12th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Wanted the taxes to pay for the downtown arena and other projects.

Like the apartments that are being built at the baseball stadium?

Drachen596
May 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Yeah. Now the Mayor is suing the fire ems service from an area they annexed years ago....

in other news mom is in the hospital again. Sister and her husband want to to cosign or something on a house for them and mom. And im just a bit overwhelmed.

21Kid
May 13th, 2016, 05:30 AM
They want you to cosign on a house? Most regular mortgages don't allow for co-signers. There are a very limited few of them. Usually on a state level/gov't program.

You can sometimes (dependong on the program) be a co-borrower. Meaning your name is on the Note, but not the mortgage. *WARNING* Be very careful however. That is a very dangerous situation, as you are fully required to pay back the full loan (if they can't) without having any ownership in the property.

FYI, I would never be a co-borrower unless I was wealthy and trying to help my kids get a better deal. It will be on your credit until it is paid in full. And it will reflect as a payment you are responsible for any time you apply for credit. Unlike co-signing where you can usually prove that you are not the responsible party. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully it's less serious this time?

Drachen596
May 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM
She got out today.

Sister and husband are trying for some program through pathfinder/fha and a homebuilder here. Their scores are too low for even that.

and honestly i dont want to sign anything for them due the the strong strong chance it will screw me on buying my own place.

21Kid
May 13th, 2016, 01:18 PM
It most definitely would.

thesameguy
May 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Yep.

The only home you can cosign on would be of the mobile variety. ;)

speedpimp
May 13th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Glad your mom is feeling better. Save yourself a world of headaches, legal and financial problems by not signing for them.

Alan P
May 13th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Glad your mom is out Drachen.

So I had to apply for my job on a permanent basis, what I was doing was a secondment which was six months, extended for another six and now another two months.

We were told it would be around two weeks to find out, there are 18 of us but they want to move to 11 only full time. Turns out today some people have been told if they've got the job or not, others, including myself haven't been told. And that boils my piss. They've been sworn to secrecy but this really fucks me off. We were originally told earlier this week it would be next week when we found out. One of the Managers said in the daily Team leader and manager meeting the Jedi were being talked to today ('at this very moment' were the words used) so either those who got it have been told and are keeping quiet or those that haven't have been told, but I highly doubt that. It's a joke.

FaultyMario
May 13th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Dracks, glad your mom's recovering.
Help her see a good endocrinologist regularly.

Drachen596
May 14th, 2016, 01:11 AM
Not sure what you can do for someone that has essentially refused to listen for roughly 13 years about sugar being bad for a diabetic but my sister is trying since thats where mom is at.

MR2 Fan
May 14th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Jennifer Lawrence is supposedly being added to an all-female Ocean's 11 reboot, yes, they're remaking more movies with an all-female cast.

Hopefully once Ghostbusters crashes and burns they'll think twice.

I'm not saying Ocean's couldn't be a good movie, it's more of the why they're doing it this way in Hollywood.

Alan P
May 14th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Glad your mom is out Drachen.

So I had to apply for my job on a permanent basis, what I was doing was a secondment which was six months, extended for another six and now another two months.

We were told it would be around two weeks to find out, there are 18 of us but they want to move to 11 only full time. Turns out today some people have been told if they've got the job or not, others, including myself haven't been told. And that boils my piss. They've been sworn to secrecy but this really fucks me off. We were originally told earlier this week it would be next week when we found out. One of the Managers said in the daily Team leader and manager meeting the Jedi were being talked to today ('at this very moment' were the words used) so either those who got it have been told and are keeping quiet or those that haven't have been told, but I highly doubt that. It's a joke.

So, phone call today. I didn't get the job.

speedpimp
May 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Sorry, Alan. That really sucks.

Alan P
May 14th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Meh. I wouldn't worry about it (but thanks for the thoughts). It was an internal vacancy so I can still fall back into my old job.

They did say that they would like me to carry on until the 27th but would understand if I didn't want to. I'm in two minds about it. Without all of us they're going to struggle for cover on the back shift. I've got half a mind to tell them to stick their job up their arse ('Sorry I don't feel I can continue for another two weeks when it's clear I'm not wanted') and watch the mad panic and the first time someone comes to me and says 'Can you help me?' and I'll say 'no, speak to a Jedi'.

Godson
May 14th, 2016, 05:54 PM
See, I look at it in this light. Step up to the plate and help out. Management looks at this stuff.

Alan P
May 15th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Chatting to someone else who didn't get it I've decided to continue. It's my six day week next week but I'm only in for three days the week after so it's no big deal.

21Kid
May 16th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Maybe when they realize they're understaffed, they'll ask you to stay...

Godson
May 16th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe when they realize they're understaffed, they'll ask you to stay...

This is why you be nice. Always

Alan P
May 16th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I already get to stay, it's not a 'don't get it, leave the company' deal. They asked two of the most recent guys, only three months in, to stay on secondment because they're expecting even lower numbers going forward. That way they can end the secondment early without penalty whereas if they have permanent roles they need to get rid of later there are several rules around doing so which may be financially punitive for the company.

Also, not sure I'd say yes anyway. I have no idea about wages or shift patterns but I can see it not being great money wise, at least £2k a year down on what I can make (not to mention £1k a year down on what I need to make) and the shifts will likely mean more weekend working instead of the one Saturday in four I currently do.

mk
May 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM
0-4

21Kid
May 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM
In no way will this end well...

As of today, the Charter cable company officially owns Time Warner Cable and another operator, Bright House, thanks to a $65 billion mega merger.

thesameguy
May 18th, 2016, 03:10 PM
How the FUCK did the FCC and/or FTC allow this?

Maybe it's their two wrongs make a right policy, and they're building an arch-nemesis to undo Comcast?

Godson
May 18th, 2016, 04:06 PM
...with equally shit service.

Or would it be shittier?

thesameguy
May 18th, 2016, 04:20 PM
A negative times a negative does equal a positive, so there's that...

Alan P
May 18th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I already get to stay, it's not a 'don't get it, leave the company' deal. They asked two of the most recent guys, only three months in, to stay on secondment because they're expecting even lower numbers going forward. That way they can end the secondment early without penalty whereas if they have permanent roles they need to get rid of later there are several rules around doing so which may be financially punitive for the company.

Also, not sure I'd say yes anyway. I have no idea about wages or shift patterns but I can see it not being great money wise, at least £2k a year down on what I can make (not to mention £1k a year down on what I need to make) and the shifts will likely mean more weekend working instead of the one Saturday in four I currently do.

Found out yesterday that it would have meant a £3k a year pay cut. I'd have turned that down flat anyway.

thesameguy
May 18th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Sheesh, that's no good! What would their possible justification for that be?

Random
May 18th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Better benefits package? Or just trolling to see who's desperate... :|

Freude am Fahren
May 18th, 2016, 08:35 PM
How the FUCK did the FCC and/or FTC allow this?
That's cute.

Never even heard of Charter, by the way, are they a midwest/west coast thing?

Random
May 18th, 2016, 09:16 PM
One last thing: Time Warner Cable is not Time Warner, which—believe it or not—is an entirely different media conglomerate that owns Warner Bros., HBO, etc. The two companies are confused all the time, which is not great for Time Warner because Time Warner Cable is one of themost hated brands (http://qz.com/182784/people-hate-comcast-and-time-warner-cable-even-more-now-that-theyre-merging/) in the US. It’s really a big problem. If Time Warner Cable is renamed Charter as part of this consolidation, then the biggest winner of the whole deal might end up being Time Warner.

Providing services to over 25 million customers in 41 states, it is the second-largest cable operator in the United States by subscribers, just behind Comcast (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast)[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Communications#cite_note-4) and by residential subscriber lines it is the tenth-largest telephone provider.[5] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_Communications#cite_note-LRG-5)

Coverage map: http://www.broadbandmap.gov/provider/wireline/charter-communications

Drachen596
May 18th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Third Party call center i worked at in Lake Mary Florida(near Orlando) was for Charter. calls came to us from Missouri, Wisconsin, South Carolina(maybe north too?), Tennessee and California. Some of the dumbest customers I've ever dealt with in my life. Also Charter is the most nitpicky bullshit company in the damn world.

Didn't the FTC/FCC/SEC just shut down Comcasts attempted purchase of Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse?

Kchrpm
May 19th, 2016, 04:10 AM
When you're already the biggest company in the market, buying up large competitors is more likely to get blocked as monopolistic than a smaller (but still huge) company buying up those some competitors.

Alan P
May 20th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Sheesh, that's no good! What would their possible justification for that be?

Better benefits package? Or just trolling to see who's desperate... :|

Well, as I was on a secondment for 14 months they gave us an 'acting up' allowance as when I'm doing the normal job I get a bonus and incentive based on Customer surveys and any additional product sales I make. Before I took the role this was, on average, £261 a month. Doing the secondment job (I was a Broadband and Talk Jedi!) meant no bonus or incentive so they gave us the £250 to cover us. Now that the role has become permanent it's a salaried role with no bonus or incentive. So seeing as I'm on £19,829 basic, the extra £3k a year meant I was as close to £23k as makes no difference over the year. Hence the £3k a year pay cut.

Drachen596
May 22nd, 2016, 11:51 AM
Oh yes coworker i would love to do the more difficult job i have already done 4 days this week so you can do the easy one i am assigned for today.

oh wait no i wouldnt. Man up you spaz.

21Kid
May 23rd, 2016, 06:39 AM
But, you're so good at it.

MR2 Fan
May 23rd, 2016, 08:27 AM
I just found out another famous person who went to my high school...DJ Khaled :p

GB
May 29th, 2016, 08:20 PM
A big, collective "FUCK YOU" to all the sports writers saying that the Indy 500 was disappointing, and it was won by unknown rookie Alexander Rossi.

Sad, little man
May 30th, 2016, 04:45 AM
I find sports writers' opinion of this year's Indy 500 to be wholly irrelevant to my life and existence.

Godson
May 30th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I find sports writers' opinion of this year's Indy 500 to be wholly irrelevant to my life and existence.

I find sports writers in general to be wholly irrelevant.

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2016, 11:36 AM
if "media" is plural for "medium", wouldn't "multi-media" be redundant?

Freude am Fahren
May 30th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Ha, good point. Language is weird. Like how some people refuse to admit that GIF can (and should) be pronounced "jiff"

Kchrpm
May 30th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I like that people are so hooked up on having a single pronunciation gotta word when we have so many with multiple pronunciations.

Freude am Fahren
May 30th, 2016, 01:22 PM
For the longest time I pronounced meme as mem, I guess because it looks french.

Drachen596
May 30th, 2016, 06:56 PM
So... she only wants my attention when someone else is ignoring her.

Funny how things like that work.

Random
May 30th, 2016, 09:32 PM
For the longest time I pronounced meme as mem, I guess because it looks french.

The French word has a slightly different spelling: même.

thesameguy
May 30th, 2016, 09:50 PM
So... she only wants my attention when someone else is ignoring her.

Funny how things like that work.

I have never found that funny. :(

Freude am Fahren
May 30th, 2016, 10:02 PM
The French word has a slightly different spelling: même.

Yeah, I took French in highschool, I think that's where it came from. Same spelling minus the accent, so I'll pronounce it the same.

thesameguy
May 30th, 2016, 10:45 PM
They are different words, with different meanings. French même means "same" like même jour is same day or la même chose is the same thing. Meme in English refers to a cultural idea or practice that is transmitted in a sort of autonomous way through communication. The French is a standalone word, the English is derivative of memetics, a field of study originating in the '90s.

Drachen596
May 30th, 2016, 10:58 PM
I have never found that funny. :(

Its only funny cause I keep forgetting thats how shes been since I first met her.

some things never change.

overpowered
May 30th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Actually, the French word is mème and they do pronounce it "mem"

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A8me

It is originally English and coined in 1976 by Richard Dawkins in one of his books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

21Kid
May 31st, 2016, 06:18 AM

Freude am Fahren
May 31st, 2016, 07:24 AM
I know they are two different words, I just used the pronunciation of the word I already knew that looked similar until I learned better.

FaultyMario
May 31st, 2016, 07:24 AM
I thought it had originated from the work of one of the many french semioticists.

thesameguy
May 31st, 2016, 08:37 AM
In theory the two are in opposition to each other. In theory.

thesameguy
May 31st, 2016, 03:29 PM
It's so hot outside.

Random
May 31st, 2016, 04:03 PM
Srsly, y0.:sadbanana:

Drachen596
June 1st, 2016, 01:20 AM
I may have been a bit of a jerk when leaving work Tuesday at 5 am after a 12 hour shift. I may have just been justified in my I don't care attitude as well.
Its a very narrow line between the two.

I left a coworker who has been with the company for nearly 2 years alone and after said coworker stated they couldn't remember how to get a necessary set of spreadsheets and tools set up correctly. Didn't offer to help, simply stated that I had to clock out because going over 12 gets us in trouble plus i had to be back at 4 pm for my normal shift.

I suspect the being a jerk one is more accurate since I feel NO guilt or sorrow over it and in fact laughed quite a bit on the way home about it.

21Kid
June 1st, 2016, 06:41 AM
The incident has struck national outrage from animal rights activists as well as citizens concerned about zoo safety. Prosecutors from Hamilton County, Ohio, said the Cincinnati Police Department will look into the incident for possible criminal charges.

“We are also very appreciative for the expressions of concern and support that have been sent to us. Some have offered money to the family, which we do not want and will not accept. If anyone wishes to make a gift, we recommend a donation to the Cincinnati Zoo in Harambe’s name,” the family said in a statement to ABC News today. It's amazing how quickly people jump to conclusions now-a-days.

Godson
June 1st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Glad to see the family at least has a brain.

MR2 Fan
June 1st, 2016, 09:13 AM
At my job on a helpdesk, we've been given 10 sick days to use per year...that's for the whole company, same sick days available.

BUT, on the helpdesk, if we take 3 sick days within 3 months, we get reprimanded, get a "write up" and if we do that twice, we can get fired for it.

Doesn't that seem a bit, illegal?

thesameguy
June 1st, 2016, 09:21 AM
Employment law is set by the state so I don't know, but it sure seems like it should be. I've never heard of such a thing. I would seriously find an employment law attorney or specialist in your state and pose the question. It's pretty black-or-white, I suspect you'd get a straight answer over the phone. Lots of companies don't bother to understand or flagrantly violate employment law figuring nobody will ever call them on it. In some places doing that is a major, serious offense. You know, in California you can call EDD about things like this - perhaps FL has some analogous department?

thesameguy
June 1st, 2016, 09:24 AM
. However, it is important to note that if an employer promises to provide sick leave, that employer may have a legal obligation to grant it.

That is what I would imagine. If they promise it as a benefit - and it is, because they're not required to offer it - then they probably have an obligation to let you take advantage. If they construct systems where you can never avail yourself of a benefit, they have effectively deprived you of a contractually offered perk. That's likely a problem.

21Kid
June 1st, 2016, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't test the theory... if possible. ;)

thesameguy
June 1st, 2016, 10:08 AM
Well, you could get compensation. Or you could force them to revise business practices to let people use sick days they're promised.

OR

You could get constructively fired. Or, you could force them to eliminate the benefit they're not required to offer and ruin it for everyone.

Better to have sick days a little bit at a time, or not at all? Tough to say.

MR2 Fan
June 1st, 2016, 10:12 AM
Well it's interesting because 95% of the company likes to act like we don't exist...we're the lowest on the totem pole by far. I was just wondering if this was a legal issue. I don't have the situation myself, but I know someone else who was fired already.

I also wonder about whether it has to do with proof (Doctor's note, etc.) or not. We get separate vacation days this year (they used to be combined with sick days)

JoshInKC
June 1st, 2016, 10:12 AM
Better to have sick days a little bit at a time
Never gets old.

thesameguy
June 1st, 2016, 10:14 AM
All that stuff should be discussed in an employment agreement or handbook. Lots of companies don't do that until they get burned. If the guy who got fired has the interest, I'd have them contact either a specialist or a state department and pose the question. It's not a lot of time, and could save someone else from getting hosed for no reason.

21Kid
June 1st, 2016, 11:38 AM
It does sound sketchy that they have different rules just for the IT department. It doesn't sound like something that should be legal. Maybe post the question on a legal help forum?

Phil_SS
June 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM
Well it's interesting because 95% of the company likes to act like we don't exist...we're the lowest on the totem pole by far. I was just wondering if this was a legal issue. I don't have the situation myself, but I know someone else who was fired already.

I also wonder about whether it has to do with proof (Doctor's note, etc.) or not. We get separate vacation days this year (they used to be combined with sick days)

I'm guessing the old method of Vacation + Sick days was considered one big pool called PTO? The fact that they have separated them and come up with a specific Sick day bin and now have restriction on the use of Sick days means they are trying to screw you out of using the Sick days as PTO. Which means they have arbitrarily removed a section of your benefit package. That is just plain petty and I would find a new job as soon as possible. There is no telling what they may start to remove next.

Does even one day require a note from a doctor? If so that is ridiculous. I could see them requiring a note if you took off 3 days or more in a row....

MR2 Fan
June 1st, 2016, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing the old method of Vacation + Sick days was considered one big pool called PTO? The fact that they have separated them and come up with a specific Sick day bin and now have restriction on the use of Sick days means they are trying to screw you out of using the Sick days as PTO. Which means they have arbitrarily removed a section of your benefit package. That is just plain petty and I would find a new job as soon as possible. There is no telling what they may start to remove next.

Does even one day require a note from a doctor? If so that is ridiculous. I could see them requiring a note if you took off 3 days or more in a row....

It was called "FTO" or Flexible Time Off and it is paid, and that amount we accumulate is the same...so technically we get our existing vacation time and 10 extra days of sick time which sounds like a good deal, but this little caveat is what bothers me.

They usually only require a doctor's note if 2 days off or more.

overpowered
June 2nd, 2016, 12:30 AM
Well i spoke to the mountain I listened to the sea Both told me that the fountain Was the best that you could be

MR2 Fan
June 2nd, 2016, 06:30 AM
Another note about my employment....I applied to be in a quality assurance role in Engineering about 2 months ago....the week after I got interviewed they froze hiring any new people, indefinitely. I've been told I practically have the job, but have no idea when I'll have the job.

It's all getting just a bit irritating.

21Kid
June 2nd, 2016, 07:01 AM
You aren't new... You're a transfer. :D ;)

MR2 Fan
June 2nd, 2016, 07:14 AM
You aren't new... You're a transfer. :D ;)

EXACTLY...oh and when I asked about pay, they're like "Well, there's a limit to how much more we can pay someone for when hiring in-house." WTF? so if I came off the street I'd get paid more? complete bullshit

21Kid
June 2nd, 2016, 11:15 AM
:| That doesn't even make sense. They limit what they could pay you, even when transferring to a more important position. :erm:

Random
June 2nd, 2016, 11:54 AM
EXACTLY...oh and when I asked about pay, they're like "Well, there's a limit to how much more we can pay someone for when hiring in-house." WTF? so if I came off the street I'd get paid more? complete bullshit

Is that limit more or less than the cost of hiring and training your replacement?

Godson
June 2nd, 2016, 05:20 PM
Wel, I fucked up big today. Could have killed a patient during a pretty crazy trauma. Serendipity was in my side and didn't cause any harm. But my job, and likely my license are on the line.

Cam
June 2nd, 2016, 06:09 PM
Yikes, good luck with that.

TheBenior
June 2nd, 2016, 06:51 PM
Yikes, good luck with that.
QFMFT

overpowered
June 2nd, 2016, 07:50 PM
That's the scary thing about a job like that. One brain fart of the wrong type and you could kill or otherwise seriously harm someone.

Glad that nobody was harmed. Hope it goes well for you.

JoshInKC
June 3rd, 2016, 03:50 AM
That type of thing makes me glad that all the people I work on have been dead for centuries if not millennia.

Sad, little man
June 3rd, 2016, 08:14 AM
Friend from HS sends me a fb friend request... Proceeds to set the record for shortest amount of time between becoming friends with someone and unfollowing them.

MY NEWS FEED IS SACROSANCT AND YOU WILL NOT MEDDLE WITH IT BY MEANS OF YOUR FREQUENT AND UNINSPIRED STATUS UPDATES! :mad:

JoshInKC
June 3rd, 2016, 04:30 PM
As of yesterday, I'm somehow employed by three different organizations all for the same job this summer. And they're all state and university affiliated so the amount and complexity of hiring paperwork involved was beyond immense. Seriously, it was a damn nightmare.

Godson
June 3rd, 2016, 08:32 PM
No coi?

overpowered
June 3rd, 2016, 09:06 PM
Muhammad Ali, dead at 74. I never liked his professional wrestling inspired antics but as boxer he probably was the greatest in his prime. I don't think I've ever seen a fighter that big move as fast as he did. Him in his prime vs. Tyson in his prime sees Tyson on the canvas.

JoshInKC
June 4th, 2016, 05:35 AM
No coi?No, it's for a single position that through a complex legal/accounting agreement is funded by three closely related entities - the university, the state geological survey, and a perpetually funded endowment. There are actually also a few separate grants involved as well - but that's all paperwork I've already done, or has been handled by the aforementioned entities. This all amounts to a shocking amount of paperwork for depressingly small paychecks. Fortunately, all the reimbursements are being handled by a single entity, so I'm only going need to file receipts once, thank god.

But in the end it ought to be a good dig - A confirmed Paleo-Indian component and a soil profile that looks it it ought to contain a pretty well-preserved record back to about 15,000 BCE. This - combined with the location on the landscape, indicates that we very well might be looking at Clovis and pre-Clovis habitations. Plus, I'll be working with a bunch of people I like and we get to sleep indoors, so that's pretty great.
But, a downside is that the Ozarks are full of ticks and chiggers. :down:

Drachen596
June 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Whenever I need to come home from work and sleep right away I am awake till 8 or 9 am.

when I can be up all night I am asleep at 4 am instead of staying up.

for reference... i get off work at 3 am

speedpimp
June 4th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Had a delivery to a farm market yesterday. After we had finished unloading I walked into their office to collect the payment from the owner. When I first stepped into the office I noticed the owner's granddaughter sitting on the couch feeding her baby. I sat down and looked out the window because I wasn't sure if she was breast feeding or not, looked like she was and I didn't feel like confirming whether she was or not.

Alan P
June 4th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks Tyler.

Godson
June 4th, 2016, 05:04 PM
No problem!

Drachen596
June 6th, 2016, 12:16 AM
Ex contacted me... somewhat out of the blue and during the course of the conversation states she's getting divorced, misses me and thinks me possibly moving to Texas is a good idea..

I think she's just lonely and knows she can pretty easily get my attention. thats it.

Kchrpm
June 6th, 2016, 03:26 AM
Yep.

Godson
June 6th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Ignore it.

Alan P
June 6th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Ex contacted me... somewhat out of the blue and during the course of the conversation states she's getting divorced, misses me and thinks me possibly moving to Texas is a good idea..

I think she's just lonely and knows she can pretty easily get my attention. thats it.

Women rarely move on from one partner without having someone else lined up. She may 'miss you' but that won't be for long. IMO never go back.

Drachen596
June 6th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah. Wants me to move but says she wont date anyonr ever again.

women...

Yw-slayer
June 7th, 2016, 12:38 AM
She's just rebounding.

Leon
June 7th, 2016, 01:12 AM
Yah, seeking attention / ego boost.

speedpimp
June 7th, 2016, 07:17 AM
You'd be surprised how much blood can come out of your scrotum when you nick it while shaving.

tigeraid
June 7th, 2016, 11:19 AM
You'd be surprised how much blood can come out of your scrotum when you nick it while shaving.

https://imgflip.com/readImage?iid=1875541

Kchrpm
June 7th, 2016, 11:57 AM

Godson
June 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Most people would. I know better though...

Drachen596
June 8th, 2016, 10:43 PM
I miss you is girl code for give me attention when I want it otherwise I'm gonna ignore you.

oh well. I feel bad for where her life is at but I can't be focusing on that when I have things to go after that are far more attainable and useful.