PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio.

Pages : [1] 2

thesameguy
January 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM
The Benz hasn't exploded yet, so it's time to start thinking about a stereo replacement. It still has its original Becker tape player, with sweet 6-disc changer in the trunk. It's no bueno. I believe this car has a built-in amplifier or crossover or something but it's all speaker-level inputs, so I don't need anything fancy. In fact, I don't want anything fancy. AM/FM/CD/USB. I might be willing to give up CD. I might want to add Bluetooth. I'm sorely tempted to take the JVC out of the Fiero and move it over to get more features in the Fiero, but that head unit looks darned decent in the Fiero and would look terrible in the Mercedes. So sad. I'd like rear USB for the stealth factor, but am leaning towards front USB for the ease of install. Perhaps I don't care enough about either scenario. ;)

Possibly a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT (CD, front USB, BT)
http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/31/130/x130X6600BT-o_lime.jpg

or a Pioneer DEH-X560BT (no CD, rear USB, BT)
http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/43/130/x130X560BT-F.jpg

or a Blaupunkt Helsinki 220 BT (CD, front USB, BT)
http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/45/023/x023HSi220B-F.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Blaupunkt for its looks (keep it German, yo), but I'm not sure about how graceful its Bluetooth will be. I've had issues in the past.

These are all really cheap receivers, but should do the job fine.

Kchrpm
January 21st, 2014, 12:19 PM
Go big or go home

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/08/09/DSX-S310BTX_angled_right_blue_pandora_song_usb_610x216 .jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSX310B/Sony-DSX-S310BTX.html?tp=5684

thesameguy
January 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Sony does not have variable color lighting, so they are summarily dismissed along with Alpine. But, for $220 I think the Pioneer DEH-X8600BH is a better choice anyway. You lose two eq bands and satellite radio, but gain HD radio, Siri pass-through, variable lighting, and a better FM tuner. I haven't found anything compelling about Sony's car audio in many years. They used to be 1-2 with Pioneer and ten years ago won a lot of business from me with their early, awesome support for MP3 but I feel like they've really lost their way. I haven't looked at Sony seriously in probably six or seven years.

Kchrpm
January 21st, 2014, 06:09 PM
Oh, I only went for the most expensive Sony single DIN, I know nothing about them :) I would want one that has some sweet visualization thing on a full color, high res LCD.

Mr Wonder
January 22nd, 2014, 05:10 AM
I used to want rear usb for the stealth factor, I wanted to run the cable somewhere and have a usb port in the car. Then I discovered the tiny form factor that usb drives were available in, such as the cruzer fit range. (http://www.sandisk.com/products/usb/drives/cruzer-fit/) I have an 8 gig one in the alpine in the SLK. It never leaves the faceplate, it even fits in the case with the drive in the port. I only have to take it out to put new music on, and with 64 gig drives now available you wont be doing that often.

Years ago Sony bought out a receiver with a gig of flash memory in the faceplate itself which you plugged in to a computer to transfer music to. I always liked the concept but it was a little too clumsy dragging the fascia to a pc and hooking it up via the mini usb plug. Having a tiny high capacity drive in the faceplate at ask times is the evolution of this concept and works stunningly well.

thesameguy
January 22nd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I use tiny little USB drives as well -

http://images.frys.com/art/product/300x300/7418005.01.prod.jpg

I bought a handful of 32gb ones ($18ea) and just leave them in the cars. I set up a profile in Allway Sync to copy one to the next, so I just make a master and then duplicate it to four or five other drives periodically so there's all the same. Works perfectly, and I never take them out of the stereo.

The only reason I still think about stealth USB ports in the car is for the person who might want to plug in their phone for music (instead of BT) or charging. With a remotely mounted USB port, you don't end up with a phone cable draped across the center console. That scenario is reasonably unusual so I don't stress about it, but it's still a consideration. I suppose if you didn't have a supported cell phone or were still rockin' an iPod shuffle, having a remote mounted aux in port could be handy too. If I run one, I'd run them both. Not sure either really matter in the Mercedes.

That said, I am leaning towards the Pioneer MVH-X560BT - I like the bigger display that results from not having a CD slot. I'm just trying to figure out what the stock stereo in the car consists of. I can't get a straight answer about the factory amplifiers, and whether they expect line level in or speaker level in... that answer might sway my vote. Crutchfield seems to think they are speaker level, but Metra seems to think they're line. :|

thesameguy
January 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM
I opted for the MVH-X560BT, screw CDs! Sonic Electronix had it for $110 and they include the wiring harness and antenna adapter for free. Unfortunately, they don't have a wiring harness for a 1994 E320, so I told them it was a 1992 Jetta. GO UNIVERSAL EURO ISO! About $10 in tax brought me to $120, which is still $10 less than Crutchfield was selling it and I get it three days earlier. Ah Crutchfield, I am struggling to figure out what you're good for anymore - and how I am ever going to use up the $62 of credit you're holding for me. :(

thesameguy
January 27th, 2014, 08:49 PM
MVH-X560BT, initial reactions: It's tiny. I thought it was going to be a normal head unit with no CD mechanism. but it's not. It's half the depth of a normal head unit, which I enjoy very much. The knob is about the cheapest knob I have ever felt from Pioneer. It's functional, but doesn't feel like quality. The display is also not nearly as nice as it appears in the pictures. Again, it works (and in fact it's very bright and very clear), but being very clearly segment based sucks just a little. I had hoped for more, but it meets expectations - at $110 you get what you pay for. ;)

I'll check out the USB & Bluetooth functions in a couple days. I'm betting the electronics that run that stuff is common across all current Pioneer stuff, so I'll bet it's solid. Oh, also, one thing I hadn't noticed in the specs is that is supports RDS. That's a happy surprise - I just can't believe that these days some things don't, but it seems to be the exception not the rule.

thesameguy
January 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
USB: Works great. Parsed a 32gb flash drive very quickly, and moves track to track and folder to folder instantly. Reads and displays ID3 tags super fast. Very typical Pioneer performance. As corny as it looks, again the big 9-segment display makes it very easy to read track information.

Bluetooth: Had a feature called "autopair" enabled with prevented it from pairing to my phone. My phone couldn't even detect it. Once I turned that on, the stereo appeared instantly in the Bluetooth list and it was easy to pair. I enjoy that the stereo supports the 6-digit confirmation code so that you don't have random schmoes on the road trying to pair to the stereo. Having been one of those random schmoes pairing on I80 to "Katy's Kar" I appreciate the added security. ;) I did not let it grab my contacts, so no idea how that works. Complaints are limited to a non-adjustable mic volume (as far as I can tell) and no phone voice control passthrough (that I can find). I'll look deeper to be sure it doesn't have that latter feature - because I find it very convenient to be able to text & drive with voice commands. ;) Basic Bluetooth for making & receiving calls works great, so my core goal was met.

Given you don't need a CD player and you have external amps, this head unit is probably the best bang for the buck there is. If it did better than 14w RMS, it would have broader applicability, but oh well. It's a perfect fit for this application - I definitely made the right choice.

thesameguy
February 12th, 2014, 09:09 AM
In my searching for head units for the Mercedes I must have checked out Amazon's prices because they have been emailing me mercilessly with "you might also be interested in..." advertisements.

It looks like they now stock the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4, the Clarion XC1410 and the Alpine KTP-445U. These are all Class D 4-channel ultra-compact amplifiers - the RF and Clarion being 4x75w and the Alpine 4x45w. They're all about the same size - 1-2" x 1-2" x 6-7" - a little more than palm-sized. I'm sure the guts inside are all roughly the same. The Clarion and Alpine are both under $100, the RF about $130. I feel like they must be on sale, as last time I looked they were $150+. I'm kinda thinking about jumping on one of them for the SPG and maybe another for the Falcon while they're cheap. Anyone heard about any of them in the year since they were last discussed?

CudaMan
February 12th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Someday I might get one of those too, but I never have. Partly because my cars are such imperfect listening environments (loud exhaust, wind noise, bad door acoustics, whatever).

-

I recently discovered something about iPod playback that I don't like. In quiet passages, if I put my head close to a speaker I can hear a hiss and subtle pops. Kind of like a cross between cassette tape hiss and vinyl record pops. This is with my iPod Touch 4th Gen hooked up to a Pioneer/Premier deck directly via USB. What giveth? I discovered it after putting the new speakers in my blue Z, then I checked the MR2 Turbo and it happens there too.

thesameguy
February 12th, 2014, 02:56 PM
It could be a result of compression causing audible artifacts with the amp, or it could be an impedance problem between amp and speaker. If it only happens with USB connections, it's probably a compression artifact. I have noticed that type of a thing with Bluetooth streaming, but it's to be expected (since "silence" is still an open connection that results in the amp passing signal). I'll have to compare stereos in USB mode and see if I get it there as well.

The reason for the amp in the SPG is that 14w RMS on the Pioneer is just killing me. There is very little speaker response, and I hate having the volume at 50%+ just to hear anything from the speakers while driving. Eventually, I want to do a custom speaker installation in it (5.25" components in the doors/side panels) and an amp to drive that, but in the short term I can definitely benefit from the extra wattage. In the Falcon, I am still mostly in favor of powering speakers with an amp connected to some sort of non-standard source, like an MP3 player or motorcycle style receiver. I don't have a good place to put a traditional head in that car - and don't want to hack something in.

KillerB
February 18th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Hmm, this reduced depth is intriguing to me. I took those awful Sunpro gauges out of the truck, and found that the sunglass pocket had been completely cut out. Great job, fucking up a dash part to install three shitty gauges, one of which never got hooked up (voltmeter) and one that they just laid the temp probe NEXT TO THE RADIATOR HOSE!!!

So, I figured I'd move my stereo up to that pocket. No dice. It's slightly wider than DIN, and too shallow for a standard HU. Doing some research online, it appears you have to hack the hell out of the inside of the dash to make the HU go there. So now I see I have two options:

- Try this new shallow HU tsg posted, knowing that I've yet to see an install up there that didn't look like ass (but also wasn't with a shallow HU) and then wondering what to do with the space under the dash where the stereo usually goes
- Buy a replacement dash piece (over $100 new but I found a nice used one for $50 including shipping), a new lower double DIN stereo box (since the current stereo install was a CF down there too), and a double DIN stereo since I abhor jerry-rigged stereo setups

I hate to blow a ton of money on this. On the other hand, I hate doing crap like this twice. I could just put this shallow HU in the lower space, but I really want something to fill in the rest that looks as factory as possible.

Random
February 18th, 2014, 06:59 PM
The lower slot is for the equalizer, duh. :D

thesameguy
February 19th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Or SunPro gauges in a proper DIN mount! :lol:

21Kid
February 19th, 2014, 09:13 AM
cd changer

KillerB
February 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
LOL I don't listen to CDs anymore.

thesameguy
February 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
You might if you had a changer.

TheBenior
February 20th, 2014, 11:48 AM
It would help for efficiently listening to your album collection a little at time instead of all at once.

Godson
February 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
It would help for efficiently listening to your album collection a little at time instead of all at once.

Best...use...ever.

KillerB
February 20th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Yup.

And no, with a changer, I wouldn't. I had a 6-disc changer in my RX-8... I literally never had more than one CD in it, and I bought it 8 years ago. I basically ripped my entire CD collection and sold it when I moved.

Godson
February 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM
I finally broke down and bought my first ever head unit.

You read that right, first ever purchased head unit.

JVC kd-80bt.

The only DMD on the market with 4.8v line outputs.

thesameguy
February 21st, 2014, 10:23 AM
I am sure you'll like it. All the JVCs in this price range share the same electronics and I have had a handful of them. They all work superbly. It's mind blowing that JVC is my #1 go to brand in head units... five years ago I would have scoffed at the idea of buying JVC at all.

Kchrpm
February 21st, 2014, 10:24 AM
I've still never bought a head unit for a car.

TheBenior
February 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM
I did in my Sentra because the factory one was appalling, and I in no way consider myself an audiophile. I'll be the first to call bullshit on pricey speaker cables. I would've liked something better in my Miata, but I was too worried about soft-top theft damage even though car stereos don't get stolen that often these days (presumably everybody having a factory CD player now limits the market).

The factory optional Bose in my MS3 is good enough that I don't feel the need to spend $1000 on aftermarket speakers, adapters, and a head unit. It might be a nice if I could crank up some quiet sources a bit louder, and I'd like Bluetooth support, but there's always something else to spend money on. Currently, that would be new shocks.

Godson
February 21st, 2014, 03:24 PM
Tsg, I know. I have installed 3 of the 50bt and I just did a complete custom job on a buddies s2000 and used the 80bt. I like its ability and the variable color display. But mostly I like the 4.8v line outputs. ;)

Mr Wonder
April 29th, 2014, 10:36 AM
After taking a prolonged break from the car audio industry I find myself in the market for a new system. I still have a lot of my old kit knocking around, but I want to go in a different direction than before and if I'm honest a lot of my old kit probably isn't in the best condition any more. Also technology has moved on leaps and bounds since my last install, and this is especially true for the headunits; much has improved since flip out dvd players were the new hotness. However the market looks a lot different than it did when I left. Gone are the days of every manufacturer offering a lot of models, over two or three lines all the way up to four or five hundred quid. Now almost every single din unit is under £250, most are under two hundred. And, almost without exception, they all look utterly shit. What happened to design in car audio?

The only unit I really want to see in the car is the Pioneer P99RS (http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/121/61/DEX-P99RS/page.html) which looks like this;

http://static.bootic.com/_pictures/1566783/pioneer-dex-p99rs.jpg

But it's £1000. And no bluetooth, or mod cons of any kind. But it is just lovely.

I think I've settled on it's younger brother the DEH-80PRS (http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/121/61/DEH-80PRS/page.html) Which sports a few more "everyday" features, like bluetooth streaming and headset modes and forgoes some of the uber SQ/equaliser features that if I'm honest I wont need. It's not as pretty though...

http://www.stuevencarhifi.de/images/DEH-80PRS/DEH-80PRS_large.jpg

However I think it looks far better than the fanfare of flashing lights and button-a-paloozas that make up it's current competition. No front USB despite me signing it's praises earlier in the thread, I'll route it to the centre console golvebox. Also no DAB radio tuner which I really wanted but the only unit I liked with DAB is the new Pioneer (are we seeing a pattern here?) AVIC-F60DAB (http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F60DAB/page.html) which is £1000 for navigation that I don't need (phone has it for free) and is a double din unit which, while it can be made to fit, is much more hassle than it's worth. I suppose streamed spotify will have to suffice. Not bought it yet just in case something better presents itself, also no one is doing a decent price on it currently.

Amplifiers are where it gets a little interesting. I had originally planed to use my, now ancient, Kenwood PS500F to power fronts and subs but it's just so big and heavy. The car may see track time and where I can save weight I am. I managed to source some old stock of Pioneer PRS-D800 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/PRS+Series/PRS-D800) amplifiers in the states. Very small, very light, great sound, absolutely perfect for what I want. I have two so far, one for the front components and one for the subs. I'm toying with the idea of picking up one more and going fully active as the DEH-80PRS contains a stupendously good active crossover setup within it. It seems like overkill for two tweeters though.

I was originally intending to use my old Focal Utopia 165W set for front speakers but after inspecting them a few months ago the voice coil in one of the woofers was a little scratchy. I tried to source a replacement woofer but couldn't find one that was economically viable, a great shame but they had a good innings and I got them at a huge discount back in 2001 so I've had my moneys worth. Those who know me will realise there was then no other option but more Focals for the front speakers. Today I bought a set of Focal 165KRX2 (http://www.focal.com/en/k2-power/180-165-krx2-3544052751321.html) component speakers. They are a thing of beauty. Vastly cheaper here than in the states which is very unusual.

Sub duties were again going to be handled by legacy equipment in the form of my trusty DLS MW12. Weight and the size of the enclosure ruled it out for the new build, and also I really don't need the low rumble of a twelve. just something to fill the bottom end in. After a great demo at the place that sold me the Focals I've decided on a JL Audio 6W3V3 (http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/6w3v3-4-car-audio-w3v3-subwoofer-drivers-92145). Or rather two of them. They need less than four litres of enclosure each which opens up many possibilities for placement, maybe at the front of the car if I can get creative with the centre console. The one small problem is that I really want to get two 8 Ohm models rather than the 4 Ohm models. That way I can run them in parallel bridged on one PRS-D800 for around 150 watts each. With the 4 Ohm model I'll have to hook one up to each channel for around 125 watts each. I'm not sure I'll need the power but the extra headroom would be nice. Obviously the 8 Ohm model is discontinued so some more legwork is required there. As usual much cheaper in the states than over here.

It's been a fun journey over the last few weeks researching all this and finding the parts. Obviously that is the easy bit. Installation is the real meat of car audio and though it's been a while I'm looking forward to it.

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM
It all sounds sweet, dude. That first Pioneer looks awesome but is obviously for h4RdC0r3!111!11! SQ enthusiasts. It's a pity they don't just make one with the features of the second and charge 20% more for it. That awesome clean look is but one of the reasons I love the McIntosh (Clarion) in the Legacy. Well, that and the great sound.

The BRZ went into the audio shop so that I could get the stock (and now useless) Toyota USB/AUX-IN port bit changed to a double USB port. One of them now interfaces with and charges the ipod, which is fine. Although that means it is no longer hidden away in the glove compartment, that hardly matters as here no-one is going to break into a car to steal an ipod classic. The other one charges my phone, as mounted to the vents with a Kenu Airframe. They very kindly routed another USB power cable and the old AUX-IN to the steering column, just on top of where the keyhole would be, and 3M stickered my Avantree bluetooth receiver there. Now I can reset it if and when required and it doesn't randomly drop out unlike when it was h4xx0r3d up to the ipod/aux-in in the glove compartment. Best of all is that I can now swap between both sources at will without fumbling around in the glove compartment. WIN

thesameguy
April 30th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Did you look at the current Blaupunkt line? They have some very clean looking stereos.

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2013/47/023/x023TRN420B-o_open.jpg

Mr Wonder
April 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I did have a quick peek at their stuff. While they do look very nice the specs aren't that great, I feel that if you squeezed the best features from their whole range into the Toronto (pictured above), added some hi level preouts bundled a separate mic for bluetooth, and had some kind of active filters you'd have an amazing unit. Also their build quality used to be absolutely shocking, despite the whole German engineering thing, and that kind of put me off. I realise they could be made out of unobtainium now for all I know but all the time a Pioneer does what I want while looking good I'm not willing to risk it.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Well, Robert Bosch Corp. isn't broadly known for its quality, so there you have it. :)

I don't give a rip about the filters (in building a system I'd rather go for a discrete crossover network) but the lack of high-volt preouts does suck. Although I'm told that with modern Class D amplifiers and modern car electricals (BCMs really cut down electrical noise) such concerns are wasted - but I can't help shake the notion that more preamp volts the better. ;)

Godson
April 30th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I am running a DMD and loving it. I refuse to go back to paying for a CD player when I don't use the damned thing.

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Not Car Audio per se, but I see no need for a new thread.

Window shopping for a pair of reference monitors, I saw that a pair of actives were rated at 60W @ 20 Ohms. How do they do that?
I mean, I understand the reasoning, but still: holy technology Batman!

thesameguy
May 19th, 2014, 10:23 AM
That's nuts... do they double as microwaves?

Godson
May 19th, 2014, 10:55 AM
:lol:

thesameguy
May 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Thought I'd mention this here -

I bought some of these

http://www.newark.com/productimages/standard/en_US/4766259.jpg

from http://www.newark.com/multicomp/2ub3001-w05101/cable-usb-a-jack-to-usb-a-plug/dp/20T7282?ost=20T7282

to put in the Southwind. They arrived today, and I'm pretty happy about them. In the past, I've used just bare rectangular jacks scavenged from PC-type applications, but the nice thing about these is that you can make a spot for them quickly with a small hole saw. I also like the fact they come with a cap, so if you're not using the port you can screw the cap on so things don't fall into the connector. Also, while the PC part solution is nice for its compactness, but it creates limitations with some cables and flash drives that have even slightly abnormally short connectors - you need to make the panel opening bigger than you think, which sometimes compromises the panel material. These have no such issues. They are available with various cable lengths, but I got the shortest ones as the leads from stereos are usually pretty substantial.

Not really related to car audio, I'll also mention this thing:

http://www.waytekwire.com/images/items/Dual-USB-Charger-11013_f.gif

available from http://www.waytekwire.com/item/11013/DUAL-USB-POWER-CHARGER-12V-24V/

It has two 2.1a USB ports for charging - no data. Just plug it into positive and negative and you can charge even your iPad in the car. I like that it's hardwired and not cigarette lighter based, as pulling 2.1a through those jenky adapters always worries me - they tend to get quite warm. One thing that is not apparent in the product description is that the face plate is totally removable, so you can either surface mount it (drill a hole, use two screws to secure it) or secure it from the rear with a nut. Which is what she likes.

Godson
May 29th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Dude....I need that second one for the Denali center console.

thesameguy
May 30th, 2014, 10:01 PM
One thing not advertised is that the front of the thing is poorly lit by a bright blue LED. The rubber cover totally blocks out the light, but the issue is that as long as it has power, it's going to be draining my battery. I had to redo my entire wiring plan. Oh well.

I'm still happy with the device itself, and they will probably find their ways into other places. A 1 1/8" hole saw is perfect for it. A 7/8" hole saw is ever so slightly too large for the USB data ports, but serviceable.

Godson
May 31st, 2014, 12:27 AM
One thing not advertised is that the front of the thing is poorly lit by a bright blue LED. The rubber cover totally blocks out the light, but the issue is that as long as it has power, it's going to be draining my battery. I had to redo my entire wiring plan. Oh well.

I'm still happy with the device itself, and they will probably find their ways into other places. A 1 1/8" hole saw is perfect for it. A 7/8" hole saw is ever so slightly too large for the USB data ports, but serviceable.

Run a relay switched off of the ignition powering it...

thesameguy
May 31st, 2014, 08:01 AM
Well, the whole point of it was to make charging stuff easy, and having to turn on the ignition to use it isn't easy. It's not the end of the world, but does reduce the usefulness of the device somewhat. They should sell an unlit version for people who don't want to have the vehicle on to use it - at least a version that has a built in ignition sense you wouldn't need to use an external relay to turn it on or off.

Godson
May 31st, 2014, 01:13 PM
umm....take it apart and eliminate the LED.

thesameguy
May 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM
Tried, but it's sealed shut. I don't think it would survive the dismantling and still be panel mountable. I was hoping it was just clipped or screwed shut, but no such luck. Believe you me, when something doesn't work my first reaction is to dismantle it.

Godson
May 31st, 2014, 03:27 PM
Lol, I forgot who I was talking to.

thesameguy
May 31st, 2014, 11:30 PM
Sometimes I dismantle things even when they're not broken.

I'm going with the Pioneer x560bt for the Southwind, the same stereo I put in the Benz. It's $105 on Amazon, which is bloody cheap. I'll probably need an amp which offsets the savings vs the JVC, but $250 for 50w+ RMS or $190 for 22w RMS makes the extra $60 seem reasonably worth it. These are literally the only two currently made stereos with rear aux inputs.

I am slightly torn on speakers - I have zero depth limitations but minor height limitations due to the grills. I also have significant financial limitations - I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on these speakers. I think it's down to either JBL or Infinity Reference

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6032cf-6-5-Inch-High-Performance/dp/B002BZFSYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401606857&sr=8-2&keywords=Infinity+Reference+6032si

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO628-6-5-Inch-2-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TEY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401607581&sr=8-2&keywords=jbl+gto629

I'm going to see how the thing sounds with stereo power before investing in an amp as the current setup is decent, but I think I'm going to want an amp. I do have an ancient and gigantic 5-channel Sony in the garage I might be able to use... Crazy as it sounds, it may not fit. Well, may not fit without a LOT of work.

thesameguy
June 1st, 2014, 11:25 AM
Miracle of miracles, not only does Ye Olde Sony Ampe *barely* fit in one of the overhead compartments, but there is a wire channel running up the a-pillar right to it. I think I'm going to roll with it, as I just can't see ever using this amp again - it has an 11x17 footprint, which is *ginormous* by modern standards, especially given its modest 4x40+100w output. Yeah, that's right - it's a 5-channel amp. Makes me want to wall off the adjacent compartment and use it to drive an 8" mid/sub, but I'm not going to. I am running out of energy on this project. ;)

This is the amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zSkggEkb7wQ/p_158XM405EQ/Sony-Xplod-XM-405EQX.html

I am now seriously thinking about ganking the stereo out of the SPG. It's overkill feature-wise for this application, but OTOH I'm always up for buying a new stereo, and the newness more or less gets wasted in the Southwind. ;)

thesameguy
June 1st, 2014, 12:33 PM
Scratch that - the stereo in the SPG has a front aux in. DOH!

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
I ended up going with these speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P165-6-5-Inch-Full-Range/dp/B0076SII5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401730991&sr=8-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+p165

ATM, I don't remember why I chose them over the Infinity or JBLs.

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
cause they are cheap...

thesameguy
June 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
They're the same price as the other two - all about $50/pr. The next jump in quality brought things up to $100/pr, and I just can't believe that price bump would be justified in the listening environment I'm talking about.

Godson
June 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM
It isn't. I keep tossing the idea of doing a complete system in the Yukon. Then I realise that it is a winter "beater" and a tow rig. No sense in wasting 1-2k on a great stereo setup when the shitty bose will do.

I just need a better HU

thesameguy
June 4th, 2014, 03:01 PM
MFer!

The RF speakers have a plastic shell around the metal basket that prevents them from slotted into the existing mounts. Seriously, WTF?

It's barely an issue - maybe 1/8" or so - so I am going to just sand down the plastic til it fits, but what is the damned point of that "overmold???"

On the upside, and in case it ever comes up, these speakers come with adapters to bolt them in place of 5"x7" or 6"x9" speakers, which is pretty neat.

thesameguy
June 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I stuck the RF speakers in foam baffles and it made a dramatic improvement. What little bass they had at 40w was splattered all over the place, but the baffles tightened it up beautifully and now they have a very solid midrange that just wasn't there before. I'm quite happy with them, would buy again.

21Kid
June 11th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I had a very similar amp, back in the day. ;). Mine wasn't the XPLOD!!! series however. :lol:

thesameguy
June 11th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I remember buying it, got an insanely good deal on it. It was actually connected to a Sony head unit, a CDX-MP80 - which was the shiznit! Unfortunately that amp is just monstrous and I've been sitting on it because I just have never had a place to put it... the size vs. output just doesn't make any sense in 2014 (or any time in the last, say, eight years). I'm actually pretty happy I found a use for it... finally. :lol:

21Kid
July 2nd, 2014, 10:19 AM
I thought this thread was in the Open Road... :o (Why can't I find it!!!)

Anyway... Sound dampening spray is on sale at Amazon. $3 off.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/coupon/3m-and-bondo-undercoating/AC1269UJH3WN0/ref=gb1h_img_c-6_4482_66414c2c?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-6&pf_rd_r=06RTXK7592TR1ZNRMPWB&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1671394482

Godson
July 2nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Currently playing with the idea of a duoble din touchscreen foe the denali as I hate factory GM stereos bulbs burn out and all sorts of funky shit happen. I'd rather evade that before the headache. Any suggestions?

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2014, 05:22 PM
I think the only ones I'd consider with a touchscreen would be Pioneer, but Parrot now has their Android situation in a double-DIN that's every bit as intriguing as the single DIN one. Maybe more!

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM
Oh, and I will just casually mention that HD Radio is FINALLY paying off in Sacramento. JackFM (a common ClearChannel thing) has an HD2 station which is AWESOME. Since it's HD2 it has almost no commercial value (yet) so there are no commercials. It's like listening to satellite radio. I got the HD add-on for the Suburban in 2007 and it only took six or seven years to find a reason to have it. AWESOME VALUE.

Godson
July 2nd, 2014, 08:05 PM
I thought the asteroid was a pile of shit???

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
The original one had bugs, but I gotta believe three years later they have been cured. No firsthand knowledge though, so I nominate you to test.

Yw-slayer
July 3rd, 2014, 03:20 AM
Dude. It still runs Android 2.3.

If you really want an Android double-DIN unit, why not just get the Ca-Fi model, or one of the Chinese knock-offs? I mean, apart from the risk of blowing your car up.

I think it's better to make-do with a decent traditiona single/double-DIN unit for now. In a few years time we'll be able to buy HUs that properly interface with ios/android/whatever anyway. No sense blowing money on early adopter stuff, unless you're loaded and/or some sort of mental hobbyist.

Godson
July 3rd, 2014, 04:23 AM
Interesting fact, Crutchfield doesn't list double din as an option on my truck...

thesameguy
July 3rd, 2014, 08:40 AM
What year is it again? IIRC there is a weirdness in MY2001 full size trucks and they don't have a true double DIN hole. You can get the dash fascia from an '02 and swap it in to get full DD capability. Otherwise, you have to go single.

Godson
July 3rd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Well fuck. Then that means I am a single DIN, as the Fascia for the Denali is special.

Does the '02 just swap right in?

And here I thought I could have something cool. I guess I can steal the HU out of the M3 and put the old one back in it...

Godson
July 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Just found a video. Apparently I need the 03-06 bezel, radio cage, and the install basket for the same years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbybEFH3cgg

I need to do some research to see if the later model had "wood trim" as mine does and I don't want it looking cobbled together.

thesameguy
July 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
OH, shit. Thought it was '02... Meh... I was close! :)

The parts all swap right in, but wood trim might be an issue, especially matching wood trim.

thesameguy
July 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Check this thing out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_822PRV175/JBL-PRV-175.html?tp=61742

A digital media receiver crammed in a a 3 3/8" gauge hole. That's something I could mount in the Falcon pretty unobtrusively. Whenever I get back to working on the Falcon, anyway. Heh.

Godson
July 15th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Now that is cool

Mr Wonder
July 15th, 2014, 09:52 PM
That is what the people have been crying out for for a long time. I wonder how popular it'll be.

KillerB
July 15th, 2014, 10:22 PM
This would have been perfect when I had the Miata. Could have used this a lot more than the silly voltmeter I put in with my oil temperature and water temperature gauges.

Yw-slayer
July 15th, 2014, 11:00 PM
It's a marine receiver...

thesameguy
July 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Yes...

?

Yw-slayer
July 16th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Not a car audio receiver...?

Mr Wonder
July 16th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Usually they do exactly the same job plus they can be waterproof. Or resistant. Whichever covers more arse legally.

Yw-slayer
July 16th, 2014, 06:41 AM
But then where do you mount this in a car?

JoshInKC
July 16th, 2014, 08:18 AM
In a Gauge Mount (http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/gauges-accessories?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=gauge%20mount%20gauge%20mount%203%203%2F8) , such as this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5204/overview/) or this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-901004/overview/). You then mount the gauge cup wherever you want - Often on the steering column, roll cage, or on/under the dashboard depending on what you're working with/trying to do.

Yw-slayer
July 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Ah, cool.

21Kid
July 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
That little thing has a 20x4 amp in it? :? I've been out of the game for a long time. :o
Definitely cool!!!

KillerB
July 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah the difference between marine audio and car audio tends to come down to being waterproof and perhaps more vibration-tolerant. Otherwise they're basically the same stuff.

I don't know if some of the bigger boats use a 24-28V setup like some planes do. That setup can complicate things.

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I think the XR4Ti is getting dangerously close to starting (I think I just need two bungs welded onto some aluminum tube) and since I ganked its stereo for the Celica I decided to start looking. I'm sure this thing sucks, but I do like the looks of it - reminds me of '90s Blaupunkts -

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2014/1/202/x202FZ150-f.jpg

Random
September 5th, 2014, 11:16 AM
SD card slot!

thesameguy
September 5th, 2014, 03:06 PM
If it can do SDHC or SDXC it might not be too bad an idea... it'd be hilarious if it was still using some old architecture that was limited to 2gb like the old-style SD-capable receivers.

The 4x16w is kind of a let down, though... Although that $60 head unit and a $100 XC1410 amp wouldn't be an all-bad use of money, especially if you don't need fancy features, just phat beats.

pl8ster
September 9th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Just as function > form... phat beats > fancy features

Although it's always nice to have both :random:

thesameguy
September 9th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Car stereo stratification used to make sense, but it really doesn't seem to anymore. There are a fixed number of features that have any relevance in 2014 outside navigation, and it seems like everything between the bargain basement $60 units and nicely equipped $250 units is a random mishmash of bullshit. Maybe there is so little market for these things anymore than profit margins must be huge to warrant them even existing - I dunno - but it seems like the flaws in a given brand's offerings run the entire product range, suggesting that they're all built on a common platform. Pioneer has weak amps, JVC has poor displays, Alpine has blue damned buttons, Blaupunkt doesn't do HD Radio, Sony's USB and/or aux ports are in the wrong place. Somewhere in the middle is the perfect stereo - and none of these brands can figure out how to get there. :(

Yw-slayer
September 9th, 2014, 01:53 PM
... but it seems like the flaws in a given brand's offerings run the entire product range, suggesting that they're all built on a common platform.

Surely only a cynic would suggest that this is the case!

thesameguy
September 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure why acknowledging common hardware running variable software is cynical... that's pretty much status quo for electronics these days. Why should car stereos be any different than network routers or bluray players?

neanderthal
September 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Car stereo stratification used to make sense, but it really doesn't seem to anymore. There are a fixed number of features that have any relevance in 2014 outside navigation, and it seems like everything between the bargain basement $60 units and nicely equipped $250 units is a random mishmash of bullshit. Maybe there is so little market for these things anymore than profit margins must be huge to warrant them even existing - I dunno - but it seems like the flaws in a given brand's offerings run the entire product range, suggesting that they're all built on a common platform. Pioneer has weak amps, JVC has poor displays, Alpine has blue damned buttons, Blaupunkt doesn't do HD Radio, Sony's USB and/or aux ports are in the wrong place. Somewhere in the middle is the perfect stereo - and none of these brands can figure out how to get there. :(

OE stereos used to be crap. Aftermarket stereos used to offer more. Better.

Now, OE systems are good enough to not need to be upgraded. Aftermarket is chasing a dwindling market.

TheBenior
September 9th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Yep. Not too many cars running around with aftermarket stereos compared to the 1990s and early 2000s. It's been years since I've done a report for stolen radio.

I had an aftermarket stereo in my 2002 Sentra SE-R (which came with the upgraded stereo) because the factory stereo was terrible, and I'm pretty far from an audio snob.

The Bose upgrade in my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 isn't great, but it's good enough for me to be unable to rationalize spending money replacing everything. I don't need window rattling bass or otherwise super-loud music. It's bad enough I roll around in a car with no muffler ;)

thesameguy
September 9th, 2014, 05:52 PM
OE stereos are good when new, but there is a whole batch "good when new" stereos from the late '90s to around 2010 that now suck. No USB, no Bluetooth, no HD radio, no smartphone integration. The OE stuff is better than it used to be by an order of magnitude, but it still all ages just as poorly. It's every bit the same drag. I find myself driving the Fiero or Saab places I might otherwise take the Jag simply because the Jag can't do anything with modern data. It's positively true there is little incentive for de facto new car OE stereo replacement, but by the same token they are even more of an annoyance for used car buyers. Finding out your new-to-you (or still paying off!) 2012 Mercedes Benz doesn't work with any iDevice currently in production blows. (Imagine trying to explain that to you S65 driving employer - "Hey, sorry you lost your iPhone 4S. Be aware its replacement will neither have all your pictures nor work in your car.")

Yw-slayer
September 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure why acknowledging common hardware running variable software is cynical... that's pretty much status quo for electronics these days. Why should car stereos be any different than network routers or bluray players?

I was being sarcastic, dude.

Anyway - re: the Jag. If you can somehow sort out an aux-in socket and a USB charger, then just buy a cheap, small Bluetooth receiver (with Apt-X if you want) and run your phone's bluetooth stream through that.

I suppose the new Android/ios integration in premium cars may help.

neanderthal
September 9th, 2014, 09:09 PM
OE stereos are good when new, but there is a whole batch "good when new" stereos from the late '90s to around 2010 that now suck. No USB, no Bluetooth, no HD radio, no smartphone integration. The OE stuff is better than it used to be by an order of magnitude, but it still all ages just as poorly. It's every bit the same drag. I find myself driving the Fiero or Saab places I might otherwise take the Jag simply because the Jag can't do anything with modern data. It's positively true there is little incentive for de facto new car OE stereo replacement, but by the same token they are even more of an annoyance for used car buyers. Finding out your new-to-you (or still paying off!) 2012 Mercedes Benz doesn't work with any iDevice currently in production blows. (Imagine trying to explain that to you S65 driving employer - "Hey, sorry you lost your iPhone 4S. Be aware its replacement will neither have all your pictures nor work in your car.")

Yeah.

I'm looking at the Blaupunkt Toronto on Crutchfield for my E320 right now because of the lack of connectivity and crappy FM reception (I use an FM transmitter to play music.) I actually like the OE sound because no matter what I play at whatever volume, it never distorts. The sound is a bit sterile, often lacks kick when i'm playing something like Bob Marley at loud volume, or real high frequency definition when i'm playing Coldplay or Bruce Springsteen, but it never gets muddy or distorted.

thesameguy
September 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
OIC!

There are lots of hacks for the Jag, but none of them very good. The issue is that the head unit is just a radio and a tape player. All the brains and amps are in the trunk. It's difficult to divorce or insert parts in the middle or the end, and like many cars the spot where the head unit is isn't flat or square. It's a bloody disaster.

Yw-slayer
September 9th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah, then that'll suck as your only easy options for Aux in are via a cassette adapter or an FM transmitter. :lol:

pl8ster
September 10th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Now, OE systems are good enough to not need to be upgraded. Aftermarket is chasing a dwindling market.

Never mind that most of them are designed such that upgrading is all but impossible.

Dafuc would I replace this with? Good thing I am satisfied with it as is.
http://media.windingroad.com/autos_db/thumbnails/DSCF1214_JPG_677x1000_q100.jpg

But that Jag thing, man, that's a different kind of misery. Good luck with that, and I mean that sincerely.

thesameguy
September 10th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Yeah, then that'll suck as your only easy options for Aux in are via a cassette adapter or an FM transmitter. :lol:

Looks like I'm going to need a DeLorean. :(

The Jag does force me to listen to the radio which isn't all bad now and again. I suppose I could also transplant the HD receiver from the Suburban into it - at least then I could listen to the best terrestrial radio station EVAR. I guess it's worth considering.

Or not. Not sure what the future holds for the Jag, either. ;)

Yw-slayer
September 10th, 2014, 08:52 AM
AUX-IN is the great equaliser (no pun intended). Seriously, unless you're a major audiophile, a decent AUX-IN will serve you well until the car, well, dies.

thesameguy
September 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
True, true. For me that's kind of a hassle as every other car has a USB port, but if it came down to it I could either dig out the old Nano or put music on my phone. I've just not had a reason to do that, and it seems like a hassle I don't need or want. But they're definitely options. There is also a hack to put the guts from a Motorola cell phone Bluetooth speaker in place of the factory cell phone parts which apparently works decently. Of course that requires carrying music on my phone as well. Or signing up for some sort of streaming service. I just want a USB port. :(

Godson
September 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM
What year jag was it again?

thesameguy
September 11th, 2014, 12:35 PM
'03 - '98-'03 are all the same.

Kchrpm
September 30th, 2014, 05:56 AM
http://phandroid.com/2014/09/29/android-auto-details-for-developers/

Similar to Android Wear, Google is looking to keep things simple. Notifications will display in a very specific manner (just like Android Wear) and developers wont have too much leeway in how their apps can look when in media mode, Android Auto’s interface when handling music, podcasts, and other audio centric apps. For the most part, this means apps like Pandora will look nearly identical to apps like Google Play Music. While the general layout is off limits, developers can still choose their own icons, colors, or background images — but not much else. Android Auto provides a darker night mode, presumably switching on the fly once the sun sets (a feature we’ve seen in apps like Waze).

This will not only ensure a much more uniform experience, but ensure drivers will be familiar with all Android Auto apps out if the box and keeps everything safe and kosher with local driving laws as well as automotive OEMs. Google also assures developers that the tight restrictions make their coding life much easier in that they wont have to maintain a separate app specifically for Android Auto since it’s using the same functionality from their existing app.

Yw-slayer
September 30th, 2014, 07:44 PM
As the old McIntosh speakers had all cracked from old age, yesterday I installed Morel Virtus 6's in the front of the Legacy and Coax Pulses in the back. I was worried that they'd change the sound signature to something I didn't like, but I am pretty pleased with the result. They have more power at high volumes, and the treble is particularly good, although a bit of subtlety appears to have been lost at low volumes. Imaging seems to be more centre-focused than previously, in that I think the stereo imaging was previously slightly better, but overall at least I can blast stuff at high volumes without hearing the "tsss tsss" of the cracked speakers.

neanderthal
October 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM
OIC!

There are lots of hacks for the Jag, but none of them very good. The issue is that the head unit is just a radio and a tape player. All the brains and amps are in the trunk. It's difficult to divorce or insert parts in the middle or the end, and like many cars the spot where the head unit is isn't flat or square. It's a bloody disaster.

BTW, if the head unit of the Jag supports a cd changer that could be your "in."
Becker retrofits AUX IN's on the old 90s stereos for German cars it supplied. It's just a matter of finding our who the OE supplier is and if they have a hack for an AUX IN.

Godson
October 1st, 2014, 09:38 PM
I am sure you have already done this, but have ya checked PAC audio?

thesameguy
October 1st, 2014, 10:06 PM
The system is Alpine, 1st gen AI-Net with a slightly modified (maybe dumbed down) protocol. Aux in is not a problem, which is why the Motorola Bluetooth hack works. But I don't want shitty v1/v2 Bluetooth, music coming out of that sounds terrible and I find BT car audio particularly irksome as I tend to make calls where I'm going to spend a lot of time on hold in the car... Having the music stop because you're on hold with Comcast for an hour sucks balls. I really prefer to use a BT headset for calls anyway - better clarity and privacy - which precludes pairing the phone to the car anyway. Jeez, that's a roundabout way of saying I really don't want to use BT for audio, or my phone for audio. I want a USB port, and that's the only thing that's gonna make me happy. :)

Random
October 14th, 2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BO8O9XQ/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Parking this for future consideration.

thesameguy
October 14th, 2014, 11:01 AM
That's neat. That's something that could very well find a home in the Fiero or the SPG.

Edit: ROFL. I have some points at Crutchfield from that Tahoe AV purchase - but they want $250 for this thing! As if!

Kchrpm
October 14th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Boom boom, shake shake the room :up:

Godson
October 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hmm, neat.

In other news, I am eventually going to be getting the Denali switched over to a double din stereo with reverse camera, etc.

Random
October 24th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Never mind that most of them are designed such that upgrading is all but impossible.

Dafuc would I replace this with? Good thing I am satisfied with it as is.
http://media.windingroad.com/autos_db/thumbnails/DSCF1214_JPG_677x1000_q100.jpg

But that Jag thing, man, that's a different kind of misery. Good luck with that, and I mean that sincerely.

Install kit replaces the whole facia like so (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Din-Special-Car-Installation-Frame-Dash-Trim-Kit-Fascia-Panel-Adaptor-for-Honda-Spirior-Europe/445880751.html?cn=9263&cv=15091&dp=5C4tiGQx2kw.d_CCDo-JESM9Us124nhAMMhDiTpLwInu&af=73669). I have no idea how or whether they integrate with the stock display above the radio--likely not!

pl8ster
November 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM
So we inherited a 2006 Corolla that my son will drive when he gets his license early next year, which is pretty awesome. It's my wife's grandfather's old car that my mother-in-law has been stashing in her garage for the last couple of years (less than 5k miles (!!!!), she just had it checked out mechanically, we're replacing the tires). But how is my son, who currently uses our home Wi-Fi to listen to Spotify, going to listen to music in the car? We are planning to replace the head unit and speakers for him for Christmas, but I guess he's going to have to fire up that iPod Touch and start buying songs on iTunes, because streaming music in the car would kill our data plan, and I don't know how much of my music collection would appeal to him in order to go the 'flash drive' route that works really well for me. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to start buying CDs at this point :lol:

Yw-slayer
November 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Spotify Premium can download a large number of songs (I think 500/account) to your phone's/ipod touch's storage. If Spotify already has most of the stuff he wants, buy him a Spotify Premium account for a year, and let him get anything else via CDs/itunes and take care of the next year's subscription (or you can factor that into his next year's Christmas or whatever present). Sticking with the Touch would seem to make sense.

pl8ster
November 14th, 2014, 12:37 PM
That's a really good idea. He'll just be going back and forth to school, so between Spotify Premium and whatever he can scrounge from my collection, he should be set.

thesameguy
November 14th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Take the stereo out so he has to listen to what's going on. Maybe the windows too?

Yw-slayer
November 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Glad to be of service. Although listening to the wind is good too. Also, remove the A/C and install a rollcage.

thesameguy
November 14th, 2014, 03:48 PM
For safety. Along with grippy tires and an aluminum seat. That way, nothing unexpected happens.

neanderthal
November 15th, 2014, 12:17 AM
GTR stickers.

For safety.

neanderthal
November 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
He can also use pandora, although I have unlimited data so I don't pay attention to whether or not i'm using data or wifi.

ITunes gift certificates at Costco are $95 for 4 $25 cards. There's going to be a $15 (? I think) coupon on them in the near future.

pl8ster
November 15th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I already have the Type R stickers ready to go, just need to figure out where to place them.

Godson
November 15th, 2014, 06:36 AM
For safety. Along with grippy tires and an aluminum seat. That way, nothing unexpected happens.

Carbon is preferred. Aluminum could turn you into two pieces.

Also, don't forget the coilovers and loud exhaust.

thesameguy
November 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Yeah, but carbon fiber shatters and makes sharp bits whereas aluminum tends to bend first.

Though, that said, carbon fiber seats and a steering wheel spike would definitely keep drivers on the straight & narrow.

Yw-slayer
November 15th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Needz FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DOOM sticker too.

21Kid
November 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM
biege
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/performance-modification-tune-up-preventive-maintenance/638630d1361942190-modified-toyota-corolla-vertical-20doors-2003-04-20corolla_53q_pakwheels-com-.jpg

Yw-slayer
November 19th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Stylin'

Godson
November 19th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Why the fucking fuck.

thesameguy
November 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Forgot I ganked the stereo out of the XR for the Celica last year.

Pioneer has a pretty cool looking new receiver, sadly the same 14w RMS. ARGH.

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/405/300/products/2014/40/130/x130X8700BH-f.jpg

I am tempted to bite the bullet and go for it, as it is otherwise a *perfect* receiver - rear USB, HD radio, Bluetooth, hi-volt preamps. The whole deal. Maybe give one of those compact amps a go at last.

I have a month or two to work this out - maybe other brands will have new product coming out soon too - but this seems mighty fine.

speedpimp
November 27th, 2014, 05:25 AM
biege
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/attachments/performance-modification-tune-up-preventive-maintenance/638630d1361942190-modified-toyota-corolla-vertical-20doors-2003-04-20corolla_53q_pakwheels-com-.jpg

Looks like a bad photoshop.

neanderthal
November 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Looks like a bad photoshop.

No. It's just the banal styling on the Corolla.

21Kid
November 28th, 2014, 09:17 AM
You mean the clouds don't change angle when you open your doors?

thesameguy
December 11th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Pioneer has a pretty cool looking new receiver, sadly the same 14w RMS. ARGH.

I think I might have been wrong about this! Crutchfield listed this receiver as 14w RMS, but Sonic Electonix and Amazon both list it as 22w RMS. Pioneer now has the owner's manual online, and it says 22w RMS as well. I think maybe Crutchfield typo'd. It *could* be that Crutchfield only reports the CEA output, and that output is lower than the factory claimed output, but that sounds weird. Not sure how to verify this one way or another.

Bah. Crutchfield only reports the CEA output. The stereo is 14w RMS @ 1% THD (CEA) or 22w RMS @ 5% THD (Pioneer). Fail.

Kchrpm
January 6th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Pioneer NEX - add Android Auto or Apple's CarPlay into your car

http://gizmodo.com/pioneer-nex-systems-put-carplay-and-android-auto-in-yo-1677759713

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M7SJ2aGE--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ejeboln4y5kul2ypxloa.jpg

thesameguy
January 6th, 2015, 10:33 AM
I saw this in a Crutchfield ad. It seems SUPER cool - I just wonder whether it'll be another dead-end product not compatible with the iPhone 7 in eleven months.

Kchrpm
January 6th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Don't think Apple will support CarPlay going forward?

thesameguy
January 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I think it's less a matter of CarPlay itself and more a matter of protocol or some other BS construct. Like iOS8 adds an encrypted stream that can't be disabled and the Pioneer doesn't speak, or something like that. Every generation of Pioneer "smart" stereo has lasted two generations of phones, and they are usually months and months behind... I don't even think 2014 product line supports the iPhone 6 yet.

I can't quite decide whether I want to be annoyed at Apple for pointlessly changing things and failing to get developers onboard to new pointlessly changed things in advance, or at Pioneer for taking too long to integrate new tech.

Of course, none of this actually affects me since I own neither an Android phone nor an Apple phone, so I'm out of the mix anyway. :P

thesameguy
January 6th, 2015, 03:23 PM
On the opposite end of the spectrum, had anybody used any of the shitty Boss, Pyle, Dual, etc. stereos lately? I feel like given the state of electronics, these also-ran brands simply cannot be as bad as they were ten or fifteen years ago. Even cheap electronics are pretty darned good these days.

I read a bunch of reviews of the Boss 612UA, which is a $30 CD-less head unit, on Amazon and it seems like it's just fine. Complaints are either from idiots who don't know how to install a stereo or people who expected something other than a $30 stereo. Most of the knowledgeable reviews are to the effect of "Works just fine, has UI oddities, worth the price." The lights on the Santa Fe's head unit are out and since I'm going to have to make several 160 mile drives in it I might like to have a USB port or something.

The only head unit I have going spare ATM is the one from the Benz, which does not have support for ISO mounting. Too bad - otherwise it'd go right in. ;)

thesameguy
January 6th, 2015, 03:30 PM
DA RUDE - SOUNDSTORM - $34:

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/2174846/main/ml40usa.jpg

Pyle PLR34M - $38:

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/1677712/main/plr34m.jpg

Boss 612UA - $30

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/682832/main/612ua.jpg

Dual XD5250

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/632462/main/xd5250.jpg

These are all roughly the same - ~20w RMS, USB, etc.

The cheapest name brand stereo I can find with USB is the Clarion FZ150 at $60.

I kind of want to see what $30 head units are like these days. I kind of want to not waste $30 trying to save $30.

pl8ster
January 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I ended up going double DIN for the Corolla because that's what's in there now, and it's a gift for my son, so what's an extra thirty bucks to have it fit the existing opening? I doubt the CD player will ever get used, but the big thing was Bluetooth for streaming Spotify Premium and getting some more power to the existing speakers. We skipped the speaker upgrade for now because 1) the head unit will make the OEM units sound at least a little better, 2) my son is not yet an audiophile and 3) since I'm not about to tackle my very first car stereo project in sub-freezing temperatures (especially given my 'comedy of errors' track record with projects in general), we're shelling out for installation.

So this is what is going in:

I think I may have mentioned that there is actually a 6-CD changer in there now. Is that even worth putting on CL? Are there people out there who both listen to CDs in their vehicles AND are unaware of how frequently the in-dash changers break?

thesameguy
January 9th, 2015, 11:02 AM
If it works, I'd try and sell it. There are plenty of people with old cars who don't want to incur the expense of getting someone to install an aftermarket head unit and they can pop yours in and go. I'm guessing if it's a 6-disc, it's part of an upgraded audio system and I'd guestimate it to be worth $50-$100 easily. That's cheaper than anyone can get a stereo installed (much less buy a stereo!), and there are plenty of people driving average cars who don't even know what a USB port is. :) (Not to mention all the weirdos who shun USB because luddite wannabe audiophiledom)

FWIW, I installed a previous version of that Pioneer in a friend's Silverado last year. It's a nice head unit!

thesameguy
January 10th, 2015, 09:21 AM
On the subject of CarPlay....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/04/parrot-rnb6-android-auto-apple-carplay/

Check out that depth!

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jaguarforums.com-vbulletin/800x539/80-parrot_rnb6_2015_01_04_2_1_6d018246e105371bf8cdfdd 933ea53b62eb6be14.jpg

KillerB
January 10th, 2015, 10:03 AM
This would be very happy in the Mazda.

thesameguy
January 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I am eagerly awaiting pricing, as if it isn't insane I might put on in the Jag,

Godson
January 11th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Fuck....

I may need that.

Godson
January 11th, 2015, 07:51 AM
If you want something sooner...

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-smart/

thesameguy
January 11th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I looked at the Smart before, but it's featureset doesn't quite justify the price tag. The RNB6 looks to add enough secret sauce that it would make the price tag make sense. That's assuming of course that the RNB6 replaces the Smart instead of coming in above it. I think it will, as Parrot normally only offers one stereo at a time. Also, the RNB6 looks to be shallower than the Smart, just like the Smart was shallower than the Asteroid. In the Jag, the depth is absolutely critical since there is only an inch or an inch and a half of space for half its height.

Mr Wonder
January 12th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Assuming that has RCA outs on the AV IN/OUT plug that may be worth looking into, I've not pulled the trigger on a head unit yet and the features look great. Plus the depth solves all kinds of mounting problems.
Android integration and DAB? Way better than the Pioneer P80PRS can muster!

Godson
January 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM
It will be interesting for sure.

CudaMan
January 13th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Hmmm. I haven't figured something out on the new 350Z. It came with a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X940BT), like this:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Images/Product%20Images/Car/AVIC-X940BT_large.jpg

My iPod Touch 4 is recognized and the display shows my playlists, as well as the currently playing song with Artist, Album, Song and artwork. It shows playback occurring, but I hear not a peep. After some digging I'm still stumped. Anyone run across something like this before? There is a firmware update for the stereo for iPhone 5 compatibility, but that shouldn't apply to me.

Godson
January 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Does it play music normally, like am/FM/CD? Do other phones work on it?

thesameguy
January 13th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Are you using the cable, Bluetooth, and/or the AppRadio app?

I would do that firmware update. There is no telling what works or what doesn't with a Touch because it uses full iOS firmware like an iPhone.

CudaMan
January 13th, 2015, 10:52 PM
The instruction manual says it works with iTouch4 out of the box...

I'm using the USB cable. One would assume if it was for standard USB thumb drives only, and not the iPod Accessory official cable from Pioneer ($$), that it would not interface with the iPod at all. In other words, it wouldn't be able to show my playlist, album art, etc. So I think I have the right cable.

FM and CD work OK. Haven't tried my Android over Bluetooth because I don't have any music on it.

Mr Wonder
January 14th, 2015, 06:25 AM
I recall there being some issue with appradio and the latest iDevice OS. I think that was just for the iphone 6 though.

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 08:46 AM
The instruction manual says it works with iTouch4 out of the box...

I'm using the USB cable. One would assume if it was for standard USB thumb drives only, and not the iPod Accessory official cable from Pioneer ($$), that it would not interface with the iPod at all. In other words, it wouldn't be able to show my playlist, album art, etc. So I think I have the right cable.

FM and CD work OK. Haven't tried my Android over Bluetooth because I don't have any music on it.

It works with the Touch with factory firmware out of the box. Once you mix iOS into things, there is no telling what happens. My girlfriend's iPhone spontaneously stopped working with her Fiat with the latest iOS. My boss's Touch stopped working with his Mercedes. Yay for iDevice integration!

The cable really doesn't matter, as much as Pioneer (or Kenwood, or JVC et al) would like you to believe you need their special one.

I'd do the firmware update. It's not going to make it worse, and may make it better. :)

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Although not really car audio, it's not not car audio. Working on a little project and found this:

http://www.dx.com/p/1-0-led-car-mp3-player-module-w-fm-usb-mini-usb-sd-remote-controller-black-12v-126115#.VLa6WGd0xZY

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_126115_2.jpg

It's just a panel with an MP3 decoder and a USB port - and an FM tuner for kicks

Apparently these things come in a lot of different flavors, so it'd be really easy to roll your own MP3-playing add-on for a legacy stereo. It's $7!

With one of the small Class T or Class D amps and an old laptop power supply, you could build a tiny little stereo that mounts any where for not much money. Something like the Lepai LP7498E would add Bluetooth into the equation too... although that's probably overkill for a car at 100w RMS. ;)

However, it could be about right if someone wanted to mount a USB player and amp inside an old Boston Acoustics 555x and make a homebrew PA. :D

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Here is one that has BT 3.0 built in for $12.

http://www.dx.com/p/plug-in-multi-media-bluetooth-3-0-edr-mp3-player-module-w-sd-card-slot-usb-black-195461#.VLbAuGd0xZY

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_195461_3.jpg

I feel like I am going to buy a couple of these and do some experimenting.

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Man, Walmart.

Total bare-bones Pioneer DMC - basically the bottom-tier X370BT without Bluetooth or pre-amp outputs. But also only forty bucks. http://www.walmart.com/ip/DNP-Blitz-Pioneer-MVH-X171UI-Digital-Media-Receiver-with-Direct-Control-for-Apple-iPod-iPhone/38335639

Alternatively, same stereo but with a pair of 6.5" Pioneer speakers and a pair of 6x9" Pioneer speakers for $90. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-Car-Audio-Bundle-includes-CD-Receiver-plus-4-Speakers-DXT-X2769UI/38335638

Or, you can get the Sony version of the stereo with one pair of Kenwood 6.5" speakers and one pair of Sony 6.5" speakers for $112: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Stereo-Single-DIN-Receiver-4-Speakers-Bundle-From-Boss-Pioneer-Sony-more/13866085

None of this stuff is particularly notable, but you couldn't replicate this buying discrete. I hate giving any business to Walmart, but would it not be fitting in the Hyundai?

Godson
January 14th, 2015, 02:43 PM
You get what you pay for...

I say do it for the hyundai

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I say the Hyundai deserves it. :lol:

New Kenwoods have "Drive Change"

Here's a cool feature from Kenwood — Drive Change allows you to connect a memory card reader or USB hub to the Kenwood's USB input and select music from up to five memory cards or USB flash drives.

Mind: Blown.

Kenwood head unit, passive USB hub, 5 128gb flash drives = an insane amount of music.

Yw-slayer
January 14th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Whoa. if it plays FLAC then I could have my entire CD collection in FLAC stored on the drive.

The only question is whether it would organise it by "banks" of 1000 songs, which is what the very user-unfriendly Alpine in my BRZ does.

thesameguy
January 14th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Hilariously, Kenwood's digital media receivers support FLAC but not Drive Change, while their CD receivers support Drive Change and not FLAC. It could be that the digital media receivers haven't gotten their 2015 refresh yet, but who knows?

Also, did not know, but JVC and Kenwood merged in 2012. Weird.

Yw-slayer
January 15th, 2015, 07:05 AM
What is this, I don't even

Godson
January 15th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Wait, JVC and Kenwood merged????

KillerB
January 24th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Okay, this seems like a dumb question but I've had no luck so far - how can I find the shallowest DIN stereo out there? Nobody seems to list this dimension.

thesameguy
January 24th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I don't think anybody does. People list overall depth, but that doesn't tell you anything about the actual mounted depth.

From my experience, the Pioneer Media Receivers are the shallowest, with Kenwood coming in behind. I am not aware of anything shallower than the Pioneers.

This is a Kenwood:

http://www.elittestore.com.br/ecommerce_site/arquivos8180/arquivos/1388156713_3.jpg

Here is a Pioneer:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mVxx8TxGEB1HYpT_RjDXL6g.jpg

thesameguy
February 10th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Just want to complain again about the lack of good choices for car stereos. I "need" two stereos and I'd like to get three -

XR: I really want HD Radio, don't care about Bluetooth because it's too damned loud to hear anything anyway. I am liking the Kenwood KDC-458U here:

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/405/300/products/2014/3/113/x113HD458U-F.jpg

Suburban: I'd really like HD Radio and Bluetooth, so it's either the Kenwood KDC-X799 or the Pioneer DEH-X8700BH. I want the answer to be the Pioneer has a crappy integrated amp, so it's probably out. I don't want to buy or wire an amp.

http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/405/300/products/2015/3/113/x113KDCX799-F.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/405/300/products/2014/40/130/x130X8700BH-f.jpg

Santa Fe: All I care about is USB, and I might actually be willing to give that up. The JVC KD-X220 $70, which is about $30 more than the cheapest stereo widely available, and about $20 more than the cheapest name-brand stereo. It appears it can be ISO mounted, so it doesn't even require a dash kit. It might be the cheapest ISO-mountable stereo there is.

http://www.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/405/300/products/2014/48/105/x105KDX220-F.jpg

I think those are my options.

thesameguy
February 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Fry's had a sale on the JVC KD-R660 which is the same as the X220 except it adds AOA, a CD player, and another pair of pre-amp outputs. It was the same $70, so I pulled the trigger. Annoyingly, one of the main features that separates low-end JVCs is their lighting - they are either fixed red/white or fixed blue/white if they have Bluetooth. They are otherwise cosmetically all identical. I would have gone for the $70 R760 (also on sale) and gotten Bluetooth for free, but I did not want blue lighting. Lame.

Because I can't leave well enough alone, I installed the new JVC in the Fiero. I then moved it's stereo into the old Suburban, and the old Suburban's Clarion into the Hyundai. Because I make all my own harness adapters using Molex connectors it only takes about 5 minutes to swap a stereo. :up: Installing in the Santa Fe took about 30 - four screws pull out the whole center console, then just crimping Molex terminals onto the factory harness. NBD. I'm happy with the end result - the R660 matches the Fiero's red interior lighting well enough, the Fiero's old stereo is much more legible in the Suburban, and I never much liked the Clarion anyway so I'll be happy to see it go. :)

Anyhow, the R660 seems fine. I'm not sure why, but for some reason its sound is a lot less full that the stereo it replaced. It could be an EQ setting so I'll need to mess with that, but out of the box it's definitely a lot more tinny. The knob and buttons feel cheap, but it was $70 so you can't be mad at that. I do imagine this means *all* the single DIN JVCs feel cheap, though, since they all share a chassis now. Glad to have found that out this way. The interface is sensical and easy to use and it reads the 32gb flash drive much faster than the previous stereo which I like. Overall, it's a very solid $70 purchase.

(I also replaced the rear speakers in the Santa Fe as they were blown. The internet suggests it has 6.5" speakers, but that's LIES. They're not even 6.75" speakers. They're 7" speakers, totally unique to the car. :down: I ended up with $80 Kicker 6.75" speakers and using some fender washers to hold them in place. It's solid, no worries. I don't know why 6.75" speakers don't come cheaper than $80, but I am a little upset I spent $80 on it. Oh well. I'm sure I'll earn that back with miles I put on it. ;) )

A Kenwood 458U shows up today. I'm not sure whether it's going into the Saab or the XR4Ti.

thesameguy
March 4th, 2015, 10:11 AM
My plan didn't go quite according to plan, again. I ended up buying a Kenwood 458U and a 758U. Basically, they're the same stereo (CD, USB, AUX, HD Radio) but the 758 adds Bluetooth. Intention was to put the 458 in the Saab and 758 in the Suburban, but instead I put the 758 in the XR and will put the Saab's Pioneer in the Suburban. 14w RMS is just killing me, and the Suburban has the space for a discrete amp, so that's how it's gonna be.

I am initially *very* happy with Kenwood's '15 stereos. They aren't fancy, but they're inexpensive so I can't complain. I'd love to see things like dot matrix displays instead of '80s-tech digital segment displays and I have *no* idea why Kenwood would provide separate wires for antenna-trigger and remote-trigger but then DISABLE the remote-trigger, but they did. So '15 Kenwoods can't put down the antenna when the radio is not in use like, say, '08 Kenwoods could. Da fuq? Related, there is NO illumination input, so the stereo can't tell if it's day or night... I mean, forget dimming, how about just a different light level at midnight, ffs! Meh, I dunno. Again, the 458 is like $100 so I just can't get that mad.

On the upside, their non-fanciness means they look right at home in an '80s dash:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/xr_kenwoodstereo.jpg

It's about time someone recognized exactly who is buying all the single DIN stereos these days! :) Functionally:

o Interface makes sense, FINALLY. Kenwood has been struggling for years to make a UI that isn't a disaster area. It seems the merger with JVC has paid off here.
o Buttons all feel good, including the volume knob. It's no vintage, weighted thing but it's got good grip and isn't wobbly. :up:
o Lit Aux-In and USB ports is nothing short of great
o Output sounds very good. I am genuinely impressed with what's coming out of the speakers
o Display is crisp and easy to read, even in the SPG which is typically a problem
o HD radio tunes FAST but fairly poorly. The old Suburban with it's 10 year old DEI HD tuner takes a while to find HD stations but gets more. The Kenwood gets them almost instantly, but misses several. :down:
o It seems a little slow reading flash drives, similar in speed to the 10 year old JVC that's also in the Suburban. Many seconds slower than the Pioneer. Once parsed, it changes tracks and folders appropriately quickly. Playback quality is average - I've heard better, but still totally acceptable.
o My only, actual complaint about the thing is that the backlighting for the stereo preset buttons is useless during the day and the buttons are impossible to tell apart from one another. In the Saab, where the stereo is actually quite far away, this is a liability and the preset buttons are distractingly hard to find. I will probably get used to finding by dead reckoning, but truly I consider this to be an actual design flaw.

Overall, I'm happy. And, one last time, that KDC-HD458U is commonly $100. Kickass head unit for that price. :up:

Random
March 5th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Related, there is NO illumination input, so the stereo can't tell if it's day or night... I mean, forget dimming, how about just a different light level at midnight, ffs! Meh, I dunno. Again, the 458 is like $100 so I just can't get that mad.

How is this still a thing? That seems like a fundamental design flaw to me. :|

thesameguy
March 5th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I don't know. A while back I could sympathize because stereos were switching to LEDs and there are some issues dimming LEDs. But those considerations are all ancient history, it would be dead-simple to handle it all with an IC. Given number of people I see driving around with all their dash light on SCORCHING ULTRA BRIGHT I think it's just accepted that nobody cares about dimming anymore. :down:

The JVC in the Fiero has a weird solution - you can give it times to be on low brightness - eg, 7p-7a. Totally programmable. It's something, but, like, what?

Random
March 5th, 2015, 08:07 AM
The JVC in the Fiero has a weird solution - you can give it times to be on low brightness - eg, 7p-7a. Totally programmable. It's something, but, like, what?

That's creative. :lol: I've mentioned this before: the OEM Miata stereo doesn't dim either, but at least has a button that shuts off the backlight. BRUTE FORCE.

thesameguy
March 12th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Suburban is done getting its transfer case rebuilt and my LA trip has been postponed for two weeks. I think I have time to cram in a new stereo.

What I need is an amp or two - don't care if it's 2x2channel or 1x4channel. I am looking for <50w/channel and small. I actually don't even know where I'd install, but I guess under the front seats is the obvious choice? I dunno. Cheap and small.

Blaupunkt has a 4x55w that's 11x7
MB Quart a 100x4 that's 14x9,
RF a 75x4 that's 9x7
RF a 75x4 that's 7x4
Pioneer a 100x4 that's 11x7
Kenwood a 45x4 that's 5x4 (winner?)

Obviously the tiny ones are class D, which I've heard doesn't offer the best range. That probably doesn't affect me.

Then there are things like this:

http://www.amazon.com/SMC2-100-100-watts-Channel-Stable-Amplifier/dp/B00B5MUJNA/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426198804&sr=1-13&keywords=compact+2+channel+amp

which are soooooo tempting to try. How bad could an amp possibly be? (+ LOL@idiot reviewers)

Godson
March 12th, 2015, 04:14 PM
dude... try it!

thesameguy
March 12th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Tough call, right? That tiny Kenwood 4x45 is only $100, barely more than two of the Soundstream amps.

But, I do love adventure! :D

Godson
March 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM
4ohm = 25w x 2 channel.

But with it at 4"x3.125"x1.625, you could hide that shit anywhere.

thesameguy
March 12th, 2015, 10:15 PM
No doubt. And, really 25w RMS is plenty for just listening. I will pick up the truck tomorrow and measure some pockets. ;)

thesameguy
March 13th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I think I am going to go with one of the four channel amps. The SSL 2-channel amp at $30 isn't cheap enough to justify choosing it over a $100 4-channel amp with twice the output. It's only $40 on the table.

The Kenwood KAC-M1804 is 5-1/2"W x 3-9/16"D x 1-5/16"H and 4x45w at $100.
The Clarion XC1410 is 7-1/8"W x 2-3/4"D x 1-3/8"H and 4x50w at $95.

I think either will actually fit in the space where the factory CD player is. Leaning towards the Kenwood.

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 09:23 AM
I finally got to work on installing a stereo in the Suburban. I was going to hold off until I could work the amp into the budget, but it's not that difficult to pull the dash off so I figured I'd give it a go sans amp and see what that's like before committing the dollars.

The truck has a pair of Audiovox VOH-681A overhead LCD monitors installed in an aftermarket console. I've never tried them, I'm told one doesn't work. It has an Audiovox DVD player mounted in the console between the front seats facing the middle row, which I've never tried either. Buried in the dash are a pair of Audiovox FMM-100A FM modulators, which I presume feed sound from the screens to the truck's stereo. There is a Y adapter feeding the antenna output of the modulators to a single antenna input for the stereo. There is a wireless headphone transmitter mounted on the front window - I only know what it is because there was one in the Rodeo, too. I am embarrassed at my total lack of knowledge on this entire aspect of car electronics.

I don't initially understand the wiring, but I may be missing a piece. I don't understand why there are two FM modulators. It seems like the smart thing to do would have been run the audio from the DVD player straight to a single modulator, rather than what I presume they did and run the audio from the DVD player up to the two screens, and then back from the two screens to the two modulators. Like I said, though, I may be missing a piece. I just don't know where else stereo output from the DVD player would become a pair of stereo feeds. Maybe there is a reason to run audio to the screens?

It's totally painless to put this right back together the way it was - nothing disturbed, etc. But what I'd like to do is connect the DVD audio to the rear aux in on the Pioneer and dump the FM modulators. I just want to be sure of where the audio is coming from so I know how to merge it back together. The Pioneer (expectedly) has a 1/8" headphone jack, so I need to convert 4xRCA to 1xheadphone. Electrically there is no great way to do that - I can try a bunch of adapters, but that seems clumsy and noisy. Maybe it doesn't matter, though.

I know at least one person on this forum may have dealt with this stuff some! :) Any thoughts are appreciated - I really don't want to take the whole truck apart. Strike that. I'm not going to take this whole truck apart. :)

Oh - also - I made a cool little doodad to take the place of the factory CD player last night. I'm going to mount the USB ports and maybe next time a USB charging port or two like the motorhome. I've got the space. ;) The adapter is made using the bracket that held the CD player so it fits perfectly in the dash. IIRC it's 6.5" wide and 2" tall with a maximum depth of 6.75". That means the Kenwood amp will fit on the bracket - the Clarion is slightly too long. If I do end up needing an amp, there's a great place to put it. :up:

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 11:17 AM
Electrically there is no great way to do that - I can try a bunch of adapters, but that seems clumsy and noisy.

Ah, the internet.

Seems that adding a 10k resistor on each channel solves the issue of combining channels... a little balanced mini-mixer. Nice! Two pair of panel mount RCA jacks, a panel mount 1/8" stereo jack, four 10k resistors, a little wire, and a small project box. That's probably like $25 worth of crap, and I'm not sure what I win from it. Still kinda interested in doing it, though. :)

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 06:50 PM
Stereo installed sans amp and with the FM modulator. Good enough for now!

GM in their infinite wisdom not only made the "cubby" for the factory stereo a non-standard height (like 1.5 DIN) but also a non-standard depth. Same issue as the Solstice had - a big plastic bracket in all the wrong places deep in the dash. I could have made it work except the Pioneer stereo has a rear USB port in *exactly* the wrong place. I had just spent like 20 minutes carefully dissecting a USB A->B cable to remove about 2' in the middle (now it's a 1' USB cable :lol:) when this issue came up. My gud enuf solution was to remove the overmolding on the A side and scientifically bend the connector into a perfect 110 degree-ish angle. Then I melted some marine grade (ie, adhesive lined) heat shrink tubing around it to restore some structure and prevent an accidental ground problem. Solved? You bet.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_bentusb.jpg

Suburban now has a proper modern stereo and is ready for its road trip in two days. :up:

thesameguy
April 1st, 2015, 06:55 PM
Unrelated this is on sale at Fry's for $50 this week, and it's taking a lot of willpower to not buy it and figure out a way to adapt it to 12v to install in the Fleetwood.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/PLTTB9U_closeup_large.jpg

http://www.frys.com/product/8290886?site=72premail033115

Yah, it's a record player that also plays MP3s from SD or USB.

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2015, 10:39 PM
I just ate a steak that cost 50 bucks. Do it, BRO.

Random
April 2nd, 2015, 07:27 AM
Unrelated this is on sale at Fry's for $50 this week, and it's taking a lot of willpower to not buy it and figure out a way to adapt it to 12v to install in the Fleetwood.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/PLTTB9U_closeup_large.jpg

http://www.frys.com/product/8290886?site=72premail033115

Yah, it's a record player that also plays MP3s from SD or USB.

I've got a copy of "Wild Thing" on vinyl, if that help tip you one way or the other... :D

George
April 2nd, 2015, 08:05 AM
I have some old KISS albums you might be interested in, at top-dollar collector prices, of course.

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/972864/philips-auto-mignon-car-record-player-gallery.jpg

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 08:58 AM
You still wanting input from the DVD stuffs?

neanderthal
April 2nd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Link for the tiny Kenwood amp please?

My Benz has some audio issues that seem amp related. Why get two replacement OEM amps that are also already 20 years old when I can get new ones with more functionality built in?

thesameguy
April 2nd, 2015, 11:01 AM
You still wanting input from the DVD stuffs?

If you have any thoughts on why it goes DVD -> splitter -> each overhead console -> multiplexer -> radio I'd love to know. Splitting things out and then merging them right back together seems weird. I know there is something I am missing but I don't know what. :(

Link for the tiny Kenwood amp please?

My Benz has some audio issues that seem amp related. Why get two replacement OEM amps that are also already 20 years old when I can get new ones with more functionality built in?

The model names are in the post on the middle the previous page - I think KAC-1804 is it. Everywhere carries it, Sonic Electronix, Crutchfield, Amazon, etc. Do you still have the stock stereo in it? Your issue could be the volume encoder - it causes random channels to drop out sometimes. That problem is why I replaced the stereo in mine. Still using the stock amp! :)

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Most likely so they can watch a movie while another plays a game. Do the Consoles have AUX inputs and what not?

thesameguy
April 2nd, 2015, 11:13 AM
SMH, I have no idea.

But the installation manual that is posted online suggests they each have three inputs. That makes way more sense. So I guess I probably want to preserve the split/mux configuration that's there and build my little mini-mixer. :up: Good deal, now that little project is totally defensible.

Any guesses on what might have failed on one of the screens? I've never checked it out, don't know what the symptoms are. Any common things to check? I mean, it's 10 years old and deserves to fail, it'd just be nice if it's a fuse or something. :)

thesameguy
April 2nd, 2015, 02:55 PM
So far I am satisfied with the audio output of the un-amped Pioneer. The fact that the Suburban has much larger speakers than the Saab is a big help - more sound from the same power. We'll see how I feel after 20 hours listening to it. :)

I polished the face the blockoff plate for no good reason - next time the dash comes off I'm going to cover it with some vinyl film or a piece of plastic. It's just a quick & dirty proof of concept right now.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_pioneerinstalled.jpg

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 03:05 PM
I'd check power to the screen first and foremost. I'd bet something got spilled on it somewhere and did the damage. I honestly haven't truly diagnosed a dvd screen outside of power, ground, continuity...

Random
April 2nd, 2015, 03:22 PM
Shopping for a replacement stereo for the Focus: the feature that seems to pare down the stereo selection the most at Crutchfield is "clock display." Heh.

Does Fry's still have the Wall'o'Stereo so that I can go push buttons on the various JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer offerings?

neanderthal
April 2nd, 2015, 04:18 PM
If you have any thoughts on why it goes DVD -> splitter -> each overhead console -> multiplexer -> radio I'd love to know. Splitting things out and then merging them right back together seems weird. I know there is something I am missing but I don't know what. :(

The model names are in the post on the middle the previous page - I think KAC-1804 is it. Everywhere carries it, Sonic Electronix, Crutchfield, Amazon, etc. Do you still have the stock stereo in it? Your issue could be the volume encoder - it causes random channels to drop out sometimes. That problem is why I replaced the stereo in mine. Still using the stock amp! :)

Yeah the "pot" is going out on the stock stereo, so I have random results if I turn the volume up or down. I could go to the guitar store and buy DeOxit and slightly mill a WD-40 straw to get it to fit in the hole for the volume knob, spray it and let it get al the contamination and gunk off and have a working volume knob again.

But, I really want a stereo with bluetooth and aux in. I don't mind fitting a later MB stock stereo to keep the "look" so I am looking at CLK and W204 stereos too.
The other problem I have is that there are speakers that are out. No sound. All on the left. Except for muted high frequency sounds. I think that means my amp powering the left side is done. I know I have blown the left door sub, but it should be giving me that blown speaker sound.
I reckon two small amps, two 6 inch component speakers, (woofers go in the door location, tweeters in the base of the A pillar behind the mirror,) and two 5"25 speakers for the front deck and a head unit and I have a nice stereo. Trying to find one that doesn't light up like an amusement park is another thing. the rear speakers are actually very good in the 95 W124s (a woofer and two tweeter arrangement on either side) and you don't get as good imaging from changing the rear speakers. I'll be mostly using them for fill anyway.

But, that all happens once I get to 200k miles. I could start getting the pieces together right now though, since i'm at 197k.

Oh, buying two small amps allows me to bridge one channel to power an amp for a sub, in the future. One amp powers the deck speakers, the front of the other powers the door, while the rear is bridged to power a 8" sub, probably in the first aid kit on the hat shelf.

neanderthal
April 2nd, 2015, 04:22 PM
Shopping for a replacement stereo for the Focus: the feature that seems to pare down the stereo selection the most at Crutchfield is "clock display." Heh.

Does Fry's still have the Wall'o'Stereo so that I can go push buttons on the various JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer offerings?

Yeah, but it's a lot more derelict wall now. Same with Best Buy. I guess OEM stereos aren't getting replaced as much as they used to.

thesameguy
April 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
Yeah the "pot" is going out on the stock stereo, so I have random results if I turn the volume up or down. I could go to the guitar store and buy DeOxit and slightly mill a WD-40 straw to get it to fit in the hole for the volume knob, spray it and let it get al the contamination and gunk off and have a working volume knob again.

I tried that repeatedly and got nowhere. I still have the stereo I think - I kept it in case I decided to get more invasive, but I really just can't be arsed to think that hard about 25 year old tech.

But, I really want a stereo with bluetooth and aux in. I don't mind fitting a later MB stock stereo to keep the "look" so I am looking at CLK and W204 stereos too.

I think if you want Bluetooth you'll need to go aftermarket. BT is way too new to be present on a single-DIN factory stereo - or probably even a stereo that can work without CAN or something.

The other problem I have is that there are speakers that are out. No sound. All on the left. Except for muted high frequency sounds. I think that means my amp powering the left side is done. I know I have blown the left door sub, but it should be giving me that blown speaker sound.

It's been a while since I thought about this, but I'm not sure what you think is what's happening. I am assuming you have the system with two amps in the trunk (left and right) rather than the system that has a single amp just for the bass. Have you tried swapping the connectors to be sure it's the amp? Based on what you're describing, I think it's the volume knob. It's exactly the same symptoms I had - exactly.

I reckon two small amps, two 6 inch component speakers, (woofers go in the door location, tweeters in the base of the A pillar behind the mirror,) and two 5"25 speakers for the front deck and a head unit and I have a nice stereo. Trying to find one that doesn't light up like an amusement park is another thing. the rear speakers are actually very good in the 95 W124s (a woofer and two tweeter arrangement on either side) and you don't get as good imaging from changing the rear speakers. I'll be mostly using them for fill anyway.

Look at the KDC-458U like I have in the SPG. There's a photo on a previous page. Doesn't get more conservative than that in the current market. I'm very happy with it.

Oh, buying two small amps allows me to bridge one channel to power an amp for a sub, in the future. One amp powers the deck speakers, the front of the other powers the door, while the rear is bridged to power a 8" sub, probably in the first aid kit on the hat shelf.

That unfortunately will not work. These tiny amps are not bridgeable. You need a much higher end amp to get bridging.

thesameguy
April 2nd, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'd check power to the screen first and foremost. I'd bet something got spilled on it somewhere and did the damage. I honestly haven't truly diagnosed a dvd screen outside of power, ground, continuity...

Power works, both with a button and the remote. What does not work is the "source select," or with a button or the remote. The screen powers on and does a self test, but nothing further. On the working screen, when it comes up it says VIDEO1 and the source select cycles between 2, 3, TV. Not sure what would cause this failure, but it obviously isn't a power issue. Looks like an electronics issue. :(

Random
April 2nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Speaking of HD radio, is Club Phusion (101.1-2) any good?

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 06:56 PM
It does not mention a source that it is in?

When that happened on my stuff, I'd replace it. No money of circuit board repairs.

thesameguy
April 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
Speaking of HD radio, is Club Phusion (101.1-2) any good?

I haven't listened to it very long - I just found it a few weeks ago when I installed the stereo in the XR, and I've been mostly driving the Fiero which doesn't have radio (no antenna).

It does not mention a source that it is in?

When that happened on my stuff, I'd replace it. No money of circuit board repairs.

Yeah, it says nothing - fried brain seems likely. I may take it apart to see if there is anything glaringly wrong, but chances are it's just dead and I don't care. :) If I found a working one for cheap I'd go ahead and swap it, but I'm not throwing $100 at a monitor for third row seating when a) I will never use the third row seating and b) I will never use any of the monitors. :D

Godson
April 3rd, 2015, 03:47 PM
Annnnnd now you know why I don't fix monitors and shit :lol:

Random
April 9th, 2015, 02:36 PM
JVC KD-X320BTS: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX320B/JVC-KD-X320BTS.html

vs.

Kenwood KMM-BT213U: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMBT312/Kenwood-KMM-BT312U.html

JVC is cheaper and does 24-bit D/A. Both play FLAC. Anything jump out about one or the other that I should know about?

Godson
April 9th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Kenwood requires an optional cable to directly connect phone to the HU.

JVC is stereo wheel control compatible (needs adapter), Kenwood can not.

JVC has the ability to use a USB hub and select between USB drives. I don't know how useful this really is when flash drives hold shit tons of data now for super cheap.

Random
April 9th, 2015, 02:59 PM
No wheel controls in the Focus, so that's not an issue.Seeing reviews that say both have super bright displays, even when dimmed. :|

thesameguy
April 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Those are the same faceplates as I've got in the Fiero (JVC) and the Saab/XR (Kenwood). I am guessing the electronics work the same, so the JVC doesn't have dimming with the lights and since it's a Bluetooth model the illumination is locked to blue/white. I like the buttons on the JVC far better - they are easier to find without looking - but the volume knob is kinda sucky in comparison. Still, I think using the JVC is easier, but the locked illumination is 100% a deal killer for me. I'd have to go Kenwood.

thesameguy
April 9th, 2015, 03:49 PM
+ Sonic Electronix is waiving tax on purchases right now, and they do include the dash kit.

CudaMan
April 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Hm. Further thoughts on the 350Z sounds. SQ seems a little lacking. I've played with the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X940BT), and I traditionally have been happy with Pioneer head units, so I'm thinking perhaps the speakers are the weakest link. The PO put something aftermarket in, I don't know what, and it takes some effort to reach them behind all the trim. Might keep my eyes peeled for a screaming deal on four 6.5s and see if things improve. K.I.S.S.

Oddly enough the OEM '06 MX-5 stereo seems good enough so we'll leave it alone. Just a shame the iPod adapter doesn't work.

Random
April 10th, 2015, 08:48 AM
SE's website is not Chrome friendly. Funky.

edit: no, it's apparently broken on both browsers here at work. Weird.

thesameguy
April 10th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Well, it wouldn't matter anyway because the JVC is the same price and they don't stock the Kenwood. :lol: OTOH, I guess the upside is that if you do the JVC from SE you do get the dash kit, whereas you don't at Crutchfield (item needs to be over $100 or $120). Meh. :)

thesameguy
April 13th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Got my order from partsexpress.com and built me a little two channel mixer for the Suburban:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_mixer1.jpg
http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_mixer2.jpg

Two stereo RCA in mixes into one 1/8" stereo headphone jack out. Apparently this circuit results in a 6db attenuation, which shouldn't be a problem. Now I really need to decide whether to install an amp or not, because I am only taking the dashboard apart one more time. Right now I'm actually leaning towards not - the Suburban is quiet enough and the factory speakers large enough 14w RMS doesn't seem to be a problem. Even with the windows down there was plenty of volume for listening. I think I am inclined to save the money and keep it as-is. Plus, if I install an amp I'll want new speakers and that's just not necessary. Maybe the better approach is wait til something breaks and then consider an audio system overhaul. I like that.

neanderthal
April 13th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that's smart thinking.

thesameguy
April 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Those idiots at Best Buy have a very good price on last year's Kenwood 558U:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood-cd-built-in-bluetooth-car-stereo-receiver/3162733.p?id=1219088491853&skuId=3162733&acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

I doubt the price will last, but $70 for this head unit is quite good.

Godson
April 27th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Is the color only blue? I really need to replace the POS factory unit in the 996, I would prefer dual din, but finances right now require me to keep the stock unit, or to go with a super cheapy.

thesameguy
April 27th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Nope, fully variable. It was a mid/high end unit last year.

Godson
April 28th, 2015, 06:06 PM
NLA...

Godson
April 28th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I hate stereo shopping. Dual Din chasing is a hassle. Pioneer offers the ability to turn the screen off, which is a HUGE plus for me. I know I am several months out from buying anything stereo related, but this factory unit flat out blows. It has a hard time reading cds that even the shittiest CD player has no problem.

thesameguy
April 29th, 2015, 11:20 AM
It's a 16 year old CD player... I'd kinda expect that! CD players in cars were still fairly new in '99. Most cars still had tape players as standard equipment.

thesameguy
May 4th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Now there is this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-3-5-built-in-bluetooth-car-stereo-receiver-black-silver/3450004.p?id=1219091559960&skuId=3450004&acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

Godson
May 4th, 2015, 09:49 PM
damn....

I might pick that up just to have it sitting around.

Random
May 4th, 2015, 10:11 PM
18 AM presets!

Who designs this stuff?!

KillerB
May 6th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Dear car audio manufacturers:

I want something that does the following:
- Double DIN
- Touchscreen
- iPhone connectivity that will basically just mirror the display in the Music and Maps apps (preferably the Google Maps app which still shits on Apple's Maps app)
- Inputs for a few cameras
- SiriusXM
- A 50Wx4 amp

Nothing else.

Kchrpm
May 7th, 2015, 05:58 AM
"Give me specific fancy features, and nothing else."

Kickstart that shit!

thesameguy
May 12th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I pulled the dash apart again to modify my little CD player replacement insert thingy...

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_pioneerinstalled.jpg

Originally I was going to make a mixer, but it turns out that my understanding of the wiring in the dash was totally wrong. I had thought there were audio feeds from each of the screens, but that is not the case. There are actually three sources coming from the back of the truck - RCA for the DVD player, RCA for an aux input, and an FM-encoded stream from an antenna connection. The mixer would have worked, but it was unnecessary complexity. Instead I made this little jack panel:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_sourceselect.jpg

Finding a 4PDT switch that isn't a monstrosity turns out to be easier than soldering a 4PDT switch that isn't a monstrosity. :) But, the toggle lets me choose which pair of RCA connectors are in play, and outputs them to an 1/8" headphone jack which connects to the rear aux in on the head unit. Now the DVD player and rear aux in skip the FM modulators, and I saved a mountain of wiring and dash space. I still need to figure out how the remaining FM-encoded signal works, but I think I don't have any choice but to leave it as is. If someone actually feels compelled enough to plug in an audio source to the screens directly they can live with shitty fidelity. :)

There is *still* room in this part of the dash for that little Kenwood amp, BTW. :)

thesameguy
May 12th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Those few components and tiny amount of wiring resulted in losing all this from the Suburban:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/misc/99suburban_extrastereowires.jpg

I'll point out that one of those wires is a 16' antenna extension cable, which was used to bridge a 1.5' gap. 14.5' of cable was coiled up under the front carpet.

Random
May 12th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Think of the weight savings!

thesameguy
May 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM
A quick drive suggests I've shaved a good one thousandth off the quarter.

thesameguy
June 6th, 2015, 05:35 PM
It's not really audio but I thought I'd mention:

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BP2.0HD?utm_source=Customer+List&utm_campaign=5ed1691a90-NewProductsDashCam6_5_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ad86343d13-5ed1691a90-89562761

Seems like a decent price for a brand name HD dash cam. I keeping thinking about having one for... random stuff. :)

Yw-slayer
June 7th, 2015, 12:15 AM
They're always useful. I shopped a cab driver for cutting in front of, and almost into, a cyclist. I expect at least a warning letter, and hopefully a conviction for careless driving, as it ensured that it was pretty much open-and-shut.

thesameguy
June 7th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I always worry that footage will be used against me on account of my predilection for speed, but I would really like exactly those details for exactly those reasons. Not quite sure American infrastructure is ready for that sort of evidence, but it can't hurt to try.

Kchrpm
June 8th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Seems like a decent price for a brand name HD dash cam. I keeping thinking about having one for... random sex on the hood. :)
FTFY

thesameguy
June 8th, 2015, 01:41 PM
The burlesque girls have requisitioned the Jag for a parady remake of the song I obviously don't need to name as part of an '80s themed show. It's probably not an option for other reasons, but I do happen to have s spare black hood at the moment....

novicius
June 8th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Pics dammit, PIIIIICS!!!1! :D

thesameguy
June 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
If it happens, I'm sure it will end up on that youtube thing.

Godson
June 13th, 2015, 02:06 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood-7-cd-dvd-built-in-bluetooth-apple-ipod-ready-in-dash-receiver-black/3252004.p?id=1219089561335&skuId=3252004

I am trying really hard to NOT buy this for the 996.

Godson
June 13th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Ignore that, crutchfield has scratch and dent stuff that is current models for the same price.

Trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the Pioneer AVH-X4600BT (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X4600BT/Pioneer-AVH-X4600BT.html?cc=07&tp=20217) or the JVC KW-V50BT (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWV50B/JVC-KW-V50BT.html?cc=07&tp=20217)

Godson
June 13th, 2015, 02:50 PM
JVC just ordered...

I guess I'll be keeping the 911 afterall.

novicius
June 13th, 2015, 04:12 PM
:up: :up: on keeping the Porka.

TheBenior
June 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I guess I'll be keeping the 911 afterall.

You're gonna meet so many dudes.

Godson
June 13th, 2015, 05:41 PM
You're gonna meet so many dudes.

:(

thesameguy
June 15th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Newegg has the Pioneer SPH-DA120 for $399, and you can get Best Buy to price match that. Pioneer has a rebate for this head unit when purchased from an authorized reseller:

http://www.pioneerrebates.com/Authorized/TermsAndConditions/TermsAndConditions.aspx

$299 for this head unit is a screaming deal. Sadly, I have no cars which will accept a double-DIN stereo at this time so this does me ZERO GOOD.

Drachen596
June 18th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Do the car stereo makers use the same connectors fo their entire line up?

i have a low end clarion that is useless at night as none of the buttons light up. Id like to replace it with minimal effort.

thesameguy
June 18th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Maybe. Generally a connector is specific to a line of stereos within a brand, but some manufacturers use the same connectors across all their stereos for a period of time.

I feel like Clarion is a weird brand, because they sometimes rebrand stereos from no-names - although it seems they mostly do that on oddball stereos rather than their staple, bread & butter models. You can probably search ebay for your model # and "wiring harness" to get a list of other stereos that share the same one. Or cross your fingers and use Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix photos. :)

thesameguy
June 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM
One thing worth mentioning is that *most* stereos these days use common (I think DIN) coloring for wires, so switching harnesses shouldn't be a big deal... Just buy 14 or 15 butt connectors and match 'em up - blue for remote/antenna, black for ground, red for switched power, yellow for battery, orange for illumination, and white/grey/green/violet for speakers. Do one at a time - cut an old wire, splice a new matching wire on. :up: You can buy posilock connectors (http://www.posi-products.com/) to make the installation even easier, no crimping.

thesameguy
August 11th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Not shopping, but would like to call attention to this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9QfSBUTUMCO/p_158XB100BT/Sony-MEX-XB100BT.html

4x40w RMS

21Kid
August 11th, 2015, 01:51 PM
nice.

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Put a $70 stereo in the F150 so I have music going to SoCal

OR

Buy a $30 MP3 player and use the existing stereo's aux in jack.

OR

Buy a $16 Bluetooth adapter into the existing stereo's aux in jack and stream music from a phone.

GO.

Hmm, one note: The only option that actually costs money is the BT adapter. I have a $93.21 gift card to Fry's I've been camped on since July, so stereo and MP3 player are covered. The $16 BT thingy is a cash purchase from Amazon or Monoprice or something.

George
January 13th, 2016, 02:23 PM
OR

realize it's a pickup truck and enjoy it as God and Henry Ford intended:

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/98-07-ford-f150-f-series-econoline-van-am-fm-radio-50-americanlisted_33408029.jpg

Four presets, baby!

Well, I guess that could be considered eight presets, but that's only if you listen to FM also.

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I have no synergy with conservative Christian talk radio. Our mission statements are decidedly not aligned despite a best-efforts approach. I will not be picking up that option, it has been determined from all vectors to have irreconcilable issues. An alternative approach has been deemed necessary, and my focus will be to pursue one.

Yw-slayer
January 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Use phone with aux in by buying an extension cord?

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I considered that option, but I really don't like wires and cables strung across the cabin - and that'd go double on the F150 due to it being really wide and having a really long shifter directly below the stereo.

I pulled the trigger on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Streaming-BR-C8/dp/B0168GBMCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452731059&sr=8-1&keywords=aukey+brc8

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/B0569554374/Aukey-Bluetooth-4.0-Wireless-Music-Receiver.jpg

because it's $15.99 and I had a $12 credit hanging around from a cancelled order. It comes with a 3-way USB cigarette lighter charger doodad, so that'll help keep the phone charged while playing. Seemed like a good all around setup for very little money.

George
January 13th, 2016, 03:51 PM
That looks pretty cool, and thanks to some awesome on-the-job training, I understood everything in post #244.

I had one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Machspeed-CarTunes-MAX-FM-Transmitter/dp/B001L34O8Y) for a couple years and it worked fine for listening to downloaded Old Time Radio shows, but it truly sucked for music. Talk about your AM radio sound!

Not recommended, but very cheap:

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/M450-4060_chiclet01_ac_mn_4298118.jpg

For ten bucks, the CorpSpeakers among us might even call that "low hanging fruit". :up:

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I believe "FM transmitter" is actually "lowest common denominator." :D

I've had a couple of those doodads over the years (those years being 1999-2003) and they do indeed suck. Bluetooth isn't great, but neither is a 1994 F150. :P

speedpimp
January 14th, 2016, 10:57 AM
It's not like the truck came with an 8-track player and you use an 8 track to cassette adapter with a cassette adapter hooked up to your satellite radio.

thesameguy
January 14th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I don't know what it came with! It has a Kenwood CD player in there now. :)