PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter

thesameguy
March 14th, 2014, 10:18 PM
The very first Kickstarter I funded was for the Ouya, and while it got off to a weak start it has ultimately paid off. The little cube is now fully supported by XBMC and hacked-in Netflix works awesome - the two things I bought it for. It'd be great if it also supported Amazon Prime Streaming, but since I've used that service for two things in four years, I'm not all that beat up. XBMC is 90% of my needs. $129 - because I opted for the optional bronze (ish) finish really well spent. I might actually buy a second.

The second Kickstarter I funded was for the Veronica Mars movie. I'll admit it, I was a huge fan of the show and it didn't take much convincing for my girl to get really into the show as well. (early signs things were going to work out - her instant love affairs with V.Mars and Mike Ness). The movie came out today, but as backers we got access to the day early screening of the movie in SF, which is why we hauled ass down there in the Fiero last night). The movie was great, like genuinely good. A perfect follow up to the TV show. It also felt really special sitting in a movie theater in a big city knowing I was watching a thing I was directly responsible for.

I fucking love Kickstarter. It's really cool taking part in getting something off the ground, and some time later you get a neat present, possibly something very few other people will get. I've funded three other Kickstarters - another movie, a video game, and the Modarri cars (that have their own thread). I think all three are due for completion this year. I'm excited. :)

Reverend Jim
March 15th, 2014, 05:21 AM
So you're the guy who owns an ouya? I've heard of fellers like you, but I figgered it was all a buncha hooey, nobody would really buy a console to play phone games on! But here ya are, sweet Jesus be merciful!

thesameguy
March 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I guess that's thing - I didn't buy it to play phone games on. I don't play phone games on my phone. I hate phone games. I bought it to run XBMC and handle media on the bedroom TV, and after a few months of false starts it's now doing that job great. Part of the deal with the Ouya was a $13.37 credit on the service.... which I still have not used. I am sure I am wrecking their financial model, but whatever, I paid for the hardware and I got the hardware. Done. ;)

21Kid
March 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I really like it too. People always complain about everything being crap. This lets you directly support what is going to be made and you can get some pretty cool perks to. Like seeing the movie early, or getting extras like bronze plating or toy car parts. :)

thesameguy
March 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I haven't experienced the things being crap at all, but I've read a lot of negative press about KS saying the same thing. I guess the project is only as good as the people running it, so maybe folks just need to be more selective about the projects they back. ;) Successful projects come from good people with good ideas and good financing... I am providing the financing, someone else is providing the people and the ideas. I'm definitely not going to back a project that is just a good idea with no people and no money! :)

21Kid
March 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry, I meant some people feel that general merchandise as crap, and Kickstarter as a way to fund only things that they like from the beginning.

thesameguy
March 17th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Oh, got it, and for sure! It's a great tool for finding an audience for something you know people want, but corporate American can't figure out how to market. Obviously the big success story being the Veronica Mars project, which Hollywood wouldn't fund for nearly a decade. Turned out to be a damned decent idea. ;)

Drachen596
March 17th, 2014, 04:02 PM
except for the distribution process used for giving those who funded it their copy of the movie...

TheBenior
March 17th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I backed Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2.

I was satisfied with Shadowrun Returns at launch, I need to get back to it one day now that there are more fan-made levels.

Still waiting on Wasteland 2, but that problem is because they got triple what they asked for, so they added more features and versions. Which takes more time.

Random
March 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Scope creep!

thesameguy
March 17th, 2014, 07:03 PM
except for the distribution process used for giving those who funded it their copy of the movie...

I suppose, but I think they're handling it superbly - either offering refunds or covering the cost of an alternative source. Frankly, I think they are going above and beyond since they were clear about how the digital distribution would be handled from the beginning. I wasn't keen on that methodology a year ago so I upped my pledge to get a physical copy, figuring that would solve whatever problems I might have. That said, Friday night I signed up for Flixster and two minutes later was rewatching the movie on the X360, so it worked out anyway. Maybe now I'll go activate all the other ultraviolet movies I never have.