PDA

View Full Version : Airsoft: Grown Men & Toy Guns

Mortavian
February 18th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Wanted to talk about airsoft a bit, since it's pretty much my go to hobby here in the sticks of Japan. Typed this up at work today, but I saw Godson started up a real steel gun thread here (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?620-The-Boomstick-Thread) and I don't want to step on his toes! If there's a conflict of interest, just let me know.

What is airsoft?

Did you ever run around with toy guns as a kid and pretend to shoot your friends? Well, airsoft is basically the grown up version of the same. Airsoft is a tactical simulation game which uses airguns to fire plastic BBs at other players. Paintball is the better known cousin of airsoft and shares many similarities, though the player communities seem to largely prefer differing play styles. Paintball is often seen as emphasizing the game-like aspect of the sport, while a significantly large draw of airsoft is its simulationist aspect.

How do you play?

There are many rule and gametype variants, but a vanilla game of airsoft typically pits two teams against one another with a "one hit, one kill" style of play. If you get hit, you're "dead" and out of the game. The standard operating procedure for this is to identify yourself when you've been hit (this is "calling your hit"), usually by raising your hand and/or calling out, "hit." Then remove yourself from the play area and return to the safe zone outside the field. Once the current match ends, all players leave the field and return to the safe zone. There will then be time to prepare for the next match, at which point everyone returns to the field at the start of the next game.

Referencing back to paintball again, play in airsoft is very much the same. One main difference though is that hits in airsoft aren't always easy to identify since the BBs leave no visible mark on clothing, so the honor system is paramount to the integrity of the game. If you've been hit (or are reasonably sure you've been hit), it's expected that you'll call your hit fairly. Sometimes disputes over a hit can arise and sometimes there will be players that don't uphold the honor system, but overall I've found most people in airsoft are fair and honest in their gameplay. We're all just here to have a good time, after all.

What do you need to play?

Besides a safe environment and other players, the only essential equipment you need to play are a gun and proper eye protection. Airsoft players and their kits (clothing, weapons and equipment) run the gamut from the super casual (shorts, jeans, hoodie, etc.) to the super dedicated:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9227/waxhawairsofthl9.jpg

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/6/f8/6f8071d20830445649558853d0237230-orig

Some people play airsoft just for the FPS game-like element of it, while others are extremely invested in the cosplay/costuming aspect of the game (though you'll get different reactions from different players on addressing their hobby as dress-up, make believe wargaming :lol:). Some people like airsoft for the tacticool element of making their kit as realistic as possible, while other folks are gearheads and are extremely invested in tinkering with and modifying their guns and equipment. There are always some folks who take their hobby way too seriously, but in my own experience I've found everyone I've played with to be friendly and out to have a good game.

Is it safe?

Absolutely, though protective equipment and a certain amount of common sense are required to maximize safety while playing. One of the most common questions people ask is, "Does it hurt?" The answer is, "Sometimes, but usually not." The ammunition used in airsoft are small plastic BBs that are 6mm in diameter. Sometimes you can get hit and not even feel it; sometimes the BBs can break skin (though this doesn't happen often).

It all depends on circumstances. If you're running around the field wearing only shorts and a t-shirt, it's possible you may go home covered in welts and bruises at the end of the day. I definitely wouldn't play in shorts, but I've seen plenty of people doing so. Getting hit kind of feels like being snapped hard with a rubberband that's held right up next to you: if it's on bare skin, it's going to hurt. However, if you're wearing jeans and a long sleeved shirt, you probably have little to worry about.

The number one rule of safety is to wear eye protection. That can't be stressed enough. Face protection is also recommended (there are many stories of people getting chipped teeth from stray BBs to the mouth), but solid ANSI rated eye protection is the most important thing. Use a bit of common sense (e.g. always wear your eye protection on the playing field, treat your weapon as if it were a real gun, etc.) and you really won't run into any problems.

More posts to come. Comments, questions and miscellaneous whatever are always welcome.

Yw-slayer
February 19th, 2014, 12:03 AM
I agree. It's good fun.

My friend runs Red Wolf. True story.

Mortavian
February 19th, 2014, 12:36 AM
That's super cool, seriously. Ask him if he can get me a deal on a pair of these bad boys:

http://i.imgur.com/ZbFuzgN.jpg

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Gas_Blow_Back_Pistols_Airsoftsurgeon_Airsoft_Surge on_Face_Off_V12_Limited_Edition.htm

:lol:

Yw-slayer
February 19th, 2014, 06:23 AM
If you are serious about it (seriously), I am more than willing to ask him. Having said that, I'm not sure you're going to get a SUPER-MEGA-GREAT-DEAL on them, given the product in question. Shipping to Japan?

Godson
February 19th, 2014, 06:34 AM
I have always wanted to do airsoft. But I don't need anymore hobbies :lol:

You can dump some serious money into airsoft.

Mortavian
February 19th, 2014, 06:59 AM
If you are serious about it (seriously), I am more than willing to ask him.

Was just having a bit of fun, sorry to say, though I do appreciate the gesture! I wish I had that much disposable income to drop on this (or any other) hobby! You're definitely right about one thing, though - shipping to and from this place is ridiculously expensive. How's the shipping out of HK?

Mortavian
February 19th, 2014, 07:03 AM
I have always wanted to do airsoft. But I don't need anymore hobbies :lol:

You can dump some serious money into airsoft.

It's definitely one hobby where it's easy to snowball and starting wanting more stuff once you acquire other stuff! Still, if you're interested, no reason you couldn't give it a shot and check it out! Most serious fields do rentals, while starter guns begin at a quite affordable price. BBs are quite cheap too, making it a lot easier for newbies to jump into over something like paintball. Just food for thought. :)

Godson
February 19th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Yeah. I agree, but for now I'll stick with my pursuit to 3-gun competitions...until I get upset of the cost to compete.

Yw-slayer
February 19th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Was just having a bit of fun, sorry to say, though I do appreciate the gesture! I wish I had that much disposable income to drop on this (or any other) hobby! You're definitely right about one thing, though - shipping to and from this place is ridiculously expensive. How's the shipping out of HK?

I don't know - I can just go pick stuff up from him if I want. ;)

I have a TM G36, which I bought from somewhere else before I got to know him. Bought some tactical rails, 1 or 2 tac lights, and a laser sight (got over-excited by the thought of re-enacting Shaun of the Dead and/or Predator). I've used it in maybe 2-3 "serious" Airsoft games. It now lives next to our home server. I also think all my BBs have expired by now. I just love the look and feel of the G36.

Godson
February 19th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I wonder what the barrel lengths are on the AR variants...

Rikadyn
February 19th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I wonder what the barrel lengths are on the AR variants...

what length do you want?

Rikadyn
February 19th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I have a CA G36E and a JG G3SG1. used to have a G&G UMP but sold it. Haven't played in a good couple of years since my old team leader got paranoid that I was going to try and rip the team away from him and kicked me off..

Godson
February 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM
what length do you want?

I'd want something around 12-14 at the longest. I like the feel of SBRs

Rikadyn
February 19th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I'd want something around 12-14 at the longest. I like the feel of SBRs

the default barrel length will most likely be the same as an actual m16, and they're fairly easy parts to change around if you want longer

Godson
February 19th, 2014, 01:00 PM
standard on the real deal is 20 in. Anything below 16 in the real gun world is an SBR and requires a tax stamp and proper paperwork to own do to BATF restrictions.

Rikadyn
February 19th, 2014, 01:25 PM
So you're looking for an M4 or an M4 CQB style rifle then...yea if you want an AR airsoft gun, they come in as many different flavors as the real thing, some can even wear the same furniture as real weapons.

speedpimp
February 19th, 2014, 02:18 PM
That first pic looks like the cast of a really bad war movie.

Rob
February 19th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Airsoft phase during our teens escalated into an arms race which ended with people buying actual air weapons that fired .22 metal pellets which could easily break skin through clothing.

My brother reinforced the compression valve in his rifle and it would crack a housebrick in half at 40 feet. Nobody fancied getting shot with that so we all stopped.

Yw-slayer
February 20th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Airsoft phase during our teens escalated into an arms race which ended with people buying actual air weapons that fired .22 metal pellets which could easily break skin through clothing.

My brother reinforced the compression valve in his rifle and it would crack a housebrick in half at 40 feet. Nobody fancied getting shot with that so we all stopped.

Over here you'd get done for that: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1222874/police-arrest-12-after-raid-air-gun-shop

In fact I bought my G36E and all the relevant accessories from exactly that shop. I obviously kept everything stock, thouh, as there's really no need to mod anything, particularly as most of our "games" took place in relatively small urban airsoft areas where a pistol would be more than good enough.

Mortavian
February 20th, 2014, 01:16 AM
I think Japan has some of the lowest FPS limits around when it comes to airsofting. Of course, Tokyo Marui has some crazy good hop-ups in their guns, so that helps balance it out.

To add more content, here's a vid of gameplay taken by yours truly at my first game of 2014. Camera is a helmet mounted Contour, gun is a TM SPAS-12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pYh8fWhwYY

Not pictured in video: me getting shot repeatedly by snipers who outranged my CQC setup. :lol: