PDA

View Full Version : OLED teevs

Random
January 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Review of Samsung's new 55" OLED teev: http://hometheaterreview.com/samsung-kn55s9c-oled-hdtv/ Only $9000!

I have to say, "Multi-View"--using the 3D shuttering system to allow two people to watch separate programs--sounds really, really, cool.

thesameguy
January 7th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I dunno... can you imagine how annoying it would be sitting next to someone watching Scrubs while you watched Breaking Bad? Together, but oh so far apart!

Kchrpm
January 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Sony actually already did this with a smaller TV aimed at two-player gaming.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/sonys-24-inch-playstation-3d-dual-view-monitor-heres-how-it/

thesameguy
January 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Now that makes sense. In fact, that's awesome.

TheBenior
January 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
If cost was no object, I'd definitely take a 1080p OLED over a 4K LCD, unless we're talking about monster 85" screens.

Hopefully my Panasonic plasma can last until prices come down.

Kchrpm
January 10th, 2014, 05:14 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/10/samsung-cheap-oled-tvs-wont-be-ready-for-three-to-four-years/

3-4 years for cheap OLEDs according to Samsung.

21Kid
January 14th, 2014, 12:39 PM
What is considered "cheap"?

Random
January 14th, 2014, 01:21 PM
About $1000? That's what got me to pull the trigger on my 50" Panny plasma.

Dicknose
January 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I think most people will appreciate better colours and contract ratio (ie darker blacks) - more than higher res.

Im happy to wait another 4 years till I upgrade.

And the "two views" is nice for gaming, but not so good for normal tv.
Unless someone starts coming up with some interesting ideas to use it which doesnt rely on needing different audio.

Rare White Ape
January 14th, 2014, 10:42 PM
A game show!

Dicknose
January 15th, 2014, 02:53 AM
That was what I was thinking.
Maybe some sort of play along at home, questions on one side, answers on the other. Then swap over.

Of cause it probably needs to work for displays that don't support it. Not sure if there is any official 3d or 2 view signals so sets can work out what to do if they don't support it.

21Kid
February 19th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I Just Fell In Love With LG's Flexible 4K OLED TVs (http://gizmodo.com/hands-on-i-just-fell-in-love-with-lgs-flexible-4k-ole-1496503499)

LG has revealed the largest 4K OLED TV shown in the United States today, a television featuring a curved 77-inch screen, and won a CES Best of Innovations award.
LG's 4K OLED TV wins CES award (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57612022-221/lgs-4k-oled-tv-wins-ces-award-hands-on/)

This.
Want.

21Kid
May 5th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Down to $6k (http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EA9800-Cinema-Curved/dp/B00E5U3YEK/ref=lp_6463520011_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399317161&sr=1-1)...
Or $3,770 used, from a private seller, with no feedback. :lol:

Rob
May 7th, 2014, 02:33 AM
OLEDs seem to suffer something broadly equivalent to permanent image retention as they age. This puts me off the tech so far.

I heard about this and (coincidentally) saw a 14 month old OLED screen'd phone owned by a friend which clearly has the Twitter banner bar 'burned in' at the top of the screen. Apparently the OLEDs themselves degrade over time (blue first, then red, then yellow/green) and lose their colour and brightness.

When I mentioned this to the sales guy in Richer Sounds who was showing me a gigantic curved OLED panel, he said I should get about 4 years from it before the ageing would be (very) noticeable. He nodded when I told him this equated to £1000 per year.

NOPE.

Jason
May 7th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Is OLED the upgrade path for those that like plasmas? I see they don't really sell plasmas anymore...?

drew
May 7th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I want one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00CMEN95U

Kchrpm
May 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Seems reasonable.

Mr Wonder
May 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I've seen that, they have one in John Lewis on Oxford Street.
It is spectacular. It's like a window into another world.
It's also £35,000 (~$59,000) :eek:

thesameguy
May 7th, 2014, 02:01 PM
The Toshiba equivalent is only ten grand! Sheesh!

21Kid
May 7th, 2014, 02:02 PM
I didn't think OLED had that bad of burn-in problems. :(

Yw-slayer
May 7th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I've seen that, they have one in John Lewis on Oxford Street.
It is spectacular. It's like a window into another world.
It's also £35,000 (~$59,000) :eek:

No biggie. That's only the cost of a tidy used M5 wagon.

Rob
May 8th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I didn't think OLED had that bad of burn-in problems. :(

"Rapid degradation of the organic materials". The degradation is irreversible and you can't really "wash" the screen wear out like you can with a plasma.

Blerpa
May 8th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Right now OLEDs do suck.
And LCD LED are still sucking, bar Sony ones.
Plasmas are not sold anymore.

Fuck this shit, I'm going to go DLP VPR next time around.

MR2 Fan
May 8th, 2014, 03:03 PM
problem with the base materials they haven't figured out yet, or planned obsolescence? hmm

Rob
May 8th, 2014, 11:23 PM
And LCD LED are still sucking, bar Sony ones.

That's why I just bought one.

Kchrpm
May 9th, 2014, 08:27 AM
The brightness dropped drastically on my TV. $80 and a few days later, I have a new OEM bulb in it. Sometimes the "old" ways have benefits.

21Kid
September 15th, 2014, 01:05 PM
LG's investment in white OLED might be ready to pay off as the company achieves high production quantities for its 4K OLED TVs while competitors using RGB OLED still struggle to achieve viable yield levels to go mainstream with the screen technology.

"The fact that nobody is even chasing us on that is an amazing benefit," says Hong. "An advantage that we'll probably feel for ten years. No one will catch us for 2-3 years, that's a pretty big lead."

"When we bought the rights to white OLED from Kodak nobody else thought that was going to be a successful business," says Hong. "We were the only ones who said 'Hey, let's put some money down on that.' Nobody fought us for that. It's an interesting history. Kodak developed this white OLED and now that allows us to get this 80 percent plus yield."
http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-says-white-oled-gives-it-ten-years-on-tv-competition/

This should move things along. :cool:

21Kid
September 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
People need to stop buying curved TVs so they stop making them. :angry: They are making regular LED TVs curved now too. :(

Blerpa
September 20th, 2014, 07:45 AM
People need to stop buying curved TVs so they stop making them. :angry: They are making regular LED TVs curved now too. :(

Agree wholeheartedly. I can't fathom a more idiotic - and downright negative for the product main purpose, alas optimal view of video content - feature in modern electronic devices.

21Kid
September 25th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Wow. These (http://www.wired.com/2014/09/vizio-p-series-4k-tvs/) upcoming Vizios sound really good. I've been a fan of Vizio since I got mine in 2010.

Vizio’s Affordable 4K TVs Are Your Perfect Stepping Stone to Ultra HD

When they were introduced at CES, Vizio’s P-Series LCD sets did something most other LCD TVs at the show didn’t: They made buying a 4K set seem enticing and affordable. Starting at $1,000 for a 50-inch panel, the Ultra HD resolution (3,840 x 2,160) wasn’t the only thing that made the new TVs stand out.

The other perks included full-array backlight panels with local dimming. That kind of setup is normally only found on the highest of the high-end LCD sets, but Vizio has been adding these once-expensive features to all its TVs in 2014.

The 70-inch P-Series set has 72 local-dimming zones, while the rest of the models have 64 zones. Each of the sets also has a technology called Active Pixel Tuning that helps eliminate light bleed even further. The benefits of both features will be plain to see in terms of sharp contrast: Granular control over brightness combined with the balanced, bright lighting of a full-array LED should help the P-series approach the near-perfect picture quality that OLED delivers.

Hardware-wise, the P-series continues Vizio’s design trend of thinning out the bezel to bestow a wall-to-wall picture effect upon your eyeballs. The new sets have a native refresh rate of 240Hz, as well as a simulated “Clear Action Rate” of 960Hz if you’re really into the soap-opera effect. To handle all that motion processing and 4K content, the P-series is driven by six processing cores: A quad-core GPU and a dual-core CPU.

The 50-inch P-series set will sell for $1,000, the 55-incher will go for $1,400, the 60-incher is priced at $1,700, the 65-inch model will cost $2,200, and the 70-incher will sell for $2,500. More good news: None of them are curved.

One of the reasons I've been looking to replace mine is that while it has local dimming, there is quire a bit of light bloom and bleed since it was an early adopter. :(

CudaMan
October 7th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting that, Kid. :up: I might be picking up the 55" P-series soon. Replacing a 50" DLP Samsung.

For all the people who say 4K content isn't available, my cell phone records video in 4K and so does the new GoPro 4. Just sayin'. :cool: To be honest 1080p was pretty good at 50" anyway, but heck, at these prices why not 4K?

Kchrpm
October 7th, 2014, 11:44 AM
4K in-car race videos would be great :up:

21Kid
October 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Yeah, at those prices, I may upgrade soon myself. OLED doesn't seem like it's getting much closer. :|

I'd probably have to get a 60" in order to make it worth it. :D

GreatScawt
July 12th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I've heard nothing but amazing things about LG's C6P/B6P/C7P/B7P series (6 =2016, 7 = 2017). I spotted a good deal on Amazon and pulled the trigger on the 65C7P... fingers crossed it arrives in good condition.

Jason
July 12th, 2017, 07:37 AM
I still absolutely love my 65" B6.

Edit: Just realized how old this thread was before Scotty bumped it. I think we were talking OLEDs etc in the 4k thread at one point.

GreatScawt
July 12th, 2017, 08:04 AM
My bad! Also, didn't realize you had a B6. Awesome. Glad to hear you love it :up:

Jason
July 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM
My bad! Also, didn't realize you had a B6. Awesome. Glad to hear you love it :up:

I got it last year when it went on sale around the holidays. It was quite the jump up from my 42" plasma :lol:

Inky blacks are absolutely amazing when watching in a dark room, and you have high quality source. HDR is a neat feature, but I'm not sure if it's really all that great on an OLED since OLED contrast is already fantastic on 'normal' content. If I'm watching HDR content at night, I have to turn the 'backlight brightness' way down, otherwise it's way too bright when your eyes are used to darkness. But once you get it tuned in, specular highlights really make scenes pop (Daredevil's night scenes, with bokeh balls in the back, come to mind).

WebOS is pretty neat, but also a bit over the top. The apps range from solid to bad. Netflix/Hulu/YouTube stream really well, Amazon Prime is terrible, unfortunately.

Not sure about the C class, but LG provided some firmware updates to improve gaming lag on the B series. To the point where the game modes aren't needed at all, imo. At least as long as you turn off the various processing options. (dynamic contrast, noise reduction, etc)

RTings has good base calibration settings, in my experience.

21Kid
July 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I've been watching the price on my Amazon wishlist... Now I'm not sure with HDR improving regular LEDs, if OLED is worth 2x the cost.

I know 128 backlit sources doesn't match OLED's individual pixels. But, it's probably enough for me to save $1k.

GreatScawt
July 12th, 2017, 11:17 AM
For some reason, for 2017, the C7 is not curved (good). It's a flat screen like the B7. The B7 is an identical Costco model with a black base. It's kinda strange. So I assume it will have similar firmware this time around? *shrug*

I did hear about the good gaming mode, and the low input lag performance in general. A lot of the Giantbomb guys were recommending it (one of them also working for CNET). Once I learned of all the other reasons to check it out... I just had to. :lol: Plus I need a TV to wall mount in the new place.

Phil_SS
November 23rd, 2017, 04:37 AM
Big discounts this holiday season......I am so tempted.

Jason
November 23rd, 2017, 04:58 AM
Been a year-ish since I got my B6 for a higher price than this year's models and deals.... And I couldn't be happier.

So what I'm saying is.... Do it. DO IT NOW.

Rare White Ape
November 23rd, 2017, 03:59 PM
OLED is becoming a much more affordable technology, but my next TV will still be an LED.

I can't afford it this year, but lately I've had my eye on the Sony X9000 series TVs. They're good middle-of-the-road TVs with HDR, perfect for pairing up with a PS4 Pro or an Xbone X.

The Samsung Q7 series LED are recommended as well. They've just had a price drop to bring them into line with the Sony offering I mentioned above, but their black levels aren't quite as good, and they're edge-lit, not back-lit like the Sony. On the flip-side, the colour reproduction is more accurate.

TheBenior
November 23rd, 2017, 05:20 PM
I saw the 65" LG B7 at Costco for $2350 with a 3 year Square Trade warranty and 6 months of Sling Orange with HBO, but I need prices to come down a bit more before I replace my old Panasonic G25 plasma.

Yw-slayer
November 23rd, 2017, 05:34 PM
https://www.lifewire.com/oled-vs-plasma-3276234

balki
November 27th, 2017, 03:08 AM
I saw the 65" LG B7 at Costco for $2350 with a 3 year Square Trade warranty and 6 months of Sling Orange with HBO, but I need prices to come down a bit more before I replace my old Panasonic G25 plasma.
Been tracking the B7; it was $4,449.99 six months ago at Costco, even the non-sale price is below $3k now
With the lack of 4K content I'm easily willing to hold out another year or two and have it drop close to $1k (even then I'd need a PS4k and GT7 to come out to be absolutely sold). TV signal still comes in at heavily compressed 1080i or 720p :(

21Kid
November 27th, 2017, 07:43 AM
GT7 :lol: We'll be buying 8k Holographic TVs by then.

GreatScawt
November 27th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Finally got the 65C7P mounted. We actually had to have two rows of stone from the fireplace removed and the mantel lowered in order to make room for it. Oops. But not our fault... the damn thing was too high to begin with.

But it's mounted now... and awesome. Currently linked up to an Nvidia Shield TV, and I've hardwired ethernet to all the important bits (Shield to router, router to gaming PC upstairs).

KillerB
November 28th, 2017, 02:51 PM
I’m so happy with my LG 55” OLED TV. It’s not 4K as I got a close out 2015 model. If they’re still doing the deals on the LG 55” 4K one at $1500, I’d recommend picking one up.

Personally, I find the the BLACK blacks far more impressive than 4K resolution.

MR2 Fan
January 8th, 2018, 02:27 PM
We Rollin!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/lg-display-giant-rollable-oled-4k-tv/

Tom Servo
January 8th, 2018, 04:15 PM
They hatin'?

Seriously, though. That base looks like something out of the early 70's. I mean, I know you have to have a base to hold the rolled TV, but it's amazing how incredibly dated it looks compared to this sleek screen coming out of it.

dodint
January 8th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Mobility is not a trait I desire in a television.

Kchrpm
January 8th, 2018, 08:01 PM
I'm more fascinated by Samsung's Wall concept, which uses Micro LEDs to get the same effect as OLEDs (each pixel turns on individually), and is bezel-less and modular, so you can combine panels to create a larger TV by adding on to their current one.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/7/16861790/samsung-the-wall-microled-modular-tv-announced-ces-2018

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9994013/DSCF2716.jpg

21Kid
January 9th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I'm interested to see if "The Wall" id going to make it into production. It sounds... "interesting".