PDA

View Full Version : iOS Software and Games Thread?

Jason
February 6th, 2014, 03:46 AM
I've been sticking with relatively ancient software and games for a couple years, due to having old devices... now I have new toys and want new apps.

Any suggestions for neat games and/or apps?

Most addicting games I've played so far have been Plants vs Zombies and Battleheart. I kind of want to get a RPG of some sort, but I don't think I want something *quite* as in depth as the Final Fantasy series.

Obviously interested in photography related applications, but open to other random stuff as well.

Thought it would be good to have a iOS app thread at the very least.

Rob
February 6th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Baldur's Gate and the sequel are on iPad. As is Knights of the Old Republic (now universal) and Bard's Tale.

Jason
February 6th, 2014, 05:46 AM
What about non-ports? I've found I've enjoyed original made for touch titles more so far, but I'll check out reviews of the above.

Rare White Ape
February 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Everyone seems to be playing Clash of Clans at the moment. It's a pretty good simple RTS game in the vein of Age of Empires and Sim City, but the big difference being the multiplayer aspect is fully passive and it takes weeks to build your village. Oh, and you can spend a hundred bucks in real money to speed thing up if you want....

Don't get Flappy Birds. Ever.

Blerpa
February 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Oceanhorn.

Yw-slayer
February 6th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Traditional games
GTA Chinatown Wars is good, the on-screen controls are just about good enough (although not perfect).

Might look into Baldur's Gate. I finished KOTOR on the PC and never got past the intro of KOTOR2 (modded to restore missing content y0). I note that Final Fantasy IV and V (Western numbers) are also out, but I re-finished FF4 on my Motorola Milestone and never really got into FFV.

Has anyone tried the Modern Combat (i.e. COD copy) series? I went into an MP map on my Nexus but couldn't really get into it.

Having said that, in this arena, one is best served by a 7-10" Android tablet, SuperGNES or the Megadrive equivalent, and a USB gamepad. Loads of mobile gaming for long stretches without irritating suggestions that you should enter into a microtransaction.

Hybrid games
I thought Dead Rising 2 would be crap, but it's not actually not bad, since the shooting is taken care of. Robocop is alright as well, if a bit repetitive. It's similar to but even simpler than DR2. It also got me into watching the old Robocop files again, and interested in the release of the new one (which is obviously the main purpose of the game).

Infinity Blade was alright, but controls a bit finicky. I have 2 and 3 but haven't tried them, maybe they're better?

Super-casual games
In the more casual realm, I usually hit Tiny Death Star. Simpsons Tapped Out is OK, but only really good for massive fans. Plague is good fun, if not exactly new.

Cam
February 7th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Lori and I have been playing Candy Crush Saga for quite some time. We call is Candy Crack. Thankfully, I can control myself and only play it for 10-20 minutes at a time. Lori will set her phone's clock ahead just to get more lives. :lol:

Yw-slayer
February 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I can't believe people actually play that.

Yw-slayer
February 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM
OK, Dead Trigger 2 has some pseudo-RPG elements to it. I reckon it's the best of the lot.

Blerpa
February 9th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Once again... Oceanhorn.

http://oceanhorn.blogspot.it/?m=1

iOS only, unfortunately.

Yw-slayer
February 9th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Never really got into Zelda.