PDA

View Full Version : Denver car chase

GB
March 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Holy shit.

www.thedenverchannel.com

Crazed_Insanity
March 12th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Saw some raw footage. This guy probably got a lot of practice playing GTA?

George
March 12th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Wow. That ended up in my general part of town. I got a really uneasy feeling watching that video - far more than from flipping channels on TV and coming across something similar on COPS and similar shows filmed in some far-off city. He's going to gone for a very, very long time, I bet - just the kidnapping the 4-year-old charge ought to do the trick, to say nothing of hitting and injuring a law enforcement officer and all those other people and their property.

Rob
March 12th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Saw some raw footage. This guy probably got a lot of practice playing GTA?

George
March 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Because I'm sure the stuff to be seen at the original link will change, here's this. Who can count the most crimes committed?

By the way, E470 is a toll road. I wonder if they'll tack on some extra charge just for that.

DENVER - This is a rough timeline of the police pursuit Wednesday morning of the man suspected of stealing a minivan with a child inside.

Around 6 a.m.: 1750 Main St. in Longmont -- A red minivan with a child inside is stolen from a Bradley gas station.

7:15 a.m.: SB I-25 near 120th: AirTracker7 spots the red minivan on southbound I-25 with police vehicles with lights flashing pursuing. He is swerving in and out of traffic and driving on the shoulder.

7:18 a.m.: SB I-25 and 104th: Suspect appears to exit at 104th Avenue but then swerves back onto crowded highway.

7:20 a.m.: SB I-25 and Thornton Parkway. Red minivan exits highway at Thornton Parkway just as three police vehicles enter highway. He continues on Thornton Parkway and winds through several side streets, running red lights and swerving across lanes.

7:25 a.m.: Suspect goes the wrong way through several side streets narrowly missing vehicles.

7:27 a.m.: He drives into an industrial lot and does a big loop to get out.

7:29 a.m.: E-470 -- Gets stuck in parking lot and drives down grassy embankment to enter E470.

7:39 a.m.: E-470 and 152nd/Frontage road off Eagle -- Suspect jumps out of stolen red minivan and carjacks gold minivan.

7:40 a.m: I-76 -- Suspect heads south, going wrong way on northbound I-76.

7:41 a.m.: Exits at 136th Avenue heading west

7:43 a.m.: Goes south on Highway 85

7:44 a.m.: Exits Nome Street going north

7:44 a.m.: Takes E470 exit going south

7:48 a.m. E470 and 96th Ave. -- Officer throws stop sticks but was unsuccessful.

7:49 a.m.: Goes past Pena Blvd. southbound

7:53 a.m.: Goes past I-70, still on E470

7:57 a.m. Passes Quincy weaving in and out of cars

8:01 a.m.: Goes past Parker Road exit

8:03 a.m. E-470 just past the Chambers Road exit -- Suspect hits trooper who was trying to lay down stop sticks.

8:04 a.m. : Belford just west of Peoria near Liberty (near E-470 and Peoria) -- suspects jumps out of gold minivan and carjacks silver BMW.

8:06 a.m.: Lincoln and Peoria -- Chase ends with suspect jumping out of vehicle and trying to climb fence.

8:07 a.m.: 12501 E. Lincoln Ave. -- Police capture suspect.

You're doing it all wrong, man!

That ended 3.5 miles from my house, per google driving directions. It's less as the crow flies.

GB
March 12th, 2014, 02:57 PM
The chase.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/raw-video-watch-entire-video-of-wild-police-chase-of-kidnapping-carjacking-suspect-caught-on-tape

George
March 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Wow, that's a 54-minute video!

Some internet funster should do an animated gif of the first minute with little popup cartoon balloons with "WTF!" popping up from every car he passes.

And speaking of passing, that red van must be FLYING in the early part of this film. Interstates traffic pretty much hauls ass out here - outside cities the speed limit is 75 mph. Even right through Denver on I-25 the speed limit stays at 65, I think - certainly that's what it is on the south side of the metro area in surrounding suburbs where I live and work. I was on I-25 today for a lunchtime errand and proved it possible to cruise an old Accord at 80 mph comfortably in a middle lane. I was just keeping up with traffic doing 80 in a 65. I must assume the others in the first part of the video were going over 65 as well. That van was flat-out gettin' it!

And there was a CHILD in the car! As a parent, I am astounded. I'm making fun becuase that's what we do here, but as a parent I am horrified. What if he'd wrecked?

Watch right around the 5:00 minute mark - three cops are turning on the on-ramp as he tiptoes behind them on the off ramp. Great camera work by the helicopter crew throughout but I really liked how they zoomed out to show the cops. That's impressive to me.

He's probably thinking right then, "heh heh heh...I lost them!" He actually stopped and waited at a red light around 5:40 that he could have easily flown through once the traffic turning in front of him was gone.

And then he takes off again at around 6:00. Okay, I'll stop with the play-by-play but wow, what a video!

GB
March 12th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I was drinking coffee and watching it live as CNN Headline News aired it. Too much adrenaline much too early in the morning.

Yw-slayer
March 12th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Silver "BMW"? Great reporting from http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/raw-video-watch-entire-video-of-wild-police-chase-of-kidnapping-carjacking-suspect-caught-on-tape Good footage though.

Crazed_Insanity
March 13th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Reporter was doing pretty good with a red SUV and gold van, but wonder why a car must be BMW? That Ford Edge sure took a beating well. Can't say the same for the Kia? minivan? Wonder if that Camry could last longer if it hadn't been hit. Sure was a pretty intense chase. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt. Things could've ended VERY badly.

The guy drove pretty good, but runs like a sissy though! BTW, are the cops there wearing very thick coats or just very fat? :D

George
March 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM
are the cops there wearing very thick coats?

Didn't you notice the snow on the ground?

This is Colorado in March, after all. In other words, winter! :D

GB
March 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM
It was nice comic relief when the guy slipped on the ice and busted his ass, then was too weak to lift himself over the fence.

George
March 13th, 2014, 12:34 PM
People in my office are still talking of little else a day later.

The women seem most interested in how harshly the red minivan owner will be punished for leaving a child in a car unattended.

I'm wondering if the person's car he drove on the toll road will get billed for it. There aren't toll-takers but just license plate cameras and they mail the bill to the corresponding address. I'm imagining the car owner down at the local gov't collection agency trying to explain to the stone-faced clerk who has heard every excuse for not paying 100 times before:

"My car was STOLEN! It was on TV! Look it up on your computer right now!"

Speaking of that, all the victims of carjackings and car collisions are probably delighted that it's all on video to show their insurance companies.

overpowered
March 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Once the helicopters show up, you're done.

I'm wondering how many felonies he committed during that chase.

thesameguy
March 13th, 2014, 01:21 PM
That is a common misconception. You can definitely take out helicopters if you're properly prepared.

thesameguy
March 13th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Speaking of that, all the victims of carjackings and car collisions are probably delighted that it's all on video to show their insurance companies.

Unless of course the dude was taking his orders from the Almighty, and thus all the damage was an Act of God, and thus excluded from their coverage.

George
March 13th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Unless of course the dude was taking his orders from the Almighty, and thus all the damage was an Act of God, and thus excluded from their coverage.

You're right!

Folks without kids might not recognize this guy:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110529172137/pixar/images/f/fa/Gilbert_huph.png

overpowered
March 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
That is a common misconception. You can definitely take out helicopters if you're properly prepared.
I left my RPG in my other pants.

GB
March 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM
"Aren't we supposed to help our customers?"

"For legal reasons, you know I have to answer 'yes' to that question!"

George
March 18th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Updates, if anyone cares.

Short summaries below links for those who want the Cliffs Notes version.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/12/chase-suspect-has-extensive-arrest-record-drug-assault-charges/

Chase Suspect Has Extensive Arrest Record With Drug, Assault Charges

“Traffic charges, various weapons offenses, dangerous drugs, assault,” said Longmont Police Sgt. Joel Post as he flipped through Stone’s 16-page arrest report dating back 10 years.

“He didn’t want to go back to prison. He just got out of prison four years ago,” said Ellenberg.

Ellenberg said Stone was a well-known meth user. His arrest came on the same day he was due back in court to face drug charges.

Bounty hunter Mel Edington had also been searching for Stone.
“This morning when I heard on the radio the vehicle had been stolen in a high-speed chase coming out of Longmont it didn’t take rocket science to figure out that was our guy,” said Edington

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/child-missing-after-car-left-running-at-longmont-gas-station-was-stolen-early-wednesday

[b]Boy reunited with family

The child was checked by medical personnel and was reunited with his parents at the Brighton police station, Satur said.

"[The boy's mother] had a very rough day, the worst day that could ever happen to a mother - to watch your car with your child get stolen right in front of you," Satur said. "We're talking very short distances. It is not like she left her kid in the car for hours on end. She just parked outside the business and walked in and the guy jumped in the car. So, we're talking maybe 15 or 20 feet."

Satur said the mother will not face any charges for leaving her son in a running vehicle.

[Helicopter] AIRTRACKER7 said it was going 102 knots and having trouble keeping up with the van.

That's approximately 117 mph.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/03/13/wild-chase-suspect-remains-in-hospital-charges-still-pending/

Prosecutors plan on using the 72 hours allowed to them before charging Stone to determine all of the necessary crimes he will be charged with.

“I also want to make sure our charges reflect the true victims that are out there, that we don’t miss anyone. As we know access to the court system and many of its supports are predicated upon you being a named victim in a case — we don’t want to miss any of those,” Brauchler said. “I think obvious things to think about, as you saw, what we saw on camera, were things like the kidnapping, the possibility of an attempted murder of a peace officer, vehicle thefts, the carjacking issues. All of those things … we will be discussing how best to charge moving forward.”

A Colorado State Patrol trooper who was hit and seriously injured during the crash is recovering from his injuries.

Trooper Bellamann Hee was hospitalized in serious condition on Thursday, but he is expected to make a full recovery. Officials say his injuries are to the lower part of his body, but they weren’t specific.

George
March 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/carjacking-suspect-ryan-stone-makes-first-appearance-in-court-ryan-stone-held-on-35m-bond03142014

Ryan Stone was advised of the charges he's facing during a hearing in Castle Rock, where he is being held on $3.5 million bond.

--

The boy was not hurt but Stone hit and seriously injured Colorado State Patrol Trooper Bellamann Hee who was deploying stop sticks.

Court records show Stone was driving at approximately 100 mph when he struck Hee during the chase.

The estimated speed contained in the affidavit came from a deputy who also reported that the minivan "did not make any attempts to avoid Trooper Hee."

Hee suffered serious injuries and was taken into surgery that afternoon. He is expected to make a full recovery.

--

He will be back in court on March 19 at 9 a.m. for the filing of the charges against him.

I will be curious to see how many, assuming they're posted online or in the newspaper or something.

sandydandy
March 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
He should be locked up for the rest of his life.

overpowered
March 18th, 2014, 07:37 PM
I don't know about the rest of his life but I'd like to see him do at least 20 years.

I'll be surprised if he even gets one year.

SkylineObsession
March 23rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
That was crazy. 54 mins just flew by when watching it.

Hopefully the owners of the vehicles stolen get them fixed/replaced for free, via insurance or as a gift.