PDA

View Full Version : Halo 5 for XBONE

novicius
January 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM

[Continued from here (http://gtxfrefuge.freeforums.org/halo-5-for-xbone-t1761.html).]

Halo 5 Confirmed to Arrive on Xbox One in 2014 (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-5-Confirmed-to-Arrive-on-Xbox-One-in-2014-414146.shtml)

Although the next Halo game has been skipped from the list of upcoming titles for 2014, it appears that the reasons are purely related to marketing.

Given the fact that the game has yet to receive an official name, the next Halo title has been skipped by the online gaming press. Well, it appears that Halo Senior PR Manager Rob Semsey took it to Twitter to explain that the reason the title did not appear on some lists for upcoming 2014 games was the fact that the official name of the game had not been announced yet.

Semsey also confirms in another tweet that Halo 5, or whatever the name, will be launched on Xbox One sometime this year: “Rest assured your next Halo journey WILL begin in 2014.”

No details on the release timeframe have been unveiled though, so stay tuned for more updates on the matter.

novicius
January 8th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Halo TV Series Won't Be Filler, Will Get More People into the Franchise (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-TV-Series-Won-t-Be-Filler-Will-Get-More-People-into-the-Franchise-414487.shtml)

Microsoft has talked a bit more about the upcoming Halo TV series from noted filmmaker Steven Spielberg, confirming that the story of the new property won't be a filler and that it will actually attract way more people to the brand than just any other game.

The Halo franchise has seen the release of many games over the years but also comic book or even novels, not to mention the special live action mini-series Halo: Forward Unto Dawn, which paved the way for 2012's Halo 4 game. The series is set to see the release of a new Halo game for the Xbox One this year, but also a TV series made in partnership with Steven Spielberg.

According to Microsoft's Phil Spencer, who talked with OXM (http://www.oxm.co.uk/68935/halo-is-our-most-important-ip-says-microsoft-tv-show-wont-be-filler/), the new show will be a proper Halo experience, not just something designed to fill the gap between games.

"I think there’s a story in the Halo games that’s noteworthy, and that we can introduce more people to the IP by putting the franchise, stories, and characters in more accessible mediums than a first person shooter. That’s a good thing for Halo, a good thing for the platform, and a good thing for the IP owners."

"I definitely don’t think of it as filler. Halo, you could argue, is the most important entertainment IP that Microsoft owns. I can’t use the word filler anywhere near Halo, it just won’t work. If we’re going to do a television series with Halo, we’re going to do it the right way, and we’re going to do it because we think it really matters."

Spencer then compared Microsoft's efforts with the Halo series with The Walking Dead franchise, which first started off as comic books but then evolved into a TV show and got a successful video game adaptation.

"I’m a big Walking Dead fan," Spencer admitted. "I’ve read the comics and graphic novels; the IP has grown and became more accessible as it hit TV, then went to videogames where it did incredibly well, and I think that strategy of growing and deepening what the franchise and IP is about is a good strategy for an IP holder."

As of yet, it's unclear when the new Halo TV series will debut.
Eh, as long as it shows up on Netflix, I'm down. :up:

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Halo Live Action Movie Coming from Director Ridley Scott – Report (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-Live-Action-Movie-Coming-from-Director-by-Ridley-Scott-Report-416265.shtml)

Microsoft Denies Halo Movie Plans (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Denies-Halo-Movie-Plans-416790.shtml)

:lol:

novicius
January 15th, 2014, 08:13 AM
New Halo Game with Online Features Coming to Xbox 360 – Report (http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Halo-Game-with-Online-Features-Coming-to-Xbox-360-Report-416096.shtml)

A brand new report has appeared online citing a job listing from 343 Industries, the current developer of the Halo series, which advertises a position of Online and Connected Experience Engineer. The applicant must have experience with current-gen consoles and they will work on a new title in the Halo universe.

343 Industries is working on quite a few projects nowadays, with one of the biggest being the already-confirmed Halo 5 for the Xbox One next-gen platform. At the same time, other projects are in development and, according to a new job listing, one of them involves a triple-A Halo game with online features that might appear on the Xbox 360. The listing, found by DualShockers (http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/12/microsoft-and-343-industries-working-on-a-new-aaa-halo-game-with-online-features/), is looking for an Online Engineer that has experience with current-gen platforms and has worked on online services, possibly hinting at microtransactions for the new game.

Unfortunately, 343 Industries hasn't confirmed anything about the new game.
Huz-wuh...?? :twitch:

Halo 5 for 360? Man, I'm prayin' it's true! :D

Kchrpm
January 15th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Halo 2 anniversary edition!

Nick T
January 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Halo 2 anniversary edition!
Don't tease me with such things

novicius
February 5th, 2014, 07:11 AM
The rumor has been going around for more than a few weeks now.

Halo 2 Anniversary for Xbox One Not Ruled Out by Microsoft (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-2-Anniversary-for-Xbox-One-Not-Ruled-out-by-Microsoft-423975.shtml)

Microsoft's Phil Spencer has not denied recent reports about a Halo 2 Anniversary high-definition remake for the Xbox One, as opposed to other rumors concerning a lower-priced Xbox One or other such things. A variety of upcoming Microsoft titles and plans were leaked last week, including the possibility of a Halo 2 Anniversary remake for the Xbox One console.

While talking on Twitter with a fan who asked about such a title, Microsoft's Phil Spencer revealed that he never gets tired of answering questions about the company's plans but that he "can't always answer as we need news at events."

He also ended the tweet saying that, "Halo 2 is a good game."

As such, it's pretty obvious that a Halo 2 Anniversary remake is coming in the near future, especially since this year marks the 10-year anniversary of Halo 2's original launch.

novicius
May 23rd, 2014, 11:17 AM

Halo 5: Guardians Continues the Story of Halo 4, Focuses on Master Chief's Role (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-5-Guardians-Continues-the-Story-of-Halo-4-Focuses-on-Master-Chief-s-Role-442935.shtml)

Halo 5: Guardians has just received some more details about its story, with developer 343 Industries revealing that it will focus more on Master Chief's train of thought and his role in the UNSC and the current state of the franchise's universe.

Halo 4 kicked off a brand new stage of Master Chief's journey and 343 Industries revealed, at that time, that it was heralding the start of a new trilogy for the popular character. Last week, the studio and publisher Microsoft presented the first details about Halo 5: Guardians, the next stage in the new trilogy, which is set to appear for the Xbox One in fall of 2015. The studio talked a bit more about the story with The Guardian, confirming through the voice of creative director Frank O'Connor that it will pick up from where Halo 4 left off, placing a bigger emphasis on the internal struggle of Master Chief.

"This is a continuation of the story from Halo 4," O'Connor revealed. "When we left him in Halo 4, he's in a really challenging position. He's questioning many things he once firmly believed were true. He's lost his best friend, he's questioning his past and his purpose, he's question who he is fighting for."

This midway point in the new trilogy will offer a new perspective for Master Chief, and the studio confirms that it will treat his past while setting up for the future Halo 6, which will conclude the saga.

"For us this is a really interesting point. For the first time he's questioning everything he's done for the UNSC in the past. Just as with past titles, we're being really open about the fact that we want to tell this story over more than one game – this is about Master Chief's journey: it's about his past and his future."

O'Connor also shined a spotlight into the current state of the protagonist and mentioned that the things he went through in past games have taken a toll on the hero.

"If you look at Halo 1, 2 and 3 and know the origin story and know the fiction well, Master Chief is our hero, he is you, and he is saving humanity... but it’s been at a huge cost to his life and there are things going on – you saw them in 4 – that make him question who is calling the shots. Is he doing the right thing? That's very interesting for us to explore."

Halo 5: Guardians launches next fall for the Xbox One. It will be accompanied by the TV series that's being developed by Steven Spielberg.
Sounds like the plot to Captain America: TWS... which I greatly enjoyed so bring on the shallow plagiarism!! :D

Also Halo 5: Guardians Runs at 60fps and Has Dedicated Multiplayer Servers (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-5-Guardians-Runs-at-60fps-and-Has-Dedicated-Multiplayer-Servers-442638.shtml). Should cut down on the cheating... "should".

novicius
June 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Halo: The Master Chief Collection Confirmed for November 11 on Xbox One (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Halo-The-Master-Chief-Collection-Confirmed-for-November-11-on-Xbox-One-445970.shtml)

Microsoft has made a big announcement during the E3 2014 press conference, confirming that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will debut on Xbox One and that it contains Halo 1, 2, 3, and 4, not to mention access into the Halo 5: Guardians beta that will take place this winter holiday season.

All four games will run beautifully on the Xbox One but Halo 2 has received the Anniversary treatment, allowing players to shift from the old to the new visuals. It also has the multiplayer mode that was included in the original release 10 years ago, complete with all of its 100 maps. All games will run at 1080p resolution and 60fps on dedicated servers, meaning its multiplayer will perform as smooth as possible. The collection also includes access to Halo Nightfall, the digital project made by Ridley Scott.

Last but not least, this fall Halo: The Master Chief Collection owners will be able to join the Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta. It will feature the Arena mode running at 60fps on dedicated servers so expect some great things. Expect to hear much more in the near future about Halo: The Master Chief Collection, as Microsoft is sure to hype it up as we get closer to the November launch.
:popcorn:

Alan P
June 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM
If they do this on PC I'll buy it. Loved Halo 1 on PC.

novicius
June 15th, 2015, 05:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di7y5Oi0Ac8

Looks *so* good!! :up: :up:

Multiplayer mode: Warzone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=av-N5smXFpw&list=PLsiJPoHlPqEHxDHEmoAi7ebcjsYadVTcV

novicius
October 23rd, 2015, 06:00 AM
GameStop called me yesterday and wants to talk to me about my pre-order. Probably want to upsell me something. :lol:

3 more days... :rawk: #nomodestiny

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 06:01 AM
It's coming out that soon? No wonder they're having TV commercials...

We'll never have another race series :(

novicius
October 23rd, 2015, 06:11 AM
Ha! Not until the Campaign mode is done, at least. ;)

EDIT: Promethean servitors are in, Covenant are all in, extra Spartans and Helljumpers are in -- where's the Flood? :D

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 06:27 AM
Co-op campaign mode, though, so maybe you'll go through with your old buddy Krunch??????

novicius
October 23rd, 2015, 06:44 AM
Any time!! :up: :up:

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 06:50 AM
We could practice driving the Warthog using the Rally Fighter in Forza.......

Phil_SS
October 23rd, 2015, 08:31 AM
Good luck Gentlemen. :up:

novicius
October 23rd, 2015, 08:49 AM
GameStop called me yesterday and wants to talk to me about my pre-order. Probably want to upsell me something. :lol:

3 more days... :rawk: #nomodestiny
Ended up just being info about how they're handling the Midnight Launch on the 26th. They're going to hand out numbers starting @ 6 PM, so no lining up waiting until midnight. :up:

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
What's the word on online player team vs AI modes?

novicius
October 23rd, 2015, 09:04 AM
Well there will be AI in PvP matches, I would ASSUME they also have the traditional co-op vs. AI Firefight-style matches as well...

Cam
October 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
I'll probably get it.

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 09:12 AM
Well there will be AI in PvP matches
Old Battlefront style? Oh, Titanfall did that too, right? Hmmm...

21Kid
October 23rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
I take it no one is getting SW: Battlefront then?

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 09:42 AM
I need to see more than what was in the demo. I want it to be less forced (no pun intended).

21Kid
October 23rd, 2015, 09:50 AM
I doubt that... it seems fully forced. :finger:

Cam
October 24th, 2015, 05:33 AM
I pre-ordered the digital version. Downloading right now. I think we may have to pay extra to our ISP this month. I downloaded at least 100 GB of games. :o

novicius
October 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Initial thoughts:

:: I've played waaay too much Destiny. Can't find a controller layout that I'm 100% comfortable with. Ended up sticking with Default over Boxer for the first time in years.

:: 60 FPS. Hmm, it's a tough one: on one hand, it looks great! :D Everything is sharp and shiny and detailed and quick now. On the other hand, it has lost a certain romanticized cinematic quality. I think I'm pro-60 FPS now tho'. It does look good.

:: The action is interesting; I feel like they've sped up the Halo 4 model which leads to strange inertia sometimes. Still getting used to it -- and boo to the severely short melee range. :smh:

:: The story is split between Spartan Locke's Red Team and Master Chief's Blue Team. Did 343 Industries forget how schizophrenic Halo 2's story was? But considering that there are Story elements that pick up where H2 left off, consider H5 its successor. Be warned.

:: That said, the story is decent. Picks right up a few months after where H4 ended so that's good.

Overall I'm enjoying it. Prometheans can fuck right off, tho' -- still not satisfying shooting energy robots.

21Kid
October 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Oh, it's out already...

and boo to the severely short melee range. YAY!!! :finger:

My Deaths in Halo 3
Weapon Count (count per game).
24.56% Assault Rifle
22.60% Melee :mad:
8.19% Sniper
6.94% Shotgun
5.34% Mauler

Freude am Fahren
October 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Initial thoughts:

:: I've played waaay too much Destiny. Can't find a controller layout that I'm 100% comfortable with. Ended up sticking with Default over Boxer for the first time in years.

Green Thumb fo lyfe!

I may download this this weekend. I never finished Halo 4 I don't think, so I might do that first. Is that one of the titles you can use on the XBone.

Kchrpm
October 27th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Just tell me how awesome the big online Wargames(?) mode is.

Cam
October 28th, 2015, 04:27 AM
Not deleted. :p

I find the look control to be a bit twitchy. I'm having difficulty fine-tuning my aim for precise shots. Maybe I'm just used to Destiny.

novicius
October 28th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Just tell me how awesome the big online Wargames(?) mode is.
My initial impression is... kinda meh. :lol:

I have to get more time under my belt. At this point, it feels a lot more sterile than Halo 4 or Halo 3: Reach did, for sure. Overall, it is really hard not to say that Halo 5 is a step back from Halo 4. I'm not saying it yet... but while the Story mode is highly detailed and definitely where the 343 Industries "A-Team" devs worked, the multiplayer is definitely secondary.

EDIT: Also, no Firefight mode. #boo

I'm sure the devs just want you to play online Co-op with your buds instead.

21Kid
October 29th, 2015, 06:12 AM
I don't want to replay the online co-op over and over though. :rolleyes: That's what firefight is for. :(

Rare White Ape
October 29th, 2015, 10:31 PM
In celebration of Halo 5, I've illegally downloaded HALO: CE for the PC and I've been playing that a bit this week.

It still totally holds up as a decent shooter :up:

Cam
October 30th, 2015, 08:16 PM
I'm done the story. I found myself confused and bored by the end. I didn't care what was happening. Not much replay value unless you play multiplayer adversarial--something I don't care to do any more. It looked pretty, too pretty. When you run your cut scenes at 30 frames a second and your game play at 60, it does not cut together well. Look and movement control felt twitchy to me. Bad guys seem to take more bullets now. I was always out of ammo. I had to pick up a new gun every 20 seconds.

Conclusion: Meh. :|

novicius
October 31st, 2015, 11:45 AM
Yeah I turned the subtitles on during the 1st mission (not implying that you didn't hear/understand everything, Cam) just to make sure that *I* caught everything. So that said, I felt that Halo 5's story was a grandly unifying tale: it picks threads from all the past Halo plots (except maybe not Halo 3: Reach).

I also had an issue with the 30 FPS cut-scenes. Very jarring not to have them done using the in-game engines. I'm also not a fan of prerendered fight scenes. :rolleyes: If I'm not controlling the fighting then why am I here?

I have yet to get too deep into the multiplayer. Definitely only worth it for fans of the series, it's far from a reason to buy an XBONE.

Kchrpm
November 15th, 2015, 12:05 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/15/halo-5-big-team-battles/

As part of a first content drop due next week (Battle of Shadow and Light), the studio is introducing 16-player Big Team Battles where vehicles play a big role. If your favorite memories of Halo involve epic Warthog duels, you'll likely get a kick out of the new mode and its four accompanying maps.

novicius
November 15th, 2015, 12:15 PM
:up: :up:

Kchrpm
November 25th, 2015, 12:37 PM
http://kotaku.com/the-problem-with-the-post-bungie-halo-campaigns-1744683465

Agree? Disagree?

thesameguy
November 25th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I am going to agree, as it sounds like a well-constructed argument. I have never played Halo.

Cam
January 25th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I noticed there was an update for this game, so I started it. 42GB! WTF? The whole game was only like 40GB. :erm:

novicius
January 25th, 2017, 08:07 AM
I am going to agree, as it sounds like a well-constructed argument. I have never played Halo.
You could stop reading this article right here:

Halo used to mean quality. Its campaigns were all heroic military sci-fi, full of brilliantly-designed levels
:lol:

novicius
November 14th, 2017, 04:45 AM
So I've purchased some used copies of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Halo 5 this past weekend for the X1X. That's Halos 1/2/3/4/5 -- I just need Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach to round out my collection.

Playing through the original Halo now and it's pretty obviously the PC version. You can toggle between the original & "high-end" graphics on the fly; I'm playing with the original graphics most of the time for nostalgia's sake. :D The rendering engine must be pretty simple because there are hitches and framedrops on even the X1X from time to time. Six teraflops is not enough! :lol:

Working my way back up to Halo 5's splendiferous graphical 4K splooging (https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/11/12/the-4k-upgrade-for-halo-5-on-the-xbox-one-x-is-a-state-of-the-art-improvement/#63747e512c6b).

Rare White Ape
November 14th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Yeah, MCC is great but…

OG Halo on OG Xbox was lightning in a bottle.

I still remember the first time I stepped out of the pelican using a Duke on my brother’s brand new Xbox. Can’t replicate that feeling no matter what hardware it’s played on.

novicius
November 14th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Yep, 343 Industries has some big boots to fill and a storyline to wrangle back under control. They can't have Cortana be the antagonist, especially since Microsoft has been pouring untold millions into developing her as a mainstream Siri/Alexis-competitor! :lol:

Not to mention getting the Master Chief back under UNSC's authority and conducting legitimate operations?? Everytime I look at Halo 5: Guardian's storyline, my head explodes. :smh:

Get the story back to Master Chief & Cortana conducting operations, period. Against rogue Spartans wielding Forerunner tech, against a faction of the Covenant attempting to restore the authority of the Prophets, against a mysterious group that's causing Flood infections on Human worlds, etc. Whatever. Maybe get another freakin' Halo to make an appearance? :lol:

How Microsoft's Phil Spencer greenlit this plan from 343 Industries is utterly beyond me.

EDIT: Real good discussion about H5 and the Halo franchise here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrs5y0NFz3o

Heh, apparently Phil Spencer visited 343 Industries at the beginning of the year... and then Halo 6 was absent from E3 & Gamescom in Germany this year. Can you say scramble & re-org? :lol: Another Destiny in the making with a 12-18 month dev crunch, I wonder...