PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 keeps resetting to unsaved theme

drew
March 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM
This is pissing me off.

I set a background/desktop pic, and after 4-5 minutes, it resets to unsaved theme (without the background).

Google search yields nothing worthwhile...

Thoughts?

thesameguy
March 6th, 2014, 09:02 PM
What files are in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\th emes ?

Rare White Ape
March 7th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Got a virus?

drew
March 7th, 2014, 04:01 AM
TSG, just the one I saved. But when you right click "personalize" it creates a new "Unsaved Theme".... I can select the one I saved, but after a few minutes, it reverts back and creates the Unsaved one again, even after I delete it.

Michael, not according to AVG.

thesameguy
March 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Yep, what's in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\th emes ?

If there is anything in there other than picture files, delete them.

drew
March 10th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Went there, my jpg was there and a "slide show.ini" that I deleted.

Still changed/created an "unsaved theme" about 5 minutes later.

Fuck it.

Kchrpm
March 10th, 2014, 06:49 AM
That sounds like some annoying employer restriction that makes sure you don't break anything by breaking it for you.

Kchrpm
March 10th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Similar issue (theme reset after reboot) solved by removing LogMeIn from startup procedure.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/151581-windows-7-theme-reverts-back-after-reboot

Perhaps there is some program that cycles every 5 minutes rather than just on reboot.

Following the thread linked from that thread, there are some other potential solutions based on the fact that the issue is being seen on Asus computers.

drew
March 10th, 2014, 11:22 AM
This is my personal PC, I don't give a fuck about the work machine. I treat it like you would any other tool in the toolbox (including throwing it).

I've looked at everything I can think of, I guess it's just a "fuck it" thing.

Strange thing though, I have my "default" set to a black screen and no icons, which was changed from having icons. It loses the wallpaper and goes to the black/no icons.

Ass.

Random
March 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Reinstall? *ducks*

thesameguy
March 10th, 2014, 11:29 AM
How are you making the wallpaper?

drew
March 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
photoshop, save as jpg, choose as wallpaper in "personalize".

thesameguy
March 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Man, all my ideas are going out the window.

Do you have up to date video drivers installed? When the background disappears, does anything else about the theme change? Does Aero get turned off or colors change? Is there a second user account on the system?

drew
March 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM
To answer; Drivers yes. No, no, and no to the others...

I'm jumping on the "fuck it" bandwagon.

It's got me baffled...

thesameguy
March 11th, 2014, 11:43 AM
If you get bored, try adding a second user account and then logging on with it. If you don't have the same problem, it's something unique to your profile (the profile itself, a program running in startup, etc.). If you do, it's a probably a hardware driver (more likely than not the video card). With that information, if it really bugs you and failing anything else, you can either try removing your profile and starting new, or going through hardware devices and updating drivers.

It is probably a piece of software doing it - a remote access client or server (logmein, teamviewer, etc.) would be a likely culprit, something that has a need to simplify the desktop to make it easier to access remotely. You mentioned it's your work computer... is it logging into a domain? Is it possible it's group policy?

drew
March 11th, 2014, 12:18 PM
No, it's NOT my work computer. That's what's fucking me off about it.

I'll drink and look at it later.

21Kid
March 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM
To many dick pics overloading the video card?

thesameguy
March 11th, 2014, 01:54 PM
No, it's NOT my work computer. That's what's fucking me off about it.

I'll drink and look at it later.

Oh snap. Well, in that case I really endorse the idea of creating a second user profile and seeing if the same thing happens there. If not, just start using the second profile. :D

drew
March 12th, 2014, 04:45 AM
To many dick pics overloading the video card?

Nope. Just one big one of yours.

Jacee
March 16th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Drew, what version of Win 7 do you have? Have you tried right clicking and 'take ownership'?

drew
March 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Right clicking...where?

Jacee
March 28th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Right click on the saved .jpg, then select "take ownership". Now click to open the picture in Windows Photo Viewer ... right click on the picture again and choose set as desktop back ground.

drew
April 9th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Ok, no "take ownership". I can set as desktop, but it reverts after a few minutes.

I concede.