PDA

View Full Version : YW's 2013 BRZ

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Placeholder - info to be added when I am less busy.

Upgrades:
Alpine stereo of some sort (plays ipod, has aux-in) - since 2012
iFi speakers and sub
Sound deadening material in the doors and a bit near the sub (which is between the rear door panel and the interior, such that it doesn't take up much room)
Milltek exhaust (resonated)
Avantree Saturn USB Bluetooth receiver, plugged into Aux-in when I need to stream from Spotify
Michelin Pilot Super Sports, stock size on the stock rims

For the people complaining about lack of pics...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8512/8375922480_0f751a1aa8_h.jpg
Original image (C) Keith Mulcahy, All Rights Reserved (see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40000382@N08/8375922480/in/photolist-dL9MWy/)

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Right, so I stuck the PSSes on and what I found was:

1. Pay USD692 for 4 tyres inc. installation. Initially quite disappointed but was just driving randomly around town at lowish speeds and not attacking anything serious with any real attitude. However there was definitely more grip, better steering feel at anything more than 5-10 degrees. Hardly any decrease in ride comfort. Stiffer sidewalls for sure though. Minor buyer's remorse but it did get better after about maybe 40-50km.

2. Took it out early one morning to the HK Nurburgring (along with a friend who has a 2008 Cayman S on PSSes (stock 18") with Cayman R suspension and which has been fully re-aligned etc.) and did 6-8 runs. Findings:
a. HOLY CRAP SO MUCH MORE GRIP WITH EVEN MOAR ADJUSTABILITY THAN THE STOCK TYRES
b. HOLY CRAP SO MUCH MORE STEERING FEEL ANYWHERE YEEESSSSSSS
c. HOLY CRAP SO MUCH EASIER TO GET DOWN THE POWER WHILE STILL MAINTAINING ADJUSTABILITY WHHEEEEE
d. HOLY CRAP WHY DOES THE CAYMAN'S STEERING FEEL SO MUCH LIKE A BUS (really)
e. HOLY CRAP THIS CAR FEELS SO MUCH BETTER, AND MORE FOCUSED NOW (tyres now complement the awesome gearbox, steering, etc.), YET STILL WITH T3H FUNZ

3. On the way back home, come to a junction, clear all around, tail skips out (even with all aids on) as and when I KNEW it would, but without the usual tyre-squealing, drama, or fear. I catch it with a dab of oppo and head off.

4. ...?

5. PROFIT by using AWESOME VALUE

FaultyMario
February 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM
What is the HK Nurburgring? I thought there wasn't a track in your general vicinity. Is that a closed road, or is the loop you've talked about before where boys with cool toys go on weekends?

Godson
February 4th, 2014, 07:43 PM
:lol:

Glad to hear that you are enjoying good tires.

Please clarify the bus comment on steering, kinda confused.

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2014, 08:55 PM
It is a "mountain/hill" road, where not that many boys with cool toys go (I suspect because it is too twisty/difficult/dangerous for some of the more exotic machinery). The place for car-spotting is also a good drive, but is more long sweepers with a lot of unfortunate blind corners, is more for looking at cars than really enjoying them, and now has way too many speed cameras to be enjoyable. It's actually not too dissimilar to some of the roads from Initial D.

Re: Bus. The Cayman had a much slower steering rack which felt much less lively. Obviously it feels much more stable, and has great body control. The steering was good but just very different. Lovely sound when that flat six lets rip, and more than enough power on tap. The gearshift was still nice. Brake pedal travel was interesting - you need to push down quite a lot more to get anything from it, I suppose the reason is that it allows you to modulate more? Still, it caused me a bit of a scare within 10 seconds of pulling out of the car park.

Obviously I'm biased, but I think the BRZ has just enough power and grip at present for that road to derive sufficient enjoyment from it. Either car, though, is more than enough for enjoying that road. Then again, almost any car is great for enjoying that road.

----

Related things I noticed from hiring an (auto) 86 in Australia, which was before I changed my tyres, and even bearing in mind it was a rental with 16,500km on the clock (as opposed to a manual like mine with 6,500-6,600km on the clock):

1. I really can't stand the automatic with the car. It's not a bad gearbox, but it just doesn't suit the car, and once I go manual in this car, I'd never go back (unless it's for physical reasons), etc. etc.

2. The Australian roads I was driving on were probably too long and wide for a car like the 86. To be fair, though, even though I hit the Putty Road, I suppose unfamiliarity, Aussie cops' famous love for speed traps, and the auto conspired to make me less enthusiastic about it there.

3. Steering and the whole car didn't feel as sharp as the BRZ, but it's obviously still a good car and miles better than most of the shitty rental econoboxes I usually end up renting to try while on holiday.

----
Why does my HK-market BRZ (RHD market and car) have the indicator stalk on the left, when my Japanese friend's BRZ in Japan (RHD market and car) has it on the right, as does the Aus 86 (RHD market and car)??!!! WTF...

Random
February 5th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Because left is correct. ;)

Godson
February 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I have driven a Cayman S before, I was just confused about the bus-like steering comment.

It's kinda like my M3, which has a slower (but variable speed) steering rack in it than the 325/8 BMW. The slower rack allows for more precise steering inputs when at speed on a racetrack. Glad to hear you are enjoying the car :)

Random
February 5th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Slower rack than a 328? Unpossible! :p

Godson
February 5th, 2014, 11:30 AM
The sad thing is my Colorado had a faster steering rack than my M3...

Random
February 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Just looked it up, the variable ratio rack in the 95 M3s was in fact slower than the later racks (which were identical between the M/non-M, other than the rack limiter being slightly narrower on the M). I did not know that. Neat.

Godson
February 5th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Just looked it up, the variable ratio rack in the 95 M3s was in fact slower than the later racks (which were identical between the M/non-M, other than the rack limiter being slightly narrower on the M). I did not know that. Neat.

It's neat until you try to slalom the bitch. It's like driving a milk truck.

samoht
February 8th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Awesome that the tyres improve the drive so much.

Incidentally Evo said about the same thing, they rate the car once it's on good tyres.

NoKnownCure
February 11th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Awesome that the tyres improve the drive so much.

Incidentally Evo said about the same thing, they rate the car once it's on good tyres.

This :up: Stoked you're enjoying this - I was fearing they wouldn't be appreciated. I've only sat in one so far. That and a lot of ewe-toob mileage :lol:

Yw-slayer
February 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM
This :up: Stoked you're enjoying this - I was fearing they wouldn't be appreciated. I've only sat in one so far. That and a lot of ewe-toob mileage :lol:

To fully get the point of this car, you have to drive it, in anger, on a good, twisty, mountain pass road, with either only yourself in it or with a passenger who does not weight more than 150lb. Preferably on better tyres than the Primacys, but they'll do.

If, on the other hand, you sit in traffic with it, or only do long, boring motorway/highway miles, then you run the risk (particularly in traffic) of noticing the horrific fake-aluminium plastic fascia all the way across the dashboard, and the fact that the sides of the dashboard are also pretty ugly. But when you're doing the aforementioned driving, all that is forgotten and forgiven.

Godson
February 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM
So you are saying it's like driving a 2000 ish American truck. Hideous when assessed from a standstill, but perfect when used as intended.

Yw-slayer
February 11th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Not exactly hideous, there are certainly worse places to be. It's just that the plastics are pretty horrific given the price that I paid in HK. It's more like a Corvette.

Kchrpm
February 12th, 2014, 04:52 AM
To fully get the point of this car, you have to drive it, in anger, on a good, twisty, mountain pass road, with either only yourself in it or with a passenger who does not weight more than 150lb.
I can't get rid of that guy, he's attached to me :(

Yw-slayer
February 12th, 2014, 06:54 AM
That's why you need to buy A CORVETTE

Kchrpm
February 12th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I AGREE.

GreatScawt
February 13th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Still no pictures?

#IAmDisappoint #LameThread #WouldNotReadAgain #LackOfValue

Yw-slayer
February 13th, 2014, 09:03 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40000382@N08/8375922480/sizes/h/in/photolist-dL9MWy/#

wang
February 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM
:hard:

Yw-slayer
February 13th, 2014, 11:16 PM
INDEED

novicius
February 14th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Noice! :up:

GreatScawt
February 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
YAAAIIISS :up:

Phil_SS
February 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
That is stupendous. :up:

neanderthal
February 19th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I have always been a big fan of Michelin tires.
They may not have the highest skidpad numbers, or outright grip or whatever metric you want, but they are always well engineered, and when it comes to simple things like quiet and smooth, you get your payback.

Yw-slayer
February 19th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Indeed. I might swap all "my" cars to PSSes when they're due up. Might not even wait for the S-Max.

21Kid
February 24th, 2014, 10:26 AM
How many stickers do you need on the windshield?!?

Yw-slayer
February 24th, 2014, 06:40 PM
There are hardly any on it. From inside the car:

Bottom-right: Autotoll thing
Top-right: Oil change/service reminder (km or month/year).
Top-left: Registration
Middle: Valentine 1 and Blackvue camera.

You should see some of the cars in town, they have 3-4 stickers from Clubs to ensure parking at the clubhouses. The Legacy has "only" 2 of those.

21Kid
February 25th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Hardly any... Only 5 things!!!

That would drive me nuts. ;)

Godson
February 25th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I don't even have my state inspection on mine....which is req'd

Freude am Fahren
February 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I have two things, but only one can really be seen from the cockpit. My sunpass (toll thing) hides behind the mirror, where I can't see it, and my parking pass for my old apartment is still on there, but low enough it's on the black, but I can actually remove that now that I've moved. Only one visible is the big stupid butterfly sticker for my mom's gated neighborhood. Said neighborhood also has a barcode on my passenger-side rear window, but again can't be seen from inside.

Kchrpm
February 25th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I typically have the oil change reminder (which I don't really need because the car's info system does that) and an annual pass for the local parks (which I haven't gotten yet this year, because they haven't bothered charging entry yet).

Yw-slayer
July 14th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I now know that the BRZ's passenger seat is difficult to get out of for a female who is more than 5 months pregnant.

Also, the best way to ensure that you do NOT enjoy the car is to use cruise control. Seriously, even driving it on the highway without cruise control is enjoyable, due to how it feels. Cruise takes that away.

Godson
July 15th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Is that a hint that Your fam expanding?

Yw-slayer
July 15th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Well, all being well, it should in late Oct/early Nov.

Godson
July 15th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Congrats dude!!!!

Yw-slayer
July 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks, bro.

Freude am Fahren
July 15th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Colin if it's a boy, right :)

Yw-slayer
July 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Sadly, I know of at least one Colin who I would be reminded of if I named him that, and I don't want to be reminded of that Colin. Wife isn't fond of it either. Otherwise it'd be a no-brainer.

So I'm looking into Richard or Exigos. ;)

thesameguy
July 15th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Er, no.

Exige. Duh.

Kchrpm
July 15th, 2014, 10:38 AM
First name Cora, middle name Vette.

samoht
July 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM
:) Congrats YW :)

thesameguy
July 15th, 2014, 01:59 PM
http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/41/40369/auto/Corvette-CHRON.jpg

:rawk:

Yw-slayer
July 15th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks, guys. :)

Freude am Fahren
July 15th, 2014, 04:26 PM
How about...

http://youtu.be/NRUdaWZ4FN0

IMOA
July 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Congrats YW!

Yw-slayer
July 16th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks Greg.

Looks like we may be going with Richard or samoht. ;)

Mr Wonder
July 16th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Congratulations mate!

Yw-slayer
July 17th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Thanks mate. Hopefully you'll get to meet my Lotus at some point too.

Mr Wonder
July 17th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I know it isn't, but that kinds seems like it should be a euphemism...

Yw-slayer
July 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Lol

Yw-slayer
April 27th, 2015, 02:14 AM
I ran into a guy in a last-gen MazdaSpeed (I believe) 3 the other night who was out to play. I also believe it was modded with blue-tipped exhaust, and most likely some 18s on sticky tyres. It made him damn quick, so I was happy to watch him from behind in the knowledge that I could allocate my lack of speed to lack of skill and, to some extent, my having more fun.

Having said that, there's probably someone on a Mazda3 forum bragging about how he destroyed a BRZ the other night... :lol:

Kchrpm
April 27th, 2015, 05:51 AM
It was me. I flew over to HK just to humble you.

TheBenior
April 27th, 2015, 06:07 AM
A couple blocks from my house, I saw a blue BRZ that somehow crashed into a light pole head on.

Don't be that guy.

Kchrpm
April 27th, 2015, 06:33 AM
The first Toybaru wreck in America happened near me, I think, with a similar incident.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8821

Yw-slayer
April 27th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Not fussed, the main point of having this car is to have fun, and there's always someone out there faster than me (and with a faster car than me) anyway.

samoht
April 28th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I think that's a key point, if you have the attitude that just driving together with another enthusiast is fun, you're more likely to have a good time whatever, and less likely to end up in the hospital / scrapyard. That's always been my feeling in these situations, more 'isn't this cool' than 'I've got to win'.

Yw-slayer
April 28th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Yup! I know I'm unlikely to "win", so no need to even tr to win. Just enjoy the ride and let him do the sighting around corners. :D

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2015, 02:28 AM
So, if I were to change the suspension:

MCA Reds? Emailed Josh, they seem good. Mentioned they also have an X-R Series which is a bit cheaper, not the Blues I think?

Or Ohlins Road and Track? A bit more expensive, but my friends' friend is the local distributor so I might be able to get a deal.

Both overkill given that I will never track the car, just drive touge-style roads?

Answers below plz, kthxbai.

samoht
May 26th, 2015, 04:44 AM
I've had disappointing results with 2x sets of coilovers on S13s. Disappointing to the point where I paid more money to take them off again, because the cars just weren't usable on the road.

I guess the starting point is, what do you want to change about how it behaves at present? Less body roll, better body control over undulations, change front/rear balance ? Better traction ? Better absorption of bumps ? Or just reduce the wheel-arch gap?

It's believable to me that there exist aftermarket coilovers for the GT86 which would improve the car on winding roads, but I imagine most things out there would make it worse. Of the two I'd be inclined towards the MCAs as we have a trusted reference for them being good on the road.

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Better control over undulating surfaces and better steering feel, primarily. It's already quite good to me, but surely it can be improved?

samoht
May 26th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I think steering feel is mainly a combination of tyres, wheel offset and alignment; I guess coilovers with adjustable top mounts give you more camber and caster, which gives a bit more inputs to play with for steering feel. If you go to a good alignment shop you may be able to improve steering feel without changing the suspension (but maybe you already did this).

Control over undulations could be improved with really good coilovers - I understand that it's mostly the dampers that make the difference, although the springs and dampers need to be matched. Generally though anything that reduces the total wheel travel is going to make things worse, all things being equal.

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2015, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure about a good alignment shop - there is a Porsche place that does laser alignments but they might look at me funny.

I know what you mean about a reduction in wheel travel, but Greg seemed to be quite sure that his Reds really helped with bumps. I'm sure that there will be a bit more bottoming out. I wonder - will it be even harder to drift? It's already on Pilot Supersports after all.

thesameguy
May 26th, 2015, 09:41 AM
You don't specifically need coilovers to get the adjustments you want, but coilovers sort of put things into a universal package which gives you options. I'm sure you can buy replacement dampers and springs for the GT86, but switching to coilovers gives you access to a world of springs for fine tuning. They also clear up wheel well room for messing with wheel offsets and widths, and possibly additional adjustment room with the right top mounts.

The whole thing - tires/wheels/alignment/suspension is all tied together so you have multiple angles of attack. Good adjustable coilovers are sort of a magic bullet as properly spec'd and installed they give you fine control over just about everything you could want. However that also means you're on the hook for making those adjustments. Getting useful results can involve a lot of time.

novicius
May 26th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Harder bushings In the front should improve steering feel.

IMOA
May 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Both overkill given that I will never track the car, just drive touge-style roads?

I wanted to highlight this bit as I think it's the biggest misconception that is kicking around the modified car scene. If you compare something like the Ohlins to your run of the mill ~$1200 coilovers the Ohlins will be a bit faster on the track (but still the difference will be much less than difference between what the car can do and what the driver can do) but they are on a different planet in terms of everyday comfort and usability on less than perfect roads. Everyone seems to think that because they're not taking the car to the track regularly that they shouldn't get expensive coilovers but they really should be thinking that since they drive regularly on the street they have to get at least mid range (Ohlins, MCA Reds etc are mid range) coilovers as they are the ones that deliver comfort and drive-ability on crappy roads.

Fwiw, in hong kong and knowing the distributor I'd lean towards the Ohlins (assuming they're the Ohlins Ohlins, not the japan ohlins. Ask about the springrates, they should be 6kg front and rear)

For steering feel I've replaced all the front control arm bushes including using an offset bushing in the front to increase castor and run a cusco carbon strut brace. I run a lot more camber (about 2.2 degrees) and a tickle of toe out on the front, between 1-2mm total. Obviously also has the higher spring rates (6kg in the front, standard is 2.2ish off the top of my head) and better dampers. Steering is better but still not perfect however I do also run a softer sidewall tire than you (Pilot sport 3) so that will have an impact as well. If I was keeping the car the next thing I'd be doing is replacing the steering rack bushes, actually I should have done it a while ago but with the travel I never got round to it.

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks Greg. I'll check whether which Ohlins they are. The Japan ones are made for/in Japan?

I was never thinking of getting lower-end stuff. ;) When I said overkill I meant Ohlins/Reds as opposed to sticking to the stock suspension, which I find pretty decent overall. I definitely don't want it to be hard/crashy for the sake of looks (which is a common complaint I've read about with cheaper coilovers) since, amongst other things, I keep a booster seat in the back so that I can share the love.

If I were to win the lottery, I'd buy another car park space and have a lowered GT86 on 18s for looks, but in the absence of bagloads of spare cash, I'm just trying to balance things out.

Random
May 26th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks Greg. I'll check whether which Ohlins they are. The Japan ones are made for/in Japan?

I was never thinking of getting lower-end stuff. ;) When I said overkill I meant Online/Reds as opposed to sticking to the stock suspension, which I find pretty decent overall. Dont want it to be hard/crashy for the sake of looks (ehich is a common complaint I've read about with cheaper coilovers) since, amongst other things, I keep a booster seat in the back so that I can share the love.

Why not just a set of adjustable Koni dampers?

caveat: I know nothing about their HK distribution or availability.

+1 on Greg's comments regarding good damping and the street.

Yw-slayer
May 26th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Because I don't know much about Konis... plus when it comes to car setup, about which I know little, I usually end up throwing money at the problem, particularly for brand names with a good reputation. :lol:

IMOA
May 27th, 2015, 02:45 AM
I do think that the ohlins are a good mod and worth it but I also think ohlins R&T's are about entry level of coil overs worth considering so I'm not exactly representative. For the steering Id start with castor bushes, steering rack bushes and those camber bolts. Drive that for a bit and then see where you want to go. Where possible you want to do suspension mods in steps imo, that way you have some clue of what it is that's really helping. Then you can decide which direction and how far you want to go next.

Yw-slayer
May 27th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Alright, alright, at least I know where the camber bolts are!

Godson
May 27th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I strongly support the statement about little bits at a time.

I also suggest when you are ready to dump good money on coils. I know the difference in feel between tein coil covers and the TRM coils I ran on my M3. Difference was night and day in favor of the TRM coils. TRM coils were also 200lbs/in more stiff in the front and 400lbs/in more stiff in the rear and the car still rode and drove better. No crashy, but firm. Dampers are EVERYTHING.

(Still start with bushings though)

novicius
May 27th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Weigh the ROI before you pull the trigger.

thesameguy
May 27th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I vote for pulling the trigger and then talking yourself into believing you made the right decision. Fire. Aim. Ready.

novicius
May 27th, 2015, 07:10 PM
:lol: :up: #noregrets

Random
May 27th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Or just buy Greg's car when he gets his Porka. :D

Kchrpm
May 28th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Or just buy Greg's car when he gets his Porka. :D
Always the problem solver :up:

Mirage
May 28th, 2015, 08:10 AM
My buddy has a set of Ohlins for the BRZ for sale, wonder how shipping would be to HK. He just traded his brz for another GV WRX, he needs these Ohlins gone so he can get some for the WRX. He always raved about them, the one thing he misses the most.

Yw-slayer
May 28th, 2015, 01:43 PM
You guys :lol:

I could look into it but it's probably better that they're shipped within the US and I get some locally. I'll chase up local pricing and so on.

samoht
May 28th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Regardless of fitting coilovers or not, you will need to find somewhere decent to do the alignment. I'd try the 'Porsche' place if I were you, hopefully they will be serious about making cars handle better and know their stuff.

I know it's a long shot, but if you know any local BRZ/GT86 drivers with aftermarket suspension, try and blag a passenger ride, as I feel there's no substitute for first-hand experience. In my experience conversely, what people say on owners club forums wasn't helpful for me - lots of love for cheap coilovers among the S-body crowd, but my experiences echo those stated above - cheap ones are worse than useless for a car you want to drive on the road.

Yw-slayer
June 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM
I've decided... Not to buy anything as I hardly have time to drive the car anyway. Plus I also need a new battery.

novicius
June 21st, 2015, 10:31 AM
Weigh the ROI before you pull the trigger.
:up: :up:

Yw-slayer
November 1st, 2015, 06:05 AM
I asked my rents to drive it occasionally (once a week) in order to give the battery a bit more TLC.

They failed to even leave the carpark twice and reported a burning smell. I drove it for 15 minutes just now and it's still there. I think they've thrashed my clutch.

thesameguy
November 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Explains why they didn't get it out of the car park...

TheBenior
November 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
IIRC, the last time I valeted my Mazdaspeed3 (which has such an on/off clutch that it got mentioned in numerous reviews), the smell of burnt clutch persisted for at least half an hour. I've probably done a good 15k miles since then.

Yw-slayer
November 1st, 2015, 05:23 PM
Yes it does.

Thanks Benior, I was planning to leave it anyway as the car is due for an oil change in December and I'll just ask Subaru to check it then.

M4FFU
November 6th, 2015, 05:51 AM
I've decided... Not to buy anything as I hardly have time to drive the car anyway. Plus I also need a new battery.

Criminal. Give it to me. You can have my bus pass.

;)

Santa needs to get you a trickle charger for Christmas!

Yw-slayer
November 6th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Nah, it's ok. I bought a huge Panasonic battery.

M4FFU
November 6th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I'd still look at one - pending it living near a power point. If you're going to be leaving standard for periods of time, trickle chargers are quite fantastic things. Always used them on bikes and they've kept the battery in good health for prolong periods of time.

Yw-slayer
November 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Sadly, the car isn't near a power point. I do make sure I drive it at least once a week.

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Around 4 years on. Is it time to get an alignment? If so, that's surely an ideal time to get the camber bolts installed?

BTW, only still just over 13,000km on it.

IMOA
September 29th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Yes, get an alignment and install the camber bolts. And I've got more k's on the GT4 and I've been out of the country for 9 of the 12 months since I got it. Go for a drive!

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Alright.

Dicknose
September 29th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I'm at 10k km and haven't been away as much as IMOA but had a couple of months. Had the car 8 months.
As he said, drive it (like you stole it)

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I always do, but trips here are pretty short. Plus I have a few other cars to drive.

IMOA
September 29th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Oh, and when you get the alignment I'd say max on the camber, running the super sports you'll still be at least a degree short of the camber you want so just max it out. For toe give yourself just a tiny bit of toe in on the rear and I reckon run 2mm of toe out on the front. that should make it pointier than what you've got now as well as give you a chunk more grip through the middle of the corner

Yw-slayer
September 29th, 2016, 11:37 PM
I don't actually know what you are talking about, so I guess I will look it up and hopefully become slightly wiser. But thanks.

Dicknose
September 30th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Time for me to talk to IMOA about alignment on my toy. Different suspension (that's the main difference between GT4 and Spyder, oh one has a cool roof!)
Doing a few track days (wakefield), still working out what I'm doing but some camber wouldn't hurt.

Yw-slayer
September 30th, 2016, 08:11 AM
http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment--camber-caster-toe/

Do you mean max positive camber, or max negative camber?

Toe I understand now.

Kchrpm
September 30th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Negative camber. You never* want positive camber.

* I think I've heard of it used on weird oval racing setups.

Godson
September 30th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Correct. Only negative camber.

IMOA
September 30th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Positive camber is the ladyboy of the automotive world.

Yw-slayer
September 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Subaru said the tread on the outside of the Pilot Super Sports is getting a bit thin, so I'm swapping all of them to Pilot Sport 4 this Friday.

Freude am Fahren
September 27th, 2017, 08:52 PM
I did the same a couple weeks ago. Tires felt weird at first, but now that they've worn in a bit, they feel very similar to the PSS's. I think they're a bit quieter though, which is good. Still very loud on 245/40/18's

Yw-slayer
September 28th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Good to hear! I'm still on the stock rims so they should be somewhat quieter.

Yw-slayer
November 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM
They are certainly quieter. I fixed the tyre pressures the other night and went for a 40min drive. No crazy stuff, just chilling. Such a pleasure. Finally hit 15,000km too.

Yw-slayer
November 13th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Had a bit more of an exciting session tonight. Around 95km. I think the tyres are definitely better than the PSSes overall. Great wet grip and slightly more feel. I think, however, that they suit RWD cars more as I much prefer the way they feel and handle on the 320i and the BRZ than on the Legacy. Then again, it could just be that the chassis of the latter is getting on a bit.

Yw-slayer
February 23rd, 2018, 10:02 PM
I had on my 22b shirt and was carrying large tubs of protein powder when getting out of my brz. All I need was a vaper, brah.

Yw-slayer
April 15th, 2022, 07:56 PM
My low fuel light warning has come on and I haven't filled it up despite driving around 12km. Should I only put in a bit at a time?

Rare White Ape
April 16th, 2022, 04:46 AM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-11-2013/J_Cv3I.gif

Yw-slayer
April 16th, 2022, 06:01 PM
I went CRAZY and put in a full tank of fuel. For a change I then drove past a massive steel factory, 1 of the territory's 6 Landfills, and down a narrow one-lane road from which you can see Shenzhen and the bridge to it (which you can't drive to unless your car also has mainland plates, which most cars in HK don't).

Will have to compress before posting a pic of car at a layby with Shenzhen behind it.