PDA

View Full Version : Golf.

Freude am Fahren
March 1st, 2014, 01:47 PM
After a long fall and early winter of not playing any golf, I've been playing a bit again, and I feel better out there than I have in a long time. Last round was one of my best ever. It was only a 93, a number I've shot around before, but it was nearly completely legit. Only one mulligan, and took any and all appropriate penalties (4 in all I think). I always seem to have only one part of my game working, but last time, I was very consistent (something I struggle with) with solid, long drives and pretty good irons (the roughest part of my game when I was playing more last year). Only lost 3 balls (all in water).

I know a lot of you out there are still waiting for the thaw to get out there again, but I thought I'd start a thread for all things golf (discussion of the pro game as well, which is in my neck of the woods this week and next).

Equipment-wise, I just ordered a new set of irons. Been wanting to get a new set for a while. I've been playing on the same set with graphite shafts since I started, and wanted steel based on how much better I like the feel of my steel shafted wedges. Saw a set I liked with a great price and that sealed it. I worry a bit about buying without "fitting" them, but I don't know if I'm at that point where it's really worth it. I take it they just bend them to fit, so I could do it later anyway if I wanted. Still really need a new putter, or at least to regrip my current one.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Looks like somebody just put out some Drew bait.

drew
March 1st, 2014, 05:05 PM
I haven't used the clubs in anger in almost 2 summers. That's about to change really, really soon though.

Conman
March 3rd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Was going to play today, but a serious cold front moved through. It was 70 yesterday and today's high is supposed to be 40. Currently it is 32. This sucks.

drew
March 3rd, 2014, 09:05 AM
Whereas it's almost 80 here, and I've got too much fucking shit to do to "sneak" out....

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM
Played today. Sucked. The 45 minute drive in shitty traffic didn't help.

Yw-slayer
March 4th, 2014, 01:43 AM
It's a good-value, very versatile vehicle. No wonder it's one of the best-selling cars in the world.

Freude am Fahren
March 4th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I see Rabbits when I Golf all the time.

drew
April 2nd, 2014, 05:03 AM
Just ordered a new Calloway 60º MD2 wedge to replace the one that walked off last year...

My old one was my money club. It was like throwing darts with that thing. Didn't matter the angle, it'd hit/skip/stop. #spinistheshit

Hopefully this one will be similar.

JoshInKC
April 2nd, 2014, 05:22 AM
My wife wants to get out and "do" more, so I'm fairly seriously considering picking up golf again this summer.
So, wife in golf skirts and "working on her swing" - :up:.
It's going to take some research beforehand, because I haven't picked up a club in anger since I moved to KC like 12 years ago, and I need to find a cheap course- the only one I've heard pricing info on up here is highway robbery.

Kchrpm
April 2nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
Reddit suggestions ( http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/1nj96g/golf_memberships_in_kansas_city_area/ ) include a service called The Club that lets you pay $20 fees for 18 holes w/cart at 6 different clubs in the area.

https://theclubmember.com/index.php?d=1

Conman
April 2nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
Played Monday for the first time this year. Hit about 80% of the fairways, and 10% of GIR. Short game needs lots of work as well. But it was a beautiful day and I wasn't at work! Now if I can carve time out of my busy schedule to play at least once a week or so, I'll be happy.

Freude am Fahren
April 2nd, 2014, 07:29 AM
I haven't had a chance to play proper rounds lately, but been working at the range a lot. Unfortunately the only ranges close to me are mats (or mats on the days I can go).

harper
April 2nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
I've only picked up a club in anger like twice in Japan at the driving range. It's waaaaay too expensive to think about getting my clubs out here :(

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Not much of a golf fan but I can appreciate a nicely designed course. I've visited the Harbor Shores course in Benton Harbor, MI twice over the past week with deliveries for the Sr PGA event they are hosting in May. Guy that runs the event seems pretty cool as well.

overpowered
November 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPPnVo0CII

George
November 19th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Good timing in bumping this thread today, as I just saw this elsewhere on the web this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/feYFE3T.gif

Conman
November 20th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Ha, probably the best swing that guy took all day!

Random
November 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
The GIF cuts off the whole first part of the video, which was the dude with the RC car fucking with their golf balls on the green. :|

dodint
March 4th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Since I had to go to pre-Trump times to get this thread, I reckon we don't have a lot of players here? I am picking up the sticks for the first time in seven years this season.

I joined the VGA Tour (Veteran Golfers Association) to keep myself motivated. They play a lot of good courses for reasonable fees.

Not buying a ton of new equipment, the clubs are not the reason I am bad. I reconfigured my bag, went from 3w, 5w, 21T, 3i to a 4w, 20h, 27h setup. I never liked the idea of hybrid irons but I am getting too old to stand on principle so I am giving them a go.

Tom Servo
March 4th, 2021, 04:43 PM
I play on occasion, but that gnome living in the windmill pisses me off enough that I haven't in a while.

JoshInKC
March 4th, 2021, 06:10 PM
I've thought about picking it up again but all the local courses seem too damn expensive.
Subsequently, I only ever play when I'm visiting my dad and the weather is nice, which is rare.

Freude am Fahren
March 4th, 2021, 06:15 PM
I think I've played 2-3 times since the pandemic started. Played really well last time out (first time since April) back in early January. Hope to get again soon here in TX.

dodint
March 4th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Meanwhile, my club pro won't even start lessons until April because the ground alternates between wet and frozen. :lol:

drew
March 11th, 2021, 07:25 AM
I've played 3-4 times in the last year. There's still signs of my "game" there, but golf isn't one of those things that ends itself to be good without constant practice. Unlike pool, where I can pick up a cue for the first time in months/a year, and usually run the first rack (then shit all over the table after that). Golf you just look like a monkey fucking a football without constant practice.

dodint
March 11th, 2021, 07:36 AM
I think I'm going to give spark.golf a shot. Social 9-hole evening golf league. A few local courses participate.

drew
March 11th, 2021, 09:29 AM
I should just sign up for something, there's a golf course literally 30 seconds away...

dodint
March 11th, 2021, 11:31 AM
Yeah, right now I feel like I just need reps under my belt. So a weekly 9-hole league sounds good.

drew
March 11th, 2021, 01:23 PM
Anything with this "game" that is a consistent practice is a good thing. Even if it's once a week.

I'm on about a every 5-6 weeks thing....

When I was in Indiana, it was 6-7 times a week... (2008-2010 I played 150 minimum rounds each summer (Mar-October)). most I ever played in one weekend was 36 on Friday, 54 on Saturday, and 36 Sunday. All but one of the 7 rounds was walked. I was going to do 54 on that Sunday, but I was fucking exhausted.

speedpimp
March 11th, 2021, 02:06 PM
Last time I went golfing was in '91. Went with my then brother in law. As soon as we were out of sight of the club house the shirts were off and the beers were opened. Took about three hours to do nine holes. Got drunk and incredibly sunburnt. That's when I developed the FOREsight never to golf again.

dodint
March 15th, 2021, 04:38 AM
Sounds like a few of the unit golf events we had when I was in the Marines. You haven't really played until you have seen a grown man urinate on his lie. Relief, *ahem*.

dodint
August 26th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Since I had to go to pre-Trump times to get this thread, I reckon we don't have a lot of players here? I am picking up the sticks for the first time in seven years this season.

I joined the VGA Tour (Veteran Golfers Association) to keep myself motivated. They play a lot of good courses for reasonable fees.

Not buying a ton of new equipment, the clubs are not the reason I am bad. I reconfigured my bag, went from 3w, 5w, 21T, 3i to a 4w, 20h, 27h setup. I never liked the idea of hybrid irons but I am getting too old to stand on principle so I am giving them a go.

Awww, yeah!

Broke 100 today for the first time ever with a +24 round for 94, still using mostly 21-year-old clubs. The irons are that old, anyway. Did spring for a new(ish) putter. It took a few months, a bunch of lessons, and 19 rounds of golf but I did it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/SD-qBvndc01TYHTgnxqWpoQrAXpfoWlM4ovzZthoyVA5FvqcMWBlH OJTzqagBACHCAvunqZWpqRqgXcyg-920IwsviPWo3el_q6quFRXNrdVCfc1cciaxtwtiC2lYSAicM9Y utyKYQ6wA1yWHT2UhnubzQryjq34gnYwVu59yJ6GgS8SiWrID1 izsu_4SuowhWdUluDnnjl_kK8L_BkWAYbMGAanrOf87sG4VPPD l23nRBnald9y5q0zCW_yle3avRjWCEf069k9lVwkdPjMocW3gV U1DbtibApy-NgovP5Euaku2zgvG6SoE6XHfJfU6SabpyLx4N32tl1B-AL678lyq7nLiWcKnyjMDtnOmhgefibj3iZKrTWFTAs0iomrA0p 6eD_YiZM3kDC2-9P-flLfDQiKD-buBWit__3WSXK6POD1nwpfpsx6wzXa0HQQXp6mNXGjLmEnl26X hxCpPvv__XhQEIdj7w-GFtA9THdm2lvsn-2gUvvKuoUVb083YbRXObOt_AqOE6z8x_3C1Twe1Yrx_voPb7D5 xv2juZJY9PsRIo7JpCOLSQgrkIjA-GePQ11eL-EoeznYZyV6LJTrYEqcaD6jQM5OhrtMdVVmOEbVtC9Aj-7fBNYvHvLEXOiCbGCfUxlKtV0nU_I0qT_bwVcvFiUexFxZ96v5 cNB7ANDaQMrR2KiL8bzE3_WOB5SviAIvWI_2GRL_ec-vaNaLig=w1250-h938-no?authuser=0

Now I just need to do it again and again. My handicap index is 31.9 and I'd love to get it down to 28 by the end of the season.

Freude am Fahren
August 26th, 2021, 03:54 PM
:up:

As soon as it starts to cool off here, I'm gonna try to get out again!

George
August 27th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Broke 100 today for the first time ever with a +24 round for 94, still using mostly 21-year-old clubs. The irons are that old, anyway. Did spring for a new(ish) putter. It took a few months, a bunch of lessons, and 19 rounds of golf but I did it.

Congratulations! Now you should try an 18-hole course. :lol:

No, just kidding, obviously...that's quite an achievement.

I had been playing with my son in 2018 - 2019 on a Par 3 9-hole course but then he outgrew the clubs that we got from our neighbors across the street who have a boy a few years older. We didn't play at all in 2020. He's probably tall enough now to use an old set that was my grandfather's. It's the same set I used when I was a teenager.

I don't know how old they are but the woods are made of wood - not the shafts, but the heads, anyway. The irons don't look any different the irons do today. They aren't anything special, except for the canvas walking bag on which my grandfather stenciled his (and our) last name. There's also a small hole where a mouse chewed through the bag decades ago, before it came into my possession.

I don't like golf enough to pursue it on my own, but being able to play at some level and knowing the rules and the etiquette may come in handy for him someday. It was something my father taught me and his father taught him and so on.

dodint
August 29th, 2021, 06:40 PM
I have my grandfather's clubs in an old bag of his. I keep them around for sentimental reasons, particularly the bag.
Those canvas bags are neat.