PDA

View Full Version : New Kickstarter: Modarri Cars

21Kid
February 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM
Getting one for my son for his Birthday!!!

MODARRI CARS: Feel the Road (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1344682921/modarri-cars-feel-the-road)
by ThoughtFull Toys · You're a backer

Durable, finger-powered toy cars with interchangeable parts, real steering, suspension, rubber tires & no batteries needed.

Modular- Each of the 12 parts are designed for quick builds, you won't have to search for tiny pieces.

Performance- each car has a different suspension travel from low and stiff on the track car to tall and springy on the dirt car. Different body parts and frames allow unique grip and tricks. All cars have super sticky tires too.

Style- All the body parts are designed to work in any combination, even leaving some body parts off, every build will be a unique cool look, the color pallet is designed to always look good with any mashup you create. You get to be the auto designer.

With one Modarri car you can make four possible cars, with two cars there are over a thousand unique cars possible, with THREE PACK there are tens of thousands of unique possible car combinations and with all seven cars there are over a hundred million unique combinations!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/526/398/b315007a1c807ea7377d731bf8389b37_large.jpg?1389741 425
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/566/497/2761989537da635f30a3155e8f977962_large.gif?1390792 180
They've almost already met both of their stretch goals, which means free extra parts too!

thesameguy
February 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM
I may get on board with this - I think my nephew would dig it. Aren't there other similar products, though? What makes these special?

Kchrpm
February 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Customization and working suspensions. I don't know if those things are completely unique in the market as I don't follow them.

I don't know that I'd use a Kickstarter thing for a birthday gift, they're not known for on-time delivery.

21Kid
February 21st, 2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I was worried about that. It's over a month before hand. Hopefully that gives them enough time.

Kchrpm
February 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM
They say they have several steps left to complete, but they're projecting delivery in just a few months? Nice.

21Kid
February 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Maybe they're just trying to re-coup start up costs? :shrug:

21Kid
February 24th, 2014, 11:04 AM
YES!!! 2nd Stretch goal achieved!!! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1344682921/modarri-cars-feel-the-road/posts/757276)

Hello Backers!!

You guys are amazing! Thanks to all of your support we’ve reached our 2nd Stretch Goal!

What does this mean? Well, everyone who has pledged $20 or more is getting an extra Kickstarter Green Metallic Frame!

We are truly grateful for all the love we have received from you guys. Modarri Cars is a reality and it’s all thanks to YOU!

We could not have gotten this far without your help! We still have four more days to go and we have added more 3-pack Early Bird Specials, so if you haven’t already tell your friends and family about this great deal!

thesameguy
February 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Ah, fuck it - I'm in.

Godson
February 24th, 2014, 12:30 PM
This is badass.

Sad, little man
February 24th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I gotta say I don't really get it... So it's a toy car. But... Since you put your finger in it, that makes it... Better than all the other toy cars?

Rob
February 25th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Are you suggesting that a woman you can't put your finger in is as good as one you can?

Yw-slayer
February 25th, 2014, 05:05 AM
USD65+USD25 for int'l shipping? I am SO IN.

21Kid
February 25th, 2014, 07:15 AM
SLM - I can't remember seeing playable model cars with interchangeable parts that have steering & suspension that you can actually play with.

Usually it's interchangeable parts with a model only, that you can't play with...
Or if it has a suspension it's on only 1 fixed car type, probably without steering.
etc...

The only thing similar I can think of are RC cars. And those aren't as accessible, interchangeable, and definitely not affordable.

thesameguy
February 25th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I swear I have seen something exactly like these before. I think they were Japanese in origin. However, after a pretty comprehensive search on the tubes last week I came up with nothing, so either I imagined them or they are just NLA.

I remember Tamiya came out with the little motorized cars that were replicas of their scale R/C buggies, and then shortly later someone else came out with a similar product that was customizable and articulated, etc. Possibly Kyosho? That would have been 15 years ago or so, so it's completely reasonable to believe if they did exist they don't anymore.

thesameguy
February 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Less than 1000 backers on this project, and still managed $70k. Not bad.

21Kid
April 9th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Toy Fair Best of Show Trophy

We've been so busy getting ready for the first production run that we forgot to show you all the nifty little award we won in New York. Popular Science magazine awarded Modarri the Best of Toy Fair for 2014. It was particularly thrilling as David has been a subscriber since he was 8 or 9, and wouldn't have been more happy if was the Nobel Prize! You also get a glimpse of the retail packing shown behind the trophy. Thanks again to our KS backers who were the first to say Modarri is "best of"!

thesameguy
November 5th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Took a while, but got mine yesterday. The delays were really not any sort of issue, as I plan on giving at least two of the three I got away as Christmas gifts to young relatives. Although I am not impressed with the packaging, the product itself is pretty darned cool - and to some degree the lackluster packaging is a bonus as I could check them out without opening anything. ;) I'm not sure about the prospects for them as, for most people, they are going to seem really expensive for what they are but when you get down into the nitty gritty, there is nothing else like them. Overall, a strong :up:

21Kid
November 5th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I haven't received mine yet. It's going to be my son's Xmas present as well. I hope he likes it. I think he will be into the tools and putting the parts together, etc... probably more than driving them around.

Godson
November 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I participated in a kick starter for a wallet called billetus. Hope to have mine by the end of the month.

Yw-slayer
November 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I'm waiting for mine, as they were no doubt shipped from China to the US and are now being shipped back again, LOL. Should be good fun.

Yw-slayer
November 23rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Got them on Friday. They are damn good. Minor steering problem with the Track Car but it seems to have been fixed by removing the wheels and rejigging the suspension slightly.