thesameguy
April 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM
That is pretty darned cool.

Freude am Fahren
April 9th, 2014, 03:54 PM
That's pretty badass

Sad, little man
April 9th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Big deal, Gran Turismo has been doing this with the entire car for ten years.

Seriously though, does this have any applications beyond off-roading? I don't really care to see the road that's right under my hood. Odds are, I just saw it a second ago when it was in front of my hood.

MR2 Fan
April 9th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Big deal, Gran Turismo has been doing this with the entire car for ten years.

Seriously though, does this have any applications beyond off-roading? I don't really care to see the road that's right under my hood. Odds are, I just saw it a second ago when it was in front of my hood.

Hitting apexes in corners?

Sad, little man
April 9th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I'm no professional driver, but when driving at high speeds, shouldn't you be looking much further ahead on a track than what is directly under your hood?

thesameguy
April 9th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Could be useful for parking or low-speed maneuvers - seeing where parking stops are or moving around potholes in traffic, where cars in front may have obscured them.

MR2 Fan
April 9th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I'm no professional driver, but when driving at high speeds, shouldn't you be looking much further ahead on a track than what is directly under your hood?

I dunno...Paging CudaMan

Random
April 9th, 2014, 07:40 PM

Yes. In fact, the act of not looking far enough ahead is often called "driving your hood."

thesameguy
April 9th, 2014, 09:55 PM
What if the hood automatically displayed the road ahead, gauged by speed. Then you could always drive your hood and not even care.

:p

Dicknose
April 10th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Driving my sisters Volvo x90, got in when it was parked and didn't notice a small median at the passenger side in the car park. Would have been handy to see thru the car.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2014, 09:11 AM
The display projects image onto the windshield... using it as some sort of HUD, but even in my SUV, I don't really see the hood at all! I need the dashboard to be transparent! Further, assuming LandRovers do have big hood in the way, the drivers head would have to stay super stationary in order to make sure the image projects correctly from his point of view? Or is it some sort of 3D holographic projection? Wonder if the camera in that youtube demo can be moved around, will it still look as cool?

Anyway, for sure it's great idea... perhaps something like this can be incorporated into something like future Google glass.