PDA

View Full Version : Next Audi TT's Digital Dash

Kchrpm
January 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Oh my. I guess it was bound to happen, but it's still an attention grabber.

http://jalopnik.com/audis-virtual-cockpit-is-the-amazing-future-of-automot-1496439687

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19bttymgtnjqujpg/original.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19btuji7do5ymjpg/original.jpg

thesameguy
January 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I remember when Saab (IIRC) did this like ten years ago in a concept car, and I thought it looked neat but was a terrible idea. I think display technology has some far enough that it's a great idea. I've actually been trying to figure out a way to do exactly this in the XR4Ti. Problem is, my reach is beyond my grasp. If I was better at electronics or better at computers I'll bet I could do it. Unfortunately, jack of all trades, master of none applies fully to me. :(

Random
January 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Looks neat. :cool:

Freude am Fahren
January 7th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I think this once of those instances where the execution was critical and they may have nailed it.

MR2 Fan
January 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Doesn't the LF-A have a full digital dash?

Mr Wonder
January 7th, 2014, 12:44 PM
It looks pretty good. I love the temp gauge/dial in the vent though. If that went blank 5 seconds after adjusting anything or as part of a Saab-esque "night panel" mode it'd be perfect.

Random
January 7th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Doesn't the LF-A have a full digital dash?

There are a few cars with fully digital dashes, yeah. The new Jags have 'em, I think? So far everyone seems to have contented themselves with displaying gauges and infotainment data, though, rather than using them for a full-on nav screen.

KillerB
January 7th, 2014, 02:21 PM
The new Cadillac CTS has two dash options, the top version is full LCD.

The Corvette is mostly LCD at this point, too.

CudaMan
January 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Bet it will be fun to replace those in 5-10 years.

Jason
January 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM
If you're rich enough to be buying one of these new-ish, I imagine you'll be buying a new car before 5-10 years. ;)

CudaMan
January 7th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Not always. Some strange people keep their cars. Who'da thunk? :)

Jason
January 7th, 2014, 04:27 PM
1%ers

CudaMan
January 7th, 2014, 06:04 PM
As someone who has owned almost exclusively ~20 year old cars, I think of these things.

Plus my girl bought an E46 new and has had to replace several expensive things, the latest of which is an LCD screen for the nav unit. At only 40k miles. Blech.

KillerB
January 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I feel like more of the auto electronics are now in the software. That screen will just be a screen.

Doesn't mean Audi won't rape and pillage you at replacement time, but they'd do that with regular gauges, too.

On an E46, I'm pretty sure it's age and not miles that killed the NAV screen. Isn't that pre-iDrive? I'd replace it with something aftermarket at this point anyway.

CudaMan
January 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Regular gauges rarely need replacing, IME. LCDs tend not to last as long. What will be the repair/exchange policy for dashes with stuck pixels? ;)

The E46 Nav screen itself (bare) can be sourced for not tons of money, it'll just take a few hours to replace. It is pre i-Drive.

Anyway, I'm not totally against screen dash displays like this. But there is a downside.

Dicknose
January 8th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Vent temp display is a clever idea.

My Ducati has 2 digital displays.
A pic (by someone else)
http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/E/K/0/-/Ducati-Diavel-display-1.jpg

Ok they aren't up to doing maps, but still quite good at displaying lots of different info.
And readable under different amounts of light.
A bit harder on a bike where the dash is more exposed and can get direct sun.

Not sure if nav-map in the dash is a good use. Say compared to some heads-up solution.

But this does look like an area that will have some cool advances.

The359
January 8th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Funny to see the universal symbol for an engine on a bike that doesn't have an engine remotely looking like that.

Dicknose
January 9th, 2014, 12:55 AM
It should look like V or L

KillerB
January 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Well my BMW E30 needed new gauges (and it's a common issue with those) and I've had issues with the gauges in all of my 80s Mazdas. So sooner or later, yeah, they go bad. :)

thesameguy
January 10th, 2014, 12:50 PM
The big concern I'd have is the problem the CTS-V had - in freezing temps, the LCD for the combined HVAC/Nav/etc. couldn't display anything, or would be sluggish & display artifacts. It wasn't until the cabin got to 40 degrees or so the screen was worth anything. I'd say it's likely this problem has been addressed since '03 (when that Delphi unit began production), but based on that experience, it'd still be a concern.

The gauges in the E30 were TERRIBLE. As you say, it's a common problem. But clearly it's not universal - the shit gauges in the Suburban aren't prone to issues, and I've never even heard of gauge problems on a c900. I think BMW just screwed the pooch on their design for analog gauges. Still, in theory, solid state *should* be more reliable than electromechanical - but I think the latter is probably more *durable* than the former. I'll bet you could dunk E30 gauges in water and they'd still work. Doubt the TT's TFT would. ;)

Random
January 10th, 2014, 12:53 PM
The underwater functionality of the rest of the car will likely be problematic, as well, nevermind the IP.

thesameguy
January 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Sure, but if your instrument cluster pops out and falls in water or someone tells you the most hilarious joke in the world just as you down a bottle of Fuji, you'd be better off if that happened in a 325e than a 2014 TT.

MR2 Fan
January 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
first it's a digital dash and digital rear view....next it will be digital "windows" everywhere and there won't be need for car glass, just a fully enclosed steel or cf or whatever structure with cameras on the outside....think about that!

Alan P
January 12th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I do wonder what would happen if the screen failed completely. Would the car even let you drive?