PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari LaFerrari Reviews

XHawkeye
April 29th, 2014, 05:19 PM
http://youtu.be/CaC3jJgtDOE

http://youtu.be/9fKepcm5hm4

The breathlessness gets a little nauseating but what can you do when reviewing a Ferrari.

Sad, little man
April 29th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Good lord, I never noticed those side mirrors. Are those really necessary? The car looks like it's reaching out for someone to hug it.

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2014, 06:19 PM
When you have hips like that, yeah.

Sad, little man
April 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Seems like tiny little cameras embedded in the rear quarters broadcasting to little screens inside the car would have been the classy thing to do. Eff the safety regs.

CudaMan
April 29th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Are those really the exact same headlights from the 458? Ferrari really couldn't be bothered to do anything a bit special or different for their flagship?

[The Boxster/996 headlight deal bugged the crap out of me too. Get off my lawn!]

SkylineObsession
April 29th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I don't think they are the same, but they are similar. From memory.

Yw-slayer
April 29th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I find most super car reviews pointless now. Yeah sure, they're all quick, no shit. They can all smoke their tyres. They are all now relatively "user-friendly". 99% of the population can't buy and run them anyway. The only reason for most of these reviews is to jack off over technology, which seems somewhat pointless when the tech can't be used on the road 99% of the time. Only really outrageous LOOKING cars, like most Lambos, excite me.

Maybe I'm just ruined by the huge number of fast and high-end cars here that spend most of their lives sitting in traffic. Maybe I'n just getting old. I know that I'm more impressed by fast, high-end practical cars like wagons, but conversely it may be their availability that has turned me off "traditional" supercars. And there are also few Ferraris that I like. It could be a combination of the above.

The359
April 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM
None of the new breed hybrid supercars excite me either. The LaFerrari is as ugly as the Enzo, the P1 is impressive but a bit boy-racer-ish, and the 918 is bringing up the rear. Agera R over all of them.

Yw-slayer
April 30th, 2014, 12:05 AM
I actually like the looks of the Enzo and, to some extent, the LaFerrari. It's just that they leave me cold.

I think the other thing that has made me think that most supercars or fast cars are pointless is the Model S. I drove it yesterday. Fine, it was a top-of-the-line model. But it's fast as all hell, being faster than pretty much most supercars out there corners like it's on rails. It carries 5 (+2 in America) and has a huge boot. It's comfortable. The interior trim is acceptable (not great). The instruments, AV, connectivity, etc. are all excellent. It also costs - at least here in HK - around 1/5 the price of something like an FF or a MP4-12C. I'm sure that even in America it is still cheaper than both. So what's the point of the latter two cars?

M4FFU
April 30th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I'll wait till Chris Harris' version passes his embargo date before I'm bothered what the press says.

However, yeah - I don't get in a hype over hyper cars. I used to, but my tastes are maturing. I like proper race cars, or 'normal' road cars. I like that the Ferrari has a V12, but I still lust over the Carrera GT to if I had to 'pick' one it was always going to be the 918. (although I'd take a 919 any day!)

Kchrpm
April 30th, 2014, 05:22 AM
So what's the point of the latter two cars?
The sound
Track days - the Model S is super fast at road speeds but runs out of breath, so to speak, in the triple digits where supercars are just getting started.
The looks

XHawkeye
April 30th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Speaking of Chris Harris

1/1 Boys 'n Girls - I'm v.lucky to have driven LaFerrari, you can read a quick review on @RoadandTrack later today. Sadly the @DRIVE vid ...

...isn't allowed to go live for ages because of the embargo thing. All very tiresome. There is one chance to see it early though....

....someone just has to write a cheque made out to 'Ferrari S.p.A' for €50,000. Then we can all see it tmrw! pic.twitter.com/dcCMsqP0jS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmcxGmVIIAADhNZ.jpg

So I'm not allowed to say anything outside the nominated outlet about the LaFerrari until 26 May. I can, however, confirm that it is red.

Reason the Evo, Autocar boys have their vids up is that they're further up the food chain. Kind of understandable given my recent history!

But ask yourself - would you flounce and say 'fuck you, I won't drive it' or just deal with it, enjoy the car and post a vid when you can?

I chose the latter. End of the day I love cars and I just wanted a go in a LaF. And you'll love the video. When it eventually airs....

The fact remains that someone has paid me to thrash the shit out of a 950hp Ferrari. I just can't get very upset about that!!!

Freude am Fahren
April 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I'm confused, what's the difference between publishing and syndicating to third parties?

21Kid
April 30th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Please fix the name...

reminds me of Le Car.

FaultyMario
April 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Publishing it in your own publication. (TMZ Exclusive!!! Ohmygod!)

Syndicating it to other publications. (images courtesy of TMZ!!!)

FaultyMario
April 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
reminds me of Le Car.

You mean the non-turbo Renault 5? :P

Yw-slayer
April 30th, 2014, 10:36 AM
The sound
Track days - the Model S is super fast at road speeds but runs out of breath, so to speak, in the triple digits where supercars are just getting started.
The looks

Sound - OK, I guess. I prefer the Vette sound.

Track days - Yeah, that doesn't really figure high on the list of priorities.

Looks - The Tesla looks great, almost as good as the LaFerrari. IMO only the Lambos and true exotics (Veyron excepted) have it beat.

Overall, I think that the Tesla creams cars like the Bentleys, Astons, etc. It also does 98% of what the true exotics do, while being far cheaper to buy and own (at least here).

thesameguy
April 30th, 2014, 11:46 AM
However, yeah - I don't get in a hype over hyper cars. I used to, but my tastes are maturing. I like proper race cars, or 'normal' road cars. I like that the Ferrari has a V12, but I still lust over the Carrera GT to if I had to 'pick' one it was always going to be the 918. (although I'd take a 919 any day!)

I used to as well, but back when I was a kid supercars and hypercars were much faster than quite literally everything else, more difficult to drive, and they all seemed very experimental. These days, these cars are all pointlessly fast yet in direct competition with each other. They're easier to drive on account of simply better design and electronic aids. They seem quite a bit more predictable - somewhere between formulaic and merely evolutionary. They are simultaneously less interesting and less useful.

In 1990 when a Mustang 5.0 - a very fast car - offered just over 200hp and very little else and anyone could easily see how there was room for more. A 500hp Diablo seemed like the expression of that more - but still somehow applicable to daily life, albeit barely. In 2014, a Mustang has 400hp, is a totally fine way to spend some time, and offers performance way beyond what daily life can handle. What joy can possibly be found in a 950hp LaFerrari? It's beyond silly. At idle it's probably making more horsepower than is useful. It's roadholding and responsiveness are in excess of what any mere mortal can expect to ever use.

Hypercars of the olden days seemed like experiments in what if, cars made from dreams - modern hypercars feel like computerized optimizations of key variables. There just isn't joy in them anymore. I find a lot more joy in George's M150 than a LaFerrari, and I think crawling is an incredibly dumb activity.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Overall, I think that the Tesla creams cars like the Bentleys, Astons, etc. It also does 98% of what the true exotics do, while being far cheaper to buy and own (at least here).

Word. Sad though it may be, a Tesla is one of my automotive aspirations.

Alan P
April 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I think I must be getting old. Or boring. Probably both but I find myself rather underwhelmed at some of these cars. I will most likely never ever see one in the flesh, never mind actually sit in one. As for driving one? Well I think Barack Obama would be more likely to win the nomination for the state of Alabama then I would of ever driving one. For that reason I've developed a kind of mild disinterest in the P1, La F and Porsche 918. I find myself looking more at cars I have a snowballs chance in Hell of actually owning at some point, maybe, if things go my way than any of these. Epic cars, it just can't get excited by them.

It would seem I am not alone in this either.

TheBenior
April 30th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I haven't been all that interested in most supercars since just after college.

I think part of it is just that they're so far removed from what I could ever afford, so why bother thinking about them?

Then, as others have said, there's the fact that they provide vast potential performance that's mostly unusable outside of a track. My Miata was far more fun than my Mazdaspeed3, in spite of the 180 wheel horsepower differential.

Kchrpm
April 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Sound - OK, I guess. I prefer the Vette sound.
Well yeah, but you were comparing it to the Tesla :)

Track days - Yeah, that doesn't really figure high on the list of priorities.
For super rich folks who want a toy car, it probably does.

Looks - The Tesla looks great, almost as good as the LaFerrari. IMO only the Lambos and true exotics (Veyron excepted) have it beat.
Not saying the Tesla looks bad, but it doesn't look like a crazy exotic prototype race car thing. It's not supposed to. These hypercars look the way they're supposed to look to attract the buyer they're trying to attract: ultrawealthy toy shoppers. You say why get one instead of a Tesla, they say get both without blinking an eye.

Freude am Fahren
April 30th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Publishing it in your own publication. (TMZ Exclusive!!! Ohmygod!)

Syndicating it to other publications. (images courtesy of TMZ!!!)

Exactly. So why can't Chris Harris publish his review yet? What is the "Nominated Outlet" he refers to?

Yw-slayer
April 30th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah, sure. I think I could live without engine sounds on a day by day basis.

I know what you mean about rich people saying get both, but my point is that the Tesla has killed the appeal of supercars for non-rich people, such as myself, IMO.

Phil_SS
April 30th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I'll wait till Chris Harris' version passes his embargo date before I'm bothered what the press says.

And I agree with everyone here. I just can't get that excited by cars that have such immense power. Totally unusable even on most race tracks. I would be much more impressed with Ferrari making a Miata fighter with Italian style.

And I think that is the main reason that the classic Ferraris and other great sports and GT cars of that era are going through the roof in value. The visceral feel just can't be obtained by pretty much anything nowadays.

Godson
April 30th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I dig them.

But I also want something that makes my head spin. That is when makes a hypercar special. I shouldn't be able to utilize it to the fullest outside of a track.

With that being said. I'd have a track in my backyard for this fucker.

KillerB
April 30th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Seriously, could you imagine if Ferrari set their sights on making the absolute best sports car they could with a maximum of 250 hp? I'm thinking it would probably have something like a 1.6L absolute screamer of a motor (V6? V8?) and they probably could get it well under 2,000 lbs. Think a cost-no-object Elise with a proper Italian engine.

They could sell them for $125,000 without going too far downmarket.

Godson
April 30th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah, that'd be nuts.

And I'd love to have it.

But they'd never do it. Think we should get a petition?

KillerB
April 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Well the Alfa 4C isn't that far off from what I'm talking about, but not exotic enough. Maybe 300 hp instead?

Godson
April 30th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah, and the price is nicer.

I always say I don't want more horsepower, just better power. (I still like the nutter cars like the LaF) But yeah, I think 300hp is the sweet spot for a road car.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Well the Alfa 4C isn't that far off from what I'm talking about, but not exotic enough. Maybe 300 hp instead?

I think the only thing holding the 4C back is the "common" powerplant. If Ferrari put a small six or, hell, some crazy triple in, it would feel pretty darned special.

Godson
April 30th, 2014, 11:26 PM
So what we are all asking for is the reincarnation of the Dino brand huh?

Yw-slayer
May 1st, 2014, 02:46 AM
If you want thrills, just get a BRZ (with PSSes), or if you have extra cash, an Elise, Boxster, or Boxster S. Anything more is - at least over here - a waste of money.

Blerpa
May 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Seriously, could you imagine if Ferrari set their sights on making the absolute best sports car they could with a maximum of 250 hp? I'm thinking it would probably have something like a 1.6L absolute screamer of a motor (V6? V8?) and they probably could get it well under 2,000 lbs. Think a cost-no-object Elise with a proper Italian engine.

They could sell them for $125,000 without going too far downmarket.

Basically a new Lancia Stratos.

Blerpa
May 1st, 2014, 02:27 PM
If you want thrills, just get a BRZ (with PSSes), or if you have extra cash, an Elise, Boxster, or Boxster S. Anything more is - at least over here - a waste of money.

I'd rather get a Cayman than any of those cars you mentioned, especially buttugly Boxsters.

Yw-slayer
May 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM
No one cares what you think. ;) But I did intend to mention Cayman rather than Boxster.

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
I don't know what the hell has gotten into you people.

You know, I don't usually own supercars, but if someday I do get to own one, I'd probably own "La"Ferrari!

Anyway, for average Joes who use his car for daily commutes, other than Fiats or VWs, any European cars are waste of money. I'd only get them if I have enough money to waste.

LHutton
May 2nd, 2014, 06:25 AM
Good lord, I never noticed those side mirrors. Are those really necessary? The car looks like it's reaching out for someone to hug it.
I bet they produce downforce.

And I agree with everyone here. I just can't get that excited by cars that have such immense power. Totally unusable even on most race tracks. I would be much more impressed with Ferrari making a Miata fighter with Italian style.
Like the Alfa Romeo 4C? (Oh someone beat me.)

I'm still into supercars. Maybe my immaturity. Even seemingly senseless stuff like the Koenigsegg One:1.

Ali
May 16th, 2014, 03:46 PM

It's coming. The final slide of the Alfa part of the recent Fiat/Chrysler presentation in Detroit...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2939/13976511289_d6b9e5bf77_z.jpg