PDA

View Full Version : Facebook went way over the line with this one

Sad, little man
January 24th, 2014, 06:33 PM
For a long time, I have prided myself in the fact that facebook did not have my birthday on file. In fact, I never gave fuckerberg any really useful personal information.

Well, something came up where I had to pay for something through fb. No big deal I figured, I'm planning on changing banks, so I'll just use my current debit card, knowing that even if it somehow gets kept on file, it will be invalid within a month or two.

And now, all of a sudden, guess what showed up in my personal info!? The bastards somehow pulled my birthday from my debit card information. That's all I can surmise. I've never willingly given it to them, having joined before it was mandatory. And now, all of a sudden, it shows up. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how else it might have gotten there, but I don't think there's any other way.

I know it's just a birthday, but it's the principle of it. :mad:

Sad, little man
January 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Yep, sure enough, it's there in the terms and conditions of payment. Fucking creepy bastards.

G'day Mate
January 24th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah, that's too much info sharing. I'd lose confidence in my bank under those circumstances.

harper
January 24th, 2014, 06:58 PM
How did you have to pay for something through Facebook? Odd.

Sad, little man
January 24th, 2014, 07:05 PM
It was that stupid rule where if you send someone a message you aren't friends with, it gets banished to a place they will never see unless you pay $1. That in itself is ridiculous, but I figured screw it, it was kind of important to me, and I'll just give them a number that I'm planning on making invalid soon enough. I never guessed that they'd skim personal info from a card number.

I'm seriously weighing the cost of social isolation by getting rid of facebook compared to the value retaining my dearly held privacy. The whole thing is getting too damn shady at this point.

Random
January 24th, 2014, 07:16 PM
:? I've sent many messages to non-friends and gotten replies without paying. Weird.

sandydandy
January 24th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Messages from people you don't know go into your 'Other' box. I had so many I never knew about until I happened to see the folder by chance. Mostly garbage messages.

Sad, little man
January 24th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I think this was a fairly recent change... Over the last year or so. Anyway, yeah, there is this bizarre "other" folder that things sometimes go to. The site gives you no obvious notification when something new comes into there.

SkylineObsession
January 24th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I 'left' Facebook nearly a year ago (or a long time anyway) as i was getting bloody sick of people taking things i say the wrong way, so in the end i blocked everyone (including my wife etc) and hid absolutely everything i could from public view.
Only reason i kept it, is because i run a few pages and of course you need a FB account for that...

Yw-slayer
January 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM
This is why I don't have an account. <NELSON>HA HA!!

LHutton
January 25th, 2014, 12:29 AM
This is why I don't have an account. <NELSON>HA HA!!
+1

No Facebook, no Twitter, no Mobile, no problems.

Cam
January 25th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Sounds like you got scammed.

GreatScawt
January 25th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Messages from people you don't know go into your 'Other' box. I had so many I never knew about until I happened to see the folder by chance. Mostly garbage messages.

Interesting. That might explain why that hottie I met in MA never got back to me. Yeah... that's my excuse. >_>

sandydandy
January 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Interesting. That might explain why that hottie I met in MA never got back to me. Yeah... that's my excuse. >_> Works for me too.

Rob
January 25th, 2014, 10:40 AM
ITT: we discover that nobody wants to associate with Z07 away from the forum either.

FaultyMario
January 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Yeah, that came as a shock to me too.