PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for Hollywood!

Rare White Ape
April 1st, 2014, 05:37 AM
...and the Australian Taxation Office's 60% rebate for major international feature films which are significantly produced here.

Why I say that?

Because I have a new job at working as a dogs body on this:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2126355/

I'm on a swing gang, basically meat heads wot move heavy stuff and decorate sets. It pays shitloads for thee months (essentially earning lots, a little bit at a time) then I live a life of leisure until either my money runs out or I score a gig on the next project.

Can you fucking smelllllllllll what this bloke is cooking?

http://www.moviemadnessvideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rock.jpg

Rob
April 1st, 2014, 05:49 AM
I would fucking wreck Alexandra Daddario.

Jason
April 1st, 2014, 06:01 AM

I was about to make lewd reference to her as well. :up:

Kchrpm
April 1st, 2014, 07:31 AM
That's awesome, man. :up:

Similarly, I just found out a movie is filming entirely in Cincinnati that is supposed to take place in 1950s New York. I'm not gaining from it, though, and it doesn't have the Rock or Mrs Magic Tits :(

21Kid
April 1st, 2014, 07:43 AM
Sounds fun!

thesameguy
April 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM

I suffered through both Percy Jackson movies just for her.

I hope she appreciates it.

Rob
April 1st, 2014, 11:04 AM
She was in a fantastic episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Kchrpm
April 1st, 2014, 11:30 AM
Her (and their) appearances in True Detective were short but memorable.

Freude am Fahren
April 1st, 2014, 12:58 PM
Is she the one that Woody's character was having an affair with?

Kchrpm
April 1st, 2014, 01:15 PM
Yes.

Godson
April 1st, 2014, 07:40 PM
Fuck you I'm jealous.

Dicknose
April 3rd, 2014, 02:39 AM
Is this on the Gold Coast?
A few still happen in Sydney.
A mate of mine did props for Farscape (that's a while back now)

Enjoy, take the money and enjoy some more.

Rare White Ape
April 3rd, 2014, 03:00 AM
Yeah, at Roadshow Studios next door to Movie World, specifically for this company:

http://www.ausfilm.com.au/production-directory/production-services/production-companies-distributors/warner-bros-australian-productions-pty-limited/

There's a big one being filmed in Sydney at the same time as San Andreas, I think starring Donald Sutherland.

Dicknose
April 3rd, 2014, 03:07 AM
Donald or Kiefer, cause Dad is pushing 2 billion years old.

Still get a few here, but it's not they hey days of the Matrix.

Rare White Ape
May 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Currently playing with Alexandra Daddario's... skateboard prop.

Godson
May 5th, 2014, 05:09 PM
fuck off. I don't want to hear about it till you are balls deep.

Rare White Ape
May 19th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Lunch today in the same room as Carla Gugino.

Man I'd tear her apart like a hot chook.

Fans of Watchmen would know what I mean.

Kchrpm
May 19th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Fans of Watchmen, and Sin City, and Suckerpunch, and...

novicius
May 19th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I enjoyed her character in "Girl Walks Into A Bar" (currently on Netflix). :up:

thesameguy
May 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Check out "Women in Trouble" and "Elektra Luxx," if you haven't already.

Godson
May 19th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Man I'd tear her apart like a hot chook.

Fans of Watchmen would know what I mean.

Were you in the room at the same time?

Rare White Ape
May 20th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Yeah big eating marquee with 200 others.

Today was spent on set, a crumbled post-earthquake high rise rooftop. The team I'm in within set decoration had spent the last week putting in huge hours to help get it ready for today so it was good to see it finally kick off and I got to assist the on-set art dept.

Gugino and her stunt dbl had to crawl and stagger their way across the top to higher ground for a heli rescue. The role of helicopter was played by a tennis ball on a big pole.

I'd dare say that Gugino was pushing those tight jeans to their absolute limit.

G'day Mate
May 20th, 2014, 02:07 AM
The role of helicopter was played by a tennis ball on a big pole.

Hah, that's awesome.

Remember when we used to talk about special effects? I love that they can convince us of pretty much anything in films these days because the special effects are so good you wouldn't even know.

Rare White Ape
May 20th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Yep. The tennis ball was for line of sight. And the background (think outdoor set built on crusty car park lined with eucalyptus trees) was very messily blue screened as well. They'll fix it. It's a crutch for sloppy filmmaking.

I saw some of the pre-viz footage this morning before the shoot. No more static B&W storyboards with panning arrows and swooshy lines like the old days. It's already a fully realised CG movie rendered at maybe original Xbox quality, just lacking sound. The character runs and gestures and her hair blows in the wind and she has facial expressions. They could just fill in the effects with a better version of that.

Rumour has it Dwayne Johnson's pre-viz was compiled by the producers on a Saturday afternoon over a bottle of Wild Turkey and a copy of WWE 2K14.

Rare White Ape
May 27th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Current rumours abound that both Prometheus 2 (this year) and Blade Runner 2 (next year) may be produced in Australia.

Siiiick!

thesameguy
May 27th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Why on earth would there be a Prometheus 2? The first one wasn't shit enough?

FaultyMario
May 27th, 2014, 09:37 AM
:lol:

Rare White Ape
May 27th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Not having seen the first one, I couldn't possibly comment.

But since movies are a money making enterprise, quality would be one of the last factors in a film business calculation.

Dicknose
May 28th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Those dumb enough to pay for a shit movie will pay for a shit sequel!

thesameguy
May 28th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Your comment fairly reeks of truth.

Kchrpm
May 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Speaking of which, I am totally seeing the new Transformers. OPTIMUS PRIME RIDES GRIMLOCK!

thesameguy
May 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I don't think I can. The first one was such a nice setup, and the remaining two so bad I was happy that Bay said he was only making three. I has no idea a fourth was even slated until I randomly saw a trailer for it a week or two ago. Dumping Shia LaBeouf is a great gesture (though I don't have a problem with him as much as his failure of a character) but I don't think a 100% recast can save my favorite childhood memories from Michael Bay. I'm sure I will Netflix it at some point, but I'm not going to pay $10 for it. It's worth maybe $0.50 to me.

Godson
May 28th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I watched the first and called it good.

Kchrpm
May 29th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Luckily I didn't have much childhood invested in Transformers, so I can just enjoy the crazy without it ruining any memories.

Related: TMNT has been through so many versions that even if Bay "ruins" it I won't care that much.

thesameguy
May 29th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Heh. Truth.

Rare White Ape
June 13th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Gotta spend all day on set tomorrow with Carla Gugino and Kylie Minogue.

OH GOD ITS A HARD LIFE

Godson
June 13th, 2014, 06:32 AM
nice pun..

G'day Mate
June 13th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I get it!!

(PS. watch out that you don't trip over Kylie)

Alan P
June 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think I can. The first one was such a nice setup, and the remaining two so bad I was happy that Bay said he was only making three. I has no idea a fourth was even slated until I randomly saw a trailer for it a week or two ago. Dumping Shia LaBeouf is a great gesture (though I don't have a problem with him as much as his failure of a character) but I don't think a 100% recast can save my favorite childhood memories from Michael Bay. I'm sure I will Netflix it at some point, but I'm not going to pay $10 for it. It's worth maybe $0.50 to me.

I fully intend to watch it. In the comfort of my own home via the best CAM copy I can find. Michael 'explosions are a viable substitute for a script' Bay has ruined many a movie. I would love someone else to do a transformers movie but I guess Hasbro etc are scared of changing a winning recipe.

Rare White Ape
June 15th, 2014, 08:02 PM
The scene we did on Saturday is easily the best one in the film.

When you all eventually see it (no obligation, just sayin...), we made a classy restaurant in a high rise San Francisco building and then proceeded to shake it up with an earthquake.

You've all seen good continuous steadycam work with well choreographed performers and crazy shit going on all around the place. They're exciting scenes. Try being there when they're being made - "Holy shit" doesn't do it justice! Even watching from the little video split monitors they set up so that we can watch it go down live from the A-camera* still sent chills up the spine. It was hard not to make a noise and then the director called "Cut" and a huge cheer was let out. Then we got to watch it again and again as it replayed on the monitors.

It was an amazing day among all the good days I've had on the job.

*The set itself is surrounded by lighting and curtains and blue screens so we couldn't actually look upon it with our own eyes.

Kchrpm
June 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Long steadicam take + simulated earthquake? Iiiiinteresting.

Rare White Ape
June 21st, 2014, 08:08 PM
As I stand here right now, I'm on set in a Brisbane alleyway watching Miss Daddario run up and down a hallway to warm up for a scene. I'm staring at her gap. She's wearing tight jeans.

Rare White Ape
July 23rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
It's wrap week!

Well, last week was wrap week. This week is becoming known to me as bludge like a cunt week. It's 15:50 and I'm at home. We got dismissed for the day an hour ago. I've had two beers. I'm still on the clock until 18:30.

We literally only do three hours of real work per day and get paid for ten. Work at the moment involves packing up the studios and lockups for when San Andreas moves out on August 1. So what accounts for the missing four hours of the day, between real work and beer o'clock?

I cooked a BBQ and we threw the frisbee around. That's two hours. The other two are a mystery. Probably sleep. I can't remember.

Movies, huh?

Rare White Ape
July 23rd, 2014, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah, on wrap day (last Thursday night) the production team played a rough cut trailer for the film to all the crew. I might be biased but the trailer was outstanding.

Also on wrap day Paul Giamatti shamelessly farted big time during a take and that made it into the blooper reel they played after the trailer. You've probably never heard The Rock swear before but he does it a lot when he stuffs his lines. Funny as.

Dicknose
July 24th, 2014, 01:49 AM
What weight frisbee?

Rare White Ape
July 24th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I don't know, but it was yellow.

Kchrpm
July 24th, 2014, 05:47 AM
:up: :up: :up: :up:

You might win at the "if 15 year old me saw me today" game. Well, you or Bryan.

Rare White Ape
July 25th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Found out today that I finish today. Now having an unemployment celebratory beer!

I might end up on the crew for I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here later this year. It's one of those vapid Survivor type shows. A British season immediately followed by a German season. Watch this space...

Dicknose
July 25th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Had a friend work on that show.
Nice to be up north QLD, but he said it was one of the worst shows he has done.
Although he did say most of the crew spent their time drinking.

Rare White Ape
July 25th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Celebrity is filmed near Murwillumbah these days, so only an hour from home and a much nicer climate.

Dicknose
July 26th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Sounds much better than an hour drive into the rainforest.
Good luck and I hope this gig works out for you.

Rare White Ape
July 26th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks DN :)

Rare White Ape
July 29th, 2014, 01:59 AM
So it looks like I'll be helping someone make a TV commercial across the weekend.

Cool!

Dicknose
July 29th, 2014, 03:22 AM
So it this now a "career"?

thesameguy
February 16th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I am watching this movie right this second.