PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

MR2 Fan
November 29th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Anyone think there could be some witch-hunt type of things happening with these assault allegations against celebrities/other famous people?

I saw conservative windbag S.E. Cupp claim someone grabbed her thigh once....I think going public with that is a bit over the top. Is it wrong? yes. is it equivalent to these other things going on? no.

I'm just thinking that there's so many allegations flying all over the place, the varying degrees of guilt or innocence or severity gets lost in the "OMG, him/her too!?!?!?"

2ndMoparMan
November 29th, 2017, 12:42 PM
This man needs more views. Good old blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW1KdTC4F2o

Cam
November 29th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Dude is friggin' good. I originally learned of him through his shovel guitar vids. Check the rest of his YouTube channel. Awesome stuff.

Freude am Fahren
November 29th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Anyone think there could be some witch-hunt type of things happening with these assault allegations against celebrities/other famous people?

I saw conservative windbag S.E. Cupp claim someone grabbed her thigh once....I think going public with that is a bit over the top. Is it wrong? yes. is it equivalent to these other things going on? no.

I'm just thinking that there's so many allegations flying all over the place, the varying degrees of guilt or innocence or severity gets lost in the "OMG, him/her too!?!?!?"

Apparently the Garrison Keillor is about touching a woman's bare back (he says by accident). Maybe's there's more to it. I hope so, because that would just be ridiculous.

Cam
November 30th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Something I haven't considered before today: your iPhone listens to you and advertises based on stuff you say. Lori and I were in Target buying a few things. I went to buy more razors for shaving and we were talking about the available products, including Harry's. Lori had never searched for Harry's before, yet as soon as she opened Instagram on her phone, there was an ad for Harry's. :erm:

JoshInKC
November 30th, 2017, 04:13 PM
I could well be wrong, but I have to assume that the Keillor thing is more than the story he's telling. If what he's saying is a full accounting of the only complaint against him, I have to assume that MPR would be bending over backwards to preserve his reputation - He, and the show that he is inextricably connected to have been their huge moneymakers for at least 30 years that I am personally aware of. This is going to utterly destroy their bottom line - probably permanently.
Therefore, I'm guessing that either the incident he wrote about was something much worse than what he says, or that its only one part of a huge pattern. Either way, it has to have been something way over the line to elicit the response it got.

Drachen596
November 30th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Something I haven't considered before today: your iPhone listens to you and advertises based on stuff you say. Lori and I were in Target buying a few things. I went to buy more razors for shaving and we were talking about the available products, including Harry's. Lori had never searched for Harry's before, yet as soon as she opened Instagram on her phone, there was an ad for Harry's. :erm:

Google admitted recently that Android tracked your location even if you turned the feature off.

JoshInKC
November 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM

It seems like I've heard a lot of people mentioning this recently. Didn't Apple roll out a big update in the past month or so? I wonder if they changed a setting and made it more obvious and in your face or something.

FaultyMario
December 1st, 2017, 05:25 AM
I wish that that forest of automotive zen that was TSG's Unified Fleet Thread had been kept exempt of politics.

novicius
December 1st, 2017, 06:18 AM
Absolutely. :( :( :(

George
December 1st, 2017, 09:23 AM

Does turning off Siri stop the eavesdropping?

Cam
December 1st, 2017, 09:26 AM
No. Lori does not have Siri enabled.

George
December 1st, 2017, 09:29 AM
Hmm. I ask because my wife got an iPhone a couple years ago and said she was getting ads like that. She keeps Siri on.

I was practically forced to get one for work (but they pay for it! :rawk:) and I keep Siri turned off. I haven't had an "instant advertisement" experience on my iPhone.

However, I mentioned that to a 27-year-old co-worker who has had iPhones since they came out and he just laughed when I told him this, as if I was the most clueless person ever.

He is probably right.

Kchrpm
December 1st, 2017, 12:16 PM
It's also possible that, if you were in the shaving aisle of Target, that your phone was able to detect your location in the store, and Harry's buys ads that are triggered when anyone is near the shaving section of Target. I say this because some stores offer in-store navigation via their apps and/or Google/Apple Maps. I believe it uses your proximity to repeaters or Bluetooth beacons in the store to triangulate your approximate position.

Not that that's any better, just saying.

DelSolMan
December 1st, 2017, 12:30 PM
Not sure if this will help but if you go into settings > privacy > advertising, you can opt out of targeted apps. A while back I recall them adding a feature where it scrambles your device info when it searches for wifi so it's harder to track. I don't know if this is enabled by default and hidden, or if this is a setting you can flip.

MR2 Fan
December 1st, 2017, 12:46 PM
I saw a youtube ad the other day where they discuss FB messenger on smartphones is tracking what we say for advertising....the youtube ad was promoting it for people to use for their business

speedpimp
December 1st, 2017, 03:06 PM
I make my phone wear ear muffs.

Cam
December 1st, 2017, 06:45 PM
I rarely take my phone with me anywhere.

Alan P
December 2nd, 2017, 05:50 PM
If you have these apps set to allow access to the microphone many of them, such as Facebook and Instagram will listen out for you and any products you mention. Disabling mic access should stop it.

mk
December 5th, 2017, 12:38 AM
>10k.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/12/04/youtube-hire-more-reviewers-screen-videos-after-backlash-over-kids-content/921981001/

AI reference?

MR2 Fan
December 11th, 2017, 02:07 PM
I had no idea the countdown calendars people make for Christmas are called "advent" calendars. :|

speedpimp
December 11th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Whiskey Advent Calendar is a thing.

MR2 Fan
December 13th, 2017, 12:54 PM
this has bothered me for way too long and I've stayed silent, but I really have to let it out.

I really hate the Times New Roman font

dodint
December 13th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Wow wow wow.

You're not...a Calibrian are you?

FaultyMario
December 13th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I'm a Vag-rounded myself.

Drachen596
December 14th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Turns out Pee Wee Herman is one of the Hollywood men who could keep his hands to himself.

MR2 Fan
December 14th, 2017, 06:33 AM
Wow wow wow.

You're not...a Calibrian are you?

Arial or Century Gothic FTW

FaultyMario
December 14th, 2017, 06:43 AM
I hate the Arial family.

MR2 Fan
December 14th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I hate the Arial family.

Don't watch the documentary "Helvetica" then, or it will drive you mad

balki
December 14th, 2017, 07:16 AM
What are you guys implying!?!
Calibri is the best non-monospaced font

21Kid
December 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Turns out Pee Wee Herman is one of the Hollywood men who could keep his hands to himself.
:lol:
I see what you did there.

Leon
December 14th, 2017, 10:38 AM
[golf clap]

Well played sir.

MR2 Fan
December 14th, 2017, 11:49 AM
(it was posted elsewhere)

Drachen596
December 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah i originally saw it on Reddit but figured it deserved a posting here as well.

Cam
December 28th, 2017, 04:59 AM
I found an old iPhone that looks like it was shot out of a cannon. I plugged it into my charger and, by some miracle, it still works. With no security code it was no problem to go into the mail app and get the owner's e-mail address. Scary that I have access to a bunch of her personal data. Because I am a gentleman, I did not look through any of her stuff. I just got her e-mail. However, I could not help but see she has 2,500 unread messages. :lol:

tigeraid
December 28th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Massively scaled back facebook today, trying my best to not use it. Un-followed everything, un-liked everything, disabled Newsfeed. Stayed on so people can get a hold of me and still have Messenger. Was getting worried about what it was doing to my brain, my attention span, my inability to focus. Plenty of studies done already, and all of them scarily coming true for me--the need to check every 30 seconds, the endorphin rush from getting Likes and comments, the need to reply and comment on things that no one's gonna read anyway... The need to constantly scroll down the Newsfeed all day long. Here's hoping it works.

Jason
December 28th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Facebook can be incredibly depressing, I use it a lot less than I used to. The fact is, most people only share their positive moments online... which makes it seem like everyone else is living perfect lives, which can be hard to see all the time.

dodint
December 28th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I've withdrawn from Facebook almost entirely. I use it mostly to communicate with my classmates. I never once made a post about my Mustang, track days, and now the DMC. I just don't see the point, everyone cares about their own shit, why would I burden other people with mine?

MR2 Fan
December 28th, 2017, 12:03 PM
I only follow about 3-4 people of my 300 friends on there and mostly use it to follow news feeds of groups I'm interested in....rarely post stuff of my own unless it's really important.

George
December 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Never had any interest in FB. I was off the internet for about three years in the 2000s decade. When I left, there were forums like these and mailing lists and other fairly anonymous places to hang out. When I returned, everyone was on MySpace and Facebook and LinkedIn and wherever else with their real identities, photos of themselves and their families, and other very personal information posted for the whole world to see. I realize the irony of posting here with my real first name but not wanting to be on FB, but I figure prospective employers and others looking for information about me won't find it here, whereas FB is like a giant flashing neon arrow pointing to you. No thanks.

Cam
December 28th, 2017, 12:31 PM
I only use FB to see what my friends are up to. I don't "like" pages. I hide every content aggregator, every failblog, every BS LOL OMG this is funny, etc. web site as possible so I only see personal content. Yes, I only post positive things because who wants to hear about problems? I like to put smiles on peoples' faces not be a Debbie Downer.

dodint
December 28th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Cam hates real talk.

Jason
December 28th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Yes, I only post positive things because who wants to hear about problems? I like to put smiles on peoples' faces not be a Debbie Downer.

Because it makes other people seem human and have faults as well, frankly. If all you see is how AMAZING and WONDERFUL everyone else's life is, while yours has imperfections, it makes you think that you suck at life. Is it logical? No. But it happens a lot, and it happens to me sometimes. I recognize it's not all that healthy for me, so I don't participate nearly as much as I used to.

Short article on what I'm talking about: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/04/08/new-study-links-facebook-to-depression-but-now-we-actually-understand-why/

Obviously if you don't have any mental weaknesses, this doesn't impact you. But for a great many, sites like Facebook can be a minefield.

Cam
December 28th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I will keep that in mind.

If it makes you feel better, we are ridiculously in credit card debt from building my workshop. :sadbanana:

Jason
December 28th, 2017, 03:40 PM
I will clarify, I'm not telling you to specifically post negative things... just that posting negative things isn't necessarily bad, especially with people you consider friends.

Hopefully the debt works out in the spend money to make money way, you're doing some damned awesome work from what I've seen :up:

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Remember when everyone was like "how can facebook make money, it's free?!"

Yeah, those were the good 'ol days.

Now every 5 out of 6 things on the news feed is either and ad or some content stealing aggregator bullshit.

Usually my friends' posts are just reposts from instagram anyway.

Only thing I really find useful is certain groups. I'm in a couple for Superdukes, one for local 86/BRZs, and one specifically for the turbo kit I bought for my BRZ. They can be very helpful, and you can get answers to questions much quicker than forums, and usually clearer too.

Godson
December 29th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Interesting thing about psychology.

The reason why people mostly put up positive things is to create a positive feeling environment to help cover up the deep sadness they may be feeling. They will read over the positive things to make the overall day feel more happy.

However, just like with drugs, once you have the happy on a regular basis, a general good day tastes more bland. Hence why you go back to it.

I use Facebook for the purpose of bs videos and staying up to date with my friends. I don't take it seriously.

Cam
December 29th, 2017, 09:01 AM
How do you say, "My life is pretty good." without sounding like you're gloating?

Kchrpm
December 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM
I think you say "I have these good things happening, and these less than good things happening, but overall my life is pretty good."

Also, to be fair, the people who feel lesser than because of how well other people are doing are basically causing self-inflicting wounds. They should be teaching themselves, either personally or with professional/group help, to not compare themselves to the outward projection of others, whether positive or negative, but to only focus on that which fulfills them and deepens their connection with themselves and others. Anything else can usually be noticed and then dismissed, just as we dismiss so many other things for so many reasons every day of our lives.

CudaMan
December 30th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Only thing I really find useful is certain groups. I'm in a couple for Superdukes, one for local 86/BRZs, and one specifically for the turbo kit I bought for my BRZ. They can be very helpful, and you can get answers to questions much quicker than forums, and usually clearer too.
They can be useful, but I think they've done more harm than good.

#1, good information for car repairs/upgrades/etc is lost to the ether of the internet. A forum is a far superior place to archive and search for this stuff. It helps a lot more people, especially those who aren't super into that specific car or area of interest at the right time to catch the good info. [Related, one of my pet peeves is getting promising Google results for a car problem on a forum, only to see the OP never updates the thread with the solution.]

#2, with FB groups it's hard to have the right balance between tumbleweeds and too many people resulting in extraneous chat that distracts from the good information.

I think FB groups are best for meetups and such. They've done a lot of harm to forums I think.

drew
December 30th, 2017, 12:47 PM
How do you say, "My life is pretty good." without sounding like you're gloating?

"I don't give a fuck what you think, I'm great. and fuck you"

speedpimp
December 30th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Not enough "Fuck Yous" for that to be a proper Fudrew post.

FaultyMario
December 31st, 2017, 07:55 AM
I dreamt that i logged in to the gtxf and the was a sticky/announcement that it was going off line.

:(

MR2 Fan
December 31st, 2017, 07:56 AM
shit, we've been through, what, 4 or 5 versions of this site so far? even if this one died, another would take its place ;)

drew
December 31st, 2017, 09:06 AM
It may be closer to 7.

Freude am Fahren
December 31st, 2017, 12:11 PM
http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/HYDRANDOM.jpg

Godson
December 31st, 2017, 04:03 PM
That's fucking perfect

Jason
January 1st, 2018, 08:30 AM

MR2 Fan
January 1st, 2018, 11:54 AM
:up:

MR2 Fan
January 3rd, 2018, 12:27 PM
Is Logan Paul Canadian? Can we call him Canadian anyway? I'm tired of Americans going to Japan and doing stupid shit to give the rest of us a bad reputation :mad:

21Kid
January 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM
Is it a bad thing to to into an interview with facial hair?

George
January 3rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
Personal opinion: Shave for the interview. Nobody will fault a guy for being clean-shaven, but someone might think your facial hair is inappropriate or ugly or whatever.

I went to an interview with a full beard a couple years ago, and in a snowstorm, no less. I was brushing snow off my clothes as I came in from the parking lot, and my beard was wet at the start of the interview, since I was ushered directly from the lobby into the interview room where four people waited. I don't think the beard helped any.

drew
January 3rd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Only if the facial hair is actually relocated pubes.

tigeraid
January 3rd, 2018, 01:55 PM
Sorry folks, noticed all the replies days later. FWIW I feel I'm trying to "quit" facebook not because of what's THERE, but because I don't seem to have the self-control to just occasionally visit it, without getting drawn into the mind-numbing, repetitive scroll-and-Like habit. I'm still on a couple of specific groups that I enjoy, and I Follow various music groups and things I need to keep a track of in terms of releases and tours and schedules.

For me, it was about my irrational need to know what EVERYONE was talking about at ALL TIMES of the day about EVERY subject. And if I missed out on some conversation, or some opinion, or some chance to GIVE my opinion, I'd feel that stab of guilt/jealousy/depression/anger/exasperation. And I think facebook counts on this, to make you want to be MORE addicted to it. You notice how the News Feed always defaults to "Top Stories" now instead of "Most Recent"? I think that's on purpose, to show you conversations that you missed. Big long threads, sometimes I saw ones that were 2-3 days old, with hundreds of comments. And all I could think was "OH FUCK, my group spent all last night talking about Army of Darkness--I'm A HUGE Army of Darkness fan! I'm the GREATEST Army of Darkness fan, and I missed out on the chance to TELL EVERYONE WHAT I KNOW AND THINK!" .... So maybe I'll obsessively crawl the newsfeed more often, so that doesn't happen!

My hope is that I will make my News Feed boring enough that on the odd time I DO visit, I'll only participate for a minute or so and then exit. It's worked so far, I think.

Drachen596
January 4th, 2018, 12:23 AM
My favorite item of the week so far in the news?

Oregon allowing self serve gas pumps under certain conditions and the freak outs people seem to be having over it. Apparently only a trained fueling technician should ever put gasoline into a cars tank via a pumping mechanism. No untrained savages like live in 48 of the 50 US States.

tigeraid
January 4th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I once had some 15 year old monkey spray 94 octane all over the rear bumper of my '69 Firebird. Trained savages are usually worse. I try to interrupt them and do it myself if I made the mistake of pulling into a Full Service.

George
January 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Apparently only a trained fueling technician should ever put gasoline into a cars tank via a pumping mechanism.

Them union boys in New Jersey know how to handle this sort of thing. You don't see people there pumping their own gas, do ya?

A fella could have an accident, knowwhatImean?

MR2 Fan
January 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I posted about that on the Misc car stuff thread, but anyway:

https://i.imgur.com/TzN1sOD.jpg

tigeraid
January 4th, 2018, 12:12 PM

Cam
January 6th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I let the outside taps drip this week since it has been quite cold to keep them from freezing. Yesterday morning, a small bird was taking a shower under one. It was cute.

drew
January 6th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Yw-slayer
January 6th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. JK

Cam
January 6th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Sadly, I was not quick enough. That shit would have went viral!

balki
January 7th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Just Google "fit birds showering", you'll get the idea

What's with weather forecasts? Today's high 21, low 16, currently 6
16>6, what do the mean by "today" then

Kchrpm
January 7th, 2018, 11:32 AM
They usually excuse the overnight times from the daily high/low. I don't know if it means sunrise to sunset, or specific times.

balki
January 8th, 2018, 08:44 AM
That's what i thought; the day either stats at midnight or sunrise, worst case it's noon to noon the next day.
All those scenarios fail; it was below 16 from midnight to noon. This wasn't a one off either, happens about every week or so.

I'll also see forecasts like 30/20 Monday and 45/35 Tuesday, so it makes it seem like at no point will it be 31, 32, 33 or 34° in the next 48 hours, just a very rapid 5° temperature rise

With that said the weather forecasts have been very good these last few years, that and the apps that give you a plotted graph of the hourly precip, wind, temp ... are the tits

SportWagon
January 8th, 2018, 02:39 PM
You know it's really cold when . . .

You get frost on your car's interior rear-view mirror.

Also when a two-liter bottle of pop left in the car's rear footwell freezes solid.

MR2 Fan
January 8th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Also when a two-liter bottle of pop left in the car's rear footwell freezes solid.

that's dangerous

SportWagon
January 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Not really, the bottle is plastic. It just expands and deforms. Oh, it's only Club Soda (low sodium, actually little more than carbonated water), so it wouldn't make too much of a mess even if the contents sprayed around.

George
January 8th, 2018, 02:52 PM

Hey, I remember that from my air-cooled VW days.

Also breath vapor freezing on that too-close windshield. One hand on the steering wheel and an ice scraper in the other. :D

balki
January 9th, 2018, 04:37 AM
They don't make them like they used to
(didn't even know a rear-view mirror could realistically frost over)

dodint
January 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
https://www.naturalnews.com/042950_beaver_butt_natural_flavoring_castoreum.htm l

MR2 Fan
January 10th, 2018, 09:27 AM
ahh.....natural news, always accurate

Drachen596
January 12th, 2018, 09:05 PM
So the winner of that big Megamillions lotto drawing was a 20 year old guy in Florida.

Hope he does things right and doesn't end up on one of those 'he blew all the money and is now homeless' countdowns

novicius
January 13th, 2018, 04:52 AM
"Florida man wins hundreds of millions of dollars in lottery."

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Sad, little man
January 13th, 2018, 07:32 AM
When you specify a size demand on an electronic photo file in terms of dpi, you don't sound classy and fine art, you sound like a fucking idiot.

Freude am Fahren
January 13th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Losing $175M or so (after taxes) would be pretty impressive, even if he does have a long time to do it.

Winding up dead before his 30th birthday is more likely, I'd say.

MR2 Fan
January 13th, 2018, 11:27 AM
I really hate when they release the name of the lottery winner. I'd prefer NOT to make thousands of "new friends" if I won.

dodint
January 13th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Not sure about each particular state but I know that usually that choice is up to the winner.

I too would be anonymous. I would also hire counsel and a CPA and/or money manager before I even redeem.

Godson
January 13th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Not sure about each particular state but I know that usually that choice is up to the winner.

I too would be anonymous. I would also hire counsel and a CPA and/or money manager before I even redeem.

Family in my hometown of Raytown did exactly that. Everything was organized and on paper before they claimed. Quiet brilliant when you think about it.

balki
January 13th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Google says " ... Only six states allow lottery winners to remain anonymous — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina"
That blows.
How do you avoid having the announcement becoming a big thing? It could help to wait until close to the claiming period (usually 12 months), but then you risk losing the winning ticket.
I don't think I could lead a normal life even though that's what I would want.

novicius
January 13th, 2018, 07:59 PM
You have your attorney form an LLC and then they can claim it for you.

dodint
January 13th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Yup.

balki
January 13th, 2018, 10:03 PM
If I ever play the lotto and win a big jackpot I'm buying you guys one of George's craigslist's finds (a gaudy Mopar, me thinks)

Drachen596
January 14th, 2018, 12:07 AM
Trying to fix a water line that froze and popped. Got the stuff I knew I would need.

Then looked at lengths of pipe, thought about getting and didn't before paying and leaving.

Guess what is just a little too short and means that I have to go back to the store on Sunday for.

Godson
January 14th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Measure twice, buy once.

2ndMoparMan
January 14th, 2018, 08:56 AM
A man after my own heart, balki

Yw-slayer
January 14th, 2018, 03:46 PM
What if you bought the lengths of pipe a little at a time?

Dicknose
January 14th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Never gets tired!

Dicknose
January 14th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Last winter I saw frost on a car window... a very rare event here.
My bike displayed a snowflake to warn of black ice (around 3C)
That’s a cold as we get here.
Although we did hit 47C in a suburb of Sydney last week,made it the hottest place of note on the planet that day.
Me - I was playing beach volleyball and my feet were burning in the sand! Interesting to see most of the courts full at 9am but empty by 11am as it was too hot.

21Kid
January 15th, 2018, 11:59 AM
What if you bought the lengths of pipe a little at a time?

Never gets tired!
:lol: It has been a while though.

MR2 Fan
January 15th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Certain parts of grammar mistakes bother the crap out of me.

Apostrophe abuse being one of them. I see CONSTANT situations where people add apostrophes where they don't belong. It's very simple! Apostrophes are only used to imply a contraction.... it's is short for it is, and for showing ownership.....Bob's truck.

However, I'm seeing pretty much anything that has an "S" at the end and if it implies more than one of something, people add apostrophes! like "I have strawberrie's"....WTF??? Strawberries don't own anything.

SportWagon
January 16th, 2018, 03:29 PM
I used "it's" for it is. ("You know it is really cold...")

I did however, make use of inanimate possession ("car's interior rear-view mirror"), something someone who grew up in Hong Kong once told us was an example of something he had been taught, in his English classes, should not be used, but which he observed English-speakers here made fairly regular use of.

(Ooh! Look what I just did now!).

MR2 Fan
January 16th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I used "it's" for it is. ("You know it is really cold...")

I did however, make use of inanimate possession ("car's interior rear-view mirror"), something someone who grew up in Hong Kong once told us was an example of something he had been taught, in his English classes, should not be used, but which he observed English-speakers here made fairly regular use of.

(Ooh! Look what I just did now!).

inanimate object possession is fine from what I was taught...here in Florida, so take that for what it's worth :p

Freude am Fahren
January 16th, 2018, 04:26 PM
I think that is fine.

Something I like is that the singular "They" is now an acceptable use for a pronoun of a person when the gender is unknown (ex: "Someone left their lights on"). Always being taught that it could only be used as a plural was annoying, since it fits in normal speech so well, and using "one" or "his or her" is a pain in the ass.

This is going by AP stylebook guidance, which is pretty much all that governs media grammar.

MR2 Fan
January 17th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Is this a new thing where you hear people say RIP (Rest in Peace), but instead of saying the letters R.I.P. like normal people, they just say "rip". Sounds weird and I don't know when that started.

Dicknose
January 17th, 2018, 01:58 PM
People actually say “Arh eye pee”? That’s as many syllables as rest in peace!
Ok not as bad as “www”, which is more effort than World Wide Web!

Kchrpm
January 17th, 2018, 02:15 PM
In my gaming lately, people say "rip" all the time whenever any negative/bad thing happens. I never hear it used like that for an actual death.

George
January 17th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Back in high school or whenever we guys talked/obsessed about cars, nitrous oxide was something we read about in car magazines. I don't think anyone had it, but we called it "nitrous", as in, "Dude, is your Dad going to let you put nitrous in the station wagon?!"

My son pronounces it "nos", to rhyme with boss or sauce. I think he was selecting it for some block-mobile in a Minecraft mod or Roblox or something like that. I had to ask him about three times what he was saying, since "nos" wasn't a word I knew.

21Kid
January 17th, 2018, 05:40 PM
See: Fast & Furious

dodint
January 17th, 2018, 05:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ACRES8v.jpg

balki
January 17th, 2018, 07:42 PM
lol at the last 3 posts.
If it was anyone but george I'd say he was trolling

sandydandy
January 18th, 2018, 07:50 PM
I did a Google image search on Blue Waffle today. Made me think of Wendy from Breaking Bad.

CudaMan
January 18th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Nitrous Oxide Systems. NOS. Made by Holley (https://www.holley.com/products/nitrous/). Maybe you've heard of them George. :D

In my gaming lately, people say "rip" all the time whenever any negative/bad thing happens.
Effing gamer kids these days. ;) I once had someone type "kys" in chat to me after I won a race in GT Sport. I had to look up what that meant later. It's short for Kill Yourself. That's messed up if kids are going around saying that to each other in chat/text in any context.

dodint
January 19th, 2018, 03:52 AM
kys
f u faaaaaag
diaf

All just part of playing Rocket League, unfortunately. Usually I am winning when that stuff happens, though, so whatever. The only time it bothers me a little is when they say something I did was lucky. Get out, I'm awesome at RL. ;)

Cam
January 19th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Crap like that is easy to ignore. :shrug:

dodint
January 19th, 2018, 05:45 AM
Yeah, RL has a Report mechanism but I don't really care. If it bothered me I'd have both voice and chat muted.

GT:S is a little different though. Some guy tracked me down after a race on PSN and asked if I was retarded after he rearended me on the last lap. :lol:

Cam
January 19th, 2018, 06:09 AM
If someone is disparaging to minorities (racial slur, etc.), I will go out of my way to report them.

dodint
January 19th, 2018, 06:18 AM
I don't see a lot of racial stuff on RL. Homophobia, sure, but it seems so juvenile that I don't even really acknowledge it as actual hate. Maybe I should, I dunno. Race and Sex is so ambiguous on there any derogatory comments just come across as infantile rather than hurtful. Maybe it's not the same way for everyone.

Cam
January 19th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Sorry if I was not clear. I include homophobic stuff in my report repertoire.

George
January 19th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Nitrous Oxide Systems. NOS. Made by Holley (https://www.holley.com/products/nitrous/). Maybe you've heard of them George. :D

Of course I have. They've been around forever.

I just didn't know it was pronounced "nos", that's all. I guess in my mind the company was called Enn Oh Ess.

"Rip" reminded me of "nos", since I pronounce (or "think") the three letters rather than making it an acronym like scuba or fubar.

sandydandy
January 21st, 2018, 06:05 PM
Kids say the darndest things. This morning my four-year-old niece asked me if I was sleeping with her mom.

My jaw fell off.

Leon
January 21st, 2018, 07:36 PM
Damn, how did she know!?!

:P

Godson
January 21st, 2018, 07:38 PM
Kids say the darndest things. This morning my four-year-old niece asked me if I was sleeping with her mom.

My jaw fell off.

Well, are you?

sandydandy
January 22nd, 2018, 05:02 AM
Damn, how did she know!?!

:P Seriously. Kids today are very sharp, can’t get anything past them.

Well, are you? But of course...not. Haha.

What happened was she slept over with my daughter in her room, along with her sister. Her parents, (my wife’s brother and his wife), slept in our room, and we slept in my son’s room. She must’ve woken up and saw her mom in my bed, and naturally assumed it was me next to her.

I went to check on the girls in the morning and she asked me, “were you sleeping with my mom?”

“Uhh”

Wife chimed in, “no, silly”.

“So then who’s that man next to my mom?”

“Your daddy!”

It was awkward, but thought provoking.

CudaMan
January 22nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Crap like that is easy to ignore. :shrug:

For adults yeah. I was thinking if kids are texting things like this (or saying it) to each other over stuff that isn't important... well some kid with a fragile sense of self might take it too seriously you know?

21Kid
January 22nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
I've seen stuff on the news about 12-13 yr olds committing suicide, due to stuff like that. :(

SportWagon
January 22nd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Sorry if I was not clear. I include homophobic stuff in my report repertoire.
Out-of-context, that doesn't read the way you probably want...

Cam
January 22nd, 2018, 05:14 PM
:P

George
January 24th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Rant of the moment:

The next time a cashier tries to hand me my change and receipt in a stack with the receipt on the bottom, bills on top of that, and then a pile of change precariously balanced on top, I'm going to stop and say, "No. Let me teach you how to do this the right way, since obviously NO ONE EVER HAS. The change comes first so I don't drop it. Then bills. And then that ridiculously long receipt for just one or two items."

I have never said this, but I have been wanting to do so for a long time. Today was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think some of these people must have been dropped on their heads as babies. Sheesh.

Well, at least they're working. Or trying to.

George
January 24th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Rant of the moment:

The next time a cashier tries to hand me my change and receipt in a stack with the receipt on the bottom, bills on top of that, and then a pile of change precariously balanced on top, I'm going to stop and say, "No. Let me teach you how to do this the right way, since obviously NO ONE EVER HAS. The change comes first so I don't drop it. Then bills. And then that ridiculously long receipt for just one or two items."

I have never said this to a cashier, but I have been wanting to do so for a long time. Today was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think some of these people must have been dropped on their heads as babies. Sheesh.

Well, at least they're working. Or trying to.

Yw-slayer
January 24th, 2018, 03:22 PM
I think I it should be bills, receipt, then coins. I can see why she did what she did.

Then again, you should just go cashless whenever you can. #octopus #contactless

Cam
January 24th, 2018, 03:48 PM
When you have a wonderful life partner (spouse) being away from them for a significant amount of time sucks. Lori has been gone six weeks already and she won't be back for three more weeks. :(

dodint
January 24th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Sorry, Cam. Ash and I have/do spend a lot of time apart. It's something that I thought would get easier with age, but it doesn't. I was musing at some Afghanistan assignments that popped up at my agency and job series that would send me over there for another year and would be lucrative. It's not worth it, to me, anymore. I'd rather just be home.

I also think it's a lot easier to be the one that leaves than the one left behind. You're a good husband in supporting her.

speedpimp
January 24th, 2018, 04:12 PM
George, feel happy that she knew how to make correct change.

21Kid
January 24th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I assumed people were taught to do that because the coins hold down the money/receipt in case of wind, etc...

Cam
January 25th, 2018, 03:53 AM
Yeah, in my opinion, it is not a marriage/partnership if you are not together. I know a married couple who live in different countries. He lives in California and she lives in British Columbia. :erm: When Lori and I were engaged, I lived in Prince Edward Island and she lived in California. We did this for a year. I was so depressed that I would start crying if I heard a song that reminded me of her.

Yeah, dodint, I don't know how military families do it. Tough. You have my respect.

mk
January 25th, 2018, 09:45 AM
PS4 and around here.

NTSC DVD is a no go.

novicius
January 25th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Inscrutable as always, mk! :lol: :up:

George
January 25th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Bah. You guys who want the change on top of the bills are clearly demented. :p

Here's the current, problematic process just about everywhere lately:

1. Hand over some folding money

2. Pick up purchased items in one hand, turn toward the direction of the exit, and reach back with the other hand open, palm up to receive change.

3. Receive unwieldy pyramid of paperwork with scattering of coins on top that cannot be contained with one hand alone.

That's not how it used to work. Cashiers used to put the coins in your hand, and then count back the bills, and then offer a small, reasonably-sized receipt. This way, the coins were securely in your palm before the greenbacks landed. Sometimes I'd even have time to slam-dunk the coins in a front pocket and then shoot my hand back up to grab the bills while they were still being counted.

Now they hand you three feet of receipt, two and a half of which are filled with nonsense about filling out online surveys and winning prizes, when in fact what they want is clueless rubes who will key in their own personal information directly into the corporation's database. Then they pile the bills on top, sticking out in every direction, and then pour coins all over the pile, like hot fudge over a sundae.

I tell ya, I need to find a friend of questionable scruples to start up the old "wrong bill" scam again. In addition to not understanding how gravity works, many cashiers I see these days stuff the customers' bill(s) right into the drawer first, and then start making change.

They'll be the rubes now, once I get screw up my courage enough to get my grift on again: "Hey, I gave you a twenty. You're giving me change for a ten!" :mad:

You guys know that scam, right - with the accomplice and a $20 with a phone number or some other identifiable things written on it? Good times. :lol:

sandydandy
January 27th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I went to my first ever basketball game last night. Toronto Raptors vs Utah Jazz. It was fantastic. The players look huge compared to what you see on TV. Had great, really expensive seats, (for which I paid zero dollars, my friend got them from work), sixth row up from the premium courtside seats, where the 1% live.

Last month I went to my very first hockey game, which was fun as well, but I’d say basketball is definitely more exciting to watch live than hockey.

That being said, my passion will always be baseball. Hockey and basketball are great and exciting, but I’ll always prefer to watch baseball live, hands down.

MR2 Fan
January 27th, 2018, 04:49 PM
My mother got front row seats to an Orlando Magic game back in the glory days with Shaq and Penny....was a lot of fun. Also someone handed me tickets one day at the parking garage where I worked the next year, Magic vs. the Bulls....yes, THOSE bulls with Michael Jordan.

The magic lost, but anyway, I watched a game with the legends!

sandydandy
January 28th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Hmm, you saw Jordan, but I saw perhaps the next Jordan: Donovan Mitchell of the Jazz. This kid was a motherfucker the other night...kicked our asses good. Everyone gasped every time he held the ball. He's clearly rookie of the year, and much stardom awaits him in the coming years.

dodint
January 28th, 2018, 09:36 AM
He doesn't play for the Cavs, Cavs, Cavs, Warriors, or Celtics so ESPN has never heard of him.

sandydandy
January 28th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Bah. ESPN is fake news.

Cam
January 28th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Cam
January 29th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Both times my lady has been to Antarctica, numerous guys at the station have constantly flirted with her and hit on her. I think it's hilarious, as I trust her implicitly and I'm proud of her that she is so attractive. :lol: However, it has to be tough to deal with constant unwanted advances.

Cam
January 30th, 2018, 04:45 PM
My neighbours' yard stinks. It is a difficult smell to describe. It's a combination of cigarettes, garbage and mildew or something... just filth. They have a dog that never gets walked and barks often, thankfully not enough to bother me while I'm in the house. One of my wife's coworkers knows them. They're TSA agents, both chain smokers and, apparently, alcoholics. She also says they own another house in a nearby neighbourhood that is so hoarded full of junk that they cannot live in it. They are a petty annoyance, but still an annoyance.

CudaMan
January 30th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Annoying neighbors are no fun. Most of mine are pretty cool. There's the one lady next door who seems a little off and leaves her dog either locked in the garage or it chooses to stay in the garage instead of the back yard. It barks at everything through the grated vent near the floor. Which is right next to my living room. Thankfully that's where my home theater is so if I'm there I can just crank some tunes to solve the problem. :lol: It's more annoying if I'm washing the car or doing yard work. Bark bark bark!

Leon
January 30th, 2018, 09:38 PM
My new neighbour (townhouse / semi detached) is a bit strange.

I'd guess she's mid 30's or so, from what I can gather her aunt bought the house, and she rents it from her.

But she is tending towards nervous chat, and over sharing information. According to her, she can suffer from a bit of anxiety, so if I knock on her door and she doesn't answer the door, she might just be hiding from existence. I definitely get the impression that she is a bit high strung.

George
January 31st, 2018, 09:08 AM
Bark bark bark!

Our next door neighbors have two Schnauzers that I detest. The couple that lives there is cool, but I have to wonder why they keep those dogs. When they're in their back yard and I or anyone in my family steps out into our back yard, they bark non-stop until dragged into the house (and bravo for their humans for bringing them in). It sort of pisses me off that I'm in MY yard and not THEIR yard and am getting barked at. Bark if I step over the line, but until then, shaddap!

But what makes me feel sorry for the couple is they have a narrow, vertical glass window about one dog wide beside their front door. Sometimes when I'm on the sidewalk or street in front of that house, I can see and hear the dogs pushing and shoving and jumping over each other to get in front for the best view, and the whole time both are barking like crazy.

I don't know how the people who own those dogs can stand it inside the house every time someone walks by.

TheBenior
January 31st, 2018, 10:08 AM
When he's in the yard, my dog barks at people in the alley, and in the yards next to us if he hasn't been pet by said people before.

He'll also bark at people walking past out front if we've got the front window open. Car doors being closed will cause him to either let out a low growl or gruff.

CudaMan
January 31st, 2018, 07:49 PM
The passive aggressive solution is to wait until the neighbors aren't home and slip a bark collar in their mailbox. :lol:

Alan P
February 1st, 2018, 02:40 PM
My partial nutjob ex wife is now splitting from her Muslim husband who moved from Morocco. After having two kids with him. So she's now up to 6 kids in total, from four different fathers. She's now over 40 and, I get the impression, still doesn't know what she wants. That and I think she likes babies.

Leon
February 1st, 2018, 02:55 PM
This seems like a trainwreck you're well rid of.

Godson
February 1st, 2018, 04:12 PM
My partial nutjob ex wife is now splitting from her Muslim husband who moved from Morocco. After having two kids with him. So she's not up to 6 kids in total, from four different fathers. She's now over 40 and, I get the impression, still doesn't know what she wants. That and I think she likes babies.

Shit like this is why I'm ok with being single and no kids.

drew
February 3rd, 2018, 04:59 AM
This is why I have cats, and a girlfriend that doesn't even consider kids (that and we're both in our 40s).

speedpimp
February 3rd, 2018, 11:29 AM
Got a call Weds morning from my aunt in Missouri telling me that my uncle was in the hospital with heart failure. Got another call Weds. night with more details about his condition. Since he doesn't have contact with either of his sons I volunteered to pass the info along, which I did. Got a call yesterday afternoon from my aunt saying she was waiting on test results to see whether or not he could come home or not("with restrictions"). Got a call last night saying that he was home. Passed the news along to my cousins, unsure whether or not they got in touch with him or not. Pretty sure my uncle's restrictions will be no working and no smoking. Given my family's history of following others "recommendations", anything is possible.
The most impressive thing out of this is probably my aunt. She is basically wheel chair bound, they live an hour from Joplin(where the hospital is), and the closest family is in Kansas City. She was able to drive herself back and forth without a hitch. Though I'm pretty sure she was livid when she was told to go home because there was nothing they could do that day and as soon as she got home she got a call telling her to come back because he might be able to go home.
Main thing is if you aren't close with your parents/siblings, at least make an effort to check up on them if you get news that they're in the hospital.

novicius
February 3rd, 2018, 07:55 PM
Dang, hope he listens, Rich. :toast:

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Yesterday I had to explain the subtle difference between someone that is on the spectrum and someone that grew up overweight and thinks personal attacks are part of normal and accepted behavior because that's how they were treated by so many people for so much of their life.

Random
February 4th, 2018, 07:14 AM
This is why I have cats, and a girlfriend that doesn't even consider kids (that and we're both in our 40s).

I wouldn't pull the goalie yet. :P

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2018, 09:54 PM
He might have it intercepted in mid-field.

SportWagon
February 5th, 2018, 02:38 PM
How did fud end up in his 40's?

speedpimp
February 5th, 2018, 05:19 PM
He Drew upon his survival skills.

21Kid
February 6th, 2018, 11:13 AM
:smh:

balki
February 6th, 2018, 07:54 PM
But does he live a Rich life?

speedpimp
February 7th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Doubt that but I bet you're AL in on the other stuff.

drew
February 14th, 2018, 01:38 PM
How did fud end up in his 40's?

I ask myself the same thing....

I may be 46, but I'm 15 inside, at least my head.

At the very least, 46 doesn't surprise me, 46 and still have all 25 appendages does

Russ, not to be overly personal, but it's the final period. If you catch my drift.

George
February 14th, 2018, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

drew
February 14th, 2018, 02:19 PM
hahaha.

Fuck me, I hate that song.

Thanks George. :up:

SportWagon
February 14th, 2018, 02:57 PM
By a chain of searches.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Leif_Garrett_2017.jpg/200px-Leif_Garrett_2017.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Garrett But actually he's 56.

Ahem. Leif Garrett in Pico Rivera California on October 28, 2017 - Photo by Glenn Francis of www.PacificProDigital.com

Yes I know he's not the original singer of the song you discuss, nor the one in the photo, but...

Hmm. But I had a slightly younger sister, I guess. Of course, I'm conflating him with Shaun Cassidy, too.

Shaun Cassidy's wikipedia pic is not as honest.

George
February 14th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I thought that was Axl Rose at first. :lol:

novicius
February 14th, 2018, 05:10 PM
hahaha.

Fuck me, I hate that song.

Thanks George. :up:
You know, I may be getting old but I'm *really* beginning to turn against Glam/Hair Metal. :smh:

Phil_SS
February 14th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Heathen! What's next........you don't like video games or the color yellow?

Leon
February 14th, 2018, 06:29 PM
You know, I may be getting old

May?

;)

drew
February 15th, 2018, 01:02 AM
You know, I may be getting old but I'm *really* beginning to turn against Glam/Hair Metal. :smh:

Everything on the radio here is an 80s/high school flashback. I was never really a fan of glam/hair bands (Warrant/Winger, etc).

I still listen to Slayer/et al, quite often (as well as shit some people have never heard of).

dodint
February 15th, 2018, 07:28 AM
My mother in law is going to die a few days after cashing her first retirement check. What a kick in the sack. She didn't have some great job she loved until the end, she was a nurse for the county. Avoid this outcome if you can.

George
February 15th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Damn. Sorry to hear this.

novicius
February 15th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Oh man, definitely!!

So sad to read this, Nate. I feel for you & Ash. :(

dodint
February 15th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I'll relay your well wishes. Still holding out hope for a miraculous recovery, was hoping she'd make it through the summer at least. Looking unlikely, though.

FaultyMario
February 15th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Fuuu... that's harsh.

Leon
February 15th, 2018, 10:11 AM
That's terrible, please pass on best wishes from us mob of internet semi-randoms (not you Russ, you're Random not random).

Shit like that really makes you question your priorities in life.

Cam
February 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear. :(

TheBenior
February 15th, 2018, 02:11 PM

speedpimp
February 15th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Sorry Nate.

dodint
February 15th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Thanks folks. It's been a rough year, my FIL passed in July as well. My moved back to PA in early 2017 to be closer to family and both of her parents got sick (relatively) immediately. We're both happy to be here but the timing is brutal.

She has been stabilized and is coming home for hospice, so at least she will die at home in peace with the ones she loved instead of in a cold hospital. Small favor.

Godson
February 15th, 2018, 04:15 PM
One thing I have learned in the last few years.

Life doesn't fucking care.

Keep your head up.

novicius
February 16th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Everything on the radio here is an 80s/high school flashback. I was never really a fan of glam/hair bands (Warrant/Winger, etc).

I still listen to Slayer/et al, quite often (as well as shit some people have never heard of).
I was never a fan of glam/hair metal, and shit like Poison/Warrant/etc. always caught flak from me. #metallicafan

Then after college it was fun to clown around during karaoke singing that sappy inane shit. Harmless and hilarious. :toast:

But now I'm back to ugh... :smh: :lol:

Heathen! What's next........you don't like video games or the color yellow?
Damn! You cold, man. ;)

MR2 Fan
February 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Google Image search removes the "View Image" option due to some issue with Getty Images.....this is stupid

George
February 16th, 2018, 09:55 AM
You can still search images at Duck Duck Go.

http://i1.wp.com/www.retrogamescollector.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Nintendo-Game-Boy-yellow.jpg?fit=960%2C960

MR2 Fan
February 16th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Freude am Fahren
February 16th, 2018, 12:18 PM
"Today we're launching some changes on Google Images to help connect users and useful websites. This will include removing the View Image button. The Visit button remains, so users can see images in the context of the webpages they're on."

I hate PR speak.

Alan P
February 18th, 2018, 02:34 PM
God the utterly pretentious and relentless positivity around Black panther on Reddit is beginning to drain me of all hope. I suggested that it wasn't a great film, was very safe and didn't take any risks but I still enjoyed it and next thing I'm like some kind of Leper for daring to say my (and others from what I've read elsewhere) opinion. it's beginning to bore me.

dodint
February 18th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Ah, it's getting the female Ghostbusters treatment, except it's an actual decent movie. Bummer.

G'day Mate
February 18th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Ok, time to jump into this thread and say something (without reading a single other thing in this whole thread ...)

I just changed my Facebook profile picture from a photo of Jonah sitting on the road under duress because apparently someone could take it the wrong way. The road was completely closed when I took the picture, and as far as I'm concerned anyone who thinks I'd plonk a baby down on the road like that either thinks I'm an idiot or is an idiot themselves, so either way I don't to waste my time worrying about what those people think. Apparently though there's cases of people being visited by police after being reported for such things so I've removed it from being public at least.

I fucking love that picture. Oh well.

Godson
February 18th, 2018, 06:17 PM
The current one is pretty damned good though!

Cam
February 18th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Ok, time to jump into this thread and say something (without reading a single other thing in this whole thread ...)

This is where people say things, not read them. ;)

G'day Mate
February 19th, 2018, 12:25 AM

Tyler - that was me teaching him to watch test cricket

Godson
February 19th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Dude, I love that photo.

MR2 Fan
February 21st, 2018, 08:25 PM
if you put an emphasis on being pathetic, do you become empathetic?

Dicknose
February 21st, 2018, 11:47 PM
Did a similar “middle of road” photo when looking after my mates two young boys. Closed road in National Park.
Except I just sent it as sms to their mum. She had minor panic for two seconds then knew I’m way too serious on looking out for the kids to do anything dumb.
Probably would have posted it to FB except they are not my kids.

So yeah - I loved that shot of yours!

Godson
February 22nd, 2018, 10:34 AM
What is it? I wanna see!!

Godson
February 23rd, 2018, 09:06 PM
Why won't my ex just leave me alone?

Oh yeah. She alienated everyone she worked with and I was one of the few who stuck around to be nice.

FML

drew
February 24th, 2018, 12:35 AM
That'll teach you..:p

You should have shot a load on her face while she was sleeping, right before you went to work.

MR2 Fan
February 24th, 2018, 03:12 PM
youtube is fucking crazy if they think it's ok to start a video with an "ad" in front that's 3 HOURS LONG!

I had it set up to autoplay music and noticed this stupid ad about creating websites was playing in front of one of the songs....then saw the time is freaking 3 hours! insane.

Drachen596
February 24th, 2018, 06:23 PM
My favorite ones are the movie trailer before the exact same movie trailer.

mk
February 25th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Around here the tube has it right alter the movie.

George
February 26th, 2018, 11:37 AM
I hate AT&T.

I've had to call them many times over the years for my job(s). Their nearly-impossible-to-reach-a-human phone system and their employees' attitudes, when and IF you can actually get a live human on the phone - at the PHONE COMPANY - gets worse and worse every time I call.

F*ck them. All of them. :angry:

G'day Mate
February 27th, 2018, 02:43 AM
Don't lose your wallet before you need to get on a plane for an interstate work trip

tigeraid
February 27th, 2018, 05:36 AM
I'm rethinking the relocation for work up North based simply on the two choices for radio station at the new store: Cunt-ry and olde tyme rock and roll. :mad:

George
February 28th, 2018, 09:10 AM
^ Internet radio for the win, IF you can find one that doesn't play 1-877-KARS-FOR-KIDS jingles three times per hour.

tigeraid
February 28th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Convincing the old people here to listen to that may be difficult.

George
February 28th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Here are a few to get you started there:

https://www.slacker.com/artist/lawrence-welk

https://www.last.fm/tag/1920s

http://www.wrjqradio.com/

George
February 28th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I'm going skiing this weekend for the first time since 2012, I think. :eek:

I simply cannot believe it has been that long. How do six years blow by like that?

Oh yeah. Work and kids. :twitch:

tigeraid
February 28th, 2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.last.fm/tag/1920s

speedpimp
February 28th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Give Sirius a try.

The Kars 4 Kids are shit, but as annoying as they are, Term Life Providers "Big Lou" life insurance commercials are the worst. "Big Lou's like you, but he's only on #2." or "Big Lou's like you, he's on meds too." Piss me off every time I hear them. But at least they quit using a person with an annoying ass New Yawk accent to play Big Lou.

Freude am Fahren
February 28th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I heard Big Lou for the first time the other day (new car has free trial). I couldn't help but laugh.

Yw-slayer
February 28th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Don't lose your wallet before you need to get on a plane for an interstate work trip

Ah, there was the time my friend used one of the many ios bugs out there to crash his friend's iphone before he got on the plane, hence making it impossible for him to access his digital boarding pass. Good times! :lol:

Cam
March 1st, 2018, 01:47 AM
If you put your dog out at 5 am and let it bark for an hour, you are an asshole.

novicius
March 1st, 2018, 06:00 AM
:lol: :up:

G'day Mate
March 3rd, 2018, 01:54 PM
I'm going skiing this weekend for the first time since 2012, I think. :eek:

I simply cannot believe it has been that long. How do six years blow by like that?

Oh yeah. Work and kids. :twitch:

It's been ... four for me? Too long.

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2018, 08:24 PM
I was talking with my sister about that yesterday. We grew up skiing like every weekend in New England. She hasn't been in three seasons (mild winter, pregnant, pregnant again). I haven't been in probably 6-7 years (but it was a long trip with friends to Breckenridge, so it was awesome).

George
March 6th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Skiing update: Hell yeah I can still ski! :rawk: We went here: www.skiloveland.com

Who wants to discuss sammiches?

https://i.imgur.com/GBZOyBn.jpg

TheBenior
March 6th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I've never thought pictures of kids with food all over their faces were cute. I thought that might be different if they were my kids.

After having a kid, I still don't think it's cute when kids have food all over their faces.

dodint
March 6th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Hah

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2018, 01:53 PM
I really don't want to have kids....and I'm going to sound terrible for this, but I'll hear people saying things like "I have to put my son to bed", and I think "doesn't he know where it is? I mean he sleeps there every night", or having the awkward bathroom situations in public restrooms.

I'm just too selfish with my time and energy, even to have a girlfriend right now, I'm too happy by myself and focusing on technology that I can troubleshoot (I cannot troubleshoot women, I've tried)

Freude am Fahren
March 6th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Seriously. Three of my closest friends (well 4, since two of them are a couple) all had/are having babies in the past week/any day now*. Our group text is filled with talk of not sleeping, missing other friends weddings, and breast feeding.

We all used to get together at least once a month. No more.

The world does NOT need any more humans.

Do your part! Don't Procreate!

(*I'm still not sure if they didn't have a baby-making orgy one weekend. And am a little upset I wasn't invited to spice things up, and get on Maury)

Leon
March 6th, 2018, 04:27 PM
It's okay, Nigel has had all the kids, so you don't need to :)

Freude am Fahren
March 6th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Moving on, a bill to change Florida to be like AZ, and skip out on DST has passed the legislature. I think it needs the okay from the governor, and then a federal congressional thing to happen. I would love it. Sunsets would never be before about 6:30 p.m. I would get out of work an hour earlier during the fall/winter, since our programming would still be based on EDT (though I would have to come in 'earlier', but that's okay, unless they decide to add an extra newscast at 11p.m. FST/12EDT, or whatever).

Part of the panhandle is in central, so I wonder if they would continue with DST, and just move in sync with the rest of the state half the year, or be effectively in MST?

dodint
March 6th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Ash and I are firmly in the no kids for us group. Just not for us.

Tis why I married her.

G'day Mate
March 6th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I like my kid, but he sure consumes a lot of time!

tigeraid
March 7th, 2018, 08:02 AM
We're basically the only couple we know, in our circle of friends AND both our immediate and extended families, who don't have kids and don't want them.

The questions and annoying jokes are starting to get really stale.

dodint
March 7th, 2018, 08:05 AM
My Mom had 7 brothers and sisters; Catholic family. She had three kids. Of those three kids, one grandchild has been made. We're pretty sure that's going to be it, as I'm not having kids, my brother isn't, and my sister is one and done.

None of us are Catholic, either, including my Mom. heh.

Drachen596
March 7th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Moving on, a bill to change Florida to be like AZ, and skip out on DST has passed the legislature. I think it needs the okay from the governor, and then a federal congressional thing to happen. I would love it. Sunsets would never be before about 6:30 p.m. I would get out of work an hour earlier during the fall/winter, since our programming would still be based on EDT (though I would have to come in 'earlier', but that's okay, unless they decide to add an extra newscast at 11p.m. FST/12EDT, or whatever).

Part of the panhandle is in central, so I wonder if they would continue with DST, and just move in sync with the rest of the state half the year, or be effectively in MST?

When Indiana didn't do DST part of the areas still did because of their locations and where most of their residents worked. Mostly near Chicago and a couple areas down in Southern Indiana.

There's some politician bitching to try and put us on Central time instead of Eastern right now. Don't think it will go anywhere really.

speedpimp
March 8th, 2018, 12:39 PM
It was the Cincy and Louisville suburbs. Leave it on Eastern time (https://www.wthr.com/article/state-lawmakers-propose-moving-indiana-to-central-time-zone). Why does that matter to me? Because I work in Michigan.

Leon
March 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I have no kids.

But given that I'm single, I don't exactly face pressure to procreate ;)

Drachen596
March 8th, 2018, 07:17 PM
It was the Cincy and Louisville suburbs. Leave it on Eastern time (https://www.wthr.com/article/state-lawmakers-propose-moving-indiana-to-central-time-zone). Why does that matter to me? Because I work in Michigan.

Thank goodness there are no actual important things these idiots in Indy could be working on instead... All this crying over time zones. Its not like all the counties will change to Central anyways, ones with Ohio or Michigan are going ot want to stay Eastern.

Cam
March 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Pretty much all I do is work in the garage and edit vids on the computer. I have no idea what day it is anymore. Earlier today, I was notified by FB that I had an art thing to attend tonight. I’m like, “What, it’s Thursday?” :lol: :(

MR2 Fan
March 9th, 2018, 06:16 AM
I had an idea...sort of....

Why not have packaging for food that requires you to burn more calories to open the package than the food/candy/whatever inside? I'm guessing the amount of calories required to be burned would be waaay too much though.

tigeraid
March 9th, 2018, 06:43 AM
I had an idea...sort of....

Why not have packaging for food that requires you to burn more calories to open the package than the food/candy/whatever inside? I'm guessing the amount of calories required to be burned would be waaay too much though.

I think you'd be drastically over-estimating what kind of calories are burned with basic tasks using your hands.

ie. A typical homemade white-bread PB&J sandwich is about 300 calories. That's 25 minutes of running at 5mph, or a 1 hour brisk walk. Or, if you prefer a typical weight lifting session, about two hours. So whatever packaging you're talking about would probably have to require two hours of very hard labour to rip open.

George
March 9th, 2018, 07:05 AM
Ain't nobody got time for that!

balki
March 9th, 2018, 10:23 AM
... about 300 calories. That's 25 minutes of running at 5mph, or a 1 hour brisk walk. Or, if you prefer a typical weight lifting session, about two hours...
is it me or does weight lifting end up being the best calorie-burner over time? I mean soon after you run or walk most of the accelerated calorie-burning stops while your body spends a lot of energy the next few days after a lifting session

Drachen596
March 9th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Lots of kids getting in trouble and arrested for threats being made at school lately. There have been threats or rumors of threats at least 4 or 5 schools in the area in the last couple of weeks. I don't remember it happening back after Columbine when I was in school.

Are kids today that stupid or are the schools just super panicky about the possibility of it happening?

balki
March 9th, 2018, 11:04 AM
They definitely take it more seriously now.
Like the cops will put a kid in handcuffs and take him in for questioning, (getting scolded by the principle back in the day didn't make the news).

Drachen596
March 9th, 2018, 11:18 AM
They're talking felony charges for the people that have done it around here. I'm sure the fact that the Florida shooting looked like something law enforcement should have caught given the signs they were literally handed is a big part as well.

Wonder how many of these kids are just thinking its some sort of funny joke to make threats against their schools. I mean its just a prank bro.

tigeraid
March 9th, 2018, 11:37 AM
is it me or does weight lifting end up being the best calorie-burner over time? I mean soon after you run or walk most of the accelerated calorie-burning stops while your body spends a lot of energy the next few days after a lifting session

That's definitely one school of thought--that extended periods of rest/lifting/rest/lifting kinda keeps your body in a muscle-building mode, and it tends to feed muscle growth. That doesn't necessarily mean it will accelerate WEIGHT LOSS, though. So if you're doing the "lose a little weight over time and get fit" method, rather than "lose lots of weight" method, yeah, it does the trick better.

dodint
March 9th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the weight loss from lifting argument is really interesting to read about. Generally I do separate lifting and cardio programs simultaneously; meaning I don't rely on one to contribute to the other. But, when things get busy, the lifting program generally goes away first. As such, I haven't lifted in six months but can still run three miles in under 30 minutes. ;)

tigeraid
March 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM
The thought process is that significant cardio workouts (long runs, tons of swimming, etc) will hurt weight training simply by wearing out your body too damn much. What was recommended to me by a trainer was, during the weight training period, to either only do relaxed cardio (walking), or to do High Intensity Intervals, like 15 minutes of sprinting/cool-down cycles, so you burn the calories and also promote muscle growth without ruining your joints.

(I do really like running though, so I'd probably end up going back to it anyway.)

Leon
March 9th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Weight loss is going to be (plucks numbers out of the air) 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Or at least, that's the case for me, and the people I know. The only time I've lost any meaningful amount of weight was when I cut my calorie intake a lot.

The rest of the time, my exercise both weights and cardio is really full on, and while I get more or less fit, my weight stays extremely static.

speedpimp
March 9th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Thank goodness there are no actual important things these idiots in Indy could be working on instead... All this crying over time zones. Its not like all the counties will change to Central anyways, ones with Ohio or Michigan are going ot want to stay Eastern.

No, St. Joseph wants to be on Central because "they feel a tie to Chicago". For some damn reason this whole state is obsessed with time zones. For years they couldn't make up their mind until 2006 on whether or not to observe Daylight Savings and now they want to fuck shit up again.