PDA

View Full Version : Do scary games scare you off playing them?

SkylineObsession
March 8th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Maybe i've lost my nerve in my old age, but i'm finding that over the past few years (10 or so :P ) i don't really want to play scaryish games, like Resident Evil Nemesis (even though i think i got quite far through it), newer Silent Hill ones and, most recently, Outlast on the PS4. Well, i DO want to play them - but don't, at the same time. :erm:

Recent example being Outlast:

I was enjoying it for a while, then the encounters started getting too ... encountery (even though you expect some of them, like the weird due sitting in a wheelchair early on in the game). Then i went into the basementy area after getting into the security room, and eventually wound up in the very very dark area where you have to turn on gas pumps and something else so that some other thing will work. Using the infared on the camera (which eats batteries way too quick - the bastards :D ) to find my way around, i went into the first room and closed the door, then turned the pump on.

Then i heard the thumping.

I quickly ran and hit behind a round tank/container thing along the back wall. The door got kicked in shortly after, some thing wanders in and stops somewhere. Can't see anything from behind the blardy container. Is it coming from the other side of it to me? Nope, shit, maybe he's beside me - better look back. Nope. Other side again? Nop.... grrrr, screw this, i'm gonna have to move out a bit to see where the heck it is.

*moves*

Hmmm, nothin.. OH SHIT!!! IT'S SEEN ME AND IS COMING TOWARDS ME!!! FVCK!!!! I HAVE NO-WHERE TO GO!!! AND I CAN'T FIGHT BACK!!! GO AWAY!!! GET LO................(dead)

Hmmm.

In my second attempt i explored the room first, saw lockers to hide in. Flipped the switch, quickly hid in the lockers and waited for him/her/it to arrive. Through the grill thing i could see it walk in (using night vision, whole place is pitch black almost), then it walked back out, and i was listening for ages to try determine where it went. Could hear it sploshing through the water on the floor in the main room, and could tell when it was coming back. Which it did every now and then.

Eventually i ventured out, made my way to the door (using infrared again - running low on batteries now...), did a quick scan of the room and saw not much in the close range, other than the third rooms door being open now, and white light coming from it. Hmmm, maybe i should head ov...... FRICK!!!! I see its sillhouette in the newly opened door!!

*Sprints back to locker*

*never ventures out again*

*turns game off*

:o

Am i alone? Should i man up and keep giving my heart/reactions a workout?

It's weird though, it's one thing playing a game like these, but another watching a scary movie. I'm ALWAYS looking for movies that will scare me, as i've been underwhelmed with a hell of a lot of them. Paranormal Activity movies are some of the best i've ever seen in terms of frights (some people - like my brother - don't agree, but everyone is different) as well as Aussie made, The Tunnel (watched it free when the company released it on the net for free, then bought the DVD later https://www.facebook.com/TheTunnelMovie ) and a small handful of others. Rec and Rec 2 weren't too bad (Rec 3 is a bit of a joke though) but yeah.

http://global3.memecdn.com/seems-legit_o_957960.gif

Yw-slayer
March 8th, 2014, 04:27 AM
I never finished DOOM2 due to the dark levels, and didn't make it past level 2 or 3 of DOOM3 (although maybe that was because that wasn't actually very good). I don't actively seek out horror movies, but I do like watching them once in a while, my "favourite" being The Exorcist. So I'm not too different.

MR2 Fan
March 8th, 2014, 10:50 AM
so I'm guessing you won't be doing any Oculus Rift horror games then?

Alan P
March 8th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I can't play them. I tried FEAR and the little girl creeped me the hell out. I stopped playing a few minutes later. Mind you I don't like creepy movies either.

Yw-slayer
March 8th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Chris - probably not, but who knows.

Yobbo NZ
March 8th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Doom 3 did me in.
I think it was a combination of the darkness,although the flashlight mod helped,and the baby crawly things that put me off.I still haven't played it again after all these years.
Movies aren't as bad,but I can't stand stuff like The Ring where shit flashes up on screen at random times just for a scare.
Good old hack and slash films are great though.

Godson
March 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I miss suspense. The original aliens kind of suspense.

New horror, be it a game or movie, is just startling. Not scary.

SkylineObsession
March 8th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Yeah, Aliens and Predator etc were great movies.

New Alien game reminds me a lot of Outlast though... :eek:

jimeezlady
March 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM
The zombie dogs crashing through the window in Resident Evil were PRICELESS!! Jimeez almost fell out of his chair and I laughed till I hurt... :lol:

Godson
March 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
That one was good but predictable IMO. Now on the N64 of RE2, the NEMESIS crashing through the wall trying to kill you had me toss the controller across the room.

Zevious Zoquis
March 9th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I have very little problem with monster movies (zombies, aliens, dinosaurs, whatever) or games but I have a really hard time with any movies that involve innocent folk being terrorized by serial killers or psychopaths. Never watched a Saw movie or Human Centipede. Really, ever since I had kids I just can't stomach that stuff. Just a bit too "possible" I guess. I had a friend when I was young who was one of those kids who had a real thing for horror movies - the gorier the better. He was a fan of this guy named Hershel West who made a bunch of horror movies in the 60s and 70s. Guy must have been a real piece of work. I saw one or two of those movies (one I remember was called Ten Thousand Maniacs) and they were quite upsetting. I just don't have any desire to watch that kind of stuff...

Rob
March 11th, 2014, 03:16 AM
I have a really hard time with any movies that involve innocent folk being terrorized by serial killers or psychopaths. Never watched a Saw movie

The first one is a seriously good thriller and not technically what you seem to think it is. It's also nowhere near as gory as the later ones.

Watch it but skip the rest.